This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cell phone reception in pegasus

Bear with me here, I know it's an odd question but.

Let's say for this moment the SGC has a ZPM installed and can dial Atlantis whenever they want.

We know from "200" that you can get cell reception inside the SGC.

If you were to take your powered up Cell phone with a full signal rating in the gate room through the gate to Atlantis, would you have cell reception in the Pegasus Galaxy.

And would you be roaming?

It might be possible, however it's unnessessary and a security risk. You can put more stuff to a databurst message than a live phonecall.

Comment

Yes, Provided the gate allows two-way transmission of microwave radiation (A reasonable assumption, but they only ever said 'radio waves' in the show, and cellphones use microwaves*)

AND so long as the gate is active. Which would still limit you to a 38-minute phonecall. Not to mention the power requirements for keeping the gate open to just make a phonecall! (Imagine the service fee for THAT service!)

* Not microwave ovens, microwave frequency radiation!

Comment

Originally posted by Arania View Post
        Yes, Provided the gate allows two-way transmission of microwave radiation (A reasonable assumption, but they only ever said 'radio waves' in the show, and cellphones use microwaves*)

AND so long as the gate is active. Which would still limit you to a 38-minute phonecall. Not to mention the power requirements for keeping the gate open to just make a phonecall! (Imagine the service fee for THAT service!)

* Not microwave ovens, microwave frequency radiation!
        I believe the wormhole is two way for anything but matter. We've seen other forms of EM radiation, and even gravity travel through an outgoing wormhole. So I'm positive microwave radiation would work.
        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

It would work, but it would make more sense to go through the gate to earth, make the phonecall, then go back to pegasus again. (it would probably use less power)

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom6 View Post
            And would you be roaming?
            No, you wouldnt be roaming becasue the cell phone would be connected to a tower in Chyenne.

It could work but (like everyne else said) it will be very incnvient and the power would be enoromous.
            Company of Thieves

Daniel: You might want to prepare to return fire.

Marks: For the record, Im always prepared. I just have to push this button.

Comment

But imagine the bragging rights.

"yeah, my Nokia gets reception a few galaxies away."

Comment

Cell Phone Vs Mobile Phone

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

A microSD card with a subspace transmitter would be soo much cooler, imagine getting reception on Abydos and still pay less than when you were in Europe!

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom6 View Post
                    We know from "200" that you can get cell reception inside the SGC.
                    oooh thats a blunder by the writers.

Comment

yea seriously I JUST bought a new cell phone and love it but tell me where I can buy one that gets reception 30 floors underground and I"ll buy it in a heartbeat.
                      www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Originally posted by Londo Molari View Post
                        oooh thats a blunder by the writers.
                        Not really. You'd simply have to have a relay mast in the SGC. I'm sure the American Air Force can afford to do that, right? Especially seeing as the Cheyenne Mountain Complex is a top secret base!
                        We need a Zed-P-Em to power the gate!

Comment

Originally posted by LanteanAndy View Post
                          Not really. You'd simply have to have a relay mast in the SGC. I'm sure the American Air Force can afford to do that, right? Especially seeing as the Cheyenne Mountain Complex is a top secret base!
                          of course, but the point is that they didn't say that, they just did it.
                          www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post
                            of course, but the point is that they didn't say that, they just did it.
                            How are they supposed to put that in script?

Jack: Hey, Teal'c, look! Cell phone reception!

Teal'c: Indeed! It was installed just this morning!
                            We need a Zed-P-Em to power the gate!

Comment

You don't even need a relay mast.

My company's got a contract with Sprint, so they installed a booster box inside my building. When I'm inside the shielded building, I get full signal. but when I step oustide the building, my signal drops to 2 bars.

Comment

Working...
                              X