Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ori ships' shields - do they absorb energy?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ori ships' shields - do they absorb energy?

One of those countless Unending related threads saw a member reveal that an official magazine had the following information:

The shields of Ori warships (toilet ships/crusaders/else) absorb the energy of enemy fire.

Now, I don't consider the info from such magazines to be particularily reliable, and certainly not canonical.

That said, it was something I strongly expected since Beachhead, so here's a few things I have to say.

If the the Ori ships' shields absorb energy, which I kinda expected considering the way their planet crushing shields work, then the asgard beam weapons could be a very specific and low yield weapon, meant to weaken such shields, without feeding them too much with energy.

This could be related to an exploitation of the shields' fluctuations.

The Beachhead shield did have fluctuations, and was weakening everytime it stretched, but it was also compensatedly resupplied in energy by the stargate and the Ha'taks' & Prometheus' bombardment, and finally by the gatebuster.

The idea is probably to have the fluctuations happen without feeding the shields too much, then you saturate it somehow, and you cut through it.

That said, if the ships' shields do absorb enemy fire, there's two things to say.

1. At least, something that would make the Ori really terrific. It is logical to see such a feature.
    2. There's just no way to destroy them safe with exotic and specific weaponry, or with insane amounts of power.

Actually, thinking about it, it's possible that the pulse weapons are used to bleed off energy, and that's possibly why we saw them used in the only most intensive spacebattle the Ori have fought thus far. A bit like the pulse cannon seen in Trinity.
    Pet hypothesis, but at least it helps, somehow, to make more sense about the lack of use of such weapons in later engagements against ships which didn't provide much firepower.
    Last edited by Mister Oragahn; 18 July 2007, 06:58 PM.
    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

I have been thinking the same about the Ori shields and I agree with your theory

Comment

It would make sense.
      It would mean the writers could give us something powerful enough to take down Ori ships, but not be some kind of uberpowerful superweapon that can kill anything.

Comment

I think the weapons would still be effective against other ships but not as powerful as when they are against or sheilds.
        sigpic

Comment

It is certainly a sound theory.
          The only thing that worried me about this new weapon was that it would make us all powerful, but if it is relatively low yield, designed specifically to breach Ori shields, then its problem solved.
          I also like your idea about the secondary weapons being a bleed-off point. It would certainly explain why they have not been used since the Camelot battle.

I`m just waiting for someone to try and pick your theory apart with some warped inaccurate logic - it happens every time a great and seemingly flawless theory like yours is posted.

Can anyone tell me how to give green?

Comment

Press the little scales button above the post.

But yes, I think the theory makes perfect sense.

I don't know if this is a flaw. But would a 'slug' weapon (ie Railgun) eventually penetrate the shields? As they are hitting the shields with tremendous force, but it is essentially just hunks of metal.

But once again, kudo's on the thought.
            Disliked a recent episode?
            Hate the current season Stargate Atlantis or SG1?
            The writers killed off your favourite character?

Well suck it up Cupcake. It is only a Television Show.

Comment

Uhm don't all shields absorb energy from energy weapons and dissipate it away? I was under the impression that was the way they worked..

Or are you talking about feeding that energy back into the shield to strengthen it?

Comment

I think that is a great theory!

But against a ha'tak or other ship with shields they would still be incredibly powerful with the "bleed off" idea in in mind, it woud just destroy their shield strength. So the all powerful thing could still be in play.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor View Post
                  Uhm don't all shields absorb energy from energy weapons and dissipate it away? I was under the impression that was the way they worked..

Or are you talking about feeding that energy back into the shield to strengthen it?
                  The general theory is that when an object hits a shield, be it an energy weapon or rail gun shot(these still have energy), it is dissipated across the shield, thus spreading out the force of the impact.

The theory about the Ori ships is that rather than just dissipating this power across the shield, it is absorbed into the ship and reused, meaning that in theory as long as the ship is under attack the shield should hold indefinitely as the enemy weapons are infact powering it.

@B O Y S C O U T: The all powerful idea could in theory still be applicable, but this theory gives PTB a way out of that, thus keeping us at the level of underdog while giving us a means to destroy the Ori ships.

Comment

If the weapons work in that way they'll do relatively low damage against Wraith ships who rely on size and armour to defend themselves.

That is assuming the Wraith hulls are far stronger than the Ori mothership hulls.
                    Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
                      If the weapons work in that way they'll do relatively low damage against Wraith ships who rely on size and armour to defend themselves.

That is assuming the Wraith hulls are far stronger than the Ori mothership hulls.
                      Considering the Ori probably knew that their shields would be practically inpenetrable by any MW race, I doubt they would've spent too much time reinforcing the hull beyond what is necessary for intergalactic travel.
                      So i`d be willing to bet that the Wraith hulls would be stronger than Ori hulls as that is all they have.

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
                        Considering the Ori probably knew that their shields would be practically inpenetrable by any MW race, I doubt they would've spent too much time reinforcing the hull beyond what is necessary for intergalactic travel.
                        So i`d be willing to bet that the Wraith hulls would be stronger than Ori hulls as that is all they have.
                        I know the Wraith hulls will be stronger but the Asgard beams still cut through the Ori ships hull fast so they'd need to be much stronger which isn't out of the question.
                        Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Given that in the episode in season nine, Beachhead. We know for a fact that the Ori have the technology to create a shield that absorbs enemy fire in order to power it and make it virtually impossible to penetrate. It then stands to reason that they would outfit their ships with these shields. As you said it also makes sense for the new Asgard weapons to take advantage of this fact and somehow overload their shield systems in order to punture them and take out the enemy ship.

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

It wont make us vastly over powered:

No other earth ship has a ZPM. Earth produces about 1 ship a year. So if all the upgrades were made, that may mean 1 earth is equivalent to 1 Ori ship.

The Ori can produces a couple of fleets in a year.

Replicators can produce even more and you would think that their best ships are probably as powerful as the Ori.

The Wraith have huge fleets.

I think those Asgard weapons will go through anything. They are very focused beams of energy, so they will go through shields and armor alike with ease.

SGC will still be the underdogs. Only way they would be superior is if the Asgard gave them all their ships with latest upgrades. The Asgard fleets, but writers made sure it wont happen.

Comment

Originally posted by JSPuddlejumper View Post
                              It wont make us vastly over powered:

No other earth ship has a ZPM. Earth produces about 1 ship a year. So if all the upgrades were made, that may mean 1 earth is equivalent to 1 Ori ship.

The Ori can produces a couple of fleets in a year.

Replicators can produce even more and you would think that their best ships are probably as powerful as the Ori.

The Wraith have huge fleets.

I think those Asgard weapons will go through anything. They are very focused beams of energy, so they will go through shields and armor alike with ease.

SGC will still be the underdogs. Only way they would be superior is if the Asgard gave them all their ships with latest upgrades. The Asgard fleets, but writers made sure it wont happen.
                              I agree with you we produce on average one new ship per year. Plus, every once in a while we manage to get one blown to pieces. I'm also fairly certain that the entire Asgard fleet went up with their home planet. While the Oddy is the most powerful ship we have by far. We have only one zpm for use in a ship. The other ships may get Asgard power generators but they will not be as effective as a zpm.

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

Working...
                              X