X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG1 - TV Guide Online: SG1 listed in Top 30 Cult TV Shows

From TV Guide Online:

http://www.tvguide.com/news/top-cult-shows/070629-01

(Please follow the link for the complete article and list.)

Friday, June 29, 2007

TV Guide Names the Top Cult Shows Ever

Three years ago, TV Guide dared to compile a list of the Top 25 Cult Shows Ever, a veritable who's who of programs that got people talking — and in many cases still had them talking long after the final episode aired. The litmus tests were many. These are the types of shows that make normal folk Romulan-fluent, series that inspire what can only be called worship. The faithful collect everything from action figures (and perhaps way too many of them) to yellowing scripts obtained by any means necessary. They attend conventions in fangs or blue skin or with Hurley's numbers tattooed in disturbing places.

**snippage**

Without further adieu (and reluctant to drop too many deserving names from the list), TV Guide presents the Top 30 Cult Shows Ever, a "best of" that is sure to ignite conversation and debate — both of which we encourage at this Top Cult Shows blog set up just for the occasion.

*Denotes newcomer to the list

30) Strangers with Candy (1999-2000)*
    29) Absolutely Fabulous (1994-2003)
    28) Stargate SG-1 (1997-2007)*
    25) Firefly (2002-2003)*
    22) Doctor Who (1963-present)
    16) Babylon 5 (1994-1998)
    14) Battlestar Galactica (2003-present)*
    11) Jericho (2006-present)*
    5) Lost (2004-present)*
    4) Farscape (1999-2003)
    3) Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997-2003)
    2) The X-Files (1993-2002)
    1) Star Trek (1966-1969)

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

How the f*** did they only get to 28?

How did Jericho get to 11?
    sigpic
    Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post

Yeah, there are a couple of other pecularities as well....
      Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
      Yes, I am!
      sigpic
      Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
      Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Jericho is excellent! But Stargate should have been in the top 10 IMO!

Comment

Dude. Simpsons and Family Guy? Maybe the hardcore fans are "cultish" because they can name every episode, but those 'toons are waaaay too mainstream, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
            Dude. Simpsons and Family Guy? Maybe the hardcore fans are "cultish" because they can name every episode, but those 'toons are waaaay too mainstream, imo.

I can see The Simpson's being "cultish" in a way, it started on The Tracey Ullman Show. I knew people who watched, not for her, but for about the 5 min. short of them. Not me, I watched both.

I can't say about Family Guy, never watched it.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix View Post
              I can see The Simpson's being "cultish" in a way, it started on The Tracey Ullman Show. I knew people who watched, not for her, but for about the 5 min. short of them. Not me, I watched both.

I can't say about Family Guy, never watched it.
              That's true. It was a cult in the beginning. But now? I remember in high school when it was trendy to be able to quote Homer and Ralph on a regular basis. Or maybe it was just the theatre kids...

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                That's true. It was a cult in the beginning. But now? I remember in high school when it was trendy to be able to quote Homer and Ralph on a regular basis. Or maybe it was just the theatre kids...

Try being a fan of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix View Post
                  Try being a fan of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
                  lol! That too.

(though that's one aspect of cult entertainment that I've avoided...)

Comment

The Question you should ask is how did the overrated BSG get to 14th?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
                      From TV Guide Online:

http://www.tvguide.com/news/top-cult-shows/070629-01

(Please follow the link for the complete article and list.)

Friday, June 29, 2007

TV Guide Names the Top Cult Shows Ever

Three years ago, TV Guide dared to compile a list of the Top 25 Cult Shows Ever, a veritable who's who of programs that got people talking — and in many cases still had them talking long after the final episode aired. The litmus tests were many. These are the types of shows that make normal folk Romulan-fluent, series that inspire what can only be called worship. The faithful collect everything from action figures (and perhaps way too many of them) to yellowing scripts obtained by any means necessary. They attend conventions in fangs or blue skin or with Hurley's numbers tattooed in disturbing places.

**snippage**

Without further adieu (and reluctant to drop too many deserving names from the list), TV Guide presents the Top 30 Cult Shows Ever, a "best of" that is sure to ignite conversation and debate — both of which we encourage at this Top Cult Shows blog set up just for the occasion.

*Denotes newcomer to the list

30) Strangers with Candy (1999-2000)*
                      29) Absolutely Fabulous (1994-2003)
                      28) Stargate SG-1 (1997-2007)*
                      25) Firefly (2002-2003)*
                      22) Doctor Who (1963-present)
                      16) Babylon 5 (1994-1998)
                      14) Battlestar Galactica (2003-present)*
                      11) Jericho (2006-present)*
                      5) Lost (2004-present)*
                      4) Farscape (1999-2003)
                      3) Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997-2003)
                      2) The X-Files (1993-2002)
                      1) Star Trek (1966-1969)
                      Well given this is American... it is right? I am not suprised Doctor Who is where it is. And again not suprised ST is where it is.

Ooh I love "Strangers with candy" I am always suprised when I come across folks who have watched it, and admit to it.

No Arressted Development? But LOST??!&%^(% *pfft*

Oh yay HR Puff 'n' Stuff! *shows her age*

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                        Well given this is American... it is right? I am not suprised Doctor Who is where it is. And again not suprised ST is where it is.

Ooh I love "Strangers with candy" I am always surprised when I come across folks who have watched it, and admit to it.

No Arressted Development? But LOST??!&%^(% *pfft*

Oh yay HR Puff 'n' Stuff! *shows her age*
                        Well, TV Guide is an American magazine talking to an American set of readers. And unless you want to pay for BBC America, many Americans like myself don't get Doctor Who (and with the SciFi channel now digital and not part of a basic cable package, even reruns there don't help much).

And Lost is available on ABC, which is a channel everyone gets and thus has a wider group of viewers than Arrested Development, which is a highly under-advertised show that airs on HBO, another expensive add-on to basic cable.

Not to mention that Battlestar Galactica (which I loathe) gets huge amounts of publicity here in the states and the Gates, Farscape, Firefly, and Jericho, while all IMO much better shows, get next to nothing. The one sci-fi show to ever really hit the jackpot in this country was Star Trek, so I'm not surprised to still see it in the number one slot.
                        sigpic

Comment

Well, Firefly and Farscape have all ended years ago.

And quite interesting - both shows had very small and limited exposure, and yet Firefly is at #25 (which seems justified to me) while Farscape is.... #4? It was never that big!
                          Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                          Yes, I am!
                          sigpic
                          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                          Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

As a huge Farscape fan, I'm glad it came in as high as it did at #4. But IMO, SG-1 should have been ranked much better than #28.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by RoryJ View Post

And Lost is available on ABC, which is a channel everyone gets and thus has a wider group of viewers than Arrested Development, which is a highly under-advertised show that airs on HBO, another expensive add-on to basic cable.

Arrested Development was on FOX

Comment

Working...
                              X