PDA

View Full Version : SGA season 4 takes place after The Ark and Continuum?

SpyDude
June 28th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I was just wondering about the timeline. As Carter is coming to Atlantis in season 4 the two SG-1 movies have to take place before that, right? Or will a whole year pass between 'Unending' & 'The Ark off Truth' (Carter stays one year in Atlantis and then goes back to fight the Ori)?
If the movies take place before season 4 of SGA then it's going to be a bit weird because we're getting the movies in 2008 and season 4 starts this fall.

Alissa
June 28th, 2007, 02:23 PM
As far as I know Mallozzi once said, that the movies are not connected to the whole Stargate storyline, so it does not matter when or where the movies take place.

SpyDude
June 28th, 2007, 02:27 PM
As far as I know Mallozzi once said, that the movies are not connected to the whole Stargate storyline, so it does not matter when or where the movies take place.

Well, it has to be conencted to the storylin because we know that Carter will stay in Atlantis for at least a year. Just want to know if the movies pick up right after the SG-1 finale or after season 4 of Altantis.

Alissa
June 28th, 2007, 02:29 PM
I think it picks up right after Unending, because they are still trying to defeat the Ori in "The ark of truth".

prion
June 28th, 2007, 03:16 PM
I think it picks up right after Unending, because they are still trying to defeat the Ori in "The ark of truth".

Er, uh, Continuum (the non time-travel one) is the follow-up to the Ori thread. Ark of Truth is the stand-alone time travel one in the ice. So one would think that Sam would be off with SG1 dealing with the Ori, rather than hanging around in the Pegasus galaxy....

PG15
June 28th, 2007, 03:18 PM
^I think you got that backwards buddy. The Ark of Truth is the thing that's going to brainwash the Ori followers into not killing us

sarkaar
June 28th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Er, uh, Continuum (the non time-travel one) is the follow-up to the Ori thread. Ark of Truth is the stand-alone time travel one in the ice. So one would think that Sam would be off with SG1 dealing with the Ori, rather than hanging around in the Pegasus galaxy....

Dude you're a bit confused

http://www.gateworld.net/movies/02.shtml

http://www.gateworld.net/movies/03.shtml

You got the two movies mixed up.

:jack:

Mitchell82
June 28th, 2007, 08:29 PM

Sorry prion you've got it backwards. And yes they take place before season 4 and it follows the SG-1 storyline but seperate from SGA. It was orriginally intended to release in the fall along with season 4 but fox decided differently. SO don't be confused just look at them as seperate.

Briangate78
June 29th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Well Ark of Truth should happen time wise right after "Unending" Continuum is a stand alone movie, can happen whenever. Also its a time travel episode so....... that should speak for itself. :p

I think we are a bit confused..

Ark of Truth is about the Ori story Arc

and

Continuum is about time travel and a stand alone movie.

Hmmm wonder what the third movie will be about? I am hoping something related to The Asgard Legacy! :)

g.o.d
June 29th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Season 10 = Season 3 SGA
->
Ark of Truth
->
Season 4 SGA

Continuum is a separate story and it's not related to this timeline because of that "time travel" thing

Mitchell82
June 29th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Well Ark of Truth should happen time wise right after "Unending" Continuum is a stand alone movie, can happen whenever. Also its a time travel episode so....... that should speak for itself. :p

I think we are a bit confused..

Ark of Truth is about the Ori story Arc

and

Continuum is about time travel and a stand alone movie.

Hmmm wonder what the third movie will be about? I am hoping something related to The Asgard Legacy! :)

Agreed, as to the third movie either that or an Ascen story. Perhaps the story that was scrapped.

scifi_lemon
June 29th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Agreed, as to the third movie either that or an Ascen story. Perhaps the story that was scrapped.

I'd like to see something more with the Ancients. I wonder if they'll end up interfereing in the Ark of Truth because we have the San Grail. I know I'd be worried if I was them ;)

An Asgard story would be awesome as well. I was a bit upset at how they totally downplayed the Asgard suicide :(

Mitchell82
June 30th, 2007, 04:23 PM
I'd like to see something more with the Ancients. I wonder if they'll end up interfereing in the Ark of Truth because we have the San Grail. I know I'd be worried if I was them ;)
WellYou do know that Sarah Strange (Morgan La Fay) will be in Ark so it's highly possible since Morena Baccrain (Adria) will also be there.

An Asgard story would be awesome as well. I was a bit upset at how they totally downplayed the Asgard suicide :(

Well I think it was quite fitting and I doubt they will bring them back. What about the Ascen, would you like that plot revisited?

scifi_lemon
June 30th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Well I think it was quite fitting and I doubt they will bring them back. What about the Ascen, would you like that plot revisited?

Those are the people from 2010 right? It'd be interesting to see more of them. Didn't they have a mini empire in the galaxy? With all of the tech we have now I wonder what a space battle would be like against them.

Mitchell82
June 30th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Those are the people from 2010 right? It'd be interesting to see more of them. Didn't they have a mini empire in the galaxy? With all of the tech we have now I wonder what a space battle would be like against them.

Yup and 2001. I forget who it was now but one of the writers wanted to do another ep but it got scrapped.

scifi_lemon
June 30th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Yup and 2001. I forget who it was now but one of the writers wanted to do another ep but it got scrapped.

That bites. They were actually pretty interesting bad guys. A nice mix of the Genii and Goa'uld.

^That made me think about what if Kolya got implanted with a Goa'uld?? The would be one bad dude ;)

the fifth man
June 30th, 2007, 06:42 PM
If there are more SG-1 movies besides these first two, and Carter remains on SGA, I'm sure TPTB will try and tie events into one another. Maybe make them easier to follow (you know, what happened when).

Mitchell82
July 1st, 2007, 05:52 PM
That bites. They were actually pretty interesting bad guys. A nice mix of the Genii and Goa'uld.

^That made me think about what if Kolya got implanted with a Goa'uld?? The would be one bad dude ;)

Oh my, that would be bad.

techjunkie
July 2nd, 2007, 01:54 AM
Actually, both exist outside of continutity - and the have not yet decided 'when' they take place. Ark of Truth appears to take place immediately following S10 fo SG-1. Continuum is not in any current timeline.

Check out the video interviews here: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=45216

Tech Junkie

prion
July 2nd, 2007, 03:47 AM
Sorry prion you've got it backwards. And yes they take place before season 4 and it follows the SG-1 storyline but seperate from SGA. It was orriginally intended to release in the fall along with season 4 but fox decided differently. SO don't be confused just look at them as seperate.

Can you point toward the interview/etc where it's stated that these movies take place before season 4?

Mitchell82
July 2nd, 2007, 02:25 PM
Can you point toward the interview/etc where it's stated that these movies take place before season 4?

It was never specifically stated but what was confirmed is that Ark takes place right after Unending and Continuium picks up after that and is where Sam gets promoted. I can't pinpoint where I saw that I think JM's blog.

freetoken
July 2nd, 2007, 03:53 PM
Agree that Continuum is not important wrt timeline in Atlantis; however, Ark of Truth is important.

Imagine the scene where Carter shows up to take command of Atlantis. In a normal conversation someone would ask So, how is the war with the Ori coming along? Certainly there are individuals in Atlantis who would be concerned about their families on Earth, etc. It strains credibility to believe no one would ask Carter about the war with the Ori.

So, if Ark of Truth supposedly takes place before the timeline of season 4 of Atlantis, how will the beans not be spilled?

prion
July 2nd, 2007, 05:12 PM
It was never specifically stated but what was confirmed is that Ark takes place right after Unending and Continuium picks up after that and is where Sam gets promoted. I can't pinpoint where I saw that I think JM's blog.

If you can find it, I'd appreciated it, as I looked and could not see any verification.

Agree that Continuum is not important wrt timeline in Atlantis; however, Ark of Truth is important.

Imagine the scene where Carter shows up to take command of Atlantis. In a normal conversation someone would ask So, how is the war with the Ori coming along? Certainly there are individuals in Atlantis who would be concerned about their families on Earth, etc. It strains credibility to believe no one would ask Carter about the war with the Ori.

So, if Ark of Truth supposedly takes place before the timeline of season 4 of Atlantis, how will the beans not be spilled?

Yup, people do just idly chitchat and you'd think if the Ori problem was solved by the time Sam reaches Atlantis, it would be mentioned, which in that case would sort be a spoiler for the movie, but then we all know SG1 will defeat the Ori in two hours (more or less) in one movie as they no longer can drag it out in a series.

But then I suppose it doesn't strain credibility anymore than that nobody mentioned Carson after he died. out of sight, out of mind ;)

jenks
July 3rd, 2007, 12:41 AM

Carter will be a Colonel for both movies.

Jen, the cow hugger writes: “Since Carter will be heading Atlantis, does this mean she was promoted to Colonel?”

Answer: She will be a Full Bird Colonel for both the movies and Atlantis‘s fourth season.

saberhagen83
July 3rd, 2007, 01:24 AM
I thought I read/heard somewhere that the movies doesn't really have to follow a specific timeline, but I am unsure about that. But wasn't it that Carter will leave Atlantis for a while and then return? Couldn't it possibly be that she goes back to SG1 for, at least, the 2nd movie? And the 1st movie is ment to be before the events of SGA S4? Cause it wouldn't make sense for her to leave SG1 in the middle of something...

I get confused about all this. It would make sense for the movies to air/be released before SGA S4 comes around. But as the movies won't be out untill next year I kind of feel that they are completely seperate from the SGA timeline, which makes it even more headspinning for me. :D It wouldn't really matter if Carter wasn't gonna be on SGA, but since she is, the movies and SGA S4 timelines seem to be a bit seperate. But the 1st movie must be set before SGA S4 as she will be promoted to Colonel there, or she is between the last ep and the movie?

jenks
July 3rd, 2007, 02:03 AM
From what TPTB have been saying, I get the impression that The Ark Of Truth will be set before season 4, and as for Continuum I don't think they've decided yet. I've asked Mallozzi about when they're set but got no reply.

elbo
July 3rd, 2007, 02:37 AM
Yes sure, it seems logical to close the Ori arc before Carter came to Atlantis (S4). As for the other SG-1 movie we can't be sure.

Adria
July 3rd, 2007, 03:41 AM
it would make sense i mean carter can't go from pegasus back to the sgc go throught the big adaventures and come back ......

prion
July 3rd, 2007, 04:56 AM
Carter will be a Colonel for both movies.

Jen, the cow hugger writes: “Since Carter will be heading Atlantis, does this mean she was promoted to Colonel?”

Answer: She will be a Full Bird Colonel for both the movies and Atlantis‘s fourth season.

So aparently they promoted her during hiatus, but it still doesn't detail which comes first, the movies or season 4.

PG15
July 3rd, 2007, 03:43 PM
And we have confirmation:

Gilles Nuytens: The two Stargate movies that you just finished shooting, in the timeline do they take place before Sam goes to Atlantis or …

Amanda Tapping: Yeah that’s a good question because we talked about that do they run concurrent timelines. Is the Atlantis timeline exactly in line with the SG1 timeline. The producers have decided they are not concurrent timelines but definitely these two movies happen before Sam goes to Atlantis.

http://www.thescifiworld.net/interviews/amanda_tapping_01.htm

prion
July 3rd, 2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Gilles Nuytens: The two Stargate movies that you just finished shooting, in the timeline do they take place before Sam goes to Atlantis or …

Amanda Tapping: Yeah that’s a good question because we talked about that do they run concurrent timelines. Is the Atlantis timeline exactly in line with the SG1 timeline. The producers have decided they are not concurrent timelines but definitely these two movies happen before Sam goes to Atlantis.

Thanks for finding the quote. I don't think Mallozzi said it in his blog.

So, the movies will be out-of-date before they hit the stores?? ;) Ah, typical marketing.

Amaunet
July 3rd, 2007, 11:25 PM
Thanks PG15…that question has been bugging me for months! :D

Mitchell82
July 4th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Thanks for finding the quote. I don't think Mallozzi said it in his blog.

So, the movies will be out-of-date before they hit the stores?? ;) Ah, typical marketing.

Good idea lets blame fox. It's not like they never make blunders.;)

saberhagen83
July 5th, 2007, 01:14 AM

Thanks for this. It's nice to know exactly how the movies will fit into the timeline, even though they will be released a bit...late. ;)

Adria
July 5th, 2007, 06:45 PM

:cool: go amanda

gopher65
July 7th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Why is Fox even the one to be distributing this movie? What have they ever had to do with Stargate? Did they distribute the original movie or something?

The very fact that they are involved in this is making me seriously consider not purchasing these movies just on general principle. I hate News Corp.

Beckmen
July 7th, 2007, 12:29 PM
This was kind of to be expected. It's perfectly logical that the writers and producers intended for the movies to take place before season 4 of Atlantis, because Atlantis usually airs later in the year. They assumed that the movies would hit the shelves before 401 of Atlantis airs. But then 401 was move up, and AOT was moved back...kind of throwing a wrench in the plans. Hopefully they cut any Ori referances from Atlantis, and just leave them in for the DVD versions. If not...well, we know the Ori threat will be eliminated, and Carter will not be killed...so even if there is some line or lines, it won't be the end of the world. Unless they give away some plot twist planned for the movie or something, but I doubt it.

gopher65
July 7th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Unless they give away some plot twist planned for the movie or something, but I doubt it.
I doubt it too because even if the movies had been released just before Season 4 of Atlantis like they planned, not everyone would necessarily go out and buy them right away. So they wouldn't want to give the plot away and then prey that everyone rushed out and bought the movies before they watched season 4:).

Of course, there will be a few spoilers in season 4 just because we will know Carter survives the movies. But we knew that anyway. And I doubt anyone watching the movies will be under the impression that Carter is going to die in any case;). Or that the good guys are going to lose.

YodaMate
July 7th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Why is Fox even the one to be distributing this movie? What have they ever had to do with Stargate? Did they distribute the original movie or something?

The very fact that they are involved in this is making me seriously consider not purchasing these movies just on general principle. I hate News Corp.

I appreciate how you feel about Fox in general, but the future of SG-1 movies is riding on the DVD sales. Plus, it's a bit wrong to decide not to buy the product of the cast and crew's hard (and apparently very cold) work just because you don't like the bloke selling the product.

Locutus_Of_Borg
July 7th, 2007, 10:48 PM
I want to learn more about the "Old Ancients" rather then the other "New Ancients"...like, back in the early days of SG-1 the Ancients were this wise but not perfect race, now since Atlantis we find out that they weren't perfect and they could be arrogant and made a lot of mistakes, that can be good and bad but I think we seem to be forgetting that the Ancients from the Milky Way galaxy and Pegasus Galaxy had thousands of years in between eachother. You don't start a civilisation of humans over night just with the flick of a switch (even if you do have a device like on Dacara), I just hope in the Arc Of Truth they seem a bit old fashioned and a bit wiser like we were lead to believe in the older eps. But then again there must of been a few million years difference between the Alterens and the Atlantians in Pegasus.

gopher65
July 8th, 2007, 07:31 AM
I appreciate how you feel about Fox in general, but the future of SG-1 movies is riding on the DVD sales. Plus, it's a bit wrong to decide not to buy the product of the cast and crew's hard (and apparently very cold) work just because you don't like the bloke selling the product.
Fox is a widely hated company. If they didn't want people to base their decision on that, then they shouldn't have chosen them as their distributor. There are plenty of other better companies out there that they could have picked, but nooooooo. They *had* to choose Fox.

jenks
July 8th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Fox is only the domestic distributor.

gopher65
July 8th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Fox is only the domestic distributor.
Good. Hopefully 'domestic' doesn't include Canada:). Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

wolverine_nl
July 22nd, 2007, 05:57 AM
I want to learn more about the "Old Ancients" rather then the other "New Ancients"...like, back in the early days of SG-1 the Ancients were this wise but not perfect race, now since Atlantis we find out that they weren't perfect and they could be arrogant and made a lot of mistakes, that can be good and bad but I think we seem to be forgetting that the Ancients from the Milky Way galaxy and Pegasus Galaxy had thousands of years in between eachother. You don't start a civilisation of humans over night just with the flick of a switch (even if you do have a device like on Dacara), I just hope in the Arc Of Truth they seem a bit old fashioned and a bit wiser like we were lead to believe in the older eps. But then again there must of been a few million years difference between the Alterens and the Atlantians in Pegasus.

Yes, this is what i am hoping as well.
But the Ancients that were part of the great alliance between the Nox, the Asgard and the Furlings could be the Lantean Ancients as well, 10 thousand years ago that alliance could have excisted, or the Asgard were also millions of years in development and had contact with the Ancients BEFORE they left to Pegasus.
Feels like a timeline error to me, if you know what i mean. The old Ancients who build Dakara, had a different style of building things, they looked more ancient than the stuff the Lanteans build.

I hope the movie contains Morgan la Fey and some elder Ascended Ancients, who are more wise than the Lantean Ancients.

Oreo
July 31st, 2007, 07:45 PM
I read an interview saying that they take place before season four. Which really pisses me off that they can't get the CGI down? What takes so long? If they need time then don't worry about the Atlantis episodes CGI, they won't be shown for months anyways.

PG15
July 31st, 2007, 07:55 PM
Just so you know, Atlantis premiers less than 59 days from now, so it's not that far away.

talyn2k1
July 31st, 2007, 11:47 PM
Yes, this is what i am hoping as well.
But the Ancients that were part of the great alliance between the Nox, the Asgard and the Furlings could be the Lantean Ancients as well, 10 thousand years ago that alliance could have excisted, or the Asgard were also millions of years in development and had contact with the Ancients BEFORE they left to Pegasus.
Feels like a timeline error to me, if you know what i mean. The old Ancients who build Dakara, had a different style of building things, they looked more ancient than the stuff the Lanteans build.

I hope the movie contains Morgan la Fey and some elder Ascended Ancients, who are more wise than the Lantean Ancients.

I was always under the impression that all the Ancient tech left behind in this galaxy (Dakara Device, WoO Time Machine, numerous ruins) were all left behind by the Lanteans that returned to Earth after abandoning Atlantis (a period hereafter referred to as post-PG).
This made sense to me as they would have limited resources, which would explain why most of their tech is contained in stone and rock formations as they didn't have the resources to make it all shiny - I believe shiny is the technical term :D

If they left all, or some, of this tech behind before Atlantis left Earth, then one has to wonder why it is not all shiny like Atlantis.
I believe the Ancient repositories are post-PG tech as they are a little shiny if slightly different in design to Atlantis tech and as the expanding-metal (or whatever they are made of) technology has not been seen in Atlantis, it may well have been developed post-PG.

Ganthet Jr.
August 1st, 2007, 04:44 AM
You know what sucks? Since both movies take place before SGA season 4, the movies will always be one year behind since Continuum doesn't come out until around the time SGA season 5 does. Unless they jump a year later.

But it's always going to be weird watching SGA season 4 knowing that events happened that we aren't able to see yet. It's a little annoying.

ccdsah
August 1st, 2007, 08:00 AM
You know what sucks? Since both movies take place before SGA season 4, the movies will always be one year behind since Continuum doesn't come out until around the time SGA season 5 does. Unless they jump a year later.

But it's always going to be weird watching SGA season 4 knowing that events happened that we aren't able to see yet. It's a little annoying.

Nope it doesn't matter! Ark of truth and Continuum could have been made 10 years from now and still be placed before S4 - like Lucas did with Starwars - a sort of prequel - granted the actors might have been a little older, but since the movies were shot during S4 my only problem is we'll have to wait so long for them!

jenks
August 1st, 2007, 08:56 AM
I was always under the impression that all the Ancient tech left behind in this galaxy (Dakara Device, WoO Time Machine, numerous ruins) were all left behind by the Lanteans that returned to Earth after abandoning Atlantis (a period hereafter referred to as post-PG).
This made sense to me as they would have limited resources, which would explain why most of their tech is contained in stone and rock formations as they didn't have the resources to make it all shiny - I believe shiny is the technical term :D

If they left all, or some, of this tech behind before Atlantis left Earth, then one has to wonder why it is not all shiny like Atlantis.
I believe the Ancient repositories are post-PG tech as they are a little shiny if slightly different in design to Atlantis tech and as the expanding-metal (or whatever they are made of) technology has not been seen in Atlantis, it may well have been developed post-PG.

Shiny doesn't = advanced. The Dakara device was definitely pre-PG, and neither was the outpost on Proclarush Taonas...

Ganthet Jr.
August 1st, 2007, 10:31 AM
Nope it doesn't matter! Ark of truth and Continuum could have been made 10 years from now and still be placed before S4 - like Lucas did with Starwars - a sort of prequel - granted the actors might have been a little older, but since the movies were shot during S4 my only problem is we'll have to wait so long for them!

You missed my point. My complaint is that since they're hoping to make movies every year, that each movie will always be a year behind the television series. I don't mind a movie being placed farther back than it was made, but this is going to possibly happen every year, which would mean that they can't do anything that would contradict the current year of television since the ramifications of said unreleased film would already have taken place. It limits what they can do.

If they do something HUGE in a film, they'd have to plan it out WAY ahead of time so that the ramifications would be seen in the year of television prior to the release of the film. If that's the case, however, we'd be spoiled as to what happened in the film itself. The only way they can really make it all even out is if the movie after Continuum jumps a year so it is concurrent with SGA and SGU.

ccdsah
August 1st, 2007, 11:02 AM
You missed my point. My complaint is that since they're hoping to make movies every year, that each movie will always be a year behind the television series. I don't mind a movie being placed farther back than it was made, but this is going to possibly happen every year, which would mean that they can't do anything that would contradict the current year of television since the ramifications of said unreleased film would already have taken place. It limits what they can do.

If they do something HUGE in a film, they'd have to plan it out WAY ahead of time so that the ramifications would be seen in the year of television prior to the release of the film. If that's the case, however, we'd be spoiled as to what happened in the film itself. The only way they can really make it all even out is if the movie after Continuum jumps a year so it is concurrent with SGA and SGU.

Not necesarily! They place a 2008 or 2009 or 2020 at the beginning of the film and they're off the hook!
For that matter they could make a prequel 5000 B.C. - leting us now how the original minus Daniel Sg-1 died in Ancient Egypt! It's fiction, they can pretty much do anything they want!

Ganthet Jr.
August 1st, 2007, 11:10 AM
Not necesarily! They place a 2008 or 2009 or 2020 at the beginning of the film and they're off the hook!
For that matter they could make a prequel 5000 B.C. - leting us now how the original minus Daniel Sg-1 died in Ancient Egypt! It's fiction, they can pretty much do anything they want!

Did you miss the part where I said "unless they jump a year"? Lol. By that I meant that they do just that, or something similar.