PDA

View Full Version : Sam in more than two movies

hazg
July 17th, 2007, 03:59 PM
will carter feature in more than the two Stargate Movies as she is crossing over to Atlantis??
I would also like to know where the two films fit into the stargate timescale as a whole that includes SGA so how long after "Unending" and the two films does sam remain on earth before travelling to pegasus in whatever way she does so to join up with Atlantis

jenks
July 17th, 2007, 05:48 PM
The movies take place before Sam goes to Atlantis.

hazg
July 18th, 2007, 07:53 AM
these may be set before then but will any other films? or will these be the last two SG1 features that Sam is part of.

Nikki
July 18th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Sam's a major part of SG1, so I doubt they'll just write her out after the second movie. So I'm assuming they may only have Carter in SGA for one year, claiming it's a termporary assignment, as that's how long AT's contract lasts. After that she'll probably continue to do the SG1 films and other non-Stargate projects like Sanctuary, etc. :)

petemoretti
July 18th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Sam's a major part of SG1, so I doubt they'll just write her out after the second movie. So I'm assuming they may only have Carter in SGA for one year, claiming it's a termporary assignment, as that's how long AT's contract lasts. After that she'll probably continue to do the SG1 films and other non-Stargate projects like Sancutuary, etc. :)

In a recent interview AT said she'd do a S5 too if offered...
But don't worry Sam will be in any future SG-1 movies. They'll find a creative way to justify her presence in the future movies/absence from Atlantis...

July 18th, 2007, 08:09 AM
most likely they would have an ep of atlantis that explained her presence in the movie, or maybe even do an actual crossover sg-1/atlantis movie.

Daniel Jackson
July 18th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Sam is the Worf of Stargate.

In Star Trek, Worf was a main character on The Next Generation throughout it's run and featured in the TNG movie Generations. After that, he joined the cast of Deep Space Nine for four years, but he continued to appear in TNG movies with two coming out during his time on DS9 and one more after DS9 ended. Of the three movie TNG movies that were made after Worf went to DS9, the first had an excellent reason for Worf returning to the Enterprise. In the second, he just happened to be there. In the third, he has apparantly returned to the Enterprise crew full time between DS9's finale and the movie.

I suspect The Ark of Truth will pickup shortly after SG-1's finale, then Carter will go to Atlantis, and then return temporarily for the events of Continuum. If they make a third movie while she's still at Atlantis, it'll be the same thing... a crisis requires her temporary return while Sheppard has temporary command of Atlantis, or something like that.

jenks
July 18th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Continuum is set before season 4 of Atlantis.

spacecowboy000
July 18th, 2007, 09:55 AM
In a recent interview AT said she'd do a S5 too if offered... In what interview was that?

Steve_the_Wraith
July 18th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Remember two things,

1) Amanda Tapping is in only 14 episodes of season 4 and as base commander she won't be going off world alot. Meaning like Torri Higginson, she'll have alot of free time while the rest of the cast are running around in the woods

2) The Movies are filmed the next soundstage over

The rumor that Carter is only on Atlantis temporarily is due to some people only wanting her to be on the show temporarily

Daniel Jackson
July 18th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Continuum is set before season 4 of Atlantis.
I've seen a picture of Tapping and Shanks taking a break on the set of Continuum in their SG-1 costumes, but Tapping has her longer Atlantis hairstyle. This leads me to conclude that Continuum takes place after she takes over the Atlantis Expedition.

Amanda Tapping is in only 14 episodes of season 4 and as base commander she won't be going off world alot. Meaning like Torri Higginson, she'll have alot of free time while the rest of the cast are running around in the woods

The Movies are filmed the next soundstage over
14 of 20 episodes. She was in 15 of 20 episodes in SG-1's 9th season, yet still creditted as a regular. The six episodes she has off are either to accomodate for filming the SG-1 movies, or the character just doesn't fit into them.

The rumor that Carter is only on Atlantis temporarily is due to some people only wanting her to be on the show temporarily
Tapping signed a contract for Season 11 of SG-1. When SG-1 was cancelled, they used that contract to bring her to Atlantis for one year. Wether she returns for Season 5 is entirely up to her.

petemoretti
July 18th, 2007, 10:39 AM
I've seen a picture of Tapping and Shanks taking a break on the set of Continuum in their SG-1 costumes, but Tapping has her longer Atlantis hairstyle. This leads me to conclude that Continuum takes place after she takes over the Atlantis Expedition.

She has the longer hairstyle in Ark of Truth too! And JM stated that the movies take place before S4! So there from the horse's mouth!

Daniel Jackson
July 18th, 2007, 10:42 AM
She has the longer hairstyle in Ark of Truth too!
I wasn't aware of that. Well, there goes my theory. :p

jenks
July 18th, 2007, 10:56 AM

AT said in an interview that they both take place before she goes to Atlantis.

Starxgate
July 18th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Also keep in mind that she also has Sanctuary. She cant keep doing 3 different mediums forever can she ?

Online Web Series
TV Show
DVD Movies

Thats alot & I would think Amanda would eventually want to calm it down a bit

hazg
July 18th, 2007, 02:38 PM
well if shes making enough money and still wants to do it and MGM still want her to do it then i think Amanda will keep doing them for along time.

Major_Griff
July 18th, 2007, 08:22 PM
For the third movie her presence will be explained as such.

Sam walks into the breifing room. SG-1 and Genral Landry are there.

Mitchell: Carter! What the hell are you doing here!?!

As Carter begins to answer the question Walter walks in.

Walter: General, the Tok'Ra Representitives are here.

*EDIT* 700 posts! wooo!

Daniel Jackson
July 20th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Something just occured to me... if the SG-1 movies are set right after SG-1 Season 10, how is it that Carter has an additional year's worth of hair growth? :confused:

petemoretti
July 20th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Something just occured to me... if the SG-1 movies are set right after SG-1 Season 10, how is it that Carter has an additional year's worth of hair growth? :confused:

She's a freaking genius surely she can come up with an instant hair-growth formula :D:D:D
Or seeing how the Asgard were hairless maybe they've developed an instant hair-growth formula before their untimely demise but they didn't have the time to test it :D:D:D

Daniel Jackson
July 20th, 2007, 02:21 PM
I just can't buy that these movies are set before Atlantis Season 4 based on the length of Carter's hair. They'd have to be set at least six months after SG-1's final episode.

Rudy Pena
July 20th, 2007, 03:26 PM
I just can't buy that these movies are set before Atlantis Season 4 based on the length of Carter's hair. They'd have to be set at least six months after SG-1's final episode.There have been many times Carter hair changed, either shorter or longer and the time span was only a few days to weeks.

Daniel Jackson
July 20th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Whenever Carter's hair length changed, it was because she got a haircut or slowly grew it out over the coarse of the season or the time between seasons assuming the season premiere did not pick up immediately after the previous season finale. I think the most dramatic change was at the start of Season 4 after she'd be stuck off world with O'Neill and Teal'c for several weeks.

In the case of the SG-1 movies, we're not talking a few weeks' growth of hair. We're talking several months' growth of hair. I'm sorry, but you don't grow six inches of hair in a few weeks. It takes about a year to grow hair that long.

Perhaps SG-1 get stuck in another time dialation for a year at some point? That'd explain how Carter's hair got so long so fast.

Rudy Pena
July 20th, 2007, 03:42 PM
You know Carter could have got extensions, she is after all a female.

Nikki
July 20th, 2007, 04:24 PM
You know Carter could have got extensions, she is after all a female.

But I don't think that'd be too practical in the field. And we know Carter's a stickler for regs and not wanting to feel like the 'girl in the group', so it'd be pretty out of character. I agree with Daniel Jackson, I'm really interested to know how they're going to explain the extra length. :S

Also, sticking with the hair theme. Being a part of the military/AF Carter's not allowed to have hair that long, so what's changed all of a sudden? Could she possibly have retired completely or just quit the AF and be working as a scientist after the season 10 finale? And then be on the team as a civilian? Then when they need her in Atlantis, she's called back into active duty?

Wow, loads of questions! Anyone have loads of answers? :o

Daniel Jackson
July 20th, 2007, 05:55 PM
It's possible that Carter retires from the Air Force yet stays in the Stargate Program. Maybe she'll be the new civilian leader of Atlantis? Who knows. Regardless of what anyone says, I'm expecting the chronology to be SG-1 finale, The Ark of Truth, Carter goes to Atlantis, and then Carter returns to the SGC (temporarily) for Continuum, heading back to Atlantis afterwards.

The producers and writers have a nack for saying something will happen one way, then it happens another. Remember talk of the third Aschen episode, the return of Daniel's grandfather, the DVD movie set during SG-1 Season 2, "Lost City" being a feature film, Atlantis being set in Antarctica, a Tok'ra being a main character on Atlantis, and so forth? ;)

Rudy Pena
July 20th, 2007, 05:58 PM
It's possible that Carter retires from the Air Force yet stays in the Stargate Program. Maybe she'll be the new civilian leader of Atlantis? Who knows. Regardless of what anyone says, I'm expecting the chronology to be SG-1 finale, The Ark of Truth, Carter goes to Atlantis, and then Carter returns to the SGC (temporarily) for Continuum, heading back to Atlantis afterwards.
Carter cant be a civlian because in the treasers she tells Col. Shepphard that he is releaved. And the last time I check only the US President can give orders to military people.

Nikki
July 20th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Carter cant be a civlian because in the treasers she tells Col. Shepphard that he is releaved. And the last time I check only the US President can give orders to military people.

And TPTB have already revealed that she's promoted to Colonel when she comes to Atlantis. That's why I suggested that she quit the AF, stayed on as a scientist and was called back to active duty to head Atlantis, as a possible theory. Not really much else I can think of. :S

Rudy Pena
July 20th, 2007, 06:04 PM
And TPTB have already revealed that she's promoted to Colonel when she comes to Atlantis. That's why I suggested that she quit the AF, stayed on as a scientist and was call cack to active duty to head Atlantis, as a possible theory. Not really much else I can think of. :SWhy would she just quit? It would take serveal weeks to get her papers through so she can "quit".

Nikki
July 20th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Why would she just quit? It would take serveal weeks to get her papers through so she can "quit".

Well, I don't know how it would benefit SG1 in anyway but the Sam/Jack arc has been canon in the show and that could, I stress could I'm not saying it is but could be the reason. And I say this not because I'm a shipper but because they have kept it strong in both the seasons with no RDA by dropping hints and there's a pic of Sam/Jack together on Sam's desk in Atlantis, along with a seperate pic of just Daniel and one of just Cassie (and maybe one of Teal'c but I'm not sure). So that could be the reason, but as I said its just speculation that fits with the hair and Atlantis.

I'm willing to hear other theories because I doubt TPTB when it comes to any sort of ship.

Rudy Pena
July 20th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Well, I don't know how it would benefit SG1 in anyway but the Sam/Jack arc has been canon in the show and that could, I stress could I'm not saying it is but could be the reason. And I say this not because I'm a shipper but because they have kept it strong in both the seasons with no RDA by dropping hints and there's a pic of Sam/Jack together on Sam's desk in Atlantis, along with a seperate pic of just Daniel and one of just Cassie (and maybe one of Teal'c but I'm not sure). So that could be the reason, but as I said its just speculation that fits with the hair and Atlantis.

I'm willing to hear other theories because I doubt TPTB when it comes to any sort of ship.
HOw do you know about the pics, it has not aired yet.

Nikki
July 20th, 2007, 06:26 PM
HOw do you know about the pics, it has not aired yet.

http://bp0.blogger.com/_bu0vVgPPyEs/RmYwyLNwKFI/AAAAAAAADks/ioyJO82eyPw/s1600-h/DSC05579.JPG

If you scroll to the right. It's the pic of them fishing in threads. But this could just be friendshippy rather than relationshippy, however, 'fishing' has been a long running shippy term for Sam/Jack ship, so you never know. That's why I asked if anyone had any other theories. :S

Nikki
July 20th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Well, it was pointed out to me by someone just now that you're allowed to have long hair while serving in the AF, as long as you can tie it back. So she probably doesn't quit the AF. :rolleyes: I just wonder why she decided to grow it out after 10 years? And obviously how it grew that long (which started all this off)?

Rudy Pena
July 20th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Well, it was pointed out to me by someone just now that you're allowed to have long hair while serving in the AF, as long as you can tie it back. So she probably doesn't quit the AF. :rolleyes: I just wonder why she decided to grow it out after 10 years? And obviously how it grew that long (which started all this off)?
Its about time you get it.

Nikki
July 20th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Its about time you get it.

I'm sorry, where in the discussion did you clear up that Sam could have long hair and still be in the AF?

Rudy Pena
July 20th, 2007, 06:45 PM
I'm sorry, where in the discussion did you clear up that Sam could have long hair and still be in the AF?
I never said it because it is widely known that US Air Force people could have long hair.

Nikki
July 20th, 2007, 06:46 PM
I never said it because it is widely known that US Air Force people could have long hair.

Then why didn't you correct me earlier? :S Before we had the whole S/J discussion.

Rudy Pena
July 20th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Then why didn't you correct me earlier? :S Before we had the whole S/J discussion.Because it is fun to have a debate sometimes.

Nikki
July 20th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Because it is fun to have a debate sometimes.

:lol: And I don't think Daniel Jackson knew either because he agreed it could be possible that she retire.

Rudy Pena
July 20th, 2007, 06:50 PM
:lol: And I don't think Daniel Jackson knew either because he agreed it could be possible that she retire.lol

petemoretti
July 20th, 2007, 08:07 PM
I just can't buy that these movies are set before Atlantis Season 4 based on the length of Carter's hair. They'd have to be set at least six months after SG-1's final episode.

You don't have to buy it! If TPTB say it's so then it's so! Maybe between S10 and Ark of Truth Sam works with Asgard database for a couple of months...

Rudy Pena
July 20th, 2007, 08:10 PM
You don't have to buy it! If TPTB say it's so then it's so! Maybe between S10 and Ark of Truth Sam works with Asgard database for a couple of months...He does not mean not buy the DVDs, he mean like I dont buy what you are telling me. Buy in this case is different.

petemoretti
July 20th, 2007, 08:15 PM
He does not mean not buy the DVDs, he mean like I dont buy what you are telling me. Buy in this case is different.

Yeah I got it the first time, I'm just saying if TPTB want something then that something becomes canon whether or not we "buy it"

Rudy Pena
July 20th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Yeah I got it the first time, I'm just saying if TPTB want something then that something becomes canon whether or not we "buy it"
lol, oh ok

Daniel Jackson
July 20th, 2007, 08:37 PM
So Carter can grow a year's worth of hair over night, and we're just suppose to accept it? OK, let's have Teal'c's forehead tattoo dissapear without explanation. Oh, and let's put O'Neill back in charge of the SGC with Landry gone without explanation. Afterall, we should just accept it, right?

petemoretti
July 20th, 2007, 09:09 PM
So Carter can grow a year's worth of hair over night, and we're just suppose to accept it? OK, let's have Teal'c's forehead tattoo dissapear without explanation. Oh, and let's put O'Neill back in charge of the SGC with Landry gone without explanation. Afterall, we should just accept it, right?

Yes, like we accepted a rookie in command of SG-1, a thief joining the team, Jack moving to DC, Sam moving to Area 51, Sam and Jack not getting together after "Threads", Cam and Lam serving together, a.s.o.

PG15
July 20th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Geez guys, why don't you just wait a while? Who knows, maybe she spent some time in a time dilation field to work out a new technology or something that would otherwise take months to complete?

Rudy Pena
July 20th, 2007, 09:48 PM
So Carter can grow a year's worth of hair over night, and we're just suppose to accept it? OK, let's have Teal'c's forehead tattoo dissapear without explanation. Oh, and let's put O'Neill back in charge of the SGC with Landry gone without explanation. Afterall, we should just accept it, right?First of all that wouldn't happen over night maybe a few weeks and second of all a year's worth of hair growing would mean that her hair would be down past her butt.

Do you even know anything about woman Daniel Jackson?

Daniel Jackson
July 21st, 2007, 09:13 AM
Yes, like we accepted a rookie in command of SG-1, a thief joining the team, Jack moving to DC, Sam moving to Area 51, Sam and Jack not getting together after "Threads", Cam and Lam serving together, a.s.o.
I was always annoyed with the new guy serving as team leader. Had he even been through the Stargate before Season 9? :rolleyes: As for a thief joining the team... it was necessary for Vala to join SG-1 to help fight the Ori since her daughter was the leader of the Ori army. Jack moving to DC, Sam moving to Area 51, and so forth... how does any of that fit into this? Those are realistic events. As for for Jack and Sam not getting together after "Threads," there's no evidence of that. It's been hinted that they have a long distance relationship, though not confirmed.

Geez guys, why don't you just wait a while? Who knows, maybe she spent some time in a time dilation field to work out a new technology or something that would otherwise take months to complete?
Works for me! :D

a year's worth of hair growing would mean that her hair would be down past her butt. Do you even know anything about woman Daniel Jackson?
Yes, I do. Do you? A woman's hair does not grow down past her butt in one year. I have two sister's, and I've read a lot on the rate of hair growth. You grow roughly six inches of hair per year regardless of race and gender. I've compared shots of Carter's hair in "Unending" and in the behind-the-scenes photos from the movies. It would have taken at least one year for her to grow her hair that far out.

I like PG-15's explanation that Carter spent a year inside a time dialation field to develope a new technological marvel. :)

Rudy Pena
July 21st, 2007, 10:18 AM
I

Yes, I do. Do you? A woman's hair does not grow down past her butt in one year. I have two sister's, and I've read a lot on the rate of hair growth. You grow roughly six inches of hair per year regardless of race and gender. I've compared shots of Carter's hair in "Unending" and in the behind-the-scenes photos from the movies. It would have taken at least one year for her to grow her hair that far out.Yes I do, I got three sisters.
You sure about that because I cut my hair every few months because I hair grows long (about 2 inches) and so 2 ins. of hair grown every 1.5 months times 12=about 1.5 feet a year. And so this book you claim it says 6 is. a year is way outdated proably made in the 1800s.

ShardsofGlass
July 21st, 2007, 12:22 PM
You know, I just want to say on thing and not get in a debate about it, but when people describe Mitchell as the new guy or a rookie, it sounds like he's 22 and fresh out of college. But the truth is, Mitchell is a lt. col., which means he has a wealth of experience under his belt in all kinds of situations. You don't get to be a lt. col. without a lot of experience, and without doing a good job at your job.

You know, when I start a new job, I may not know everything about it, but I come into it with 20 years of experience, and that counts for something. It counts for a lot, in fact. My learning curve is a million times shorter than someone without any experience. The same is true with Mitchell.

There, that's all i wanted to say.

Daniel Jackson
July 21st, 2007, 05:19 PM
Yes I do, I got three sisters.
You sure about that because I cut my hair every few months because I hair grows long (about 2 inches) and so 2 ins. of hair grown every 1.5 months times 12=about 1.5 feet a year. And so this book you claim it says 6 is. a year is way outdated proably made in the 1800s.
LINK (http://www.howstuffworks.com/question251.htm)

I've gone to numerous sites, and they all say the same, that hair grows six inches per year. Now, if you are saying your hair grows 18 inches a year? Wow, that's fast. You should document it, it would make for a neat slideshow. :)

You know, I just want to say on thing and not get in a debate about it, but when people describe Mitchell as the new guy or a rookie, it sounds like he's 22 and fresh out of college. But the truth is, Mitchell is a lt. col., which means he has a wealth of experience under his belt in all kinds of situations. You don't get to be a lt. col. without a lot of experience, and without doing a good job at your job.
Cameron Mitchell may be an experience Air Force officer, a fighter pilot, and a Lt. Col. However, none of that has anything to do with going through the Stargate and dealing with aliens. He would be a fine candidate as a member of SG-1, but he's just too inexperienced to lead the team.

You know, when I start a new job, I may not know everything about it, but I come into it with 20 years of experience, and that counts for something. It counts for a lot, in fact. My learning curve is a million times shorter than someone without any experience. The same is true with Mitchell.
The thing is, Mitchell didn't have any experience going on Stargate missions. "200" supports this, since it features his 200th trip through the Stargate.

majorsal
July 21st, 2007, 05:28 PM
As for for Jack and Sam not getting together after "Threads," there's no evidence of that. It's been hinted that they have a long distance relationship, though not confirmed.

:D

I like PG-15's explanation that Carter spent a year inside a time dialation field to develope a new technological marvel. :)

maybe sam got hair extensions. :p

we could ask joe. he would ignore the question, of course, but we could ask! :p

sally :D

ShardsofGlass
July 22nd, 2007, 05:23 AM
Cameron Mitchell may be an experience Air Force officer, a fighter pilot, and a Lt. Col. However, none of that has anything to do with going through the Stargate and dealing with aliens. He would be a fine candidate as a member of SG-1, but he's just too inexperienced to lead the team.

The thing is, Mitchell didn't have any experience going on Stargate missions. "200" supports this, since it features his 200th trip through the Stargate.

See, the main difference in our opinions is that I don't think it matters that he didn't have gate experience. In real life, there are millions of situations where a person takes on a new job without specific experience in it, yet brings to the table all the experience they have with their other jobs. And that's where Mitchell is. So, I have no problem with him not having gate experience. Obviously you do, and that's fine. BUt I just want it known that other people, at least me, don't have a problem with that.

Nikki
July 22nd, 2007, 09:04 AM
See, the main difference in our opinions is that I don't think it matters that he didn't have gate experience. In real life, there are millions of situations where a person takes on a new job without specific experience in it, yet brings to the table all the experience they have with their other jobs. And that's where Mitchell is. So, I have no problem with him not having gate experience. Obviously you do, and that's fine. BUt I just want it known that other people, at least me, don't have a problem with that.

Actually, I think a lot more people have a problem with it than don't. I like the Mitchell character and think he's a good soldier. I used to hate his reckless, careless, self-centred behaviour, but I have to say TPTB did sort that out most of season 10 and he stopped doing things that would endanger the team.

That being said he had no experience going on missions through the gate, let alone leading the flagship team through the gate. I'm just glad TPTB cleared up that Carter/Mitchell had joint command early on. Just think about all the emphasis TPTB have put into telling and reinforcing to us the level of skill and training you need to be a part of the SGC. Proving Ground and Prodigy were all about that as well showing the selection process for the Atlantis mission and showing us time and time again that SG1 comprised of Jack, Sam and Daniel (from earth) were the very best you could get in each of their respective fields (military, science and linguistics/history).

Bringing in Mitchell for his heroics in Antarctica and giving him any job for actually just doing his job, what he was trained to do, seemed to throw continuity out of the window and seemed unrealistic for a large proportion of the fans. It would have been great to have introduced Mitchell as a Major and have him learn/train under Carter continuing to show that you don't just get what you want for saving the lives of a few important people and risking your own life, as you're not supposed get rewarded for doing what you should be doing. The reward is in knowing you've done your job, saved another’s life and is credited by moving up the military ranks.

ReganX
July 22nd, 2007, 04:27 PM
Actually, I think a lot more people have a problem with it than don't. I like the Mitchell character and think he's a good soldier. I used to hate his reckless, careless, self-centred behaviour, but I have to say TPTB did sort that out most of season 10 and he stopped doing things that would endanger the team.

That being said he had no experience going on missions through the gate, let alone leading the flagship team through the gate. I'm just glad TPTB cleared up that Carter/Mitchell had joint command early on. Just think about all the emphasis TPTB have put into telling and reinforcing to us the level of skill and training you need to be a part of the SGC. Proving Ground and Prodigy were all about that as well showing the selection process for the Atlantis mission and showing us time and time again that SG1 comprised of Jack, Sam and Daniel (from earth) were the very best you could get in each of their respective fields (military, science and linguistics/history).

Bringing in Mitchell for his heroics in Antarctica and giving him any job for actually just doing his job, what he was trained to do, seemed to throw continuity out of the window and seemed unrealistic for a large proportion of the fans. It would have been great to have introduced Mitchell as a Major and have him learn/train under Carter continuing to show that you don't just get what you want for saving the lives of a few important people and risking your own life, as you're not supposed get rewarded for doing what you should be doing. The reward is in knowing you've done your job, saved another’s life and is credited by moving up the military ranks.

Some very good points here. I agree that Mitchell has improved a bit in Season Ten - I was surprised by how much better he was in "Line In The Sand" but first impressions are vital and the background given for Mitchell was illogical at best.

A weak foundation does not translate into good news for the rest of the building, no matter how well built it is.

As far as future movies are concerned, should there be a third movie or more, I imagine that Sam will be a part of it. Since they're going direct to DVD, it would be a bad idea to eliminate any fan group as potential buyers.

Beckmen
July 23rd, 2007, 05:14 AM
Where are these pics from the set?

prion
July 23rd, 2007, 05:19 AM
It would not surprise me in the least to see carter in every single stargate spinoff they do, even if it's just one episode. Yes, she'll be in stargate universe. betcha she will. Even if for five minutes ;)

Oh, and the movies that take place before Carter goes to Atlantis - air after Atlantis is probably done airing season 4....

Beckmen
July 23rd, 2007, 05:24 AM
Well, bringing Carter in is an easy thing to write, IMO. "Welcome, Colonel. We had to call you away because we needed your expertise in this matter.". Easier than Worf, even.

talyn2k1
July 23rd, 2007, 09:36 AM

The producers and writers have a nack for saying something will happen one way, then it happens another. Remember talk of the third Aschen episode, the return of Daniel's grandfather, the DVD movie set during SG-1 Season 2, "Lost City" being a feature film, Atlantis being set in Antarctica, a Tok'ra being a main character on Atlantis, and so forth? ;)

You shouldn't mistake altered plans for deceit DanielJackson (felt a bit like Teal'c for a moment then :D ).

Third Aschen episode & return of Daniel's grandfather - They were axed unexpectedly. As seasons are fleshed out some episodes are put back until they can be fit into another season. Fragile Balance was originally slated for S4 but didn't get made until S7! These episodes were probably planned to happen at some point but were put back until the axing and there was no way to make them.

DVD movie set during S2 - I never heard this one so I don`t know at what stage of the movies' development this statement may have been made but its possible that, if this wasn't just a rumor, this was one of the story ideas that was being bounced around until they decided on the plots for the two movies.

"Lost City" being a feature film, Atlantis being set in Antarctica. - This was actually the original plan. When they thought they would get axed at the end of S6/7, they planned Lost City to be a movie which would set up Atlantis. But when they were renewed, Lost City became the S7 finale, and Atlantis was relocated to Pegasus so the two shows could exist side-by-side.

Tok'ra being a main character on Atlantis - Again, not familiar with this one. But it may have just been a rumor, an early idea that was being played around with, or this one may have just been them playing with us.

I`m not saying PTB never play with us, but providing actual examples of deceit would give your argument alot more weight.

My personal opinion is that, as has been stated by AT herself, that the 2 SG-1 movies will be set between Unending and beginning of S4. And personally, I couldn't care less if her hair growth is realistic. Long as they keep the science believable, the characters cool and consistent, and FX plentiful, I`m happy.

Rudy Pena
July 23rd, 2007, 10:01 AM
My personal opinion is that, as has been stated by AT herself, that the 2 SG-1 movies will be set between Unending and beginning of S4. And personally, I couldn't care less if her hair growth is realistic. Long as they keep the science believable, the characters cool and consistent, and FX plentiful, I`m happy.Same here.

Daniel Jackson
July 23rd, 2007, 10:55 AM
I couldn't care less if her hair growth is realistic. Long as they keep the science believable, the characters cool and consistent, and FX plentiful, I`m happy.
If they're going to make such an obvious blunder with a hair style, what makes you think they're going to do any better on the more complicated stuff like science, costumes, continuity, and special effects? :confused:

jenks
July 23rd, 2007, 11:11 AM
Next to no one cares about her hair. Are we even sure that the movies is set directly after 'Unending'? Considering they were off on a mission last time we say them, I find it unlikely.

talyn2k1
July 23rd, 2007, 01:27 PM
Next to no one cares about her hair. Are we even sure that the movies is set directly after 'Unending'? Considering they were off on a mission last time we say them, I find it unlikely.

We know that the sequence of events goes Unending > Ark of Truth > Continuum > Atlantis S4.
What we don't know is how much space is between Unending and AoT or how much total time elapses between Unending and Atlantis S4. As of yet there are no time scales so people having a go about her hair is imho unjustified at the moment until we know the timescales.
If once AoT airs only one week has passed between then and Unending, then all the anti-Carter's new hairdo people can go to town on it, but I just don't think its necessary yet.

I`m much more interested in what actually happens in the movies and Atlantis S4 than Carter's hairdo!

I don't recall this much complaining when S4 premiered and Carter's hair had grown alot in a couple of weeks. Personally, I think thats a sign of how fandom has changed. It is so much more negative now than it has been in the past, imho the real turning point where so much negativity seemed to appear in fandom is when we found out RDA was leaving. Since then the negative fans almost outnumber the positive ones (or maybe they're just louder!). I`m not saying RDA's departure is the reason for the negativity, but it seems to me that they both happened at about the same time.

Okay, I`ve gone majorly off topic here. And please, no one take my comments personally. It is just my opinion and is not stating of fact.

petemoretti
July 23rd, 2007, 01:30 PM
We know that the sequence of events goes Unending > Ark of Truth > Continuum > Atlantis S4.
What we don't know is how much space is between Unending and AoT or how much total time elapses between Unending and Atlantis S4. As of yet there are no time scales so people having a go about her hair is imho unjustified at the moment until we know the timescales.
If once AoT airs only one week has passed between then and Unending, then all the anti-Carter's new hairdo people can go to town on it, but I just don't think its necessary yet.

I`m much more interested in what actually happens in the movies and Atlantis S4 than Carter's hairdo!

I don't recall this much complaining when S4 premiered and Carter's hair had grown alot in a couple of weeks. Personally, I think thats a sign of how fandom has changed. It is so much more negative now than it has been in the past, imho the real turning point where so much negativity seemed to appear in fandom is when we found out RDA was leaving. Since then the negative fans almost outnumber the positive ones (or maybe they're just louder!). I`m not saying RDA's departure is the reason for the negativity, but it seems to me that they both happened at about the same time.

Okay, I`ve gone majorly off topic here. And please, no one take my comments personally. It is just my opinion and is not stating of fact.

Well, maybe the new show tends to bring out the worst in us...

Beckmen
July 23rd, 2007, 01:36 PM
Unless I see otherwise, I am going to go ahead and assume 'unspecified amount of time' has passed between Unending and AOT.

If that proves to be false....uhhh....the Stargate one day decided to re-integrate Carter with more hair....yeah....that's the ticket.

talyn2k1
July 24th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Unless I see otherwise, I am going to go ahead and assume 'unspecified amount of time' has passed between Unending and AOT.

If that proves to be false....uhhh....the Stargate one day decided to re-integrate Carter with more hair....yeah....that's the ticket.

Finally, a feasible solution!!!

Now can we all just let it go! :D

spacecowboy000
July 25th, 2007, 08:54 AM

I agree and believe it is more than assumption. The events of both AOT and Continuum both occur before "First Strike" because Carter will make her first appearance in "Adrift" and Rodney talks about the Asgard in the past tense when talking about the PWARW (Planet Wide Anti Replicator Weapon). So that creates the real potential for the 'unspecified amount of time' Beckmen is talking about.

sg-1fanintn
July 31st, 2007, 07:31 PM
If they're going to make such an obvious blunder with a hair style, what makes you think they're going to do any better on the more complicated stuff like science, costumes, continuity, and special effects? :confused:

Maybe Carter is wearing hair extensions. AT did for awhile as hers was growing out. But don't get hung up on the small stuff. It'll just drive you crazy. :) :S :) After all, the show isn't about hair. ;)

There you go...plausible deniability!

What bothered me more from a logical standpoint was how in Ripple Effect all those SG-1s came through the gate, and Jack O'Neill wasn't on a single one of them. The probabilities of his absence from every single team are impossible.

There's really no explaining that. So, do what I try to do: suspend disbelief, try to enjoy the ride...and pray they don't make your favorite characters do things you KNOW they would never do. Or that your fave characters haven't done things you KNOW they would do. ;)

Just sayin'.

PG15
July 31st, 2007, 07:39 PM
Technically, since there are an infinite amount of realities, some 30 realities without Jack on the team is perfectly logical.

the dancer of spaz
August 1st, 2007, 08:16 AM

I think a long time is supposed to have passed between Unending and the movies. And, if you think about when Unending should have aired in comparison to when it did, it's not that unreasonable for her to have short hair (early 2007 - Unending airs) and long hair (late 2007/early 2008 - AoT release).

Especially if SG-1 isn't officially together - which I suspect they aren't by the time AoT rolls around. In fact, it would make sense, for both Atlantis and the SG-1 movies, if the SGC isn't functioning at the same level it once was, and if SG-1 bands together for both movies to handle the serious situatios.

ccdsah
August 1st, 2007, 10:21 AM
I think a long time is supposed to have passed between Unending and the movies. And, if you think about when Unending should have aired in comparison to when it did, it's not that unreasonable for her to have short hair (early 2007 - Unending airs) and long hair (late 2007/early 2008 - AoT release).

Especially if SG-1 isn't officially together - which I suspect they aren't by the time AoT rolls around. In fact, it would make sense, for both Atlantis and the SG-1 movies, if the SGC isn't functioning at the same level it once was, and if SG-1 bands together for both movies to handle the serious situatios.

from what I gather Sg-1 disbands only after Continuum. Both movies are prior-Atlantis S4. The release date of the movies has no importance with regard of when they take place in SG universe.

the dancer of spaz
August 1st, 2007, 10:25 AM
from what I gather Sg-1 disbands only after Continuum. Both movies are prior-Atlantis S4. The release date of the movies has no importance with regard of when they take place in SG universe.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. However, just because the films are pre-S4, doesn't necessarily mean they take place merely a few weeks - or even months - after the events from Unending. It could be much longer than that. At least six months, right? I wouldn't rule it out completely.

More important than the hair issue is the chain of command on SG-1. Will Carter and Mitchell be promoted at the same time? I'd be interested to see how that works out.

Beckmen
August 1st, 2007, 10:36 AM
IMO Mitchell should have been promoted before. They should have made him Full Bird when he took command of SG-1.

jenks
August 1st, 2007, 11:53 AM
I really hope that they both get promoted, I really don't want to see Carter as leader of SG-1 again...

flynn1959
August 1st, 2007, 12:45 PM
Sam in more than two movies? Oh God! Let's hope not!!!!!:eek::eek:

Nikki
August 1st, 2007, 01:21 PM
I'm so glad that Carter's getting promoted, she definitely deserves it. I really hope that Mitchell doesn't get promoted along with her (and I'm pretty sure he won't) as I've always felt that SG1 needed/needs a proper chain of command like they had for the first 8 years. Granted, this could also be achieved by Mitchell being promoted instead of Carter but that would just be wrong as Mitchell's ok but Carter's a much better soldier and leader, IMO. :)

the dancer of spaz
August 1st, 2007, 01:26 PM
I'm so glad that Carter's getting promoted, she definitely deserves it. I really hope that Mitchell doesn't get promoted along with her (and I'm pretty sure he won't) as I've always felt that SG1 needed/needs a proper chain of command like they had for the first 8 years. Granted, this could also be achieved by Mitchell being promoted instead of Carter but that would just be wrong as Carter's a much better soldier and leader, IMO. :)

Considering Carter, like Daniel, Teal'c and Jack, is an original main character from Stargate SG-1, I think we'll probably see her in other movies, should MGM decide to go the Bond route and do more beyond Continuum.

I would be very surprised if Mitchell isn't promoted along with Carter by the beginning of AoT. They've pretty much been equals for two years, and I really don't see Cooper & Co. choosing one over the other at this point. In for a penny, and all that jazz... :)

SG-1's chain of command became the heaving, sweating elephant in the room. But Atlantis is only hers. And I'm OK with that. :)

flynn1959
August 1st, 2007, 01:42 PM
I'm so glad that Carter's getting promoted, she definitely deserves it. I really hope that Mitchell doesn't get promoted along with her (and I'm pretty sure he won't) as I've always felt that SG1 needed/needs a proper chain of command like they had for the first 8 years. Granted, this could also be achieved by Mitchell being promoted instead of Carter but that would just be wrong as Mitchell's ok but Carter's a much better soldier and leader, IMO. :)

That is so funny! Carter couldn't lead the team out of a wet paper bag! Mitchell is the leader of SG1, if not him then Daniel, or Teal'c or Vala, or Elmo, anyone but Crapter!!!!!!

the dancer of spaz
August 1st, 2007, 01:45 PM
If there's an Atlantis movie after S4 or S5, maybe Carter will be in it. :sam::sheppard::ronan::teyla::mckay::zelenka:

ann_sgcfan
August 1st, 2007, 01:49 PM
Considering Carter, like Daniel, Teal'c and Jack, is an original main character from Stargate SG-1, I think we'll probably see her in other movies, should MGM decide to go the Bond route and do more beyond Continuum.

I would be very surprised if Mitchell isn't promoted along with Carter by the beginning of AoT. They've pretty much been equals for two years, and I really don't see Cooper & Co. choosing one over the other at this point. In for a penny, and all that jazz... :)

SG-1's chain of command became the heaving, sweating elephant in the room. But Atlantis is only hers. And I'm OK with that. :)

yeah I agree... I have a feeling they will promote Mitchell along with Carter. That way they both remain co-leaders of SG-1... I don't think they will ever resolve that issue. And Certainly if there are more movies for SG-1 Carter would be there. She was mentioned in the original movie and part of the franchise for 10 years. I can't imagine future movies without any of the the main cast... which includes Carter!

flynn1959
August 1st, 2007, 02:36 PM
If there's an Atlantis movie after S4 or S5, maybe Carter will be in it. :sam::sheppard::ronan::teyla::mckay::zelenka:

Oh god, let's hope not!!

jenks
August 1st, 2007, 03:43 PM
yeah I agree... I have a feeling they will promote Mitchell along with Carter. That way they both remain co-leaders of SG-1... I don't think they will ever resolve that issue. And Certainly if there are more movies for SG-1 Carter would be there. She was mentioned in the original movie and part of the franchise for 10 years. I can't imagine future movies without any of the the main cast... which includes Carter!

There is no issue, Mitchell is the leader, there is no co-leadership.

Nikki
August 1st, 2007, 04:15 PM
There is no issue, Mitchell is the leader, there is no co-leadership.

It's been said in the show and by TPTB that Carter and Mitchell co-lead SG1. He can't give her orders anymore than she can.

jenks
August 1st, 2007, 04:20 PM
Source? I've never heard any mention of a co leadership in the show...

ann_sgcfan
August 1st, 2007, 05:30 PM
Source? I've never heard any mention of a co leadership in the show...

Mitchell tells Landry in the hall at the SGC... That he and Sam are the same rank, Teal'c is an alien, Jackson is a doctor so there is no one giving order or to give orders too... something along those lines... I'll watch it again and let you know what he said exactly. But from what I gather they are the same rank so neither will tell the other what to do. This isn't the leadership thread and I certainly don't want to start that up again... I only meant that the same relationship in the show will carry over into the movie...

I just watched part of my DVD's last night.. Sorry I can't remember which episode he said that in....that's what I get for watching a couple of them in one night. It may be Insiders and I know it was brought up during Counterstrike with Landry and Cam at Jack's cabin...

ccdsah
August 1st, 2007, 08:53 PM
It's been said in the show and by TPTB that Carter and Mitchell co-lead SG1. He can't give her orders anymore than she can.

Mitchell tells Landry in the hall at the SGC... That he and Sam are the same rank, Teal'c is an alien, Jackson is a doctor so there is no one giving order or to give orders too... something along those lines... I'll watch it again and let you know what he said exactly. But from what I gather they are the same rank so neither will tell the other what to do. This isn't the leadership thread and I certainly don't want to start that up again... I only meant that the same relationship in the show will carry over into the movie...

I just watched part of my DVD's last night.. Sorry I can't remember which episode he said that in....that's what I get for watching a couple of them in one night. It may be Insiders and I know it was brought up during Counterstrike with Landry and Cam at Jack's cabin...

Mitchell isn't the leader of SG-1 de jure, but he sure acts like he's the leader of Sg-1 de facto...

flynn1959
August 2nd, 2007, 07:29 AM
I really think that if there are more than two movies Sam will not be in them. If Atlantis continues for a fifth season no doubt she will stay there and if there is any form of resolution to the supposed J/S ship stuff then she will no doubt be retired or maybe a civillian. I think the characters arc will be well and truly over.

Carter must be coming up to retirement age by now, from the front line. Maybe if she is in any future movies there may be a brief scene or two of her in a lab somewhere. Time to leave the running around and action stuff to the youngsters! It was getting pretty silly showing a man of Jack's age still out in the field by season seven, and they made the right choice to put him behind a desk. I can see them doing something similar with Carter, I guess they already have by giving her Weir's old job, come to think of it.

the dancer of spaz
August 2nd, 2007, 07:36 AM
I really think that if there are more than two movies Sam will not be in them. If Atlantis continues for a fifth season no doubt she will stay there and if there is any form of resolution to the supposed J/S ship stuff then she will no doubt be retired or maybe a civillian. I think the characters arc will be well and truly over.

Carter must be coming up to retirement age by now, from the front line. Maybe if she is in any future movies there may be a brief scene or two of her in a lab somewhere. Time to leave the running around and action stuff to the youngsters! It was getting pretty silly showing a man of Jack's age still out in the field by season seven, and they made the right choice to put him behind a desk. I can see them doing something similar with Carter, I guess they already have by giving her Weir's old job, come to think of it.

You're right. Carter's too old for SG-1.

;)

As for arcs ending... Well, it looks like they're somewhat closing the Ori storyline in The AoT. If Daniel, Vala and Sam's arcs are over, then the movies will probably give them all a chance to tackle something new. Hopefully it's a more tangible villain this time.

flynn1959
August 2nd, 2007, 07:52 AM
You're right. Carter's too old for SG-1.

;)

As for arcs ending... Well, it looks like they're somewhat closing the Ori storyline in The AoT. If Daniel, Vala and Sam's arcs are over, then the movies will probably give them all a chance to tackle something new. Hopefully it's a more tangible villain this time.

I don't know I quite like the Ori, I find them very sinister. After all they have gone the false god route, the parasite route, the evil humanoid route, and the robot route I'm not sure what there is left to explore when it comes to villians.

Now they could leave Carter as head of Atlantis and send Daniel,Teal'c, Mitchell and Vala out into the universe exploring. You don't always need a big bad enemy to make a good movie. :)

If you have interesting characters, played by exceptional actors, people will watch. And they have that in spades with that quartet!

Skydiver
August 2nd, 2007, 09:48 AM
Keep your personal snark fests and bicker fests out of the thread. It's off topic.

Anyone sees anymore OT posts, please report them

Beckmen
August 2nd, 2007, 10:16 AM
I don't see why Carter WOULDN'T be in subsequent SG-1 movies. She's not too old (she's the youngest original SG-1 member, probably the youngest current one, too), getting her away from Atlantis for a mission isn't too far fetched, etc.

flynn1959
August 2nd, 2007, 11:52 AM
I don't see why Carter WOULDN'T be in subsequent SG-1 movies. She's not too old (she's the youngest original SG-1 member, probably the youngest current one, too), getting her away from Atlantis for a mission isn't too far fetched, etc.

No, Daniel is the youngest and given how young Vala's father was I'm guessing Vala is younger than Carter too.

I know her age has been hotly debated many, many, many times and I don't want to get into that again, but given her history and service record she has got to be nearing fifty now.

It is unrealistic to show someone of her age and seniority on the front line, just as it was with Jack when he passed the fifty mark a few years ago.

If she is in the movies, which I doubt given her role on Atlantis, I am sure it would need to be from behind a desk. I'm sure it is a moot point anyway as both CJ and MS seem to be moving on, they have Rage Of Angels and even AT has the internet show (I forget it's name) about Jack the ripper. I don't think they would be available if more movies do come along.

ccdsah
August 2nd, 2007, 12:22 PM
No, Daniel is the youngest and given how young Vala's father was I'm guessing Vala is younger than Carter too.

I know her age has been hotly debated many, many, many times and I don't want to get into that again, but given her history and service record she has got to be nearing fifty now.

It is unrealistic to show someone of her age and seniority on the front line, just as it was with Jack when he passed the fifty mark a few years ago.

If she is in the movies, which I doubt given her role on Atlantis, I am sure it would need to be from behind a desk. I'm sure it is a moot point anyway as both CJ and MS seem to be moving on, they have Rage Of Angels and even AT has the internet show (I forget it's name) about Jack the ripper. I don't think they would be available if more movies do come along.

Amanda was available this year for Atlantis, SAnctuary and both DVD moveis. I'm sure if she'll be asked she'd do more SG movies! The woman is a worka-holic :)
*I wish I could be like her*

Beckmen
August 2nd, 2007, 12:49 PM
Carter is a prodigy, that is how she accomplished so much in such little time. I always assumed that in COTG she was in hee late 20s or early 30s. If you want to believe Entity as canon, she's was born in 1968, making her 39 right now. I don't see a reason not to believe that source, either...it makes perfect sense to me. 1969 sets up Daniel as having been born in 1965, making him older than Carter.

Vala might be younger than Sam. I actually had assumed she was a bit older. She looks it, and being a host to Qetesh might have made her look younger than she was. But her father...yeah. I dunno, it's kind of a mystery. I still like to believe she's around 60, but looks 40. Regardless of the lack of evidence to support it.

Amanda did two SG-1 movies, Sanctuary and nearly 3/4 full time on Atlantis this year. If more movies get made, I can totally see her coming back, especially since I won't expect Sanctuary to be around then. MS and CJ's show is not a sure thing, either. Even if they both are hard at work running it, it leaves time in the off season to have parts in movie. Kiefer Sutherland does it with 24, many other TV actors manage as well.

flynn1959
August 2nd, 2007, 01:10 PM
Carter is a prodigy, that is how she accomplished so much in such little time. I always assumed that in COTG she was in hee late 20s or early 30s. If you want to believe Entity as canon, she's was born in 1968, making her 39 right now. I don't see a reason not to believe that source, either...it makes perfect sense to me. 1969 sets up Daniel as having been born in 1965, making him older than Carter.

Vala might be younger than Sam. I actually had assumed she was a bit older. She looks it, and being a host to Qetesh might have made her look younger than she was. But her father...yeah. I dunno, it's kind of a mystery. I still like to believe she's around 60, but looks 40. Regardless of the lack of evidence to support it.

Amanda did two SG-1 movies, Sanctuary and nearly 3/4 full time on Atlantis this year. If more movies get made, I can totally see her coming back, especially since I won't expect Sanctuary to be around then. MS and CJ's show is not a sure thing, either. Even if they both are hard at work running it, it leaves time in the off season to have parts in movie. Kiefer Sutherland does it with 24, many other TV actors manage as well.

There are lots of sites out there that show just how old Carter would need to be to have done everything she has done, prodigy or not, and it's a lot older than 39! But that's old news. Pardon the pun!

I think Vala looks years younger than Carter, I don't have the first clue how old the actors are but I do think that CB is younger than AT. She looked very, very young on Farscape.

As to the movies, who knows what is going to happen, it will be years before we see them anyway at this rate, even if they do happen. My guess is a lot of people will have moved on by then.

Mandysg1
August 2nd, 2007, 01:22 PM

You are correct, the character of Daniel is older than Sam (I'm not talking about the actors) using the examples from Entity and 1969 as you did. Cam I believe is the youngest (some say too young to be a colonel, but that is just a guess) Vala, by being a Goa'uld would be older than Daniel, but its really hard to say, since they really didn't give clues as to how old she was when she became a Goa'uld.

Amanda has always been loyal to the SG franchise, and if asked, I believe she will keep doing the movies :)

flynn1959
August 2nd, 2007, 01:46 PM
You are correct, the character of Daniel is older than Sam (I'm not talking about the actors) using the examples from Entity and 1969 as you did. Cam I believe is the youngest (some say too young to be a colonel, but that is just a guess) Vala, by being a Goa'uld would be older than Daniel, but its really hard to say, since they really didn't give clues as to how old she was when she became a Goa'uld.

Amanda has always been loyal to the SG franchise, and if asked, I believe she will keep doing the movies :)

I don't think those props etc can be trusted! After all, Jack said he was only forty in the first season!!!! LOL!

I also think it does women in general no good at all, that they need to be shown as being younger than they are. There is nothing at all wrong with being in your mid to late forties and tptb should let Carter age gracefully instead of having an almost desperate need to show her as being still in her thirties. Fifty was old for our grandmothers, now it can still be the prime of life.

Dressing the women up in pig tails, both Vala and Carter, just makes them look silly, not younger.

ReganX
August 2nd, 2007, 02:07 PM

"Entity" is the only canon year of birth we have for Sam, so I tend to go with that. Daniel is three years older.

You're right that as a prodigy, Sam would be able to accomplish more in a short space of time than someone of average intelligence might - for example, she would have had to be seventeen to attend the Air Force Academy, but if she graduated high school early, she could have had a couple of years of college under her belt by then, perhaps a full degree - don't some American high schools allow students to work towards college credits before they graduate? We've got a gap of at least two or three years between when she was flying in the Gulf and when she started work on the Stargate, so she could have completed her doctorate then.

We know from the Tok'ra that even without the use of a sarcophagus, a host's aging is slowed; Martouf was well over a hundred and looked to be in his early thirties. We also don't know how quickly or slowly people age on her homeworld - humans were taken from Earth thousands of years ago, after all. Just think how much the human life expectancy has changed in the last millennium alone. It's very possible that her father is older than he looks.

ReganX
August 2nd, 2007, 02:19 PM

Based on "200", he was born around May 1970. I believe he is just about old enough to have been promoted to lieutenant colonel at the beginning of Season Nine, but he's still a couple of years away from qualifying for promotion to full colonel.

I hope you're right about Amanda and any future movies. It wouldn't feel right if they didn't all have Sam and Teal'c in them; they're the ones who've been there every step of the way throughout "Stargate: SG-1".

the dancer of spaz
August 2nd, 2007, 02:19 PM
Yeah, I always considered Daniel and Sam to be genius prodigies, one-of-a-kind in their respective fields, and uniquely brilliant. There's a reason they were once called the Wonder Twins. :)

Uber
August 2nd, 2007, 02:27 PM
Yeah, I always considered Daniel and Sam to be genius prodigies, one-of-a-kind in their respective fields, and uniquely brilliant. There's a reason they were once called the Wonder Twins. :)It makes perfect sense to me too...they're exceptionally smart and talented people but I'd expect no less. I doubt the SGC would hire people of average intelligence and skills to carry out the kind of duties they were expected to perform.

Beckmen
August 2nd, 2007, 02:58 PM
I don't see how Jack being around 40 in COTG is that far fetched. If somebody asked me "How old do you think RDA is?" I would guess "About 50."

It's been too long, but doesn't Sam say she wasn't even born in 1969?

ReganX
August 2nd, 2007, 03:05 PM
I don't see how Jack being around 40 in COTG is that far fetched. If somebody asked me "How old do you think RDA is?" I would guess "About 50."

It's been too long, but doesn't Sam say she wasn't even born in 1969?

I think that you're thinking of Mitchell; in "200" he said that he wasn't born until a year after the point in 1969 SG-1 wound up at, corrected to nine months after.

I don't think Sam's ever stated her age.

Beckmen
August 2nd, 2007, 03:17 PM
Could be. I hear Sam saying "Sir, I wasn't even BORN in 1969." though. I have been known to have delusional memories, though.

Skydiver
August 2nd, 2007, 07:04 PM
in brief candle jack made a comment

Jack (practically yelling now): "To be experimented on! I mean, look at me! I'm
40 years old...or I was. That's...thousands and thousands of days."

in 1969 daniel says that he's 'four and a half'

in the light tealc says that he'll be 102 in 47 days

sam's age has never beenstated beyond the fact that she was in the gulf war, thus had to be at least 18-21ish in 1991

those that are bound and determined to denigrate sam will see things how they want to see it...ie 'sam the old hag' and will interpret the numbers however they see fit to support their own opinion.

Others will see other info how they wish to, since we have no real canon beyond the prop in Entity that states that sam was born in 1968 (canon that some will ignore because it suits them to ignore it because it makes the 'old hag' part a little hard to pull off when the numbers don't line up...and the fact that jack's being in the 40's in season 1 doesn't quite jive with his ID birthdate of 1952 in Fragile Balance supports the tradition of the printed props not always agreeing with spoken words. Another prime example of props not agreeing with spoken canon is sam's may birthstone in Ascension not agreeing with her dec birthday in entity)

but, at the end of the day...what the heck does sam's age have to do with her being in a movie that may not even happen?

'old' is a relative term and 'too old' is equally relative.

And for the record, sam has never verbally stated her age. :)

partly cloudy skies
August 3rd, 2007, 06:48 PM
I don't think it really matters how old Sam is really; she could still go on adventures at any age. I fully expected to see The original Star Trek characters rolling down the Enterprise hallways in wheel chairs at one point!

I actually always thought the ages of the original SG1 characters went from oldest to youngest: Teal'c, Jack, Sam, and Daniel. Jack I took as late 50's early sixties by the time of his latest Atlantis appearance, somewhere in that area because I saw a Vietnam service pin on a prop uniform once and since my dad was in Nam, they'd be around the same age. Props aren't the most reliable thing though.

Sam was flying planes in the Gulf War, so she had to be old enough to do that. And there's no early admission to the Air Force Academy, so if she skipped grades, she could have done some college coursework before the Academy and then after the war, plus her two years of work on the gate before Catherine brought in Daniel. I think I saw a chart once that compared her military career with average ages of promotions.

THe only date I know for sure about Daniel is he wasn't yet 30 for the Stargate movie, but close.

Which all has nothing to do with this topic, I'm sure. But to link it, um, it wouldn't matter if Sam was in her forties by now, because she could still be part of the action. I'd actually prefer it if she were toward the older end of speculation because it would show that a woman can still be attractive, active, and bright past her thirties.

Either way, they'll find a way to get all of the main cast into additional movies if made unless the cast member has truely moved on from the series.

Beckmen
August 3rd, 2007, 07:06 PM
This IS SciFi. Jack was way older than Carter when he was still leading SG-1. As it stands he still ends up on missions from time to time. Would the Air Force let somebody that old do field work? Well, do aliens speak English? It's suspended disbelief. As long as they get the military stuff as correct as they can without completely comprimising the story, then stretch it. Us fans shouldn't mind.