PDA

View Full Version : What Happened to Dresden Files?

Liam Kincaid
July 20th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Was it cancelled or renewed? I am having trouble finding out.

Trek_Girl42
July 20th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Nobody knows for sure, but it's looking more and more likely that it's been cancelled.

Liam Kincaid
July 20th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Nobody knows for sure, but it's looking more and more likely that it's been cancelled.
They re-ran the last episode during the same time period that it was rumored thy were going to announce whether the show was being renewed. I thought that was a good sign, but it was weeks ago, and I haven't seen or heard anything since.

the fifth man
July 20th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Wouldn't really surprise me at all if Sci-Fi yanked the plug on it.

Trek_Girl42
July 20th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Wouldn't really surprise me at all if Sci-Fi yanked the plug on it.
Yeah, I thought they were going to announce whether it was renewerd sometime in June-ish- but by July 15 at the latest. Sooo.....we're not drastically far past the deadline, but I'm not holding my breath. The first season wasn't great, but it certainly had potential (I had higher hopes for it).

I'm really just surprised that SCI-FI hasn't said anything at all regarding the future of the show yet.

the fifth man
July 20th, 2007, 07:43 PM
I'm really just surprised that SCI-FI hasn't said anything at all regarding the future of the show yet.

I can't really say I'm surprised at all with the things Sci-Fi does. They're probably still on the fence about what to do concerning it.

Dezdmona
July 21st, 2007, 07:51 AM
I really like Dresden & hope it's renewed.

It's a show I can watch with my son, whereas I have to turn off junk like Painkiller Jane.

ShadowMaat
July 21st, 2007, 08:31 AM
NBC pulled the same trick with Surface- a really loooong wait plus a couple of seemingly hopeful signs (mostly folks grabbing straws) only to get nixed. With Skiffy falling under the NBCU umbrealla, I'm not surprised they're pulling this rotten trick, either. It's as good as canceled, even Robert Wolfe has been hinting as much over on the Jim Butcher forum.

DF had a lot of potential, but I think Skiffy set it up to fail, particularly after jacking around with the pilot. I'm disappointed, but I like the books better, anyway and those won't be ending any time soon, thank the gods. :)

So when does the screaming and cursing and illogical attacks against Flash Gordon start? ;)

TechnoWraith
July 21st, 2007, 10:33 AM
Was it cancelled or renewed? I am having trouble finding out.

Knowing ciFi, they canacelled it, but they're not about to come out and explicitly say that.

If they ever bothered to keep a series around for than a month, they would probably actually have a fan base.

Oreo
July 21st, 2007, 06:28 PM
Surface was laughable. I watched it because it was a BAD Godzilla movie. It was caceled for bad ratings.

Painkiller Jane is trash, and I don't see it getting renewed unless it's cheap to make. I have higher hopes for the Flash show and Warehouse 13.

PG15
July 21st, 2007, 08:16 PM
I think Painkiller Jane has already been renewed.

Nevermind, false alarm.

Trek_Girl42
July 21st, 2007, 08:41 PM
I think Painkiller Jane has already been renewed.
Pleeeeease say that that's a really bad joke. :S

PG15
July 21st, 2007, 08:42 PM
I don't know, I heard it on some Stargate ratings thread. I'll try to dig it up, stand by...

PG15
July 21st, 2007, 08:51 PM
Ok, my bad. It seems the thread I saw it on didn't really present a clear source either. Man, this is definitely a moment's lapse in logic for me. Not a good sign. ;)

so, yeah, PKJ's fate is still unknown at the moment.

Trek_Girl42
July 21st, 2007, 09:07 PM
Thank goodness! If that piece of crap gets renewed..... :S

Elles
July 21st, 2007, 10:09 PM
I saw an episode of PKJ... I must say that it had a kind of intriguing plot for that particular episode, but it was done so horribly I left a quarter way through and went to play pool in my friend's basement.

Me no likes.

Me likes Dresden.

ShadowMaat
July 22nd, 2007, 07:19 AM
Surface was laughable. I watched it because it was a BAD Godzilla movie. It was canceled for bad ratings.
Meh. The quality of the shows is kind of irrelevant. My point is that, like Dresden, Surface fans were left waiting and wondering about the fate of their show long past deadline... and they were finding the same kind of "inconsistencies" in web and commercial content, especially the season vs. series stuff.

jckfan55
July 22nd, 2007, 07:28 AM
Dresden Files was one of their better efforts, I thought. PKJ is not only junk but boring besides--I haven't made it through a whole episode, but I've tried a couple of times.

Liam Kincaid
July 22nd, 2007, 08:32 AM
Yeah, I thought they were going to announce whether it was renewerd sometime in June-ish- but by July 15 at the latest. Sooo.....we're not drastically far past the deadline, but I'm not holding my breath. The first season wasn't great, but it certainly had potential (I had higher hopes for it).

I think July 15th was the day that they re-aired the final episode ( well I hope its not the FINAL episode ). Since that was the deadline for them to announce their decision, I took it as a sign that they had decided to renew. But they haven't aired anything or announced anything since. Do they just like messing with us for some reason?

SGalisa
July 25th, 2007, 06:48 PM
So when does the screaming and cursing and illogical attacks against Flash Gordon start? ;)

It's already started (see GW topic link below).. and the show hasn't even aired yet (and some of the comments are already in the negative).

"Flash Freakin’ Gordon!!" (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=39436)

Gina Holden (currently in "Blood Ties" on LIFETIME) sounds like she's gonna be a fiesty ex-girlfriend for *the Flash*. ;)

The only thing I saw in the Sci-Fi commercial that I'm not so sure about is Ming the Merciless.. something just looked robotically weird about that scene snippet, but I'm not sure what it was.

So, what needs to be done to motivate Dresden to come back?
Several weeks ago, I thought I saw the actor (Paul Blackthorne) who plays Dresden in real life at an antique collector's meet.. I kept wondering if he was looking for props for the show or for himself (for real).

He was just standing there looking around for almost 2 hours (not much to look at going around and around!), and he left without buying anything. But his coat, casual t-shirt *look* w/jeans and shoes looked very similar to the ones worn on the actual show! He was also tall - that's one of the reasons why I noticed his presence in the room at all.

I also discovered later that day that it could have been him, because he was going to appear at a ComicCon or some sort of "Horror Convention" that very weekend a few miles down the road!
That was *cool* .. even tho he never spoke to me (because I was babysitting a table), if he did stop by and say "hello" -- I had an insatiable desire to ask him how Murphy was doing, too.. :p
:D

I soooooo desperately wanted to hear him speak, so I could get voice confirmation if it even remotely sounded like him. If not, I wouldn't have asked any further.. but alas, he never said a word! :(

Oreo
July 26th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Meh. The quality of the shows is kind of irrelevant. My point is that, like Dresden, Surface fans were left waiting and wondering about the fate of their show long past deadline... and they were finding the same kind of "inconsistencies" in web and commercial content, especially the season vs. series stuff.

Smart Surface fans knew the show was canceled long before the finale episode was shown.

NBC gave them a full season (22) and then went "oh you only get 17 episodes". That means it was doomed.

Cassiopeia
July 30th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Think I can help with some information. I've also been checking websites looking for renewal/cancellation news, I quite liked the show and found the books (which I love!) because of it, and would have liked to see how the show did in a second season.

Unfortunately..... there was an announcement on the Jim Butcher website (I can't post a link but it's jimbutcher.com, and go to the forum for tv show renewal watch or several items down the news page where there's a link to the same thread on the forum) which says that sci fi had the option to renew but chose not to. There's been a few campaigns running to try to ensure renewal and I believe those are now being targetted to try to get it reinstated, there's links on that website and they list their sources too so I think it's reliable.