Stargate: The Original Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate: The Original Movie

This thread is for discussion of the original "Stargate" movie.
    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Okay, when Daniel found Earth's gate address in the caves, he had all but the last symbol, and proclaimed that he could not get the gate to work without the last symbol. My question is, if the only symbol that they didn't know was the last one, why didn't they just try every remaining symbol until they got a lock? There would only be 25 or so symbols left, assuming symbols never repeat (which they don't). I'm surprised I haven't thought of it before.
    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

I have no idea. I guess it's just another plot hole that makes it interesting. I never thought of it before, either.
      Tripudire est irritus
      Jumping is useless

Nu ani Lunatas
      We are the Mooninites

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
        Okay, when Daniel found Earth's gate address in the caves, he had all but the last symbol, and proclaimed that he could not get the gate to work without the last symbol. My question is, if the only symbol that they didn't know was the last one, why didn't they just try every remaining symbol until they got a lock?
        By that time, I think Ra had already landed and they couldn't have held the gate long enough to dial out anyway. When hiding from Ra in the caves, they found the seventh symbol and whole argument would have been rendered moot.

Additionally, the whole question of how exactly they managed to dial back to Earth (apparently) without the presense of a DHD remains murky. The novelization has Kawalsky manually dialling up the gate but from whence the power cometh, no one knows. It's unclear how the gate would react to a manual dial if the address inputed is incorrect. Reset might be impossible without a dialling computer or DHD.
        END OF LINE

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
          Okay, when Daniel found Earth's gate address in the caves, he had all but the last symbol, and proclaimed that he could not get the gate to work without the last symbol. My question is, if the only symbol that they didn't know was the last one, why didn't they just try every remaining symbol until they got a lock? There would only be 25 or so symbols left, assuming symbols never repeat (which they don't). I'm surprised I haven't thought of it before.
          Speaking of that, did the Air Force really need Daniel at all? The only thing he gave them was the last symbol. Katherine very clearly says they already had the first six. Is it really worth bringing a new guy in just so he could tell them which of the +/- 30 symbols to try? They could just try one a day and get inside of a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Ananias
            Speaking of that, did the Air Force really need Daniel at all? The only thing he gave them was the last symbol. Katherine very clearly says they already had the first six. Is it really worth bringing a new guy in just so he could tell them which of the +/- 30 symbols to try? They could just try one a day and get inside of a month.
            The problem was that they never realized they needed seven symbols. They recognized six, and assumed that's what they needed. And when they couldn't get it to work, they figured maybe the symbols had some other meaning that they'd need a brilliant mind to figure out, which is where Daniel came in. Of course, all he needed to find was that they had simply overlooked the PoO...
            Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
              The problem was that they never realized they needed seven symbols. They recognized six, and assumed that's what they needed. And when they couldn't get it to work, they figured maybe the symbols had some other meaning that they'd need a brilliant mind to figure out, which is where Daniel came in. Of course, all he needed to find was that they had simply overlooked the PoO...
              Also they're are nine chevrons, they didn't know what the gate was for...

Basically they didn't know the gate needed seven
              sigpic
              Banner By JME2

Comment

But it's safe to assum that if they used seven symbols to get to Abydos they would need seven to get back. Plus the PoO would look diffrent then all the other symbols on the gate representing conslelations. So the whole trial and error thing would work...but if there was a DHD with the gate, isn't the PoO automatically put in when they pressed the red activation jewel. Providing of course they knew how to work the DHD.
                Alex :: UE Photographer @ Large
                www.alcsnet.com/urbex-milton/
                2 Cor 4:7

Comment

Originally posted by Axle
                  So the whole trial and error thing would work...but if there was a DHD with the gate, isn't the PoO automatically put in when they pressed the red activation jewel.
                  No. The seventh symbol has always been manually inputed on the DHD.
                  END OF LINE

Comment

but if there was a DHD with the gate, isn't the PoO automatically put in when they pressed the red activation jewel. Providing of course they knew how to work the DHD.
                    This has been argued to death. THe Big Red Button should be the PoO because the DHD has 38 symbols. But the PoO symbol is on the DHD, while the standard stargate symbol aquila is absent, so therefore the PoO must be manually imputed.
                    Rocky

Comment

But it's safe to assum that if they used seven symbols to get to Abydos they would need seven to get back. Plus the PoO would look diffrent then all the other symbols on the gate representing conslelations. So the whole trial and error thing would work...but if there was a DHD with the gate, isn't the PoO automatically put in when they pressed the red activation jewel. Providing of course they knew how to work the DHD.
                      Yes but we weren't talking about Dnaiel not doing on the way back we talking about why didn't catherines tema didn't do it in their two years before Daniel showed up.
                      sigpic
                      Banner By JME2

Comment

Ah, sorry. Didn't know the context. Ah, the joys of plot holes.
                        Alex :: UE Photographer @ Large
                        www.alcsnet.com/urbex-milton/
                        2 Cor 4:7

Comment

Originally posted by Ananias
                          That's probably the biggest plot hole of the entire movie. Just step around it carefully and you wont get hurt

The problem here is of course that the original movie was a fast paced action movie that wasn't all that concerned about 'getting it right'. The same can be said for Devlin and Emmerich's next work, Indepence Day. These kind of movies are great 'popcorn flicks' but have the nasty tendancy to break down once you start examining them too closely.

Comment

Originally posted by ibwolf
                            These kind of movies are great 'popcorn flicks' but have the nasty tendancy to break down once you start examining them too closely.
                            I have a friend in the industry that calls these kinds of movies "boat payment movies" because they are made to make a great deal of money, but not for either art, critical thought, or even really for long term profit because they show best during that first summer release...

Comment

And it really took off, with the show and Atlantis.

I don't know if this has been asked before, but how would a Special Edition work out? Something that maybe included a shot of a DHD or something to better fit continuity?
                              A Quick Word from the Far Side of the Galaxy

Comment

Working...
                              X