This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pushing Daisies Discussion/Speculation

Of all the new shows headed our way this fall, Pushing Daisies is one of only two on my "Must Watch" list (and given the changes going on with Bionic Woman, I'm losing a bit of confidence in it).

The whole concept of the show is a bit bizarre- a guy who can bring dead things back to life with a touch... and kill them with another touch, but with the caveat that if he doesn't touch said thing again within a minute, something else will die instead. It takes a light-hearted, if a bit morbid, approach to things, but I wonder how well the quirkiness will work in a series.

I watched the pilot ep and... it was fun. Strange, but fun. The characters are almost cartoonish and the color schemes and sets (particularly with the Aunties' house) veer that way too, sometimes. It reminds me a bit of Tim Burton's stuff; very surreal at times.

Kristen Chenoweth was lovely. She's actually one of the main reasons I had any interest in the show (and the cartoonish nature of things suits her perfectly). The other reason I was curious is because I had the nagging feeling of, "Haven't I seen this somewhere before?" And I still maintain there are some points of similarity to a certain gimmick in Torchwood, but that show most definitely didn't play it for laughs.

I'm not sure how well this tilted perspective will work in the long run; what's fine in a 90 minute movie might get a little tiring spread out over an entire season. Even during the pilot there were times when I wished it wasn't quite so forcibly weird. Hopefully things will smooth out as the show continues (assuming audiences are curious enough to stay tuned). There's certainly a lot of interesting material to work with and I like most of the characters. Lee Pace, who plays Ned, has a certain geekish charm to him and Chi McBride looks like he'll be having fun.

And for the Harry Potter obsessives out there (who probably know this already) the Narrator is voiced by Jim Dale, who did all the audiobooks.

One thing did bother me in the pilot, though.

Spoiler:
    One of the central points of the show is that if Ned brings something back to life and doesn't touch it again, something else will die in its stead. ...And yet they also show Ned in his pie shop with a box full of rotten strawberries bringing them back to put in the pies. Shouldn't something else be dying for every berry he touches? I wonder if that'll be addressed later on. Maybe since it's a strawberry all it'll do is kill a patch of grass or something. But given that the deaths (so far) are random within a certain proximity, I should think that reviving fruit in a pie shop would be a dodgy prospect. Shame if a customer bit into a cherry pie only to find something mouldering inside. Hmm...

Still, it's good stuff. I hope folks will check it out. But keep in mind that it's a bit quirkier than the usual primetime fare.

I loved it. It reminded me at times of Dead Like Me and Wonderfalls, but of course it's from the same creator. I think other people might think its weird and so, but I think this time it might work for people.

The Pie Hole, oh how I laughed.
    sigpic
    My OTP's LEAP with passion. Weir did it better.

Comment

Anyway, yeh I liked it also, it was pretty good, but it needs to be a bit better if it wants to stay for a second season wit the way the shows are being cancelled now dayz!
      I HATE SY-FY

Comment

Bumping this thread up- just over two weeks to go!

I absolutely love the look of this show, haven't seen the pilot yet, but the trailers and promo clips look gorgeous, and wonderfully eccentric- with just finishing up watching "Dead Like Me" through for the first time, it'll be nice to have something else from Bryan Fuller to make up for the pain of having finished all the episodes.

What appears to be the only truly unique new show this fall, and I'm glad to see something more on the quirky side coming to the schedule.

Comment

I hated it, I wanted to like it but I hated it.

It's too cartoonish, and the naration in it drives me insane, they need to drop that part or it will be canceled.

I can not see this going on for long either, their is no adience for something this insane and different. I'm glad ABC did the give for the show through, shows they like different.

I think I hated it so much was because of the cartoon feel to it, it reminded me too much of "The Cat in the Hat" movie, and that's not good. Plus they did not follow the minute rule well at all! That really drove me insane, it's the main part of the show it needs to be exact!

And even through i hated it, I'll still might give it once more chance because it might grow on me. Plus I love different, and this is different. I hope people give it a chance because they might like it, but I'm affraid the mass market rather have another ER or lawyer show.

Comment

I've watched the pilot. Was fairly good. Great use of narration throughout the ep
            Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

The "Pie-lette" aired last night on CTV, and I adored it. Love the humour, the characters were all wonderfully introduced, and I love Lee Pace already. This just got pushed to my top-five-can-not-miss-currently-airing-shows list. Cancelling this would be a crime.

Comment

Just saw it, was great from beginning to end. Now I have a regular Wednesday show.

Comment

Kristen Chenoweth cracks me up. But how tall is she, because wossname towers over her. *checks* Egad! She's even shorter than I am! 4'11"?! Wow. Almost pixielike. But very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                    Kristen Chenoweth cracks me up. But how tall is she, because wossname towers over her. *checks* Egad! She's even shorter than I am! 4'11"?! Wow. Almost pixielike. But very cool.
                    4'11" Wow! She certainly makes up for it in volume. And those very tall shoes. Lee Pace just towers over her, I laughed so hard when she was standing on the table and she was still shorter.

Watched for the second time and loved it just as much if not more. I really want is to go and watch it again.

Comment

My whole family loved watching this last night! Very original, very sweet - loved the characters and the whole format. The narrator was a crack up!

My only quibble was never seeing any customers in the pie shop. In "Dead Like Me" there were always people milling about in the background and it gave the place a "home" feeling. We need to see customers, or maybe the pies are really bad. *LOL*

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I wasn't thrilled by the pilot. I think my expectations were high and it didn't quite meet them. There was a lot of cute and very charming and I love the set but I didn't like the contrived nature of some of it. The narrator made the details about the synchronized swimming, missing eye and a few other things so pointed that when those details came into play later, I just rolled my eyes at the way they determinedly sucked the mystery and surprise out of it.... as if they wrote the outcome first and fiddled and then adjusted the details that came before to match.

I still plan to watch more episodes, i just hope they do a little better on keeping some degree of suspense.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
                          My whole family loved watching this last night! Very original, very sweet - loved the characters and the whole format. The narrator was a crack up!

My only quibble was never seeing any customers in the pie shop. In "Dead Like Me" there were always people milling about in the background and it gave the place a "home" feeling. We need to see customers, or maybe the pies are really bad. *LOL*
                          LOL Those pies! I was longing to reach into the screen wonka-style and grab one.....

Comment

Ratings for the Pie-lette:

Chuck and I were on pins and needles waiting for the preliminary ratings to come in…
                            The Pushing Daisies “Pie-lette” ratings: 12.83 million
                            According to TVGuide, they also cleaned house in the key demos. Breakdown coming soon…
                            addthis_url = 'http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thepiemaker.com%2Fpushing-daisies-pie-lette-ratings-are-in%2F'; addthis_title = 'PUSHING+DAISIES+%27Pie-lette%27+Ratings+Are+In'; addthis_pub = '';
                            http://www.thepiemaker.com/

Not sure what that turns into in terms of ratings points- good I take it?

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                              Ratings for the Pie-lette:

http://www.thepiemaker.com/

Not sure what that turns into in terms of ratings points- good I take it?
                              TVGuide.com is saying it got a 9.2

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-en...sies/800023689

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Working...
                              X