This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Us Marine Corp

How come General Hammond is sending the Marines through the stargate instead of the United States Army?
    sigpic
    The Edge of the Night; contains love from the heart and soul, outpouring love to one and love one country.

Most likely there are interservice rivalries going on there. It could be anything from who was the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs at the time, to what the Army said when the air force asked for the troops. In addition, the Marines traditionally form expeditionary units within US military history.

I've always been of the opinion though that the SG teams these days are made up of the best from any service. So if your in the Navy and your skillset is exactly what the SGC needs, you'll find yourself on a plane to Colorado.

On a production level, it may be something as silly as them saying 'oh, the new digital camoflage is nifty, let's use the Marines!' The entertainment industry has made decisions on less...
    Last edited by Major Fischer; 25 September 2004, 04:32 PM.

Comment

I'm interested in the coherence of the show in the Atlantis universe, but not at all in that kind of consistency. He might as well send a local policeman to me; provided it's a good actor, or a navy officer or whatever. I don't think this has an importance once on Atlantis.
      No rep points, I'm out of the Karma now. No title would be perfect.
      I apologize for not having time to read everything, and missing relevant contributions.
      Please don't read my posts as important about real life issues, and don't reply as such.

Comment

Originally posted by Furling God
        I'm interested in the coherence of the show in the Atlantis universe, but not at all in that kind of consistency. He might as well send a local policeman to me; provided it's a good actor, or a navy officer or whatever. I don't think this has an importance once on Atlantis.
        I disagree, I hate seeing a flaw in a movie or show. It makes me focus in on the flaw, rather than taking in the rest of the scene.
        When you give me a negative reputation posting, usually because you disagree with my OPINION, sign your work!

Comment

Originally posted by Elitenova
          How come General Hammond is sending the Marines through the stargate instead of the United States Army?
          Marines, generally, are trained to fight in small groups, whereas soldiers in the Army, generally, are trained to fight in large groups.
          Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Plus, you're probably not going to get a tank or artillery piece to Atlantis, although that would be rather cool.

Comment

As the Atlantis mission is an international one if/when they make contact with Earth again why wouldn't they send OMON trained troops to Atlantis?
              With the hostilities with the Genii and the Wraith that wouldn't be such an bad idea.
              "The major difference between the thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

Comment

Originally posted by ArcLight
                As the Atlantis mission is an international one if/when they make contact with Earth again why wouldn't they send OMON trained troops to Atlantis? With the hostilities with the Genii and the Wraith, that wouldn't be such an bad idea.
                That would be cool! I wouldn't mind seeing the Special Forces from other countries. Russians are always fun now that they aren't our enemies. I would also like to see some military guy/girls from Canada to prove to the world (namely the U.S.) that they actually have them.

Rodney with a P90 was awesome!
                Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                  That would be cool! I wouldn't mind seeing the Special Forces from other countries. Russians are always fun now that they aren't our enemies. I would also like to see some military guy/girls from Canada to prove to the world (namely the U.S.) that they actually have them.

Rodney with a P90 was awesome!
                  We did see a military guy from another country (I don't know which) in "Suspicion," for all we know he's special forces.
                  Rocky

Comment

How can you tell? The Army and Marines all look the same to me. I don't even know how their real life functions differ.

Comment

Well, there uniforms are different. As was said earlier, the Army fights in tanks and whatnot while the Marines specialize in small-group tactics.
                      Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by aschen
                        How can you tell? The Army and Marines all look the same to me. I don't even know how their real life functions differ.
                        Probably a bigger answer than you wanted, but here it is:

A) Currently the easiest way is that the Marines wear a new camoflage pattern made out of pixels called which allows for a better concielment ability in a wider range of enviroments than the old Woodland pattern used by the rest of the services which was primarily made for battle in central Europe.

Another easy way to spot them are that they have a flat fronted field hat with an eagle globe and anchor as opposed to the army's use of a more rounded patrol hat (or these days a black beret). For unknown reasons the Stargate francise almost never shows army troops.

B) The difference between them. Well, the Marine corps is a much smaller force, and attached to the Navy originally used as sharp shooters and defensive forces on ships, as well as light amphibious units. They have their own air arm and try to fight as a self contained and self suffient fighting force. Historically they have been used for both amphibious landings, and small expeditionary units (such as military interventions in places like Haiti--many times--and in the western enclaves of China during the 1930s).

The marines are basically all trained as light infantry (they do have tanks and aircraft, but even those soldiers get a certain amount of infantry training), and are generally considered some of the best light infantry in the world.

The other function of the Marines that might come to bare on their presence in Atlantis is the fact that they guard US embassies around the world, and it's entirely possible that Weir might have had a preference for the marines from past experiance.

In contrast the Army is a much larger force, with many more and different kinds of troops that are used generally in larger operations over a longer period of time. Army infantry troops are considered a little 'heavier' (with some exceptions), and on a division to division basis are harder to get into place but have more tanks/artillery/ect when they do get there. The other thing to remember is that the army is many many many MANY times bigger than the Marines.

Given that they couldn't send tanks/artillery et al to Atlantis, it rather makes sense to send the force that is better trained to fight 'lighter' and 'faster'.

Comment

Good explination. I couldn't have put it anyother way.

Comment

You know Major, it really helps to have a military historian hanging out around here.
                            Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
                              You know Major, it really helps to have a military historian hanging out around here.
                              *winks* You say that now, but my subspecialty within military history is a LOT less useful than you might guess. But I do get to pick up interesting tidbits along the way to getting there.

Comment

Working...
                              X