PDA

View Full Version : Do you think there will be a season 5 of Stargate Atlantis?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Briangate78
June 28th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Ok so the ratings for the finale came in, about 2 million viewers watched the Season finale of Stargate Atlantis on Friday June 22th 2007. Now even with the long hiatus between 1st and 2nd half, Major box office competition, and fans using alternate methods to watch, the show still managed to squeak by some of it's other show competitors like BSG in ratings.

Do you feel there is a good chance for a Season 5? Are you happy with the show direction and want the show have more seasons?

Discuss your pros and cons. Please keep it civil of course, a good debate and dicussion can change people's views of that they want.

Have Fun!

vaberella
June 28th, 2007, 08:52 AM
I say yes to all of the above questions. They've proven to beat the odds so to speak, especially under fire by irate fans. They appeal to a certain level of the masses which is enough to get them through S3 in the top 3-5 of scifi shows if not top 10, but never below that. I find that commendable on the part of the committment of the fans who will watch the show, and proof positive of the fan base that is loyal despite skiffy's changes and actually the changes that SGA has experienced.

In regards to S4, it is proving to be extremely interesting and I personally like what I've heard of all the eps that have been mentioned even if I have my concerns about a few, overall I can't wait to see what they have to offer us as viewers. If S4 lives up to the impressions I've been given, and counting the semi-success of S3, I think S5 has a strong chance. But then, I thought S5 always had a chance no matter what, if only to give SGA it's 100 eps to fall sort of in line with SG1.

But I think SGA might build on with a larger fanbase especially with the loss of SG1, and Carter's inception, but also with the future loss of BSG which may lead some viewers who are just supportive of "ship" shows to tune into SGA---as it will be the only show with "space battles" and "ships" on television to date.

JoNzA
June 28th, 2007, 09:39 AM
I say long live atlantis :D

I think that season 4 will deffenlity attract more viewers
it´s possible that it will be the best season so far :D

BeckettRulez
June 28th, 2007, 10:00 AM
We'll see, depends on season 4. If season 4 has to many (bad) changes, a lot of fans will stop watching.

ToasterOnFire
June 28th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Lots of people have already been talking about this topic in this thead. (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=43272&highlight=renewed) ;)

Renewal will depend on many factors that affect ratings, including whether fans stick around until the fall, whether Atlantis can survive without SG1, and how fans respond to the changes in s4.

It's all up in the air, but I won't be shocked if Atlantis is not renewed.

Blev08
June 28th, 2007, 10:15 AM
The only way I see SGA not continuing is if Sci-Fi finds an increadibly horrible time slot for it. I just can't see Sci-Fi channel without a Stargate series to be honest, and I would expect to see Atlantis around for a while yet.

Alissa
June 28th, 2007, 10:16 AM
It's all up in the air, but I won't be shocked if Atlantis is not renewed.

I won't be shocked too, if Atlantis is not renewed. The ratings before the final were just too bad and I think that when it comes down to cancelling the series only the third season is looked at. So the fourth season might be brilliant and still it might get cancelled.

sueKay
June 28th, 2007, 10:21 AM
At this stage, I honestly don't know...hopefully the writers have gotten their fingers out for s4.

ashman2
June 28th, 2007, 10:30 AM
I've been thinking about this a lot and I think there will be a season 5.

tar21
June 28th, 2007, 10:34 AM
this show will go beyond season 5.

Even though its a spinoff series, it's damn good. The franchise has yet to disintigrate in the same fashion that Star Trek did with DS9 onwards.

Alissa
June 28th, 2007, 10:37 AM
this show will go beyond season 5.

Even though its a spinoff series, it's damn good. The franchise has yet to disintigrate in the same fashion that Star Trek did with DS9 onwards.

I wished the renewal of a series was only up to how good it is, but the ratings are important and at the moment they are not as good as they are supposed to be.

If it was only up to how good the series is, then SG-1 would be still on air and some other series too.

Briangate78
June 28th, 2007, 11:05 AM
I am not just a Stargate fan I also watch BSG, Eureka, and The Dresden Files. Of course Stargate is my first choice. :p Comparing notes to all these shows, Atlantis still stands out as a major series to the network. If it was getting ratings like around a .08 or .09 for an average then I would agree season 4 could be the last. But when the season averages 2nd best in the network, come on. The BSG season finale only pulled in a 1.2! ECW for like the past 3 weeks has only gotten a 1.4!

Also remember...

Long Hiatus lost viewers
Long Hiatus caused people to view episode by other means
Major Box office competition
Entire ratings for all networks down, so all shows are effected

I don't know what else to say, I just think it's common sense to at least give SGA a 5th season.

vaberella
June 28th, 2007, 11:17 AM
I am not just a Stargate fan I also watch BSG, Eureka, and The Dresden Files. Of course Stargate is my first choice. :p Comparing notes to all these shows, Atlantis still stands out as a major series to the network. If it was getting ratings like around a .08 or .09 for an average then I would agree season 4 could be the last. But when the season averages 2nd best in the network, come on. The BSG season finale only pulled in a 1.2! ECW for like the past 3 weeks has only gotten a 1.4!
Also remember...

Long Hiatus lost viewers
Long Hiatus caused people to view episode by other means
Major Box office competition
Entire ratings for all networks down, so all shows are effected

I don't know what else to say, I just think it's common sense to at least give SGA a 5th season.
I agree with you whole heartedly, that's why I was surprised by the poster who said the ratings were too low. They were low on average but JM said continously that they're low all round. ECW was in the 2.0+ bracket and was pushed down to 1.4-1.6 that says a lot. So to see, as I mentioned in my earlier post that SGA was on average at around a 1.3 especially taking into consideration what's listed above---to still make it in the top 10 scifi shows if not the top 3. To take it one step further probably no.1 on many occasions if we take away the lame ass scifi films that air---the show will continue on. It actually did well this season. Not as it could, but the many variables with low advertisement, lack of reruns on scifi, and with the long ass hiatus...SGA did pretty remarkably.

All in all I think it merits a S5, and I do think they'll get it.

By the way if I have to admit fangirl association to any show---other than Ugly Betty it will have to be Eureka. I adore that show!! :D

Briangate78
June 28th, 2007, 11:45 AM
I agree with you whole heartedly, that's why I was surprised by the poster who said the ratings were too low. They were low on average but JM said continously that they're low all round. ECW was in the 2.0+ bracket and was pushed down to 1.4-1.6 that says a lot. So to see, as I mentioned in my earlier post that SGA was on average at around a 1.3 especially taking into consideration what's listed above---to still make it in the top 10 scifi shows if not the top 3. To take it one step further probably no.1 on many occasions if we take away the lame ass scifi films that air---the show will continue on. It actually did well this season. Not as it could, but the many variables with low advertisement, lack of reruns on scifi, and with the long ass hiatus...SGA did pretty remarkably.

All in all I think it merits a S5, and I do think they'll get it.

By the way if I have to admit fangirl association to any show---other than Ugly Betty it will have to be Eureka. I adore that show!! :D

As much as I love Eureka, I do not see it getting higher than a 1.5 average next season. I don't want to give people false hope who want a 5th season, but look at the statistics and just common sense. It was expensive to run two Stargate shows, now with only one left, Cost of production is cut in half if not even more. So with COP down, ratings can fall a little bit.

Mitchell82
June 28th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Ok so the ratings for the finale came in, about 2 million viewers watched the Season finale of Stargate Atlantis on Friday June 22th 2007. Now even with the long hiatus between 1st and 2nd half, Major box office competition, and fans using alternate methods to watch, the show still managed to squeak by some of it's other show competitors like BSG in ratings.

Do you feel there is a good chance for a Season 5? Are you happy with the show direction and want the show have more seasons?

Discuss your pros and cons. Please keep it civil of course, a good debate and dicussion can change people's views of that they want.

Have Fun!

Yes to all. I think that season five is a strong posibility and I am definatly pleased with the current direction.

Linda06
June 28th, 2007, 01:01 PM
I sure hope it gets alot more than 4 seasons,it's one of the best Sci-fi shows on the telly now,i never watch episodes on the net,i wait till it's on Sky to watch it but the only problem is they don't take into account the viewing figures in the U.K.it goes by the viewing figures in the U.S.

They're ain't so much Sci-fi shows on the telly now and it is my fave genre!

Team SG-1*save the show*
June 28th, 2007, 01:06 PM
i am hoping there will be a season five. i am still upset about SG-1 being cancelled (it would have been better if the writers/actors had decided to end it) and if Atlantis is taken from us too then i dont know what i will watch. All the good sci-fi shows have been killed off :(

I too watch stargate on sky one (and the repeats on sky one and two every day :) ) I wish they would take into account viewing figures from the UK and other countries!!!!

Alissa
June 28th, 2007, 01:06 PM
I also don't download the episodes, but I doubt that there are much more that don't do it.

Yes, that is really the problem. There are not a lot good science fiction series on air at the moment and almost all the good ones get cancelled.

And if it comes to the decision who is going to be cancelled and who not, only one country is counted, not all others.

JoNzA
June 28th, 2007, 01:10 PM
I hope they relese this season at the same time in the most contrys so no one can download.
moore seasons= very happy me :D

Alissa
June 28th, 2007, 01:16 PM
I hope they relese this season at the same time in the most contrys so no one can download.
moore seasons= very happy me :D

That is almost impossible. A lot countries prefer to have foreign series in their own languages, so all the episodes have to be translated and the new voices have to be put over the old ones.

Also it would take much longer for all the episodes to get released, because of the translating and if the translators are forced to hurry up everything is going to get more expensive.

JoNzA
June 28th, 2007, 01:23 PM
That is almost impossible. A lot countries prefer to have foreign series in their own languages, so all the episodes have to be translated and the new voices have to be put over the old ones.

Also it would take much longer for all the episodes to get released, because of the translating and if the translators are forced to hurry up everything is going to get more expensive.

yes but atleast Great Brittan, Canada and America at the same time

Alissa
June 28th, 2007, 01:27 PM
But what is the use of this? You speak of three countries, but there are a lot more that get Stargate and all of this people have to wait almost one year if not longer to get the newest season. So these people are still going to download the episodes somewhere, because they want to new episodes too and don't want to wait.

Linda06
June 28th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Don't they show it at the same time in the U.K. and the U.S. it's normally on around September/October time in Britain?

JoNzA
June 28th, 2007, 01:34 PM
I have no answer to that but IMO it would be great if no one downloaded

Linda06
June 28th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Does anyone know when the season 3 DVD boxset will be released,i'm downloading the whole season just now but that's only until i can get the DVD's!

Briangate78
June 28th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Would they really kill two Stargate series back to back? Remember last year they non-renewed SG-1. It would be around the same time this year they have to make decision for SGA.

ToasterOnFire
June 28th, 2007, 01:46 PM
I agree with you whole heartedly, that's why I was surprised by the poster who said the ratings were too low. They were low on average but JM said continously that they're low all round. ECW was in the 2.0+ bracket and was pushed down to 1.4-1.6 that says a lot.
The ratings do appear to be down for skiffy shows overall. However, as I've stated over in the ratings thread, the Stargates and BSG appear to have taken more of a ratings hit. Those three shows used to be at the top of skiffy's Top 10, at least until ECW came along. But now they're consistently displaced by skiffy Saturday movies and minseries and TV show reruns, which are generally cheaper for skiffy to air.

If this overall ratings slide had affected all shows similarly, then the ratings would have been down for everything but the order of the shows would have stayed the same. In other words, the Stargates and BSG should have stayed at the top or second after ECW. Since that's not the case, it points out that those shows have declined more in the ratings than can be explained away by an overall decrease in TV/network viewing.

ToasterOnFire
June 28th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Would they really kill two Stargate series back to back? Remember last year they non-renewed SG-1. It would be around the same time this year they have to make decision for SGA.
The bigger question is whether they would end BSG and cancel Atlantis in the same year...

Briangate78
June 28th, 2007, 01:49 PM
The bigger question is whether they would end BSG and cancel Atlantis in the same year...

Can you say network suicide? What else do they have ECW? :S

BTW, that was another pro for a season 5. That BSG was ending after 4. :p

Alissa
June 28th, 2007, 01:52 PM
If this overall ratings slide had affected all shows similarly, then the ratings would have been down for everything but the order of the shows would have stayed the same. In other words, the Stargates and BSG should have stayed at the top or second after ECW. Since that's not the case, it points out that those shows have declined more in the ratings than can be explained away by an overall decrease in TV/network viewing.

In my opinion this has happened because they tried to have original programming all year long and because of this the scifi friday had to die. When they made the decision to put at least Galactica into another timeslot they almost signed the death penalty for all three series. The series supported each other and were not able to live without the other one.

Briangate78
June 28th, 2007, 01:53 PM
The ratings do appear to be down for skiffy shows overall. However, as I've stated over in the ratings thread, the Stargates and BSG appear to have taken more of a ratings hit. Those three shows used to be at the top of skiffy's Top 10, at least until ECW came along. But now they're consistently displaced by skiffy Saturday movies and minseries and TV show reruns, which are generally cheaper for skiffy to air.

Well the first half of both gates this past season were neck and neck with ECW. Some weeks they beat out and hit the top spots and sometimes they were 2nd and 3rd place, which is still good. I still say the long hiatus hurt the gates. BSG had little if any hiatus and there ratings just fell. SG-1/SGA saw a jump back up in the mid-season premiere and the Season/Series finale.

Briangate78
June 28th, 2007, 01:54 PM
In my opinion this has happened because they tried to have original programming all year long and because of this the scifi friday had to die. When they made the decision to put at least Galactica into another timeslot they almost signed the death penalty for all three series. The series supported each other and were not able to live without the other one.

That was another big thing. They broke up BSG and Stargate. They were feeding off eachother. Now we got PKJ as an anchor. :S

Alissa
June 28th, 2007, 02:18 PM
That was another big thing. They broke up BSG and Stargate. They were feeding off eachother. Now we got PKJ as an anchor. :S

and Painkiller Jane has worse ratings than Stargate ever had, so it is not much of a support.

prion
June 28th, 2007, 03:14 PM

An anchor? You mean like the one you tie to someone and toss off a pier to drown 'em? ;)

Ruined_puzzle
June 28th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Can you say network suicide? What else do they have ECW? :S

Eureka, if I remember correctly its ratings were better than both SGA and SG1.

Briangate78
June 28th, 2007, 03:35 PM
An anchor? You mean like the one you tie to someone and toss off a pier to drown 'em? ;)

LOL, ok I can tell the fate of PKJ doesn't look good! LOL!

Because it was brand new, hey I like that show a lot, but it's not gonna have the ratings as last season.

jenks
June 28th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Before the finale rating I would have said no, now I'm not so sure, if the ratings for the premier and first few episodes are decent, Atlantis might make it.

Ruined_puzzle
June 28th, 2007, 03:52 PM
I have no answer to that but IMO it would be great if no one downloaded

What, what, this is the only way I will watch s4. LOL.

JoNzA
June 28th, 2007, 03:57 PM
LOL I mean that it would help the show moore seasons :D very good

jenks
June 28th, 2007, 04:00 PM
It probably won't actually, because Sci Fi don't make any money from DVD sales as I understand it.

Briangate78
June 28th, 2007, 04:04 PM
It probably won't actually, because Sci Fi don't make any money from DVD sales as I understand it.

If Sci-fi made money on the DVDs we would be talking about a Season 11 right now. Obviously they sell really well! :p

Briangate78
June 28th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Before the finale rating I would have said no, now I'm not so sure, if the ratings for the premier and first few episodes are decent, Atlantis might make it.

I think the premiere will pull in good ratings! Remember a lot of SG-1 fans who normally don't watch SGA are going to test out Carter. Question is which episode is she first appearing in?

Well even before the finale ratings they were good for the first half and the Return part 2 got a 1.4, not too bad.

Don't forget the long hiatus and the major box office competition!

parisindy
June 28th, 2007, 04:16 PM
i don't think there will be a season 5

Briangate78
June 28th, 2007, 04:18 PM
i don't think there will be a season 5

:(

jenks
June 28th, 2007, 04:21 PM
I think the premiere will pull in good ratings! Remember a lot of SG-1 fans who normally don't watch SGA are going to test out Carter. Question is which episode is she first appearing in?

Well even before the finale ratings they were good for the first half and the Return part 2 got a 1.4, not too bad.

Don't forget the long hiatus and the major box office competition!

The first one :)

parisindy
June 28th, 2007, 04:26 PM
:(

sorry, (((hugs)) i just don't think there will be

i would say why but i have enough red already lol, plus everyone knows anyways

you're a good egg Briangate78 (((((hugs))))))

Briangate78
June 28th, 2007, 04:28 PM
The first one :)

*in a Borat voice*

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!! :p

Aww thanks, no its cool. I just really want to see more seasons. If SGA ends we will have no more SG on Sci-fi anymore. :(

parisindy
June 28th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Aww thanks, no its cool. I just really want to see more seasons. If SGA ends we will have no more SG on Sci-fi anymore. :(

lol i don't get that channel anyways

i want to see more seasons to...just not in its current state... oh well

Agent_Dark
June 28th, 2007, 04:46 PM
No doubt there will be a season 5. Stargate will pwn too much for there not to be.

vaberella
June 28th, 2007, 04:46 PM
<snip>They broke up BSG and Stargate. They were feeding off eachother. Now we got PKJ as an anchor. :S

No, BSG and Stargate were not feeding off of each other. If they went back to scifi fridays, I think it would be a great move. But if we see the break in the two shows on separate days and the overall success of Stargate compared to the less than stellar performance of BSG, we know that Stargat is a show that could stand on it's own. Of course we can take into account the fact that BSG aired on Sundays which aren't really good days.<---You can't pull me away from Vincent Dinafrio on L&O: CI and I watch the 3-5 hour reruns on USA before the show, so I won't watch BSG. So it's showing date was dangerous, but its popularity had it's limits obviously due to it's rating plumit. But then I have friends who are BSG loyals and they just felt that the writers shot themselves in the foot and lost a massive following that way. I could believe it.

AS for PKJ---an anchor for what? It's the crappiest show in existence. If sciffy wanted to make Snakes on a Plane (it's so bad I can't remember the title too well) a tv show, that would be more successful than PKJ.

Some have said it was because it was new. I think that's one aspect that's very small. Yes it was new, but Eureka was ridiculously promoted. It just was not bloody funny how much money must have been spent on the promotion of Eureka. They would give like 30 commercials in a day---added to that they would mention the website and then you'd have the commercials ie PODCASTS on scifi.com. It was just damn well out of control. I could just imagine the ratings jump if SGA got that promotion with th added PODCASTS. They'd probbly pull in ratings above 2.0. I don't even remember Dresden Files or PKJ having the amount of attention to advertisement that Eureka has, even though I will say Dresden had it's fair share.

No doubt there will be a season 5. Stargate will pwn too much for there not to be.

ITA. I'm with AD!!! :D

Redhooks
June 28th, 2007, 04:59 PM
AS for PKJ---an anchor for what? It's the crappiest show in existence. If sciffy wanted to make Snakes on a Plane (it's so bad I can't remember the title too well) a tv show, that would be more successful than PKJ.
I think he means it is an anchor because it falls to the bottom, not as in the anchor leg of a race. :D

Edit: Sorry prion, I didn't look back a page to your post or I would have just quoted it. :o

Atlantis1
June 28th, 2007, 05:13 PM
I believe it will depend alot on how season four pans out. I'm at a wait and see attitude right now. There are some extremely big changes coming to the series which will show if TPTB have made the right choses or not. In my case, they are lucky that I decide to give the new season a try because I don't really feel happy about some of the changes.

vaberella
June 28th, 2007, 05:26 PM
I think he means it is an anchor because it falls to the bottom, not as in the anchor leg of a race. :D

Edit: Sorry prion, I didn't look back a page to your post or I would have just quoted it. :o

Ah, thanks Prion/Red. I've seen anchor used as a good thing, not a bad. :D

Celcool
June 29th, 2007, 12:14 AM
No doubt there won't be a season 5, season 4 will be so bad that they'll cancel the whole thing after the first 4 episodes shown. :P

SG13-NightOps
June 29th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Oh god I hope so!

But given the good ratings for the Finale, the fact that I will ASSUME that Sci Fi are not silly enough to think that the long hiatus had nothing to do with it, and the fact that 5 years is a better deal for syndication AND that ratings are down for everything so Stargate was still in their top 10 each week, and they cant run a Science Fiction channel with Wrestling alone - I think we will get a Season 5. Season 6 will rest entirely on its own ability.

lpcallen
June 29th, 2007, 12:34 AM
I think the final of Atlantis is great.It gives a good direction to S4.I believe the rating of S4 will be much better.

elbo
June 29th, 2007, 02:35 AM
I see no reason not to be a 5th season. Even if they consider only the 3th season ratings, which i can't see why would they do that. The ratings are good, and will hopefull be better for next season, and let me add more realistical, meaning fans of the show more than actors excorts, which is nice for the future and give them freedom to develop the show.

Briangate78
June 29th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Thanks everyone for your input! I appreciate it! :) Now we have to sit back and wait to see the fate of Atlantis. Will it sink? or rise to the skies? Um no pun intended. :p

flynn1959
June 29th, 2007, 08:09 AM

I agree with you and for the same reasons. Atlantis will not survive the curse of Carter...she who sucks the life out of every scene. I don't give a toss, red is my favourite colour.:):)

I have a really cute little red dress that I adore!

Ruffles
June 29th, 2007, 10:44 AM
It's very hard to say at this point. I think the show is good enough to deserve a Season 5, but it's all about ratings. SciFi gets its money from advertisers. Ratings determine ad pricing and desirability. That's also why only US ratings are considered and iPod downloads and DVD sales are ignored. It's cost/benefit. If the show doesn't have a good enough margin (cost to produce versus advertising dollars) it's a goner.

If it's promoted well and draws casual viewers, it should do fine and be renewed. If not....

New viewers are not going to be affected by the cast changes. They won't know the difference. The hard part will be getting new viewers to understand what's going on since they don't have SG-1 and 3 seasons of background.

Briangate78
June 29th, 2007, 11:01 AM
It's very hard to say at this point. I think the show is good enough to deserve a Season 5, but it's all about ratings. SciFi gets its money from advertisers. Ratings determine ad pricing and desirability. That's also why only US ratings are considered and iPod downloads and DVD sales are ignored. It's cost/benefit. If the show doesn't have a good enough margin (cost to produce versus advertising dollars) it's a goner.

If it's promoted well and draws casual viewers, it should do fine and be renewed. If not....

New viewers are not going to be affected by the cast changes. They won't know the difference. The hard part will be getting new viewers to understand what's going on since they don't have SG-1 and 3 seasons of background.

Well the cost of production cut down more than half since SG-1 ended. We will have SG-1 fans watching SGA, BSG is ending after season 4 so the network will hopefully turn to Stargate to keep a major show airing. We had the long hiatus between the first and second half of last season that lost viewers who viewed the show by other methods, some illegally. :mckay:

Also Atlantis was really not advertised too much. There were a lot more SG-1 ads than SGA ones. SGA still managed to pull in decent ratings even with the lack of advertisment.

It's funny, they must of advertised BSG like 100x more. LOL! Yet it fell below in ratings compared to both gates. ;)

So here is to a 5th year of SGA! Cheers! :)

Blev08
June 29th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Well the cost of production cut down more than half since SG-1 ended. We will have SG-1 fans watching SGA, BSG is ending after season 4 so the network will hopefully turn to Stargate to keep a major show airing. We had the long hiatus between the first and second half of last season that lost viewers who viewed the show by other methods, some illegally. :mckay:

Also Atlantis was really not advertised too much. There were a lot more SG-1 ads than SGA ones. SGA still managed to pull in decent ratings even with the lack of advertisment.

It's funny, they must of advertised BSG like 100x more. LOL! Yet it fell below in ratings compared to both gates. ;)

Well if you think about SG-1 was ending, so it made more sense to advertise it more, plus with SGA on right after SG1, in my opinion it really didn't need that much advertisement. It will be interesting to see how the show stands on its own this year though and how they approach advertising if at all.

Briangate78
June 29th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Well if you think about SG-1 was ending, so it made more sense to advertise it more, plus with SGA on right after SG1, in my opinion it really didn't need that much advertisement. It will be interesting to see how the show stands on its own this year though and how they approach advertising if at all.

Well Joe M thinks it will do well on it's own. I think so also. SG-1 fans will have their withdrawel and will tune into SGA. They may even like what they see! :P

Ruffles
June 29th, 2007, 11:28 AM

SG-1 production costs shouldn't have any affect on Atlantis. It has its own production costs that have to be covered by the commercials shown during its hour. SG-1's advertising was there to cover its costs.

Promotion is not the answer to everything (as evidenced by BSG and some other shows), but it gets the initial viewers there. That's when quality takes over. Well-written scripts and interesting storylines are necessary to keep the viewers. But if they don't show up to start with or they wander away during a 7 month hiatus, that's lack of promotion (and common sense).

I don't think that illegal viewership had that much of an effect on the show (personal opinion here). Only fairly hard-core fans would bother finding illegal downloads. And they would still watch when it returned. It's the casual viewer they lost. The "Hey, what's on Friday night? Oh, that Atlantis show. I like that." kind of viewer. When it went away and seemingly never returned, they moved on. I've heard some people actually go out and do stuff on Friday nights. :D

pisces27
June 29th, 2007, 11:29 AM
I think that SGA can stand on it's own. Fingers crossed for S5!

Briangate78
June 29th, 2007, 11:43 AM
SG-1 production costs shouldn't have any affect on Atlantis. It has its own production costs that have to be covered by the commercials shown during its hour. SG-1's advertising was there to cover its costs.

Promotion is not the answer to everything (as evidenced by BSG and some other shows), but it gets the initial viewers there. That's when quality takes over. Well-written scripts and interesting storylines are necessary to keep the viewers. But if they don't show up to start with or they wander away during a 7 month hiatus, that's lack of promotion (and common sense).

I don't think that illegal viewership had that much of an effect on the show (personal opinion here). Only fairly hard-core fans would bother finding illegal downloads. And they would still watch when it returned. It's the casual viewer they lost. The "Hey, what's on Friday night? Oh, that Atlantis show. I like that." kind of viewer. When it went away and seemingly never returned, they moved on. I've heard some people actually go out and do stuff on Friday nights. :D

I believe it does, because the producers were running two shows at the same time and it was more costly for them, hence MGM, hence the network. They are basically the same entity(Franchise) so I would think they influenced eachother. Now scifi will only have to pay for one show that will get the same ratings hopefully in the same time slot.

I think I caught 3 or 4 eps of the first airing. :p Thank goodness for Tivo! :p Plus with the box office, it is a major competitor for TV on a friday.

Ganthet Jr.
June 29th, 2007, 12:11 PM
I really, really, really hope for a season 5 (and beyond!). Stargate must live!!!

Laura the Asgard
June 29th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Yes - I belive they will have a season 5 - as others have said - the production costs are down and they can focus all their writing and time to one show. They have some good writers and producers but it's hard to manage two shows at once on a cheap budget and tight timeframes.

Plus - Atlantis is a good show. The characters are likeable (most) and even though some of the story lines could be perceived as not very good sometimes and their decisions to kill off people are ill advised- the actors that survive make it fun to watch and I'm looking forward to season 4. If season 4 holds in the ratings, then we will have a season 5.

The key is - if you have a TIVO or other DVR - click on the "watch live TV"- even if you aren't home! All that info is provided for the ratings so every little bit helps!!

Personally - I'm a little sad tonight. It's been a long week at work and I don't have either SG-1 or Atlantis to look forward to!

Mitchell82
June 29th, 2007, 06:30 PM
I really really hope that their will be. My only concern is that it will most likely depend on the ratings from season 3. I truly don't think that it will be cancelled.

Briangate78
June 29th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I really really hope that their will be. My only concern is that it will most likely depend on the ratings from season 3. I truly don't think that it will be cancelled.

2 million viewers cannot be wrong! :p

scifi_lemon
June 29th, 2007, 08:26 PM

That's my concern as well. But I heard that since S4 airs in early fall, that some of the early eps will count in SciFi's desicions as well.

Briangate78
June 29th, 2007, 08:51 PM
That's my concern as well. But I heard that since S4 airs in early fall, that some of the early eps will count in SciFi's desicions as well.

Everyone and their Grandma needs to watch "Adrift" on Sept 28th! :cameron:

scifi_lemon
June 29th, 2007, 08:56 PM

Ditto!

i_adore_atlantis
June 30th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Until now, I was pretty sure Sci Fi would renew Atlantis for a 5th season. Right now, I'm not so sure. I've read Robert Cooper interview to see if he talked about Atlantis. No luck, but something got my attention. He talked about how the decline in the ratings for the Monday reruns was the main reason for SG-1's cancellation, and not the ratings for the new episodes.

I have no idea what the ratings for the reruns were, but I've seen many fans talking about how Sci Fi ran some Atlantis marathons and removed them because they did really bad ratings-wise.

I didn't know these reruns were even more important than the new episodes.

If what Robert Cooper says about SG-1 applies to Atlantis as well, a season 5 doesn't look very promising :(

scifi_lemon
June 30th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Until now, I was pretty sure Sci Fi would renew Atlantis for a 5th season. Right now, I'm not so sure. I've read Robert Cooper interview to see if he talked about Atlantis. No luck, but something got my attention. He talked about how the decline in the ratings for the Monday reruns was the main reason for SG-1's cancellation, and not the ratings for the new episodes.

I have no idea what the ratings for the reruns were, but I've seen many fans talking about how Sci Fi ran some Atlantis marathons and removed them because they did really bad ratings-wise.

If what Robert Cooper says about SG-1 applies to Atlantis as well, a season 5 doesn't look very promising :(

Well, if SciFi wants to get more viewers for reruns, they should air more eps than the first 5 or 6 of S1 ;)

Briangate78
June 30th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Ditto!

Notice I used the Mitchell icon! :p

I read that interview. I also know that it cost them more to run two shows. Now the franchise will approach Sci-fi for one show. SGA has been getting decent enough ratings. It's funny you bring that up about the monday issue. They are starting to bring back more marathons for August. Also the reairs of Stargate SG-1 have been doing better than some shows like PKJ in some weeks. Also check out this week which had only old eps of SG-1....

ECW 1.7
Hercules part two 1.4
The Dresden Files 1.3
Kaw 1.3
Earthstorm 1.1
Hercules part one 1.0
Stargate SG-1 1.0
Merlin part one 0.9
Caved in: Prehistoric Terror 0.9
Manticore 0.9

Source: Nielsen Galaxy Report, 4/2/07 -- 4/8/07

Mitchell82
June 30th, 2007, 04:52 PM

Well while the ratings were down SGA still kept in the top 5 shows on scifi so since the ratings wernt "painkiller jane" bad I bet they will keep it on at least on more season.

scifi_lemon
June 30th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Well while the ratings were down SGA still kept in the top 5 shows on scifi so since the ratings wernt "painkiller jane" bad I bet they will keep it on at least on more season.

Well...here's hoping *crosses fingers*

Briangate78
June 30th, 2007, 05:09 PM

Well...here's hoping *crosses fingers*

Not to upset anyone, and I don't know if you are a fan. But PKJ is the show that should be worried about a new season not SGA .

Also if you read that interview, Scifi still seems very interested in keeping a Startgate show going. They got so much success out of it, I do not see how running a 5th season will hurt them but will only help them.

SGA will make it's 4th season world premiere on sept 28th! If the show pulls in good ratings like 2 million + viewers then a season 5 will most likely happen! :)

the fifth man
June 30th, 2007, 06:21 PM

I don't think SGA will be canceled after next season either. I at least see it lasting thru Season 5. As others have stated in the past, shows with at least 100 episodes sell better syndication-wise anyways. That, and SGA isn't really doing that bad on Sci-Fi. Really, what do they have that will do much better?

prion
June 30th, 2007, 06:34 PM
I don't think SGA will be canceled after next season either. I at least see it lasting thru Season 5. As others have stated in the past, shows with at least 100 episodes sell better syndication-wise anyways. That, and SGA isn't really doing that bad on Sci-Fi. Really, what do they have that will do much better?

Uh, hmm... Painkiller Jane (yech), Ghost Hunters (not my cup of tae), Dr. Who (an import but good), bad movies. yeah, not a whole lot...

PG15
June 30th, 2007, 06:38 PM
There is also Eureka and The Dresden Files, but another scifi show that brings in the numbers won't hurt.

the fifth man
June 30th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Uh, hmm... Painkiller Jane (yech), Ghost Hunters (not my cup of tae), Dr. Who (an import but good), bad movies. yeah, not a whole lot...

Exactly! So, IMO anyways, if they were to cancel SGA after this season, it would only go to show that Sci-Fi is seriously trying to bring down their own network.

vaberella
June 30th, 2007, 06:45 PM
But PKJ is the show that should be worried about a new season not SGA .<snip>

Hah!! If you only knew. I was complaining about PKJ in the other scifi show section, and Shadowmaat tells me that PKJ has already been signed for it's second season.

No, if, ands, or buts. It has S2 already signed and ready to go. Every bloody time I think of that, I need to drink a shot of scotch. Ugh!! :S

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
June 30th, 2007, 06:46 PM
i believe that there will be a season 5 will episode 100 being 5.20. but i wouldnt mind a 6th season of Atlantis. maybe a 7th but really im going for 6 right now. it would be stupid for atlantis to end now i mean its starting to really get into it's own.

scifi_lemon
June 30th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Exactly! So, IMO anyways, if they were to cancel SGA after this season, it would only go to show that Sci-Fi is seriously trying to bring down their own network.

I agree. SciFi would be only hurting itself if it cancelled.

Hah!! If you only knew. I was complaining about PKJ in the other scifi show section, and Shadowmaat tells me that PKJ has already been signed for it's second season.

No, if, ands, or buts. It has S2 already signed and ready to go. Every bloody time I think of that, I need to drink a shot of scotch. Ugh!! :S

Wah???? 0.o If *that* show can get another season, than SGA can too hands down.

(uh...no offense to PKJ fans :o)

Reichiru
June 30th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Well, I thought SG-1 was going to kick the bucket about 3 seasons ago, so I think there's a pretty good chance Atlantis will have a decent run as well. I really don't think Sci-Fi can afford to pull the plug on Atlantis anyway. I mean, what else do they really have going for them except for maybe one or so other shows?

scifi_lemon
June 30th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Well, I thought SG-1 was going to kick the bucket about 3 seasons ago, so I think there's a pretty good chance Atlantis will have a decent run as well. I really don't think Sci-Fi can afford to pull the plug on Atlantis anyway. I mean, what else do they really have going for them except for maybe one or so other shows?

ITA.

the fifth man
June 30th, 2007, 08:04 PM
I mean, what else do they really have going for them except for maybe one or so other shows?

Not much at all really. I just hope the people in charge over at Sci-Fi still have enough brain cells left to realize that fact.

PhatChance
June 30th, 2007, 10:19 PM

That Atlantis Mondays lasted just one week and went to something I forgot, but they moved either SG-1 back to Monday temporarily or show Jake 2.0. Sorry I don't recall. SG-1 went to Tuesdays 7-10pm before Eureka came on board.

To answer OP post. I highly believe a fifth season will come. Stargate is their staple. Unless they got a new hit series with equal production value (maybe they can greenlit a new B5 show ;)) I don't see them axing Atlantis yet. Pulling the plugs means they just flushed millions of ads revenue when over 2 million tuned in last Friday to see their premiere franchise. PKJ is a flop, likely to be pulled. Dresden is a decent show, I watched the first few but coulnd't watch PKJ for more than 2 minutes.

SG13-NightOps
June 30th, 2007, 11:23 PM

That was exactly my point. Of all the others mentioned, SGA is at least making ratings that mean something.

They simply cant run a science fiction channel on ECW re-runs.

vaberella
July 1st, 2007, 05:52 AM
That was exactly my point. Of all the others mentioned, SGA is at least making ratings that mean something.

They simply cant run a science fiction channel on ECW re-runs.
Agreed to the first statement.

As for the second:
Or the "original" dragon movies. I almost came to hate dragons because of scifi. What is their deal?

Once I read Flash Gordon was getting a show, I was like your borderline getting wiped out. FG was a crap movie and will be a crap tv show. Now if it's the remake of the 6 Million Dollar Man--well then you got a hit on your hands. Or at least if skiffy heard my cries for a Tron tv show. I would kill to watch Tron on tv--and it would be cheap to film with all the flourescent lighting. :D

Ooh, or even resurrecting Logan's Run. I so loved that tv show. Oh man, that would be wicked. Hmmm, Logan 9 and Jessica 6, my ultimate ship. :D

Briangate78
July 1st, 2007, 08:26 AM

All those shows do not do as well as SGA! ;) :p

PKJ has not even made the top 10 for like 6 or 7 weeks straight. If they renew PKJ and not SGA! Wow, i don't know what to say about that. PKJ has never made it above a 1.3 in ratings.

There is also Eureka and The Dresden Files, but another scifi show that brings in the numbers won't hurt.

Two great shows I might add! Dresden files is a show in question of being renewed, probably because it's ratings were below SGA. In fact Dresden never saw above a 1.4 sadly! Eureka is not gonna pull in the same ratings like last season.

vaberella
July 1st, 2007, 09:54 AM
PKJ has not even made the top 10 for like 6 or 7 weeks straight. If they renew PKJ and not SGA! Wow, i don't know what to say about that. PKJ has never made it above a 1.3 in ratings.

I know, but the excuse I've heard is that it's cheaper to film. But I'm like with those ratings, even with less money it would be safer not to film it at all and spend that money in places that may need more advertisement (SGA comes to mind) or production funding. But it has been renewed, I don't get skiffy, I just really don't.

Briangate78
July 1st, 2007, 12:43 PM
I know, but the excuse I've heard is that it's cheaper to film. But I'm like with those ratings, even with less money it would be safer not to film it at all and spend that money in places that may need more advertisement (SGA comes to mind) or production funding. But it has been renewed, I don't get skiffy, I just really don't.

It all comes down to this.....

$$$$

Sad, but true.

Mitchell82
July 1st, 2007, 06:07 PM
Not to upset anyone, and I don't know if you are a fan. But PKJ is the show that should be worried about a new season not SGA .

Also if you read that interview, Scifi still seems very interested in keeping a Startgate show going. They got so much success out of it, I do not see how running a 5th season will hurt them but will only help them.

SGA will make it's 4th season world premiere on sept 28th! If the show pulls in good ratings like 2 million + viewers then a season 5 will most likely happen! :)

ITA!

prion
July 2nd, 2007, 03:45 AM

Actually, Mallozzi said
Q: “I just heard SciFi have announed September 28th for the premiere of season 4. Will SciFi be world premiering (is that a word?) Adrift?”
Answer: Yes. Sci Fi will be airing the First-Time Anywhere World Premiere of Atlantis’s fourth season. First episode up: Adrift.

No verification of *world* premiere, just premiere on Skiffy, and that was just verifying what Skiffy put out on their text message.

jenks
July 2nd, 2007, 04:10 AM
Huh? He clearly says world premier :confused:

Linzi
July 2nd, 2007, 04:13 AM
Actually, Mallozzi said
Q: “I just heard SciFi have announed September 28th for the premiere of season 4. Will SciFi be world premiering (is that a word?) Adrift?”
Answer: Yes. Sci Fi will be airing the First-Time Anywhere World Premiere of Atlantis’s fourth season. First episode up: Adrift.

No verification of *world* premiere, just premiere on Skiffy, and that was just verifying what Skiffy put out on their text message.
Er, yes he did. I asked Joe that question and I specifically asked if Adrift would be a world premiere on Skiffy, and JM answers with a resounding yes! :) Sorry Prion, but world premiere is mentioned in the hilighted above. You been watching too much whump again, and your brain's overloaded with womanly squeeing? Happens to me all the time!;)

vaberella
July 2nd, 2007, 04:16 AM
Yeah, Prion probably read it incorrectly.

Oh and it's not World premiere the Australians get it a day later...I think it's the 14 hour time difference from the US Eastern seaboard.

Linzi
July 2nd, 2007, 04:21 AM

Oh and it's not World premiere the Australians get it a day later...I think it's the 14 hour time difference from the US Eastern seaboard.
I'm confused! How can it not be a world premiere if Joe says Skiffy is airing it first?

vaberella
July 2nd, 2007, 04:38 AM
I'm confused! How can it not be a world premiere if Joe says Skiffy is airing it first?

I said it's not the world premiere because ,Australia a country which is part of the world, is not getting it until the 29th of September. Which would be around 14-16 hours after we've seen it. Or maybe I should have said it's not the World Premiere Night.

GateLadyM
July 2nd, 2007, 04:56 AM
When Skiffy says, "World Premiere" that means they get to show it FIRST, before it is broadcast in any other country.

Linzi
July 2nd, 2007, 06:20 AM
When Skiffy says, "World Premiere" that means they get to show it FIRST, before it is broadcast in any other country.
Indeed it does, that was why I was confused! It's very important for the ratings, as nobody in the US who has SciFi will obtain the new episodes from the first half of the season from, ahem, elsewhere and the ratings should be better. I had no idea Australia would be airing the new episodes second in the world. Has that happened before?:)

Vaberella, sorry to be a pain, but where did you find the info that Season 4 SGA airs in Australia the day after it airs on SciFi in the US, because I can't find any information on that. Thanks! :)

StevenCaldwell
July 2nd, 2007, 07:30 AM
I think i can speal for every one post on this forum, when i say- WE ALL HOPE SO!!!

SGA FOREVER!!! :sheppard::mckay::weir::ronan::teyla::beckett: Bring back the original crew!!!

SGFerrit
July 2nd, 2007, 07:54 AM
Umm, no. The 'original' crew involved someone known as 'Ford'. Not Ronon.

Agent_Dark
July 2nd, 2007, 02:08 PM
I said it's not the world premiere because ,Australia a country which is part of the world, is not getting it until the 29th of September. Which would be around 14-16 hours after we've seen it. Or maybe I should have said it's not the World Premiere Night.

*cough*, we'll (or anyone who makes the effort to do so) see it only a few hours after the US does. It's just that due to timezone differences, it's the 29th in Australia at that time ;)

Ehecatl
July 2nd, 2007, 02:29 PM
There better be... there is just too much that will be started and left unfinished in season 4 and season 4 is almost completely done writing. Atlantis had great support from the start and its support only increased because the storyline to me is just more interesting and ever expanding in ideas.

SG13-NightOps
July 2nd, 2007, 02:29 PM
*cough*, we'll (or anyone who makes the effort to do so) see it only a few hours after the US does. It's just that due to timezone differences, it's the 29th in Australia at that time ;)

*whistles innocently* 29th here is the 28th in the US, we are like 11 hours in advance .. (We are GMT+10, but with daylight savings in both countries, that never actually worked out to 10 hours. Its always 9 or 11.)

vaberella
July 2nd, 2007, 04:15 PM
Indeed it does, that was why I was confused! It's very important for the ratings, as nobody in the US who has SciFi will obtain the new episodes from the first half of the season from, ahem, elsewhere and the ratings should be better. I had no idea Australia would be airing the new episodes second in the world. Has that happened before?:)

Vaberella, sorry to be a pain, but where did you find the info that Season 4 SGA airs in Australia the day after it airs on SciFi in the US, because I can't find any information on that. Thanks! :)

Hiya, Linzi. ~sigh~ From her ---> Check below! :)

See?! ---^

That's why it's not world premiere night for Australia. She originally mentioned it in the "Official Count Down Thread"<--check out the first page. :D Hiya, AD!!

*whistles innocently* 29th here is the 28th in the US, we are like 11 hours in advance .. (We are GMT+10, but with daylight savings in both countries, that never actually worked out to 10 hours. Its always 9 or 11.)

Australia's more along the lines of 14 hours in advance if looking at the Eastern American seaboard compared to the Eastern Australian Seaboard (ie New York vs. Canberra). I have connections to the area near Wollongong <---I still can't pronounce that properly.:D

Assuming you guys watch SGA in the evening, after it airs in New York it would be more around 2pm (Canberra time), and I doubt you'd watch SGA at around 2pm in the afternoon. So it would wait till about the evening and let's say we're sticking to the 14 hours from directly after SGA airs in New York--it would be around 23/24 hours from it's airing time in New York, if not more (using 9/10 as the air time in Australia). Or between 6/7 am on, or there abouts the 29th for us Eastern Americans, would be their premiere night in Australia.

Agent_Dark
July 2nd, 2007, 04:35 PM
Assuming you guys watch SGA in the evening, after it airs in New York it would be more around 2pm (Canberra time), and I doubt you'd watch SGA at around 2pm in the afternoon. So it would wait till about the evening and let's say we're sticking to the 14 hours from directly after SGA airs in New York--it would be around 23/24 hours from it's airing time in New York, if not more (using 9/10 as the air time in Australia). Or between 6/7 am on, or there abouts the 29th for us Eastern Americans, would be their premiere night in Australia.

Nah, I usually watch em early Saturday arvo. Really depends how long the groups take to release ;)

SG13-NightOps
July 2nd, 2007, 04:42 PM

See?! ---^

That's why it's not world premiere night for Australia. She originally mentioned it in the "Official Count Down Thread"<--check out the first page. :D Hiya, AD!!

Australia's more along the lines of 14 hours in advance if looking at the Eastern American seaboard compared to the Eastern Australian Seaboard (ie New York vs. Canberra). I have connections to the area near Wollongong <---I still can't pronounce that properly.:D

Well - I dont actually think that SGA S4 will premiere in Aus until 2008.

ahem. *looks around at nothing in particular*

vaberella
July 2nd, 2007, 05:04 PM
Nah, I usually watch em early Saturday arvo. Really depends how long the groups take to release ;)

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/vaberella/kiss.gif Understood! http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/vaberella/ballet.gif

Well - I dont actually think that SGA S4 will premiere in Aus until 2008.

ahem. *looks around at nothing in particular*

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/vaberella/kiss.gif http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/vaberella/happy0188.gif

prion
July 2nd, 2007, 05:05 PM

Oh yup, I did. Smacks self with dead trout ;) Guess that means the rest of the world will get it.. .whenever... watch the downloads increase...

Mitchell82
July 2nd, 2007, 06:42 PM
There better be... there is just too much that will be started and left unfinished in season 4 and season 4 is almost completely done writing. Atlantis had great support from the start and its support only increased because the storyline to me is just more interesting and ever expanding in ideas.

Agreed. It would be a shame to let it end now.

Linzi
July 3rd, 2007, 12:05 AM

See?! ---^

Ah, ok, it's not 'airing' on an Aussie channel! Didn't think so, because they seem pretty behind in the season airing stakes. I see what you're getting at now! ;)

The confusion arose because I was talking about which TV channel will premiere season 4, and in which country. IE, the US gets it before anyone else, so US folk will tune in to watch, having not been able to see it anywhere else first :)

pie eater general
July 3rd, 2007, 02:07 AM
Season five? All I know is that my gut says maybe!

Adria
July 3rd, 2007, 03:45 AM
depends on how season 4 does!! i was surprised that scifi went for a season 4 my only sad feeling is that it won't air with BSG :(

Briangate78
July 3rd, 2007, 06:33 AM
depends on how season 4 does!! i was surprised that scifi went for a season 4 my only sad feeling is that it won't air with BSG :(

Surprised for a season 4? A lot of people were surprised SG-1 did NOT make it to season 11. Again, Cost of production caved in for the network and MGM. Now that there is one series, the cost of production is probably less than half. Also, Sci-fi might want to see 5 seasons, because they can then reair them on Sci-fi. Don't count SGA out. The show still attracts over 2 million viewers and Sci-fi knows that.

Colonel Eriksen
July 3rd, 2007, 07:43 AM
I hope there will be a season 5

marcws
July 3rd, 2007, 10:51 AM
i hope to god there is a season 5 or i will kill myself

deadman
July 3rd, 2007, 05:36 PM
that would be stupid

DONNA BOOTH
July 4th, 2007, 12:54 AM
im really hoping there is

Amaunet
July 4th, 2007, 02:01 AM
I hope there will be a S5 and beyond! I think we'll get a S5! :D

I had no idea Australia would be airing the new episodes second in the world. Has that happened before?:)

Actually the end of S8 of Sg1 was aired in Australia before alot of other countries... :D

Anyway It would be nice if we did actually get S4 of Sga around the same time that the rest of the world got it...i hate having to wait for the box sets or obtaining it via "other ways"...

Mitchell82
July 4th, 2007, 01:59 PM

I believe there will be, as to it not airing with BSG no biggie for me I gave up in season 2.

Briangate78
July 8th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Stargate SG-1 finale 1.7
ECW 1.6
Stargate Atlantis (First Strike) 1.5
Ghost Hunters 1.4
Harpies 1.4
From Dusk Til Dawn 3 1.1
Star Trek Enterprise 1.1
Painkiller Jane 1.0
Waterworld 1.0
Destination Truth 0.9

Source: Nielsen Galaxy Report, 6/18/07 -- 6/24/07

ussrelativity
July 8th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Stargate SG-1 finale 1.7
ECW 1.6
Stargate Atlantis (First Strike) 1.5
Ghost Hunters 1.4
Harpies 1.4
From Dusk Til Dawn 3 1.1
Star Trek Enterprise 1.1
Painkiller Jane 1.0
Waterworld 1.0
Destination Truth 0.9

Source: Nielsen Galaxy Report, 6/18/07 -- 6/24/07

YES! That's how it should be every week!!!

Green for you.

Briangate78
July 8th, 2007, 08:48 PM
YES! That's how it should be every week!!!

Green for you.

I was telling someone else, that the Season premiere, mid-season finale, and mid-season premiere did around those numbers. SGA and SG-1 had the 7 month hiatus and they had major box office competition, one of the biggest grossing months for the box office. Sci-fi is crazy not to give a 5th season.

Mitchell82
July 8th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I was telling someone else, that the Season premiere, mid-season finale, and mid-season premiere did around those numbers. SGA and SG-1 had the 7 month hiatus and they had major box office competition, one of the biggest grossing months for the box office. Sci-fi is crazy not to give a 5th season.

Agreed though it's not like Skiffy is known for good decisions.:mckay:

ussrelativity
July 8th, 2007, 09:13 PM

My problem really isn't with SCIFI. It's with NBC/Universal.

elbo
July 8th, 2007, 09:28 PM
That's the spirit.:)

The S4 is light years away and you already promote S5. - very good

Not, ... they've changed dinner menu i take my toys and leave. I only watched the show because they've served egg chicken omlet. - very bad

Briangate78
July 9th, 2007, 05:44 AM

You are both right. It's all about this... $$$$ But SGA still attracts over 2 million viewers and the cost of production is like less than half since SG-1 is off the air.

Mitchell82
July 9th, 2007, 03:42 PM

Agreed.

Major_Griff
July 10th, 2007, 06:26 PM
i think the main thing is, they didn't promote SG this season at all. In S8/S1 when Stargate was Scifi's ratings giant, and even durring S9/S2, you couldn't turn on scfi w/o seeing a SG ad. If you look at the S10/S3 ratings, 200/TRW and Unending/First Strike had the best ratings of the season, and they were the most heavily promoted episodes (Well 200 was promoted like crazy TRW just piggiebacked on that). I think its obvious that if they gave SGA the attention that they give BSG, or Eureka a Season 5 and beyond would be inevitable.

WraithSlayer25
July 10th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I sure hope so! If they take away SGA too, I'll probably stop watching SciFi forever :( I'd like to see them do something out of the blue and unexpected (like bring back SuperFord, but thats just me being extremely hopeful).

Has anyone heard any rumors about a third stargate series?

Jenner8675309
July 10th, 2007, 07:48 PM
The fact that Sci FI decided to push back its decision to renew after some of S4 airs (previously it was dependent on the back half of S3 and originally would have been announced by now), makes the odds better IMO.

Briangate78
July 11th, 2007, 06:30 AM
The fact that Sci FI decided to push back its decision to renew after some of S4 airs (previously it was dependent on the back half of S3 and originally would have been announced by now), makes the odds better IMO.

If they attract 2 million plus viewers for the season premiere we should be going into a 5th season with no problem! That would be like a 1.5 to 1.7 rating. :)

Briangate78
July 14th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Bump! :p

RepliHawk
July 14th, 2007, 07:43 PM
I sure hope so that there will be a season 5

Mitchell82
July 14th, 2007, 09:23 PM

Agreed. I really think that there is a great chance we will get it.

seldear
July 15th, 2007, 03:41 AM
i think the main thing is, they didn't promote SG this season at all. Promotion has a lot to do with people tuning in.

Also, S2 was assisted by the fact that Scifi was showing SG1, SGA, and BSG in a block on a set night and advertising it as such.

People were watching all three in a row, quite happily enjoying their 'scifi friday'.

Then, when they split the Stargates from BSG, the numbers viewing began to go down - even BSG couldn't garner the same degree of ratings it had enjoyed in the sci-fi friday block.

(Well 200 was promoted like crazy TRW just piggiebacked on that).Maybe I haven't been looking around enough, but you're the first person I've seen to actually say this out loud. Thank you for that.

I sincerely hope we get another season. Now that the writers can concentrate on SGA without having to split between SG1 and SGA, I'm looking forward to greater development of characters that haven't otherwise had much time or effort put into them.

Sel.

Briangate78
July 15th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Promotion has a lot to do with people tuning in.

Also, S2 was assisted by the fact that Scifi was showing SG1, SGA, and BSG in a block on a set night and advertising it as such.

People were watching all three in a row, quite happily enjoying their 'scifi friday'.

Then, when they split the Stargates from BSG, the numbers viewing began to go down - even BSG couldn't garner the same degree of ratings it had enjoyed in the sci-fi friday block.

Maybe I haven't been looking around enough, but you're the first person I've seen to actually say this out loud. Thank you for that.

I sincerely hope we get another season. Now that the writers can concentrate on SGA without having to split between SG1 and SGA, I'm looking forward to greater development of characters that haven't otherwise had much time or effort put into them.

Sel.

That's a good point about the promotion. They don't promote the Stargates like they do with their other shows, yet the gates still pull in good ratings. So, if they spend less money on ads for Stargate, Especially Atlantis, that has to be another pro factor for a 5th season renewal.

Oh btw, heard they are announcing the decision like around next week on the Dresden Files, so that can be another factor to what direction sci-fi is going into.

Mitchell82
July 15th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Promotion has a lot to do with people tuning in.

Exactly. Promotion has alot to do with bringing in ratings especially from casual viewers. They made a hug mistake butchering the friday lineup, but thankfully the gates still pull in good ratings.

Maybe I haven't been looking around enough, but you're the first person I've seen to actually say this out loud. Thank you for that I sincerely hope we get another season. Now that the writers can concentrate on SGA without having to split between SG1 and SGA, I'm looking forward to greater development of characters that haven't otherwise had much time or effort put into them.

Sel.
I said that awhile back but most didn't listen. I too hope we have another season and with the cheaper production costs as well as BSG being gone we have a good shot.

Briangate78
July 15th, 2007, 02:11 PM
I said that awhile back but most didn't listen. I too hope we have another season and with the cheaper production costs as well as BSG being gone we have a good shot.

Tried to give you green for that quote but alreay did! :p I agree with the ratings still decent enough, cost production is down for Scifi, and well with no BSG or SG-1, what else does the network have? Ghost Hunters? PKJ? Dr. Who? These shows are not pulling the weight like SGA has been doing. Eureka is doing well, and I am glad like that show. :)

scifi_lemon
July 15th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Exactly. Promotion has alot to do with bringing in ratings especially from casual viewers. They made a hug mistake butchering the friday lineup, but thankfully the gates still pull in good ratings.

ITA to all the above. SGA gets barely any promotion. If they actually put some effort into bringing veiwers in, they might get a ratings boost. The concept of advertising the Gates seems to be beyond Sciffy's comprehension.

Maybe when BSG's over they'll dedicate more moolah into promoting SGA.

Ruffles
July 16th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Have you seen this (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=45564)? Check out the last question.

jenks
July 16th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Interesting...

scifi_lemon
July 16th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Have you seen this (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=45564)? Check out the last question.

Ha! Our theories are probably correct! *dances*

;)

Briangate78
July 16th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Interesting...

Looks like those odds just went up, huh? :p

Ruffles
July 16th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Looks like those odds just went up, huh? :p

He is talking about the franchise. They could move to movies or the third series and still have Stargate around without an S5.

However, I'm staying optimistic. I'm really interested to see if they advertise SGA this fall the way they've been advertising Eureka this summer.

Briangate78
July 16th, 2007, 04:35 PM
He is talking about the franchise. They could move to movies or the third series and still have Stargate around without an S5.

However, I'm staying optimistic. I'm really interested to see if they advertise SGA this fall the way they've been advertising Eureka this summer.

Eureka's premiere was not too far off from SGA's season finale both in the 2 million viewers mark! Again long hiatus hurt the show.

And you would think Season 5 of SGA is the best canidate to continue the franchise on Sci-fi!

Col. Shadow Quinn
July 16th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I definately think there'll be a Season 5 of Stargate Atlantis.

scifi_lemon
July 17th, 2007, 12:18 PM

I hope they do. Lord knows SGA deserves it.

Mitchell82
July 17th, 2007, 06:01 PM

Indeed it does. If scifi does not give SGA a 5th season someone is going to get hurt.

Briangate78
July 17th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Indeed it does. If scifi does not give SGA a 5th season someone is going to get hurt.

The network will get hurt...

Financially

JSPuddlejumper
July 17th, 2007, 07:23 PM
I would think so.

Most SG1 fans will transfer over.

Battlestar Galactia is filming its last year.

scifi_lemon
July 17th, 2007, 07:41 PM

I think if it doesn't get a S5, we should protest infront of the studio and send them lots of angry letters. If Jericho fans can do it, so can we. ;)

Mitchell82
July 17th, 2007, 10:06 PM
The network will get hurt...

Financially

Indeed. Without SGA and BSG all they have is crap.

Mitchell82
July 17th, 2007, 10:08 PM
I think if it doesn't get a S5, we should protest infront of the studio and send them lots of angry letters. If Jericho fans can do it, so can we. ;)

Well we tried tissue boxes with SG-1 what else should it be this time? Mabey we send them buckets of toxic waste so they either submit or get radiation poisioning.;)

seldear
July 18th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Well we tried tissue boxes with SG-1 what else should it be this time? Mabey we send them buckets of toxic waste so they either submit or get radiation poisioning.;)*makes note not to piss Mitchell82 off*

:cameron:

I think that one good argument for there being an S5 for Atlantis would be for that elusive 100th episode. Also, something about...uh...syndicate needing five seasons to show or some such?

*is clueless about the complex workings of the American TV production companies and stations*

*just dreamin' and wishin' and hopin' and prayin'*
;)

Sel.

Ruffles
July 18th, 2007, 06:17 AM

You're right.

*makes note not to piss Mitchell82 off*

I think that one good argument for there being an S5 for Atlantis would be for that elusive 100th episode. Also, something about...uh...syndicate needing five seasons to show or some such?

*is clueless about the complex workings of the American TV production companies and stations*

;)

Sel.

First, SGA is already in syndication in the US. That's why you still have to keep S3 in spoilers. Second, other shows (Farscape) are sold without 5 seasons so it can be done.

One reason I think we'll get a season 5 is the fact that SG-1 ended this year and BSG is ending next year. To lose BSG and SGA at the same time would be a big blow unless one of their new shows becomes a break-out hit.

Briangate78
July 18th, 2007, 07:02 AM
You're right.

First, SGA is already in syndication in the US. That's why you still have to keep S3 in spoilers. Second, other shows (Farscape) are sold without 5 seasons so it can be done.

One reason I think we'll get a season 5 is the fact that SG-1 ended this year and BSG is ending next year. To lose BSG and SGA at the same time would be a big blow unless one of their new shows becomes a break-out hit.

LOL, PKJ is the future of Sci-fi! :p Dr. Who has a limited fan base, Ghost Hunters are getting ratings slightly below SGA was, and well the only show besides SGA that pulls in good ratings is Eureka. I do not see any new shows really taking off right now.

They need to stick with the current franchises, meaning a 5th season of SGA, bring back Farscape after those webisodes, and well pick up SGU. :p

Anyway, you make a good point. With SG-1 and BSG gone, what show will carry in the 2nd half of 2008? Eureka cannot be on all the time. ECW has already been slipping in ratings. Soooooo....

Ruffles
July 18th, 2007, 07:15 AM
[/b]

LOL, PKJ is the future of Sci-fi! :p Dr. Who has a limited fan base, Ghost Hunters are getting ratings slightly below SGA was, and well the only show besides SGA that pulls in good ratings is Eureka. I do not see any new shows really taking off right now.

They need to stick with the current franchises, meaning a 5th season of SGA, bring back Farscape after those webisodes, and well pick up SGU. :p

Anyway, you make a good point. With SG-1 and BSG gone, what show will carry in the 2nd half of 2008? Eureka cannot be on all the time. ECW has already been slipping in ratings. Soooooo....

I was referring to the new shows they've been advertising as coming this fall (Flash Gordon, Tin Man, etc). Although I'll say I don't see any of them as being break-out hits, but I've been known to be wrong. :D

I don't think they will bring back Farscape, at least in the form we knew it.

I think with solid writing and good promotion that S5 will happen.

Briangate78
July 18th, 2007, 07:20 AM
I was referring to the new shows they've been advertising as coming this fall (Flash Gordon, Tin Man, etc). Although I'll say I don't see any of them as being break-out hits, but I've been known to be wrong. :D

I don't think they will bring back Farscape, at least in the form we knew it.

I think with solid writing and good promotion that S5 will happen.

I am going out on a limb here by saying, its a fact that the odds of a Season 5 are for it rather than against it. :)

Mitchell82
July 18th, 2007, 09:19 AM
*makes note not to piss Mitchell82 off*

Don't worry I'm nice I swear!;)

That is a good point though I think it is four seasons.

;)

Sel.

We all are my friend.

Mitchell82
July 18th, 2007, 09:21 AM

I think so too. It would be a huge financial blow to them to loose three shows in less than two years.

scifi_lemon
July 18th, 2007, 11:02 AM
I think so too. It would be a huge financial blow to them to loose three shows in less than two years.

ITA. It doesn't make sense NOT to give SGA a 5th season or more.

Briangate78
July 18th, 2007, 11:16 AM
By September 2008 Sci-fi should have 3 seasons airing as reairs, and if a 5th season happens, will run along that, while season 4 hits Syndication.

scifi_lemon
July 18th, 2007, 11:18 AM
By September 2008 Sci-fi should have 3 seasons airing as reairs, and if a 5th season happens, will run along that, while season 4 hits Syndication.

When that happens, let's hope that they stop playing the first 8 eps of S1. Maybe they'd get some better ratings then.

Mitchell82
July 18th, 2007, 01:37 PM
When that happens, let's hope that they stop playing the first 8 eps of S1. Maybe they'd get some better ratings then.

I know have they even aired the other eps in syndication.

Briangate78
July 18th, 2007, 02:35 PM

They don't play enough season 7 or 8 eps. Plus with 9 coming back and 10 going into syndication it should get more viewers who have missed 9, last year on Sci-fi.

scifi_lemon
July 19th, 2007, 02:12 PM
I know have they even aired the other eps in syndication.

Occasionally they do, but usually its the same few eps.

They don't play enough season 7 or 8 eps. Plus with 9 coming back and 10 going into syndication it should get more viewers who have missed 9, last year on Sci-fi.

ITA.

maximusvii
July 19th, 2007, 03:03 PM
i dont understand scifi, they need all the shows they can get. and then they cancel sg1, i cant see them doing sga, its relatively new still. sg1 was stopped cos it was too expensive, i wonder how sga is in terms of expense.

jenks
July 19th, 2007, 03:49 PM
It's ratio of ratings to cost that is the deciding factor, there will come a point where the ratings won't justify the cost. Unfortunately we don't know when that is...

Briangate78
July 19th, 2007, 05:57 PM
It's ratio of ratings to cost that is the deciding factor, there will come a point where the ratings won't justify the cost. Unfortunately we don't know when that is...

Good point. There are factors that determine a flexibility in ratings. A good example would be BSG v. SG-1! BSG 3rd season pulled in a 1.3 average. SG-1's was at a 1.4 or even a 1.5! Not sure the exact but I can tell you SG-1 and SGA had better ratings than BSG.

Anyway, getting to my point, lol. BSG can afford to have less ratings since Sci-fi owns BSG and they profit from DVD sales. Now you see how well SG DVDs sell. If the network got a piece of that, well we would see a season 11 forum here, lol. Oh and a almost certain SGA season 5 forum. :p

This happened to Family Guy, which was not pulling in the best ratings. DVD sales were through the roof, and Fox brought it back and it's now going into it's 6th season.

I still feel ratings are not accurate, they say they account for Tivo/DVR, and whatnot. But they do not count all the households sadly, because they cannot.

Mitchell82
July 20th, 2007, 02:48 PM

Hopefully not for a very long time.

Ruffles
July 20th, 2007, 07:48 PM

Agreed. However, I'm looking at it as fortunately. I'd rather live in hope than know when the end is. I know, I'm funny that way.

M82 - is that a new sig I see?

Mitchell82
July 22nd, 2007, 08:46 AM
Agreed. However, I'm looking at it as fortunately. I'd rather live in hope than know when the end is. I know, I'm funny that way.

M82 - is that a new sig I see?

ITA and yes it is.

Koshi700
July 28th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Well, I for one, do think that there will at least be a season 5. Why, do you ask? Well, because I was one of the more ticked off fans until about a month ago when I decided that I needed to stick things out and see how S4 plays out. What changed my mind? Well, first off, I just love my SGA so much that the thought of not having it to look forward to makes me sad :(, and I noticed that I had focused so much on what I proceeved as "negative" changes that I forgot to focus on the good things that are also coming in S4. So I took a month and stepped back from the forum, got my head cleared out and now I can say that I am at least looking forward to S4. I will watch and do my part to help bring in S5. I'm still not overly happy with the decisons that TPTB have made, but I now at least have found few things to look forward to, some character development for Teyla, and a bit more McKay (which is always good in my book. ;) ) to name a couple. I'm going to miss Weir and Carson with a passion, and it will take some work on my part to accept Carter into Weir's position, but I think that eventually I'll get there, I hope. That is probably the hardest change to adjust to. Sadly, if TPTB had brought Carter to SGA in a different way, I would probably be as excited as all the die-hard Carter fans. But that is a discussion for a different thread.

So, this is my long winded way of saying, Yes, I think there will be an S5, I think that many of the disgruntled fans, (and I count myself in that) will eventually find something that will bring them back to the show. For me it was mostly McKay, and the chance to get to find out more about Teyla, who is to me the most mysterious of all the characters. People are just angry at the changes and also with how a few of TPTB have responded when confronted with said upset fans. (Public Relations classes anyone? *grins*) But all in all I think the tide will turn in SGA's favor, especially when the new season starts, fans won't be able to resist tuning in at least once in awhile, I don't care how loud they scream that they won't. I do the samething with CSI Miami, and I'm so disgusted with that show right now I could puke. ;)

Okay shutting up now. ;P

Long live SGA!!!

firefly30
July 28th, 2007, 10:14 AM
I do think there will be a 5th season. Not just cause because I am an optimist. :)

SciFi will already lose BSG as mentioned above and I think they'll understand they cannot totally rely on 'new' shows to carry the channel. SGA had such a huge fanbase, they cannot look past that. It's (sadly) about ratings and advertising money and though the ratings may have dropped they will never be low.

Briangate78
July 31st, 2007, 11:11 AM
Knowing they still have over 2 million viewers for Stargate they are not going to give that up. If SGA was averaging under a 1.0 HH rating then we should be worried. It ended with a 1.4 overall season average. Again, long hiatus killed the ratings for the 2nd half.

I truly believe the season 4 premiere will have huge numbers, since the states are getting the episode first. Everyone and their grandma must tune into the show. :p I know a lot of SG-1 fans will be watching who did not watch SGA before.

To the SGA fans who are giving up next season, cannot really say anything, it's your choice and your opinion. So, all power to you. I personally think people should give it a chance before putting the nail in the coffin. S4, could be one of the best seasons of SGA. Heck, look at SG-1's season 4. Was one of the best seasons of the series, IMO.

Teelie
July 31st, 2007, 11:41 AM
I think SGA can make 7, maybe 8 seasons before it runs out of steam. If only the Sci Fi Channel would give it that chance.

the fifth man
July 31st, 2007, 06:48 PM
I think SGA can make 7, maybe 8 seasons before it runs out of steam. If only the Sci Fi Channel would give it that chance.

Sadly, I just don't have a lot of confidence that the Sci-Fi Channel will let SGA live on until it reaches a Season 7. Hopefully they prove me wrong though.

At least getting a Season 5 though, that I think should be possible. I don't think they want to chance losing it just yet, unless numbers really tank for some reason.

Briangate78
August 1st, 2007, 06:30 AM
Sadly, I just don't have a lot of confidence that the Sci-Fi Channel will let SGA live on until it reaches a Season 7. Hopefully they prove me wrong though.

At least getting a Season 5 though, that I think should be possible. I don't think they want to chance losing it just yet, unless numbers really tank for some reason.

The numbers have not been bad at all. PKJ and Dr. Who numbers are bad. SGA ended with a 1.5 and had a season high of a 1.8 right below the Eureka premeire. The network has to see these spikes as opportunities, IMO. I know the season 4 premiere should bring in good numbers. Heck, if we get to at least a 5th season Sci-fi can promote SGA's 100th episode the end of next year. :p That will attract more viewers.

jenks
August 1st, 2007, 08:21 AM
I'm really hoping we get a season 5 now, to be honest, at this point I think I'd settle for it as the last, especially considering that Joe M has said that they won't make the 100th episode a comedy one but they'll make it a big fat juicy epic one seeing as it will be a season finale :D

Briangate78
August 1st, 2007, 09:41 AM
I'm really hoping we get a season 5 now, to be honest, at this point I think I'd settle for it as the last, especially considering that Joe M has said that they won't make the 100th episode a comedy one but they'll make it a big fat juicy epic one seeing as it will be a season finale :D

It's a little bit tougher, when you have only 20 eps per season. SG-1 had 22 up to season 7, then went to 20. So the 100th ep becomes a season finale. So I agree, no comedy just an amazing season or series finale.

It seems more and more people are optomistic that we will get a 5th season. I really feel there should be no questions asked and Sci-fi should renew the show to at least a 5th season.

ann_sgcfan
August 1st, 2007, 10:01 AM
According to JM.. thanks to the late airing of Atlantis this year... SciFi will decided if there will be a s5 based on the numbers they get in season 3. (SG-1 was cancelled in late August during the 200th episode party). So will we know about a s5 before s4 even airs... doubtful it was a couple months later before the fans knew about SG-1... If they get good numbers for s4 then that might decide on a season 6. At Comic Con, MGM did a lot of advertising this year for Atlantis and SG-1movies That's always good news. :D

The one downside is when season 5 goes into production (2008) they will only have one show in production... no stargate movies this time around (because the first movies will just be coming out on DVD in early 2008 and the 2nd movie will be in ... what did they say fall 2008?) So they will have less money for production. Where as before the two shows would share the costs on some things.

jenks
August 1st, 2007, 10:15 AM
Nope, a few of the season 4 episodes will have aired before the decision has to be made.

Briangate78
August 1st, 2007, 10:39 AM
Nope, a few of the season 4 episodes will have aired before the decision has to be made.

Yeah, because of the way the new season falls they can see the first couple of eps before they make a decision. Hopefully "Adrift" has numbers really high. I truly feel they have made a decision already and it's for a 5th season. But let's wait and see. :)

creed462
August 1st, 2007, 12:09 PM
it also depends on how much the show cost. They have dropped many of the long time actor so it may not cost as much as SG1

jenks
August 1st, 2007, 12:24 PM
It definitely won't cost as much as SG-1, after 10 years the actors wages much of been huge...

Listy
August 1st, 2007, 01:18 PM
A big fat yes to a season 5 from me :D and I even hope for a season six but I am not greedy. Here's hoping the first few eps of Season 4 get strong rating, to secure a fifth season.

Quick question.....
Do ratings of other countries count towards the decision or just the US?

jenks
August 1st, 2007, 01:22 PM
As long as it stays on Sci Fi, just the US :(

Listy
August 1st, 2007, 01:26 PM
As long as it stay on Sci Fi, just the US :(

Oh well, not a lot I can do to help then. I will be watching in the UK regardless, hoping with everything crossed for a fifth Season :D

scifi_lemon
August 1st, 2007, 01:32 PM
Oh well, not a lot I can do to help then. I will be watching in the UK regardless, hoping with everything crossed for a fifth Season :D

I'm in the US so I'll be sure to watch it live and not record it. Here's hoping for a season 5 and beyond!

Briangate78
August 1st, 2007, 05:44 PM
Why I think there will be a 5th season..

Season finale pulled in about 2 million viewers even after the long hiatus and people used other viewing methods

BSG ending next year, the network will turn to their flagship franchise Stargate

Howe, VP of the network says "he could never see SCI FI in the short or long term without Stargate."
Source here (http://"I%20could%20never%20see%20SCI%20FI%20in%20the%20short%20or%20long%20term%20witho ut%20Stargate.")

The cost of production is a lot less, since Sci-fi only has to pay for one show

5 Seasons will produce a 100th episode which can be promoted by Sci-fi and attract viewers

The 10pm slot is a good sign. That is the anchor time for a main show, like BSG was when it ran along both Stargates

SG-1 fans will be tuning into SGA who have not watched it before.

Stargate Atlantis is going to be huge next season, it's going to be an amazing season filled with good drama, action, adventure, mystery, suspense, and the ever so comic relief. I have a lot of faith in this show. Everyone just needs to support the heck out of it. :P

scifi_lemon
August 1st, 2007, 07:10 PM

Season finale pulled in about 2 million viewers even after the long hiatus and people used other viewing methods

BSG ending next year, the network will turn to their flagship franchise Stargate

Howe, VP of the network says "he could never see SCI FI in the short or long term without Stargate."
Source here (http://"I%20could%20never%20see%20SCI%20FI%20in%20the%20short%20or%20long%20term%20witho ut%20Stargate.")

The cost of production is a lot less, since Sci-fi only has to pay for one show

5 Seasons will produce a 100th episode which can be promoted by Sci-fi and attract viewers

The 10pm slot is a good sign. That is the anchor time for a main show, like BSG was when it ran along both Stargates

Stargate Atlantis is going to be huge next season, it's going to be an amazing season filled with good drama, action, adventure, mystery, suspense, and the ever so comic relief. I have a lot of faith in this show. Everyone just needs to support the heck out of it. :P

Great summary. ITA with all the above.

the fifth man
August 1st, 2007, 07:18 PM
It seems more and more people are optomistic that we will get a 5th season. I really feel there should be no questions asked and Sci-fi should renew the show to at least a 5th season.

Sadly, that just isn't the way they do things at Sci-Fi Channel.:( IMO, they like to keep us guessing what move they'll make.

Briangate78
August 2nd, 2007, 08:52 AM
Well look at what they are doing to "The Dresden Files" I actually like that show a lot, and the fans are really upset, because Sci-fi has not made a decision yet.

Wow, 10 pages on this topic, niiiiiiiiiiiice! :p

Prometheus 1
August 2nd, 2007, 11:39 AM
Honestly I see it quite possible for Atlantis to run as long as SG-1. But i'd be grateful to just get seven years.

scifi_lemon
August 2nd, 2007, 12:51 PM
Sadly, that just isn't the way they do things at Sci-Fi Channel.:( IMO, they like to keep us guessing what move they'll make.

Very true. I've never known Skiffy to abide by reason and rationality before, so who knows if they'll renew or not. Even though it logically doesn't make sense, I could see it going either way.

Mitchell82
August 2nd, 2007, 08:08 PM
Well look at what they are doing to "The Dresden Files" I actually like that show a lot, and the fans are really upset, because Sci-fi has not made a decision yet.

Wow, 10 pages on this topic, niiiiiiiiiiiice! :p

Well it isn't doing aswell as SGA or Eureka, but as much as I want a fifth season I don't trust scifi but if they do cancel I'll......:samanime15:

Listy
August 3rd, 2007, 02:03 PM
Well it isn't doing aswell as SGA or Eureka, but as much as I want a fifth season I don't trust scifi but if they do cancel I'll......:samanime15:

O/T Dresden Files
Josie (a_pilgrim_soul) has just posted on her LJ to let us know that The Dresden Files has been cancelled :( check it out. I am sad, as it was one of the few shows I bother to watch.

i_adore_atlantis
August 3rd, 2007, 07:01 PM
O/T Dresden Files
Josie (a_pilgrim_soul) has just posted on her LJ to let us know that The Dresden Files has been cancelled :( check it out. I am sad, as it was one of the few shows I bother to watch.

I never watched The Dresden Files, so it's not like I feel sad or anything. But it bothers me. According to what I've read at SyFy Portal, The Dresden Files got ratings slightly below BSG (1.37 vs 1.39). SGA is not that far above in average (if you consider the whole season, not just the first half). I think SGA's s3 average was 1.41 or something like that... Not really a significant difference. And I have to assume The Dresden Files cost them less than SGA... You know what this could mean about SGA's future, right? :( Hope I'm wrong :(

chocdoc
August 3rd, 2007, 07:25 PM
I never watched The Dresden Files, so it's not like I feel sad or anything. But it bothers me. According to what I've read at SyFy Portal, The Dresden Files got ratings slightly below BSG (1.37 vs 1.39). SGA is not that far above in average (if you consider the whole season, not just the first half). I think SGA's s3 average was 1.41 or something like that... Not really a significant difference. And I have to assume The Dresden Files cost them less than SGA... You know what this could mean about SGA's future, right? :( Hope I'm wrong :(

I believe that Syfy Portal reports that The Dresden Files got a 1.37 rating just for its season premiere -- so it is not an average rating for the whole season. I think that the show's ratings went down from there during the course of its run. I recall that sometimes it got below a 1.0. I'm not really sure what its average was, but it wasn't very good, and certainly below Atlantis.

I do think, though, that SGA's ratings have to get better in the beginning of season 4 than in the second half of season 3. I think the continual decline in the ratings over time may be one reason why we are seeing these changes to the show. I think TPTB are at least hoping that they won't lose any more viewers for SGA even though SGA won't be paired with SG-1 anymore on Friday nights.

pie eater general
August 4th, 2007, 04:08 AM
But wait... aren't there multiple sets of powers that be in action here? All this talk of ratings is based on American audience figures - some of these shows people are referring to ('Eureka', 'The Dresden Files') are pretty obscure, and however good they may be, I doubt they have the same global appeal as the Stargate franchise. Even if SGA's ratings don't clamber that much higher than these other series, the show itself is still marketable all over the world.

So I am confused... who exactly will be the powers that be that take the plug-pulling decision? Will it be Sci Fi, who air the show in the US, or will it MGM, who own the rights to the show (I think)?

I would find it difficult to believe that SGA could be axed purely on the grounds of US TV ratings.

gange57
August 4th, 2007, 07:43 AM

The only reason Atlantis pulled in so many viewers was because it aired after SG1's series finale. The second half of season three averaged a 1.2. That is more indicative of Atlantis' audience than those two million viewers.

BSG ending next year, the network will turn to their flagship franchise Stargate.

I think one of the prerequisites to be considered a "flagship" is high ratings. That is no longer the case for SGA. It's ratings for the second half of the season were on par with TDF, which in it's first season was probably much cheaper than SGA, and SciFi pulled the plug on that show. SGA's ratings are below Ghost Hunters, Eureka, ECW, SciFi movies, etc. Eureka is probably considered SciFi's flagship show.

I don't see how this supports a fifth season pickup. The interviewer specifically asked about Atlantis and Howe spun it around to the franchise. Maybe, he's talking about Atlantis. Maybe, SGU. Or, maybe, he is just talking about SG1 reruns. We don't really know.

A fifth season of Farscape would have produced a 100th episode which could have been promoted by Sci-fi and attract viewers. Look how that turned out.

In theory, this may be true. But after three seasons, I don't see too many SG1-only fans finally giving SGA a try.

To answer the question: No, I don't think Atlantis will see a fifth season. Because of what I mentioned above coupled with a fall premiere, cast changes, and a weak lineup; S4 will be Atlantis' last. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if SGA has already been cancelled.

Promethius30
August 4th, 2007, 08:07 AM
I really hope there is season 5 and i think there will be

Col. Shadow Quinn
August 4th, 2007, 12:32 PM
There better be a Season 5 of Stargate Atlantis.

Briangate78
August 4th, 2007, 03:23 PM

I believe that Syfy Portal reports that The Dresden Files got a 1.37 rating just for its season premiere -- so it is not an average rating for the whole season. I think that the show's ratings went down from there during the course of its run. I recall that sometimes it got below a 1.0. I'm not really sure what its average was, but it wasn't very good, and certainly below Atlantis.

I do think, though, that SGA's ratings have to get better in the beginning of season 4 than in the second half of season 3. I think the continual decline in the ratings over time may be one reason why we are seeing these changes to the show. I think TPTB are at least hoping that they won't lose any more viewers for SGA even though SGA won't be paired with SG-1 anymore on Friday nights.

SGA Season 3 averaged a 1.4 roughly
BSG season 3 Averaged a 1.3
TDF was about a 1.2
ECW is averaging a 1.5
Dr. Who and PKJ are both below a 1.0
Ghost Hunters is at about a 1.3

So um i think SGA should be fine.

The entire network has been down.

Briangate78
August 4th, 2007, 03:26 PM
But wait... aren't there multiple sets of powers that be in action here? All this talk of ratings is based on American audience figures - some of these shows people are referring to ('Eureka', 'The Dresden Files') are pretty obscure, and however good they may be, I doubt they have the same global appeal as the Stargate franchise. Even if SGA's ratings don't clamber that much higher than these other series, the show itself is still marketable all over the world.

So I am confused... who exactly will be the powers that be that take the plug-pulling decision? Will it be Sci Fi, who air the show in the US, or will it MGM, who own the rights to the show (I think)?

I would find it difficult to believe that SGA could be axed purely on the grounds of US TV ratings.

Sci-fi also makes money on the reairs. If they have 5 seasons to reair it is more of a profit to them. Same way how they made money on SG-1. Which they are filling Friday's gaps with Reairs of SG-1 including some S10 eps. SGA does better than SG-1 in Syndication. So when the eps return to Sci-fi, they can reair them.

scifi_lemon
August 4th, 2007, 04:30 PM
I think one of the prerequisites to be considered a "flagship" is high ratings. That is no longer the case for SGA. It's ratings for the second half of the season were on par with TDF, which in it's first season was probably much cheaper than SGA, and SciFi pulled the plug on that show. SGA's ratings are below Ghost Hunters, Eureka, ECW, SciFi movies, etc. Eureka is probably considered SciFi's flagship show.

That is not true. SGA is one of SciFi's top three shows.

SGA S3: about 1.4
BSG S3: 1.3
TDF: 1.2
ECW: 1.5
Dr. Who and PKJ: 1.0
Ghost Hunters: 1.3

Briangate78
August 4th, 2007, 04:54 PM

Those numbers are pretty acurate. Eureka also has been down in ratings. No show has seen a 2.0+ since like last year.

gange57
August 4th, 2007, 06:19 PM

If you want to judge the size of SGA's audience today, it is probably best to use recent numbers. I understand why you want to include the ratings for the first half of the season (1.6 avg), but bear in mind, those numbers are a year old. It took SG1's series finale to get SGA within sniffing distance of that 1.6. As I said earlier, 1.2 is a better indication of Atlantis' audience. Just take a look (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=32557&page=4#158) where Atlantis ranked in the second half of the season. One week it nearly fell out of the Top Ten. Some weeks, SGA's ratings aren't much better than Enterprise. Not good.

Ruffles
August 4th, 2007, 08:13 PM

I hate to tell you, hon, but you need to believe it. SciFi has bought the rights to air SGA from MGM, and SciFi determines what is shown on its channel. They base this decision on production cost versus how much advertisers are willing to pay to put commercials in a program. The cost to air the commercial is determined by ratings. It's a US channel with US advertising based on US ratings.

No matter how big the worldwide appeal of the show, the commercials aren't being shown outside the US, and that's what pays to keep the show on the air. The higher the ratings, the more SciFi can charge for commercials (and more advertisers are willing to vie for a slot) which increases the bottom line. It's all about the money. Don't let anyone tell you any differently.

Briangate78
August 4th, 2007, 08:20 PM
If you want to judge the size of SGA's audience today, it is probably best to use recent numbers. I understand why you want to include the ratings for the first half of the season (1.6 avg), but bear in mind, those numbers are a year old. It took SG1's series finale to get SGA within sniffing distance of that 1.6. As I said earlier, 1.2 is a better indication of Atlantis' audience. Just take a look (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=32557&page=4#158) where Atlantis ranked in the second half of the season. One week it nearly fell out of the Top Ten. Some weeks, SGA's ratings aren't much better than Enterprise. Not good.

Like i've been saying those low ratings were a lot of factors. One being the long hiatus. If you look at the mid-season opener, it scored a 1.4 next to SG-1's 1.5. Now it gets better, SGA only fell to a 1.3 where SG-1 fell to a 1.2. So what does that tell you? A lot of fans watched the shows during the hiatus by other viewing methods because by Jan, the entire season had been over in other regions, while the U.S had to wait till April to even start the 2nd half.

I can tell you this. If SGA's season 4 premiere scores higher than a 1.5, we will see a Season 5, no doubt.

What will the network have left if SGA goes in 2008? BSG, SG-1, TDF will have been gone by then. Eureka alone cannot support the network. ECW is falling below a 1.5 now. This is what the network is going to be looking at..

Season 3 Premiere 1.5
Season 3 mid-finale 1.6
Season 3 2nd half premiere 1.4
Season 3 Finale 1.5
Season 4 Premiere TBD

Good numbers considering the downfall of the ENTIRE network. We have less than 2 months to go, so we will know soon. I just hope that you want to see a 5th season and are hoping you are wrong. I also hope you are not just posting this to get a rise out of people. If you are sincere about SGA and want to see it continue then its all good. If you want it to end, then maybe you might not want to post in a SGA fan forum. Just my opinion.

gange57
August 4th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Like i've been saying those low ratings were a lot of factors. One being the long hiatus. If you look at the mid-season opener, it scored a 1.4 next to SG-1's 1.5. Now it gets better, SGA only fell to a 1.3 where SG-1 fell to a 1.2. So what does that tell you?

It tells me that your numbers are wrong. LITS and Echoes drew a 1.1 and 1.2, respectively. I agree about the long hiatus, though.

I can tell you this. If SGA's season 4 premiere scores higher than a 1.5, we will see a Season 5, no doubt.

I doubt SciFi will make a decision based upon one episode. In fact, I don't think season four's numbers will play a huge role towards renewal. JM has even said so.

What will the network have left if SGA goes in 2008? BSG, SG-1, TDF will have been gone by then. Eureka alone cannot support the network. ECW is falling below a 1.5 now. This is what the network is going to be looking at..

Dunno. Other programming (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=39447) SciFi has in development? You make it sound like SGA is a huge ratings grabber and SciFi has nothing without it. I already provided a link that showed how Atlantis performed in the second half relative to other programs. It isn't good. If SciFi can find cheaper and better performing programs than SGA, it will be dropped. Let's not forget, Atlantis will be in its fourth year on SciFi. Considering most of their programs don't last that long, I think SciFi is looking at SGA as "old."

Season 3 Premiere 1.5
Season 3 mid-finale 1.6
Season 3 2nd half premiere 1.4
Season 3 Finale 1.5
Season 4 Premiere TBD

I have to admit. That is rather impressive spin. At first glance, one would think Season 3 faired well and there wasn't much fluctuation.

Ratings for Eps. 3x12-3x19: 1.2, 1.3, 1.1, 1.2, 1.2, 1.1, 1.2, and 1.2.

If you want it to end, then maybe you might not want to post in a SGA fan forum. Just my opinion.

I'll leave it up to the mods for suggestions where I should post. Thanks for the advice, though. :rolleyes:

Teelie
August 4th, 2007, 09:24 PM
As far as I know, none of those Sci Fi Channel announced shows in January have any airings this year and other than Pain Killer Jane and a few other smaller rated shows, haven't shown anything new for the summer/fall line up. Which is a shame because some of them look promising.

At this rate SGA is about the only thing besides Eureka and wrestling that seem to keep the channel afloat. Their made-for-tv movies are abominable and I doubt they earn decent ratings though the network does seem to love blowing their budget on it.

Then again, this is Sci Fi who canceled one of their top rated series, Farscape. Any network that can cancel their top-rated series like that can't be run very well.

Briangate78
August 5th, 2007, 05:45 AM
As far as I know, none of those Sci Fi Channel announced shows in January have any airings this year and other than Pain Killer Jane and a few other smaller rated shows, haven't shown anything new for the summer/fall line up. Which is a shame because some of them look promising.

At this rate SGA is about the only thing besides Eureka and wrestling that seem to keep the channel afloat. Their made-for-tv movies are abominable and I doubt they earn decent ratings though the network does seem to love blowing their budget on it.

Then again, this is Sci Fi who canceled one of their top rated series, Farscape. Any network that can cancel their top-rated series like that can't be run very well.

Like I said above SGA has been the 2nd or 3rd best show. Now with Eureka's ratings and ECW's ratings also falling who knows. SGA might end up on top next season. The 1.2's that were discussed above were the results of the long hiatus and major movie competition. The gates had to compete with movies like Pirates of the Caribbean, Shrek 3, Spiderman 3, and Fantastic Four. yeah small movies that made hardly anything at the box office, lol. So a lot of fans used the good ol Tivo box.

vaberella
August 5th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Finding out in an earlier post that Dresden Files has been cancelled...My brain is trying to process how PKJ will have a S2 but Dresden (which I thought was bad, but not as bad as PKJ) doesn't. I understand people say production costs, but really I thought PKJ had more cost with all it's broken glass and special affects. Plus the main girl is rather known if you saw Terminator 3, while I don't know a soul on the Dresden Files. I don't get it.

I think PKJ has more than monetary leverage. It's not possible one goes and the one that turns out the worst ratings I've ever seen in history is still managing to get a S2. Ugh!!! Skiffy's on crack.

I'm going to get myself a glass of brandy, ran out of scotch. Ugh!!

Briangate78
August 5th, 2007, 07:40 AM
PKJ got renewed? Well then SGA should be renewed with no questions asked. Since it has about a million more viewers. *Sarcastic mode on* Only a million viewers? That's hardly anything. *Sarcastic mode off* :p

gange57
August 5th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Finding out in an earlier post that Dresden Files has been cancelled...My brain is trying to process how PKJ will have a S2 but Dresden (which I thought was bad, but not as bad as PKJ) doesn't. I understand people say production costs, but really I thought PKJ had more cost with all it's broken glass and special affects. Plus the main girl is rather known if you saw Terminator 3, while I don't know a soul on the Dresden Files. I don't get it.

I think PKJ has more than monetary leverage. It's not possible one goes and the one that turns out the worst ratings I've ever seen in history is still managing to get a S2. Ugh!!! Skiffy's on crack.

I'm going to get myself a glass of brandy, ran out of scotch. Ugh!!

Do you have a link for PKJ's renewal? I've searched and came up empty.

Teelie
August 5th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Like I said above SGA has been the 2nd or 3rd best show. Now with Eureka's ratings and ECW's ratings also falling who knows. SGA might end up on top next season. The 1.2's that were discussed above were the results of the long hiatus and major movie competition. The gates had to compete with movies like Pirates of the Caribbean, Shrek 3, Spiderman 3, and Fantastic Four. yeah small movies that made hardly anything at the box office, lol. So a lot of fans used the good ol Tivo box.

Bit of the "blame the movies" there thinking? That doesn't hold that much water though. I saw all those movies and was still easily able to watch the shows and the shows did not have a noticiable decline in line with x-movie coming out either. There were pretty much a steady line all the way.

Briangate78
August 5th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Bit of the "blame the movies" there thinking? That doesn't hold that much water though. I saw all those movies and was still easily able to watch the shows and the shows did not have a noticiable decline in line with x-movie coming out either. There were pretty much a steady line all the way.

I've been watching the ratings closey for Sci-fi. Hardly any show or movie hits over a 2.0 anymore. Now if SGA is going to be getting the 1.5's and 1.6's there should be no question.

ECW the last few weeks pulled in these numbers 1.4, 1.2, 1.4! I mean come on. the SGA finale hit a 1.5! Even the mid-season premiere (Return part 2) hit a 1.4!

Teelie
August 5th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Yes, but movies aren't to blame. It's ineptitude and poor scheduling on Sci Fi's part. They did the same thing a lot of other networks did and had this long and drawn out mid-season break and that surely did not help. There are always new movies coming out or something else on another network or something else to draw away viewers. They are constants and shouldn't be used as an excuse to shuffle off the network's own responsibility to their shows.

SGA getting moved to a 10pm timeslot might be a good thing this season or it might be the biggest disaster yet depending on how well it can fare against the competition. Sci Fi is like every other network in this respect and completely clueless in how to do competitive programming or counter it themselves.

Briangate78
August 5th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Eureka 1.6
Ghost Hunters 1.5
ECW 1.3
Destination Truth 1.1
Atomic Twister 1.1
Star Trek Enterprise 1.0
Tornado 0.9
Dinotopia part one 0.9
Dinotopia part two 0.9
Dinotopia part three 0.9

Source: Nielsen Galaxy Report, 7/16/07 -- 7/22/07

Remember, SGA averaged a 1.4 last season soooooooo.

Dr. Who and PKJ did not even make the top 10 once again, ECW falls once again below a 1.4!

Sorry to be blunt, I am just trying to keep everyone's hope up! :)

Teelie
August 6th, 2007, 11:50 AM
The mere fact ECW is losing ratings now makes me happy. The sooner it drops down below 1.0 the better.

Briangate78
August 6th, 2007, 12:17 PM
The mere fact ECW is losing ratings now makes me happy. The sooner it drops down below 1.0 the better.

Also SGA was getting a 1.6 for multiple eps the first half. The long hiatus lost viewers, but since Season 4 is starting first on Sci-fi, more people will watch it there first. I really think this gives even more hope for SGA. Even it's low 1.2 still puts it in the top 5 for the network of not just this week but multiple weeks.

MartianManhunter
August 6th, 2007, 12:24 PM
If there isnt a season 5 of SGA i think im gonna give up on the Sci-Fi channel all together! They've already cancelled SG1 & Battlestar Galactica and if they keep going at this rate there wont be any sci fi originals!

Briangate78
August 6th, 2007, 12:30 PM
If there isnt a season 5 of SGA i think im gonna give up on the Sci-Fi channel all together! They've already cancelled SG1 & Battlestar Galactica and if they keep going at this rate there wont be any sci fi originals!

It's why I want to see ECW fail, it doesn't belong on Sci-fi. ECW is now falling below what SGA averaged, gotta love it! :p

SGFerrit
August 6th, 2007, 12:31 PM

BSG was cancelled by the producers. IMO this works in Atlantis' favour.

gange57
August 6th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Eureka 1.6
Ghost Hunters 1.5
ECW 1.3
Destination Truth 1.1
Atomic Twister 1.1
Star Trek Enterprise 1.0
Tornado 0.9
Dinotopia part one 0.9
Dinotopia part two 0.9
Dinotopia part three 0.9

Source: Nielsen Galaxy Report, 7/16/07 -- 7/22/07

Remember, SGA averaged a 1.4 last season soooooooo.

Dr. Who and PKJ did not even make the top 10 once again, ECW falls once again below a 1.4!

Sorry to be blunt, I am just trying to keep everyone's hope up! :)

If you haven't yet, I think you should watch this video (http://stargate.mgm.com/video.php?id=62), particularly what PM says at the end.

Briangate78
August 6th, 2007, 02:03 PM
If you haven't yet, I think you should watch this video (http://stargate.mgm.com/video.php?id=62), particularly what PM says at the end.

Episode 3.11 - 1.4
Episode 3.12 - 1.3
Epiosde 3.20 - 1.5

All these puts SGA in the top 3 of Sci-fi's top shows. Thanks for the video makes me support my theory. :)

Heck, even the 1.2's fall in the top 5. Remember, major box office competition (Friday nights) and long hiatus, overseas and different regions already aired the eps for the 2nd half.

timtonruben359
August 7th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Odds are yes there will be a 5th season. While ratings are always a factor, networks generally don't make a lot of money on a show unless it's sold into syndication. The magic number for syndication is 100 episodes. For example, Enterprise wasn't cancelled after its 3rd season in order for it to finish a 100 episode run.

gange57
August 7th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Episode 3.11 - 1.4
Episode 3.12 - 1.3
Epiosde 3.20 - 1.5

All these puts SGA in the top 3 of Sci-fi's top shows. Thanks for the video makes me support my theory. :)

Heck, even the 1.2's fall in the top 5. Remember, major box office competition (Friday nights) and long hiatus, overseas and different regions already aired the eps for the 2nd half.

I understand you want to "keep morale up." Optimism is nice. However, hand picking SGA's "better" numbers to prove your point isn't really helping, especially when they aren't providing a complete view of the situation. PM said that a season five renewal was dependent upon the ratings for the second half of season three, not just Eps. 3x11, 3x12, and 3x20. Of course, that is assuming that the ratings for those episodes are considered "good."

As was pointed out earlier; blaming movies, or any other form of competition, for declining ratings is just an excuse. Atlantis has always aired when the big box office movies were released and they're ratings were never this low. Competition always exist; whether it's Spiderman 3, the latest Harry Potter book release, or an episode of X-treme Quilting on Spike is besides the point. All that matter is how Atlantis performs against the competition. Maybe, JM's words (http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2007/06/june-7-2007.html) will sway you.

A lot of you have been asking about a possible fifth season pick-up and I can honestly say that, at present, I haven’t a clue how things will shake out. I am, of course, hopeful that Atlantis will go another season, but the sad reality is the show’s ratings are down. Yes, cable, the networks, and, according to a recent article at tvweek.com, the syndication market in general, have taken an across-the-board hit and our six month lay-off certainly didn’t help, nor, I’m sure, does the fact that our tech-savvy audience has online access to episodes well before they air on SciFi. Still, the bottom line remains the numbers are down and numbers are something broadcasters tend to look at when deciding whether a show will be coming back or not. We all feel very strongly about the quality of the episodes we’ve produced for Atlantis’s fourth season but, by the time they finally air, the show’s fate could already be sealed. Which is why the upcoming final three third season episodes are so important. I think it’s unrealistic to expect the show to pull in the numbers it used to, but on the other hand I strongly believe that an uptick in our ratings over these next three weeks could go a long way toward securing a rosy future for Stargate fans. Yes, petitions and letter-writing campaigns are terrific ways to express one’s passion for a series, but the best way to keep a show alive is by supporting it while it’s still on the air. So in the next three weeks - Tune in. Get your friends and family and casual acquaintances to tune in as well. In the end, it’ll be our fans who make the difference.

The fact that TPTB are candidly speaking about ratings should be a red flag for all fans. It's not good sign when TPTB are asking people to watch.

SGFerrit
August 7th, 2007, 01:31 PM
A big factor in the fall in ratings was the mid season break. It seems everyone accepts that.

MG has said it himself in his new Gateworld Interview. If you like a show, and you can go get it off you tube in minutes 4 months before it airs. And don't come up with the BS excuse "oh, but only the real hardcore fans do that" because no, it is not just them. Atlantis and SG-1 (as with most sci fi shows) are 'internet' shows if you catch my meaning, they have a very large online fan base. word gets around if the episodes have been up online for months. Apparently, the producers and sci fi tried to really crack down on it, getting episodes pulled etc... ,but without much luck. That's how important it was.

When s4 airs, the US will once again have the first run. And after all these little clips etc.. during different shows, it seems Sci Fi are actually trying to advertise for once (and they even started that more than two months before the season airs!) Plus there will only be a short break at xmas this year, so woohoo!

Briangate78
August 7th, 2007, 02:17 PM
A big factor in the fall in ratings was the mid season break. It seems everyone accepts that.

MG has said it himself in his new Gateworld Interview. If you like a show, and you can go get it off you tube in minutes 4 months before it airs. And don't come up with the BS excuse "oh, but only the real hardcore fans do that" because no, it is not just them. Atlantis and SG-1 (as with most sci fi shows) are 'internet' shows if you catch my meaning, they have a very large online fan base. word gets around if the episodes have been up online for months. Apparently, the producers and sci fi tried to really crack down on it, getting episodes pulled etc... ,but without much luck. That's how important it was.

When s4 airs, the US will once again have the first run. And after all these little clips etc.. during different shows, it seems Sci Fi are actually trying to advertise for once (and they even started that more than two months before the season airs!) Plus there will only be a short break at xmas this year, so woohoo!

Very good point! Green all the way! :p

Anyway, that's why I see Season 4 coming in strong like a Category 5 hurricane. I think SGA will have similar ratings to what Eureka is getting now, which is between a 1.6 and 1.9. Oh wait, SGA did get that last season before the hiatus. :p Even the 1.2's and 1.3 it got were not too bad, when you look at the competition. ECW has been falling under a 1.4 for like 4 weeks now.

Just to do a rough calculation....

Season average before Hiatus - 1.6
Season average after Hiatus - 1.3

A .3 is about 400,000 to 500,000 viewers. Viewers lost because of long hiatus and alternate viewing methods.

Season finale 1.5

Got back most of those viewers.

Sci-fi will crunch the numbers. They will most likely wait to see how the first two eps do. If they are both over a 1.5, Joe M and company have a lot of work to do preparing for a 5th season. :cool:

Briangate78
August 7th, 2007, 02:24 PM
I understand you want to "keep morale up." Optimism is nice. However, hand picking SGA's "better" numbers to prove your point isn't really helping, especially when they aren't providing a complete view of the situation. PM said that a season five renewal was dependent upon the ratings for the second half of season three, not just Eps. 3x11, 3x12, and 3x20. Of course, that is assuming that the ratings for those episodes are considered "good."

As was pointed out earlier; blaming movies, or any other form of competition, for declining ratings is just an excuse. Atlantis has always aired when the big box office movies were released and they're ratings were never this low. Competition always exist; whether it's Spiderman 3, the latest Harry Potter book release, or an episode of X-treme Quilting on Spike is besides the point. All that matter is how Atlantis performs against the competition. Maybe, JM's words (http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2007/06/june-7-2007.html) will sway you.

The fact that TPTB are candidly speaking about ratings should be a red flag for all fans. It's not good sign when TPTB are asking people to watch.

Ok to point out that blog you posted. When was that said? After Sunday right? There was an uptick in the ratings, and in fact 2 million viewers tuned it for the finale, whether it was because of the SG-1 finale or not, you cannot use that as an excuse, kinda like how you said about the movie competition. I know that the show was at a 1.1 for Sunday, but the last 3 eps showed an uptick. Joe M even said it was a good sign and and pointed out the uptick. So, we have a good chance now.

3x17 Sunday 1.1
3x18 Submerssion 1.2
3x19 Vengence 1.2
3x20 First Strike 1.5

If thats not an uptick then I don't know what it. :p

SGFerrit
August 7th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Very good point! Green all the way! :p

Anyway, that's why I see Season 4 coming in strong like a Category 5 hurricane. I think SGA will have similar ratings to what Eureka is getting now, which is between a 1.6 and 1.9. Oh wait, SGA did get that last season before the hiatus. :p Even the 1.2's and 1.3 it got were not too bad, when you look at the competition. ECW has been falling under a 1.4 for like 4 weeks now.

A .3 is about 400,000 to 500,000 viewers. Viewers lost because of long hiatus and alternate viewing methods.

Season finale 1.5

Got back most of those viewers.

Sci-fi will crunch the numbers. They will most likely wait to see how the first two eps do. If they are both over a 1.5, Joe M and company have a lot of work to do preparing for a 5th season. :cool:

Thanks for the green my friend:)

The producers of Jericho blamed the 3 month hiatus (only 1/2 that of Atlantis and SG-1) for the decline in their ratings, and I don't believe the show was even available on the net!

Briangate78
August 7th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the green my friend:)

The producers of Jericho blamed the 3 month hiatus (only 1/2 that of Atlantis and SG-1) for the decline in their ratings, and I don't believe the show was even available on the net!

No problem!

As per Gange, I know they are trying to provide the facts, and so am I. In the end Sci-fi will see the show still spikes to 2 million viewers, and the show carries decent enough ratings for a few months. They have to know that they screwed up because of the long hiatus. Ratings are down across the board for every show.

Take Eureka, it was getting over a 2.0 last year. It's premiere this year just missed the 2.0 mark, and now its averaging a 1.6!

Also someone said about Syndication. Sci-fi will make money on the reairs when there are enough eps to air. They own the airing rights to SGA and SG-1 still. So you would think they would want to get more eps to reair.

Also cost of production is half now. SG-1 is gone, and don't forget they don't spend a lot of money on advertisment for SGA.

All these factors we have to consider, in the end, it comes down to one thing...

$$$$

Ruffles
August 7th, 2007, 06:34 PM

You are correct. The dip in the ratings is a very bad thing. Anyone in television knows that. I think TPTB's candid remarks on the subject are a reminder to fans of that fact.

MG: That we're fixing, by the way. I know people are kind of upset that we're being pushed to October or potentially November. But the one good thing about it is that they're going to air it, from what I understand, continuously. So you're going to get the full twenty episodes with a break in there for Christmas. So that'll be good.

Yes! *does happy dance*

Briangate78
August 7th, 2007, 06:39 PM
You are correct. The dip in the ratings is a very bad thing. Anyone in television knows that. I think TPTB's candid remarks on the subject are a reminder to fans of that fact.

It's a reminder to not illegally download the show. LOL! If the dip was just SG I'd be worried, the entire network is down, heck ECW has been getting like a 1.2 and 1.3 the past month or so.

Ruined_puzzle
August 7th, 2007, 07:30 PM
It's a reminder to not illegally download the show.

Mwhahaah. right.

gange57
August 7th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Odds are yes there will be a 5th season. While ratings are always a factor, networks generally don't make a lot of money on a show unless it's sold into syndication. The magic number for syndication is 100 episodes. For example, Enterprise wasn't cancelled after its 3rd season in order for it to finish a 100 episode run.

The following shows are in syndication with less than 100 episodes:

Star Trek TOS - 80 eps.
Sopranos - 86
Arrested Development - 53
Futurama - 72

MGM may be interested in getting more episodes for syndication. SciFi only cares about the first runs.

It's interesting. You say you are "trying to provide facts" and then you do this. There is no rough calculation needed. To be exact, Season 3.5 averaged 1.24. How does that translate into 1.3? It's interesting how you repeatedly increase the numbers for SGA and then decrease the numbers for its competition.

Ok to point out that blog you posted. When was that said? After Sunday right? There was an uptick in the ratings, and in fact 2 million viewers tuned it for the finale, whether it was because of the SG-1 finale or not, you cannot use that as an excuse, kinda like how you said about the movie competition. I know that the show was at a 1.1 for Sunday, but the last 3 eps showed an uptick. Joe M even said it was a good sign and and pointed out the uptick. So, we have a good chance now.

3x17 Sunday 1.1
3x18 Submerssion 1.2
3x19 Vengence 1.2
3x20 First Strike 1.5

If thats not an uptick then I don't know what it.

The difference between you using movies and me using the SG1 series finale should be obvious. The series finale is a one time event whereas movies are released every week. Do you think its a coincidence that the ratings for TRW went up the same night 200 aired? Again, SGA benefited SG1's special event. What were the ratings for the episode following TRW? Here's a hint: It was the same rating the episode prior to TRW received. The only difference here is that there was no episode the week after FS aired. I'd be willing to bet if there was one, it's ratings would have declined.

As for the uptick? Submersion and Vengeance got the same rating as 3x16. Not exactly huge. The 1.5 has already been discussed.

Sci-fi will make money on the reairs when there are enough eps to air. They own the airing rights to SGA and SG-1 still. So you would think they would want to get more eps to reair.

Is that why SciFi pulled the Atlantis marathon that was replacing SG1's Monday night block after only one week?

Also cost of production is half now. SG-1 is gone, and don't forget they don't spend a lot of money on advertisment for SGA.

I suppose you have proof of these claims.

Teelie
August 7th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Avoiding six month mid-season hiatus' is a good way to prevent people from illegally downloading. If what is said about a short X-Mas break is true, then it means there is less incentive for those in the US (about the only ratings that matter in this case) and ratings will be higher.

gopher65
August 7th, 2007, 09:32 PM
It's a reminder to not illegally download the show.
It is a reminder that white middle class males between the ages of 18 and 49 who also happen to have Neilson Boxes have to watch the show. None of the rest of us matter, because we either:

A) Aren't counted, or
B) Are not in the "key" demographic that advertisers love (and that networks therefore have to pander to)

If you don't fall into the above category then you can ... obtain ... the show without affecting SciFi's decision in any way shape or form. This is especially true for those of us who don't live in the US.

This is why the system of a single station in a single country making an internationally aired show is stupid. That station takes all the risk and reaps little of the reward, and everyone, from the makers of the show to the fans to the station itself ends up getting screwed. I don't know how this moronic model ever ended up coming into being.

Teelie
August 7th, 2007, 09:39 PM
I don't know how this moronic model ever ended up coming into being.

It's a true shame that one primary flawed form of reviewing a show's popularity is the dominate system. I'm not sure how it came about to monopolize television in the US but I have no doubt it was something underhanded, misleading and typical of a bad television premise.

Major_Griff
August 7th, 2007, 09:42 PM
When SGA S1 was airing, even though I was thoroughly enjoying the show, I said that I didn't see the show going past six seasons, just because I didn't see in my mind that the Wraith as villains could last much longer than that, if that long at all. While I think that since then the wraith may have been given more longevity, I still don't see it going more than six. Just the fact that in season four we are already questioning wheather or not there will be a fifth season is a bad sign. Of course SG-1 went on for five years after they began to question the show's future, but we we can't expect every series in the franchise to last 10 seasons. I think that six is a good standard. Its long enough that the show could be called a long running series, but it's not so long that you run into the problems of the cast getting paid more and more (I believe the original five were signed through six seasons) and actors wanting to leave the show and, while I like Ori storyline, no complete resets of the cast and story like S9-10 of SG-1.

elbo
August 7th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I think it is ovious that SGA will last until Sheppard finish "War and peace", meaning 200 episodes (1/4 in "The Return p1", 50 episodes). ;)

Amaunet
August 7th, 2007, 11:14 PM
I’m so glad they are running S4 through continuously!