X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The First Strike.. a mistake?

I was wondering what people think about last season's finale
    was striking first the right thing to do?

personally, I think it was a mistake
    if the replicators can build ships so fast whats to stop them from building more ships in a couple of weeks?
    but this was to be expected from the military, who time and again shown they can't think more than one step ahead
    I think they should have put all their efforts to finishing the anti-replicator satelite like Rodney suggested.

I find the most interesting thing about this ep was all the civilians picked the same side and the military the other. I wonder how situations like this will play next season when the military will be in control.

so who do you think was right?
    Rodney Radek and Elizabeth
    or Sheppard and Ellis ???

and what do you suppose Carter would have thought about all this?

I think it was the right move, the fleet could of attacked Earth at any time, atleast this strike will buy more time for R&D to finish the PWARW. If they build more ships, just rinse and repeat.

Comment

I agree. In the begining Rodney is teleported on the ship along with the chair from the briefing room, and in the next frames the chair is were it supposed to be. A teleport calculation error But other than that i didn't seen any mistakes in "First Strike".

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
        I think it was the right move, the fleet could of attacked Earth at any time, atleast this strike will buy more time for R&D to finish the PWARW. If they build more ships, just rinse and repeat.
        but next time they mgiht be ready with a hefty supply of drones to kick our ass out of the sky.
        for all we know, they might even consider it more urgent now and just double their efforts to build an armada and attack Earth even earlier than before ...

you know what they say.. you shouldn't wound what you can't kill

Comment

Still, that would be a better situation than them just attacking Earth there and then.

Comment

Still, that would be a better situation than them just attacking Earth there and then.
            not there and then, the ships weren't ready yet
            if the purpose of that attack was to buy time, I'd say it was badly planned
            not to mention next time even if we have the anti-replicator satelite we might not be able to get into position to use it before they blow us asunder

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
              not there and then, the ships weren't ready yet
              How do you know that? And even if they weren't, who to say that they would be any time soon, for all we know, the Asurans could have been planning to send their ships an hour after the first strike.

if the purpose of that attack was to buy time, I'd say it was badly planned
              not to mention next time even if we have the anti-replicator satelite we might not be able to get into position to use it before they blow us asunder
              Who's to say they're even capable of that?

Comment

How do you know that? And even if they weren't, who to say that they would be any time soon, for all we know, the Asurans could have been planning to send their ships an hour after the first strike.
                ok so we agree that we didn't know when they were going to attack
                but we sure do know when they're going to attack now.. asap.
                Who's to say they're even capable of that?
                it's a fair assessment based on what they did in the finale

Comment

Heaven, what alternative do you suggest to the "First Strike" attack?

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
                    ok so we agree that we didn't know when they were going to attack
                    but we sure do know when they're going to attack now.. asap.

it's a fair assessment based on what they did in the finale
                    Why? The Apollo withstood the beam for easily enough time to activate the PWARW if they had one. Drop out of hyperspace over the Asuran planet, activate the PWARW, job done and home for supper

Comment

I concur, they should've waited until the Anti-Repl. weapon was finished. That way they could clean the entire planet of the Azurans and claim the planet's technology - flying cities, ZPMs, Battleships, etc.. - as their own. It would've greatly improved the war efforts of the SGA against the Wraith.

In case the Asurans would've launched, it's likely that the weapon would've been finished by the time they reached Earth. In that case, the SGC would've simply fired the anti-repl. weapons and still would've had the ships.

And if the weapon wasn't ready: The Chair was powered and they have the power to phase the planet. They could simply launch the drones with a "search and destroy" command or equip them with anti-repl. technology and then phase the planet until they weapon was ready after which they could've attacked the Asurans and still claimed the ships.
                      Signed,

Gregorius
                      Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                      Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by elbo View Post
                        Heaven, what alternative do you suggest to the "First Strike" attack?
                        As I said in the first post, I support Rodney's Idea to put extra effort into the PWARWs. maybe even ask the asgard for one (if they're still around in that timeline).
                        I think putting McKay Carter and Zalenka together to work at area 51 the second they detected the Asurans were building ships would have been far more prudent than waiting two weeks for the Apollo to get to Pegasus and nuke them.

Comment

Why? The Apollo withstood the beam for easily enough time to activate the PWARW if they had one. Drop out of hyperspace over the Asuran planet, activate the PWARW, job done and home for supper
                          You forget the "Beam down to the planet and get all the ZPMs and other tech you can find" part before heading home for supper.
                          Signed,

Gregorius
                          Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                          Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
                            I concur, they should've waited until the Anti-Repl. weapon was finished. That way they could clean the entire planet of the Azurans and claim the planet's technology - flying cities, ZPMs, Battleships, etc.. - as their own. It would've greatly improved the war efforts of the SGA against the Wraith.

In case the Asurans would've launched, it's likely that the weapon would've been finished by the time they reached Earth. In that case, the SGC would've simply fired the anti-repl. weapons and still would've had the ships.
                            There's no reason to assume the weapon would have been ready in time, it probably only takes a few days for the Asurans to get to Earth.

And if the weapon wasn't ready: The Chair was powered and they have the power to phase the planet. They could simply launch the drones with a "search and destroy" command or equip them with anti-repl. technology and then phase the planet until they weapon was ready after which they could've attacked the Asurans and still claimed the ships.
                            If they phase shifted the planet, the drones, and anything else on the planet would be out of phase, they'd be cut off. Also I think the population of the Earth might notice

Comment

who's to say there will be just one beam waiting for them?
                              there can even be a fleet waiting in space with a gazillion of drones ready to obliterate them the second they come out of hyperspace.

Comment

Working...
                              X