Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cloverfield (spoilers, speculation, clue hunting)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloverfield (spoilers, speculation, clue hunting)

I was not one of the lucky ones to see the new JJ Abrams mystery movie trailer before Transformers, but I've been hearing snippets about it all week. Anyone else curious?

The most recent revelation is that all of the Ethan Haas stuff- which a lot of people were assuming was tied into the movie- was actually for some new RPG/game thingy coming out this fall. It makes me SO glad that I didn't waste time trying to solve the various puzzles on the Haas site.

If Ethan isn't in the game, though, that discredits a lot of the theories that were being developed, most notably the thoughts of a Cthulhu/Lovecraft connection. There's definitely a monster of some sort, but not necessarily one of the Old Ones.

What I found interesting is that the studio was systematically removing the phone-captured trailer from YouTube. I mean, it's a trailer right? Basically a commercial? You should think they'd want people watching it. Or maybe that was just to help build the hype. The trailer is now available online and let me say that I think it is a MASSIVE help to finally be able to understand what people are saying... and to hear the noises they hear.

Another theory debunked: The voice yells, "It's alive," not "It's a lion," so those who persist in the theory of it being a Voltron movie will have to try their luck somewhere else.

And for those attending Comic Con, keep your eyes peeled for unattended items like video tapes, discs and memory sticks. Someone on the promo team for the movie said,

Let me give you a hint: the people behind the marketing for this movie assume that if you see something lying unattended at comic-con, you will assume it's okay to steal
    Others have referenced past promotions where memory sticks containing songs from a band's new album were left in the bathrooms of some related venue and another con where copies of The Ring (or probably the movie from The Ring) were left for folks to find.

Another clue may be on the Slusho site. Maybe that "deep sea ingredient" is the egg sac of some deep sea monster....

I've been hearing from people that it might be a new Godzilla movie, though I'm not sure I see that happening.

If you haven't seen the trailer, you can watch it here:
    http://www.worstpreviews.com/trailer.php?id=966&item=0
    Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
    Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
    Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
    --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

That's been suggested, but Godzilla is owned by Sony, not Paramount. Unless I've missed a memo somewhere. Hard to keep up with some of the companines.

Comment

The trailer definitely grabbed my attention. I just hope some more info comes out about what this movie is all about.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

It's a Godzilla ripoff, which I love. :-D

Plus it is said that the movie only cost 30 million, looks damn good for 30 million. This should be a hint to every movie maker out there. You do not need 500 million dollars to make a movie!

Comment

I saw the trailer this morning on Apple, and it has me wondering what the movie is about.

IGN Movie News

Comment

lol I've heard that it could be Ghostbusters 3
              Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
              Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
              Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
              --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

Originally posted by Xicer View Post
                lol I've heard that it could be Ghostbusters 3
                Not unless the description given by one of the actors was complete misinformation. GB3 is supposed to take place in some demon version of Manhattan.

I'd prefer it to be something new (relatively speaking) rather than some pre-existing thing like Voltron or Ghostbusters or whatever.

Comment

I suspect it'll be a sequel to 1998's Godzilla (Sony could have sole Paramount the sequel rights) or something original. Whatever it is, it's almost certainly a monster movie. I enjoy monster movies, so I'll probably see it so long as it's not filmed as a two-hour home video.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                    ...I'll probably see it so long as it's not filmed as a two-hour home video.
                    That's pretty much what it's gonna look like. One of the details that is known is that the movie is filmed "primarily" on hand-held cameras. Think Godzilla vs. Blair Witch.

It isn't Godzilla (I highly doubt Sony sold the rights to Paramount), but if it's one of the other classic monsters like Gamera or something (dunno who owns them), that'd be okay. Although I'm still hoping it's an Abrams original monster.

Comment

I like the joke I read elsewhere...

It's Lostzilla after it gets of the island and it is pissed.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                        That's pretty much what it's gonna look like. One of the details that is known is that the movie is filmed "primarily" on hand-held cameras. Think Godzilla vs. Blair Witch.
                        Why do you think so? Lots of movies have had previews that barely resembled the finished film. It's entirely possible that there's just this one scene that's shown through a video camera, and that's what they chose for the first preview to keep things vague. I just don't believe the entire movie will be filmed as if a real person recorded it with a personal video camera. What I saw in the preview as very bad filming. Why would anyone intentionally film the movie poorly?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                          Why do you think so? Lots of movies have had previews that barely resembled the finished film. It's entirely possible that there's just this one scene that's shown through a video camera, and that's what they chose for the first preview to keep things vague. I just don't believe the entire movie will be filmed as if a real person recorded it with a personal video camera. What I saw in the preview as very bad filming. Why would anyone intentionally film the movie poorly?
                          I thought the filming of the preview was great- but then again, I love hand-held cam.

Comment

Doesnt look to bad actually, like the realism of it anyway. If the rumours of it being a remake of Day of the triffids are true it should appeal to me anyway.
                            Go buy my music and give a starving artist some support. It's dirt-cheap, dammit.
                            Ion Plasma Incineration (Hard and heavy electro-industrial music in the vein of late 90's classics, updated for the 21st century!)

Current project : Working on Tolathians Outpost Cyclopean, the world's first pure non-humanoid extra-dimensional sci-fi show! 100% no humans !

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                              I thought the filming of the preview was great- but then again, I love hand-held cam.
                              I can't stand it, I want to scream at the camera man, "Hold still, you moron!"

Comment

Working...
                              X