X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the Music of the movies

from the robert cooper interview

Will Joel [Goldsmith, composer] be getting a budget for an orchestra?

RCC: We've included a certain amount of money for some orchestral score, yeah. Joel has a way of making everything sound orchestral, but yeah. It's a huge deal for us to make sure. Everywhere we can, with the money we've been given, we're trying to make these as spectacular as we can.

At the end of the day, they're still TV movies. These are not $80 million features and we can't even begin to compete with those. But compared to the series, compared to a double episode like "Lost City," we're hoping they look spectacular.
    yay we're getting good music

i'm hoping for a big score for both movies

Other than innappropriate re-uses of themes (Using the Genii theme for a general suspense cue, etc) I have always been more than happy with the Stargate music Joel delivers. I think it's feature-film quality. He is definitly his father's son.
    Sign the Petition to get the SG-1 Complete Series Bonus Discs released separately!
    http://www.petitiononline.com/SG1CSBD/petition.html

Comment

I'm an F hornist, and if I didn't adore the Goldsmiths, it would be criminal.

Go pick up Jerry's score to The Final Conflict. It is amazing!!

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

What's an F hornist?

Comment

A French Horn player, perhaps?

I don't know; just guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
            What's an F hornist?
            F hornists play the F horn. Or "horn in F". People know it as a "French horn", but that title is incorrect. It is by no means an aversion to the word French... there was an annoying period of here in the states where, for stupid reasons, people replaced the word "French" with "freedom" LOL!

French horn just isn't the name of the instrument. There are a few theories of how it became called such. I bet the wikipedia article has something on it.

Comment

It was to do with anti French sentiment, it happened to the Germans during the war too. Frankfurters were renamed hot dogs, weird.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                It was to do with anti French sentiment, it happened to the Germans during the war too. Frankfurters were renamed hot dogs, weird.
                Yeah, it was weird here in the states too. I think most of the rest of the world thought we were all into it, but that was a minority who was just louder the everyone else.

It started out as the Horn in F, or just "horn". There are a few stories of how it became called, in vernacular, the French horn. One rumor is that there was a professional horn ensemble from France that was really really good, and people went "Wow, did you hear those French horns?" When a person played very well, folks went "Wow, you sounded like a French hornist!" Over the years, that just entered instrument lingo. But in reality, it's just the F Horn. Also, since it's in the key of "F", it's easy to think that the F in F Horn stands for "French", when it only refers to the key the instrument is in. Nothing at all, to do with anything anti-French.
                Last edited by any_gopher; 11 July 2007, 04:13 PM. Reason: I took what someone said in the wrong context

Comment

I meant the French/freedom thing

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                    I meant the French/freedom thing
                    Yeah, I gotcha. While you were replying, I was editing my post because I realized that :-D. Silly me!!

Comment

Working...
                    X