PDA

View Full Version : AOT=TLC? Spoilers.

Major_Griff
July 19th, 2007, 02:13 AM
Everyone keeps talking about of Continuum sounds alot like Moebeus, but what about AoT? To me it sounds just like The Lost City.

TLC: When SG-1 receives information that a goa'uld attack is imenent, they set off to find the mythic lost city of the ancients for a way to stop the attack.

Aot: When SG-1 receives information that an ori attack is imenent, they set off to find the mythic Ark of Truth for a way to stop the attack.

Sound the same to me. Don't get me wrong I'm looking forward to both movies, but I just feel that Continuum is getting a bad rap since it would seem both movies are recycled plots from the show.

kymeric
July 19th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Everyone keeps talking about of Continuum sounds alot like Moebeus, but what about AoT? To me it sounds just like The Lost City.

TLC: When SG-1 receives information that a goa'uld attack is imenent, they set off to find the mythic lost city of the ancients for a way to stop the attack.

Aot: When SG-1 receives information that an ori attack is imenent, they set off to find the mythic Ark of Truth for a way to stop the attack.

Sound the same to me. Don't get me wrong I'm looking forward to both movies, but I just feel that Continuum is getting a bad rap since it would seem both movies are recycled plots from the show.

Then dont watch it, go watch reruns of lost city or the other. No ones forcing you. And you know complaining about its not gonna change it.

Major_Griff
July 19th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Then dont watch it, go watch reruns of lost city or the other. No ones forcing you. And you know complaining about its not gonna change it.

Wow... if you actually read my post you would know that I said I am looking forward to both films and that I was only pointing this out since it would seem Conituum is being called out for recycling an old plot but not Aot when its doing the same. Take a chill pill, calm down, and actually read people's post before you over react and sound stupid.

the fifth man
July 19th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Let's try and keep the peace, all.

spacecowboy000
July 19th, 2007, 10:20 PM
In the TLC the story took place in the MW and the majority of it on or above Earth with the bad guys coming to us. AOT will primarily take place in the Ori galaxy and for a change we will be taking it to the bad guys. I may see a few similarities, but not enough to logically deduce what is going to happen. Let's all just wait for and enjoy the movie when it comes out.

Mandysg1
July 20th, 2007, 09:07 AM

You're right it does sound like TLC, but I also get the feeling of the Indiana Jones movies ;)

Flyboy
July 21st, 2007, 04:25 PM
Ok ok. Right.

I can GUARANTEE I'm going to be accused of being rude/arrogant/harsh/etc for this, but here goes...

Why on Earth does it seem that everyone who suggests that any new SG plot is just a rehash or is unimaginitive is fair game for abuse and to be told "well don't watch it!"? As fans, are we no longer entitled to expect quality entertainment that is both original and intelligent?

It seems to me that now if someone so much as criticises a creative move people turn round and say "don't watch it then", in otherwords "put up and shut up!".

Why? It seems to me that S7, 8 and 9&10 had the same damn deus ex machina, find the alien tech, save the day with it. Seems like the next movie has that as well.

I suppose my point is that if we all settle down into a rut where we just accept whatever rubbish is thrown at us and lynch anyone who dares complain, aside from getting disturbingly Orwelian, we'll be putting up with a lot of rubbish.

PG15
July 21st, 2007, 05:09 PM
Tell me, you say we shouldn't accept this, but what can complaining on an Internet message board accomplish? How can it, in anyway, lead to a change in this cycle?

Don't get me wrong, complaining about stuff is perfectly fine if you just want to voice your dissatisfaction, but don't pretend for a minute that that's going to change anything upstairs.

Flyboy
July 22nd, 2007, 04:06 AM
Tell me, you say we shouldn't accept this, but what can complaining on an Internet message board accomplish? How can it, in anyway, lead to a change in this cycle?

Don't get me wrong, complaining about stuff is perfectly fine if you just want to voice your dissatisfaction, but don't pretend for a minute that that's going to change anything upstairs.
Never said it would, and I'm not solely referring to the comments in this thread, it's been going on for so long it's unbelievable. People who demand quality get shouted down and the rest seem like they'd be happy if Jackson pulled a magic wand out of his... pocket, and attacked the Ori with it.

July 22nd, 2007, 04:03 PM
When I first saw the title of your thread, I thought you meant that the Ark of Truth was TLC - "The Learning Channel" - i.e. that it's a device that teaches people the truth via some sort of multimedia presentation.

Battera
July 23rd, 2007, 08:06 PM
...well, if you found out your home planet was going to be attacked by aliens, would you want the heroes to just sit in front of a TV screen and twiddle their thumbs? noooooooooooo...

It's a tired plot device, I'll admit, but a logical one.

Flyboy
July 27th, 2007, 02:39 PM
What would be more fun is if Sg1 would maybe... save the world the way they used to in S1-6. Through their own wit and cunning.

Stef
July 27th, 2007, 04:40 PM
I'm sorry, but the show has made what, 200+ episodes. There is bound to be overlap in ideas. What's that saying about there being no new ideas? Besides, if I word it a certain way, I could probably draw similiarities from either movie to a number of episodes.

Like the original poster said, I think that Continuum has gotten a bad wrap. It's a time travel story, that's about as similiar as it sounds to me to Moebius. All time travel stories have similiarities because they share a basic premise. There's no way around it. At this point, we still know very little about the movie's actual plot...so I don't know how people can be claiming it at Moebius 2.0.

As for AoT, if it's the same basic idea as TLC, then it's the same idea. It's the details and the execution that matters the most.

-Stef

einx359
July 27th, 2007, 05:41 PM
i really don't see the similarities between AOT and TLC. I mean, the only thing i see similar is that earth is threatened, and we need to find technology. Which is pretty much the entire theme of all of SG1. the entire stargate program is about trying to find tech to help us.

I think rather, that AOT is revisiting something we haven't seen too much of and is good that its coming back: the morality issue. The moral implications behind using the ark make it a much more interesting story than TLC. TLC was a race to save ourselves, and we made it just in the nick of time. Here, i think the fact that we aren't even sure ourselves if we want to use it makes it even better.

Flyboy
July 28th, 2007, 05:01 AM
Well... really the idea that we must go on a quest to find ancient tech only came in with Season 7 (or the end of S6 if youre picky), before hand it was always up to SG1 to use what we'd already got. Now EVERY solution is to find the alien tech to save the world. S7=Ancient Outpost, S8 = Dakara, S9&10 = Sangraal, AOT = The um... Ark of Truth.

See the problem?

Stef
July 28th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Well, technically, in the early seasons they were also in search of something, weapons to fight the Go'auld. With each new villain that's created, you have to find a new way to defeat them. How boring would it be if the Ori could just be destroyed by a few nuclear warheads? Every episode would just be them blowing up a ship. They're not threatening if they can be defeated by something we already have at our disposal. SG-1 was only able to defeat their enemies in the earlier seasons by gaining new, advanced technologies, or by learning new ways of doing things.

Also, take into consideration that unlike the previous three things you mentioned, the team isn't searching for a weapon to physically destroy their enemy but rather a means of opening the crusader's eyes to the truth.

-Stef

jenks
July 28th, 2007, 06:01 AM
Well... really the idea that we must go on a quest to find ancient tech only came in with Season 7 (or the end of S6 if youre picky), before hand it was always up to SG1 to use what we'd already got. Now EVERY solution is to find the alien tech to save the world. S7=Ancient Outpost, S8 = Dakara, S9&10 = Sangraal, AOT = The um... Ark of Truth.

See the problem?

No. SG-1 has always been about searching for technology to defend Earth, they're just better at it now.

Flyboy
July 28th, 2007, 06:13 AM
No. SG-1 has always been about searching for technology to defend Earth, they're just better at it now.
Yes of course Sg1 was always about searching for new technology. BUT that was the reason they were going out into the universe, it was almost background.

S1 - The world is saved through SG1's own cunning and guts.
S2 - Hathor was defeated by effective military action.
S3 - SG1 save the world by working out how to autopilot a ship into an uncontrolled re-entry into Earth's atmosphere.
S4 - SG1 defeats Apophis' fleet by blowing up a sun. (a bloody sun!)
S5 - Not exactly a major victory but still achieved through sheer guts and intelligence.
S6 - Bit of a failure really (which makes for good TV), Abydos is destroyed, Daniel is descended and SG1 lose the eye of Ra.

All six of those seasons ended with SG1 defeating (or not) the bad guys using technology already available to them or coming up with something due to sheer brilliance (Carter and the Sun).

Then S7 occured. Which was FINE, as hey, it was supposed to spawn Atlantis... but now what do we have.

S7 - SG1 saves the world with Alien Weapons
S8 - SG1 saves the galaxy with Alien Technology
S9 - SG1 goes on a wild goose chase and gets their ass kicked because they don't have alien weapons.
S10 - SG1 saves the galaxy with alien weapons.

Ark of Truth - SG1 is searching for Alien Tech.

So, yes. SG1 has ALWAYS been on the lookout for alien tech, but for the first six years they won their battles themselves. Now it's CONSTANTLYa quest to find the latest space gun. The originality is gone. Because we KNOW how it'll play out. We didn't know that before. We know they'll go through lots of trials, they'll find the tech (after Jackson has had a startling revelation), and then they'll use it. Then they'll win.

Just a thought, but... you know.

jenks
July 28th, 2007, 06:30 AM
So...

S1 - Cunning
S2 - Cunning
S3 - Cunning
S4 - Alien Tech
S5 - Meh
S6 - Owned
S7 - Alien Tech
S8 - Alien Tech
S9 - Owned
S10 - Alien Tech

Looks like a natural progression to me, anyway it's not like we didn't know how it would end before, instead of finding tech and saving the say we knew they'd come up with a plan and save the day. I prefer them to be on quests to be honest, running around on Ha'taks gets a bit old...

Flyboy
July 28th, 2007, 08:13 AM
So...

S1 - Cunning
S2 - Cunning
S3 - Cunning
S4 - Alien Tech
S5 - Meh
S6 - Owned
S7 - Alien Tech
S8 - Alien Tech
S9 - Owned
S10 - Alien Tech

Looks like a natural progression to me, anyway it's not like we didn't know how it would end before, instead of finding tech and saving the say we knew they'd come up with a plan and save the day. I prefer them to be on quests to be honest, running around on Ha'taks gets a bit old...
*smiles*

I'd argue that technically S4 as alien tech doesn't quite count as they were already on the ship and still had to use what was at their disposal.

And you are right, we knew they'd come up with a plan, but wasn't it interesting in seeing how that plan would turn out and what would go wrong?

I have nothing AGAINST the quest format. It worked. I'm just not happy with it being used EVERY time. "Earth's going to be invaded, let's scour the galaxy for a new weapon!" It would be nice to see an old fashioned "oh bloody hell we've JUST come under attack, what can we do?"

Since 9&10 were the same quest, for the past 5 years we've had nothing but the quest to find ONE piece of tech that will miraculously save us. What on Earth happened to us saving ourselves?

That's one of the reasons I've been enjoying Atlantis, it's been about thinking with what you've got to save the day, not going to find a magic wand.

ses110
July 28th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Thank you for your posts. I feel the same way as you. I'll buy the 2nd movie even though I'm not happy at all it's AU. IMO we can do without more AU for SG-1 and SciFi in general. I'm not a Fan of reset buttons and I'm all AU'ed out. I understand if other feel differently.

cheese
July 30th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Agree 100% with you Flying Officer Bennett.

Morrolan
August 8th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Yes of course Sg1 was always about searching for new technology. BUT that was the reason they were going out into the universe, it was almost background.

S1 - The world is saved through SG1's own cunning and guts.
S2 - Hathor was defeated by effective military action.
S3 - SG1 save the world by working out how to autopilot a ship into an uncontrolled re-entry into Earth's atmosphere.
S4 - SG1 defeats Apophis' fleet by blowing up a sun. (a bloody sun!)
S5 - Not exactly a major victory but still achieved through sheer guts and intelligence.
S6 - Bit of a failure really (which makes for good TV), Abydos is destroyed, Daniel is descended and SG1 lose the eye of Ra.

All six of those seasons ended with SG1 defeating (or not) the bad guys using technology already available to them or coming up with something due to sheer brilliance (Carter and the Sun).

Then S7 occured. Which was FINE, as hey, it was supposed to spawn Atlantis... but now what do we have.

S7 - SG1 saves the world with Alien Weapons
S8 - SG1 saves the galaxy with Alien Technology
S9 - SG1 goes on a wild goose chase and gets their ass kicked because they don't have alien weapons.
S10 - SG1 saves the galaxy with alien weapons.

Ark of Truth - SG1 is searching for Alien Tech.

So, yes. SG1 has ALWAYS been on the lookout for alien tech, but for the first six years they won their battles themselves. Now it's CONSTANTLYa quest to find the latest space gun. The originality is gone. Because we KNOW how it'll play out. We didn't know that before. We know they'll go through lots of trials, they'll find the tech (after Jackson has had a startling revelation), and then they'll use it. Then they'll win.

Just a thought, but... you know.

Very well presented. I always liked how the team progressed technically over the years, but you hit the bullseye. Progression is great, but more than a couple of episodes where the humans are better equipped than their enemies does get redundant.