This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Questions

A little while ago I posted the following questions, the ones relevant to me again being:

Does the creation of the event horizon happen simultaneously for both the stargates? If so, how does the foreign gate know when it is being dialed?
    When someone attempts an offworld activation, do the individual chevrons that light up just indicate when a chevron is being activated on the other side, or do they indicate which chevron is being activated on the other side?
    Are all of the 39 symbols on all of the gates (minus the point of origin) supposed to be the same? (The movie mentioned that they are different)

I have a few amendments. First of all, I have heard that the symbols on the different stargates and corresponding DHDs are supposed to all have different symbols. However, it seems like all of the DHDs and stargates seem to be the same (I have even seen the point of origin representing earth on several offworld gates) Does anyone know if there is a reason in the story for this or is it just because of the shows budget. Also, recently I have seen on an old episode, what appeared to be the point of origin representing Abydos appeared in an address, but not as the last symbol (This was in the episode The fifth Race, where O'Neill gets in infected by the database of the ancients) Also, when someone who is offworld is dialing our gate, sometimes the all of chevrons lock and sometimes all of the chevrons appear to light up at once. Is that just a continuity problem or do the editors just cut time out of the sequence to save time? If anybody knows anything about these points, please respond. PS. My other post is titled "Questions for Stargate Fans" in General Stargate Discussion.

38 planets will use standard sybols as the PoO

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

All the questions you're asking here have either been answered in your original thread or in the Point of Origin thread. Please use the search feature in the future, or repost in your own thread.

---------------------------------

That said, the one question we DIDN'T answer was the new one about the locking. It kinda depends on the effects peoples' moods, or what the writers want. It SHOULD be they light up one at a time (with the exception of a rare event like the "Window of Opportunity" thing).
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
        All the questions you're asking here have either been answered in your original thread or in the Point of Origin thread. Please use the search feature in the future, or repost in your own thread.

---------------------------------

That said, the one question we DIDN'T answer was the new one about the locking. It kinda depends on the effects peoples' moods, or what the writers want. It SHOULD be they light up one at a time (with the exception of a rare event like the "Window of Opportunity" thing).
        I don't want to be offensive. There is an Omnipedia link that is quite incomplete. Instead of having to tell people to use the search button, which is not very intuitive, to find answers, the site administrators should allow for user updates to the Omnipedia. For example, maybe a wiki omnipedia. It would save user frustration on both sides. I don't use the search feature simply because it doesn't get me to what I am looking for efficiently.

If it's a manpower issue, I'd even contribute by setting one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Morrolan View Post
          I don't want to be offensive. There is an Omnipedia link that is quite incomplete. Instead of having to tell people to use the search button, which is not very intuitive, to find answers, the site administrators should allow for user updates to the Omnipedia. For example, maybe a wiki omnipedia. It would save user frustration on both sides. I don't use the search feature simply because it doesn't get me to what I am looking for efficiently.

If it's a manpower issue, I'd even contribute by setting one up.
          What...? When did I ever mention the Omnipedia? I was saying that in ANOTHER thread he created, we answered nearly all of the questions he's asking, and in a thread right near this one, we answered the others. I was telling him to use search (Which DOES work... And it's what the mods would tell you to use anyway).

And why tell me? I can't change it. Send a PM to Darren, I guess.
          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

What...? When did I ever mention the Omnipedia? I was saying that in ANOTHER thread he created, we answered nearly all of the questions he's asking, and in a thread right near this one, we answered the others. I was telling him to use search (Which DOES work... And it's what the mods would tell you to use anyway).

And why tell me? I can't change it. Send a PM to Darren, I guess.
            I'm not jumping on you at all. I just see these posts all the time, and follow the instructions. The search box pulls up pages of posts completely unrelated to what I am searching. It's not unique to this site. It's frustrating to see "use search posts" all the time when I have trouble using the damn thing.

I'm not telling you specifically, just posting my thoughts on the issue. Sorry if it offended you. Just trying to make the site better.

Comment

I'm not jumping on you at all. I just see these posts all the time, and follow the instructions. The search box pulls up pages of posts completely unrelated to what I am searching. It's not unique to this site. It's frustrating to see "use search posts" all the time when I have trouble using the damn thing.

I'm not telling you specifically, just posting my thoughts on the issue. Sorry if it offended you. Just trying to make the site better.
              Sorry, I just got up lol. A bit jumpy, I guess.

But Darren would be the one to alert

Comment

Sorry, I just got up lol. A bit jumpy, I guess.

But Darren would be the one to alert
                I sent an email to the contact us at the bottom of the site. I just think it would really enhance the site.

Comment

I sent an email to the contact us at the bottom of the site. I just think it would really enhance the site.
                  While the omnipedia may be incomplete when covering some topics, i woul be willing to bet that if you had some information (or a link to some information), and you contacted Darren or one of the mods, they might be willing to look at your information and they might include some of it in the omnipedia. (Be certain that your information is relevant to both Stargate and esepcially the particular topic within the Omnipedia that you wish provide the information for.) Darren and the mods will not take the time to sift through a big dissertation if only a small part of it pertains to the topic at hand. Kee your information concise. For the most part, the information in the Omnipedia is written by the GW staff (gathered from fans or from their own research) or is information made available from the production staff from Stargate. In any case, i'm thinking the mods are open to receiving new information for the omnipedia. Contact them first before submitting anything.

As for the search, use the "Advanced Search" be sure to select "Search Thread titles ony" as part of your search criteria. If you use the other search options, you get nowhere.

And to answer the original question:

The gates work like telephones in a way. When you dial a gate on a DHD, it the other gate "answers" and the connection is made. Once the connection is made, both wormholes open and the gates are ready for travellers.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith View Post
                    While the omnipedia may be incomplete when covering some topics, i woul be willing to bet that if you had some information (or a link to some information), and you contacted Darren or one of the mods, they might be willing to look at your information and they might include some of it in the omnipedia. (Be certain that your information is relevant to both Stargate and esepcially the particular topic within the Omnipedia that you wish provide the information for.) Darren and the mods will not take the time to sift through a big dissertation if only a small part of it pertains to the topic at hand. Kee your information concise. For the most part, the information in the Omnipedia is written by the GW staff (gathered from fans or from their own research) or is information made available from the production staff from Stargate. In any case, i'm thinking the mods are open to receiving new information for the omnipedia. Contact them first before submitting anything.
                    Hence why I was thinking a wiki would be good. Takes the task off of the staff and allows questions to be answered as they appear in topics. Kind of a living Stargate Encyclopaedia. I have emailed a suggestion and will maybe propose something that could work.

I don't think the search is horrible as I can foul up Google a good many times as well.

Comment

I found 2 rpg gate wikis and 2 nonrpg gate wikis. It's weird. I haven't done a thorough search, so I don't know if any of these are mirrors of another.

www.stargateworldswiki.com
                      http://stargatewars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.co....php/Main_Page
                      http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

If the omnipedia becomes a wiki, what would its status be? Official? I don't see how, unless they only accepted changes that are submitted before they appear on the page. Unless...there were 2 sections per page. One that was 'official' that couldn't be touched by the public and another section that was accessible to just anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by GStone View Post
                        I found 2 rpg gate wikis and 2 nonrpg gate wikis. It's weird. I haven't done a thorough search, so I don't know if any of these are mirrors of another.

www.stargateworldswiki.com
                        http://stargatewars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.co....php/Main_Page
                        http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

If the omnipedia becomes a wiki, what would its status be? Official? I don't see how, unless they only accepted changes that are submitted before they appear on the page. Unless...there were 2 sections per page. One that was 'official' that couldn't be touched by the public and another section that was accessible to just anyone.
                        I think it should be open unless there were moderators to fact check entries. I think a canon section and an opinion section would be nice. One completely open, the other open with review. It's just a thought, and maybe I'm overstepping my bounds being new here, but I think it would really provide for tons of information in a single place. I don't want to put more work on the admins, so maybe a group of volunteers could be chosen to review entries.

GateWorld Omnipedia Wiki, maybe? I'll see if and how the administrators reply.

Comment

Working...
                        X