This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Transporter as a weapon

We've seen that mass and size really have no effect on what Asgard beaming can transport and I have been wondering lately why they don't just use the beaming itself as a weapon. Would it be possible to just lock on to a crucial part of a ship, or just a big chunk of the ship and then beam it off into another part of space?
    sigpic

nice idea, not sure if the transporter would just try to take the whole ship as 1 object though, but that might be safety protocols (easily bypassed normally, unless the plot requires more time )
    sigpic
    EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
    -Liberty Prime

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
      nice idea, not sure if the transporter would just try to take the whole ship as 1 object though, but that might be safety protocols (easily bypassed normally, unless the plot requires more time )
      It can be locked on more specifically as when captain whats his face, Daedalus captain had a goauld in him they beam that out.

Could be interesting to see, but better if we just beam all personnel outside and steal the ship.
      "I don't know what Irony means but I use it alot, Ironic isn't it"

"Sure there have been deaths and injuries in boxing, but none of them serious"

Bloke:Fat Penguin
      Woman:What
      Bloke:I just wanted to say something that would break the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Salas1 View Post
        It can be locked on more specifically as when captain whats his face, Daedalus captain had a goauld in him they beam that out.

Could be interesting to see, but better if we just beam all personnel outside and steal the ship.
        that would be cool

Comment

Originally posted by Salas1 View Post

don't let "caldwells 2ic" hear you call him "whats his face" and it did require hermiod if i remember.

like your idea though
          sigpic
          -Liberty Prime

Comment

well theres always the two brainics of sga/sg1

Comment

The only problem is that, will the transporter penetrate the sheilds of the other ship?
              Company of Thieves

Daniel: You might want to prepare to return fire.

Marks: For the record, Im always prepared. I just have to push this button.

Comment

The Asgard did use transporters as a weapon. It just doesn't work if the target is shielded, or if they're energy-weapon resistant like the Replicator blocks.
                sigpic
                "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                ~David Hewlett

Comment

What about converting the transport Rings into a direct energy beam weapon?

Remember Lost City pt 2, when super smart Jack convert the cargo ships rings into an energy beam device, it tunnel a half mile of ice ,deep into the Ancient outpost.

I may not be too powerful ,but it can be use as some sort of demolition
                  device ,for creating trench , destorying mountains and look very cool ,like the mothership of ID4.

The beaming tech is replacing most of the ring function. but we still keep it on the B 304 ,because Ori still use them and many milkyway world has them near the ring , so why not convert it as secondary weapon/demolition digger.

Comment

Originally posted by Asuran View Post
                    The only problem is that, will the transporter penetrate the shields of the other ship?
                    No, in Off the Grid we had to make sure the shields were down so we could beam in and out.

I am guessing even beaming certain parts of ships out may be a problem. We took forever in the calculations to beam the symbiote out of Caldwell, i am guessing it wouldn't be a quick job to do the same for maybe the power source. We have seen a single Beliskener beam out multiple pyramids and troops at the same time, maybe one day we could just beam the entire ship, shields and all into a buffer and delete it.
                    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by Asuran View Post
                      The only problem is that, will the transporter penetrate the sheilds of the other ship?
                      No, beams cannot penetrate anything that contains a shield protecting it!

If they could beam a skyscraper up, then they could potentially beam something the size of a ship to somewhere else. The only thing I can think that may cause them problems could be energy or emissions coming off the power core or sublight/hyperdrive engines. It may affect their targetting sensors or whatever from getting a total lock on. Maybe even the mass of the ship is too big or they don't have enough power to do it to a really big enemy ship.

I'd loved to have seen them use this or attempt it, it's exactly the same situation as them deciding to cloak Atlantis with a PJ cloaking generator, yet 'forgetting' or ignoring to even attempt it on Daedalus. They use the beam as a last minute saviour then don't bother ever using it again on anything.

We know they can beam people in & out of virtually any kind of ship within reason. So perhaps they may not be able to beam the whole ship, but it may be possible to beam out huge sections of it into space.

The reason why I think they ignore this sort of stuff is because they don't want to overuse or to expect fans to automatically assume it come to the rescue each & every time. It'd be rather stupid to have them use it one week to save themselves, then stumble & bumble another week on a similar situation but forget to use the beaming tech again.

Still what can you do because it'll never change anything!

Comment

There is also no ship we can beam parts out of when they are defended. There is also problems like calculating movement of the enemy ship as well, in shorter terms we would not be able to lock on.
                        Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                          There is also no ship we can beam parts out of when they are defended.
                          Agreed. If the shields are up, then there's a problem.

Then again, Wraith ships don't seem to have shields, so teleporting chunks of the hull away from a wraith ship should be pretty easy. Then again, Wraith can jam Asgard beams (How? Magic I suppose).

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                          There is also problems like calculating movement of the enemy ship as well, in shorter terms we would not be able to lock on.
                          I don't think this would be as much a problem as you think. They've beamed to ships that are moving before, since all things are moving (relatively speaking).

If they can fire weapons at a target, then they can use teleport beams.
                          Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

They should be able to program the beam as a weapon which would indiscrimentally beam a chunk of ship into space. It's not like we want to beam out a precise piece of equipment - just material.

Can you imagine the beam hooked into a fire control system? Beam up darts and deposit them as individual atoms in space.

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                              They should be able to program the beam as a weapon which would indiscrimentally beam a chunk of ship into space. It's not like we want to beam out a precise piece of equipment - just material.

Can you imagine the beam hooked into a fire control system? Beam up darts and deposit them as individual atoms in space.
                              or beam the suicide darts to the far side of the enemy ship ............... about 5 feet from the enemy hull
                              sigpic
                              -Liberty Prime

Comment

Working...
                              X