This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official Odyssey Shield Stregnth in Unending

Because of the bitter debates backed on relative assumptions on the true strength of the Odyssey's shields against the Ori main canon fire, I have decided to go back to the show get the shield strengths after a counted number of impacts.
    These numbers come from the first engagement:
    2 impacts ---> 83%
    4 impacts ---> 50%
    5 impacts ---> 28%

From that we can make a graph, and using the graphing formula from algebra II which is y=a(x-h)^2 +k, we can find the equation that should tell us how much shield strength is left after getting hit with a determined number of Ori primary canon fire. The graph gives us 2 major parts we need the x and y axis.
    y axis: 0,100
    x axis: approximately 5.65,0
    Those points give us our variables for a and k, since we don't move the graph to the left or right h=0. It brings us to the final equation of y=-3.132586733(x^2)+100. Where y=remaining shield strength in percent, and x= number of Ori Primary canon fire hitting the shield. The graph is parabolic pointed downwards. Its not extremely accurate, but the best that any one has ever shown, and it appears the shields can withstand a little more right before they go off line. The equation becomes even more complex when multiple hits are taken simultaneously.
    x=2 is off by 4.5, its too high in my equation. If someone wants to tweak it they can.

Bottom line the maximum amounts of hits the upgraded Odyssey (with a ZPM) can take before its shields are depleted are 6 shots from Ori primary canons.
    Last edited by 2ndgenerationalteran; 12 July 2007, 11:37 PM.
    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

2ndgenerationalteran, thanks for trying to explain the shield strength but I think there's just too much fluctuations to make a sound conclusion. I mean from a difference of 17%(2 shots) to 33%(+2 shots) then back to 22%(+1) makes the whole thing seem too erratic. All this can be explained by Odyssey's ability to recharge its shields, that, or the writers' ability to pull numbers from their arses.

Comment

Also, do we know if the shield strength is consistent throughout the shield's entirety? Perhaps different areas are stronger than others to help protect areas that are more vital.

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

1st law of shield strength in any science fiction show: The Shield Strength Shall Serve the Plot

Comment

a shield is a shield

carter wasnt going we've been hit, 17% of shield have been gone that means the next hit would take 22% of our shields which means if we calculate.....

doesnt matter plus the core or the zpm was powering the shields so once energy was taken out of the buffer the core or zpm charged it up

or something like that lol
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
            Because of the bitter debates backed on relative assumptions on the true strength of the Odyssey's shields against the Ori main canon fire, I have decided to go back to the show get the shield strengths after a counted number of impacts.
            These numbers come from the first engagement:
            2 impacts ---> 83%
            4 impacts ---> 50%
            5 impacts ---> 28%

From that we can make a graph, and using the graphing formula from algebra II which is y=a(x-h)^2 +k, we can find the equation that should tell us how much shield strength is left after getting hit with a determined number of Ori primary canon fire. The graph gives us 2 major parts we need the x and y axis.
            y axis: 0,100
            x axis: approximately 5.65,0
            Those points give us our variables for a and k, since we don't move the graph to the left or right h=0. It brings us to the final equation of y=-3.132586733(x^2)+100. Where y=remaining shield strength in percent, and x= number of Ori Primary canon fire hitting the shield. The graph is parabolic pointed downwards. Its not extremely accurate, but the best that any one has ever shown, and it appears the shields can withstand a little more right before they go off line. The equation becomes even more complex when multiple hits are taken simultaneously.
            x=2 is off by 4.5, its too high in my equation. If someone wants to tweak it they can.

Bottom line the maximum amounts of hits the upgraded Odyssey (with a ZPM) can take before its shields are depleted are 6 shots from Ori primary canons.
            Come on, guys, ease up. Even if it ISN'T consistant, this is a good argument. Plus, from what we've seen, 6 or 7 hits WOULD be the maximum no matter what.

Overall: good job.
            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

THe only problem I have is, did Orilla exploding damage the shields, and did the radiation they were flooded with weaken them in any way?

Otherwise I think you did a damn good job on that.
              www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post
                THe only problem I have is, did Orilla exploding damage the shields, and did the radiation they were flooded with weaken them in any way?

Otherwise I think you did a damn good job on that.
                I just watched it back. the planet exploding dropped the shields to 50%. 2 shots from the Ori before this, they were at 83%. Between the time that they were at 83% and the shockwave hit them, they were hit by 1 blast from the Ori (that we saw).

If that helps.

Comment

"I just watched it back. the planet exploding dropped the shields to 50%. 2 shots from the Ori before this, they were at 83%. Between the time that they were at 83% and the shockwave hit them, they were hit by 1 blast from the Ori (that we saw)."

The planet explosion had an impact. It must have an impact on the Ori ship as well. So both ships shields were weakened. And after this, it is hard to calculate the ships shield power because when they enter and exit hyperspace are their shields at 100% before they fight the Ori?

I think the only number that is accurate is your #1 then, 83%.

This would also imply that while Odyssey weapons are very powerful, they had some help taking out the first Ori ship, because the planet explosion caused the Ori shields to weaken as well.

Comment

But by how much?

What happened to the two Ori crusaders that actually moved towards Orilla just before the explosion?
                    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                      But by how much?

What happened to the two Ori crusaders that actually moved towards Orilla just before the explosion?
                      My quick guess would have been that they were easily destroyed when the planet destroyed.

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

Yeah, there is no way they survived a planetary explosion. They were heading right into the planet when it exploded.

Comment

This is what I have been saying all along. 11 shots to nearly take out the shields, 12 shots destroys the Odyssey.

Not bad considering 1 shot easily destroy Ha'taks like nothing ever before (even more impressive than Anubis weapon). Takes out former Asgard shields with 2 shots, destroyed in 3 shots.

Those lasers are awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Entreri View Post
                            This is what I have been saying all along. 11 shots to nearly take out the shields, 12 shots destroys the Odyssey.

Not bad considering 1 shot easily destroy Ha'taks like nothing ever before (even more impressive than Anubis weapon). Takes out former Asgard shields with 2 shots, destroyed in 3 shots.

Those lasers are awesome.
                            More with you saying they are lasers they arent lasers.
                            sigpic

Comment

They are lasers, just read up the write up on those ships.

Too bad some in this forum are clueless, close minded and have too much Ancient tech bias.

Once you read the line: Ancients were the most powerful race, nothing else enters the mind. Children are like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X