PDA

View Full Version : What would happen if a Z.P.M blow up?

MacGuyverThis
July 10th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Is a zpm powerful enough to blow up a entire Star system .We've heard Rodney say it would .But yet the Anient Power source Rodney blow up took out a planet and it was suppose to be more powerfull than a ZPM .

Mainy I want to know because I have a idea for a story spin off and I need some info .

If anything I thought that when ever you blow up something realy big you call it a Mc Kay.

Rudy Pena
July 10th, 2007, 09:29 PM
It destoryed more than just the planet, it took out about 3/4 of the solar system.But a ZPM would destory a entire solar system.

B O Y S C O U T
July 10th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Well in Progency three of them only destroyed a city ship. . .

Dutch_Razor
July 10th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Compare it with a nuke, you can blow up a nuke nothing happens, you can set it of something really happens.

Same goes for ZPMs I take it, and the power source that took out that solar system was far more unstable than a ZPM.

The tainted ZPM could take out a solarsystem, so one would need to do something to the ZPM to make it release it's energy.

B O Y S C O U T
July 10th, 2007, 10:38 PM
But wouldn't it be like a naq generator? you create a feedback loop and it goes boom lol... I'm pretty sure that's what Mckay did in Progency and the explosion was tiny. . .

Dutch_Razor
July 10th, 2007, 10:39 PM
No he overloaded the system not the ZPM I believe.

B O Y S C O U T
July 10th, 2007, 10:42 PM
That makes considerably more sense lol... But yeah something with the power output of a ZPM would create a pretty massive explosion

Dutch_Razor
July 10th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Which would not be very handy to be near of ;)

2ndgenerationalteran
July 10th, 2007, 11:27 PM
I think Dutch Razor is right, you have to modify the ZPM to make it use all its energy to go boom. Your standard overload probably would be a big explosion but not a solar system altering explosion, the trinity project seemed to have an overload explosion that was definitely solar system altering. If I'm right its truly saying something spectacular on that type of energy.

Nylon
July 11th, 2007, 12:57 AM
It destoryed more than just the planet, it took out about 3/4 of the solar system.But a ZPM would destory a entire solar system.

5/6 its not an exactly science. I was under the impression that the size of a zedpm explosion was proportional to the energy being drawn from it.

Mister Oragahn
July 11th, 2007, 01:24 AM
In Critical Mass, the overloading ZPM would have destroyed Lantea in its entirety.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the exotic particles, if they are created in the artificial subspace pocket as well.

wise one
July 11th, 2007, 03:09 AM
when the daedalus went into hyperspace and then the big explosion happened

i would of thought the explosion would of boosted the ship a few million lightyears away just like in that episode with the hatak.

but it didnt lol

JoNzA
July 11th, 2007, 03:39 AM
well we know that the tantied ZPM would take out our solar system but the solar system in trinity mayby was a hole lot bigger

Mister Oragahn
July 11th, 2007, 06:21 AM
when the daedalus went into hyperspace and then the big explosion happened

i would of thought the explosion would of boosted the ship a few million lightyears away just like in that episode with the hatak.

but it didnt lol

That is actually a very good point you bring.
The discrepancy between Trinity and Exodus requires an explanation, in another thread.

l33telboi
July 11th, 2007, 10:28 AM
My thoughts on the matter has to do with how much power is being channeled from the sub-space region said to be attatched to a ZPM. If only a tiny bit of power is being channeled when the ZPM is destroyed, the boom would be small since the majority of energy would remain in sub-space and thus be disconnected from real-space. If you would try to channel everything simultaneously the boom would be big though.

This is probably what the Goa'uld stuff was supposed to do. It would force the ZPM to try to channel as much power as possible from sub-space all at once.

Mister Oragahn
July 11th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Some kind of catalyzer.
In Progeny, the ZPMs were probably moderately tapped, just enough to let the shield idle, and have the stardrives running low in very high orbit.
Plus we saw that the explosions originated from several sections of the asuran cityship, so McKay played it smart and even made sure that certains system would get too much energy.

In Critical Mass, the super destruction would have occured because the computer would try to open a wormhole between Atlantis and Earth.

Seems like you need planet cracking levels to make inter galactic trips, with standard gates at least, as apparently, a wormhole is enough to feed a supergate for a trip between two distant galaxies (I pretty much doubt the Ori galaxy is a neighbour, I'd rather think it's in another whole different and far cluster).

It's very likely that a ZPM has a control hub, which manages the energy flow and extraction rate, and this control hub can be commanded through the ZPM slot's connections, by external machines.

Vala_M
July 11th, 2007, 04:13 PM
I guess it's implied in the thread that by "blow up" you mean set it to explode but what would happen if you just put some C 4 on a ZPM and blew it up? I think nothing would happen other than the regular blast.

Vala,

Jimbo-DR
July 11th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Some kind of catalyzer.
In Progeny, the ZPMs were probably moderately tapped, just enough to let the shield idle, and have the stardrives running low in very high orbit.
Plus we saw that the explosions originated from several sections of the asuran cityship, so McKay played it smart and even made sure that certains system would get too much energy.

In Critical Mass, the super destruction would have occured because the computer would try to open a wormhole between Atlantis and Earth.

Seems like you need planet cracking levels to make inter galactic trips, with standard gates at least, as apparently, a wormhole is enough to feed a supergate for a trip between two distant galaxies (I pretty much doubt the Ori galaxy is a neighbour, I'd rather think it's in another whole different and far cluster).

It's very likely that a ZPM has a control hub, which manages the energy flow and extraction rate, and this control hub can be commanded through the ZPM slot's connections, by external machines.

Agreed. But how how HOW did that stupid Ancient device connect Vala and Daniel in real time to another person in another galaxy?!

IcyNeko
July 12th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Magick. Goa'uld Magicks.

Buba uognarf
July 12th, 2007, 08:24 AM
My view is like others have stated the size of the overload e.g. the explosion is directly proportional to the amount of power being drawn from it.

Blackwater
July 23rd, 2007, 06:29 PM
Have you seen the Crab Nebula?

Yep. ZPM overload. No one was left to say whether it was accidental or not.

Blackwater

2ndgenerationalteran
July 23rd, 2007, 06:51 PM
so in the beggining there was a ZPM, then it went boom and the universe was born?

Rudy Pena
July 23rd, 2007, 07:41 PM
so in the beggining there was a ZPM, then it went boom and the universe was born?lol, Yes and thats how the big bag started.

Ravroz
July 23rd, 2007, 10:05 PM
Actually it wasn't a zpm that took out the majority of a solar system it was the Arcturus project that took it out. It overloaded and exploded taking out the solar system. I do remember from the episode with the tainted zpm, I believe, that it would pretty much take out all of earth but I don't remember anything about it taking out an entire solar system. Also on the season 2 episode titled critical mass the zpm would have taken out most of Lantea.

Jyral Nadreth
July 24th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Actually it wasn't a zpm that took out the majority of a solar system it was the Arcturus project that took it out. It overloaded and exploded taking out the solar system. I do remember from the episode with the tainted zpm, I believe, that it would pretty much take out all of earth but I don't remember anything about it taking out an entire solar system. Also on the season 2 episode titled critical mass the zpm would have taken out most of Lantea.

I heard that as well-I would think that if one detonated on Earth the surface would be wiped out and the planetary crust would become very unstable causing mass volcanic eruptions, Yellowstone to blow up and all of humanity dead with no chance of rebuilding-so very much taken out(This is if Earth was very lucky otherwise a brand new astroid belt 1 AU from the sun-3 rocks from the sun tehehehehehehe)

Buba uognarf
July 24th, 2007, 01:54 AM
Actually in 'critical mass' Mckay said the ENTIRE planet would be destroyed. That imo means deathstar style destruction.

wise one
July 24th, 2007, 01:59 AM
well it would something like in trinity when mckay blew the 3/4 of a solar system..

Buba uognarf
July 24th, 2007, 02:01 AM
well it would something like in trinity when mckay blew the 3/4 of a solar system..

4/5 it's not exact science:mckay:

Salamas
July 24th, 2007, 02:16 AM

But that wasnt the ZPM that blew up, it was an entirely different powersource.

Col. Shadow Quinn
July 24th, 2007, 02:30 AM
If a ZPM exploded, we'd be screwed bigtime.

Mister Oragahn
July 24th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Agreed. But how how HOW did that stupid Ancient device connect Vala and Daniel in real time to another person in another galaxy?!

Maybe it has a sort of ZPM inside?
Coupled to subspace comms, which don't require as much energy as if you wanted to transfer matter through a stabilized wormhole.

Jyral Nadreth
July 24th, 2007, 06:21 AM
A ZPM's an Energiser battery-Arcturas is a Nuclear Reactor. I know A Naquadria enhanced Arcturas Generator bomb = Mommyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Penguinarmy
July 24th, 2007, 08:24 AM

I believe it was later said in that episode that had the ZPM been used it could have taken out a sizable chunk of the solar system...or something to that effect.

Lord batchi ball
July 24th, 2007, 09:26 AM
yes the ZPM would destroy the solar system only if it comes in contact with a direct current.

wise one
July 24th, 2007, 11:04 AM
But that wasnt the ZPM that blew up, it was an entirely different powersource.

if you were reading properly, i said it would something like the trinity explosion not that it would be exactly like that...

Mister Oragahn
July 25th, 2007, 02:51 AM
yes the ZPM would destroy the solar system only if it comes in contact with a direct current.

Yes, in Zero Hour, the ZPM bobby trapped by Camulus.

Lee made a quick estimation, who thought it would have destroyed the entire planet.
Carter checked the calcs - no pressure, the mission was gone - and was convinced that Lee made a mistake of some sort.
She considered that the whole explosion would have destroyed the whole Sol system.

That's already above a supernova, since Earth was not at the center of the system, and would act as a massive rock shield, since the ZPM would explode at the surface of the planet, so there would need to be much more energy than that of a supernova.
Try at least hypernova (100 supernovae, or e46 joules).

And that was only with a ZPM at 50%.

The one in Critical Mass, would have destroyed Lantea in its entirety. This is related to the amount of energy that was extracted.
Which once more points out how a ZPM is a complex system with many functions and subsystems integrated within itself.