X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to the alliance?

spolier space

Is anyone else interested what happened to the alliance? maybe it is in the ancient's computer, like a filed history, i know a lot of you disargee with this idea but i think atlantis can and should tire up a lot of stories from SG1

I don't think that Atlantis can really tie up issues about the Alliance because I don't think the Alliance was formed when the group of Ancients in Atlantis went to Pegesus, and it was already in massive decline when they came back.

Mio's convinced me of the theory that only a small percentage of the Ancient civilization went with Atlantis to Pegesus (after all, a viable population for any species can't live in one city, no matter how big it is or if it can fly around). So the Alliance is a story for the SG1 end of the universe, not Atlantis. IMO.
    Last edited by Major Fischer; 25 September 2004, 05:33 PM.

Comment

The alliance was probably formed by Ancients that were still in the Milky Way. Think about it. Not all of them could fit in Atlantis. So, around 25 thousand years ago, the bulk of the ancients, in the Milky Way, form the Alliance.
      sigpic

Comment

I hope I find out more about the alliance because the suspence is killing me.

Comment

Originally posted by rmbeast
          I hope I find out more about the alliance because the suspence is killing me.
          The suspense from all the way back in season 2's The Firth Race? I kind of doubt we'll hear much about it to be honest. It's a bit like the Furlings. Mure useful to TPTB undefined.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
            Mio's convinced me of the theory that only a small percentage of the Ancient civilization went with Atlantis to Pegesus (after all, a viable population for any species can't live in one city, no matter how big it is or if it can fly around). So the Alliance is a story for the SG1 end of the universe, not Atlantis. IMO.
            Spoilers

But they didn't all live in Atlantis. They went to Pegasus to spread life across a galaxy which had none (presumably because the Wraith had scarfed it all) and seeded a thousand worlds. Then, when they woke the Wraith they were utterly overwhelmed and forced back, retreating to the focal point and the only route home; Atlantis.

Given their bold ambitions, the scope of their plan and the fact that if the story of Atlantis is the one told to Solon it must represent pretty much the last hurrah of the corporeal Ancients in this galaxy as well as in Pegasus, it seems quite probable that Atlantis carried the bulk of the surviving Ancients in suspended animation. If Aiyana was left at Atlantus when the city departed and she had the plague, it is possible that most of the Ancients were dead or Ascended by that time. There may well have only been a small number going out and then a small number coming back, any population growth having been countered by the depredations of the Wraith.

Maybe the group who went to Atlantis rejected Ascension, or it was discovered by the few who remained after the city had left. Either way, the Ancient culture in this galaxy would seem to have been in decline at that stage; hardly the kind of civilisation to be venturing bold plans and grand alliances.

Oh yes: The Furlings - fourteen foot tall killing machines.
            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
              Maybe the group who went to Atlantis rejected Ascension, or it was discovered by the few who remained after the city had left. Either way, the Ancient culture in this galaxy would seem to have been in decline at that stage; hardly the kind of civilisation to be venturing bold plans and grand alliances.
              It's probably only the ones from Atlantis who ascended. The ancients left in the Milky way probably all died off, but the Atlantians had their ascention research to fall back on.
              sigpic

Comment

And they didn't bother to share it with their friends? That's just selfish!
                sum ergo cogitum
                I am therefore I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                  It's probably only the ones from Atlantis who ascended. The ancients left in the Milky way probably all died off, but the Atlantians had their ascention research to fall back on.
                  But if the ones who went to Atlantis Ascended, why did they have any trouble with the Wraith? Clearly the Wraith were able to go toe-to-toe with the corporeal Ancients, with all their powers and technology, and win, but if they were in any shape for a stand-up fight with the Ascended, Atlantis would be one big column of steam by now, whether the shield was functioning or not. Orlin said that everything we've seen the Others do is small potatoes compared to what they could do if they wanted.

We can say with some confidence, therefore, that the Ancients who retreated from Pegasus were not Ascended. So: What if they Ascended after they came back? If that were so, why are the Wraith still out there. We know that the Ascended Ancients chose a path of non-interference; why would the Ancients from Atlantis do that when they've left their children - the lives that they created in the Pegasus Galaxy - to the mercy of the Wraith?

The key rule is never interfere with the path to Ascension and I can see they might have that rule regardless, but to say "Oh, now we've developed this mighty power let's bog off and be mysterious, rather than destroy the force which might destroy all our works" seems a little unlikely. If it had been the Atlantis Ancients who learned to Ascend, I can not accept that they simply chose not to go back and do something about the Wraith, however hideous the consequences might have been. They left their children out there, while they crawled home to lick their wounds and die; they did not come back to launch an ambitious new programme of metaphysical research.

I think that the Ascended must already have made their rule by then, and that they must have enforced it even as regards the returning Ancients. Why else would they still have been wandering the Earth in corporeal form and chatting about Atlantis to random Greeks?

Comment

Originally posted by Champos
                    And they didn't bother to share it with their friends? That's just selfish!
                    Clearly. They let a bunch of them die out (including Aniya, who clearly didn't want to stay behind on Earth.)
                    Rocky

Comment

yeah mio's theory about only a small percantage went has to be very much close to the truth. because i thought that the alliance was formed many thousands of years ago, not many millions (when atlantis left for pegasus). I mean it onyl makes sense

Comment

But the alliance meeting chamber was falling into the sea. The Ancients built things to last; I can't believe that was a structure built mere thousands of years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                          But the alliance meeting chamber was falling into the sea. The Ancients built things to last; I can't believe that was a structure built mere thousands of years ago.
                          I doubt even the Ancients could stop regular dirt from being eroded by water. That seemed to be the case there.
                          Vae Victus - Livy

Comment

Originally posted by Mike
                            I doubt even the Ancients could stop regular dirt from being eroded by water. That seemed to be the case there.
                            Well, A few ZPMs powering a shield....
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mike
                              Atlantis was under the sea! Alright then, if the Ancients were building the meeting place for their grand alliance, why did they stick it on a tiny, windswept spit of rock? If the conditions destroyed it, they must have changed since the building, probably since it was abandoned.

There's also the fact that timescales in Stargate have changed. In the earlier seasons the Goa'uld only left Earth two thousand years ago; anything longer is a long time (TM). In the later seasons - especially Frozen and after - the Ancients exist in geological time scales.

Comment

Working...
                              X