PDA

View Full Version : 'Caprica' never to air?

Groove
July 22nd, 2007, 08:45 AM
According to backed-up sources on Wikipedia (bottom paragraph) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caprica_%28TV_series%29), it looks like Caprica will never see it in to production.

I sort of had a feeling this would happen after no news came following the initial Caprica announcement.

I feel it is such an opportunity; to see more of Caprican society, to see the Cylons' birth and founding philosophies, and I'd wager the Galactica in its prime, too!

:'(

Blower'sGate
July 22nd, 2007, 09:25 AM
Can we trust wikipedia here? ;) I say let's wait and see.

BubblingOverWithIdeas
July 22nd, 2007, 09:34 AM
It says that a movie or DVD release is still possible, and the Caprica is on back-burner. I wouldn't be surprised if something came out in a few years.

Can we trust wikipedia here? ;) I say let's wait and see.

Wikipedia can't produce a fake interview with Moore. Wikipedia is actually quite reliable when it comes to properly cited information, it's the uncited claims that generally turn out to be rumor.

Groove
July 22nd, 2007, 10:41 AM
Yeah, I did say "backed up sources". Well, I would've expected it to be nearing airing to coincide with the new BSG season - look at Atlantis speeding alongside SG-1.

Read 'back-burner' as: it's not going to happen but if we say that, we'll get too much of an uproar.

Sci-fi have made so many bad calls with air dates and times and what to put on and what not to put on (resulting in the demise of SG-1 and a drop in BSG ratings), you'd think they've had learnt their lesson by now.

griffindorgirl
July 22nd, 2007, 04:57 PM
I heard a little about the show. I think that it might be produced after BSG wraps its final season. I also heard that they are planning a movie aabout the Pegusas. Whatever they decide I am looking forward to seeing.

BubblingOverWithIdeas
July 22nd, 2007, 07:32 PM
I heard a little about the show. I think that it might be produced after BSG wraps its final season. I also heard that they are planning a movie aabout the Pegusas. Whatever they decide I am looking forward to seeing.

Razor is a movie about the Pegasus, coming in November of this year. Is that what you mean?

Oreo
July 22nd, 2007, 09:00 PM
I think it's unlikely to become a TV show but might because a TV movie or a series of TV movies.

deathskull
July 27th, 2007, 02:22 PM
well i hope it does go into production

the fifth man
July 28th, 2007, 08:22 PM
I for one won't be holding my breath waiting for Caprica to ever air. I sadly just don't see it happening.

CaldwellForce
August 1st, 2007, 05:04 AM
after the dull plot twists in s2 and dull soap in s2, the bsg fanbase eroded

Kick-Kinsey
August 17th, 2007, 06:27 PM
BSG had cheap costumes, it once had a good story arc but when the story got flushed down the toilet fans walked away, BSG also had cheap sets and a boring soap opera plot, this is why Caprica will never air

ATrain
August 17th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Cheap costumes? The costumes are no better or worse than any other sci fi. Kind of a lame criticism.

I think they might start Caprica after BSG ends. Sci Fi does have a lot on their plate at the moment with new seasons starting, the SG1 movies, and the Pegasus movie. I don't think its unlikely that their may be a BSG movie of some sort after BSG ends. I just think the network may have too much going on to start developing or producing Caprica at the moment.

the fifth man
August 17th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Cheap costumes? The costumes are no better or worse than any other sci fi. Kind of a lame criticism.

I think they might start Caprica after BSG ends. Sci Fi does have a lot on their plate at the moment with new seasons starting, the SG1 movies, and the Pegasus movie. I don't think its unlikely that their may be a BSG movie of some sort after BSG ends. I just think the network may have too much going on to start developing or producing Caprica at the moment.

FYI, Sci-Fi Channel has nothing to do with the SG-1 movies (thank God!) MGM backed them.

I just feel that the odds of us ever seeing what "Caprica" was supposed to be are very slim.

ATrain
August 17th, 2007, 07:01 PM
FYI, Sci-Fi Channel has nothing to do with the SG-1 movies (thank God!) MGM backed them.

I just feel that the odds of us ever seeing what "Caprica" was supposed to be are very slim.

Alright, but I assume Sci Fi will air the SG1 movies (maybe I'm wrong again). So what I'm saying is there's a lot for some people to get excited about (maybe) on Sci Fi in the next 6 months and Sci Fi could be saving Carpica as something new for next year 2008-2009.

the fifth man
August 17th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Alright, but I assume Sci Fi will air the SG1 movies (maybe I'm wrong again). So what I'm saying is there's a lot for some people to get excited about (maybe) on Sci Fi in the next 6 months and Sci Fi could be saving Carpica as something new for next year 2008-2009.

As of right now, you are (no big deal though). As far as anyone knows right now, Sci-Fi has no involvement yet in airing the SG-1 movies. They will come out on DVD first. At some point though, they may eventually air on Sci-Fi.

I wouldn't mind at all seeing Caprica, as maybe a movie or mini-series.

Zatarc
August 18th, 2007, 06:42 PM
It will be sad to see BSG go, being such a quality and thoroughly enjoyable show, but at least it will avoid it being dragged on and suffering a fate akin to may other shows (not speaking of my beloved SG-1 of course). Bearing that in mind, I still think itd be a good to see a spin-off from BSG but a caprica based one I feel has too much of the potential to become a soap-opera.

May be a spin-off based on the future of the BSG universe would be an idea to follow??

X-3-0-2
September 11th, 2007, 06:45 AM
They screwed the pooch storywise

Oreo
September 11th, 2007, 10:48 AM
I think it will be made once Sci-fi cancels everything and realize they have nothing. :)

the fifth man
September 12th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I think it will be made once Sci-fi cancels everything and realize they have nothing. :)

With the Sci-Fi Channel, I've come to learn that anything is possible from them.

ToasterOnFire
September 13th, 2007, 11:47 AM
All the recent talk about skiffy splitting up BSG into 2008 and 2009 segments gives me less hope for Caprica. I don't see how the split would help the BSG franchise and it makes me wonder if skiffy isn't interested in continuing it anymore.

s09119
September 13th, 2007, 03:36 PM
With the Sci-Fi Channel, I've come to learn that anything is possible from them.

Only if the following is true:

Anything: (Idiom) (an·y·thing)

1. Meaning "nothing".
2. Meaning "nothing good can come from this horrid channel".
3. Meaning "Why the **** did someone decide to let Skiffy air Stargate/BSG??

lol

the_dark_light
September 14th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Only if the following is true:

Anything: (Idiom) (an·y·thing)

1. Meaning "nothing".
2. Meaning "nothing good can come from this horrid channel".
3. Meaning "Why the **** did someone decide to let Skiffy air Stargate/BSG??

lol

LOL Yes! Sci-Fi has the reverse midas touch. Everything they touch gets frakked up!

Zatarc
September 15th, 2007, 02:20 PM
All the recent talk about skiffy splitting up BSG into 2008 and 2009 segments gives me less hope for Caprica. I don't see how the split would help the BSG franchise and it makes me wonder if skiffy isn't interested in continuing it anymore.

Really? My god, what a-holes :samanime15: . Just trying to increase their advertising potential revenue. Keep us hanging on by a thread...probably going to try and sell us a half boxset a la Season 2.0

Kick-Kinsey
September 21st, 2007, 04:40 AM
I also heard that they are planning a movie aabout the Pegusas.

'Battlstar Razor' its called

X-3-0-2
September 22nd, 2007, 07:12 AM
Eick left the series to make a reimagined Bionic Woman

Kick-Kinsey
October 5th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Galactica writers on strike ?
http://forums.scifi.com/index.php?showtopic=2289490&st=0
WGA Strike

ToasterOnFire
January 22nd, 2008, 02:02 PM
There are new rumblings (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35301) that the writer's strike and lack of new material may push skiffy into producing and airing the (already written) Caprica pilot ep. Works for me. :)

Anonmatel
January 22nd, 2008, 10:26 PM
There are new rumblings (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35301) that the writer's strike and lack of new material may push skiffy into producing and airing the (already written) Caprica pilot ep. Works for me. :)

Well at least one good thing has come out of the writers strike.... Although it means more DVD's I'll have to buy down the track... Grrrr

Deckard07
January 23rd, 2008, 11:22 AM

Lords of Kobal I hope not...from what I heard it would be a soap opera set in the BSG universe. I'm all for a BSG prequel but not this crap...

DOIKECARTER
January 25th, 2008, 02:07 AM
please, please, please.....We should hope for the best for Caprica.

Sci-Fi
January 25th, 2008, 03:01 AM
The SFC could do a Caprica tele-movie or mini-series and see how that plays out with the Nielsen ratings. Would be a gamble either way (for the studio and the writers/producers) if the spec script has flaws that people aren't comfortable with. The producers would almost have to get a few big or recognizable names to believe in the project and play the main parts like BSG did.

Personally, a series based on the events after the exodus from Kobol would be more interesting and the timeline would be more relaxed, so there are more subject matter that can be explored. The competition, wars, or prejudices between the colonies can take the place of the Cylons. In BSG, RDM never explained why some colonies were looked down upon or why some followed a strict interpretation of the sacred scrolls. Lot of material there that can be told.

DOIKECARTER
January 25th, 2008, 05:00 AM
First cylon war excerpts looked terrific in Razor. Civilians suffering.....maybe a violent version of I, Robot?

Bey0nd
February 19th, 2008, 08:33 AM

So was Razor really the Caprica spin-off ?

Sci-Fi
February 20th, 2008, 08:38 AM
So was Razor really the Caprica spin-off ?

No, Razor just follows what happened to the Pegasus and it's crew and what choices they made in order to survive after the surprise attack....which is radically different than the path BSG decided to follow.

Caprica is set at least 50 years before the 1st Cylon War and is supposed to explore the ethical and moral questions about creating the Cylons or semi to self aware machines.

Remi Aubuchon actually pitched the concept of an allegorical story about slavery with robots that had nothing to do with BSG and Universal got him together with RDM and Eick (who were considering a BSG spinoff series of their own, but no details are known) and "Caprica" was born.

Personally, I would rather have a BSG based spinoff sometime in the future and not rehash past events, which we know what happens in the end. Whether or not the Colonials make or repeat the same mistakes is up to the writers and how they tell the story. Besides the uncertainty of what the future holds is often more interesting and the inhumanity to others that don't hold the same values is part of the human condition, whether they are biological or machines. The Colonials could settle within the Earth's solar system, like Mars or Europa for instance, or find habitable worlds in the nearby star clusters/systems.

Occasional fighting over resources or quality/way of life could replace the Cylons as the threat to peace and possible human extinction. Is the future all that great or just an extension of today's world? There's always the Cylons that want to wipe out humanity, can see the current Cylons splitting into camps...if the writers want to continue an external threat to keep the story interesting. It would be no different that what happened in WW2 where there was an uneasy alliance and lots of mistrust, scheming, and spying among the "allies". And everybody during that time did some human experimentation and there was plenty of prejudices practiced on both sides. So there is plenty of material/stories the writers can tell with or without an ongoing war.

Night Marshal
February 20th, 2008, 01:27 PM
In BSG, RDM never explained why some colonies were looked down upon or why some followed a strict interpretation of the sacred scrolls. Lot of material there that can be told.
this is a easy one the writers including RDM wanted to monolong about how bad racism is because that makes the writers better people don't you know.

Thats also why we got the "union" episode and so much of BSG has become one big perch fest. I think there are some story elements but they seems to take a back seat far to often RDM perching. Take that and that fact that RDM can't deliver BSG on time and on budget I have to really think aren't helping his chances of getting Caprica made.

Edit(
I know I'm hammer BSG really hard on this point but it really bugs me if you want to see a show that handles moral issues well watch Babylon 5. You can also always take almost any side of an issue after watching an episode thats good writing because it makes you think and realize that there is more than one way to look at the issue. To me that something BSG does not do its there view or nothing most of the time.
Edit)
Its really a shame because the best of BSG was the mini and the first season. In all likely hood I would expect the first season to be fairly good before its turned the suck on. I also think they would be better if he went back to the 13 episode seasons. I don't know I think thats the reason that Sci-fi/NBC wouldn't grantee RDM a fifth season of BSG because he just isn't that good a show runner. He's a great writer and I think he is good head writer but he just can't keep the show wheels from falling off. I guess I will judge after season 4 but not holding my breath.

Mister Oragahn
February 20th, 2008, 05:21 PM
this is a easy one the writers including RDM wanted to monolong about how bad racism is because that makes the writers better people don't you know.

Thats also why we got the "union" episode and so much of BSG has become one big perch fest. I think there are some story elements but they seems to take a back seat far to often RDM perching. Take that and that fact that RDM can't deliver BSG on time and on budget I have to really think aren't helping his chances of getting Caprica made.

Edit(
I know I'm hammer BSG really hard on this point but it really bugs me if you want to see a show that handles moral issues well watch Babylon 5. You can also always take almost any side of an issue after watching an episode thats good writing because it makes you think and realize that there is more than one way to look at the issue. To me that something BSG does not do its there view or nothing most of the time.
Edit)
Its really a shame because the best of BSG was the mini and the first season. In all likely hood I would expect the first season to be fairly good before its turned the suck on. I also think they would be better if he went back to the 13 episode seasons. I don't know I think thats the reason that Sci-fi/NBC wouldn't grantee RDM a fifth season of BSG because he just isn't that good a show runner. He's a great writer and I think he is good head writer but he just can't keep the show wheels from falling off. I guess I will judge after season 4 but not holding my breath.

I don't get everything you're trying to say, but I'll say that a good part of season 3 was supposed to deal more about the Sagitarians I believe, and other more religious colonies, but this didn't happen, and fillers creeped in.

Fortunately, the writers recognized this mistake (I read an interview on that somewhere), so I suppose we can plan on S4 to be a tightly packed dose of the best BSG has to give.

Besides, the end of S3 was great. Irrelevant, I know, but meh.
I don't get why S2 gets such slack by some. It was really balls on wall, with lots of tensions, with lines continuing to blur even more, with great space battles, great action, lots of tension, more politics, the arrival of excellent characters, and more groups forming.

March 19th, 2008, 11:14 AM
http://www.syfyportal.com/news424829.html

Source: Hollywood Reporter
Mar-18-2008

During a recent news conference, the SciFi Channel announced that "Caprica," the prequel to the network's popular series "Battlestar Galactica" which has been in development for two years, will get a two-hour pilot episode that will begin production this Spring, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
"Caprica" is set 50 years before the "Galactica" series takes place, and will focus on the Adama family and the origins of the mechanical race of Cylons. Ronald D. Moore and David Eick will oversee the project.

In related news, "Galactica" webisodes and a game based on the show will appear in mid-April.

Bey0nd
June 14th, 2008, 04:06 PM
The last cylon will be revealed just as the new Caprica series airs

Kezia
June 15th, 2008, 07:36 AM

Really?

Don't ask why, but I've somehow got this idea in my head that Caprica would be airing sometime late 2008.

g.o.d
June 15th, 2008, 10:24 AM

I don't think so.

MediaSavant
June 16th, 2008, 05:44 AM
According to backed-up sources on Wikipedia (bottom paragraph) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caprica_%28TV_series%29), it looks like Caprica will never see it in to production.

Could you tell me what you are referring to?

Here's the bottom paragraph and it looks like the backdoor pilot is still being produced to me:

After a drawn-out pre-development cycle, on March 18, 2008, the Sci-Fi Channel announced that Caprica had been picked up as a two-hour backdoor pilot event, indicating a possible commitment to a series, contingent on ratings.[5][6]

NBC Universal Television Studio is developing the show, in conjunction with the executive producers of Battlestar Galactica (Ronald D. Moore and David Eick) and 24 writer Remi Aubuchon, who is writing the pilot, and is set to be the show runner. The pilot will be directed by Friday Night Lights veteran Jeffrey Reiner.[citation needed]

According to a statement by Ron Moore in the Season 3 Companion book, the proposed Caprica prequel series will have a story-arc-heavy format like its predecessor; a large reason why the network is reluctant to greenlight the series is because story-arc-heavy series notoriously have difficulty in picking up new viewers, as compared to a series composed of mostly standalone episodes.[citation needed]

This was already the cause of friction between Moore and the Sci-Fi Channel at Caprica's parent series — the first two seasons of Battlestar Galactica were arc-intensive, with detailed attention to internal continuity, but were not pulling in the Nielsen ratings that the network wanted, so the Sci-Fi Channel pressured Moore into retooling the third season of BSG to consist of largely standalone episodes.

The Hollywood Reporter has regularly had casting news for the production, like the following from May 19th:

In other casting news, Polly Walker has come on board Sci Fi Channel's two-hour pilot "Caprica," <snip>

On the "Galactica" prequel "Caprica," Walker ("Rome") will play Sister Clarice Willow, the gracious, eloquent and duplicitous high priestess and headmistress of the Athena Academy, a private religious school.

So, I'm kinda confused about what you are talking about.

daniel9
June 16th, 2008, 06:05 AM
there is no such thing as backed up sources on wikipedia. it is wikipedia. enough said

StayingOccupied
June 26th, 2008, 12:22 PM
there is no such thing as backed up sources on wikipedia. it is wikipedia. enough said

uhhhh, yes there is. Just click the source and follow it off wikipedia.

X-3-0-2
July 21st, 2008, 09:35 AM

links ?

MrBright
July 24th, 2008, 08:14 AM
A trailer is up for "Caprica"

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=14&id=57977

maneth
July 25th, 2008, 10:27 AM
That trailer looks cool, and I feel a lot more optimistic about Caprica now.

Asgard4eva
November 12th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Yeah, I did say "backed up sources". Well, I would've expected it to be nearing airing to coincide with the new BSG season - look at Atlantis speeding alongside SG-1.

Read 'back-burner' as: it's not going to happen but if we say that, we'll get too much of an uproar.

Sci-fi have made so many bad calls with air dates and times and what to put on and what not to put on (resulting in the demise of SG-1 and a drop in BSG ratings), you'd think they've had learnt their lesson by now.

10 Worst Series Finales

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/entertainment/2009/10/06/tvs-worst-series-finales?slide=10

The X-Files
Roseanne
QuantumLeap
ThePrisoner
Seinfeld
LittleHouseonthePrairie
GilligansIsland
Felicity
StElsewhere

Battlestar Galactica

Battlestar Galactica: Aired: March 20, 2009 "Daybreak, Part 2."

Four seasons of high adventure on the high space seas led to Capricans' "discovering" a lightly-populated earth from a few hundred thousand years ago, and becoming the Missing Link? Okay, that almost makes sense. But then a major character announces "my work here is done" and vanishes, turning what had been a sci-fi show that mixed elements of any number of religious theosophies into a polemic for intelligent design with this "touched by an angel" cop-out. The dust is still settling on this finale, but for now -- it fits just fine here, thanks to the way it betrayed its own history. What the frak, indeed.

Source: Sci-Fi