PDA

View Full Version : The X Files Gang

shippyangel
July 27th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Anyone???
I totally love it!!!! And the movie is hopefully coming!!!
Is there any fan in this forum???
I surely hope so! :)

Commander Jumper
July 27th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Anyone???
I totally love it!!!! And the movie is hopefully coming!!!
Is there any fan in this forum???
I surely hope so! :)

Oi I read about the second movie in Entertainment Weekly :p cannit wait :p love the show as well :p

shippyangel
July 27th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Hmm someone answered! Yaaaay!
I just HAD TO make this thread! Waaaay too many things to talk about, it was a popular show. Why let it die???
I hope RP and AG join the movie too, I'm not sure though. But I've heard that
William is surely going to be there.
Can't waiiiit!

Commander Jumper
July 27th, 2007, 07:02 PM
William is surely going to be there.

..... wait... you mean

The Baby?....

Sun'shyne
July 27th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Great Idea for a thread!!

I too am a lover of the show, having difficulty finding it on dvd though... anyone else? Is it even available on dvd yet?

And this is the first I've heard about another movie!! That's great!

Has anyone heard of DD's new show? I can't wait to see it!!

Commander Jumper
July 27th, 2007, 07:11 PM

I too am a lover of the show, having difficulty finding it on dvd though... anyone else? Is it even available on dvd yet?

new show? and you can get it at any best buy... :p... they had em for twenty dollars each there last I saw :p (sale on Fox DVDs :p Got Firefly and House for twenty each :p) tell me more of this new show :p

shippyangel
July 27th, 2007, 07:24 PM
..... wait... you mean

The Baby?....

Yup! ;DD But maybe its just rumors

The DVDs are avaiable, all seasons, if you mean XF.

His new show will start here in Brazil in a couple of months, maybe I can post somethin' about it here later! ;)

And the movie, well, it'sa fact now. After 4 damned years! LOL

Hey girls I'll talk to ya tomorrow cause I'm deadly sleeply! :P
But yeah let's talk lots about XF!!! ;*** Nighty night!

Commander Jumper
July 27th, 2007, 07:27 PM
ya same here.. gotta finish 40 minutes of blackpool in thirty minutes :p and I have Monk and Psych to catch before bed :p

fugiman
July 27th, 2007, 08:23 PM
I miss the Lone Gunmen they were my favorite part and when they died I was sad very very sad and after tehy got killed off the show wasn't the same for me so there you go

http://metroautographs.com/metro-entertainment/aol/lonegunmen/lonegunmen.jpg

RIP My favorite Chaacters in X files

shippyangel
July 28th, 2007, 08:36 AM
I loved the gunmen as well! I cried a lot when they
died. :(

Promethius30
July 28th, 2007, 09:44 AM
I watch a few episodes on TV and the movie. Recently i bought the complete collection of it on DVD and i am season 3 so far and i am really enjoying it i hoping i will finish the season before the movie comes out

shippyangel
July 28th, 2007, 07:21 PM
But have you watched it before?
My fave eps are The Blessing Way (Loves when Scully says "With all due respect, sir, I think you overestimate your position in the chain of command. LOL), Avatar (I like the fact that Skinner is remembered as he hould, such a constant presence in the show) and Pusher (great Mulder episode).

Season 3 is not one of my favorites, though. :P

Trek_Girl42
July 28th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Looove the X-Files. I'm currently watching it through for the first time as well, borrowing the DVDs and I'm up to season seven disc two. :D Can't wait for new X-FIles when(!) this movie happens. :D

Anyone else see Gillian Anderson in Bleak House? She was fantastic. :)

July 29th, 2007, 07:31 AM
i was a little annoyed when the lone gunmen spin off (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Gunmen#The_Lone_Gunmen_series) was cancelled due to low ratings, and not often rerun due to the fact the major story arc was about terrorists hijacking a plane by overriding the autopilot and trying to crash it into the world trade centre (bare in mind it was written and aired months before 9/11), its impossible to get that on DVD aswell, cant wait for the next movie, and i'm hoping they do a movie in 2012 to tie up the invasion arc.!!

Phantom Limb
July 29th, 2007, 07:44 AM
i own them all on dvd and have watched them through twice! love that show,i would say high point in the series for me is season 6 although obviously there are stand out eps throughout the series entire run but that season just seemed to be consistantly good.

gotta love a show where Burt Reynolds is god! lol

Commander Jumper
July 29th, 2007, 07:48 AM
I'd have to say one of my favourite episodes is... "Musings of a Cigarette Smoking man" :D I love Cigarette Smoking man :D by far though.. season Six was my favourite season.. I own Six and Four and I'm buying season five for my mum come the time I get a job :p

July 29th, 2007, 07:53 AM
I'd have to say one of my favourite episodes is... "Musings of a Cigarette Smoking man" :D I love Cigarette Smoking man :D by far though.. season Six was my favourite season.. I own Six and Four and I'm buying season five for my mum come the time I get a job :p

for your mum eh!? or for your mum and you to share :p
that was an awesome episode, infact the most recent episode i saw. love the whole thing about him always just wanting to be an author and he quits his job when his book is published. and that ep had deep throat, essentially carrying out an act that defines the entire series major arc.

Commander Jumper
July 29th, 2007, 08:24 AM
for your mum eh!? or for your mum and you to share :p
that was an awesome episode, infact the most recent episode i saw. love the whole thing about him always just wanting to be an author and he quits his job when his book is published. and that ep had deep throat, essentially carrying out an act that defines the entire series major arc.

my mum is the one who converted me to X-Files, Stargate, Stargate Atlantis, and House... :p... just yesterday I spent my babysitting money on buying her Psych on DVD... :p 64$ on that thing,... and a tank of my fathers gas (we drove all over the valley looking for it) :p

July 29th, 2007, 08:41 AM
my mum is the one who converted me to X-Files, Stargate, Stargate Atlantis, and House... :p... just yesterday I spent my babysitting money on buying her Psych on DVD... :p 64$ on that thing,... and a tank of my fathers gas (we drove all over the valley looking for it) :p

hang on you are american (the $ and use of word gas gave it away, its not gas it LIQUID!!) and you spell mum with a U!! whats up with that, i thought it was just us brits!

Commander Jumper
July 29th, 2007, 08:50 AM
hang on you are american (the $ and use of word gas gave it away, its not gas it LIQUID!!) and you spell mum with a U!! whats up with that, i thought it was just us brits!

I picked up the mum thing... it's a long story... involving driving my mum crazy... by calling her mum... :p... not to mention I was fed British comedies growing up :p (my Aunt Lois loves Blackadder, Jeeves and Wooster, etc.) so yeah I use the word mum... but I was born and raised in America... never left it... and sadly.. I probably never will... (sigh)

shippyangel
July 29th, 2007, 09:53 AM
I just wanted to welcome all you guys here! *bows*
Make me happy to discuss XF! A LOT! :)

i was a little annoyed when the lone gunmen spin off (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Gunmen#The_Lone_Gunmen_series) was cancelled due to low ratings, and not often rerun due to the fact the major story arc was about terrorists hijacking a plane by overriding the autopilot and trying to crash it into the world trade centre (bare in mind it was written and aired months before 9/11), its impossible to get that on DVD aswell, cant wait for the next movie, and i'm hoping they do a movie in 2012 to tie up the invasion arc.!!

Lone Gunmen were they greatest. They discussed real politic stuff with humor. Gotta say I never quite understood those low ratings, but I think people stopped watching them... What a shame.

Hmm, I think the movie will happen in 2012 (though it will be released after), I've read it somewhere, but then again, it might just be rumors.

Well, there were times when I really wanted to kill Smocking man!! LOL But yeah he was a great character, very complicated, very important.

Looove the X-Files. I'm currently watching it through for the first time as well, borrowing the DVDs and I'm up to season seven disc two. :D Can't wait for new X-FIles when(!) this movie happens. :D

Anyone else see Gillian Anderson in Bleak House? She was fantastic. :)

The movie was supposed to be release in 2004, actually. I kept waiting for so long that I didn't really believe it was going to happen. But yaaay it will!
My parents watched when I was a kid and they worried I might have nightmares, but I always got up at night to watch it with them. Nowadays, they don't watch it anymore and I'm addicted. I know many lines by heart! :P
The first movie, Fight The Future, was also great!

And yup I watched it. She's great. She's always great, isn't she.

i own them all on dvd and have watched them through twice! love that show,i would say high point in the series for me is season 6 although obviously there are stand out eps throughout the series entire run but that season just seemed to be consistantly good.

gotta love a show where Burt Reynolds is god! lol

ROTF! "Improbable" was just fricking AWESOME!

Mr Burt: "...Cha cha cha —"

Mr Burt: "Einstein — now there's a winner."
Reyes: "'God does not play dice with the universe'."
Scully: "Nor does he play chequers.

LMAO!

About favorite seasons... Hmm, leme think. 3, 6, 8 and 9 (the lst two, because I was a fan of RP and AG even before they join the show and I think Reyes and Doggett kinda brought the it back to life).
Ok, ok, many of you disagree. But it makes sense to me, wanting them in the movies. Probably won't happen, though. :(

TrustNo1
July 29th, 2007, 07:33 PM
I love it :) MMM Dana :D

shippyangel
July 31st, 2007, 05:45 PM
Scully changed a lot. That is a fact, isn't it?

August 5th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Scully changed a lot. That is a fact, isn't it?

yeah she was a real skeptic at the beginning and then by the time Mulder went away she was not even slightly skeptical anymore, thats why they got Robert Patrick in to play a skeptic to fix the dynamic.

RepliCartertje
August 5th, 2007, 08:06 AM

I have 6 seasons on DVD, the first 6 :D the others I am still doubting if I should get them or not...I must say I was dissapointed in those season, I felt like Scully wasn't Scully anymore and the mood of the show changed then...but maybe one day I'll buy them... Just need the money for it cause €59 a dvd boxset is a lot of money :p

I miss the Lone Gunmen they were my favorite part and when they died I was sad very very sad and after tehy got killed off the show wasn't the same for me so there you go

http://metroautographs.com/metro-entertainment/aol/lonegunmen/lonegunmen.jpg

RIP My favorite Chaacters in X files
I loved the Lone Gunmen and I loved their spinoff serie :D they rocked...they really rocked :D

btw are we having any spoilerpolicy? since the show already aired and stuff I guess we don't need spoilers right, only for the new movie...Am I correct in that assesment??

I love it :) MMM Dana :D
I'll second that...mmmm Dana, she was why I tuned in at the first place, oh and cause my granddad watched it. I am still not sure that a kid of 8 years watching this was a good plan though ;) Probably not lol. But it was fun :D Even though I remember going to bed was sometimes an issue :p But it was on at 7.30 pm so we watched it... fun days :D

August 5th, 2007, 08:28 AM
btw are we having any spoilerpolicy? since the show already aired and stuff I guess we don't need spoilers right, only for the new movie...Am I correct in that assesment??

i would say yes to that, unless anyone specifically whinges about having not seen the last season or something, and even then its their own fault.

and yup the lone gunmen rocked the proverbial casbah.

in circles
August 5th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I used to be a huge fan and then just lost interest around series 7. I still have a cupboard full of x files stuff including a prop from one of the episodes.

aeromathlete
August 15th, 2007, 10:42 PM
I'm a total Philey. *sigh* Can't wait for a second film! I'm trying to convince my boyfriend to re-watch the show with me this summer, but he wants to get through Stargate SG-1 first (Atlantis finished already, we're mostly through S2 of SG-1 right now...waa).

August 16th, 2007, 12:53 AM
I'm a total Philey. *sigh* Can't wait for a second film! I'm trying to convince my boyfriend to re-watch the show with me this summer, but he wants to get through Stargate SG-1 first (Atlantis finished already, we're mostly through S2 of SG-1 right now...waa).

way to bump.

you should come to some sort of comprimise, like tossing a coin each day or taking it in turns to watch a disc of sg-1 then one of x files etc.

RepliCartertje
August 23rd, 2007, 09:16 PM
So does anyone wants to make a list about the people who were in X-files and also in SG?
*Carter
*Frasier
*Kawalsky
*Hammond
*Caldwell
*X
*reetou kid Charlie
*Prior smoking man
*Bill Lee
*Dogett

anyone else has more names?? I know there are a lot more, I need to rewatch X-files for the lots of extra's they have :p

August 24th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Carter played a dead prostitute, does that really count?

RepliCartertje
August 24th, 2007, 03:55 AM
Carter played a dead prostitute, does that really count?
well she was on X-files eh :p Even if she was only there for one ep, I really love to do these kinds of thing, find the actors in the shows :D Janet also was just a nurse :p

Commander Jumper
August 24th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Paul McGillion was in Small Potatoes :D...

Lady eliza
August 30th, 2007, 01:09 PM
I also like black adder. Lol. :) i'm new here and I'm getting into the x files- i am a shipper of m/s.

Trek_Girl42
August 31st, 2007, 12:18 AM
Paul McGillion was in Small Potatoes :D...
:lol: One of the best eps ever. "That father of my baby is Luke Skywalker." :P :D

shippyangel
September 6th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Hey newbies! :) Let's post lots here!

PS: Yes, AT appeared in XF, which was great, though her character was a loser! LOL

Trek_Girl42
September 6th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Just finished watching the season seven finale half an hour ago. Loved it. Can't believe people hated season seven so much- there were a lot of excellent episodes in there.

*sigh* And I'll have to wait til next week for season eight disc one. :(

Lady eliza
September 11th, 2007, 02:26 PM
I love your sig trek_girl42. :) I'm a huge John Barrowman/ Jack Harkness fan.:)

bliv
September 11th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Didn't season 7 feature X-Cops? Always thought it was neat how they lifted the 'Cops' style of shooting and applied it to the X-Files.

Trek_Girl42
September 11th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Didn't season 7 feature X-Cops? Always thought it was neat how they lifted the 'Cops' style of shooting and applied it to the X-Files.
Yup. That was one.....different episode. :P

bliv
September 11th, 2007, 03:31 PM
That's what I enjoyed so much about the show. They could easily steer away from the main arcs and storylines and have a 'monster/mystery of the week' show. I'm sure that if I was to look back through the seasons there were some fantastic and uniquely shot one off episodes.

Trek_Girl42
September 11th, 2007, 03:38 PM
That's what I enjoyed so much about the show. They could easily steer away from the main arcs and storylines and have a 'monster/mystery of the week' show. I'm sure that if I was to look back through the seasons there were some fantastic and uniquely shot one off episodes.
Like "Hollywood A.D.". That scene where the screen was split the show Mulder, Scully, and Skinner all in bubble baths is one of my favourites of the series. :P

Legionnaire
September 11th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Like "Hollywood A.D.". That scene where the screen was split the show Mulder, Scully, and Skinner all in bubble baths is one of my favourites of the series. :P

Ahhhh I loved that scene! I admit, I'm a huge fan of the X-Files, one of the first TV shows I really loved, hell I even used to want to do what Scully did, be the FBI agent/doctor who was both in the field and in the hospital doing autopsies. Imagine a 10 year old kid when asked what he wanted to do, "I wanna dissect dead people!" I've since moved on to other dreams, but I'll never move on from that show :)

bliv
September 11th, 2007, 03:48 PM
That season was a lot better than it was given credit for. Perhaps the audience just wasn't as keen as many of the episodes weren't as dark as they had been in previous seasons. Highlights for me also included First Person Shooter, the Millennium cross over episode and the more serious En Ami.

Myn McGeek, Third Sentinel
September 11th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Hey all! I'm not going to join the discussion due to the fact that I've only seen up to the second season (I'm watching the DVDs) and read a spoiler... :(

But I would like to post a few pics of me and my bro (Camello of Abydos) at Dragon*Con: (spoilers for size)

Me and Camello with Frohike and Byers! (I look kinda chubby here...)

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x96/Myn_MacGeek/Con%20pics/DSCN2427.jpg

Mulder and Scully find the 'gate!!!

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x96/Myn_MacGeek/Con%20pics/DSCN2414.jpg

He's not really that much taller than me... :p

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x96/Myn_MacGeek/Con%20pics/DSCN2367.jpg

Mulder and Scully arrest some random SGA guy!

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x96/Myn_MacGeek/Con%20pics/FSCN2429.jpg

Scully is attacked by an alien! (his suit was very slimy...)

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x96/Myn_MacGeek/Con%20pics/DSCN2477.jpg

Mulder to the rescue! (ignore his smile... I think he was having fun)

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x96/Myn_MacGeek/Con%20pics/DSCN2468.jpg
(I think Mulder shrunk to be a teenager...) :p

We had so much fun! :D

Oh, I have to tell you all what happened when we met the two Lone Gunmen! It was at the Lone Gunmen panel. I was disappointed that I didn't get a good picture of them, then we noticed that they were letting people walk up and take pictures with them... so we did. :D Guess what Tom Braidwood's first reaction to us was... "Oh my god! It's Mulder and Scully!" We then politely asked for a picture. While it was being taken, Bruce Harwood said, "I think I'm having a flashback..." (or something along those lines). THEN Mr. Braidwood pulled out HIS camera and said that he had to have a picture of us for himself!

Am I a geek for getting so excited about these guys? :o

bliv
September 11th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I'm sorry, I keep thinking with X-Files being such an old show that most people have seen the complete series. When I noticed that Trek_Girl42 had watched up to the end of season 7 I thought I'd try to limit my comments to that particular season.

I hope we haven't spolied too much for you.

Legionnaire
September 11th, 2007, 04:28 PM

Of course not. I loved every episode the Lone Gunmen were in, so I'd be the same way if I met them.

Myn McGeek, Third Sentinel
September 11th, 2007, 04:59 PM
I'm sorry, I keep thinking with X-Files being such an old show that most people have seen the complete series. When I noticed that Trek_Girl42 had watched up to the end of season 7 I thought I'd try to limit my comments to that particular season.

I hope we haven't spolied too much for you.
Oh, I know. It's OK, go ahead and talk about whatever you want -- it wouldn't be fair for me to not allow you to talk about the series just because I haven't seen a lot of it. :) I'm just going to try to avoid spoilers myself.

Of course not. I loved every episode the Lone Gunmen were in, so I'd be the same way if I met them.
Cool. :D I will say this for myself... I was a bit more excited when meeting MS and CJ. ;)

fugiman
September 11th, 2007, 08:44 PM
I want the lonegunmen back they were my favorites, more then anyone else on the entire show

Trek_Girl42
September 12th, 2007, 08:21 AM
That season was a lot better than it was given credit for. Perhaps the audience just wasn't as keen as many of the episodes weren't as dark as they had been in previous seasons. Highlights for me also included First Person Shooter, the Millennium cross over episode and the more serious En Ami.
Which episode was the Millenium crossover? (I've never seen Millenium)

Loved En Ami, and the season finale! Awsome! Not a huge fan of First Person Shooter. I started season eight yesterday, intending only to watch the opening two parter, but ended up watiching the entire first disc. *sigh* Now it's another full week before I get disc two. :(

Regarding the season eight cast
I love Dogget so far, Robert Patrick is awsome! :D Though I am surprised that by now Mitch Pileggi hasn't gotten a place in the opening credits. :(

Hey all! I'm not going to join the discussion due to the fact that I've only seen up to the second season (I'm watching the DVDs) and read a spoiler... :(

But I would like to post a few pics of me and my bro (Camello of Abydos) at Dragon*Con: (spoilers for size)

Me and Camello with Frohike and Byers! (I look kinda chubby here...)

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x96/Myn_MacGeek/Con%20pics/DSCN2427.jpg

Mulder and Scully find the 'gate!!!

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x96/Myn_MacGeek/Con%20pics/DSCN2414.jpg

He's not really that much taller than me... :p

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x96/Myn_MacGeek/Con%20pics/DSCN2367.jpg

Mulder and Scully arrest some random SGA guy!

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x96/Myn_MacGeek/Con%20pics/FSCN2429.jpg

Scully is attacked by an alien! (his suit was very slimy...)

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x96/Myn_MacGeek/Con%20pics/DSCN2477.jpg

Mulder to the rescue! (ignore his smile... I think he was having fun)

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x96/Myn_MacGeek/Con%20pics/DSCN2468.jpg
(I think Mulder shrunk to be a teenager...) :p

We had so much fun! :D

Oh, I have to tell you all what happened when we met the two Lone Gunmen! It was at the Lone Gunmen panel. I was disappointed that I didn't get a good picture of them, then we noticed that they were letting people walk up and take pictures with them... so we did. :D Guess what Tom Braidwood's first reaction to us was... "Oh my god! It's Mulder and Scully!" We then politely asked for a picture. While it was being taken, Bruce Harwood said, "I think I'm having a flashback..." (or something along those lines). THEN Mr. Braidwood pulled out HIS camera and said that he had to have a picture of us for himself!

:eek: Great pics! Looks like you guys had a good time. :D :P

September 12th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Which episode was the Millenium crossover? (I've never seen Millenium)

it was called "Millenium", it was about zombies or something. i've never seen millenium either, but that was a good ep.

bliv
September 12th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Millennium crossover episode was actually called 'Millennium'. If I remember rightly it featured Lance Henriksen in his final appearance as the Frank Black character. I'm sure it was early season 7.

September 12th, 2007, 08:28 AM
hah beat you by seconds :P

bliv
September 12th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Only because my post included more detail :)

September 12th, 2007, 08:39 AM
you didn't mention the zombies though!!

RepliCartertje
September 12th, 2007, 09:56 AM
okay so question to those who watched X-files from the beginning or watched it in right order... what did you think of Dogett and Reyes coming to join the cast? and how they handled Mulder and Scully with that?

Trek_Girl42
September 12th, 2007, 12:39 PM
it was called "Millenium", it was about zombies or something. i've never seen millenium either, but that was a good ep.

Millennium crossover episode was actually called 'Millennium'. If I remember rightly it featured Lance Henriksen in his final appearance as the Frank Black character. I'm sure it was early season 7.

Thank you both. :D That was a good ep. :)

okay so question to those who watched X-files from the beginning or watched it in right order... what did you think of Dogett and Reyes coming to join the cast? and how they handled Mulder and Scully with that?
Four episodes into season eight, I really like Doggett and his partnership with Scully. When does Reyes come in?

bliv
September 12th, 2007, 03:35 PM
First appears in 'This is Not Happening' which is later in season 8. She only features in a few episodes of season 8 and becomes more involved in seaosn 9. Very religious and that means she can accept the paranormal explanations. Not quite as full on as Mulder is though.

September 13th, 2007, 07:31 AM
i quite liked doggett, and i liked the fact he was really like no other character and as a sceptic he was well portayed, reyes, not so much of a fan, liked her, but thought her character lacked depth, i know she wasn't in it much but i think doggett managed to get more depth a lot quicker.

bliv
September 13th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Doggett worked better as he was introduced at the start of a season when the Mulder character wasn't featuring heavily. The back story of the marine who became an experienced cop, turned FBI guy who has been on the streets for years and hasn't seen anything unexplainable was a strong basis for his skeptic character. He comes over as a no nonsense, down to earth type of guy drawing on his past experiences over opening his mind to paranormal possibilities.

Reyes doesn't have the strong background. The only real non FBI knowledge we are given off her is that she's a highly spiritual and religious person and therefore is quite open to the possibilities of paranormal explanations. I think perhaps the worst part of the character is that she worked with Doggett on a previous case (I won't mention which as it may spoil for some watching season 8). It's her only real link to the other characters on the show and the attempt to amplify her backstory by adding in a relationship with her boss at the NY FBI office makes the character seem weaker. The idea that she has a masters degree in folklore and mythology is too much of a push towards her being a female Mulder character. Had the shown gone on for more seasons and Reyes appeared at the start of a season then she may have been a more rounded and developed character.

September 13th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Doggett worked better as he was introduced at the start of a season when the Mulder character wasn't featuring heavily. The back story of the marine who became an experienced cop, turned FBI guy who has been on the streets for years and hasn't seen anything unexplainable was a strong basis for his skeptic character. He comes over as a no nonsense, down to earth type of guy drawing on his past experiences over opening his mind to paranormal possibilities.

Reyes doesn't have the strong background. The only real non FBI knowledge we are given off her is that she's a highly spiritual and religious person and therefore is quite open to the possibilities of paranormal explanations. I think perhaps the worst part of the character is that she worked with Doggett on a previous case (I won't mention which as it may spoil for some watching season 8). It's her only real link to the other characters on the show and the attempt to amplify her backstory by adding in a relationship with her boss at the NY FBI office makes the character seem weaker. The idea that she has a masters degree in folklore and mythology is too much of a push towards her being a female Mulder character. Had the shown gone on for more seasons and Reyes appeared at the start of a season then she may have been a more rounded and developed character.

so THAT'S why, it's been a while since i saw season 8 and 9, probably since when they aired on terrestrial british TV the first time (2003~) i agree with that though

bliv
September 13th, 2007, 11:42 AM
I figured if Chris Carter was setting up for an extended X-Files run without the Mulder and Scully characters he'd be looking to replace them with something similar.

What I like about Doggett is that he is very much Scully from the earlier seasons but without the scientific background. So when presented with a paranormal phenominon he compensates for his lack of a scientific explanation with a reasoned down to earth approach. Scully might suggest a lack of scientific evidence to support Mulder's theory. Doggett is quite happy just to throw it out the window because he just doesn't believe based on his own experiences. I think this type of character is much easier to create as it represents the 'guy off the street' and his sort of reactions to the X-Files.

I think they were trying to do something similar with Reyes in relation to Mulder. They wanted Mulder, but not a carbon copy. However the Mulder character is so unique that trying to build anything close to Mulder would essentially be much the same character. I think the obsession that Mulder has with the unexplained and his desire to be proven right was the real driving point behind the X-Files for several seasons. Losing that character maybe would have contributed to the loss in quality of the show. I think Carter knew that but couldn't quite find the balance he needed to make Reyes the same as Mulder but different enough to keep the show fresh.

Just my thoughts anyway.

September 17th, 2007, 12:40 AM
w00t just ordered seasons 1-9 boxset, the movie and the lone gunmen season 1 *dances*

gotta love tax rebates

September 20th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Bump

recieved lone gunmen box set yesterday, AWESOME! shame about it being cancelled just because of a coincidence with 9/11

Trek_Girl42
September 20th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Bump

recieved lone gunmen box set yesterday, AWESOME! shame about it being cancelled just because of a coincidence with 9/11
I saw that when I went to buy Atlantis- never seen it on the shelf at a store before, what was the coincidence?

Commander Jumper
September 20th, 2007, 11:10 AM
In a foreshadowing of the September 11, 2001 attacks, the plot of the March 4, 2001 pilot episode of the series depicts a secret U.S. government agency plotting to crash a Boeing 727 headed for Boston into the World Trade Center via remote control for the purpose of increasing the military defense budget and blaming the attack on foreign "tin-pot dictators" who are "begging to be smart-bombed." This episode was broadcast in Australia on August 30, less than two weeks before the 9/11 attacks.