X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watchmen

The cast has finally been announced for Watchmen:

Watchmen Cast Confirmed

Confirming weeks of Internet rumors and reports, The Hollywood Reporter said that Warner Brothers has settled on its cast for Zack Snyder's upcoming Watchmen, based on Alan Moore's seminal graphic novel.

Patrick Wilson, Jackie Earle Haley, Matthew Goode, Billy Crudup, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Malin Akerman have been cast in the film, which Snyder (300) is directing. Larry Gordon, Lloyd Levin and Deborah Snyder are producing.

Set in an alternate America, Watchmen follows the costumed hero Rorschach, who is living a vigilante lifestyle because most masked heroes have retired or been outlawed. While investigating a murder, Rorschach learns that a former masked-hero colleague has been killed, prompting him to begin investigating a possible conspiracy.

Haley will play Walter Kovacs, aka Rorschach, who ignores the ban on costumed vigilantes.

Crudup will play Dr. Manhattan, a superpowered being with godlike powers and temperament.

Akerman will play Laurie Juspeczyk/the Silk Spectre, who is involved with Dr. Manhattan. Their relationship begins to fall apart as he becomes more disconnected from humanity.

Goode will play Adrian Veidt/Ozymandias, a costumed adventurer who retired voluntarily, disclosed his identity and built a large fortune. He hatches a plot to avert a global catastrophe he believes will be caused by Dr. Manhattan.

Wilson will play the Nite-Owl, a crime-fighter who uses technical wizardry and has an owl-shaped flying vehicle.

Morgan will play the Comedian, a cigar-chomping, gun-toting vigilante-turned-paramilitary agent.

Watchmen, created by Moore and Dave Gibbons, is one of the most critically acclaimed series in the genre.

Shooting is set to start in the fall in Vancouver, Canada, with Snyder employing many of the filming techniques he used for his box-office success 300.
    So, what do you guys think? Can Snyder pull this one off? (I haven't seen any of his other work, so I've got no idea)

Wow didn't even know this was being made into a movie. I loved 300, but I'm not sure that a movie can really capture all that happens in The Watchmen. From what I remember it was a pretty complex piece of work.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
      Wow didn't even know this was being made into a movie. I loved 300, but I'm not sure that a movie can really capture all that happens in The Watchmen. From what I remember it was a pretty complex piece of work.
      I know what you mean- I'll definitely see this movie, but will go in with low expectations hopeing the be surprised. The thing is, 300 was all action (I'm presuming, I haven't actually seen it yet), and there's really not a lot of action in Watchmen, so it'll be interesting to see how Snyder handles it.

As for more news.....
      Snyder Confirms Watchmen News

Zack Snyder, director of the upcoming film version of Alan Moore's Watchmen, told fans that the movie will aim for an R rating and confirmed previous casting news in a panel at Comic-Con International in San Diego on July 27. Snyder also unveiled the first image of the movie's poster, featuring a fist smashing the face of President Nixon, along with the iconic image of the smiley face in the style of the graphic novel's cover.

Snyder confirmed the casting of Billy Crudup (Dr. Manhattan), Patrick Wilson (Night Owl) and Jeffrey Dean Morgan (The Comedian) in the iconic roles of from the seminal superhero graphic novel. "The cast is basically perfect in the sense that we have real actors," Snyder told an audience of more than 6,000 at the San Diego Convention Center. As for the R rating, Snyder (300) said, "We're not going to make it accessible to teeny boppers [just] for marketing reasons."

Snyder added that the film will not be set in the present day and joked that he was disappointed the movie would not actually shoot a key scene on Mars because of budget concerns. He also confirmed that had spoken at one point to Keanu Reeves about the project (he passed).

As for the film's storyline, Snyder said: "Pretty much everyone's backstory is going to be in the movie." Watchmen is slated for release on March 6, 2009. —Gordon Holmes

Comment

The idea of a Watchmen movie is very exciting. The cast isn't. Its a shame they couldn't grab a big name to help the movie appeal to mainstream audiences. A 2009 release date seems a bit excessive, they must be planning a hell of a lot of CGI.

Action wise I think for a movie to work another action scene will have to be put in, or one of the more actiony scenes in the graphic novel enhanced a little. Without it the movie might struggle to pull in the crowds.
        I'm A Leaf On The Wind...Watch How I Soar

Comment

will be great to see it on screen thats for sure.
          but i do wonder how all that information and plot will fit into a two hour movie, also it would be interesting to know what alan moore thinks about this since he has hated every other cinematic adaptation of his work to date, he even pulled his name off of v for vendetta i think!
          To the Mandatorium!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom Limb View Post
            will be great to see it on screen thats for sure.
            but i do wonder how all that information and plot will fit into a two hour movie, also it would be interesting to know what alan moore thinks about this since he has hated every other cinematic adaptation of his work to date, he even pulled his name off of v for vendetta i think!
            I just hope that they make it 2.5-3 hours and stay as loyal to the source material as possible. There's no other way it could work. Plus it's not the kind of movie where they have to worry over length for kids getting up for the bathroom like the Harry Potter films so they can make it long. And I don't want them shoving a bunch of useless action in there to make a flashy trailer.

And no.....Alan Moore is not approving of films made from his work. He didn't like V for Vendetta (which I thought was fantastic) and he has never been happy about the prospect of a Watchmen film.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
              I just hope that they make it 2.5-3 hours and stay as loyal to the source material as possible. There's no other way it could work. Plus it's not the kind of movie where they have to worry over length for kids getting up for the bathroom like the Harry Potter films so they can make it long. And I don't want them shoving a bunch of useless action in there to make a flashy trailer.

And no.....Alan Moore is not approving of films made from his work. He didn't like V for Vendetta (which I thought was fantastic) and he has never been happy about the prospect of a Watchmen film.
              you really havent seen any of snyders work have you? lol
              i think my main worry is that were gonna lose all of the little things, sub-plots and the like.
              i still havent seen v for vendetta its definitely on my to-be-watched-soon list tho.

still it sounds at the moment like there going down the right path and i guess it has to be an R rating anyway because of Doc Manhattens nudity, just not sure how the ending will pay off on screen and not look completely ridiculous.

Spoiler:

by that i mean ozymandias teleporting the giant tentacled genetic creature thing into new york, unless they change its design i think it would be too b-movie-ish and look quite silly, might remove people too much from the moment because its a pretty important part of the story, lol
              To the Mandatorium!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom Limb View Post
                you really havent seen any of snyders work have you? lol
                i think my main worry is that were gonna lose all of the little things, sub-plots and the like.
                i still havent seen v for vendetta its definitely on my to-be-watched-soon list tho.
                No I haven't seen any of Snyder's work. But yeah, I know he likes the action/violence, which was my first thought when it was announced that he was directing, butttt..... We'll just have to wait and see.

Comment

I Love "Watchmen"
                  it is my favourite Graphic Novel, and it is soon to be a Film from the Director of 300 so i thought i'd start this up to talk about the Book, and anticipate the Movie.
                  Spoiler:
                  Disclaimer:
                  I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                  Quotes!
                  - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                  - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                  - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                  sigpic

Comment

I personally think its a bit over played. Sure its longer and more detailed that most graphic novels but to be honest I never really got connected to any of the characters that might be fair to it but it is but it is what it is. As for for not liking the characters I can only assume putting them into a movie is only going to lessen those few things I liked about the Graphic novel. So, I'm taking a wait and see approach.
                    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOW - What a RIDE!"

Comment

that's fair enough, but i felt that the point was the characters are unlikable,
                      Rorschach is messed up
                      Ozymandias is full of himself
                      Dr. Manhattan doesn't care about anything
                      Silk Spectre is just fickle, annoyingly so
                      Nite Owl is a bit of an annoying loser but still probably the most likable character,

the story has a lot of depth though
                      Spoiler:
                      Disclaimer:
                      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                      Quotes!
                      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                      sigpic

Comment

http://rss.warnerbros.com/watchmen/
                        OMG OMG
                        Spoiler:
                        Disclaimer:
                        Quotes!
                        sigpic

Comment

I picked up "Watchmen" will looking through the comics recently at my library. Just started it and had no idea there was going to be a movie made about it. Glad I get to read it first though.
                          Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

i have never seen the novel. i will be watching it because i think David Heyter did the screenplay
                            sigpic
                            Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
                            Metal gear fan

Comment

Originally posted by Promethius30 View Post
                              i have never seen the novel. i will be watching it because i think David Heyter did the screenplay
                              David Hayter and Alex Tse, who hasnt dont much before
                              Spoiler:
                              Disclaimer:
                              Quotes!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X