PDA

View Full Version : Wraith Theory

GhostPoet
May 4th, 2004, 02:49 PM
How about this theory...the Wraiths are actually the ancients...the Ancients didn't get killed off...they mutated because of a virus...and that virus drove them insane with an addiction to life forces...which also keeps them alive?

Teal'c
May 4th, 2004, 03:28 PM
*shouts at mods* Merge! :P

Possible, but I don't like it, seems too cheesy, and not the good Space Race kind :P

SGSlugger
May 4th, 2004, 03:42 PM
IMHO, I think that they are a sub-species of the Furlings.

spg_1983
May 4th, 2004, 03:58 PM
IMHO, I think that they are a sub-species of the Furlings.
the dont look very cute and furry to me

DownFallAngel
May 4th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Actually we don't know what the furlings look like. All we've seen was their writing, which was destroyed.

WraithKing
May 4th, 2004, 07:24 PM
I'd love to see O'Neill's reaction if they did turn out to be related to the furlings. :cool:

ShadowMaat
May 4th, 2004, 08:08 PM
How about this theory...the Wraiths are actually the ancients...the Ancients didn't get killed off...they mutated because of a virus...and that virus drove them insane with an addiction to life forces...which also keeps them alive?

Great theory. Very logical. Which is probably why it isn't the case. ;) I'd be more inclined to think of the Wraith as Ancients Gone Greedy than due to a virus, but either one would be interesting.

The truth is probably far different and will hint at a deeper origin of things than we realized.

Dibbs7
May 5th, 2004, 02:39 AM
What do you know that we dont? Who have you been talking to?

ShadowMaat
May 5th, 2004, 03:46 AM
What do you know that we dont? Who have you been talking to?

Me? I don't know anything that you don't, I just doubt that the "answer" will be the obvious one. TPTB are known for making things complicated. ;)

Anubis
May 5th, 2004, 03:50 AM
I doubt that would be true. I don't think the Ancients would have two names, team up with Anubis to wipe themselves out

I must admit, good storyline thought though

Wass
May 5th, 2004, 04:22 AM
Just had a look at gateworlds Atlantis ad photoes of the Wraith Queen............I have to say she looks scary, more like a vampire what do you all think.

D.C.
May 5th, 2004, 05:00 AM
Looks a little like that Alien who kidnapped Daniel in Fire & Water.

ShadowMaat
May 5th, 2004, 06:14 AM
Looks a little like that Alien who kidnapped Daniel in Fire & Water.

Looks nothing like Nem. Nem was aquatic, fish-oid. He had tentacles on his face. The Wraith look like Marilyn Manson. At least, the queen does.

Wass
May 5th, 2004, 07:05 AM
Looks nothing like Nem. Nem was aquatic, fish-oid. He had tentacles on his face. The Wraith look like Marilyn Manson. At least, the queen does.

I agree with you there Shadow the first thing that came to my mine was Marilyn Manson I think it's the eyes and the nose. :D

Mr Prophet
May 5th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Actually we don't know what the furlings look like. All we've seen was their writing, which was destroyed.

I still want to see the Furlings turn out to be nine foot tall killing machines.

If the Wraith were some kind of virally-mutated Ancients, I'd hope that they would turn out to have released the plague themselves, perhaps in an attempt to achieve Ascension or as a rival program of research. That would be a bit I am Legend though.

Anubis
May 5th, 2004, 09:23 AM
The Wraith Queen looks mean and scary. Enough there to make you not want to fight to avoid them!

Can't wait to hear the official storyline in the episode of Atlantis. Be cool. However, the UK have to wait until September for the new series to start! :(

GateGipsy
May 5th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Mr Prophet - what is I am Legend?

g.o.d
May 5th, 2004, 09:32 AM
maybe they're just a very old and powerfull race from another galaxy(Pegasus galaxy).Oma said "We are so small and universe is so vast.".So they aren't Ancients or Furlings(I hope:-) ).Perhaps, furlings live in another galaxy, so as Asgards.There may be another powerful races in the Universe.I know it's very simply theory.We really don't know..now.

Mr Prophet
May 5th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Mr Prophet - what is I am Legend?

I am Legend, by Richard Matheson, is one of the great classics of SF literature. It was filmed (badly) as The Omega Man, and the central premise is that a virus is released which effectively transforms those infected into vampires, until all that is left is this one guy in his fortressed home, set against a world full of vampires.

GateGipsy
May 5th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Thanks. I've not read the book - I'll rectify that.

Just checked it out on Amazon - the SF Masterclass paperback has an excellent cover!

ShadowMaat
May 5th, 2004, 10:41 AM
If we're talking, "Gee, this looks familar..." check out the movie Lifeforce: "A mission to rendezvous with Halley's Comet finds a 150 mile-long derelict spaceship in the head of the comet. The astronauts recover three humanoid aliens. The aliens revive when returned to earth and are found to be space vampires who drain the 'lifeforce' from their victims who then also become vampires. As the virus spreads out of control through the population, special SAS Colonel Caine (Peter Firth) teams up with the only survivor of the Halley's Comet mission, Carlsen (Steven Railsback) who is psychically linked to the female vampire to stop the alien menace.

And check out the books by Colin Wilson:

Colin Wilson's first "mythos" novel was written on a challenge from August Derleth, H.P. Lovecraft's publisher. In his book of literary criticism The Strength to Dream, Wilson had been less than chartible in his analysis of Lovecraft's work. Derleth took offense, and said to Wilson, in effect: why don't you write a better mythos story? Wilson took up the challenge, and produced The Mind Parasites, a 'Lovecraftian' novel in which mysteriúous parasites hidden, deep in the depths of the human mind, suck up our vital energy.

Colin Wilson revisited this theme of the theft of vital energy in his novel The Space Vampires which Lifeforce is based on.

Thanks to HP Lovecraft Film Fest (http://www.hplfilmfestival.com/archives.htm) site for the info.

GhostPoet
May 5th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Yes...there are things very similiar or even exact duplicates of other ideas used in Sci-Fi. But thats how sci-fi goes. Just look at how many movies used "hyperdrive" after Star Wars came out.

Ideas are re-used often. But that doesn't mean the idea as a whole is not a bad one or unoriginal. Only the basic concepts are re-used in sci-fi films and shows...but the deeper content is typically the writers own.

Look at Star Wars...it was based largely off of the Buck Rogers series...while there are similiar elements..the show in itself is original and holds its own.

Tho I think if a new show came out and used a "spacering" to travel around and it just happened to look like rippling water inside the ring...hmmm that is going to far :P

Mr Prophet
May 5th, 2004, 11:00 AM

Just checked it out on Amazon - the SF Masterclass paperback has an excellent cover!

Those are some sweet editions, although the Fantasy Masterworks give you more bang for your buck; fantasy books are so much bigger.

ShadowMaat
May 5th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Ideas are re-used often. But that doesn't mean the idea as a whole is not a bad one or unoriginal. Only the basic concepts are re-used in sci-fi films and shows...but the deeper content is typically the writers own.

I guess it'll depend on how much effort the writers put into making it original, into making it their own instead of an "homage". :P

SGSlugger
May 5th, 2004, 12:22 PM
It's not just Sci-Fi that ideas are reused. It's everything. Each thing borrows from something (i.e.: Fantasty borrows from the Lord of the Rings).

Although Star Wars borrowed from a lot of sources, one could argue that it borrowed a lot from Dune, by Frank Herbert (there are even some who think that Star Wars is just a carbon copy of it.)

GhostPoet
May 5th, 2004, 01:26 PM
I guess it'll depend on how much effort the writers put into making it original, into making it their own instead of an "homage". :P

I hope not too. but I have faith in the writers...they havn't really let us down yet.

Mio
May 5th, 2004, 02:34 PM
I hope not too. but I have faith in the writers...they havn't really let us down yet.

I agree. We need to sit back, and enjoy the ride.

ShadowMaat
May 5th, 2004, 04:10 PM

They haven't let YOU down yet. :P

Lord Loz
May 6th, 2004, 05:13 AM
They haven't let YOU down yet. :P

Then maybe its your standards that are wrong and not the writers performances ;)

Cyrstal Skull Alien
May 6th, 2004, 06:51 AM
I think having this new baddy is a good thing.

I think that the Wraith are like the gould in a way eg cant negotiate and they want some thing from us - Life force.

How ever, unlike the Gould we dont need to save the host, now unless we find that the lifeforce can be returned to the body it came from to reguvinate them.

So now we have gone back to the Gould, we need to destroy them but without killing them so that we can get our team members back.

ShadowMaat
May 6th, 2004, 07:33 AM
Then maybe its your standards that are wrong and not the writers performances ;)

You're right. Silly me. I got so used to the high quality of the earlier season of SG-1 that I'm having a hard time adjusting to lower standards. :P

On topic: I still hope that the Wraith are a serious threat (not comical and cliched as most of the goa'uld have, IMO, turned out to be) and not one easily defeated.

Bacardi
May 6th, 2004, 08:35 AM
the dont look very cute and furry to me

how can a species be taken seriously with a name like furlings.. :P

i highly doubt the wraith have any connection to the ancients other than they were enemies.. mayb territorial issues caused the fight but more likely the "feeding" thing got outta hand.

veneticuss
May 11th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Furlings?

Mr Prophet
May 11th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Nine foot tall killing machines, I tells ya. Just you wait.

auir999
September 16th, 2004, 09:13 AM
well i doubt that could happen, considering that the ancient hologram said that they found a strong enemy that was sleeping.

Ancient 1
September 16th, 2004, 11:03 AM

If what you say about the cover is true, then there's one book you can judge by its cover. I enjoyed it many years ago. The Omega Man didn't do it justice. Many movies are often a letdown when you've read the book first.

AmyE
September 16th, 2004, 08:29 PM
OK...I just had a brain storm in Wraith Theory....

The Wraith are NOT the all powerful ememy who defeated the Ancients. The is a formidable and frightening enemy that the Ancients encountered and were fighting for ther very existance with. Almost evenly matched that enemy resorted to biological warfare as a means to elimate Ancients and reducing the risk to itself by avoiding physical battles. Thus they developed and unleashed a deadly virus. The same virus that inflicted the Ancient woman found in the ice by SG1. With no way to cure themselves or escape the virus they focused on the only way for their race to survive and that is it ascend. Now how does one ascend? This is where the Wraith come in. We all know that they have the supernatural abilitly to extract a life force from its body and life force is just energy, right?? The Wraith were originally a race of benign creature who live on that planet with the energy flucuations where the SGA team thought they returned to earth although at that time they were not just energy but physical beings with bodies (I will call them energy beings). OK...with me still? Working with the Ancients (via the experiments we know that they were conducting epi - hide and seek) they developed a way to channel the Ancients life force into an energy state and thus escaping their virus infected bodies. Only the virus did not affect the energy beings in the same way it affected humans by killing them. It drove them insane and made them evil and into the Wraiths that we see today with that same ability of harvesting the life force from humans, but instead of passing/conducting it along into the ascended plane that absorb it into themselves to strengthen their own lives. THe engery beings on that planet were the ones that escaped the virus by transferring their life force to an energy state. The Ancients that had not had a chance to ascend and were not affected by the virus could only flee back to earth or hide out in the Pegasus Galaxy. The real mean enemy went off to recover and strengthen as it was severly decimated by the Ancients and figured that the Ancients would be too busy dealing with the wraith who were now after them. focus Now if this theory works it could mean several interesting things...

1. The energy beings on that planet are related to the Wraiths.
2. There is a even greater enemy out there building up strength again (by now probably already has)after being decimated by the Ancients.
3. An antivirus might be possible to get the Wraith on our side when the real meanies enter the picture.
4. There may be a way to reach or contact the Ascended plain so we could communicate with the ancients and perhaps get Dr. Jacksons clothes back for him.
5. Wraith are related to the energy beings so Zats are useless. That is why the Ancients don't have any.
6. Also answers the question of what did the Wraith eat before Humans. Nothing. They were the energy beings did not exist in Wraith form until they were affected by the virus that killed the humans and forced them to ascend.
7. Why are there so many humans in the Pegasus galaxy if they all ascended or returned to earth? Because the real enemy was decimated took off to recover one they realized that the Ancients would be destroyed by the Wraith only the Humans did not have a chance to ascend before the energy beings transformed into Wraith were forced to hide out in Pegasus because Atlantis was sunk and the Gate not accessable.

I think I am thinking to much now....what other questions are there?

AmyE
September 16th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Just though of another interesting dilemma to go with the post above...
.Spolier
SPOILER Highlight below to read...

We promised that we would never return to that planet with the energy beings....hmmmmm