PDA

View Full Version : Do you think there will be a season 5 of Stargate Atlantis?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Klenotka
September 8th, 2007, 05:30 AM
I am just curious and I am sure I asked this already. How is it with the holiday in US where is two weeks break due to Thanksgiving day? Isn´t it possible that because of this break, in Canada or UK (I am not sure where does SGA run only few days later) will get before USA again because in Canada (or UK) won´t be any break?

Now, I am sure that most of the people won´t bother with downloading bc of one week and because they will have another problems with all stuff around Thanksgiving day. But true is, that then, USA will be "the second". So it still might damage some ratings.

Isn´t it so? Or did I read the schedule wrong?

Briangate78
September 8th, 2007, 06:45 AM
How did you determine that?

Perhaps because it was the last episode of SG1 ever on TV, the last episode of a 10 year run. It was plugged constantly by skiffy. Look at SG1's 200th episode for a comparison. It also was heavily advertised, was a "nostalgia episode" for the fans, and had higher than normal ratings. SGA also had higher than normal ratings for their corresponding episode - the highest rated episode in s3. I don't think that the 200 and finale ratings are a coincidence.

That remains to be seen.

There are still no hard numbers to verify these claims, only anecdotes.

True, the lack of hiatus will mean that TPTB will have to find something else to blame if the ratings tank. Pirates perhaps?

I admire your optimism. :)

I'm not presenting my opinion as fact. I'm pointing out the lack of data in his statements and providing alternative possible explanations.

This is anecdotal. The plural of anecdote is not data.

Proof?

Again, that statement is anecdotal.

With the exception of the actual ratings and amount of viewers, everything I said is my theory. Which I believe it to be correct, but that is my opinion. The only facts that I can support are the ratings and amount of viewers. Also, I think it is a fact that downloading and the long hiatus brought S3 from a 1.6 to a 1.4 season average due to the 2nd half. I also strongly believe Sci-fi has not made a decision and is waiting to see the first few eps of Season 4. If we get around a 1.5 average to date, we'll see a 5th season if we get a lot lower than that, well it's been a great ride.

Mitchell82
September 8th, 2007, 03:14 PM
It is not a matter of unbelief. Wishing it to be so will not make it so. I want a 5th season as much as everyone else. I am enough of a realist to recognize that comparing the ratings of SGA to other shows is a waste of time. It's not important how it compares to PKJ, Flash, Dr Who, BSG or ECW. It matters that the ratings are high enough to garner good advertising dollars.

I agree that SciFi doesn't know what it's going to do yet. I think they too are waiting to see how the first few S4 eps go. They may be the most brilliant episodes ever, but it won't matter if people don't watch in sufficient numbers.

SGA could be the highest rated show on SciFi, but if it doesn't make money it will get canceled.
Good point. I just have high hopes that it will be renewed.

Mitchell82
September 8th, 2007, 03:16 PM
With the exception of the actual ratings and amount of viewers, everything I said is my theory. Which I believe it to be correct, but that is my opinion. The only facts that I can support are the ratings and amount of viewers. Also, I think it is a fact that downloading and the long hiatus brought S3 from a 1.6 to a 1.4 season average due to the 2nd half. I also strongly believe Sci-fi has not made a decision and is waiting to see the first few eps of Season 4. If we get around a 1.5 average to date, we'll see a 5th season if we get a lot lower than that, well it's been a great ride.

And I agree. The drop in ratings iMO was done by scifi's long break. Hopefully it will get high enough ratings.

Trek_Girl42
September 9th, 2007, 06:59 PM
And I agree. The drop in ratings iMO was done by scifi's long break. Hopefully it will get high enough ratings.
I don't think the drop in ratings will even matter- looking at the state of SCI-FI they almost have to renew the show for a fifth season or they won't have anything original to air!

SG-1= cancelled
Drersden Files= cancelled
Painkiller Jane= cancelled
Flash Gorden= way worse ratings (apparently)
BSG= ending next year
Eureka= top rated SCI-FI original series- but it can't carry the whole channel
Doctor Who= not a SCI-FI original, and pretty low but steady ratings
NBC repeats= here to stay, probably won't affect Atlantis's renewel one way or the other

I think I've remembered everything.

Atlantis will survive based on all that alone, and I think it will have to become SCI-FI's flagship show after BSG is over. Basically SCI-FI is going to be forced into renewing it whether they really want to or not. They can't gamble and start off a new season next year with JUST Eureka and Doctor Who returning + repeats of NBC shows and all the rest new programming, that would be laughable. Well, not really if it meant that Atlantis was cancelled. :P

I'm not even taking the BSG possible split season into account, cause that just gets complicated. But overall the cards just happen to in Atlantis's favour at the moment, so I'm not worried about cancellation. :)

Briangate78
September 9th, 2007, 07:53 PM
I don't think the drop in ratings will even matter- looking at the state of SCI-FI they almost have to renew the show for a fifth season or they won't have anything original to air!

SG-1= cancelled
Drersden Files= cancelled
Painkiller Jane= cancelled
Flash Gorden= way worse ratings (apparently)
BSG= ending next year
Eureka= top rated SCI-FI original series- but it can't carry the whole channel
Doctor Who= not a SCI-FI original, and pretty low but steady ratings
NBC repeats= here to stay, probably won't affect Atlantis's renewel one way or the other

I think I've remembered everything.

Atlantis will survive based on all that alone, and I think it will have to become SCI-FI's flagship show after BSG is over. Basically SCI-FI is going to be forced into renewing it whether they really want to or not. They can't gamble and start off a new season next year with JUST Eureka and Doctor Who returning + repeats of NBC shows and all the rest new programming, that would be laughable. Well, not really if it meant that Atlantis was cancelled. :P

I'm not even taking the BSG possible split season into account, cause that just gets complicated. But overall the cards just happen to in Atlantis's favour at the moment, so I'm not worried about cancellation. :)

The split season will not really have an effect on SGA's 5th season, imo. It will most likely get a 6 month break between S4 and S5 and would pick up in the fall. BSG split or no split would work around that. We just have to hope for some decent ratings for S4. SGA is the 2nd best (ratings wise) series(excluding ECW which is not a series) running on Sci-fi. It beat out BSG by a hair last season. Oh and SGA's finale only had 500,000 more viewers than BSG's finale, only half a million, that's small potatoes. :rolleyes: Eureka is # 1 with a 1.7 season average to date. So wait, the best series is only averaging a 1.6 to 1.7? So where does that leave SGA? Oh dangit, it only got a 1.5 for the finale and averaged a 1.4 for the entire Season 4. Yup it is way too far from the leader to even be considered for a renewal. :rolleyes:

Sorry for my sarcasm it's not toward you of course. :p

As per the SGA finale. Some say it was because of the SG-1 series finale that it got higher numbers. 2 arguements with that,

1.) If SG-1 was having a regular season finale, there would be more viewers hence better ratings. A lot of fans jumped from Scifi when they cancelled SG-1. Now we have to get these viewers back for SGA. Well that 1.5 is a good sign for people to return, plus the SG-1 fans who will be watching Carter on SGA.

2.) SGA was getting better ratings than SG-1 for the first half. Now, if there are more viewers for SGA wouldn't those viewers count as their own towards the 1.5 for the finale?

Trek_Girl42
September 9th, 2007, 08:22 PM
The split season will not really have an effect on SGA's 5th season, imo. It will most likely get a 6 month break between S4 and S5 and would pick up in the fall. BSG split or no split would work around that. We just have to hope for some decent ratings for S4. SGA is the 2nd best (ratings wise) series(excluding ECW which is not a series) running on Sci-fi. It beat out BSG by a hair last season. Oh and SGA's finale only had 500,000 more viewers than BSG's finale, only half a million, that's small potatoes. :rolleyes: Eureka is # 1 with a 1.7 season average to date. So wait, the best series is only averaging a 1.6 to 1.7? So where does that leave SGA? Oh dangit, it only got a 1.5 for the finale and averaged a 1.4 for the entire Season 4. Yup it is way too far from the leader to even be considered for a renewal. :rolleyes:

Sorry for my sarcasm it's not toward you of course. :p

As per the SGA finale. Some say it was because of the SG-1 series finale that it got higher numbers. 2 arguements with that,

1.) If SG-1 was having a regular season finale, there would be more viewers hence better ratings. A lot of fans jumped from Scifi when they cancelled SG-1. Now we have to get these viewers back for SGA. Well that 1.5 is a good sign for people to return, plus the SG-1 fans who will be watching Carter on SGA.

2.) SGA was getting better ratings than SG-1 for the first half. Now, if there are more viewers for SGA wouldn't those viewers count as their own towards the 1.5 for the finale?
Though actually the BSG split could have a little more of an impact- SCI-FI needs to use the audience of one of it's shows to help build up an audience for new programming- the three choices being Eureka, BSG, and Atlantis. Presumabley one of the driving forces behind the potential BSG split (besides trying to release two separate box sets again to make double the money :rolleyes:) would be to do that- if that were the case it's not so much the ratings that count as the critical attention. BSG gets a lot of critical attention, so any show that it's paired up with is going to get more mentions in the press, etc. This happened with The Dresden Files. Difference was that Dresden Files actually wasn't very good, and mentions in BSG related articles tended to indicate that. :P If SCI-FI made a GOOD program, their best bet is (since ratings for everything are down anyway) too pair it with something that gets more critical attention, hopefully to create more buzz. Atlantis, unfortunately doesn't get the same mentions in major columns (Ask Ausiello for example). So the question is, do they stick new shows with Atlantis (which is getting better ratings right now), or a program that gets more wide-spread attention (BSG). And do they gamble on paying more for Atlantis as costs rise each season, hopeing it'll keep us, as an audience and entice us to watch new shows. Or do they start to build a new audience from scratch. I don't think Eureka comes too far into the equation, as it's a more family oriented show, and I doubt that's the audience that SCI-FI wants to build up.

Wow, that was long winded. And I'm not sure there was much point in that, as when it comes down to it, SCI-FI couldn't survive losing SG-1, Atlantis, and BSG all in a matter of two years. I'd be concerned about a season six renewal, but not a season five. (don't they have to renegotiate contracts after season five? I sense issues there.....)

So really, I think it's more the state of the channel and it's other shows that will be the deciding factor, not the ratings so much, which as you say, are the second best for an original series on the channel right now, and will probably rise after SG-1's cancellation. (like if Flash Gorden can't even keep in SCI-FI's top ten rated shows of the week list.....well.....that can only bode well for SGA)

Briangate78
September 9th, 2007, 08:51 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head, and also another reason SGA will get a 5th season. There are 2 million viewers in this equation. Does Sci-fi take the little loss in ratings and renew SGA or do they lose 2 million fans/viewers. The network does not have anymore shows to really carry itself. You have Eureka, BSG(Ending next season), Ghost Hunters and SGA that are performing well. There is not much out there, Sci-fi is going to have to learn to eat the ratings a little and still keep the shows going that still pull in a decent amount of viewers. SGA has the potential(The network knows this) to attract 2 million plus viewers. They did it for the premiere, mid-season finale, 2nd part premiere, and the finale.

Briangate78
September 9th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Another reason why SGA will get a 5th season...

ECW 1.7
Eureka 1.7
In the Spider's Web 1.0
Mega Snake 1.0
Ghost Hunters 0.9
Sasquatch 0.9
Ice Spiders 0.9
Flash Gordon 0.8
Marabunta 0.8
Earth vs. Spider 0.8

Source: Nielsen Galaxy Report, 8/20/07 -- 8/26/07

As I said SGA is the 2nd best series.

S3 average - 1.4
S3 finale 1.5

Alipeeps
September 10th, 2007, 12:39 AM
I am just curious and I am sure I asked this already. How is it with the holiday in US where is two weeks break due to Thanksgiving day? Isn´t it possible that because of this break, in Canada or UK (I am not sure where does SGA run only few days later) will get before USA again because in Canada (or UK) won´t be any break?

Now, I am sure that most of the people won´t bother with downloading bc of one week and because they will have another problems with all stuff around Thanksgiving day. But true is, that then, USA will be "the second". So it still might damage some ratings.

I don't think Canada or anywhere will get ahead during the short breaks in the US airing schedule for e.g. Thanksgiving as Canada doesn't usually start airing the show until a few weeks after the US... so they might catch up a bit during any breaks in the US airing schedule but they shouldn't overtake it... The UK is starting to air Season 4 two weeks after the US so again they will catch up a bit if it doesn't air for a week or so in the US but shouldn't get ahead.

Redhooks
September 10th, 2007, 12:55 AM

I don't think Canada or anywhere will get ahead during the short breaks in the US airing schedule for e.g. Thanksgiving as Canada doesn't usually start airing the show until a few weeks after the US... so they might catch up a bit during any breaks in the US airing schedule but they shouldn't overtake it... The UK is starting to air Season 4 two weeks after the US so again they will catch up a bit if it doesn't air for a week or so in the US but shouldn't get ahead.
There is only a one week break for the Thanksgiving Day holiday in the US (no episode airing on Nov. 23) so Canada might jump ahead because they start season 4 on Monday, Oct. 1st. I don't know if they will have a week off for their Thanksgiving Day or not. (Anybody who lives in Canada know the airing schedule?)

Alexandra
September 10th, 2007, 02:11 AM
Hope is a quality that human kind never gives away. At least some of us.
So, let's hope for the best.

Stargate Atlantis, in general, it's worth a lot of seasons, but I would not say "victory at all costs", I wouldn't like to see a bad SGA season 5, it would somehow spoil the nice image they have created so far. But if it can be a good one, then, yes, I hope there will be a season 5.

HD89
September 10th, 2007, 12:51 PM
"....I'd be concerned about a season six renewal, but not a season five. (don't they have to renegotiate contracts after season five? I sense issues there.....)..."

I was under the impression that contracts were signed for 5 years after they finished Season 1. So (if the series was re-newed) the actors were contracted throughout Season 6...

But I might be wrong, anyone remember something along these lines?

Mitchell82
September 10th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I was under the impression that contracts were signed for 5 years after they finished Season 1. So (if the series was re-newed) the actors were contracted throughout Season 6...

But I might be wrong, anyone remember something along these lines?

It was a four year not five year. contract so scifi is not"obligated" to renew. Tapping was signed on for an 11th season which is why they moved her to Atlantis instead of just paying her for nothing. The big issue here isthe fact that ratings were down due mainly to scifi's stupidity(8 months between "The Quest Part's 1 and 2 as well as Return Part's 1 and 2) So it getting renewed will greatly determine on the ratings for season 3 and the first few of season 4. ALso scifi willsimply screw themselves if the cancel their only show that gets decent ratings.

jenks
September 10th, 2007, 02:12 PM
You've got to remember though, not all of Sci Fi's money comes from advertising. They make a fair bit of cash from the show they produce, BSG etc, those shows contribute money in the form of DVD sales aswell, whereas Stargate doesn't. I'm sure all of Sci Fi's decision can't be based solely on ratings...

the dancer of spaz
September 10th, 2007, 02:35 PM
It was a four year not five year. contract so scifi is not"obligated" to renew. Tapping was signed on for an 11th season which is why they moved her to Atlantis instead of just paying her for nothing. The big issue here isthe fact that ratings were down due mainly to scifi's stupidity(8 months between "The Quest Part's 1 and 2 as well as Return Part's 1 and 2) So it getting renewed will greatly determine on the ratings for season 3 and the first few of season 4. ALso scifi willsimply screw themselves if the cancel their only show that gets decent ratings.

Since we don't know the terms of any actor's contract (and, thankfully, never will) we really don't know if they would've been obligated to pay Amanda Tapping or any of the other actors "for nothing." It may be safe to say that these contracts are dealt in a way that benefits the studio and only the studio... which would most likely mean that actors do not get paid if the series is not renewed for another season.

You've got to remember though, not all of Sci Fi's money comes from advertising. They make a fair bit of cash from the show they produce, BSG etc, those shows contribute money in the form of DVD sales aswell, whereas Stargate doesn't. I'm sure all of Sci Fi's decision can't be based solely on ratings...

Well... if that were the case, I think SciFi would've renewed SG-1 for an eleventh season. Season 10 probably did better in the DVD market than they expected, though.

Platschu
September 10th, 2007, 02:40 PM
There is 5 opportunity:

1. We get a 20 episode long season 5 order, but they don't order DVD films.

2. They won't renew Atlantis, but they order DVD films.
I think if Scifi doesn't order season 5, than they should make at least 4-4 DVD films for SG-1 and Atlantis. They can make a 2 hour long movie (= 2-3 episode) under a month. The MGM doesn't risk anything. The DVD sales will be good and they will get back their money. The actors can make non-SG project, but they can get a good pay check for a month long SG job. I think every SG DVD film is bigger and better in theirs career as the MegaSnake type TV-movies. I think the DVD films will be a huge success, so every SG actor should be happy to make more. ;)

3. They order a 10 or 13 episode long, shorter season 5, but they will make 2 Atlantis DVD-film.
I know it is a bit heretic idea, but maybe this version is the best for the fans, because we can get bigger stories and a very metaplot centric season too. No stand alones, just hardcore storytelling. :) The episode number would be near twenty with the DVD films.

4. 20 episode + 1-2 Atlantis DVD film.
This won't happen. If they begin the filming in February, they can't finish 10 episode and DVD films until autumn or they have to begin 5x01 only in January of 2009.

5. They won't renew Atlantis and they don't order DVD films.
That would be the SciFi Channel's end. :)

- - -

And don't forget the Stargate : Universe and Stargate : Worlds factor. The game can attract new viewers, so the ratings can be better. The Universe will have a bigger media campaign, so more scifi fans will watch Atlantis too, if they air them together. ;)

Trek_Girl42
September 10th, 2007, 03:16 PM
The thing is that's almost not an issue here! SCI-FI has almost no original series that they own and make DVD money from anyway- they need to actually produce something to sell the DVDs- Dresden Files cancelled= no more seasons of DVDs there. PKJ= only one season, no more DVD money coming that way. Flash Gorden= who knows, but it doesn't look like a money making machine.

Again they still only have Eureka and BSG to get decent DVD sales off of- they have to air something in the meantime while new series that they own are being created. So there's room in there for Atlantis season five.

Either way, their problem is that they need more series that they don't have right now. So they need Atlantis. :D

Briangate78
September 10th, 2007, 04:45 PM
There is 5 opportunity:

1. We get a 20 episode long season 5 order, but they don't order DVD films.

2. They won't renew Atlantis, but they order DVD films.
I think if Scifi doesn't order season 5, than they should make at least 4-4 DVD films for SG-1 and Atlantis. They can make a 2 hour long movie (= 2-3 episode) under a month. The MGM doesn't risk anything. The DVD sales will be good and they will get back their money. The actors can make non-SG project, but they can get a good pay check for a month long SG job. I think every SG DVD film is bigger and better in theirs career as the MegaSnake type TV-movies. I think the DVD films will be a huge success, so every SG actor should be happy to make more. ;)

3. They order a 10 or 13 episode long, shorter season 5, but they will make 2 Atlantis DVD-film.
I know it is a bit heretic idea, but maybe this version is the best for the fans, because we can get bigger stories and a very metaplot centric season too. No stand alones, just hardcore storytelling. :) The episode number would be near twenty with the DVD films.

4. 20 episode + 1-2 Atlantis DVD film.
This won't happen. If they begin the filming in February, they can't finish 10 episode and DVD films until autumn or they have to begin 5x01 only in January of 2009.

5. They won't renew Atlantis and they don't order DVD films.
That would be the SciFi Channel's end. :)

- - -

And don't forget the Stargate : Universe and Stargate : Worlds factor. The game can attract new viewers, so the ratings can be better. The Universe will have a bigger media campaign, so more scifi fans will watch Atlantis too, if they air them together. ;)

Well if Sci-fi renews SGA for a 5th, which they should, they would order a full season. They cut them back to 20 eps from 22 after Season 7, I do not see them cutting them back further. Which brings me to my next reason why Sci-fi should renew SGA. Yup I am filled with reasons.

A show that has 20 eps and pulls in a bunch of 1.2's is still considered good. It keeps most of the viewers for multiple eps. If Eureka had 20 eps, it could lower the ratings toward the middle. People lose interest or just forget to watch every week. Look at the ratings for the past 2 months. A 1.2 or 1.3 would put a show in the top 5, sometimes the top 3. So with the ratings for the entire network falling, a SGA renewal is looking better and better. Remember SGA ended with a 1.5, and averaged a 1.4 for Season 4. The network leader is averaging a 1.6 to 1.7! Not too far at all. ;)

Uber
September 10th, 2007, 04:53 PM
It was a four year not five year. contract so scifi is not"obligated" to renew. Tapping was signed on for an 11th season which is why they moved her to Atlantis instead of just paying her for nothing. The big issue here isthe fact that ratings were down due mainly to scifi's stupidity(8 months between "The Quest Part's 1 and 2 as well as Return Part's 1 and 2) So it getting renewed will greatly determine on the ratings for season 3 and the first few of season 4. ALso scifi willsimply screw themselves if the cancel their only show that gets decent ratings.OT followup:This has been repeated over and over again but it's still not true. To clarify, she was "contractually obligated"...meaning "optioned", as in, Stargate had the right to utilize her if they had need of her but she would not have been "paid for nothing."

Skydiver
September 10th, 2007, 06:35 PM
folks, please remember. this is a PG forum. thus, rant to your hearts content, but keep it family friendly, or take it elsewhere

Skydiver
September 10th, 2007, 06:40 PM
OT followup:This has been repeated over and over again but it's still not true. To clarify, she was "contractually obligated"...meaning "optioned", as in, Stargate had the right to utilize her if they had need of her but she would not have been "paid for nothing."
'contracturally obligated' means...they had dibs on her time. they had the right of first refusal.

now, since sg1 was cancelled, amanda did have the right to say 'no thanks guys' when they asked her to fill torri's role. She was, i believe, one of 3 potential candidates. had she said no, someone else woulda been cast.

Coremae
September 10th, 2007, 06:43 PM
folks, please remember. this is a PG forum. thus, rant to your hearts content, but keep it family friendly, or take it elsewhere

my apologies I'll use more elusive analogies, or at best those that one would need a dictionary and a familiarity with Latin to decipher. But again, I must apologize, o and scifi sucks.

Briangate78
September 10th, 2007, 07:04 PM
'contracturally obligated' means...they had dibs on her time. they had the right of first refusal.

now, since sg1 was cancelled, amanda did have the right to say 'no thanks guys' when they asked her to fill torri's role. She was, i believe, one of 3 potential candidates. had she said no, someone else woulda been cast.

Yeah I believe Torri's role was going to be reduced regardless if Carter would sign on or not.

Anyway, getting back on topic. I strongly feel SGA will pull good enough ratings to get it, to a season 5. :cool:

Skydiver
September 10th, 2007, 07:27 PM
one thing in s5's favor, if mgm wants to get 100 episodes badly enough, if skiffy pulls the same trick they did with season 11 of sg1 - which was:

mgm: we'll pay you $x dollars per episode
scifi: nope, you need to pay us $y
mgm: Nope, our budget is set, it's $x
scifi: ok, fine. then it's cancelled

MGM just might be willing to pony up the extra money that scifi wants to get a s5.

parisindy
September 10th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Yeah I believe Torri's role was going to be reduced regardless if Carter would sign on or not.

Anyway, getting back on topic. I strongly feel SGA will pull good enough ratings to get it, to a season 5. :cool:

I thought weir conversations weren't allowed

Briangate78
September 10th, 2007, 07:52 PM
one thing in s5's favor, if mgm wants to get 100 episodes badly enough, if skiffy pulls the same trick they did with season 11 of sg1 - which was:

mgm: we'll pay you $x dollars per episode
scifi: nope, you need to pay us $y
mgm: Nope, our budget is set, it's $x
scifi: ok, fine. then it's cancelled

MGM just might be willing to pony up the extra money that scifi wants to get a s5.

Some people mentioned that. MGM would want 100 eps so they would come to Sci-fi with a decent price. Plus, isn't SGA cheaper than SG-1 was?

Also, I think the ratings are not bad at all, and if they do a little better since there is no long hiatus, there should be a S5.

-Canadian-
September 10th, 2007, 09:50 PM
I know somebody who works on thet set of atlantis and there's no talk of coming back for season 5 yet. Hopefully they always make those down to the wire decisions.

PS. There done filming the fourth season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PhatChance
September 11th, 2007, 12:05 AM
At this point, I believe there will be a fifth season. A year ago I would have some doubts but after seeing how these new series on the network are getting axed left and right, it'd be madness to pull the plug on SGA. SGA has a solid core proven audiences.

The real question is will there be a 6th?
I think a sixth season has a 40/60 percent chance. ;)

Briangate78
September 11th, 2007, 06:43 AM
I know somebody who works on thet set of atlantis and there's no talk of coming back for season 5 yet. Hopefully they always make those down to the wire decisions.

Remember they did not Renew a 4th season until a few eps into Season 3. Well the same goes for Season 5. They will be waiting for the first few eps of Season 4. If the first few eps average around a 1.4 to 1.6 range, we'll be fine.

PG15
September 11th, 2007, 11:28 AM

You heard wrong then. We know from the Executive Producer himself that they have yet to shoot at least 2 episodes.

vaberella
September 11th, 2007, 11:48 AM
You heard wrong then. We know from the Executive Producer himself that they have yet to shoot at least 2 episodes.

And that means: TRUST NO ONE...

but PG15!!! http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/vaberella/kisses.gif

prion
September 11th, 2007, 12:16 PM

Uh, they can't be done. David H posted at this Twitter he's working on TRIO this week...

ashman2
September 11th, 2007, 12:36 PM
I've given this a lot of thought in recent weeks, well actually over the last few months, but I think it will get a season 5. I think too much has been invested, and too much support from the fans has been given for the show to get cancelled.

That may sound naive to some, but that's the way I think of it. I really do hope that there is a season 5, and a huge part of me thinks that there will be.

Mitchell82
September 11th, 2007, 05:59 PM

I stand corrected. Now as to SGA getting season 5 it better happen. Also as many said it is a finacial decison but cancelling it would be stupid because it is one of their top 5 shows. Unfortunatly what is happening here reminds me of two things SG-1 season 6 and Farscape. In both cases everything was shot when the decison to renew SG-1 and cancel Farscape came down the pipe. THe same will happen here. The entire season will have been shot by the time they hear the fate of the show. Hopefully it will turn out good and we will get a renewal but even if we don't I know we can at least have comfort in knowing that MGM and TPTB won't leave us hanging.JM has said as much.

PG15
September 11th, 2007, 07:31 PM
And that means: TRUST NO ONE...

but PG15!!! http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/vaberella/kisses.gif

Thaaaaaat's right! :D

the dancer of spaz
September 11th, 2007, 11:52 PM
I stand corrected. Now as to SGA getting season 5 it better happen. Also as many said it is a finacial decison but cancelling it would be stupid because it is one of their top 5 shows. Unfortunatly what is happening here reminds me of two things SG-1 season 6 and Farscape. In both cases everything was shot when the decison to renew SG-1 and cancel Farscape came down the pipe. THe same will happen here. The entire season will have been shot by the time they hear the fate of the show. Hopefully it will turn out good and we will get a renewal but even if we don't I know we can at least have comfort in knowing that MGM and TPTB won't leave us hanging.JM has said as much.

I think as long as MGM's asking price matches SciFi's budget, we should be OK. But it really looks like SciFi is going further and further downhill these days.

Assuming there's nothing else going on behind the scenes, if MGM doesn't ask for too much money, SciFi may be OK with it. Otherwise, maybe we'll get an Atlantis film to wrap it all up?

Briangate78
September 12th, 2007, 06:51 AM
I think as long as MGM's asking price matches SciFi's budget, we should be OK. But it really looks like SciFi is going further and further downhill these days.

Assuming there's nothing else going on behind the scenes, if MGM doesn't ask for too much money, SciFi may be OK with it. Otherwise, maybe we'll get an Atlantis film to wrap it all up?

Sci-fi has two choices. Keep low-budget shows that hardly pull in a million viewers or keep high quality/budget shows like SGA that has the potential to pull in over 2 million viewers with multiple eps. Someone pointed out, that if you do not have a nielsen box, write to the companies you see advertised during SGA. Let them know you saw the ad and are a viewer. If they can get hundreds of letter from this bboard alone, imagine the difference we could make. :)

With one click of a mouse, it is easy to even send an e-mail.

creed462
September 12th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Sci-fi has two choices. Keep low-budget shows that hardly pull in a million viewers or keep high quality/budget shows like SGA that has the potential to pull in over 2 million viewers with multiple eps. Someone pointed out, that if you do not have a nielsen box, write to the companies you see advertised during SGA. Let them know you saw the ad and are a viewer. If they can get hundreds of letter from this bboard alone, imagine the difference we could make. :)

With one click of a mouse, it is easy to even send an e-mail.

They need a better method then Nislsen now day........

kymeric
September 12th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Is there even anything else on scifi? Eureka? If SGA gets canned the network will be in even bigger trouble than they are, and if the network gets canned SGA can be farmed out to a different network.

I used to watch scifi alot. SG1 SGA reruns of both. But then sg1 ended, and i bought the dvds so i can watch them when i want. And the cable bill went up. Im not paying 100$ a month for something i can have someone else tape for me, or wait and buy for 40$ in 6 months.

Cable tv is going out of style, they need a media where tv shows can be bought on demand and viewed at one leisure. Cable tv is soo last millenium.

BTW BSG SUX!!!! It lasted only as long as the LEAST successful startrek in history:-p

Briangate78
September 12th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Is there even anything else on scifi? Eureka? If SGA gets canned the network will be in even bigger trouble than they are, and if the network gets canned SGA can be farmed out to a different network.

I used to watch scifi alot. SG1 SGA reruns of both. But then sg1 ended, and i bought the dvds so i can watch them when i want. And the cable bill went up. Im not paying 100$ a month for something i can have someone else tape for me, or wait and buy for 40$ in 6 months.

Cable tv is going out of style, they need a media where tv shows can be bought on demand and viewed at one leisure. Cable tv is soo last millenium.

BTW BSG SUX!!!! It lasted only as long as the LEAST successful startrek in history:-p

I posted dozens upon dozens of pros for a 5th season. It just does not make sense not to renew it, I think we will even get a 6th season. Those 1.2's SGA was getting, you have to curve them by like 4 or 5 points. The entire ratings bar is down, no show is getting what it did before. That is a fact!

Mitchell82
September 12th, 2007, 04:00 PM
They need a better method then Nislsen now day........

I've been saying that for a long time.

Mitchell82
September 12th, 2007, 04:01 PM
I posted dozens upon dozens of pros for a 5th season. It just does not make sense not to renew it, I think we will even get a 6th season. Those 1.2's SGA was getting, you have to curve them by like 4 or 5 points. The entire ratings bar is down, no show is getting what it did before. That is a fact!

Exactly. Without SGA scifi really has nothing. ECW,Eureka and SGA are the only things that bring in ratings.

Briangate78
September 13th, 2007, 07:21 AM
To help get SGA to a 5th season, here are some things posted by a member on the Sci-fi forums...

1) Watch live.
2) Write down every ad aired during the episode in order.
3) Email CBS Audience Services (well, the Skiffy equivalent in this case) letting them know that you watched the episode live. Include the list of ads so they can verify that you actually did watch (they know who bought ad time, right?)
4) Email the advertisers directly, tell them you saw the ad during the show and that you appreciate their support of the show and that you're considering purchasing their product.

Here is one example....

Dear Sci-fi,

I do not own a Nielsen box so my viewership towards the ratings do not count, so I wanted to personally send you this note that I have watched Stargate Atlantis Season 4 live, and hope you have plans to continue the show after this season. I think the Stargate Franchise has been a great addition to your line-up over the past 5 to 6 years.

Regards

prion
September 13th, 2007, 09:26 AM
To help get SGA to a 5th season, here are some things posted by a member on the Sci-fi forums...

1) Watch live.
3) Email CBS Audience Services (well, the Skiffy equivalent in this case) letting them know that you watched the episode live. Include the list of ads so they can verify that you actually did watch (they know who bought ad time, right?)
4) Email the advertisers directly, tell them you saw the ad during the show and that you appreciate their support of the show and that you're considering purchasing their product.

Here is one example....

Dear Sci-fi,

I do not own a Nielsen box so my viewership towards the ratings do not count, so I wanted to personally send you this note that I have watched Stargate Atlantis Season 4 live, and hope you have plans to continue the show after this season. I think the Stargate Franchise has been a great addition to your line-up over the past 5 to 6 years.

Regards

You'd have to send that email right after watching, otherwise, you wait an hour, you could have taped it..., but writing advertisers WILL help (plus, you might get a free coupon, but I sure don't want anything for ED; sheesh, makes you wonder the audience they're aiming for...) ;)

HD89
September 13th, 2007, 09:42 AM

1) Watch live.

Here is one example....

Dear Sci-fi,

Regards

Sounds like a good idea and I would totally do it if I lived in the U.S. It really doesn't take much effort...

Unfortunately, I won't count even if I watch Season 4 when it gets here. :(

Klenotka
September 13th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Do you feel there is a good chance for a Season 5?

Not with the new promo photos :D

kymeric
September 13th, 2007, 11:33 AM
TPTB are going to great lengths to ensure the reasons sg1 was canned dont happen to SGA. SGA is one of Scifis headliners and premire franchises. Its also one of mgms big franchises. I dont think atlantis is goin anywhere.

Remember all those years SG1 was under threat of cancellation, i do. I was there watching and hoping itd last. SGA seems alot more secure than SG1 did at the ends of seasons 5,6,7 etc of SG1.

Chrysalis
September 13th, 2007, 12:27 PM
TPTB are going to great lengths to ensure the reasons sg1 was canned dont happen to SGA.

Where do you get that? SG1 was canned after mass cast changes. SGA is going through mass cast changes much earlier in its life. That to me can only be seen as a bad move, and an act of desperation on the part of TPTB.

It looks to me like they've learned nothing from what happened with SG1, and are pulling the same sort of stunt casting, just hoping it works this time. Good luck to them, but I won't be watching it with Carter in and Beckett and Weir out.

Briangate78
September 13th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Where do you get that? SG1 was canned after mass cast changes. SGA is going through mass cast changes much earlier in its life. That to me can only be seen as a bad move, and an act of desperation on the part of TPTB.

It looks to me like they've learned nothing from what happened with SG1, and are pulling the same sort of stunt casting, just hoping it works this time. Good luck to them, but I won't be watching it with Carter in and Beckett and Weir out.

Actually it's different with SG-1 and SGA. RDA left after season 8, so they had to take action to refresh the show give it new life. SGA is only swaping one character, and in all fairness, the other character will still be there for like 4 to 5 eps. SGA is setting up for a 5th season and possibly beyond. Joe M even said the events that happen in four would go into a 5th season. Also, the season finale is a major cliffhanger.

SG-1 had a major change like this in Season 5 to 6, did that stop it? Nope, went on for 5 more seasons. Even the major changes after 8, got it two more seasons. The show was too expensive, so it was canned.

SGFerrit
September 13th, 2007, 12:42 PM

SG-1 was cancelled TWO years after the cast changes were made. Sg-1 cost much more than Atlantis. On average though, SG-1 got similar ratings. The dip in SG-1s ratings was pretty much in line with the dip in Atlantis' ratings, and the dip in ratings of many other shows during the same period.

Now what caused that past dip in Atlantis' ratings since Rising? I don't see many pro s4 people blaming Weir/Carson? But if you would like, we could make up BS too to help our cause? The fact is though, the people who are rooting for a s5 don't need to.

Quinn Mallory
September 13th, 2007, 01:12 PM
In the past, the Stargate series premeir in the summer against weaker competitions (networks are mostly doing reruns). This year, it's going up against what the networks are offering on Friday (probably one of the weakest night of network TV) so the ratings are likely to be a bit different. I really don't know why SciFi would consider not renewing SGA since they don't have any other show to headline their programming. With BSG wrapping up (even if they split the final 20 episodes into two years of 10 episodes), SciFi really don't have enough other things to replace SGA.

the dancer of spaz
September 13th, 2007, 01:28 PM
SG-1 was cancelled for more than just "mass cast changes." The lower ratings and the higher costs were definitely an issue. As someone mentioned, there was once a time when SG-1 could safely air during the latter half of the summer, without any ratings issues. Then, iirc, once more and more networks started utilizing the summer for new programming, SG-1's place became less and less secure.

The cast changes (and the change in direction) might have had an effect on the series. I would bet that it was one of the main factors. However, the time period during which the Gates have aired, and will air, has most definitely played a factor.

Atlantis, because of when it's airing, seems pretty bleak if you consider where it is in the timeslot and the fact that it's premiering during the biggest premiere week of the season. I would not be surprised if it simply slipped people's mind - especially considering there've been very few advertisements.

It's still possible that Atlantis could perform well this season, and I'm hoping it does.

Briangate78
September 13th, 2007, 02:07 PM
SG-1 was cancelled for more than just "mass cast changes." The lower ratings and the higher costs were definitely an issue. As someone mentioned, there was once a time when SG-1 could safely air during the latter half of the summer, without any ratings issues. Then, iirc, once more and more networks started utilizing the summer for new programming, SG-1's place became less and less secure.

The cast changes (and the change in direction) might have had an effect on the series. I would bet that it was one of the main factors. However, the time period during which the Gates have aired, and will air, has most definitely played a factor.

Atlantis, because of when it's airing, seems pretty bleak if you consider where it is in the timeslot and the fact that it's premiering during the biggest premiere week of the season. I would not be surprised if it simply slipped people's mind - especially considering there've been very few advertisements.

It's still possible that Atlantis could perform well this season, and I'm hoping it does.

The season started with a 1.5 and ended with a 1.5. It averaged a 1.6 the first half and fell a little for an entire season average of 1.4 because of the long hiatus. Those numbers are actually very good when you compare it to other shows on the network. Network leader "Eureka" is averaging a 1.6 to 1.7 now! It should get the numbers from the first half, which is around a 1.5 to 1.6! Good enough for a 5th season.

jenks
September 13th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Where do you get that? SG1 was canned after mass cast changes. SGA is going through mass cast changes much earlier in its life.

It was cost which killed SG-1, not cast changes.

That to me can only be seen as a bad move, and an act of desperation on the part of TPTB.

To you? I don't doubt it.

It looks to me like they've learned nothing from what happened with SG1, and are pulling the same sort of stunt casting, just hoping it works this time.

It's the cast changes that matter, not the fact that the cast is changing. Keeping a cast the same can kill a show just as easily as changing it.

Good luck to them, but I won't be watching it with Carter in and Beckett and Weir out.

No one cares.

Mitchell82
September 13th, 2007, 06:13 PM

Apples and orranges. Sg-1 was not cancelled due to cast changes. SG-1 cost alot more than SGA, the ratings were down, but not enough to cancel. MGM wouldn't give in to scifi's cost demand so they canned it. SGA is only loosing 2 main cast members. The other is still there just recurring, and the other is coming back. In your eyes cast changes killed SG-1 in reality it was canned due to cost and that is the plain truth. Beckett and Weir arent out. Weir is just recurring not out and beckett is returning. Sorry that you can't get over your predjudice over minor changes.

Pruehall
September 13th, 2007, 08:29 PM
No one cares.

Actually I bet TPTB do care. At this point they need every viewer they can get, so hearing that they are losing a viewer is not good. I have heard several members say they don't plan on watching this year because of the changes so I do know that she does have a point.

Just because you don't like what she has to say does not make her opinions any less valid. Her answers have just as much weight as yours, so I guess that means no one should care what you have to say too?

Briangate78
September 13th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Horse N. Buggy writes: “Obviously, Nielson ratings are the big ticket item determining ratings. But for those of us without a magic box, does it help for us to buy episodes on iTunes?”

Answer: Good iTunes sales would certainly go a long way toward confirming to MGM that a fifth season would be a great idea.

Wow Joe M backed up that theory that MGM would make sure SGA gets a Season 5 because it would profit them in the Itunes and DVD market. Plan is to sell cheap to Sci-fi to make up for loss ratings, and then make up that lost in other markets.

FYI, SGA Season 3 is currently in the top 20 DVD sales and it has not even been released yet. Woo hoo! :p

PG15
September 13th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Actually I bet TPTB do care. At this point they need every viewer they can get, so hearing that they are losing a viewer is not good. I have heard several members say they don't plan on watching this year because of the changes so I do know that she does have a point.

Not true. It only matters if that viewer has a Nielsen box, which seems to be pretty rare on these boards.

Just because you don't like what she has to say does not make her opinions any less valid. Her answers have just as much weight as yours, so I guess that means no one should care what you have to say too?

Heh. Hang around a while newbie, and you'll begin to understand that not all opinions are created equal. ;)

vaberella
September 13th, 2007, 09:34 PM
<snippty-snip>

FYI, SGA Season 3 is currently in the top 20 DVD sales and it has not even been released yet. Woo hoo! :p

I don't have anything intellectually moving to add, but "wicked!!". :D

I think that's great news. Good to know that the waiting list is so high.

Heh. Hang around a while newbie, and you'll begin to understand that not all opinions are created equal. ;)

Newbie needs to see that some people are antigonisers and like to make blanket statements that have no foundation and repeat the same non-sense on every single thread in the S4 section. Jenks is not whom I'm speaking of!! ~sigh~ :(

[GW is littered with n00bs ;)]

Redhooks
September 13th, 2007, 09:45 PM
While I don't usually disagree with you PG15, I do on this point. There are many pro-S4 people who go around posting in threads to stir-up trouble and just not anti-S4 people. I don't normally get involved in a lot of threads, but I do read most of the ones in the season 4 folder at least. This exchange between these two posters is nothing new.

As far as an on-topic comment, I hope there is a season 5 and that the Travelers (or at least Larrin) are in more episodes next year than this year. :D

Agent_Dark
September 13th, 2007, 10:03 PM
I agree with jenks, PG15 and vaberella ftw.

PG15
September 13th, 2007, 10:15 PM
While I don't usually disagree with you PG15, I do on this point.

GASP!!

;)

Seriously though, I'm not saying any specific group's opinions are worth less than any other group's. I'm just saying, there are some individuals out there who you don't really have pay attention to in terms of opinions about certain subjects because they are just sooooo biased. And yes, that applies to me as well, sometimes.

Though very rarely. :p

Redhooks
September 13th, 2007, 10:19 PM
GASP!!

;)

Seriously though, I'm not saying any specific group's opinions are worth less than any other group's. I'm just saying, there are some individuals out there who you don't really have pay attention to in terms of opinions about certain subjects because they are just sooooo biased. And yes, that applies to me as well, sometimes.

Though very rarely. :p
It can apply to me as well if you are talking about a certain actress because I AM very biased in that regard :P :D, though I try hard to respect other people's opinions about her. ;)

kymeric
September 14th, 2007, 04:14 AM

Sg1 was canned because it was too expensive to sell to scifi for wut mgm wanted to sell it. SGA has demonstrated a willingness to off main characters. HENCE no costly big names.

Chrysalis
September 14th, 2007, 05:05 AM
Sg1 was canned because it was too expensive to sell to scifi for wut mgm wanted to sell it. SGA has demonstrated a willingness to off main characters. HENCE no costly big names.

No costly big names EXCEPT Amanda Tapping, who with ten years on SG1 would be earning considerably more should she sign on for a season five than any of the others.

That argument would work if it was Mitch Pileggi who replaced Torri playing the leader of the city (if it had to be anyone, I wish it had been him), but not with Amanda. She's a big player in this franchise. The cost associated with her probably makes the cost associated with most of the others look like chicken feed.

Alipeeps
September 14th, 2007, 05:30 AM
With respect, we aren't privvy to the details of the actors contracts or remuneration.. and nor should we be. Speculation on that topic is self-defeating and kinda intrusive... :S

SGFerrit
September 14th, 2007, 05:32 AM
No costly big names EXCEPT Amanda Tapping, who with ten years on SG1 would be earning considerably more should she sign on for a season five than any of the others.

That argument would work if it was Mitch Pileggi who replaced Torri playing the leader of the city (if it had to be anyone, I wish it had been him), but not with Amanda. She's a big player in this franchise. The cost associated with her probably makes the cost associated with most of the others look like chicken feed.

I do agree that Amanda will be pretty expensive compared to the others, you can't really argue with that.

But, she won't be as expensive as Amanda Tapping, Michael Shanks, Beau Bridges, Chris Judge, Ben Browder and Claudia Black would have been lol!

I don't think bringing Amanda in will make things particularly more expensive though, it will be more obviously, but hardly bank breaking compared to SG-1 was by the end! And considering Atlantis has on average ever so slightly higher ratings, I feel we are OK for s5 (I HOPE, anyway:))

SGFerrit
September 14th, 2007, 05:35 AM
With respect, we aren't privvy to the details of the actors contracts or remuneration.. and nor should we be. Speculation on that topic is self-defeating and kinda intrusive... :S

We have to expect though that Amanda would be more expensive than anyone currently on the cast of Atlantis, just due to how long she has been with the franchise. (I Don't think she would have been as expensive to have over than MS though as he seemed to be the main attraction of SG-1 overall (though I personally liked everyone equally), but again that is just speculation)

Chrysalis
September 14th, 2007, 05:37 AM

Um. It's not 'intrusive'. It's basic logic. Someone who's been in a job with this franchise for 12 years, as she will be by that point, will be on more than someone who's been with it for five. When someone starts talking numbers, as in what they're on, THEN it might become intrusive. But to say she'd be earning more when she's been with the series for that long is basic common sense.

Even one of her biggest fans, SGFerrit can admit that, and not be righteously indignant about it.

Alipeeps
September 14th, 2007, 05:50 AM
I still say we as fans have no idea what salary levels anyone is on and it feels intrusive to me to speculate about it. Hey, can't help the way I was brought up.. It also seems pointless to speculate about it as we can never know the answer.

Regardless, if you want to look generally at the actors' salaries as a component of cost.... SGA's four regular cast members with between 3 and 4 years' time on the show plus one recurring character (not a full-time core cast member and not working a full week etc) with 10+ years with the franchise is still likely to be cheaper than SG1's three regular cast members with 10 years' time on the show and two regular cast members with 1-2 years' time on the show AND big name recurring actors such as Beau Bridges.

prion
September 14th, 2007, 06:13 AM
I do agree that Amanda will be pretty expensive compared to the others, you can't really argue with that.

But, she won't be as expensive as Amanda Tapping, Michael Shanks, Beau Bridges, Chris Judge, Ben Browder and Claudia Black would have been lol!

I don't think bringing Amanda in will make things particularly more expensive though, it will be more obviously, but hardly bank breaking compared to SG-1 was by the end! And considering Atlantis has on average ever so slightly higher ratings, I feel we are OK for s5 (I HOPE, anyway:))

The show has lost two salaried cast members - Torri and Paul - and I would think MGM would had to have bought out the remaining years contracts on both. But, yes, Amanda won't be cheap as they're probably bringing her in the same negotiated salary she had for season 11 of SG1, had there been one.

Actually, speculation on actors' salaries has been around for ages. It's not at all uncommon to see the salaries of movie stars or even the bigger tv stars in the press. So and so made $4 million for doing such and such a film. But on TV, you usually don't hear salaries except on network stars, such as William Petersen of CSI, etc.

Escalating costs (cast salaries, crew, etc.) and lower ratings are some of the reasons why SG1 bit the dust. If SGA becomes as successful, the same things will probably do it in as well.

The only thing I know is that the cast on SGA sure make more than my annual salary! ;)

Briangate78
September 14th, 2007, 06:48 AM

SG-1 had this cast for Season 10...

Beau Bridges
Ben Browder
Claudia Black
Michael Shanks
Amanda Tapping
Chris Judge

The top 3 were probably the most expensive to sign for an 11th season. Plus when a show goes into an 11th season actors salaries are a lot higher than a show in it's 4th season.

To produce a season 5 would be a fraction of the cost of SG-1. Yet another reason there will be 5th season and possibly more.

kymeric
September 14th, 2007, 07:45 AM

I wonder if she makes more than RDA did on sg1 as the headliner of sga.

AT = more name than any of the other actors on sga, does that make her defacto main character?

I guess it depends on how well her character adds to the new show. It may switch up again in a nother year or two. Honestly i dont think Sheppard is in a place to lead atlantis, either as a character running the city or as an actor starring the show. He is essential and good, but its not SGA: starring Joe Flanigan like SG1 was STARRING RDA.

I would just guess that buying out AT contract was either more $ than her SGA salary, or just similar $$ and TPTB thought itd be cool to do.

Briangate78
September 14th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Don't worry everyone, if SGA ends after Season 4 we will still have...

Flash Gordon
Who wants to be a Superhero?

and last but certainly not least....

ECW!!!!!! Woo Hoo!!!

Ok. I was being sarcastic. :p

Skydiver
September 14th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Children, and i'm meaning that literally at the moment, to your corners.

First, we will never nor should we know how much each actor makes, thus speculating is a waste of time since there will never be a definitive answer.

Second, the topic is season five, not what you think of other posters. Keep it impersonal and on topic or keep it out of this thread.

If someone's posts bug you, you have three choices. Put them on ignore, just read past thier posts, dont' play here.

metabog
September 14th, 2007, 07:53 AM
There will be a Season 5 and it will feature the return of Dr. Weir, but not in the way you expected. She returns as Johnlizabeth Weirpard, genetic combination of Elizabeth and John Sheppard.
<mod snip. Do not manipulate the actors please>

SGFerrit
September 14th, 2007, 07:55 AM

As long as they don't have nielson boxes, that will make no difference. There is no one here (as far as anyone knows) that has a nielson box.

Plus, I have already heard a suprising number of people saying they will be tuning in for s4 for AT, even though they haven't seen seasons 1-3. Quite a few on You Tube etc... Maybe one of them is a nielson box owner lol. That could help towards season 5 possibly.

Alipeeps
September 14th, 2007, 09:06 AM
I would just guess that buying out AT contract was either more $ than her SGA salary, or just similar $$ and TPTB thought itd be cool to do.

This is a common misconception that keeps getting repeated... TPTB didn't *have* to use AT in SGA... they didn't have to employ her or buy her out of her contract if they didn't use her... they had what's called an option, meaning they could use her if they wanted to... and they chose to.

prion
September 14th, 2007, 09:08 AM
There will be a Season 5 and it will feature the return of Dr. Weir, but not in the way you expected. She returns as Johnlizabeth Weirpard, genetic combination of Elizabeth and John Sheppard.

Ack, nightmares!!

I wonder if she makes more than RDA did on sg1 as the headliner of sga.

RDA was producer, too, right? so understandably would have higher salary.

Mana
September 14th, 2007, 09:13 AM
If Sci-Fi knows what's best for them, there will definately be a season 5. Stargate is like their bread and butter. I sincerely doubt that they have ANY intention of letting the stargate franchise go. ^^;

metabog
September 14th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Those who have seen the eps already know what the picture is, but I must say I stopped it right then and laughed my a*s off for a few minutes.

the dancer of spaz
September 14th, 2007, 10:14 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/ManaXtreme/sgas4sig.jpg

I really like this signature! :D

Mitchell82
September 14th, 2007, 06:44 PM
SG-1 had this cast for Season 10...

Beau Bridges
Ben Browder
Claudia Black
Michael Shanks
Amanda Tapping
Chris Judge

The top 3 were probably the most expensive to sign for an 11th season. Plus when a show goes into an 11th season actors salaries are a lot higher than a show in it's 4th season.

To produce a season 5 would be a fraction of the cost of SG-1. Yet another reason there will be 5th season and possibly more.

Agreed. It is definatly alot cheaper than SG-1 and I have no doubt we will get a fifth season though scifi's recent blunder makes me alittle weary.

Mana
September 14th, 2007, 07:04 PM
I really like this signature! :D

Thanks, love. :3 It's what I do!

And I agree with both Briangate78 and Mitchell82. It makes sense.

Briangate78
September 14th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks, love. :3 It's what I do!

And I agree with both Briangate78 and Mitchell82. It makes sense.

Agreed. It is definatly alot cheaper than SG-1 and I have no doubt we will get a fifth season though scifi's recent blunder makes me alittle weary.

It makes sense to renew it rather than not to. But then again if they do cancel SGA after season 4, we will still have Flash Gordon, Who wants to be a Superhero, and my favorite ECW! :rolleyes: :p

the_dark_light
September 15th, 2007, 06:46 AM
<mod snip. Do not manipulate the actors please>

I assume that was a joke, but it's actually been done. Sliders season 5 (replacing main character through a "merger" between 2 people)

Briangate78
September 15th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Oh great, people are already asking where to download the first 2 eps of SGA. I have very little respect for people who illegally download, shame on you. What the frelling show live, if you don't have a nielsen box, at least write to the network so you are counted. I want to thank the mods for locking and removing those sour topics. You rock!!!

We need to have good ratings for Season 4 to get to a Season 5. Now if you are not in the U.S. then I was not referring to you. :p

Falcon Horus
September 15th, 2007, 07:09 AM
I have very little respect for people who illegally download, shame on you.

So, we should all wait three or four years, or never to watch the new episodes. I don't think so. :p My patience can't stretch that far.

Briangate78
September 15th, 2007, 07:58 AM
So, we should all wait three or four years, or never to watch the new episodes. I don't think so. :p My patience can't stretch that far.

LOL, I know in some situations it is inevitable. I know people who will download it but will always buy the DVD when it comes out. So to me that cancels out the downloads they did.

Falcon Horus
September 15th, 2007, 08:20 AM
LOL, I know in some situations it is inevitable. I know people who will download it but will always buy the DVD when it comes out. So to me that cancels out the downloads they did.

Good to know... :D

Briangate78
September 15th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Good to know... :D

*sigh*

I think if the ratings system was more accurate people would take it more seriously.

Falcon Horus
September 15th, 2007, 12:24 PM
*sigh*
I think if the ratings system was more accurate people would take it more seriously.

You know, I think the one who comes up with a way to get ratings in a way everybody who watches the show is counted.. He/She either makes a lot of money of this system, or they are laughed at for wanting to change the system which the companies now think as being waterproof.

Mitchell82
September 15th, 2007, 04:03 PM
It makes sense to renew it rather than not to. But then again if they do cancel SGA after season 4, we will still have Flash Gordon, Who wants to be a Superhero, and my favorite ECW! :rolleyes: :p

Exactly it will suck. I'd rather watch Barney.

Mitchell82
September 15th, 2007, 04:04 PM

I only did it for a few months out of spite to scifi.

Briangate78
September 15th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Exactly it will suck. I'd rather watch Barney.

Ouch! :S lol! :p

Mister Oragahn
September 15th, 2007, 07:34 PM

Besides, I could have not seen SciFi cancelling two shows from the same franchise.
Now that SG-1 is out, and only remains as TV films, SGA has lot more to prove.
And by what I've read here, season 4 is probably one that'll divide fans even more.

Briangate78
September 15th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Besides, I could have not seen SciFi cancelling two shows from the same franchise.
Now that SG-1 is out, and only remains as TV films, SGA has lot more to prove.
And by what I've read here, season 4 is probably one that'll divide fans even more.

Or unite them. ;)

WickedWater
September 15th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I won't be shocked too, if Atlantis is not renewed. The ratings before the final were just too bad and I think that when it comes down to cancelling the series only the third season is looked at. So the fourth season might be brilliant and still it might get cancelled.

if you would or could, please tell me who votes in the "ratings"

PG15
September 15th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Nobody votes. The TV ratings are calculated based on a sample of the TV-viewing population in the US, who have these things called Nielsen Boxes that tell the guys in charge what they're watching.

Those without Nielsen Boxes are irrelevant to TV ratings.

WickedWater
September 15th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Nobody votes. The TV ratings are calculated based on a sample of the TV-viewing population in the US, who have these things called Nielsen Boxes that tell the guys in charge what they're watching.

Those without Nielsen Boxes are irrelevant to TV ratings.

i know about the boxes, my question is how do we know if these families with boxes are even SGA fans, it kinda screws SGA fans if the people with the boxes dont like the SGC/SGA series, dont you think.

PG15
September 15th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Now you're getting it. ;)

The Nielsen families are supposedly the "average" American family, and since SGA and most of SciFi are fringe and genre shows, they are unlikely to get many "votes". Of course, shows like the X-files and Heroes break this barrier.

the fifth man
September 15th, 2007, 08:56 PM

The Nielsen families are supposedly the "average" American family, and since SGA and most of SciFi are fringe and genre shows, they are unlikely to get many "votes". Of course, shows like the X-files and Heroes break this barrier.

I think the Nielsen system is so outdated, I don't even want to really get started. Changes sooo need to be made to more accurately record viewership.

WickedWater
September 15th, 2007, 08:59 PM

has anyone here had Neilsen call them and had them do a survey of their favorite shows, i have.

mcbarr
September 15th, 2007, 09:06 PM

Hmm, I wonder why. :rolleyes:

PG15
September 15th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Nice! I hope you mentioned Stargate. ;)

Unfortunately, I live in Canada, so the US Nielsen guys don't care about our viewership. :(

Briangate78
September 15th, 2007, 09:08 PM
has anyone here had Neilsen call them and had them do a survey of their favorite shows, i have.

I have also, someone called me, set up an appointment, they came to my house, got paid to take the survey. Not sure it it was nielsen directly but I think they give those numbers to Nielsen. So I guess my household is being counted then. Hmmm.

Briangate78
September 15th, 2007, 09:13 PM
People are saying the ratings are bad?????? People a 1.2 is no longer a bad rating. You have to round that number up, since the overall network is down. Even Eureka is down from a 2.1 to a 1.6 to 1.7 season average. A 1.2 puts a show in the top 3 to top 5! THAT IS A FACT!!! Any show that is averaging a 1.0+ is doing well. Most of the shows are falling way below a 1.0 and not even making the top 10 of Sci-fi. Season 4 will be fresh, no haitus, been getting a lot of advertisment now. It should pull in close to what Season 3 did in the first half. My prediction is...

Adrift 1.6 to 1.7
Lifeline 1.5 to 1.6

the fifth man
September 15th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I wish Nielson would give me a ring. I'd love to be able to actually help out my favorite shows.

Briangate78
September 15th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I wish Nielson would give me a ring. I'd love to be able to actually help out my favorite shows.

I am going to do the writing campaign. If thousands of fans do that, it will have a nice impact I think.

the fifth man
September 15th, 2007, 09:20 PM
I am going to do the writing campaign. If thousands of fans do that, it will have a nice impact I think.

What campaign? To advocate for a Season 5 of SGA, or to have a change in the Nielson system?

Briangate78
September 15th, 2007, 09:24 PM
What campaign? To advocate for a Season 5 of SGA, or to have a change in the Nielson system?

Writing a letter to Sci-fi and NBC Universal that I watched the show live and try to watch live every week and that I am not counted on the nielsen ratings. Kiss a little butt kinda thing. I've always learned when you are nice, it is received a lot better and it makes progress.

the fifth man
September 15th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Writing a letter to Sci-fi and NBC Universal that I watched the show live and try to watch live every week and that I am not counted on the nielsen ratings. Kiss a little butt kinda thing. I've always learned when you are nice, it is received a lot better and it makes progress.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.:) It wouldn't hurt for me to do that as well.

Briangate78
September 15th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks for clarifying that for me.:) It wouldn't hurt for me to do that as well.

You know if Season 3 was not so amazing I would not be excited for next season, and a 5th. If season 4 is even a tad better than season 3, the fans will be crying for a 5th season. Including myself. :p

the fifth man
September 15th, 2007, 09:42 PM
You know if Season 3 was not so amazing I would not be excited for next season, and a 5th. If season 4 is even a tad better than season 3, the fans will be crying for a 5th season. Including myself. :p

And I'll be right there crying for a 5th season too!;)

Mitchell82
September 15th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Or unite them. ;)

Exactly.

Mitchell82
September 15th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I think the Nielsen system is so outdated, I don't even want to really get started. Changes sooo need to be made to more accurately record viewership.

I've said that for ages.

Mitchell82
September 15th, 2007, 09:47 PM

Me too!

Mitchell82
September 15th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Hey I have an idea lets all ask Santa for a fifth season! "All I want for Christmas is Season 5 of Stargate Atlantis!" :jack_new15::jack_new_anime04:

Briangate78
September 15th, 2007, 09:53 PM

Hey I have an idea lets all ask Santa for a fifth season! "All I want for Christmas is Season 5 of Stargate Atlantis!" :jack_new15::jack_new_anime04:

Exactly.

Me too!

Well I think the odds are good. They are writing the Season 4 finale as a cliffhanger. So let's hope Sci-fi makes the smart choice here. :)

Mitchell82
September 15th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Well I think the odds are good. They are writing the Season 4 finale as a cliffhanger. So let's hope Sci-fi makes the smart choice here. :)

See that's the catch. Scifi making a smart choice.:mckay:

Falcon Horus
September 16th, 2007, 06:26 AM

LOL! :D

SGFerrit
September 16th, 2007, 06:28 AM

Yep. Who is Stargate's biggest enemy? The Ori? The Asurans?

Nope. SciFi.

Mister Oragahn
September 16th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Or unite them. ;)

In agreement that it's getting bad? Possible. :)
More seriously, from what I've read about the first two episodes, it tells me that some of the worst aspects of the former seasons are coming back, magnified.
No way this can unite fans. To tell the truth, I'm from the old guard, and I clearly understood that there are fan groups which I can't share views with. Especially the fans who arrived late on the show.

I'll wait for at least the first half, but I considered season 4 to be the last chance, as far as I was concerned.

Briangate78
September 16th, 2007, 06:59 AM
More seriously, from what I've read about the first two episodes, it tells me that some of the worst aspects of the former seasons are coming back, magnified.
No way this can unite fans. To tell the truth, I'm from the old guard, and I clearly understood that there are fan groups which I can't share views with. Especially the fans who arrived late on the show.

I'll wait for at least the first half, but I considered season 4 to be the last chance, as far as I was concerned.

I'd watch the season before you down it. That goes for all the anti's.

Falcon Horus
September 16th, 2007, 07:00 AM
I'd watch the season before you down it. That goes for all the anti's.

This anti will watch... and state an opinion afterwards.

SGFerrit
September 16th, 2007, 07:21 AM

I've seen the first two episodes, and if s4 continues the same way, then s3 will well and trully be put to shame. Same goes for s1 and s2 aswell. They were great episodes, writing, acting, story and CGI wise. I'm not sure about music wise, ask me again in two weeks;)

Briangate78
September 16th, 2007, 07:51 AM
I've seen the first two episodes, and if s4 continues the same way, then s3 will well and trully be put to shame. Same goes for s1 and s2 aswell. They were great episodes, writing, acting, story and CGI wise. I'm not sure about music wise, ask me again in two weeks;)

I have not seen them yet, and I know it's going to be great.

stclare
September 16th, 2007, 10:06 AM

Oh i thought people shouting "bang" was fantastic as was watching the actors relate to said shouting!

i wonder if i could be the one doing the shouting? :)

ToasterOnFire
September 16th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Oh i thought people shouting "bang" was fantastic as was watching the actors relate to said shouting!

The next Get in the Gate contest: win an opportunity to be the guy/gal who says "Bang!" :D :D

stclare
September 16th, 2007, 10:26 AM
The next Get in the Gate contest: win an opportunity to be the guy/gal who says "Bang!" :D :D

id be so there :):)

PG15
September 16th, 2007, 11:36 AM
This anti will watch... and state an opinion afterwards.

Not all of them, at least according to their own words. But that's fine, it's their choice.

We'll see what happens when the season starts.

X-3-0-2
September 16th, 2007, 03:09 PM
I think that SGA can stand on it's own. Fingers crossed for S5!

I've a good feeling about a fifth season

Mitchell82
September 16th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I've a good feeling about a fifth season

As do I.

Mitchell82
September 16th, 2007, 06:55 PM

Seasons 1 -3 three were great and from what I have heard you are right. This could indeed be the best season ever.

Pegasus_SGA
September 17th, 2007, 12:29 PM

Don't believe everything you read. :D Watch and decide for yourself. Everyone has differing views be they pro or anti. We all like different aspects, which is why a writer should never write for anyone but themselves. Include elements of what people like, sure, but overall you can please some of the people, some of the time. But you'll never please everyone, so why try?

I loved that bit to. I think you'd have to get in line for that job. :lol:

*giggles* Well, if they opened it up to non US citz, some of us over the pond might have a .00000000000009% chance of winning, lol, but alas it's not to be.

Staying on topic. As I can do that on occasions ;) Although Skiffy have said that it is dependant on viewing figures, my spidey sense has been tingling for ages that it's in the bag. And I did predict a date some time ago. It'll be interesting to see if I was close of when they are going to announce the pick up for season 5. *fills her cup of happiness to the top* :D

Mitchell82
September 17th, 2007, 01:38 PM

I enter every year and so far nothing *sigh*

Briangate78
September 17th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Here is an explanation to why Season 5 will most likely happen...

Of course, the economics of the respective Stargates also have to be taken into consideration. In its tenth season, Stargate SG-1 is much more expensive, much less cost-effective than Atlantis in only its third. And Atlantis has to survive to at least the end of a fourth season to generate a lucrative syndication deal.

In the television industry, syndication is the sale of the right to broadcast programs to multiple stations, without going through a broadcast network. It is commonly said in the U.S. industry that “syndication is where the real money is” when producing a TV show. In other words, while the initial run of any particular television series may theoretically lose money for its producing studio, the ensuing syndication will generate enough profit to balance out any losses. [Source: Wikipedia]

Stargate SG-1 has passed the magical “100 episodes” mark twice over; Atlantis has yet to meet it. With similar ratings this year, Stargate SG-1 is being cancelled by the network while Atlantis is headed for a fourth season.

Source (http://http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/blog/?p=650)

Notice the bolds! MGM will compensate a loss and will negotiate with Sci-fi to get first runs of a 5th season, they can make up the money in the DVD sales(Season 3 Btw is in the top 10 DVD sales for amazon.com) and the Syndication market.

the dancer of spaz
September 17th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Ooh, I think that may be a messed up link. :S It didn't open.

Also... who let Brian on the team?! :eek:

Briangate78
September 17th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Ooh, I think that may be a messed up link. :S It didn't open.

Also... who let Brian on the team?! :eek:

After his Emmy performance, the writers and producers were impressed. :p

Anyway the source is StargateSG-1 solutions an article from last year.

Basically, the network is looking for SGA to go more seasons. They want to make sure it can go on it's own. I think it will be fine. So Sci-fi will not be making a decision until the first few eps air.

Mitchell82
September 17th, 2007, 05:19 PM
After his Emmy performance, the writers and producers were impressed. :p

Anyway the source is StargateSG-1 solutions an article from last year.

Bascially, the network is looking for SGA to go more seasons. They want to make sure it can go on it's own. I think it will be fine. So Sci-fi will not be making a decision until the first few eps air.

I have just as high hopes. *Turns into Dr Phlox(Star Trek Enterprise)* "Optimisim Captain!"

AltarLeader
September 17th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I enjoyed s3 of atlantis and believe if they keep up with quality of this season they should have at least 3 more. And with the ratings we in Australia haven't even had SGA s3 on tv yet i had to watch it through other means but if i could help engourage the network to keep the seasons coming please tell me.:ronananime01:

Oka
September 17th, 2007, 06:38 PM
I enjoyed s3 of atlantis and believe if they keep up with quality of this season they should have at least 3 more. And with the ratings we in Australia haven't even had SGA s3 on tv yet i had to watch it through other means but if i could help engourage the network to keep the seasons coming please tell me.:ronananime01:
Buy the DVD sets.

jenks
September 18th, 2007, 07:03 AM
That won't make any difference at all.

Briangate78
September 18th, 2007, 07:14 AM
That won't make any difference at all.

Buy the DVD sets.

Actually, it will.

jenks
September 18th, 2007, 07:36 AM
How do DVD sales encourage Sci Fi to keep buying Atlantis?

Briangate78
September 18th, 2007, 07:51 AM
How do DVD sales encourage Sci Fi to keep buying Atlantis?

It doesn't. It encourages MGM to Negotiate more aggressively with the network to get another season. So they can make money in the syndication market, downloading market, and the DVD market with a 5th season of SGA.

the dancer of spaz
September 18th, 2007, 10:55 AM
It doesn't. It encourages MGM to Negotiate more aggressively with the network to get another season. So they can make money in the syndication market, downloading market, and the DVD market with a 5th season of SGA.

Considering all talk about the third SG series seems to have halted, that's entirely possible.

Briangate78
September 18th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Considering all talk about the third SG series seems to have halted, that's entirely possible.

Well when Season 5 premieres it should return next fall, that is if season 4 airs straight through. I think SGU would run along a 5th season of SGA. I've done a lot of research, and I believe Sci-fi is not ready to let go of Atlantis yet. The vice president even said he could not see Sci-fi without a Stargate series in the near or even later future.

It stinks now because what happened to SG-1, the producers are scared to assume there will be a next season. They have gone back to that attitude of "well if we get another season this is what we'll do if not it's been fun". I think Joe M is smart for this attitude.. Remember Season 6? Was supposed to be the last, Season 7? Lost city was the series finale, so they thought. Season 8? Supposed to be the last? Nope, they got fresh characters to continue it for 2 more seasons. It funny, only Season 1 through 5 were sure seasons, and they thought SG-1 would go to Season 11.

SGA was supposed to replace SG-1, but it ran aside it for 3 years, making a ton of money for both the network and MGM.

So if you think SGA will be non-renewed because the ratings dipped below a 1.5, I have to disagree with you. Eureka is only averaging a 1.6 and is down from a 2.1 season average.

It's like a class when the professor(Sci-fi/Network) has to curve the grades(The Ratings) because the entire class(The shows) average grade(The Ratings) falls below average.

the dancer of spaz
September 18th, 2007, 12:18 PM
I know SciFi has expressed their positive feelings about the Stargate franchise, however, while I think it's true, I can't help but feel like it's a bit like double-speak. Almost like they're saying, "We can't imagine SciFi without Stargate, unless/however/except..."

Nothing against SciFi for that. I'm sure they appreciate the series that helped put them on the map in the ratings department. Still, I just don't think anything's definite. They've probably already made their decision, but I don't know if we'll necessarily know the reasons behind it.

Briangate78
September 18th, 2007, 12:23 PM
I know SciFi has expressed their positive feelings about the Stargate franchise, however, while I think it's true, I can't help but feel like it's a bit like double-speak. Almost like they're saying, "We can't imagine SciFi without Stargate, unless/however/except..."

Nothing against SciFi for that. I'm sure they appreciate the series that helped put them on the map in the ratings department. Still, I just don't think anything's definite. They've probably already made their decision, but I don't know if we'll necessarily know the reasons behind it.

Yeah, I hear where you are coming from with this. It all depends how Season 4 does for the first quarter of the season. If it prevails with good numbers then we will get a 5th season.

sparkygate
September 18th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Hell yea! (excuse my squaring)

I wish stargate would air in Australia because we are like 1 season behind and i really want to watch season the new season

PG15
September 18th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Some words from JM:

Atlantis premieres in less than two weeks and despite the fact that the latest research suggests DVR use is impacting our ratings by as much as 22%, I’m feeling confident. Both SciFi and MGM are gearing up their promotion machines and the episodes we‘ve finished are looking great. Yep. Confident. Not overly, but quietly so. Still, just in case, I’d like each of you to find a friend with a Nielsen box and go watch the show at their place. Make it worth their while. Bring cookies (preferably the chewy kind without raisins)!

http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2007/09/september-18-2007.html

Briangate78
September 18th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Some words from JM:

Thanks PG15! :) I still have to make that letter to send to the network since I do not have a nielsen box.

Briangate78
September 19th, 2007, 08:13 AM
There has been a lot of promotion for Season 4. Sci-fi airs ads often, you got the radio talking about it, and MGM is even doing their part. I guess since SG-1 is gone, they are focusing on SGA which is a good sign for more seasons to come.

Mitchell82
September 19th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Well when Season 5 premieres it should return next fall, that is if season 4 airs straight through. I think SGU would run along a 5th season of SGA. I've done a lot of research, and I believe Sci-fi is not ready to let go of Atlantis yet. The vice president even said he could not see Sci-fi without a Stargate series in the near or even later future.

It stinks now because what happened to SG-1, the producers are scared to assume there will be a next season. They have gone back to that attitude of "well if we get another season this is what we'll do if not it's been fun". I think Joe M is smart for this attitude.. Remember Season 6? Was supposed to be the last, Season 7? Lost city was the series finale, so they thought. Season 8? Supposed to be the last? Nope, they got fresh characters to continue it for 2 more seasons. It funny, only Season 1 through 5 were sure seasons, and they thought SG-1 would go to Season 11.

SGA was supposed to replace SG-1, but it ran aside it for 3 years, making a ton of money for both the network and MGM.

So if you think SGA will be non-renewed because the ratings dipped below a 1.5, I have to disagree with you. Eureka is only averaging a 1.6 and is down from a 2.1 season average.

It's like a class when the professor(Sci-fi/Network) has to curve the grades(The Ratings) because the entire class(The shows) average grade(The Ratings) falls below average.

Well SGU may have been shelved for now or they could be quietly working on it who knows. MGM really support this franchise and will do whatever they can to make it continue. Also in response to JM's message networks do take dvr and tivo into account. I really don't see that they will can it at least I hope they don't.

Trek_Girl42
September 19th, 2007, 04:21 PM
I have just as high hopes. *Turns into Dr Phlox(Star Trek Enterprise)* "Optimisim Captain!"
Wise words. :D

Some words from JM:

No raisins? JM has just proven that his judgement cannot be trusted. *prepares for the worst* ;)

Mitchell82
September 19th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Wise words. :D

No raisins? JM has just proven that his judgement cannot be trusted. *prepares for the worst* ;)

Sarcasam? YOU?!;)

Trek_Girl42
September 19th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Sarcasam? YOU?!;)
Maaaybe..... :D

Skydiver
September 20th, 2007, 05:51 AM
i'm betting that there's a 60% chance of getting a season 5 right now, 40% not. And i think a large part of it will depend on how much mgm is willing to pay for.

Scifi wouldhave kept sg1 on the air, had MGM been willing to pony up more money and basically give scifi a larger profit margin. (since the ratings were falling scifi wanted mgm to pay more of hte production costs, meaning that scifi would pay less to compensate for their lowering ad revenue)

I think a good part of it will come down to how important mgm deems episode 100 - which is what the season finale for season 5 will be, and if they think that another year's dvd's sales and syndication will pay for the production of the season.

If ratings go up, scifi is likely to accept less from mgm, making a season 5 more likely, if ratings are the same it's a toss up, if they fall, it depends on how much mgm loves the show and how much they are willing to pay for it

As to the dvr's....the bloody networks are doing it to themselves. They deliverately program competing programs against each other, like putting without a trace against ER or how abc put grey's anatomy head to head with CSI.

They, in thier need to compete, are forcing people to choose, and we dont' like being forced to choose, so we record. They want thier ratings to go up, then stop scheduling competing programs against each other, and we'll start watching them live

THe networks' need to 'win' is what's hurting them in teh long run

Briangate78
September 20th, 2007, 07:26 AM
i'm betting that there's a 60% chance of getting a season 5 right now, 40% not. And i think a large part of it will depend on how much mgm is willing to pay for.

Scifi wouldhave kept sg1 on the air, had MGM been willing to pony up more money and basically give scifi a larger profit margin. (since the ratings were falling scifi wanted mgm to pay more of hte production costs, meaning that scifi would pay less to compensate for their lowering ad revenue)

I think a good part of it will come down to how important mgm deems episode 100 - which is what the season finale for season 5 will be, and if they think that another year's dvd's sales and syndication will pay for the production of the season.

If ratings go up, scifi is likely to accept less from mgm, making a season 5 more likely, if ratings are the same it's a toss up, if they fall, it depends on how much mgm loves the show and how much they are willing to pay for it

As to the dvr's....the bloody networks are doing it to themselves. They deliverately program competing programs against each other, like putting without a trace against ER or how abc put grey's anatomy head to head with CSI.

They, in thier need to compete, are forcing people to choose, and we dont' like being forced to choose, so we record. They want thier ratings to go up, then stop scheduling competing programs against each other, and we'll start watching them live

Good points Skydiver! I think Season 4 will see ratings like the first half of Season 3. My reasoning for that...

1.Fall numbers usually do better for TV, Colder outside in half the country people stay home more.

2. No solid Box office competition. When Season 3.5 ran on Friday, some of the biggest movies were released in april,may, and june. Some of those movies were all time records.

3. No long hiatus. The show is world premiering on Sci-fi.

4. Sci-fi and MGM are focusing their ads on SGA, since there is no SG-1 this year.

5. Also, there is really no TV competition to my knowledge for Friday night at 10pm.

Let's just hope and see what happens. I think the chance of a season 5 is like 90%.The other 10% is if everyone at Sci-fi and MGM turns into a bunch of Baboons(Literally). LOL! Then we are screwed. lol.

Falcon Horus
September 20th, 2007, 07:35 AM
3. No long hiatus. The show is world premiering on Sci-fi.

It's the first half and that always premieres in the US first. Not much of a world-premiere. The UK-premiere, that's a world-premiere unless you think the entire world is part of the States, which is in fact not the case.

jenks
September 20th, 2007, 07:41 AM
But will the UK get the second half first this year?

Falcon Horus
September 20th, 2007, 07:47 AM

Mmm...I think by a week maybe.

Briangate78
September 20th, 2007, 07:48 AM

No, SGA is running straight through with no hiatus, except a couple of weeks for the holidays. So i think the UK will probably catch up, but won't be past the U.S. market. No offense to the other regions, but if you want this show to do better, it needs to air on Sci-fi first and that goes for all the eps.

It's the first half and that always premieres in the US first. Not much of a world-premiere. The UK-premiere, that's a world-premiere unless you think the entire world is part of the States, which is in fact not the case.

It is a world premiere, that is what Joe M stated. Because it is premiering no where else first but Sci-fi

rarocks24
September 20th, 2007, 08:49 AM
There will be a Anti-Season 5 thread as sure as there will be a Season 5, whether it will exist or not.

Falcon Horus
September 20th, 2007, 08:55 AM
There will be a Anti-Season 5 thread as sure as there will be a Season 5, whether it will exist or not.

If there's a season 5, then yes there will be an anti-season 5 thread. Don't see why it wouldn't exist.

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
September 20th, 2007, 09:21 AM
im a positive person and this like my third or fourth post on this forum because i believe there will be a season 5 i forget who said but there right episode 100 will be season 5 finale which im hoping they will actually do something special not like "wormhole x-treme" and "200" not that im downing those episode because i enjoyed "200" im just saying maybe they need like a really big story for that episode.

Briangate78
September 20th, 2007, 09:22 AM

If there's a season 5, then yes there will be an anti-season 5 thread. Don't see why it wouldn't exist.

...and there will be a Pro-Season 5 thread as well. :p

Falcon Horus
September 20th, 2007, 09:50 AM
...and there will be a Pro-Season 5 thread as well. :p

Of course, otherwise we don't have ying and yang. There won't be a balance, and we need to retain the balance.

Pitry
September 20th, 2007, 10:27 AM
An interesting bit from SyFyPortal, apparently SciFi are a bit worried because of a writers' strike that's supposed tostart in Novembner... It seemed from what they said that this doesn';t affect ongoing shows, as they said it raises SGA's and Eureka's chances of being renewed.

Briangate78
September 20th, 2007, 10:47 AM
An interesting bit from SyFyPortal, apparently SciFi are a bit worried because of a writers' strike that's supposed tostart in Novembner... It seemed from what they said that this doesn';t affect ongoing shows, as they said it raises SGA's and Eureka's chances of being renewed.

Yet another reason to get a 5th season, lol. Thanks for the info! :)

Trek_Girl42
September 20th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Excellent! Thanks for passing that on. It's all about the cards falling into place, and right now, looks like they are. :)

Briangate78
September 20th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Excellent! Thanks for passing that on. It's all about the cards falling into place, and right now, looks like they are. :)

The ratings just need to stay around a 1.5. I think that is very possible. Well we will know about 2 weeks from now how the Season Premiere did.

Skydiver
September 20th, 2007, 11:32 AM
i agree, if scfi wants to keep their ratings, tehy can't go screwing the US fans over by delaying things by months.

they HAVE to have the world wide premiere...even if it's in the same week as the uk

they mess around like they did last year and tehy will lose viewers.

PG15
September 20th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Thoughts from David Hewlett:

UGO: There doesn't seem to be an imminent threat of [cancellation] happening.

DAVID: Well, you never know, because we go year to year and it always
comes down to the last. We'll find out about a Season Five in the
next couple of months. Season Four will start airing, and they'll get
a sense of how it's going. That's all that I'll tell you. The first
few episodes are a great way to judge the season.

http://www.ugo.com/ugo/html/article/?id=17849&sectionId=7

Courtesy of morjana and SG1-Spoilergate.

Mitchell82
September 20th, 2007, 05:22 PM

Very well put I agree 100%!

Mitchell82
September 20th, 2007, 05:25 PM
i agree, if scfi wants to keep their ratings, tehy can't go screwing the US fans over by delaying things by months.

they HAVE to have the world wide premiere...even if it's in the same week as the uk

they mess around like they did last year and tehy will lose viewers.

Thankfully the delay in premiers from here to UK isn't that much, but if they do what they did with the mid half like last year there will be problems. I do however have no issue with a big delay from Last Man to the season five opener if it means only a two week break from the midseason finale to episode 11, which seems to be what they plan this year.

Briangate78
September 20th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Thankfully the delay in premiers from here to UK isn't that much, but if they do what they did with the mid half like last year there will be problems. I do however have no issue with a big delay from Last Man to the season five opener if it means only a two week break from the midseason finale to episode 11, which seems to be what they plan this year.

I would not mind a 6 month break between a season 4 and 5. That is the average season hiatus. The mid-season needs to only have that 2 week break, which I believe it does, 3 weeks the most.

Mitchell82
September 20th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I would not mind a 6 month break between a season 4 and 5. That is the average season hiatus. The mid-season needs to only have that 2 week break, which I believe it does, 3 weeks the most.

Agreed.

Skydiver
September 21st, 2007, 05:36 AM
the long midseason break hurt them massively. I mean, for pete's sake, i could have had homemade dvd's MAILED to me and still seen them before they aired on scifi...in fact, i did :)

skiffy wants to keep ahead of the ratings game, they need to do all they can to be first in viewing. And if they can't be first, they need to be in the same week, like in previous years when the eps would premiere in the UK on wed, and in the US in friday. Many folks said it wasn't worth tracking down a download just to see it 24 hours ahead of others.

Your average viewer had the attention span of a flea, they will forget that the show is even on. And only the hardcore fans will sometimes know that the show is even coming back

Briangate78
September 21st, 2007, 07:27 AM
the long midseason break hurt them massively. I mean, for pete's sake, i could have had homemade dvd's MAILED to me and still seen them before they aired on scifi...in fact, i did :)

skiffy wants to keep ahead of the ratings game, they need to do all they can to be first in viewing. And if they can't be first, they need to be in the same week, like in previous years when the eps would premiere in the UK on wed, and in the US in friday. Many folks said it wasn't worth tracking down a download just to see it 24 hours ahead of others.

Your average viewer had the attention span of a flea, they will forget that the show is even on. And only the hardcore fans will sometimes know that the show is even coming back

Here is an example of how TV works. Now, I am a huge Family Guy fan, have the DVDs, collectables, you name it. *looks at sig* :p Anyway, I did not know until this week that Family Guy was starting it's 6th Season THIS Sunday until I heard it on a local radio commercial. I don't post on a FG forum of any sort so I would not know all the details. So, advertisment is a big key, and I think SGA is getting all that promo money SG-1 was getting. I am seeing a lot of ads. Like during Eureka and Flash Gordon. I am hoping the Eureka viewers will be switching over to see SGA on Friday once Eureka ends. Both are great shows and I think the fan base is similar.

I have high hopes for Season 4 to be successful. Was watching "No man's Land" yesterday. Joe M and Martin Gero have said "Adrift" is probably their biggest season premiere. So i am excited.

gopher65
September 21st, 2007, 07:32 AM
Yup. I said it somewhere else before (maybe on a different forum), but this is the main reason why I stop watching shows. Sometimes I get tired of them and don't tune in, but mainly it is during season/midseason breaks, or when they change the time/day a show airs on.

I can't stress enough how much those 2 factors hurt networks. I have to REALLY REALLY REALLY like a show before I will go searching for it.

Shows that I got tired of and quit watching in the past few years:

The Simpsons
CSI
CSI: Miami

Shows that I stopped watching due to breaks/timechanges:

Family Guy
Lost
Alias reruns
Crossing Jordan
Bones
Prison Break
American Dad
one of the many Law&Orders on TV
Scrubs

and several other shows that I don't remember off the top of my head. I watched all of those shows until they changed the time/day it was on (prison break on my local channel), or there was a sports interrupt in the viewing schedule (I hate that), or the normal midseason/endseason break happened. Then I just stopped.

Why can't stations understand how much they damage themselves by doing stuff like this. Don't any of them remember the "humans are creatures of habit" thing? I watched The Simpsons for YEARS after I got sick of it just because I was use to tuning in at that time every Sunday on whatever local station it is on.

foggygirl
September 21st, 2007, 09:05 AM
I certainly hope so!
I just got season 3 on DVD and I belive that it was the best so far. I also have season 1 and 2 on DVD and while they are good the stories and characters in season 3 were much more developed and complicated.
Many people are extremely upset by the changes that are coming in season four most notably the abscence of Beckett and Weir and the appearance of Carter in Atlantis. Personally, while I will miss both Beckett and Weir dearly I am extremely interested in seeing how Carter will do in Atlantis. It will be interesting to see what kind of tensions arise between her and the other characters most notably Ronon and Sheppard! Those two are wildcards and I really want to see how Carter's going to react to that!
Unfortunately for me since I don't have access to the SCIFI channel I'm going to be behind in the episodes hopefully I will be able to catch them online somewhere, but if not I'm going to be extremely nosey and ask questions spoilers be damned!

Mitchell82
September 21st, 2007, 03:20 PM

Exactly and I did the same thing except I made the dvds myself and mailed them to a many people.

Briangate78
September 22nd, 2007, 11:15 AM
*ahem* There should be a 5th season, because it seems that when you take the the figures and compare them to the necessary equations of the other shows on the network not performing well, and by taking, the factor of MGM wanting more eps and a season so they can profit on the syn and DVD market, I'd say when you carry the 2, multiple by the factor of the ratings ending with a 1.5, and season 4 averaging a 1.4, which is a subtractionial difference of 0.2 or 0.3 from the network leader and that the considered dip in ratings for SGA was due to the overall hiatus of a 7 month hiatus by the network causing viewers to use other viewing methods necessary. Also with the major movie competion, which the box office on a friday primenight has newly released the movies for the summer months and had a record season at the box office, SGA was still able to hold off, even with the many viewers going to the movies who do own nielsen boxes, and the factor of that not everyone DVR's or Tivo's for that night. That makes a difference of about 0.2 to 0.3 in ratings which is equaled to about 200,000 to 300,000 viewers which were being received in the first half of Season 3. That is why we saw 1.5's Vs 1.2's!

chocdoc
September 22nd, 2007, 11:30 AM
*ahem* There should be a 5th season, because it seems that when you take the the figures and compare them to the necessary equations of the other shows on the network not performing well, and by taking, the factor of MGM wanting more eps and a season so they can profit on the syn and DVD market, I'd say when you carry the 2, multiple by the factor of the ratings ending with a 1.5, and season 4 averaging a 1.4, which is a subtractionial difference of 0.2 or 0.3 from the network leader and that the considered dip in ratings for SGA was due to the overall hiatus of a 7 month hiatus by the network causing viewers to use other viewing methods necessary. Also with the major movie competion, which the box office on a friday primenight has newly released the movies for the summer months and had a record season at the box office, SGA was still able to hold off, even with the many viewers going to the movies who do own nielsen boxes, and the factor of that not everyone DVR's or Tivo's for that night. That makes a difference of about 0.2 to 0.3 in ratings which is equaled to about 200,000 to 300,000 viewers which were being received in the first half of Season 3. That is why we saw 1.5's Vs 1.2's!

The one big difference for season 4 is that SGA is premiering in the Fall instead of the summer. This is the first time that either SGA or SG-1 has premiered at this time. It is risky to change the time from Summer to Fall, but at least this may mean that they show Season 4 with only a little break in between the first and second half of season 4. What this will do to the ratings (i.e., premiering in the Fall), however, is anyone's guess.

Briangate78
September 22nd, 2007, 11:47 AM
The one big difference for season 4 is that SGA is premiering in the Fall instead of the summer. This is the first time that either SGA or SG-1 has premiered at this time. It is risky to change the time from Summer to Fall, but at least this may mean that they show Season 4 with only a little break in between the first and second half of season 4. What this will do to the ratings (i.e., premiering in the Fall), however, is anyone's guess.

TV ratings are usually very high in the fall, and the box office is slow. Remember Stargate is on a Friday night when a lot of people usually go to the movies.

chocdoc
September 22nd, 2007, 12:42 PM
TV ratings are usually very high in the fall, and the box office is slow. Remember Stargate is on a Friday night when a lot of people usually go to the movies.

But isn't there greater competition in the Fall? And I thought Fall was a great time for new movies?

When did BSG start last year? Didn't they start in October on Friday and then have to move to Sunday?

Briangate78
September 22nd, 2007, 01:08 PM
But isn't there greater competition in the Fall? And I thought Fall was a great time for new movies?

When did BSG start last year? Didn't they start in October on Friday and then have to move to Sunday?

Not till like Nov or Dec, the movies come out. A decision will be reached before that for a 5th season. BSG lost viewers because people were losing interest. The box office is slow now, and should be like that for a couple of months.

BSG ratings dropped for other reasons. Plus they were moved to Sunday which was even worse for competiton. What shows are on, on a Friday night at 10pm?

I remember this well, because BSG ran along Family Guy on Fox. Which I would prefer to watch Family Guy live.

Plus Season 3 of BSG was not great at all. I am far from the only one who thinks so also.

Mitchell82
September 22nd, 2007, 07:35 PM
Not till like Nov or Dec, the movies come out. A decision will be reached before that for a 5th season. BSG lost viewers because people were losing interest. The box office is slow now, and should be like that for a couple of months.

BSG ratings dropped for other reasons. Plus they were moved to Sunday which was even worse for competiton. What shows are on, on a Friday night at 10pm?

I remember this well, because BSG ran along Family Guy on Fox. Which I would prefer to watch Family Guy live.

Plus Season 3 of BSG was not great at all. I am far from the only one who thinks so also.
Yeah Sunday is a bad night to air a show. The Box Office at this point is still slow. Most movies right now only appeal to a small audience. The big movies come out around Nov and Dec(The Golden Compass being one). I agree that it could be risky but not much. I think the fact that the season will run constant will be a plus. I feel season 4 will do just fine, and I agree season 3 of BSG was awfull. They took a huge risk and it blew up in their faces.

DONNA BOOTH
September 23rd, 2007, 11:47 AM
I think there will be will be a season 5 as long as the ratings remain good according to JM we should know sometime in November if the show will get renewed

Mitchell82
September 23rd, 2007, 12:36 PM
I think there will be will be a season 5 as long as the ratings remain good according to JM we should know sometime in November if the show will get renewed

I do too lets all keep our fingers crossed.

Briangate78
September 23rd, 2007, 09:18 PM
So it's getting down to the wire. The ads are out there, and now it's time for SGA to shine. This is my prediction for next week's top 5 ratings...

Eureka 1.8
Stargate Atlantis 1.7
ECW 1.5
GhostHunters 1.5
Some stupid Sci-fi movie 1.0

If we can average the first few eps to like a 1.4 to 1.6, we will get a 5th season with no questions asked. So spread the word!!!

Uber
September 23rd, 2007, 09:24 PM
I hope to have a 5th season if not just to get to see more of Jewel Staite. I'm really impressed with her as an actor and I really like Keller too so far.

Briangate78
September 23rd, 2007, 09:30 PM
I hope to have a 5th season if not just to get to see more of Jewel Staite. I'm really impressed with her as an actor and I really like Keller too so far.

I have high hopes for the new cast. Also Weir is not going to be fizzled out from what I read. Weir is going to have a major part in the story for the eps she is in. A 5th season may support a return for characters lost.

Uber
September 23rd, 2007, 10:00 PM
I have high hopes for the new cast. Also Weir is not going to be fizzled out from what I read. Weir is going to have a major part in the story for the eps she is in. A 5th season may support a return for characters lost.I have hopes that with a fifth season we'll be able to see characters who've left for one reason or another and tie them up or have them return to cause more problems/mix things up a bit. I am in favor of the cast changes too as long as it's done well and so far...from all indications at least...it looks like it will be.

Briangate78
September 23rd, 2007, 10:03 PM
I have hopes that with a fifth season we'll be able to see characters who've left for one reason or another and tie them up or have them return to cause more problems/mix things up a bit. I am in favor of the cast changes too as long as it's done well and so far...from all indications at least...it looks like it will be.

Well when I look at what they did to Ford, that was a great move. I don't know how the Weir thing will do, but we are getting Carter as a replacement. I love both characters the same, so it's really not a loss to me. I think Weir will shine next season, and she'll be back down the road, unlike Ford.

Uber
September 23rd, 2007, 10:05 PM
Well when I look at what they did to Ford, that was a great move. I don't know how the Weir thing will do, but we are getting Carter as a replacement. I love both characters the same, so it's really not a loss to me. I think Weir will shine next season, and she'll be back down the road, unlike Ford.I think it's possible we'll see more Weir, Ford and Beckett as the storyline calls for it but I've seen no indication that any of them will return as regulars. But like I said...if it's done well...the departures and the additions as well as the revisitings, I'm okay with it.

Ripple in Space
September 23rd, 2007, 10:22 PM
I can't stress enough how much those 2 factors hurt networks. I have to REALLY REALLY REALLY like a show before I will go searching for it.

Shows that I got tired of and quit watching in the past few years:

The Simpsons
CSI
CSI: Miami

Those 3 shows are juggernauts, they really don't have to worry about losing a few viewers, since Miami is the most viewed show in the world, and CSI is the most viewed drama in the US. The Simpsons gets 4-year contracts at a time. Atlantis has a small, but devoted fanbase, it isn't like early SG-1 where you can watch an ep here and there and still enjoy it. When Atlantis loses a fan it doesn't recover so quick, that's one show on TV that should be bending over backwards to produce a program that maintains a level of quality and at the same time doesn't piss off the fans.

Briangate78
September 24th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Hey Everyone,

Show your support on the official Sci-fi Atlantis forum...

http://forums.scifi.com/index.php?showtopic=2277949&st=120&#entry4235375

We need to show the network there are a lot of fans watching live that do not count towards the flawed rating system.

Mitchell82
September 24th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Those 3 shows are juggernauts, they really don't have to worry about losing a few viewers, since Miami is the most viewed show in the world, and CSI is the most viewed drama in the US. The Simpsons gets 4-year contracts at a time. Atlantis has a small, but devoted fanbase, it isn't like early SG-1 where you can watch an ep here and there and still enjoy it. When Atlantis loses a fan it doesn't recover so quick, that's one show on TV that should be bending over backwards to produce a program that maintains a level of quality and at the same time doesn't piss off the fans.

Agreed however SGA has the quality to last and IMO is one of the few shows now that is family friendly. It has both great quality and excellent drama that appeals to both adults and kids. I see no reason why SGA won't do good enough to warrant a 5th season.

Erised
September 24th, 2007, 01:48 PM
I hope not.

Trek_Girl42
September 24th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Agreed however SGA has the quality to last and IMO is one of the few shows now that is family friendly. It has both great quality and excellent drama that appeals to both adults and kids. I see no reason why SGA won't do good enough to warrant a 5th season.
I agree- though family-friendly depends on your definition. I'm not allowed to show my sister any wraith! :P :(

Mitchell82
September 24th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I agree- though family-friendly depends on your definition. I'm not allowed to show my sister any wraith! :P :(

Well it depends on age. What I meant is there is little language and sex just inuendo from time to time. Most shows on tv skirt the perverbial line on lanuage,violence and sex. Atlantis has violence and language but usually very mild. THere is a dark episode every so often but in general the Gates have been quality tv for most ages.;)

Trek_Girl42
September 24th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Well it depends on age. What I meant is there is little language and sex just inuendo from time to time. Most shows on tv skirt the perverbial line on lanuage,violence and sex. Atlantis has violence and language but usually very mild. THere is a dark episode every so often but in general the Gates have been quality tv for most ages.;)
Oh I agree- I love having something to watch where I can at least watch some of the episodes without worrying over little children being in the room. :P Sadly, can't do that for most of the stuff I watch. :(

Mitchell82
September 24th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Oh I agree- I love having something to watch where I can at least watch some of the episodes without worrying over little children being in the room. :P Sadly, can't do that for most of the stuff I watch. :(

No kidding. Even CSI,Law and Order and even NCIS are getting bad in that area.

Trek_Girl42
September 24th, 2007, 02:31 PM
No kidding. Even CSI,Law and Order and even NCIS are getting bad in that area.
Can't stand any of those shows to begin with. :P

SGFerrit
September 24th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Just 4 days to go until the premier of season 4!

The show deserves a season 5. There are millions out there across the world who want one. The people who don't want a s5 don't have to watch it, they have a choice. However, the people who do want a s5 don't. I will be distraught if we don't get a s5.

Mitchell82
September 24th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Can't stand any of those shows to begin with. :P

Really hmm guess the only things we have in common is Stargate, Star Trek and love for chocolate!;)

Mitchell82
September 24th, 2007, 02:41 PM

The show deserves a season 5. There are millions out there across the world who want one. The people who don't want a s5 don't have to watch it, they have a choice. However, the people who do want a s5 don't. I will be distraught if we don't get a s5.

Agreed. We both will be upset if we don't. *alreday thinking of just revenge to scifi if they can it*

Trek_Girl42
September 24th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Really hmm guess the only things we have in common is Stargate, Star Trek and love for chocolate!;)
:lol:

*sigh* If SGA doesn't get a fifth season, after next year the only programs left on it worth watching will be Eureka and Doctor Who. :S

Which sucks, because as genre fans we need this channel to stay alive, no matter how disgruntled we get with it, it's the only place we stand a chance of getting sci-fi that isn't catered to the mass audience as networks have to do.

Mitchell82
September 24th, 2007, 02:52 PM
:lol:

*sigh* If SGA doesn't get a fifth season, after next year the only programs left on it worth watching will be Eureka and Doctor Who. :S

Which sucks, because as genre fans we need this channel to stay alive, no matter how disgruntled we get with it, it's the only place we stand a chance of getting sci-fi that isn't catered to the mass audience as networks have to do.

Good point but the only problem is that all scifi's orriginal programming sucks with the exception of Atlantis. They can't make a good show or movie even if their life depended on it.

Briangate78
September 24th, 2007, 03:30 PM

There are more people who are pro than anti. It's not like Season 9 of SG-1 when RDA left.

Mitchell82
September 24th, 2007, 05:14 PM
There are more people who are pro than anti. It's not like Season 9 of SG-1 when RDA left.

That's true but I was a pro then just as now, what's better this time is that like you said there are more pros this time.

Briangate78
September 24th, 2007, 05:21 PM
That's true but I was a pro then just as now, what's better this time is that like you said there are more pros this time.

I am not happy about Weir, still have hope she'll be back if we do get a 5th season. However I love Carter also, so it was an even swap for me.

Mitchell82
September 24th, 2007, 05:25 PM
I am not happy about Weir, still have hope she'll be back if we do get a 5th season. However I love Carter also, so it was an even swap for me.

Kinda the same here. I do like Weir and didn't want her gone but she was my least favorite though I love Carter so I'm happy.

Trek_Girl42
September 24th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I really hope Weir is back for season five as well- she's tied for my second favourite character on Atlantis, and is my favourite female character in the Stargate universe. I'm not a huge fan of Sam, but I see this as an oppertunity in the sense that I hope her being on Atlantis will give me the chance to like her more. *crosses fingers* So I see it as a lose-win situation. If that makes sense. :P Same with Keller. I'm going to miss Beckett, but I'd love to see Jewel Staite in another show. Lose-win again.

But if Weir goes the way of Ford and vanishes completely never to return in season five, I will not be a happy camper. Especially after seeing her in Tao of Rodney, she was wonderful in that ep. :weir:

Of course, I'm talking as if season five were already gaurenteed. :P

Briangate78
September 24th, 2007, 07:04 PM
I really hope Weir is back for season five as well- she's tied for my second favourite character on Atlantis, and is my favourite female character in the Stargate universe. I'm not a huge fan of Sam, but I see this as an oppertunity in the sense that I hope her being on Atlantis will give me the chance to like her more. *crosses fingers* So I see it as a lose-win situation. If that makes sense. :P Same with Keller. I'm going to miss Beckett, but I'd love to see Jewel Staite in another show. Lose-win again.

But if Weir goes the way of Ford and vanishes completely never to return in season five, I will not be a happy camper. Especially after seeing her in Tao of Rodney, she was wonderful in that ep. :weir:

Of course, I'm talking as if season five were already gaurenteed. :P

I think this is all planned by the actress and producers to have her step aside but bring her back. Notice they did not announce the last ep she will be in? Could be the Season Finale. Which could set up her return for a 5th season.

Trek_Girl42
September 24th, 2007, 07:42 PM
I think this is all planned by the actress and producers to have her step aside but bring her back. Notice they did not announce the last ep she will be in? Could be the Season Finale. Which could set up her return for a 5th season.
That would be a gift. :D Especially as AT's contract will be up after this season so we don't know whether she'll be up for a season five or not. Either way, I hope things work out nicely for both actresses and what they want to do.

Briangate78
September 24th, 2007, 08:29 PM
That would be a gift. :D Especially as AT's contract will be up after this season so we don't know whether she'll be up for a season five or not. Either way, I hope things work out nicely for both actresses and what they want to do.

After reading that next season will set up for another season was a good sign. The season finale will also be a cliffhanger. So that is also good that they are writing to continue the story. :)

Briangate78
September 25th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Wow even Joe M is confident that SGA will have another pick up! If you check out his last blog it states how he feels the show will do well.

Also, I saw like 4 commericials for SGA during Eureka tonight. That is huge! I have never seen so many ads for SGA before. This is a very good sign.

vaberella
September 26th, 2007, 01:13 AM
^^ I wonder...Scifi trying to make up for it's mistake with the press kits?! In any event, I think they have a good chance of pick up, and if this season ends up with flying colors AND S5 does well, I think they're sorted until about S7. After that, then I think they'd have to work for it.

Briangate78
September 26th, 2007, 06:32 AM
^^ I wonder...Scifi trying to make up for it's mistake with the press kits?! In any event, I think they have a good chance of pick up, and if this season ends up with flying colors AND S5 does well, I think they're sorted until about S7. After that, then I think they'd have to work for it.

I just do not see Sci-fi without a Stargate series in the next couple of years. Stargate has been the flagship show for 5 years now going on 6!

Especially, since BSG is ending next season!

stclare
September 26th, 2007, 11:07 AM
I just do not see Sci-fi without a Stargate series in the next couple of years. Stargate has been the flagship show for 5 years now going on 6!

Especially, since BSG is ended next season!

they may also want to continue the fanchise to help the third spin off series. im assuming it will be picked up by scifi. i havent actualy read much on the third spin off but if its due to air within the next year or so they may wish to air it before or after sga. therefore giving the third series a better start. :)

Briangate78
September 26th, 2007, 11:48 AM
they may also want to continue the fanchise to help the third spin off series. im assuming it will be picked up by scifi. i havent actualy read much on the third spin off but if its due to air within the next year or so they may wish to air it before or after sga. therefore giving the third series a better start. :)

When I see itunes sales in the top 10 and DVD sales almost in the top 3, competing against major network shows it makes you think. The Stargate franchise is very strong, and the fans have grown over the years. I think the reduce in ratings for Sci-fi was a lot of other factors, not fans losing interest in the show. This means with all the publicity SGA is getting for Friday we could see the show bounce right back up!

Mattathias2.0
September 26th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I see Atlantis getting a S5, but it could last as far as S7. I'm optimistic.

jenks
September 26th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Atlantis is getting 1.1 in syndication, they should do fine this season...

Briangate78
September 26th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Atlantis is getting 1.1 in syndication, they should do fine this season...

Yeah and the new eps(Season 3) did not even start yet. Those are ratings from like 3 weeks ago I believe.

Ruffles
September 27th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Have you seen this website? Hey!Neilsen (http://www.heynielsen.com/)

IWTB found it. It claims to be related to Neilsen.com.

Briangate78
September 27th, 2007, 07:47 AM
I don't think that site is releated to Neilsen media. However it looks like SGA is being well received by a lot of people! :)

Carter1994
September 27th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Hmm... Do I think there will be a season 5 of Stargate Atlantis? HA! You'd better believe it! If there's not I think I'd die! (Well, okay that's a bit harsh... maybe just lock myself in my room with all of the Stargate DVDs for a few weeks...) Yeah, I definitely want it to continue even if my family's TV is the only one that still tunes in on it!

Sorry for yammering and butting in on you, I just wanted to express my feelings... I'm done now. :o

Mitchell82
September 27th, 2007, 05:10 PM

Well she has said she'd love to stay so I hope AT stays on for a fifth season and mabey Weir as recurring.

Mattathias2.0
September 27th, 2007, 10:09 PM
On the 12th day of Christmas... :)

Mitchell82
September 27th, 2007, 11:14 PM
On the 12th day of Christmas... :)

:lol: good one.

Briangate78
September 29th, 2007, 07:15 AM
If the season premiere can hold around a 1.5 and not fall too far down we should get a Season 5 with no questions asked. :)

badabing
September 29th, 2007, 10:55 AM
honestly, i think there has to be a season 5 unless the ratings this season are extremely awful. If decent ratings, there will be an extension.

Without Atlantis, what will Scifi have? Eureka is the next best thing and BSG is done. I think they have no choice considering how bad their new programs have been.

Briangate78
October 2nd, 2007, 07:50 AM
According to Joe M's Blog ratings for the 4th season premiere were not bad and scored very high in key demographics(something Sci-fi looks at). He went on to say that he is hopeful for a 5th season pickup.

Keep the faith! If you watch it, it will be renewed.

Anyway, shot my letter out to Sci-fi telling them I watched the show and appreciate them airing Stargate over the years. :)

Ripple in Space
October 2nd, 2007, 10:21 AM
How can there not be? SciFi's lineup next year will only have one remotely popular show (Eureka). When they canceled SG-1 they had Atlantis, BattleStar & Eureka to look forward to.

Broadcast networks usually have a dozen shows with greater popularity than Eureka, and Cable Networks that carry original programing usually have at least 4 (USA, FX, TNT). No network can survive on 1. It's not even like "Eureka" is a monster hit, most people have never heard of it, there' no way it'll carry a network, and Atlantis doesn't currently have enough eps to draw in a syndication following. While TV standards say 100eps, I think 120 is the minimum for serious ratings numbers. Look at "Angel" it was a much more popular show than Atlantis, as in having more viewers in one good ep, than a month's worth of Atlantis. Yet Angel syndication has dropped into early morning status.

Briangate78
October 2nd, 2007, 03:17 PM
Check out TV.com, SGA is ranked # 1 Sci-fi show...

http://www.tv.com/sci-fi/genre/10/summary.html

Also on Hey Nielsen! SGA ranks # 2! Hey Nielsen is a new site made by Nielsen Media where fans/viewers can post their opinions and thoughts.....

http://www.heynielsen.com/rankings/

Remember to watch the show live, and write a letter to Sci-fi telling them you watch the show live.

Mitchell82
October 2nd, 2007, 08:43 PM

Also on Hey Nielsen! SGA ranks # 2! Hey Nielsen is a new site made by Nielsen Media where fans/viewers can post their opinions and thoughts.....

Remember to watch the show live, and write a letter to Sci-fi telling them you watch the show live. WHOOOO!

Major_Griff
October 2nd, 2007, 10:30 PM
Maybe we should all send Scifi some lemons with "send more" written on them?

ShaneMcC
October 2nd, 2007, 10:32 PM
Aren't they show runners from SG-1 seasons 9 & 10 now ruining (sorry typo or is my slip showing?) I mean running season 4 of SGA? If so I'm going to go with no.

Falcon Horus
October 3rd, 2007, 05:06 AM
Brian, have you seen the news on GW homepage about the premiere's 1.2 rating (http://www.gateworld.net/news/2007/10/season_four_premieres_with_1.2_r.shtml).

Have anything to say? Cause you have a way of interpreting things and seeing things I can't, which I admire btw.

chocdoc
October 3rd, 2007, 06:18 AM
I think because Eureka also got a 1.2 last week during major network premiere week, SGA's 1.2 is not horrible. I think Scifi will wait and see if SGA can retain or even slightly gain viewership. The cancelled shows so far have slipped below 1.0. If SGA can stay steady or gain a little, it may have another season. If it slips below 1.0, then I don't think there is a remote chance that it will get another season.

BSG, the show critics love and also once had good ratings, fell quite a bit when it premiered last Fall, so much so that they moved it to Sunday. Why would Scifi expect SGA not to experience the same fate premiering in the Fall instead of the Summer?

Briangate78
October 3rd, 2007, 06:50 AM
Brian, have you seen the news on GW homepage about the premiere's 1.2 rating (http://www.gateworld.net/news/2007/10/season_four_premieres_with_1.2_r.shtml).

Have anything to say? Cause you have a way of interpreting things and seeing things I can't, which I admire btw.

If the week for Sci-fi is down, and the top show is only gettng a 1.4, in this case GH. I think a 1.2 is really a good number. I understand what Joe was saying, that it is not bad news and there is still a lot of hope for a 5th season. My theory is, that MGM knows there is a strong fan base, with the itunes and DVD sales. They will do everything they can to get Sci-fi to renew for a 5th season. I also think that if the show stays around this mark around a 1.2 to 1.3, we will be fine.

Oh and thank you for the compliment. I am just so upset with how the ratings are so flawed.

I think because Eureka also got a 1.2 last week during major network premiere week, SGA's 1.2 is not horrible. I think Scifi will wait and see if SGA can retain or even slightly gain viewership. The cancelled shows so far have slipped below 1.0. If SGA can stay steady or gain a little, it may have another season. If it slips below 1.0, then I don't think there is a remote chance that it will get another season.

BSG, the show critics love and also once had good ratings, fell quite a bit when it premiered last Fall, so much so that they moved it to Sunday. Why would Scifi expect SGA not to experience the same fate premiering in the Fall instead of the Summer?

The season finale for BSG only got a 1.2! LOL, it seems that is the magic number now. I agree btw, because Eureka got a 1.2, that is very good news for SGA. I am actually hoping last night's Eureka gets similar. At this point who cares, since it already got renewed.

Astraldust
October 3rd, 2007, 08:13 AM

Remember to watch the show live, and write a letter to Sci-fi telling them you watch the show live.

Atlantis now ranks first in TV, and JF & DH second and third in the personality rankings over at the nielsen site. I think that's telling TPTB that we love the show. Whether that's enough to get us S5 is another thing but I'm staying optimistic despite the not so brilliant rating.

Briangate78
October 3rd, 2007, 08:20 AM
Atlantis now ranks first in TV, and JF & DH second and third in the personality rankings over at the nielsen site. I think that's telling TPTB that we love the show. Whether that's enough to get us S5 is another thing but I'm staying optimistic despite the not so brilliant rating.

What is good about that Nieslen site, it is offically put out by Nielsen Galaxy media.

SGFerrit
October 3rd, 2007, 08:21 AM
Aren't they show runners from SG-1 seasons 9 & 10 now ruining (sorry typo or is my slip showing?) I mean running season 4 of SGA? If so I'm going to go with no.

No. Joe Mallozzi and Paul Mullie are now running the show. Doing a bang up job too in my opinion.

ann_sgcfan
October 3rd, 2007, 08:29 AM

yeah I agree! They maintained their season ending ratings going up against a tough fall premiere and like you said Eureka dropped from 1.8 to 1.2 last week due to the premieres. I think if they move Atlantis back to the summer for 5th season they will have similar numbers as Eureka ... for me personally I would love if they had Eureka (s3) followed by Atlantis (s5). They are the only 2 shows I watch anymore on the network :P