This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Telling where dialed in from??

One thing i have always wondered, is why there is nothing on the receiving end of a dialed wormhole that can tell WHERE the wormhole is coming from... You would have thought the builders would have installed something like that into the DHDs..

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
    One thing i have always wondered, is why there is nothing on the receiving end of a dialed wormhole that can tell WHERE the wormhole is coming from... You would have thought the builders would have installed something like that into the DHDs..
    The Ancients have something like this ("Before I Sleep"), but we haven't figured out how to work it yet.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I've always wondered that to. You think that SGC could find out what planet it is the stargate starts locking on to the symbols.
      Company of Thieves

Daniel: You might want to prepare to return fire.

Marks: For the record, Im always prepared. I just have to push this button.

Comment

Well, and also, sense they are all so interconnected and have automatic correlative updates they always know where the other gates are. It would seem to me that sense the address contains a Point Of Origin that with all of the info the gates have on one another they aught to be able to know that Point of Origin X means planet X, which is address X.
        I thought I remembered something that if you were on the recieving end of the gate you saw the Chevrons light up too. Are they then the Chevrons for the address dialed not address dialed from?
        "A friend is someone who stabs you in the front."

Ilshah, host to A’aaruk-GateWorld RP

Comment

Kind of like an Ancient "Caller Display"?

Comment

Caller ID... yes.

Comment

Good idea but hardly fool proof. Just because it’s an Asgard phone number doesn’t mean there is an Asgard on the line. I’m going with s09119 on this one, we just haven’t figured out how to use it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirick View Post
                Good idea but hardly fool proof. Just because it’s an Asgard phone number doesn’t mean there is an Asgard on the line. I’m going with s09119 on this one, we just haven’t figured out how to use it yet.
                I didn't mean they'd know who it was, simply what planet it came from. And its only an idea.
                "A friend is someone who stabs you in the front."

Ilshah, host to A’aaruk-GateWorld RP

Comment

We know that the DHDs store recently dialled out addresses. We have only just started being able to use this so it makes sense that the DHD stores dialled in addresses somewhere, but we just haven't figured out where they are stored yet.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                    The Ancients have something like this ("Before I Sleep"), but we haven't figured out how to work it yet.
                    Correct. IIRC, they are able to lock out addresses from dialing in (they made it so that only wormholes from Earth would be accepted, though it was unlocked when the SGC dialled in). It may be that you need to have the latest gates (e.g. the Pegasus gates) to do it, but it could easily be a standard DHD function.

Comment

I was under the impression the Atlantis control computer (attached to the DHD on Atlantis) was able to do this...not sure where I read that, but I remember reading it somewhere...
                      Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
                      Check out my Flickr

Comment

True enough, but are the codes located in the Atlantis computers or do the computers merely allow interface with the DHD ? It's crazy cyclical argument, i know.

We have seen DHDs do some pretty impressive things before.

Comment

Working...
                        X