PDA

View Full Version : Do you think there will be a season 5 of Stargate Atlantis?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Briangate78
August 8th, 2007, 05:36 AM
When SGA S1 was airing, even though I was thoroughly enjoying the show, I said that I didn't see the show going past six seasons, just because I didn't see in my mind that the Wraith as villains could last much longer than that, if that long at all. While I think that since then the wraith may have been given more longevity, I still don't see it going more than six. Just the fact that in season four we are already questioning wheather or not there will be a fifth season is a bad sign. Of course SG-1 went on for five years after they began to question the show's future, but we we can't expect every series in the franchise to last 10 seasons. I think that six is a good standard. Its long enough that the show could be called a long running series, but it's not so long that you run into the problems of the cast getting paid more and more (I believe the original five were signed through six seasons) and actors wanting to leave the show and, while I like Ori storyline, no complete resets of the cast and story like S9-10 of SG-1.

Good point, I don't see the show going more than 6 or 7 seasons. I know there is a very good chance for at least a 5th. It's what I am trying to explain to gange, that the odds are for it.

It is a reminder that white middle class males between the ages of 18 and 49 who also happen to have Neilson Boxes have to watch the show. None of the rest of us matter, because we either:

A) Aren't counted, or
B) Are not in the "key" demographic that advertisers love (and that networks therefore have to pander to)

If you don't fall into the above category then you can ... obtain ... the show without affecting SciFi's decision in any way shape or form. This is especially true for those of us who don't live in the US.

This is why the system of a single station in a single country making an internationally aired show is stupid. That station takes all the risk and reaps little of the reward, and everyone, from the makers of the show to the fans to the station itself ends up getting screwed. I don't know how this moronic model ever ended up coming into being.

Yeah when we had the long hiatus, a lot of people went to the net, because they were tired of waiting.

The ratings are so flawed anyway, they don't count people without Nielsen boxes like Satellite, and they don't count Tivo and DVR'ing. The system needs to change like it did for the music industry. Now they count downloads and digitial sales along with regular retail sales for the charts.

gopher65
August 8th, 2007, 06:14 AM
The ratings are so flawed anyway, they don't count people without Nielsen boxes like Satellite, and they don't count Tivo and DVR'ing. The system needs to change like it did for the music industry. Now they count downloads and digitial sales along with regular retail sales for the charts.
Very very very very few people have Neilson boxes. Like, thousands in a country of 300 million. They are the only ones that matter. Whether the other people have satellite or not doesn't matter. Only the special boxes matter:(. I hate that system. It means that I don't get a vote.

Ruffles
August 8th, 2007, 06:52 AM
It's a reminder to not illegally download the show. LOL! If the dip was just SG I'd be worried, the entire network is down, heck ECW has been getting like a 1.2 and 1.3 the past month or so.

*giggle* Agreed.

Avoiding six month mid-season hiatus' is a good way to prevent people from illegally downloading. If what is said about a short X-Mas break is true, then it means there is less incentive for those in the US (about the only ratings that matter in this case) and ratings will be higher.

So true. I REALLY hope they have all learned their lesson. You may have gotten away with long hiatuses before the internet age, but to try to do so now is insanity.

Very very very very few people have Neilson boxes. Like, thousands in a country of 300 million. They are the only ones that matter. Whether the other people have satellite or not doesn't matter. Only the special boxes matter:(. I hate that system. It means that I don't get a vote.

I agree. Maybe the results of this past season (not just SGA, but TV viewership as a whole) will spark at least a thought in Hollywood of changing its measurement tools.

Briangate78
August 8th, 2007, 07:08 AM

I know, that's the problem.

Anyway went back and looked at all the ratings weeks for the past several months, even when BSG was airing. A 1.2 rating always seemed to place a show in the top 5. If SGA was the only show that was hurting, I'd say, ok it's been fun, 4th season is the last. But when the top show barely makes it above a 1.5, and the top 5 shows are averaging a 1.3, it makes you think, hey the entire network and TV ratings across the board are down.

Sci-fi will look at the rating spikes and see that 1.5 for the finale and even the 1.4 for the mid-season opener. That is equivalent to about 2 million viewers roughly(using approx, so i don't get flamed. :p ).

If SGA got like a .7 or .8 like PKJ then we should be worried.

If SGA's season 4 premiere pulls in over a 1.5, and stays pretty consistent, we will see a 5th season, IMHO.

Briangate78
August 8th, 2007, 07:10 AM
*giggle* Agreed.

So true. I REALLY hope they have all learned their lesson. You may have gotten away with long hiatuses before the internet age, but to try to do so now is insanity.

When the producer and the network tell you to watch the show live, they mean not to download it off the net, lol. Legal or illegally.

You know that almost every ep of SGA was in the top 10 of itunes and amazon unboxed. So that goes to show.

gange57
August 8th, 2007, 07:10 AM
The ratings are so flawed anyway, they don't count people without Nielsen boxes like Satellite, and they don't count Tivo and DVR'ing.

*sigh*

This (http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2005-12-18-nielsen-dvr_x.htm) was reported in Dec. '05.

Very very very very few people have Neilson boxes. Like, thousands in a country of 300 million. They are the only ones that matter. Whether the other people have satellite or not doesn't matter. Only the special boxes matter. I hate that system. It means that I don't get a vote.

Have you ever taken a course in statistics?

Briangate78
August 8th, 2007, 07:22 AM
*sigh*

This (http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2005-12-18-nielsen-dvr_x.htm) was reported in Dec. '05.

*sigh*

Meant for Satellite boxes only. My bad.

Ruffles
August 8th, 2007, 07:48 AM
When the producer and the network tell you to watch the show live, they mean not to download it off the net, lol. Legal or illegally.

You know that almost every ep of SGA was in the top 10 of itunes and amazon unboxed. So that goes to show.

I don't know if I agree with that. The iTunes downloads are available only after it airs in the US. I guess some might bypass the network viewing and only watch the download, but I wouldn't think that would have a dramatic effect on the ratings.

*sigh*

Woo hoo! I have one of those. Would I know if my box was in the sample? I know it's extremely unlikely. I guess my question is: do they need permission or is having Tivo in essence giving permission?

gopher65
August 8th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Have you ever taken a course in statistics?
I have. In order for statics to be even moderately accurate, they need to be obtained using a random sampling technique. *Every time new stats are produced, a new random sample needs to be taken.* This does not happen with Neilson. They hand out boxes to a few people, and then those people contribute forever (or close enough to it). In order for it to be a random sample, they would have to take back the boxes from each person at the end of each day, and hand them out to new people (or give everyone boxes, and randomly select a few thousand for their sample each day. Or each hour).Therefore it is NOT a random sample, and it is NOT accurate. They are just pulling useless numbers out of biased data. It is a stupid system.

Just to give an example. Imagine that the US government decided that only 10000 people would be allowed to vote in every federal election from now on. They reason that this would save a lot of money, and that the results would be fairly accurate. Out of every 20 elections, 19 would be within the margin of error (which is a silly concept. "19 times out of 20 we won't be absolutely totally wrong, but instead we'll be just sort of wrong! WooT!").

The catch is this: It will be the same 10000 people voting. Forever. When each person dies, they will be replaced with one new person.

Would you consider this a fair system? How would you decide how each of those "random" 10000 people was selected? because the sample size is so small in comparison to the population, it is entirely possible that all 10000 people could be from one political party. Easily possible. (EDIT: How do you decide where they come from? People in cities are overall more democratic, people in rural areas are more republican. So if you take them all from cities, it will favour democrats. But if take a significant number from more rural areas, then cities will be unfairly punished, and will not be proportionately represented. Fortunately there is one way to get around this problem: give everyone a vote./EDIT)

The same is true of the moronic Neilson system. It is fatally flawed; the sample isn't truely random, and it is far far to small to be useful.

Briangate78
August 8th, 2007, 10:12 AM
The following shows are in syndication with less than 100 episodes:

Star Trek TOS - 80 eps.
Sopranos - 86
Arrested Development - 53
Futurama - 72

MGM may be interested in getting more episodes for syndication. SciFi only cares about the first runs.

Where is your Source? By next fall, 2008. There will be 3 seasons available to Sci-fi. Why would they not want to utilize the reairs? The SG-1 reairs were a big factor in SG-1 non-renewal decision. SG-1 reairs declined, an example was for the SG-1 monday. Robert Cooper mentioned that in his last interview.

SGA is still a pretty fresh product, A 7pm SGA slot reair for an example could do really well. It makes more sense to reair 100 eps than only say 60 or 80.

Sci-fi depends a lot on Reairs, they would not have purchased the rights to SG-1 and Enterprise for an example if they did not think so. The cost for reairs eps are lower than new episodes.

the dancer of spaz
August 8th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Quick question: Flash Gordon and Dr. Who are premiering this month right?

If so, I guess the best way to tell whether or not SciFi might be willing to pony up for a S5 will be to see how Dr. Who and Flash Gordon perform on Fridays without Atlantis, and then to compare it to how they perform with Atlantis. I've heard mixed reviews about Flash Gordon that lean towards "meh", so I guess we'll see. And Dr. Who wasn't doing much better than Atlantis last year right?

As for truly original programming, while Eureka is an obvious mainstay, it would appear that Painkiller Jane may fall along the path of The Dresden Files. :S It won't break my heart or anything, but it does seem like SciFi is struggling with its programming.

Unless they begin a serious ad push late into this month and the beginning of September, I don't really see Atlantis pulling in huge ratings on Friday. This switch to 10 pm is also worrisome - especially if Flash Gordon and Dr. Who aren't that fantastic on their own.

Major, major speculation here, but I think if Atlantis starts ranking second place behind Eureka, or third place behind BSG (not counting wrestling in this equation), it might not be so farfetched that we'd get a fifth season.

FoolishPleasure
August 8th, 2007, 10:41 AM

If so, I guess the best way to tell whether or not SciFi might be willing to pony up for a S5 will be to see how Dr. Who and Flash Gordon perform on Fridays without Atlantis, and then to compare it to how they perform with Atlantis. I've heard mixed reviews about Flash Gordon that lean towards "meh", so I guess we'll see. And Dr. Who wasn't doing much better than Atlantis last year right?

Doctor Who already started in July, but was paired with Painkiller Jane. DW's ratings last year were high, which is why Skiffy bought season 3, but they have dropped with the show tied to PKJ. BTW - PKJ has NOT been renewed. Skiffy won't announce next year's schedule until sometime in the fall.

Flash Gordon's reviews have been rather negative and since it will be SGA's lead-in, that could be a concern.

Briangate78
August 8th, 2007, 11:12 AM

As for truly original programming, while Eureka is an obvious mainstay, it would appear that Painkiller Jane may fall along the path of The Dresden Files. :S It won't break my heart or anything, but it does seem like SciFi is struggling with its programming.

Unless they begin a serious ad push late into this month and the beginning of September, I don't really see Atlantis pulling in huge ratings on Friday. This switch to 10 pm is also worrisome - especially if Flash Gordon and Dr. Who aren't that fantastic on their own.

Major, major speculation here, but I think if Atlantis starts ranking second place behind Eureka, or third place behind BSG (not counting wrestling in this equation), it might not be so farfetched that we'd get a fifth season.

Yeah PKJ and Dr. Who numbers are really bad. Reruns of SG-1 get about a .6 or .7 now. Which is right behind PKJ and Dr. Who.

As per those awful 1.2's we saw. They really are not so bad. If you look at most of the programming ranks in the past several months. A 1.2 would put a show into the top 5 most of those weeks. Again, I am still blaming it on the long hiatus, why SGA fell that low to begin with. I mean as an active member on multiple forums, it was not fun when people would post "Oh I saw the season/series finale already" So a lot of people used other means to watch the shows.

You said SGA ranks second? You are sorta correct. :p Eureka is on top as of now, and SGA would be next, however if you count ECW, SGA falls right behind ECW which would make it 3rd. Ghost Hunters is neck in neck, but if you count SGA's overall last season, it beats Ghost Hunters out. (Of course I'm talking Active shows only, SG-1 just beat out SGA because of the finale ratings) It's a shame they will only really look at the back half of Season 3. Hopefully the 1.4 premiere and 1.5 finale are strong enough numbers.

I truly wish they take into consideration the Season 4 premiere. Joe M said because of when SGA starts they will look at the first couple of eps of season 4. I think it can do 1.6+ which should secure a season 5.

Nothing against Canada or other regions, but it's better that the states are getting the show first.

gopher65
August 8th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Nothing against Canada or other regions, but it's better that the states are getting the show first.
Or you know, the US could just not make any more shows. Cause obviously they can't handle what they already have. Or better yet, the US can have all the first runs of every reality show on the planet, and leave the real shows to better countries.

Did The Dresden Files get cancelled?:( I liked that show. Kinda. Sorta. Well, enough to watch it.

the dancer of spaz
August 8th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Or you know, the US could just not make any more shows. Cause obviously they can't handle what they already have. Or better yet, the US can have all the first runs of every reality show on the planet, and leave the real shows to better countries.

From a studio/production standpoint, distributing to other countries isn't what pays the bills - at least, that's how I understand it. Syndication is a huge market, but it's the ad dollars that make the buck for everyone. And the US is full of peeps just waiting for good reasons to spend our hard-earned cash.

Unfortunately, the US also seems to be the most fickle audience. :S I don't envy studio execs the task of predicting success and failure.

Falcon Horus
August 8th, 2007, 03:45 PM

Then don't be surprised when people download, especially those that don't live in the first served country and have to wait two-three years before they get to see any new seasons.

I hate it that it's the US that gets to decide which shows live and which don't. I hate it even more when it's the crap that gets to live.

I'm hoping the execs make a decision which has valued reasonings behind it, whether that be a season 5 for Atlantis or not.

Briangate78
August 8th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Then don't be surprised when people download, especially those that don't live in the first served country and have to wait two-three years before they get to see any new seasons.

I hate it that it's the US that gets to decide which shows live and which don't. I hate it even more when it's the crap that gets to live.

I'm hoping the execs make a decision which has valued reasonings behind it, whether that be a season 5 for Atlantis or not.

I agree. U.S. TV is so unstable, look how many great potential shows were canned before they could even shine. Firefly and Dresden Files are two examples.

At least the Dr. Who fans have it differently. :p

Falcon Horus
August 8th, 2007, 04:44 PM
I agree. U.S. TV is so unstable, look how many great potential shows were canned before they could even shine. Firefly and Dresden Files are two examples.

Firefly indeed. I hadn't read the end and that was already coming to mind. :p

At least the Dr. Who fans have it differently. :p

Still have to give that another chance. Though I've seen Torchwood and I'm glad that has been renewed for another season. Brits know to appreciate good television. :D

Briangate78
August 8th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Firefly indeed. I hadn't read the end and that was already coming to mind. :p

Still have to give that another chance. Though I've seen Torchwood and I'm glad that has been renewed for another season. Brits know to appreciate good television. :D

Reality shows have overpowered U.S. TV, imo. People just don't have an imagination or a sense for an adventure. Don't get me wrong, some shows do well, but when you look across the board, reality shows seem to overpower the TV.

scifi_lemon
August 8th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Reality shows have overpowered U.S. TV, imo. People just don't have an imagination or a sense for an adventure. Don't get me wrong, some shows do well, but when you look across the board, reality shows seem to overpower the TV.

Don't forget about Lost, Heroes, Stargate, The Simpsons, House, and other rare gems in the mud. ;) I ignore most of the reality stuff (well, except Hell's Kitchen. That's an awesome show :P) but, yeah, it does seem like there's a lot better programing overseas.

Teelie
August 9th, 2007, 04:48 AM
I blame the state of US television squarely on the flawed Nielson Ratings scheme.

gange57
August 9th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Woo hoo! I have one of those. Would I know if my box was in the sample? I know it's extremely unlikely. I guess my question is: do they need permission or is having Tivo in essence giving permission?

Nielsen is the company that researches ratings. Unless you've been selected by them as a Nielsen family, you aren't having any impact on the ratings. Tivo does conduct their own research (http://www3.tivo.com/tivo-tco/top25.do;tivo-tco-jsessionid=G7YQLlR72n3NJ69FB6ZczG2lb5vD2M1GT81mFGP53S0ny75hhkGy!1890057986!sjwlp rd06!9001!9002!461528866!sjwlprd05!9001!9002?show25=seasonpass). With all the talk from TPTB about watching "live," it would seem DVRs aren't helping shows like Stargate.

I have. In order for statics to be even moderately accurate, they need to be obtained using a random sampling technique. *Every time new stats are produced, a new random sample needs to be taken.* This does not happen with Neilson. They hand out boxes to a few people, and then those people contribute forever (or close enough to it). In order for it to be a random sample, they would have to take back the boxes from each person at the end of each day, and hand them out to new people (or give everyone boxes, and randomly select a few thousand for their sample each day. Or each hour).Therefore it is NOT a random sample, and it is NOT accurate. They are just pulling useless numbers out of biased data. It is a stupid system.

I'm not following you. Are you saying that there isn't any turnover in Nielsen families? I agree though, it isn't really random sampling because Nielsen's research is limited to those who agree to be a Nielsen family. Those who decline aren't included. But what's the alternative? You say "give everyone boxes." I don't think that option is feasible with more than 111 million TV households (http://www.nielsenmedia.com/nc/portal/site/Public/menuitem.55dc65b4a7d5adff3f65936147a062a0/?vgnextoid=6573d3b8b0c3d010VgnVCM100000ac0a260aRCRD) in the US. What if some people view this as an invasion of privacy and decline? Then, that method is flawed.

Considering the importance of Nielsen's research, I'm sure their methodologies are highly scrutinized. If people believe their research isn't representative of current viewing habits, changes will be made, as evidenced by the inclusion of DVRs. Now, there will be ratings for commercials (http://www.nielsenmedia.com/nc/portal/site/Public/menuitem.55dc65b4a7d5adff3f65936147a062a0/?allRmCB=on&newSearch=yes&vgnextoid=264b66f7e2c20110VgnVCM100000ac0a260aRCRD&searchBox=media). If the sample size isn't large enough, then that will be changed. Will their current methodology present 100% accurate numbers? No. But the same could be said of any method. It's in Nielsen's best interest to provide the best possible research. As long as the their clients agree, Nielsen's methods are "right."

Where is your Source? By next fall, 2008. There will be 3 seasons available to Sci-fi. Why would they not want to utilize the reairs?

Source for what? The episodes? Wikipedia. The MGM part? Common sense. SciFi only caring about first runs? Speculation based upon the network's actions.

If SciFi is so interested in re-airing SGA, the why aren't they re-airing SGA now? According to their schedule, SGA will have a season one marathon on 8/31 and 9/28. That's it. Unlike previous seasons, there won't be marathon of the previous season leading up to the new season. They could find some place in the schedule for S3 Atlantis, but they haven't. Why not stick S3 in a time slot similar to what BSG has now? Looks like the next time S3 will appear on any TV screen will be in US syndication. When SG1's Monday night block was winding down, Atlantis was supposed to take that spot for a month. It was pulled after a week. All this leads me to believe that Atlantis' reruns don't perform well and with the current lack of reruns; SciFi is only concerned about first runs.

Briangate78
August 9th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Source for what? The episodes? Wikipedia. The MGM part? Common sense. SciFi only caring about first runs? Speculation based upon the network's actions.

If SciFi is so interested in re-airing SGA, the why aren't they re-airing SGA now? According to their schedule, SGA will have a season one marathon on 8/31 and 9/28. That's it. Unlike previous seasons, there won't be marathon of the previous season leading up to the new season. They could find some place in the schedule for S3 Atlantis, but they haven't. Why not stick S3 in a time slot similar to what BSG has now? Looks like the next time S3 will appear on any TV screen will be in US syndication. When SG1's Monday night block was winding down, Atlantis was supposed to take that spot for a month. It was pulled after a week. All this leads me to believe that Atlantis' reruns don't perform well and with the current lack of reruns; SciFi is only concerned about first runs.

Have you ever thought that they are waiting for more eps to air before they reair them in a slot? I mean to rerun 20 eps would not make sense, they still do the Season one marathons on a monthly basis, which means they still do well for them to reair the marathons. I can tell you this, if we get a 5th season pick-up, by Fall 2008, there will be 3 seasons of SGA reairing on Sci-fi, which will make more sense to rerun them. Right now there are not enough eps.

I asked you to provide a source to who said from Sci-fi that they are only interested in first runs, that is your opinion. Why would they purchase Enterprise if they were only concerned with first runs?

BTW, what are you talking about SGA replacing the SG-1 monday slot? There is clearly not enough eps to carry that 5 episode block.

gange57
August 9th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Have you ever thought that they are waiting for more eps to air before they reair them in a slot? I mean to rerun 20 eps would not make sense, they still do the Season one marathons on a monthly basis, which means they still do well for them to reair the marathons. I can tell you this, if we get a 5th season pick-up, by Fall 2008, there will be 3 seasons of SGA reairing on Sci-fi, which will make more sense to rerun them. Right now there are not enough eps.

I could easily turn this around and ask you how do you know that's what the SFC intends to do? Maybe, the SFC didn't buy the rights to S2 reruns. We will have to wait and see.

I asked you to provide a source to who said from Sci-fi that they are only interested in first runs, that is your opinion. Why would they purchase Enterprise if they were only concerned with first runs?

First off, I never said that anyone from the SFC said that. My response to you questioning my source should have clarified that for you, particularly the last sentence. Secondly, Enterprise isn't in its first run? Damn. Next thing you'll tell me is that the SG1 episodes at 6PM EST aren't first run.

BTW, what are you talking about SGA replacing the SG-1 monday slot? There is clearly not enough eps to carry that 5 episode block.

Well, there is this thread (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=28315). Here are SciFi's schedules for May 8, 2006 (http://www.scifi.com/schedulebot/index.php3?date=8-may-2006&feed_req=) and the following week (http://www.scifi.com/schedulebot/index.php3?date=15-may-2006&feed_req=).

Briangate78
August 9th, 2007, 11:22 AM
WTF are you talking about??? Enterprise are reairs, So is SG-1 6pm. I think we have a different idea of what a first run is. Please explain it better to me.

Anyway, this discussion is over, and it will go nowhere. good day to you.

gateman2007
August 9th, 2007, 11:27 AM
I'm pretty sure that Stargate will never die. It simply has too wide an audience for total cancellation. It is impossible to predict how long Atlantis will last, but I personally think that it will last for at least a couple more seasons. It seems that some people are fine with watching only one Stargate show (as seen from SG-1 fans watching SGA now), so it will likely depend on the ratings of SGU.

Briangate78
August 9th, 2007, 11:29 AM
I'm pretty sure that Stargate will never die. It simply has too wide an audience for total cancellation. It is impossible to predict how long Atlantis will last, but I personally think that it will last for at least a couple more seasons.

Yeah I agree. for the season finale to pull in near 2 million viewers, it has to stick around. I think we will know better when Season 4 Starts. :)

Briangate78
August 12th, 2007, 07:55 PM
So Flash got bad feedback from fans. It's getting ugly. Is this good or bad for SGA?

Falcon Horus
August 13th, 2007, 02:37 AM
So Flash got bad feedback from fans. It's getting ugly. Is this good or bad for SGA?

I wouldn't call it good. After all, not many people switch back once they have flicked to another channel or turned to the TV off. I think so at least.

Briangate78
August 13th, 2007, 05:27 AM
I wouldn't call it good. After all, not many people switch back once they have flicked to another channel or turned to the TV off. I think so at least.

The gates did not have a lead in for quite sometime, so I don't think it will effect SGA. SGA has it's own fan base. I've talked to dozens of people. A lot of SG-1 fans will be moving onto Atlantis, since it's the next best thing. Of course these fans have not consistanly watched SGA, now they most likely will. That 1.7 the SG-1 finale got will reflect how SGA will do. Anyway those are just my thoughts. Remember a lot of people saw the SG-1 and SGA finale back in Jan. There was too much availability on-line for these eps. This is what happens when you have a long hiatus.

Should be interesting how the 10pm slot does. they usually put their best shows in the 10pm slot. So let's cross our fingers for a great Season 4! :)

SGFerrit
August 13th, 2007, 05:28 AM
From what I have seen, Sci Fi is doing ALOT more advertising than usual, scattering clips all over the channel, on all different kinds of shows, and this has been going on since a month before it airs. I think this shows they want Atlantis to do well (especially now that they don't have SG-1 and won't have BSG much longer) and as such want a season 5.

(I live in the UK, so is this 'increased advertising' argument correct?)

Briangate78
August 13th, 2007, 05:40 AM
From what I have seen, Sci Fi is doing ALOT more advertising than usual, scattering clips all over the channel, on all different kinds of shows, and this has been going on since a month before it airs. I think this shows they want Atlantis to do well (especially now that they don't have SG-1 and won't have BSG much longer) and as such want a season 5.

(I live in the UK, so is this 'increased advertising' argument correct?)

Hopefully we get the advertisment like the other shows get. But I have to agree, they have been advertising a lot more. Also, Sci-fi is only paying for one show. So that cut costs for them more than half, I am pretty sure SG-1 was more expensive than SGA. I have to get some info on that, not hundred percent.

the dancer of spaz
August 13th, 2007, 08:05 AM
What would really be ironic is if fewer people tuned in to the weak lead-in (with the less challenging timeslot), Flash Gordon, but came in at 10 to watch Atlantis.

Briangate78
August 13th, 2007, 08:25 AM
What would really be ironic is if fewer people turned in to the weak lead-in (with the less challenging timeslot), Flash Gordon, but came in at 10 to watch Atlantis.

I'm still awaiting how the FG premiere did. Normally it's very high for any show premiere and depending how people liked it depends on how it will fair later on of course. From what I read, did not get good reviews from critics or fans.

Briangate78
August 14th, 2007, 06:17 AM
FG got a 1.5, I'm not sure if that's good or bad for SGA, which also got a 1.5 for its finale and with less advertisment.

I think none of us can really say what the fate of SGA will be until we see the numbers for the first couple eps of S4. The 2nd half of Season 3 should not be the only deciding factor. Still, that 1.5 for the finale will leave a good taste in Sci-fi's mouth.

suse
August 14th, 2007, 06:38 AM
FG got a 1.5, I'm not sure if that's good or bad for SGA, which also got a 1.5 for its finale and with less advertisment.

I think none of us can really say what the fate of SGA will be until we see the numbers for the first couple eps of S4. The 2nd half of Season 3 should not be the only deciding factor. Still, that 1.5 for the finale will leave a good taste in Sci-fi's mouth.

Well, I'm not sure if the FG stuff is good news then. Certainly a stronger lead-in could help. But people know SciFi has crap shows all the time. And tune in for what they want. Sooo...

I'd love for there to be a S5 as long as the stories are there. It would be pretty sad for them to have (hopefully) finally hit their stride and then get canceled.

I'll be watching. At least the ones that Skiffy will take into account for renewal. Because those are the ones that I'm also taking into account for *my* renewal ;) :) of the rest of the season.

suse

Briangate78
August 15th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Well PKJ has just been cancelled, that show was averaging horrible ratings!

That 1.4 Season 3 average is looking better and better. :p

Falcon Horus
August 15th, 2007, 07:20 AM

What were its average ratings? Cause I just told someone in the Anti-season 4 thread that I thought PKJ came in lower than SGA.

Briangate78
August 15th, 2007, 07:46 AM
What were its average ratings? Cause I just told someone in the Anti-season 4 thread that I thought PKJ came in lower than SGA.

Hey Falcon Horus, I saw you posting on Sci-fi, I am squall78 there. :p

As per your question. PKJ, not only got lower ratings than SGA but the show only made it into the top 10 shows for 2 weeks, the SG-1/SGA mid-season premiere, and the SG-1/SGA finales.

The best it did was it's premiere with a 1.3, the last highest rank it saw after that was a 1.0 for the finales of the gates, between and after that it has been averaging like a .6 or .7 . This is a pretty close estimate, if you give me some time, I can get the exact numbers.

Falcon Horus
August 15th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Hey Falcon Horus, I saw you posting on Sci-fi, I am squall78 there. :p

Yup, I thought you were. :D

The best it did was it's premiere with a 1.3, the last highest rank it saw after that was a 1.0 for the finales of the gates, between and after that it has been averaging like a .6 or .7 . This is a pretty close estimate, if you give me some time, I can get the exact numbers.

No, that's not necessary. I was just curious how far it sat beneath SGA/SG1. Pretty far down as it seems.

Briangate78
August 16th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Well the chances of a season 5 just went up! PKJ has been added to the doom list of shows. Also, SGA will likely have no haitus in the middle of the season according to Darren's new article. This is good for two reasons. One will be ratings should stay on pace since there is no long hiatus. A no hiatus mid-season means there will likely be another season which would air about 6 months from the end of the 4th season. Which would put Season 5 right after BSG ends.

Makes Sense?

Falcon Horus
August 16th, 2007, 07:18 AM
I thought it said the first half would end on Dec 7th... Wouldn't there be a hiatus then? Holiday-break like the UK does?

Ruffles
August 16th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Most shows in the US have a big December break. I don't usually think of that as a hiatus - just a holiday break (sweeps end in November and there is usually NOTHING on until mid-January).

Falcon Horus
August 16th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Ah okay... right.

vaberella
August 16th, 2007, 07:28 AM

That 1.4 Season 3 average is looking better and better. :p

Praise be, that some certainties can be depended on in an uncertain world. I don't know why they even bothered [PKJ] when one of the eps showed at .7 <---What is that?

Most shows in the US have a big December break. I don't usually think of that as a hiatus - just a holiday break (sweeps end in November and there is usually NOTHING on until mid-January).

Yup, yup. And the fanatics, such as myself, make due with reruns and if we can't watch that we go online. Thank you ABC for having Ugly Betty and Dancing with the Stars online. <---Once they do that to my soaps, they will be god-like, you know sometimes Soapnet just doesn't hit that spot [I can't lay in bed and enjoy it, I have to sit on a chair. Who wants to sit when you have soaps on?!]. Down with Erica Kane!!!!

Briangate78
August 16th, 2007, 08:13 AM

Ah okay... right.

Yeah what Ruffles said. A holiday break is different than a Hiatus. SGA would finish it's first half on Dec 7th, and would pick up say Jan 11th or Jan 18th. This is def a lot better than the 7 month hiatus for the middle of season 3 which killed ratings.

Now if they make us wait 6 months for a new season, that's ok, since no one is getting the season before the U.S.!

Falcon Horus
August 16th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Now if they make us wait 6 months for a new season, that's ok, since no one is getting the season before the U.S.!

No, since the UK will pretty much go together with the US. And the rest of us are somewhere between season 1, 2 and 3 or no Atlantis at all at that moment. Still playing catch-up.

Briangate78
August 16th, 2007, 08:44 AM
No, since the UK will pretty much go together with the US. And the rest of us are somewhere between season 1, 2 and 3 or no Atlantis at all at that moment. Still playing catch-up.

Well I know Season 4 is world premiering on Sci-fi on Sept 28th. It's good if there is no hiatus midway through the season.

SGFerrit
August 16th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Imagine season 5. It will likely turn out to be just as good as, if not better than season 4... There isn't a single episode I am not psyched about in s4... A season 5 would be amazing:)

ToasterOnFire
August 16th, 2007, 08:57 AM
I'm not convinced that SGA will be back in January. BSG is starting up its s4 then, and for some reason I can't see skiffy running both of those shows together, even if they are on different days.

I'm guessing:
SGA: September to December
BSG: January to whatever for 10 episodes, midseason break
SGA: Back to finish s4.5
BSG: Back to finish s4.5 (likely at the end of 2008, if not later)

Not that this has anything to do with the likelihood of s5, really. I imagine skiffy has already made a preliminary decision based on s3.5 ratings and may wait to verify their decision with early s4 ratings. It's like SG1 - I'm sure that skiffy (and TPTB) knew the fate of that show well before the 200th party.

I'm not convinced that the cancellation of PKJ will affect skiffy's decision regarding SGA either. Low ratings are low ratings, and SGA isn't sitting pretty when the network can slap on some cheaper reruns to get the same or better return. If SGA gets worse in the ratings next season, don't expect the loss of BSG or PKJ to save it.

Briangate78
August 16th, 2007, 09:08 AM
I'm not convinced that SGA will be back in January. BSG is starting up its s4 then, and for some reason I can't see skiffy running both of those shows together, even if they are on different days.

I'm guessing:

Not that this has anything to do with the likelihood of s5, really. I imagine skiffy has already made a preliminary decision based on s3.5 ratings and may wait to verify their decision with early s4 ratings. It's like SG1 - I'm sure that skiffy (and TPTB) knew the fate of that show well before the 200th party.

I'm not convinced that the cancellation of PKJ will affect skiffy's decision regarding SGA either. Low ratings are low ratings, and SGA isn't sitting pretty when the network can slap on some cheaper reruns to get the same or better return. If SGA gets worse in the ratings next season, don't expect the loss of BSG or PKJ to save it.

Well it's too early to make a decision. They will likely see how Season 4 does, which I think it will do well. But that 1.5 for the finale will leave a good taste in their mouth. Remember, the Flash Gordon premiere got a 1.5 also. Yet, Sci-fi is calling Flash Gordon a hit.

Also remember Season 3 began with a 1.5, took a mid-season break with a 1.6, started back up with a 1.4, and ended the season finally with a 1.5! Those are consistant ratings, and they made their decision for a 4th season after a few eps of S3.

Listen, I know you are trying to post the facts and feel the show will end. But I am going to stay postive and use common sense and say S5 will happen.

the dancer of spaz
August 16th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Listen, I know you are trying to post the facts and feel the show will end. But I am going to stay postive and use common sense and say S5 will happen.

At this point, with how fickle the network has been in many instances, staying positive doesn't necessarily mean you're employing "common sense". :) We're all just speculating here; no one knows for sure.

Like Toaster, I think SciFi probably already has an idea about what they're going to do with Atlantis, just like they most likely already knew about SG-1 before August of last year - if not much, much earlier than that. In my mind, that doesn't necessarily mean they're automatically going to cancel it, though. It could be just the opposite.

Briangate78
August 16th, 2007, 09:17 AM
At this point, with how fickle the network has been in many instances, staying positive doesn't necessarily mean you're employing "common sense". :) We're all just speculating here; no one knows for sure.

Like Toaster, I think SciFi probably already has an idea about what they're going to do with Atlantis, just like they most likely already knew about SG-1 before August of last year - if not much, much earlier than that. In my mind, that doesn't necessarily mean they're automatically going to cancel it, though. It could be just the opposite.

One good sign is the season is going to end on a cliffhanger, and Joe M never said potential Series finale.

ToasterOnFire
August 16th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Also remember Season 3 began with a 1.5, took a mid-season break with a 1.6, started back up with a 1.4, and ended the season finally with a 1.5! Those are consistant ratings, and they made their decision for a 4th season after a few eps of S3.
Except you keep on using the ratings for the season premieres and finales. Those numbers are almost always inflated with any show, especially the 3.5 finale which was pared with the series finale of SG1. Fans came out of the woodwork to watch the last episode of SG1, which also likely helped the finale of SGA.

You're giving ratings for only 2 episodes out of the last 10 while ignoring the ratings for the other 8 episodes. Those ratings averaged much lower than the second half premiere and finale. Sure s3.5 started with a 1.4 and ended with a 1.5, but the 8 episodes in the middle averaged a 1.17, ranging from 1.3 to 1.1. Skiffy will undoubtedly pay more attention to the ratings of "everyday" episodes more than "event" episodes such as finales and premieres.

Mitchell82
August 16th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Except you keep on using the ratings for the season premieres and finales. Those numbers are almost always inflated with any show, especially the 3.5 finale which was pared with the series finale of SG1. Fans came out of the woodwork to watch the last episode of SG1, which also likely helped the finale of SGA.

You're giving ratings for only 2 episodes out of the last 10 while ignoring the ratings for the other 8 episodes. Those ratings averaged much lower than the second half premiere and finale. Sure s3.5 started with a 1.4 and ended with a 1.5, but the 8 episodes in the middle averaged a 1.17, ranging from 1.3 to 1.1. Skiffy will undoubtedly pay more attention to the ratings of "everyday" episodes more than "event" episodes such as finales and premieres.

Except that skiffy isn't calling it a disapointment. They are still conisdering it as one of their top shows and as long as they are I don't think we need to worry.

Mitchell82
August 16th, 2007, 09:56 AM

I'm guessing:

I must disagree here. Skiffy wants to air year round programming which is why they delayed the second half of season 3. I bet it will restart around Janurary. BSG and PKJ have both had terrible ratings far worse than SGA and I seriously doubt that Skiffy considers the rattings terrible. They ahve been lower but nowhere near how low BSG and PKJ were. I truly don't think we need to worry.

the dancer of spaz
August 16th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Except that skiffy isn't calling it a disapointment. They are still conisdering it as one of their top shows and as long as they are I don't think we need to worry.

What SciFi says about the show publicly and how they feel about the show could be two different things. If they're not feeling the show anymore, and are simply buying time, they're not going to advertise that mentality. No network in their right mind would.

Mitchell82
August 16th, 2007, 10:02 AM
What SciFi says about the show publicly and how they feel about the show could be two different things. If they're not feeling the show anymore, and are simply buying time, they're not going to advertise that mentality. No network in their right mind would.

True. While I trust scifi as far as I could throw them I don't think they would cancel it because FG and SGA are going to be their only top shows. The ratings were low but not low enough to can it or they would have already. This may just be exagerated optimisim but the ratings were down for several reasons but while it would have been canned on another newtwork I think the ratings are steady enough and reamain steady enough to keep it on the air.

ToasterOnFire
August 16th, 2007, 10:26 AM
BSG and PKJ have both had terrible ratings far worse than SGA and I seriously doubt that Skiffy considers the rattings terrible. They ahve been lower but nowhere near how low BSG and PKJ were. I truly don't think we need to worry.
(Because I'm in a number-crunching mood :P)

Your statement is partially incorrect. In the end, BSG and SGA averaged almost the same ratings for their s3.5s, earning 1.24 and 1.27, respectively. BSG did not do any worse than SGA. PKJ, however, is another story. ;)

Also, look at what you're comparing SGA to:
-BSG: canceled after s4, similiar ratings as SGA PLUS it brings in more money for skiffy than SGA.
-PKJ: canceled after s1.

That's worrisome. :S

Mitchell82
August 16th, 2007, 10:29 AM

Your statement is partially incorrect. In the end, BSG and SGA averaged almost the same ratings for their s3.5s, earning 1.24 and 1.27, respectively. BSG did not do any worse than SGA. PKJ, however, is another story. ;)

-BSG: canceled after s4, similiar ratings as SGA PLUS it brings in more money for skiffy than SGA.

When you put it like that it is. I just hope my optimisim pays off and it isn't canned. However I can atleast find comfort in if it is at least they will find a way to give us closure.

Briangate78
August 16th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Yes, but remember long hiatus hurt the ratings. We have an opportunity to have better ratings with a fresh new season.

Again the second half averaged almost(don't want gange on my case) a 1.3! A 1.2 to 1.3 puts it a couple of point behind the leader which at the the time was ECW and some of the movies. SGA for most of those weeks fell into the top 5! Yes Top 5, in fact sometimes Top 3! The cost of production is down since Sci-fi is only paying for one show. Again, I do not think season 3.5 should be the final deciding factor. Let's see how S4 does in the first couple of eps, if the premiere is like a 1.5 to 1.7 and it falls back to like a 1.3 to 1.4. It might be enough to get a 5th season.

Yup, that's what I am saying.

SGFerrit
August 16th, 2007, 10:53 AM

BSG wasn't cancelled by the network though. If anything, they will want Atlantis to stay as they won't have their beloved BSG anymore, and Atlantis averaged slightly better ratings.

Briangate78
August 16th, 2007, 10:57 AM

SGA did better than BSG last season. BSG had more 1.1's I believe than SGA and it never got above a 1.4 for the 2nd half. Finale was a 1.2 while the SGA mid-season premiere and finale did better.

BTW, BSG was not cancelled, producers wanted to end it themselves. Ron Moore signed a 2 year deal with Universal for other work, so this was most likely all planned.

SGFerrit
August 16th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Let's see how S4 does in the first couple of eps, if the premiere is like a 1.5 to 1.7 and it falls back to like a 1.3 to 1.4. It might be enough to get a 5th season.

Joe Mallozzi has said that Adrift is 'the best season premiere ever.

If that is true, and it does average a 1.5 to a 1.7, then I am hopeful it will maintain a similar rating for Lifeline (i.e part 3)

Briangate78
August 16th, 2007, 11:01 AM
BSG wasn't cancelled by the network though. If anything, they will want Atlantis to stay as they won't have their beloved BSG anymore, and Atlantis averaged slightly better ratings.

Yes, and even with the 7 month long hiatus. I know a lot of people who said screw Sci-fi going to download the ep ,since the entire season had aired already in other regions.

Again, the deciding factor will hopefully be season 4. Costs are down, and I think MGM wants to get a 5th season so they may Negotiate.

When the VP says he does not see Sci-fi without SG in the near future, it has to be a good sign. i know he was not talking about reruns.

Briangate78
August 16th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Joe Mallozzi has said that Adrift is 'the best season premiere ever.

If that is true, and it does average a 1.5 to a 1.7, then I am hopeful it will maintain a similar rating for Lifeline (i.e part 3)

Hey, I respect Toaster on Fire's opinion, hopefully they see where I am coming from. I take numbers of the overall network. Shows are down, even Eureka is not seeing the numbers like last season. ECW is falling down to a 1.2 and 1.3! When a show finale can still attract 2 million viewers, that has to show for something! PKJ i don't even think hit a million viewers.

BTW, I did read that, I think it's going to blow everyone away. SGA needs it now. They need to shine and keep the fan base happy.

ToasterOnFire
August 16th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Hey, I just like numbers and trends. :) ;) I'm not hoping for SGA to fail, but I do see some similarities between SGA and BSG and between SGA and SG1 that give me cause for concern.

All my discussion may be moot after Sept. Or it may be right on. Who knows?

Regarding BSG: It's end wasn't cancellation in the strict sense, but I kinda view it as such. RDM went to skiffy asking for two more seasons (s4 and s5) in advance to finish up the series. Skiffy apparently balked at the s5, so RDM decided to end the series after s4. IMO, skiffy would not have given RDM a s5 even if he did s4 and took a "wait and see" approach to s5, considering BSG's decreasing ratings. So I see it as RDM ending the series before skiffy had a chance to cancel it. He wanted to go another 2 seasons, didn't get the go-ahead, and "canceled" BSG himself.

Briangate78
August 16th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Hey, I just like numbers and trends. :) ;) I'm not hoping for SGA to fail, but I do see some similarities between SGA and BSG and between SGA and SG1 that give me cause for concern.

All my discussion may be moot after Sept. Or it may be right on. Who knows?

Regarding BSG: It's end wasn't cancellation in the strict sense, but I kinda view it as such. RDM went to skiffy asking for two more seasons (s4 and s5) in advance to finish up the series. Skiffy apparently balked at the s5, so RDM decided to end the series after s4. IMO, skiffy would not have given RDM a s5 even if he did s4 and took a "wait and see" approach to s5, considering BSG's decreasing ratings. So I see it as RDM ending the series before skiffy had a chance to cancel it. He wanted to go another 2 seasons, didn't get the go-ahead, and "canceled" BSG himself.

LOL, its all good TOF! No offense to you, but I want you to be wrong. :P

Anyway here is my claim, I feel SGA got hosed because of the long hiatus, it was pulling 1.5's and 1.6's kinda like Eureka is doing now, problem is, that was the first half. Now I look at the 1.4 and 1.5 for the mid-season and finale as good numbers, especially the finale. Yeah it's only two eps, but it shows the potential viewers for the network.

That is why I am hoping Sci-fi will see the S4 premiere numbers, I think they will be high, if they are low, then perhaps S4 will be the last. I want to see the results of a new fresh season. About 2 Million viewers tuned in for the finale.

The network will have lost 4 shows by 2008, Two of those shows are big franchises, BSG and SG-1. Who knows how well Flash is going to hold up. It's premiere got a 1.5 and Sci-fi is like praising it. Um well hello SGA's finale got a 1.5 and the other eps were only a few points off from that. 1.2 and 1.5 is not a big difference.

wm_1987
August 16th, 2007, 03:14 PM
I think it's a good possibility to have a fifth season of Atlantis. But I'm not going to get my hopes up, just in case.

Briangate78
August 19th, 2007, 08:19 PM
This is why the network needs Stargate and there should be a Season 5...

Eureka 1.6
ECW 1.3
Ghost Hunters 1.0
Fire in the Sky 0.8
Alone in the Dark 0.8
Star Trek Enterprise 0.8
Doctor Who 0.7
Vampires Los Muertos 0.7
Beast of Bray Road 0.7
Way of the Vampire 0.7

Source: Nielsen Galaxy Report, 7/30/07 -- 8/5/07

firefly30
August 20th, 2007, 06:57 AM
The network will have lost 4 shows by 2008, Two of those shows are big franchises, BSG and SG-1. Who knows how well Flash is going to hold up. It's premiere got a 1.5 and Sci-fi is like praising it. Um well hello SGA's finale got a 1.5 and the other eps were only a few points off from that. 1.2 and 1.5 is not a big difference.

That is a pretty compelling reason for there to be a season 5. :) I believe there will be a season 5 because I cannot imagine that the ratings will drop the way they would have to drop for SciFi to get rid of the show. But I would
not be surprised if what happened to BSG happens to SGA, with SciFi not being sure and the PTB at SGA deciding to end the show themselves. Hopefully in about 10 years' time. :)

Oka
August 20th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Who knows if we'll see another season. I think we should stop complaining about the Sci Fi channel and really look at the responsibility we, the fans have. Frankly I am sick of all the negativity I've seen on these boards. Anti that, Pro that. I don't think the Stargate fan base has ever been this divided.

This is not good for the show, or for the community. I personally am not fond of some of the changes but I will continue supporting Stargate, because I love the Stargate universe and I want to see more seasons of SGA and I definitely want another show (Stargate: Galaxy?).

There has to be criticism and we have to let the writers what we think is right or wrong but the whining has been taken to a completely new level. Atlantis is all the Stargate we have left and I don't like to see that people who aren't supporting it are still posting on these boards (Anti S4 threads?).

Hopefully fans will become more supportive once the fourth season has started airing and people will realize how much better SGA is than the average show.

Anyway, buy the DVDs, watch the show when it airs. Support the show in any way you can.

Falcon Horus
August 20th, 2007, 10:19 AM
...I don't like to see that people who aren't supporting it are still posting on these boards (Anti S4 threads?).

I need to set something straight here. Yes, there are those that won't be watching season 4 and post in the anti-season 4 thread, which is their every right. But there are also people, like me, who post in the anti-thread because we have a problem with a few things of the show, which is also our every right.

ToasterOnFire
August 20th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Online fandom has minimal impact on whether or not a show gets renewed. It makes no difference if the fandom is divided or united. The only people that matter are the ones with the boxes, and I'll wager that most of the blessed boxed ones who watch SGA rarely to never interact with internet fandom.

Besides, are people that easily swayed? Are people going to be turned off of a show they like because of what they read online from anonymous posters? I highly doubt it.

I'm not going to hold back my concerns or complaints out of an unsubstantiated fear that saying negative things online will get the show canceled. It just ain't true.

Briangate78
August 20th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Online fandom has minimal impact on whether or not a show gets renewed. It makes no difference if the fandom is divided or united. The only people that matter are the ones with the boxes, and I'll wager that most of the blessed boxed ones who watch SGA rarely to never interact with internet fandom.

Besides, are people that easily swayed? Are people going to be turned off of a show they like because of what they read online from anonymous posters? I highly doubt it.

I'm not going to hold back my concerns or complaints out of an unsubstantiated fear that saying negative things online will get the show canceled. It just ain't true.

Oh yeah, the internet community only accounts for a fraction of the total viewers/fans. Only a fraction of those fans even count toward the ratings. I think the reason why the SCB campaign was so successful was because they got themselves on TV.

Mitchell82
August 20th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Yes, and even with the 7 month long hiatus. I know a lot of people who said screw Sci-fi going to download the ep ,since the entire season had aired already in other regions.
*looks around for mods then raises hand and quickly takes it away.* Yeah I'm one of them. I was very pissed.

Again, the deciding factor will hopefully be season 4. Costs are down, and I think MGM wants to get a 5th season so they may Negotiate.

When the VP says he does not see Sci-fi without SG in the near future, it has to be a good sign. i know he was not talking about reruns.
Agreed.

Dan-the-Wraith
August 21st, 2007, 01:09 AM
I remember seeing an interview on youtube in which one of the shows creators said they need 100,000 extra viewers to bring in season 5...

I feel pretty powerless in this whole situation, due to the fact I come from the UK, im buying the box-sets though, in a hope that will make a difference. (it worked for Family Guy)

In what i can gather from people's post's it would be stupid for Sci Fi to cancel a show with a very solid fan base... and they probably realise angry fans would refuse to watch the channel any more, i know i would if i lived in the US.:mad:

Captain Chaap
August 21st, 2007, 02:50 AM
I hope there will be a season 5, and just because they don't get that good ratings on tv doesn't mean that the show's any less popular. Since Virgin Media canceled Sky One in the UK I haven't been able to watch Stargate Atlantis on TV, neither have my friends. But that doesnt mean we like the show any less, we just watch the episodes as the DVDs come out.

Briangate78
August 21st, 2007, 05:36 AM
Ok hear me out a second...

When a regular season show finale gets the same ratings as a brand new show premiere "that has been advertised so much we hear it in our sleep" why is there any doubt to not renew it for more seasons? :S

Falcon Horus
August 21st, 2007, 05:42 AM
When a regular season show finale gets the same ratings as a brand new show premiere "that has been advertised so much we hear it in our sleep" why is there any doubt to not renew it for more seasons? :S

Good point. :mckayanime09:

Linzi
August 21st, 2007, 07:30 AM

There's doubt from me because SGA may cost a lot more than other new shows on SciFi, and isn't owned by SciFi, but MGM. Therefore SciFi aren't, perhaps, as invested in SGA as they are their own shows, because they don't make money out of it.

I really want there to be a season 5, and if the new season is as good as I hope it's going to be, I'd be even more disappointed if SGA's not renewed. I really think it depends on how attached to SGA SciFi are, and how much MGM needs from SciFi to make SGA a viable business venture. Oh yes, the viewing figures from the beginning of season 4 might have some effect too, :lol:

prion
August 21st, 2007, 08:19 AM
I remember seeing an interview on youtube in which one of the shows creators said they need 100,000 extra viewers to bring in season 5...

I feel pretty powerless in this whole situation, due to the fact I come from the UK, im buying the box-sets though, in a hope that will make a difference. (it worked for Family Guy)

In what i can gather from people's post's it would be stupid for Sci Fi to cancel a show with a very solid fan base... and they probably realise angry fans would refuse to watch the channel any more, i know i would if i lived in the US.:mad:

If I recall correctly, the interview was with Joe Mallozzi (producer/writer, but not creator) who faceticiously said to tell 100,000 of your friends to watch. It's viewership, not fans, that will keep the show afloat. Those wretched Neilsen numbers which in turn mean the ads are reaching a wide audience.

Mitchell82
August 21st, 2007, 12:01 PM
There's doubt from me because SGA may cost a lot more than other new shows on SciFi, and isn't owned by SciFi, but MGM. Therefore SciFi aren't, perhaps, as invested in SGA as they are their own shows, because they don't make money out of it.

I really want there to be a season 5, and if the new season is as good as I hope it's going to be, I'd be even more disappointed if SGA's not renewed. I really think it depends on how attached to SGA SciFi are, and how much MGM needs from SciFi to make SGA a viable business venture. Oh yes, the viewing figures from the begging of season 4 might have some effect too, :lol:

However MGM strongly supports and fights for the gates as evidence by the SG-1 movies which means MGM will continue the gates anyway they can.

Mitchell82
August 21st, 2007, 12:02 PM

Excellent point.

Briangate78
August 21st, 2007, 12:42 PM

I really want there to be a season 5, and if the new season is as good as I hope it's going to be, I'd be even more disappointed if SGA's not renewed. I really think it depends on how attached to SGA SciFi are, and how much MGM needs from SciFi to make SGA a viable business venture. Oh yes, the viewing figures from the begging of season 4 might have some effect too, :lol:

Sci-fi is funny. I think they will want more seasons of SGA to air, so that they can start making money on the reairs. As you know season 2 should return back to Sci-fi in the fall. So that would be 2 seasons of reairs.

However MGM strongly supports and fights for the gates as evidence by the SG-1 movies which means MGM will continue the gates anyway they can.

I think MGM will negotiate with Sci-fi to get a 5th season which is still less costly than SG-1 was. Plus, Sci-fi is only paying for one show now not two. MGM sees how well the DVD sales do so I think they are willing to negotiate to get that 5th season. Just some facts for you, the SG-1 Season 10 DVD was the # 5 DVD on Billboard's Top DVD sales and # 1 for Top TV DVD sales last week. As you know to hit the top Billboard charts, it's huge.

I think it also depends how the first couple of Season 4 eps do. But from what I have seen for season 3, it should be good enough for a 5th. They averaged a 1.4 overall and closed the season with a 1.5! The network has been averaging a 0.9 for the past month or so with it's top 10 shows. The network needs Stargate and if they let it go, it will result in disaster. Flash Gordon is not being received well by fans, PKJ is gone, Dresden is gone, and SG-1 is gone, and BSG will be done next year.

Mitchell82
August 21st, 2007, 07:27 PM
Sci-fi is funny. I think they will want more seasons of SGA to air, so that they can start making money on the reairs. As you know season 2 should return back to Sci-fi in the fall. So that would be 2 seasons of reairs.

I think MGM will negotiate with Sci-fi to get a 5th season which is still less costly than SG-1 was. Plus, Sci-fi is only paying for one show now not two. MGM sees how well the DVD sales do so I think they are willing to negotiate to get that 5th season. Just some facts for you, the SG-1 Season 10 DVD was the # 5 DVD on Billboard's Top DVD sales and # 1 for Top TV DVD sales last week. As you know to hit the top Billboard charts, it's huge.

I think it also depends how the first couple of Season 4 eps do. But from what I have seen for season 3, it should be good enough for a 5th. They averaged a 1.4 overall and closed the season with a 1.5! The network has been averaging a 0.9 for the past month or so with it's top 10 shows. The network needs Stargate and if they let it go, it will result in disaster. Flash Gordon is not being received well by fans, PKJ is gone, Dresden is gone, and SG-1 is gone, and BSG will be done next year.
Exactly, without SGA all you have is ECW *shutters*

ToasterOnFire
August 21st, 2007, 07:43 PM
Oh yeah, the internet community only accounts for a fraction of the total viewers/fans. Only a fraction of those fans even count toward the ratings. I think the reason why the SCB campaign was so successful was because they got themselves on TV.
That might be true. It's really difficult to determine exactly how much influence fan campaigns have. The SDJ campaign may have been very influential, been the little nudge that sent things in that direction, or had no influence in bringing MS back. Likewise, the SCB campaign may have had a hand in bringing back Beckett or maybe it was TPTB's plan all along. The only ones that know for sure are TPTB and the actors involved, and I know they would never shoot themselves in the foot and say "those campaigns were pointless - we were planning this all along."

Ruined_puzzle
August 21st, 2007, 08:23 PM
Exactly, without SGA all you have is ECW *shutters*

Your forgetting Eureka, which is made of awesome.

Mitchell82
August 21st, 2007, 08:34 PM
Your forgetting Eureka, which is made of awesome.

Ooops for some reason I thought it was axed too.

the dancer of spaz
August 21st, 2007, 10:52 PM
Ooops for some reason I thought it was axed too.

Haha, Eureka seems to be the only consistent thing keeping SciFi afloat these days. :jack:

Linzi
August 21st, 2007, 11:05 PM

Oh, I agree. I think the least we'll get is an Atlantis dvd movie if there's not a season 5 pick-up. In fact, JM has hinted that fans won't be left hanging indefinitely. He said that on his blog.

I'm not sure they make money on the re-airing of episodes per se, they're just utilising resources they already have. My impression was, from viewing figures I've seen, that SciFi hasn't had great viewing figures for re-airs of SGA episodes on the whole. For SGA to be renewed for a season 5 the viewing figures for the beginning of season 4 have to be good, we've been told that by JM. Who knows exactly how good, 1.5+ maybe? But my feeling is that things are in the balance at the moment, and that the first few episode's viewing figures will be the deciding factor.

I do think it's a good point that SGA is cheaper than SG1 was to make. That was really the deciding factor in SG1 getting axed, I think. The figures just didn't add up, because SciFi didn't want to cough up the amount needed to make SG1 even a remotely viable business venture for MGM. Mainly because the decreased ratings didn't make it a viable proposition for SciFi; SG1 wasn't good value for money for them. I think SciFi were wrong, but I would, wouldn't I? Especially when you consider some of the rubbish they air!

My fingers are firmly crossed that SGA will be renewed when the new episodes air. I feel more confident now than I did last year, when I was waiting to hear if we'd get a season 4.

SGFerrit
August 22nd, 2007, 04:38 AM
That might be true. It's really difficult to determine exactly how much influence fan campaigns have. The SDJ campaign may have been very influential, been the little nudge that sent things in that direction, or had no influence in bringing MS back. Likewise, the SCB campaign may have had a hand in bringing back Beckett or maybe it was TPTB's plan all along. The only ones that know for sure are TPTB and the actors involved, and I know they would never shoot themselves in the foot and say "those campaigns were pointless - we were planning this all along."

I personally think they were planning to bring back Carson anyway, I'm pretty sure JM said somewhere that he was dissapointed with the decision to kill off Carson... And he is the one writing his return too.

SGFerrit
August 29th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Expect to see Daniel Jackson pop up in Atlantis in season 5 if we get one!

TVGuide.com: Your buddy Christopher Judge is bringing Teal'c to Atlantis this season. Any chance for you?

Shanks: I talked to the producer, Joe Mallozzi, who said they haven't heard about a pickup for a sixth season(oops!), but if they do, they're definitely interested in having Daniel visit for a bit. That's exciting for me.

Falcon Horus
August 29th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Oh great, why don't they just turn it into SG1 while they're at it. :mckay:

PG15
August 29th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Now now, control those emotional outbursts. ;)

Guest-starring once or twice doesn't a replacement make.

Falcon Horus
August 29th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Now now, control those emotional outbursts. ;)

:mckayanime17:

Yoda says. And Yoda is a wise green Jedi. :p

SGFerrit
August 29th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Oh great, why don't they just turn it into SG1 while they're at it. :mckay:

It's funny, I didn't hear a single SG-1 fan complain at what was the gigantic 'Pegasus Project' cross over, where Atlantis and it's characters were hugely pivotal to the storyline. When Chris judge makes an appearance or two and then Michael Shanks could POSSIBLY be doing a season 5 episode, it's "Oh no ATLANTIS-SG-1!!!! : SCREAM :!

In short, calm down, Atlantis has been crossed with SG-1 since it first began, and it has worked both ways. Like it or not, that's how the Stargate universe works. SG-1 FOUND Atlantis, and risked their lives to do it, and it took an entire season of the show. I hear people say 'don't cross them' but they are crossed. They always have been, and always will be. Frankly, if they weren't, it would be pretty stupid. Daniel (who probably deserves to take be on Atlantis more than anyone) coming over for an episode and helping out isn't makeing the show SG-1, and I'm pretty bored of hearing all this 'it's turning into SG-1' crap. It's nearly as bad as the whole 'Fargate-SG-1' ******** from season 9.

If it weren't for SG-1, there would never have been an Atlantis. In canon, or show-wise. It's only natural for there to be the odd cross over. (BTW I don't regard Carter as a crossover anymore, as she is now technically a fully fledged Atlantis cast member, no longer SG-1. Unless you include the movies... She's lucky, she gets to hop back and forth!:P)

Falcon Horus
August 29th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Dude/Dudette, I can be upset if I want to. It's my right as a person (or something like that).

If I fear Atlantis is going to be a way to keep SG1 alive, than I can say as much. I know very well, not everyone believes that. That would be foolish of me.

End of discussion, I agree to disagree.

Ltcolshepjumper
August 29th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Expect to see Daniel Jackson pop up in Atlantis in season 5 if we get one!

TVGuide.com: Your buddy Christopher Judge is bringing Teal'c to Atlantis this season. Any chance for you?

Shanks: I talked to the producer, Joe Mallozzi, who said they haven't heard about a pickup for a sixth season(oops!), but if they do, they're definitely interested in having Daniel visit for a bit. That's exciting for me.

I think Daniel coming over for a bit is perfectly fine. After all, he is the only one, besides Oneill, who actually could justly be in Atlantis for a period of time. He was in the pilot. I hope the Tealc crossover doesn't turn into something they do regularly through later seasons( or season). I think there will be a season 5 (to get back on topic). However, there is question in my mind as to whether there will be a season 6.

SGFerrit
August 29th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Dude/Dudette, I can be upset if I want to. It's my right as a person (or something like that).

If I fear Atlantis is going to be a way to keep SG1 alive, than I can say as much. I know very well, not everyone believes that. That would be foolish of me.

End of discussion, I agree to disagree.

Dude:)

The fact is, I have heard alot of people worrying that Atlantis is being used as a way to keep SG-1 alive. They are forgetting 1 very big thing:

SG-1 doesn't need Atlantis. It has the DVD movie format. They have produced two already, and MGM seem desperate to do more. SG-1 will live on, but not through Atlantis. It will live on through the popularity of it's own name, basically (If you know what I mean lol). I feel the crossovers are more to keep things 'real'. If this was real life, SG-1 would bump into Atlantis now and then. Especially considering in Midway...

The Wraith reach the Midway Station, and apparently then go on to attack the SGC

It makes SOOO much sense that a member of SG-1 is in that episode. Just because it is Atlantis' enemy, doesn't mean SG-1 can't help out if said enemy reaches 'home turf' as it were. (something tells me Tealc STILL won't actually be on Atlantis... I can hope though, he is the only member of SG-1 not to have been yet:()

Falcon Horus
August 29th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Dude:)

Check ;)

And you do make sense.

But one small thing... Whoever it is, don't they insinuate Atlantis needs SG1 to survive, thus creating a sort of logic to bring in SG1 gueststars, resulting in keeping their mothershow alive in a way.

And one small movie-related thing... How many movies do you think they can make without squeezing the lemon to a pulp? (Do you know what I mean?) A little off-topic...maybe we should take that to PM.

the fifth man
August 29th, 2007, 08:16 PM

I totally agree with that. If there is a 5th season of SGA, I certainly wouldn't mind Daniel Jackson appearing in an episode or two. If there is a valid reason for his being there, I'd be all for it.:)

SGFerrit
August 30th, 2007, 03:29 AM
Check ;)

And you do make sense.

But one small thing... Whoever it is, don't they insinuate Atlantis needs SG1 to survive, thus creating a sort of logic to bring in SG1 gueststars, resulting in keeping their mothershow alive in a way.

And one small movie-related thing... How many movies do you think they can make without squeezing the lemon to a pulp? (Do you know what I mean?) A little off-topic...maybe we should take that to PM.

Again, I just think it's natural that these cross overs occur. (BTW, I only count actual members of SG-1 as crossovers, Landry/Lee etc... don't really count IMO. They are kind of copout crossovers lol) Every single crossover that has happened so far on Atlantis has fitted in with the story, and it seems Tealc's crossover this year will be very important to the storyline. I mean, come on, the Wraith reach Earth! You couldn't NOT expect atleast 1 member of SG-1 to turn up lol!

I do totally get where you are coming from, but I think that when these crossovers do happen, they will be intersting, and needed. The only member of SG-1 crossing over next year is Tealc, for one full episode and one small cameo. There aren't going to be loads, so everyone chill:) (I have already made my feelings clear about Sam and the crossover situation in my last post)

I will send you a PM about the movies thing:)

prion
August 30th, 2007, 08:26 AM
I totally agree with that. If there is a 5th season of SGA, I certainly wouldn't mind Daniel Jackson appearing in an episode or two. If there is a valid reason for his being there, I'd be all for it.:)

If they have a valid reason for bringing daniel over, yup, that's fine. however, few and far between is how any sg1 guest appearances should be. this is sga, not sg1 (which has movies, so they can on from there).

SGFerrit
August 30th, 2007, 08:44 AM
however, few and far between is how any sg1 guest appearances should be. this is sga, not sg1 (which has movies, so they can on from there).

And that's how it seems to be happening. Only 1 member of Sg-1 is having a crossover this year (Again, excluding Carter as she isn't coming to the show as an SG-1 crossover, she is coming over to be an Atlantis cast member)

Briangate78
August 30th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Well looking at all of Sci-fi's shows plummeth, even Eureka who hit a 1.5 for a series low I believe. Those 1.2's are looking better and better. Plus Season 4 needs to air, and if those ratings are decent enough we will def have a Season 5.

Oh and remember SGA had a 1.5 for the Season 3 finale and even a 1.4 for the "Return part 2" these are actually really good numbers for the network now.

As per the guest apperances from SG-1 castmembers. I think it's a good thing. Carter was an exception and I think it was smart to bring her on full time next season. But no one else full time. Like Prion said, this is SGA not SG-1. But we should not mind a little help from it's Big Brother show. :)

ussrelativity
August 30th, 2007, 12:17 PM
I hope the numbers will improve over last season.

The question is, how has the network fared with everything else?

Briangate78
August 30th, 2007, 12:55 PM
I hope the numbers will improve over last season.

The question is, how has the network fared with everything else?

Not too well. Everything is down. Even their top show Eureka, which pulled in a 1.5 for it's ep 2 weeks ago. SGA averaged a 1.4 for last season. Not a big difference from the leader.

parisindy
August 30th, 2007, 04:22 PM
<snip>

As per the guest apperances from SG-1 castmembers. I think it's a good thing. Carter was an exception and I think it was smart to bring her on full time next season. But no one else full time. Like Prion said, this is SGA not SG-1. But we should not mind a little help from it's Big Brother show. :)

Atlantis didn't need help from its big brother show ... it was fine by its self

to say it needed help sort of indicates that it is some how inferior to Sg-1 and could not stand on its own. Yes it is a spin off... yes it is part of the same mythos but it is/was its own show, and should have been treated as such IMHO

so i am afraid i will have to agree to disagree about that.

Briangate78
August 30th, 2007, 05:22 PM

to say it needed help sort of indicates that it is some how inferior to Sg-1 and could not stand on its own. Yes it is a spin off... yes it is part of the same mythos but it is/was its own show, and should have been treated as such IMHO

Well SGA really helped SG-1 more after Season 7. I agree that SGA is not no way inferior to SG-1.

Mitchell82
August 30th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Oh, I agree. I think the least we'll get is an Atlantis dvd movie if there's not a season 5 pick-up. In fact, JM has hinted that fans won't be left hanging indefinitely. He said that on his blog.
Which leaves me with hope should (god forbid) SGA not be renewed.

I'm not sure they make money on the re-airing of episodes per se, they're just utilising resources they already have. My impression was, from viewing figures I've seen, that SciFi hasn't had great viewing figures for re-airs of SGA episodes on the whole.
If they get any it's not much and reairs generally don't get good ratings but SG-1 gets more than SGA.

For SGA to be renewed for a season 5 the viewing figures for the beginning of season 4 have to be good, we've been told that by JM. Who knows exactly how good, 1.5+ maybe? But my feeling is that things are in the balance at the moment, and that the first few episode's viewing figures will be the deciding factor.
As well as the overall ratings of S3. Hopefullly they will be good enough because if Scifi looses SGA they ain't got much.

I do think it's a good point that SGA is cheaper than SG1 was to make. That was really the deciding factor in SG1 getting axed, I think. The figures just didn't add up, because SciFi didn't want to cough up the amount needed to make SG1 even a remotely viable business venture for MGM. Mainly because the decreased ratings didn't make it a viable proposition for SciFi; SG1 wasn't good value for money for them. I think SciFi were wrong, but I would, wouldn't I? Especially when you consider some of the rubbish they air!
Agreed and I can't think of anything besides the gates and occasionally Eureka that isn't pure crap.

My fingers are firmly crossed that SGA will be renewed when the new episodes air. I feel more confident now than I did last year, when I was waiting to hear if we'd get a season 4.
Same here.

Mitchell82
August 30th, 2007, 05:27 PM

Well I know your feelings on this matter all too well and I agree id didn't need help nor is it inferior but I don't think crossovers were a bad idea or hurt it.

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
August 30th, 2007, 08:25 PM
i believe there is going to be a season 5 and hopefully a season 6

Heaven
August 30th, 2007, 10:49 PM
I don't mind the occasional character crossing over
but I do very much mind stories and/or enemies crossing over
you see, when characters cross over they're going to have a story that merits their appearance, that means bringing SG-1 baggage to atlantis and that is something that I can't tolerate for the simple reason that the last two seasons of SG1 were complete crap imo.
also in Carter's case it's not really crossover is it? it's more of a kick-out-and-step-over.
season 3 has already brought many SG-1 s9-10 elements to Atlantis, and bringing SG-1 characters only serves to rub it in.
if seasons 9-10 hadn't happened I wouldn't mind a crossover, I'd even be excited about it. but now it feels like they're ruining my other favorite show as well.

so do I think there will be a season 5? - probably
but will it still be Atlantis? - hell no. it will be as much Atlantis as s9-10 are SG1 (which as far as many fans and even TPTB are concerned it is NOT).

SGFerrit
August 31st, 2007, 02:27 AM
you see, when characters cross over they're going to have a story that merits their appearance, that means bringing SG-1 baggage to atlantis and that is something that I can't tolerate for the simple reason that the last two seasons of SG1 were complete crap imo.
also in Carter's case it's not really crossover is it? it's more of a kick-out-and-step-over.).

Not true at all. Look at Tealc crossing over this year for Midway. He isn't bringing any SG-1 'baggage' as you put it with him, he will be helping Ronan stop an invasion of the SGC by the WRAITH (see, not SG-1 enemies for god sakes, or baggage for that matter). Believe it or not, characters can be written into episodes without dragging history over, they can be an integral part of an Atlantis plot if need be.

season 3 has already brought many SG-1 s9-10 elements to Atlantis, and bringing SG-1 characters only serves to rub it in.
if seasons 9-10 hadn't happened I wouldn't mind a crossover, I'd even be excited about it. but now it feels like they're ruining my other favorite show as well.).

How the heck to s3 bring those elements over? How can you possibly 'rub it in?' SG-1 seasons 9 and 10 have had no effect on Atlantis, sorry but thats true. I don't know where you get these ideas from.

but will it still be Atlantis? - hell no. it will be as much Atlantis as s9-10 are SG1 (which as far as many fans and even TPTB are concerned it is NOT).

I think TPTB class s9 and 10 as SG-1 lol, and believe it or not, lots of fans did enjoy it, season 10 especially. Will it still be Atlantis? Yes. There are cast changes, sure, but it will always be Atlantis. And s9-10 of SG-1 have not had, and will never have any effect on that.

WraithSlayer25
August 31st, 2007, 08:21 AM
I'm definitely looking forward to a S5. New characters and hopefully bringing some old ones back!:ford:

It stinks that they are switching characters every so often, and I have to say that the fact that SG1 stuck with the same 4 characters throughout most of their hiatus was the reason it was so successful. Even in Seasons 6, 9, 10 they at least had majority of the same characters.

Briangate78
August 31st, 2007, 08:28 AM
I'm definitely looking forward to a S5. New characters and hopefully bringing some old ones back!:ford:

It stinks that they are switching characters every so often, and I have to say that the fact that SG1 stuck with the same 4 characters throughout most of their hiatus was the reason it was so successful. Even in Seasons 6, 9, 10 they at least had majority of the same characters.

Well Sheppard, Mckay, and Teyla are all original and still going strong. Weir will still be around but her fate also depends on a 5th season where it's possible to bring her back full time.

Mitchell82
August 31st, 2007, 10:18 AM
Not true. Bringing an SG-1 character over does not mean making the story about them. "Grace Under Pressure, Return 1 and 2" for example did not do that nor will Midway with Teal'c. Seasons 9 and 10 were crap in your opinion but many loved it and I don't see how a crossover or two will cause what you are affraid of to happen.

also in Carter's case it's not really crossover is it? it's more of a kick-out-and-step-over.
I don't see it that way. One character(Weir) is uncomfortable and leaving and another(Carter) is reluctantly taking the job. Far from kicking one out and steping over.

if seasons 9-10 hadn't happened I wouldn't mind a crossover, I'd even be excited about it. but now it feels like they're ruining my other favorite show as well.
How exactly? Season 3 has nothing in common with the last two of SG-1 and bringing one SG-1 character over and one guest star does not equal ruining the show IMO.

First I agree that there will be a season 5 as to it not being SGA I don't agree. It will still be SGA and nothing I have seen or heard about season 4 proves therwise. The TPTB have said that seasons 9 and 10 were a new direction but it was still SG-1 and a great new direction. I just don't see your concern.

Heaven
August 31st, 2007, 11:06 AM
Not true. Bringing an SG-1 character over does not mean making the story about them. "Grace Under Pressure, Return 1 and 2" for example did not do that nor will Midway with Teal'c. Seasons 9 and 10 were crap in your opinion but many loved it and I don't see how a crossover or two will cause what you are affraid of to happen.

I guess we'll have to wait and see about that.

I don't see it that way. One character(Weir) is uncomfortable and leaving and another(Carter) is reluctantly taking the job. Far from kicking one out and steping over.

that's a matter of perspective. but the undeniable fact is an Atlantis character is being replaced by a SG-1 character.

How exactly? Season 3 has nothing in common with the last two of SG-1 and bringing one SG-1 character over and one guest star does not equal ruining the show IMO.

I'm talking about the military presence, the IOA, the save the world scenarios, the annoying superhero attitude the characters are developing, the ridiculous ex deus machina stories.

First I agree that there will be a season 5 as to it not being SGA I don't agree. It will still be SGA and nothing I have seen or heard about season 4 proves therwise. The TPTB have said that seasons 9 and 10 were a new direction but it was still SG-1 and a great new direction. I just don't see your concern.
a bad direction imo. and since season 4 is going to follow the direction of season 3, which I didn't enjoy, I don't hold much hope for a better s5.

ToasterOnFire
August 31st, 2007, 05:14 PM
Well Sheppard, Mckay, and Teyla are all original and still going strong. Weir will still be around but her fate also depends on a 5th season where it's possible to bring her back full time.
Actually, Weir's fate depends on whether or not TPTB want to bring her back. So far they've given no indication that they're thinking along those lines, and I think that fans hoping for a s5 just to get Weir back will likely end up disappointed...

Briangate78
August 31st, 2007, 09:11 PM
Actually, Weir's fate depends on whether or not TPTB want to bring her back. So far they've given no indication that they're thinking along those lines, and I think that fans hoping for a s5 just to get Weir back will likely end up disappointed...

If moving characters around makes the show better, heck go for it, and lets get a Season 5 and more. Getting rid of Ford was a good thing, Ronon is a lot better character. Now I am not happy about Weir but I do love Carter, so the negative sorta gets wiped out with a positive.

I think it's very likely to see Weir appear in a decent amount of eps down the road if there are more seasons. At this point we really do not know the fate of Weir. No plots have been given out to my knowledge, if they have I would rather not know. So please use spoiler tags.

Spoilers..

I won't lose hope for Season 5 or returning of characters. They are even leaving Carson open, so anything is possible.

david2708
September 1st, 2007, 02:05 AM
Viewership is dwindling. Long term show audiences tend to continually contract with each new season. There is no real good reason to think Atlantis is suddenly going to get a big jump in viewership.
They'll likely cancel it unless they simply want to do some syndication deal which generally likes 5 seasons of a show.

SGFerrit
September 1st, 2007, 03:14 AM
Viewership is dwindling. Long term show audiences tend to continually contract with each new season. There is no real good reason to think Atlantis is suddenly going to get a big jump in viewership.
They'll likely cancel it unless they simply want to do some syndication deal which generally likes 5 seasons of a show.

Hmm. Someone hasn't been reading the facts properly. Viewership on EVERYTHING is dwindling. ALL of their shows are down. SGA still gets some of their best ratings out of the remaining good shows they have left. They are losing both SG-1 this year, AND BSG next year. Not to mention the stupidly long hiatus they had for the mid season, and allowing it to be shown in, like, EVERY other country before America. Sci fi won't have much good stuff left soon. The good entertainment will probably end up consisting of only Atlantis and Eureka (Who's ratings are down hugley on season 1 aswell may I add) and I'm not counting Wrestling as Wrestling on Sci FI is total BS imo.

If they cancel Atlantis because of your reasons david, they will have to cancel everything else too.

g.o.d
September 1st, 2007, 03:36 AM
well, I would rather see direct dvd movies(at least two) after season 4 than season 5.

Briangate78
September 1st, 2007, 06:35 AM

Hmm. Someone hasn't been reading the facts properly. Viewership on EVERYTHING is dwindling. ALL of their shows are down. SGA still gets some of their best ratings out of the remaining good shows they have left. They are losing both SG-1 this year, AND BSG next year. Not to mention the stupidly long hiatus they had for the mid season, and allowing it to be shown in, like, EVERY other country before America. Sci fi won't have much good stuff left soon. The good entertainment will probably end up consisting of only Atlantis and Eureka (Who's ratings are down hugley on season 1 aswell may I add) and I'm not counting Wrestling as Wrestling on Sci FI is total BS imo.

If they cancel Atlantis because of your reasons david, they will have to cancel everything else too.

Season 3 Premiere 1.5
Season 3 Mid-season finale 1.6
Season 3 Mid-season premiere 1.4
Season 3 finale 1.5

Looks like it went back to where is started.

Remember, long hiatus, lot of people used other viewing methods. We will also get a lot of SG-1 viewers who did not really watch SGA before.

Falcon Horus
September 1st, 2007, 06:36 AM

Add me to the disappointed people when it comes to that.

Briangate78
September 1st, 2007, 07:24 AM
Add me to the disappointed people when it comes to that.

Never lose hope. Look at Carson. Anything is possible if the fans are loud enough.

Falcon Horus
September 1st, 2007, 07:33 AM
Never lose hope. Look at Carson. Anything is possible if the fans are loud enough.

Yeah, but I'm not satisfied with two lousy episodes, and we have no idea in what capacity they bring Carson in.

I ain't loosing hope, but I would be disappointed if season 5 means another season of Carter.

HD89
September 1st, 2007, 07:37 AM
Original question: Yes :ronan:

It would be nice if a multi-year deal could be signed so one did not have to worry after every season if it's going to get renewed or not... Didn't SG1 get this? I'm not really up to speed on the facts...

Falcon Horus
September 1st, 2007, 07:38 AM
It would be nice if a multi-year deal could be signed so one did not have to worry after every season if it's going to get renewed or not... Didn't SG1 get this? I'm not really up to speed on the facts...

And look how they twisted that little clause...

DONNA BOOTH
September 1st, 2007, 08:42 AM
I will surely be disappointed if we don't get a 5th season as season 4 looks like its going to be a really strong season characterwise as well as storywise and i still think there is plenty more room for more character development so i a definatley hoping there will be a season 5

HD89
September 1st, 2007, 10:49 AM
And look how they twisted that little clause...

I see... not a fan of Carter going to Atlantis I take it? :)

Briangate78
September 1st, 2007, 11:00 AM
I will surely be disappointed if we don't get a 5th season as season 4 looks like its going to be a really strong season characterwise as well as storywise and i still think there is plenty more room for more character development so i a definatley hoping there will be a season 5

The writers and producers should not write the season as the last, which Joe M even said in his blog the season finale would be a cliffhanger and would really leave things open for Season 5. So that is good writing. Just because the stupid ratings which are so flawed anyway don't match up to the network's precious profit margin, there are still a lot of fans that would make the show successful. Sorta like the DVD movies for SG-1. So even if S4 is the last, it will not be the end of SGA all together, IMHO!

SaberBlade
September 1st, 2007, 11:02 AM
Personally I can see a season 5. I could see Scifi just wanting a season 5 for syndication.

Scifi seems to have sorted their act out a bit. They are airing it before others, won't be giving their target audience any good reason to download it, won't be doing any stupid breaks, but they have got it lined up with Doctor Who, Flash Gordon and Bionic Woman. I have no idea how those shows are doing in ratings. While it's possible that Atlantis will do fine on it's own, I am not sure how being aired after what could be bad shows (ratings wise) will help.

So I think it is possible, but I am not too sure until I find out more about how the shows before it are doing.

Falcon Horus
September 1st, 2007, 11:21 AM
I see... not a fan of Carter going to Atlantis I take it? :)

Not at all...

So I think it is possible, but I am not too sure until I find out more about how the shows before it are doing.

From what I've read online so far, Flash Gordon is not doing so well. Don't know about Dr. Who.

Reefgirl
September 1st, 2007, 11:48 AM
From what I've read online so far, Flash Gordon is not doing so well. Don't know about Dr. Who.

If we're going on writing quality, acting skills and story content Dr Who, Torchwood (With the exeption of the first 2 episodes of Torchwood and the Dalek 2 parter in Dr Who) Jekyll (if you get it) and Life on Mars (the British version) should walk all over Atlantis unless the scripts have improved dramatically.

Personally I don't think there should be a 5th series or a 4th come to that, if all the people who said they'd stop watching because they killed off Carson, reduced Elizabeth's role and bought Carter in to take over, viewing figures should be in the singular. TPTB alienated too many people with [email protected] stories, poor writing, poor character development, wooden acting and very poor editorial decisions, IMHO of course :D

Falcon Horus
September 1st, 2007, 12:36 PM
If we're going on writing quality, acting skills and story content Dr Who, Torchwood (With the exeption of the first 2 episodes of Torchwood and the Dalek 2 parter in Dr Who) Jekyll (if you get it) and Life on Mars (the British version) should walk all over Atlantis unless the scripts have improved dramatically.

Yeah, I know. ;)

WingedPegasus
September 1st, 2007, 01:52 PM
There'd better be a season 5!

Seriously, though, the quality of season 3 was great, and just about everything I've read about season 4 sounds good.

So why not? :sheppard:

Briangate78
September 1st, 2007, 01:58 PM
Personally I can see a season 5. I could see Scifi just wanting a season 5 for syndication.

Scifi seems to have sorted their act out a bit. They are airing it before others, won't be giving their target audience any good reason to download it, won't be doing any stupid breaks, but they have got it lined up with Doctor Who, Flash Gordon and Bionic Woman. I have no idea how those shows are doing in ratings. While it's possible that Atlantis will do fine on it's own, I am not sure how being aired after what could be bad shows (ratings wise) will help.

All those shows you mention except Bionic Woman are getting half the viewers even less than SGA. So there ya go. :p

BTW, I made a list of pros to why Sci-fi should be giving SGA a 5th season. Well one more pro is if there is no Hiatus this season, it will set up perfectly for a 5th season when BSG ends next year.

Someone here said the 1.2 it was getting for a few eps was very bad. But look at the other shows. A 1.2 is not bad at all, IMO. That number would rank it in the top 3 or 5. Now SGA ended with a 1.5! That is a good sign right there. Remember folksm Sci-fi made a decision for a 4th season when the show was getting a 1.5 to 1.6! The entire season averaged a 1.4. So it's not far off.

One last thing, they will look at the first few eps of Season 4. If we can average a 1.5 or a little over, we will get a S5 and maybe even a S6.

No show on Sci-fi has gotten a 2.0+ for over a year! What does that tell you? It's not SGA that is down, the entire network is hurting, Check that the entire TV networks are hurting in ratings. Makes you wonder why NBC Universal pulled out of itunes.

Briangate78
September 1st, 2007, 02:00 PM
There'd better be a season 5!

Seriously, though, the quality of season 3 was great, and just about everything I've read about season 4 sounds good.

So why not? :sheppard:

Well if the show is as good as I am reading, there better be a 5th, 6th and 7th season! :p

Falcon Horus
September 1st, 2007, 02:01 PM
Makes you wonder why NBC Universal pulled out of itunes.

Pulling out of it won't make much difference, I'm afraid. It will only give reason to find it elsewhere if one can't watch it live.

Briangate78
September 1st, 2007, 02:02 PM
Pulling out of it won't make much difference, I'm afraid. It will only give reason to find it elsewhere if one can't watch it live.

It will effect the U.S. Households.

Falcon Horus
September 1st, 2007, 02:07 PM
It will effect the U.S. Households.

How?

Briangate78
September 1st, 2007, 02:10 PM
How?

People will get Tivo or try to watch it live if they cannot get it off the net. There are honest people still out there who will not illegally download. One example. Say someone who has a nielsen box could never watch live and they don't own Tivo(Tivo is counted towards ratings if you have a nielsen box) now they will invest into a Tivo since they cannot download it off of itunes. You know something, you are probably right, they can just go to amazon unboxed. N/M you are correct. lol!

Falcon Horus
September 1st, 2007, 02:12 PM
People will get Tivo or try to watch it live if they cannot get it off the net. There are honest people still out there who will not illegally download. One example. Say someone who has a nielsen box could never watch live and they don't own Tivo(Tivo is counted towards ratings if you have a nielsen box) now they will invest into a Tivo since they cannot download it off of itunes. You know something, you are probably right, they can just go to amazon unboxed. N/M you are correct. lol!

No, you make sense too. It can go either way. :)

Briangate78
September 1st, 2007, 02:15 PM
No, you make sense too. It can go either way. :)

It's actually interesting. Some people are saying because MGM owns SGA and they can still distripute SGA on itunes. But since Sci-fi has the airing right, will that make a difference? Is there a contract where they cannot? :S I am so confused about this, lol.

All i know is. I want more seasons than just 4 of SGA.:p

Falcon Horus
September 1st, 2007, 02:18 PM
It's actually interesting. Some people are saying because MGM owns SGA and they can still distripute SGA on itunes. But since Sci-fi has the airing right, will that make a difference? Is there a contract where they cannot? :S I am so confused about this, lol.

Sorry, I can't help you there. I have no idea how it goes in the business but I'd probably be as confused as you.

All i know is. I want more seasons than just 4 of SGA.:p

Yup, completely agree. No matter what TPTB do in it.

Reefgirl
September 1st, 2007, 02:27 PM
Seriously, though, the quality of season 3 was great

:eek: Did we watch the same show???? I thought it was the worst so far, complete drivel

mgehman
September 1st, 2007, 02:43 PM
I don't think SciFi has much of a choice but to renew, unless they are going to field a whole new schedule. Lets look at the SciFi original series this year shall we:
1. BSG - love it, but it is ending
2. Flash Gordon - unproven, better pick up soon
3 Dresden Files - Dead
4. PKJ - DOA
5. Dr. Who - BBC america may get the next season
6. Eureka - only winner so far
7 oooo WWE - Just love that one...not
8. Enterprise reruns, Dead Like Me reruns, Jake 2.0 reruns, Special Unit 2 rereuns...are we seeing a trend here.
Most of the content that Scifi has fielded in the last 2 years has been so appallingly bad with the exception of the Stargates, BSG and possibly Eureka that maybe the last one out of the network should turn off the lights if Atlantis is cancelled. Just my 2 cents.

Pegasus_SGA
September 1st, 2007, 02:43 PM
Well, my spidey sense has been tingling a lot lately and it's been saying that there will definately be a s5! http://bestsmileys.com/excited/3.gif

*gets our her crystal ball*

We will find out on the 4th of October... if not before :D

mgehman
September 1st, 2007, 02:45 PM
Well, my spidey sense has been tingling a lot lately and it's been saying that there will definately be a s5! http://bestsmileys.com/excited/3.gif

*gets our her crystal ball*

We will find out on the 4th of October... if not before :D
JM said on his blog he expects the go/no go to be given in November...here's hoping you are right though

Pegasus_SGA
September 1st, 2007, 03:10 PM
I'm always right! ;) :P

*passes tissues out before people spew on their keyboards*
:D

Linzi
September 1st, 2007, 03:14 PM
I'm always right! ;) :P

*passes tissues out before people spew on their keyboards*
:D
I hope your spidey senses are tingling with this one, Peg? ;)

Ruffles
September 1st, 2007, 04:02 PM
All those shows you mention except Bionic Woman are getting half the viewers even less than SGA. So there ya go. :p

BTW, I made a list of pros to why Sci-fi should be giving SGA a 5th season. Well one more pro is if there is no Hiatus this season, it will set up perfectly for a 5th season when BSG ends next year.

Someone here said the 1.2 it was getting for a few eps was very bad. But look at the other shows. A 1.2 is not bad at all, IMO. That number would rank it in the top 3 or 5. Now SGA ended with a 1.5! That is a good sign right there. Remember folksm Sci-fi made a decision for a 4th season when the show was getting a 1.5 to 1.6! The entire season averaged a 1.4. So it's not far off.

One last thing, they will look at the first few eps of Season 4. If we can average a 1.5 or a little over, we will get a S5 and maybe even a S6.

No show on Sci-fi has gotten a 2.0+ for over a year! What does that tell you? It's not SGA that is down, the entire network is hurting, Check that the entire TV networks are hurting in ratings. Makes you wonder why NBC Universal pulled out of itunes.

Comparing SGA's ratings to other shows is flawed thinking unless those shows cost exactly the same amount as SGA to produce. This is still about money. That's one reason reality shows are so popular with the networks - no big salaries to pay (actors, writers, etc). SGA has to pull in enough ratings to make advertisers WANT to pay to have their commercials aired during the eps. It's why they emphasize watching live and why international viewership isn't counted. SciFi has to make enough money from advertising to cover MGMs pricetag.

S4 may start off with higher ratings than any other show on SciFi, but if it isn't high enough to entice advertisers, it won't matter. They could still get canceled.

Don't get me wrong - I really want an S5. Just don't forget that it's all about the bottom line.

:eek: Did we watch the same show???? I thought it was the worst so far, complete drivel

We must not be watching the same show. With the exception of a couple of eps (which crazily enough, both begin with "I"), I thought S3 was great.

parisindy
September 1st, 2007, 04:12 PM
We must not be watching the same show. With the exception of a couple of eps (which crazily enough, both begin with "I"), I thought S3 was great.

I loved season 3! except for a couple if episodes that don't start with 'i' lol
((hugs ruffles)), though 'i' episodes were not my favorite lol

Briangate78
September 1st, 2007, 05:08 PM
Comparing SGA's ratings to other shows is flawed thinking unless those shows cost exactly the same amount as SGA to produce. This is still about money. That's one reason reality shows are so popular with the networks - no big salaries to pay (actors, writers, etc). SGA has to pull in enough ratings to make advertisers WANT to pay to have their commercials aired during the eps. It's why they emphasize watching live and why international viewership isn't counted. SciFi has to make enough money from advertising to cover MGMs pricetag.

S4 may start off with higher ratings than any other show on SciFi, but if it isn't high enough to entice advertisers, it won't matter. They could still get canceled.

Don't get me wrong - I really want an S5. Just don't forget that it's all about the bottom line.

SGA is cheaper than SG-1 and now they have to only pay for one show.

Briangate78
September 1st, 2007, 05:10 PM
I don't think SciFi has much of a choice but to renew, unless they are going to field a whole new schedule. Lets look at the SciFi original series this year shall we:
1. BSG - love it, but it is ending
2. Flash Gordon - unproven, better pick up soon
3 Dresden Files - Dead
4. PKJ - DOA
5. Dr. Who - BBC america may get the next season
6. Eureka - only winner so far
7 oooo WWE - Just love that one...not
8. Enterprise reruns, Dead Like Me reruns, Jake 2.0 reruns, Special Unit 2 rereuns...are we seeing a trend here.
Most of the content that Scifi has fielded in the last 2 years has been so appallingly bad with the exception of the Stargates, BSG and possibly Eureka that maybe the last one out of the network should turn off the lights if Atlantis is cancelled. Just my 2 cents.

Great list there, lol. Half those shows are dead, soon to be dead, or dying, lol! BTW, you forgot Ghost Hunters which pulls in about the same ratings as SGA. :)

Ruffles
September 1st, 2007, 05:28 PM
*waves at paris* Hiya hon!

SGA is cheaper than SG-1 and now they have to only pay for one show.

That's true. And they are only getting advertising dollars from one show now instead of 2. The revenue is cut in half just like the expenses. And I believe I read somewhere that SGA's budget was increased this year so they are doing more expensive shows (more CGI, etc). SGA still has to turn a profit to be kept alive.

It takes quality to keep viewers, but it takes promotion to attract them. We, the hard core fans, are few in number (relatively speaking). SciFi has to capture the interest of the former casual viewers and find some new ones. As far as I know, the only advertising they've done is on SciFi. I am a faithful watcher of The 4400 on USA (a sister network). I have seen plenty of ads for Eureka but not one for SGA. Releasing S3 on DVD 10 days before the S4 premier will certainly help if it is marketed correctly.

I think the next 4 weeks of promotions will tell how serious SciFi is in reaching a bigger audience for SGA. And the season premier will definitely point to whether S5 will happen. I certainly hope it will.

Briangate78
September 1st, 2007, 06:26 PM
*waves at paris* Hiya hon!

That's true. And they are only getting advertising dollars from one show now instead of 2. The revenue is cut in half just like the expenses. And I believe I read somewhere that SGA's budget was increased this year so they are doing more expensive shows (more CGI, etc). SGA still has to turn a profit to be kept alive.

It takes quality to keep viewers, but it takes promotion to attract them. We, the hard core fans, are few in number (relatively speaking). SciFi has to capture the interest of the former casual viewers and find some new ones. As far as I know, the only advertising they've done is on SciFi. I am a faithful watcher of The 4400 on USA (a sister network). I have seen plenty of ads for Eureka but not one for SGA. Releasing S3 on DVD 10 days before the S4 premier will certainly help if it is marketed correctly.

I think the next 4 weeks of promotions will tell how serious SciFi is in reaching a bigger audience for SGA. And the season premier will definitely point to whether S5 will happen. I certainly hope it will.

Good point. It really comes down to the numbers. See I think Sci-fi doesn't have to spend a lot on advertisement for SGA, since the viewers are there. However, it is good to see the ads for season 4 pretty frequent like during Eureka and Flask. Also, that Stargate SG-1 marathon this past friday had about a half a dozen maybe even more SGA commercials. I know the marathon attracted more viewers than the normal rewatch SG-1 crowd. So that will help SGA also.

This is what I see, You have season 4, that has a bigger budget, costs less for Sci-fi to air, and it will probably be even better quality that will attract and/or keep viewers.

It really depends how Season 4 does for the first few eps, we need to pull in a 1.5 or better to get a 5th season, imo.

ussrelativity
September 2nd, 2007, 09:46 AM
We just have to rally as many people as we can to the show, and if SCIFI kills it, than NBC/Universal is already more twisted than I think it is.

Mitchell82
September 2nd, 2007, 04:03 PM
I hope your spidey senses are tingling with this one, Peg? ;)

Same here. If we don't get a renewal heads will roll.

Falcon Horus
September 2nd, 2007, 04:07 PM
If we don't get a renewal heads will roll.

For some reason I have a visual of Jack saying that. :S

Mitchell82
September 2nd, 2007, 04:08 PM
For some reason I have a visual of Jack saying that. :S

He did say that I think in Fail Safe.

Falcon Horus
September 2nd, 2007, 04:18 PM
He did say that I think in Fail Safe.

Yeah, I know... Probably because he did say it that I can see and hear him say it now too. With all the "What?"'s flying around.

PG15
September 2nd, 2007, 04:32 PM
I'm pretty sure it's something in the later seasons.

Ok, it's from "Moebius Part 1"; I just checked the show transcripts.

Briangate78
September 2nd, 2007, 08:07 PM
I'm pretty sure it's something in the later seasons.

Ok, it's from "Moebius Part 1"; I just checked the show transcripts.

Yup, when they were in the confrence room and they are talking about the ZPM. Jack says something like " If I have to say what one more time, heads are going to roll"

Nice job PG15 finding the right ep! :p

Briangate78
September 2nd, 2007, 08:38 PM
Eureka 1.6
ECW 1.5
Solar Attack 1.5
Jeepers Creepers 2 1.1
Star Trek Enterprise 1.1
Inferno 1.0
Meltdown 1.0
Freddy vs. Jason 1.0
The Hollow 1.0
Disaster Zone 1.0

Source: Nielsen Galaxy Report, 8/13/07 -- 8/19/07

Where's Flash Gordon, PKJ, Who wants to be a Superhero, and Dr.Who? Even the low 1.2's SGA was getting for some eps the 2nd half of season 3 would put the show in the top 5. SGA ended with a 1.5, so it would put it right behind the leader.

Folks, we have to be getting a season 5! There is no frelling way they would cancel a show that pulls into the top 5 or top 3 almost every week it airs.

scifi_lemon
September 2nd, 2007, 10:55 PM

Where's Flash Gordon, PKJ, Who wants to be a Superhero, and Dr.Who? Even the low 1.2's SGA was getting for some eps the 2nd half of season 3 would put the show in the top 5. SGA ended with a 1.5, so it would put it right behind the leader.

Folks, we have to be getting a season 5! There is no frelling way they would cancel a show that pulls into the top 5 or top 3 almost every week it airs.

I don't mean to by pessamistic but I'm sure that's what the SG1 fans thought just before the cancellation announcment came.

At this point, I think it could go either way. But I'm hoping it'll get renewed.

Agent_Dark
September 3rd, 2007, 01:34 AM
if all the people who said they'd stop watching because they killed off Carson, reduced Elizabeth's role and bought Carter in to take over, viewing figures should be in the singular.
i dont think like what? 30 odd? people will reduce the viewing figures into the singular...

saberhagen83
September 3rd, 2007, 01:43 AM
Eureka 1.6
ECW 1.5
Solar Attack 1.5
Jeepers Creepers 2 1.1
Star Trek Enterprise 1.1
Inferno 1.0
Meltdown 1.0
Freddy vs. Jason 1.0
The Hollow 1.0
Disaster Zone 1.0

I have to say Eureka is doing very well. It's one of SciFi's most consistent shows I think. Everytime I see these ratings updates they always seem to get 1.6 or 1.5. Considering not much is doing well on that channel these days, SGA with ratings very similar to last season should get a green light for S5.

Wonder if FG will even get a full season...that was some drop from the premiere. ;)

I don't mean to by pessamistic but I'm sure that's what the SG1 fans thought just before the cancellation announcment came.

At this point, I think it could go either way. But I'm hoping it'll get renewed.

But I think there is some difference in this situation. SG1 had gone for 10 years, constant new contract negotiations and many other things ment the show cost very much to make. I know that isn't the only reason but still. SGA is still a very "new" show in comparision and should cost less to produce. Obvisouly they need good ratings, and possibly better in a year or two to keep it running.

SGFerrit
September 3rd, 2007, 03:02 AM
i dont think like what? 30 odd? people will reduce the viewing figures into the singular...

Agreed.

{Mod Snip}I'm not being nasty or trying to insult people opinions here in any way, but I think the number of people who are strongly anti-s4 here is much exaggerated by the vocalness {Mod Snip} And keep in mind, the the cast changes are now common knowledge among all of fandom, from us hard-core fans to those who are just normal viewers. And if the normal viewers were so pissed off that they weren't going to watch, I would expect a MUCH bigger uproar on the net. Most people have computers these days, and it is part of humanity that if you are annoyed about something, especially if it is a gripe with something you like, you will complain. And the net gives people a place to complain. I have seen a couple of new people sign up to Gateworld and other sites to express concern, but no where near the extent that would be expected if tptb had actually managed to piss of the 'normal viewers'. And with the increase in adertising that has happened this year, I expect Atlantis to pull in the similar 1.4 or 1.5 it got when it premiered last year quite easily.

I think this bodes well for a season 5. However, Sci fi are unpredictable. We can only wait and see. :Crosses fingers:

Agent_Dark
September 3rd, 2007, 03:17 AM
Yeah no doubt. It's self perpetuating too - when people only hear themselves because they are the loudest, they keep thinking they are the biggest which in turn makes them speak louder because they "are" the biggest which means they can speak louder and so on.

stclare
September 3rd, 2007, 03:27 AM
I would think that there would be higher viewing ratings at the begining of season 4 as fans like myself who are extremley wary of the changes will watch anyway, as will fans who are coming over from sg1.

what ever my personal opinion is after the first few eps have aired. i dont belive that there will be an extreme enough shift in the viewer ratings overall to be detremental to wether or not there will be a season 5.

i think that the decision will be made on the costs, and wether if they canx atlantis they have something of a good enough calibre to fill that big gaping hole where sg1/a was.

Pegasus_SGA
September 3rd, 2007, 03:54 AM
Agreed.

{Mod Snip}I'm not being nasty or trying to insult people opinions here in any way, but I think the number of people who are strongly anti-s4 here is much exaggerated by the vocalness {Mod Snip} And keep in mind, the the cast changes are now common knowledge among all of fandom, from us hard-core fans to those who are just normal viewers. And if the normal viewers were so pissed off that they weren't going to watch, I would expect a MUCH bigger uproar on the net. Most people have computers these days, and it is part of humanity that if you are annoyed about something, especially if it is a gripe with something you like, you will complain. And the net gives people a place to complain. I have seen a couple of new people sign up to Gateworld and other sites to express concern, but no where near the extent that would be expected if tptb had actually managed to piss of the 'normal viewers'. And with the increase in adertising that has happened this year, I expect Atlantis to pull in the similar 1.4 or 1.5 it got when it premiered last year quite easily.

I think this bodes well for a season 5. However, Sci fi are unpredictable. We can only wait and see. :Crosses fingers:

Nice points. One thing it does have in it's favour aswell, is that, even those agains S4 are willing to give SGA a try, and that may counteract those that no longer want to watch the show; thus evening out the viewers figures. And with SG1 no longer on the air, some of them may cross over to see Carter and enjoy what they see and stay. I think even those that have concerns about S4 (apart from those that refuse point blank to watch) may still watch and be pleasantly surprised. But if not, I've not seen many on the board that say they flat out refuse to watch. While I know GW is not refelective of general viewing figures in the US, I think you made some very good points about people having access to the net and airing their greivances. For me though, I've said right from the start that there will be a S5, and my spidy sense is tingling even more lately that we'll get an answer soon... although it could be just the squee of S4 attmepting to get out. ;) :P :D

Klenotka
September 3rd, 2007, 04:14 AM
Eureka 1.6
ECW 1.5
Solar Attack 1.5
Jeepers Creepers 2 1.1
Star Trek Enterprise 1.1
Inferno 1.0
Meltdown 1.0
Freddy vs. Jason 1.0
The Hollow 1.0
Disaster Zone 1.0

Definitely interesting numbers. I think that they have to give us S5! Even when is some SGA episode weak, it has 1.2 or 1.1. I think if they would announce canceling because of ratings, nobody would believe.
SGA has lots of fans all over the world. Czechs canīt wait the premiere. The only problem is that we canīt watch it live in TV. Even when we will watch it in the internet through iTunes or some TV player, nothing changes. Important are people who are watching live so they can watch commercials :rolleyes: How did Martin Gero say it? That he is a car seller?
Anyway, this year is, thanks to all gods, premiere on the Sci-Fi and the break probably wonīt be long at all. I hope that after the 3-weeks break after Christmas and one-week break after Thanksgiving day, SkyOne or Movie Network wonīt catch up. But Thanksgiving day is only US holiday, right? So it might easily happen. :S

Falcon Horus
September 3rd, 2007, 05:07 AM
{Mod Snip} I'm not being nasty or trying to insult people opinions here in any way, but I think the number of people who are strongly anti-s4 here is much exaggerated by the vocalness of {mod snip}.

What has the above got to do with whether we get a season 5 or not? How many of those 10 frequent Anti-Carter posters is a US-citizen with SciFi and a Nielsenbox-holder? I bet none is in the system and only a handful is US-citizen with SciFi, the rest are non-US-citizens who don't make a dent in the ratings if they watch through other means.

I understand you try not to be offence, but it sure does sound that IF SGA should get cancelled it's all the Anti-season 4/Carter-people's fault cause they weren't watching.

Gateworl isn't just populated with US-peeps, you do know that right?

bluealien
September 3rd, 2007, 05:12 AM
I don't think we will see any drop in rating for season four... I think a lot will come back to the show because of the new changes. SG1 fans who may not have watched SGA before may come over to see Carter and be pleasantly surprised with what they find. Season four sounds exciting and has a new dynamic that will be interesting to see. So far from spoilers that have come out I am more excited about this season than any previous one. The vast majority of viewers are only interested in good stories that keep their interest and not so much in one particular character. All of the characters have their own loyal fans but I doubt enough to make any difference to ratings should any of them chose to stop watching because their favourite character is not there anymore.

Season four is taking a gritter darker path from what we have heard and I think the inclusion of Carter will also bring about a new dynamic to the show that many will tune in for. So I'm pretty optimistic that we will get a season five once scifi see the direction the show is taking in season 4, and with better promotion, better stories and a new and intersting direction I think there is a lot in favour for a season five..

Pegasus_SGA
September 3rd, 2007, 06:11 AM
What has the above got to do with whether we get a season 5 or not? How many of those 10 frequent Anti-Carter posters is a US-citizen with SciFi and a Nielsenbox-holder? I bet none is in the system and only a handful is US-citizen with SciFi, the rest are non-US-citizens who don't make a dent in the ratings if they watch through other means.

I understand you try not to be offence, but it sure does sound that IF SGA should get cancelled it's all the Anti-season 4/Carter-people's fault cause they weren't watching.

What he was saying hon, is that the loss of viewers could potentially impact on the overall ratings for the Show getting a season 5. He made a general point of assessing how many wouldn't watch the show, and what that impact would have in the grand scheme of things. You're right we don't know how many 'antis' are those with Nielson boxes, and we probably will never know. And you're also right in saying that those who are not US, would count in the overall figures. But, what I don't get is why people are told not to tivo etc, and to watch live? Surely if they don't have a box it wouldn't make a difference as their viewing figures wouldn't count... or have they found a way to count those without nielson boxes? If the show is cancelled *sniff* then rightly or wrongly some people may think it had to do with people switching off. But the tacit link between those refusing to watch and the ratings figures was what SGFerrit was pointing out, and was on topic, hon.

SGFerrit
September 3rd, 2007, 06:17 AM

Exactly.

I didn't mean that at all. I meant if it is cancelled, I don't think Anti-s4 people will be the reason, as I don't think they are reflective of the general viweing US public. When you see the anti s4 threads and people on here, it makes you wonder if they represent the thoughts of the majority. But the truth is, I think they are 'louder' than the people who are pro.

That is normal for people though, if you have gripes with something then you will complain. But the fact is, if the changes were that hated by most fans, there would be a hell of alot more people on the net up in arms than there are now. I'm Sorry if it came across the wrong way. It's just I don't think there will be enough anti's switching off to affect ratings so much so that we won't get a season 5.

Falcon Horus
September 3rd, 2007, 06:18 AM
What he was saying hon, is that the loss of viewers could potentially impact on the overall ratings for the Show getting a season 5. He made a general point of assessing how many wouldn't watch the show, and what that impact would have in the grand scheme of things. You're right we don't know how many 'antis' are those with Nielson boxes, and we probably will never know. And you're also right in saying that those who are not US, would count in the overall figures.

Oh okay... :o ...nevermind me.

But, what I don't get is why people are told not to tivo etc, and to watch live? Surely if they don't have a box it wouldn't make a difference as their viewing figures wouldn't count... or have they found a way to count those without nielson boxes?

Interesting... I didn't know that. Anyone know?

Edit:

I'm Sorry if it came across the wrong way.

It's okay. :) As you can see Pegasus_SGA already explained the meaning a little better. And I was probably just seeing ghosts with the bit of pro/anti-animosity sometimes.

SGFerrit
September 3rd, 2007, 06:32 AM
Okay, glad we cleared that up:)

nowvoyager908
September 3rd, 2007, 07:16 AM
Agreed.

You're assuming that those who watch SGA who are casual viewers care enough one way or the other to get online and post. The bottom line is that you will never hear a peep out of most viewers, except in the ratings. They will either tune in every Friday at 10:00 pm and watch or they won't. Pretty simple.

The views expressed on GW or any other site (either pro or anti or anywhere in between) will have zero to do with SGA getting a renewal. It will depend on whether or not SGA reaches its target demographic and whether is is fiscally reasonable to continue airing the show depending on how much SciFi has to pay to MGM and Bridge and whoever else is in the equation.

And don't forget, here in the US, late September is when the networks trot out their new seasons. SciFi will not be able to gain a foothold by competing against summer reruns; they're going against mainstream series premiers. This should be everyone's biggest concern. IMHO, of course.

Briangate78
September 3rd, 2007, 07:22 AM
I have to say Eureka is doing very well. It's one of SciFi's most consistent shows I think. Everytime I see these ratings updates they always seem to get 1.6 or 1.5. Considering not much is doing well on that channel these days, SGA with ratings very similar to last season should get a green light for S5.

Wonder if FG will even get a full season...that was some drop from the premiere. ;)

But I think there is some difference in this situation. SG1 had gone for 10 years, constant new contract negotiations and many other things ment the show cost very much to make. I know that isn't the only reason but still. SGA is still a very "new" show in comparision and should cost less to produce. Obvisouly they need good ratings, and possibly better in a year or two to keep it running.

I can almost say that it is certain SGA is cheaper to produce. Also Sci-fi was paying for 2 shows for three years. They only have to pay for one, so costs for them are already down by more than half.

Agreed.

I can see it leveling out at a 1.4 to 1.5, and premiering with a 1.6 or 1.7! That should be good enough for a 5th season.

No show has gotten over a 2.0 in over a year. Those numbers are just not there anymore, it's not Stargate it's the entire network. That is why I am so passionate about there being a 5th season.

Well the Anti-Carter fans I don't agree with, but I respect their opinion. I was not a fan of Browder and Black but grew to enjoy their roles in season 10. All I can say is give the show a chance. There is a bigger budget, better quality of writing, and some really amazing story arcs.

Oka
September 3rd, 2007, 09:26 AM
Definitely. Season 3 was disappointing - no point in denying it. That's why they've decided to change so much in the show, out goes Weir and Beckett and in goes Sam Carter and the new doctor. I am in 100% support of these changes and I believe that in the long run they will pay off. I am convinced that the new season will be the best one yet. Ratings will go up, no doubt about it. We'll get a Season 5, you can count on it.

PG15
September 3rd, 2007, 10:44 AM
Heh, well, looks like Eureka is a winner, sort of.

To paraphrase Seinfield, SciFi should hold onto Eureka like grim death, which is not that far off, by the way.

Alipeeps
September 3rd, 2007, 11:09 AM
But, what I don't get is why people are told not to tivo etc, and to watch live? Surely if they don't have a box it wouldn't make a difference as their viewing figures wouldn't count... or have they found a way to count those without nielson boxes?

Because the Nielsen box folks are meant to be a cross-section of the populace. So therefore, the more people watch a show, the more Nielsen viewers will watch it. The studios etc can't target the Nielsen viewers specifically as they don't know who they are.. precisely because the Nielsen figures are supposed to represent the general viewing trends of the population at large (whether they still do or not is another whole discussion). So if more people generally watch the show, the Nielsen figures should reflect that.

SGFerrit
September 3rd, 2007, 11:30 AM
Definitely. Season 3 was disappointing - no point in denying it. That's why they've decided to change so much in the show, out goes Weir and Beckett and in goes Sam Carter and the new doctor. I am in 100% support of these changes and I believe that in the long run they will pay off. I am convinced that the new season will be the best one yet. Ratings will go up, no doubt about it. We'll get a Season 5, you can count on it.

Yep, the sheer quality of season 4 sounds to be amazing. I was worried about Harmony, but after hearing and seeing more, it is looking great! I am excited about every single episode... I don't think that has ever happened before with me! I personally think general viewers will be very impressed, but again, we will have to wait and see. There is the possibility that this season won't live up to me expectations. I hope I haven't set them too high.

parisindy
September 3rd, 2007, 11:39 AM

i really enjoyed season 3... so far i haven't seen anything redeeming about season 4, not even the spoilers interest me. I think it will probably go to season 5 so it can get syndication status. I don't think the ratings will change all that much this year. Which really means imho that all the changes were a bit pointless, but hey if it makes some of the fans happy i suppose its good for someone. I don't think that if they had kept things the way they were the ratings would have changed down or up either. But its all conjecture.

i am slowly loosing interest in the show as a whole.

the_dark_light
September 3rd, 2007, 11:58 AM
Whether there'll be a 5th season is anyone's guess. Ultimately, the ratings for season 4 will be the decider.

Depending upon how much of an upheaval season 4 is, I'm not altogether sure whether the show will retain its popularity. The things I'm wondering about are:

1) Will the new race who are being added to the show add something good to the show? (Given that there seem to be mixed feelings about the Ori being added to SG-1)
2) Will Sam be a military leader or civilian? In a preview, I noticed AT wearing the red uniform of Weir. So does that mean that she'll be more like Weir? Or more like Hammond/Landry? (I know they're Generals, I'm just using them as examples of military leadership)
3) Related to point 2, does this mean more of a military focus? (e.g. when Seaquest changed from being a scientific/environmental themed show to more action/military)

Any predictions as to whether there will be a 5th season will probably be about as reliable as your average dial a psychic, so I'll shut up now.

Listy
September 3rd, 2007, 01:37 PM
Eureka 1.6
ECW 1.5
Solar Attack 1.5
Jeepers Creepers 2 1.1
Star Trek Enterprise 1.1
Inferno 1.0
Meltdown 1.0
Freddy vs. Jason 1.0
The Hollow 1.0
Disaster Zone 1.0

I agree plus with the amount of shows that have crashed or been cancelled, if they cancel much more they will be showing constant reruns or nothing at all. There doesn't seem to be many new shows on the horizon (or if there is as usual the advertising sucks) so they need to keep some of their better shows like SGA.

Is Flash Gordon still going to show before SGA? Has anyone seen ratings for it yet? wondered, if there is a lack of interest in that whether it would affect people staying tuned for SGA. Saying that I just tend to stick reminders on my skybox and channel surf until what I want to see starts, so guess it will be fine - so I will shut up now.

I am confident we will get a S5.

yeah I wondered about that too.

Because the Nielsen box folks are meant to be a cross-section of the populace. So therefore, the more people watch a show, the more Nielsen viewers will watch it. The studios etc can't target the Nielsen viewers specifically as they don't know who they are.. precisely because the Nielsen figures are supposed to represent the general viewing trends of the population at large (whether they still do or not is another whole discussion). So if more people generally watch the show, the Nielsen figures should reflect that.

Ah ok I see, it would seem pretty impossible to target the Nielson viewers so just get everyone, makes sense.

PG15
September 3rd, 2007, 02:01 PM
Is Flash Gordon still going to show before SGA? Has anyone seen ratings for it yet?

Yes, and you'd see the rating on the post you just quoted with the data from SciFi Wire...if the ratings for FG actually got into the top 10! Only about 1.14 million people watched the second episode, making its rating somewhere around 0.7-0.8.

It's dead, Jim.

Mitchell82
September 3rd, 2007, 05:01 PM
Eureka 1.6
ECW 1.5
Solar Attack 1.5
Jeepers Creepers 2 1.1
Star Trek Enterprise 1.1
Inferno 1.0
Meltdown 1.0
Freddy vs. Jason 1.0
The Hollow 1.0
Disaster Zone 1.0

Agreed. Even ECW is loosing numbers YES!

Briangate78
September 3rd, 2007, 05:27 PM
This was from last year...

ECW 2.4
Eureka 2.1
Stargate Atlantis 1.5
Stargate SG-1 1.5
Stan Lee's Lightspeed 1.2
Nightstalker 1.1
Dark Angel 1.0
Star Trek: First Contact 1.0
Dead Like Me 0.9
Stargate 0.9

Source: Nielsen Galaxy Report, 7/24/06 -- 7/30/06

What's my point? :p SGA ended with a 1.5 for the Season 3 finale. Season 3 ended with a 1.4 season average. ECW and Eureka are not getting those numbers anymore by a long shot.

ToasterOnFire
September 3rd, 2007, 05:59 PM
This was from last year...What's my point? :p SGA ended with a 1.5 for the Season 3 finale. Season 3 ended with a 1.4 season average. ECW and Eureka are not getting those numbers anymore by a long shot.
Sure SGA got a 1.5 back then, but using your same data ECW got a 2.4 and Eureka got a 2.1 that week. Lately Eureka had a 1.6 and ECW had a 1.5 - quite a drop from a year ago. If those two shows dropped that much in one year it's no stretch to assume that SGA will also have ratings lower than 1.5 when it premieres.

Irish Eyes
September 3rd, 2007, 06:40 PM
I think right now SGA stands a good chance of getting renewed, simply because SciFi's last few shows (PKJ, FG, etc.) have tanked pretty quickly. Why would they get rid of a show with a decent fan base? Wait, don't answer that. These are the same folks who put ECW on a science fiction channel. :S

Briangate78
September 3rd, 2007, 08:38 PM
Sure SGA got a 1.5 back then, but using your same data ECW got a 2.4 and Eureka got a 2.1 that week. Lately Eureka had a 1.6 and ECW had a 1.5 - quite a drop from a year ago. If those two shows dropped that much in one year it's no stretch to assume that SGA will also have ratings lower than 1.5 when it premieres.

I think you missed my point, and that cool. I am stating that shows like Eureka and ECW feel off big time were as SGA has been staying even and keeping it's viewers. S3 premiere pulled in a 1.5 where as the S3 finale pulled in a 1.5! They made a decision for SGA's 4th season right around when SGA was getting like a 1.5, which was the first few eps of Season 3. Sci-fi will see the 1.5 for the finale and hopefully if Season 4 pulls in around that, we should get a 5th season with no questions asked.

Also, I think the Season 4 Premiere will do at least a 1.5! My logic behind that...

"First Strike" was a great finale and got a lot of postive feedback from fans. SG-1 viewers who never really tuned in every week of SGA will be checking out Carter in action on SGA. From what I read they are really going all out for the Season 4 Premiere. Basically, they have to sell the show again to attract more viewers while keeping the current ones happy. I think they will succeed. They got a bigger budget because SG-1 is gone, and Sci-fi is paying a fraction now of the cost to air the Franchise.

Costs are down, Quality will be better, and Ratings are even. What else do I have to say? :p

Naonak
September 4th, 2007, 01:58 AM
Definitely. Season 3 was disappointing - no point in denying it.
Yes there is. I thought it was very good, except for one or two episodes.

g.o.d
September 4th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Yes there is. I thought it was very good, except for one or two episodes.

I don't think so. It was the worst season. Utter rubbish full of stupid and incredibly boring episodes

SGFerrit
September 4th, 2007, 02:37 AM
Looking back at season 3, there are...

9 episodes I loved

6 episodes I liked

3 'meh' episodes

And 2 episodes I didnt like

So, overall, not great, but s3 was good for me. I enjoyed it more than season 2.

So far in s4 though, it sounds like there will be 20 episodes that I love:) I hope it is the same for many others here:)

Reefgirl
September 4th, 2007, 03:37 AM
I don't think so. It was the worst season. Utter rubbish full of stupid and incredibly boring episodes
*Round of Applause*

Well Said

Alipeeps
September 4th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Ummm... not to nitpick or anything but discussion of whether previous seasons were good or not is a) entirely subjective to the person posting the opinion, b) likely to lead to arguments and c) off-topic for this thread.

So, before we get modded, can I respectfully ask that we go back to discussing whether we think there will be a Season 5?

Linzi
September 4th, 2007, 04:32 AM
Ummm... not to nitpick or anything but discussion of whether previous seasons were good or not is a) entirely subjective to the person posting the opinion, b) likely to lead to arguments and c) off-topic for this thread.

So, before we get modded, can I respectfully ask that we go back to discussing whether we think there will be a Season 5?
*Round of applause*

Well said...;)

I still don't know whether there will be a Season 5, but I've got everything crossed that's physically possible...

Alipeeps
September 4th, 2007, 05:14 AM
I still don't know whether there will be a Season 5, but I've got everything crossed that's physically possible...

I have visions of you rolling around on the floor, stuck in some contortionist pose and unable to escape! :lol:

Linzi
September 4th, 2007, 05:30 AM
I have visions of you rolling around on the floor, stuck in some contortionist pose and unable to escape! :lol:
:eek:
Not a nice image, is it? :o I'd do it happily to get a season 5, though!

I still think the viewing figures of the first few episodes of season 4 will ultimately determine renewal or cancellation. I also think, though, that the publicity needs to be good, and I hope SciFi and MGM are doing their bit. Certainly, Sky One is doing theirs. We even got to see David Hewlett at the end of a marathon episode yesterday asking us to vote for our favourite episodes, which we will see the top ten of, I believe, in the week leading up to the season four premiere in the UK! I don't recall them doing that before! Let's hope Skiffy do some serious promotion in the next few weeks.

Alipeeps
September 4th, 2007, 05:34 AM
:eek:
Not a nice image, is it? :o I'd do it happily to get a season 5, though!

I still think the viewing figures of the first few episodes of season 4 will ultimately determine renewal or cancellation. I also think, though, that the publicity needs to be good, and I hope SciFi and MGM are doing their bit. Certainly, Sky One is doing theirs. We even got to see David Hewlett at the end of a marathon episode yesterday asking us to vote for our favourite episodes, which we will see the top ten of, I believe, in the week leading up to the season four premiere in the UK! I don't recall them doing that before! Let's hope Skiffy do some serious promotion in the next few weeks.

That's true actually... Sky usually treat Atlantis like the ill-favoured stepchild and never advertise it (and you can search Sky's website with a fine-tooth comb usually and be lucky to find even a mention of it!) so that is a good change...

Naonak
September 4th, 2007, 05:41 AM
That's true actually... Sky usually treat Atlantis like the ill-favoured stepchild and never advertise it (and you can search Sky's website with a fine-tooth comb usually and be lucky to find even a mention of it!) so that is a good change...
It's been the same for SG-1 for the last few years, except for 200 and Unending (which was still more than Atlantis got :rolleyes:).

Getting David to do the video seems to be... you know... taking an interest, so there might be some normal advertising as well when we get closer.

Linzi
September 4th, 2007, 05:41 AM
I know! I was really surprised, but pleased! It would be a first if Sky actually advertised SGA properly. Here's hoping they continue to do so, and actually show some promo vids? We didn't get any of those last year...

I hope Skiffy steps up with the advertising though. It's so important for renewal that they get the best viewing figures they can, and for that to happen people need to know know the episodes are airing in order to actually tune in and watch them!

walkoff2
September 4th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Hi, I just got done reading a Gateworld article on Michael Shanks and part of the article mentioned how S5 of Atlantis hasn't been picked up yet.... This sounds very very bad, so I am asking if anyone knows more on whether or not S4 is the final season.

Falcon Horus
September 4th, 2007, 04:30 PM
All of that, and more in the thread with almost the same name, down in the season 4 section of Stargate Atlantis.

Do you think there will be a season 5 of Stargate Atlantis? (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=45127)

Lord of Nightmares
September 4th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Ultimately, it'll all boil down to how well S4 performs, in addition to the licensing fees and such that MGM wants to charge if Skiffy does decide to renew the series.

Although from the way some of TPTB have been talking, it doesn't sound *too* optimistic right now (either Cooper or Wright has stated on at least one occasion that they don't believe Atlantis will ever run as long as SG-1), although there's always hope.

Jumper One
September 4th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Ultimately, it'll all boil down to how well S4 performs, in addition to the licensing fees and such that MGM wants to charge if Skiffy does decide to renew the series.

I think that much of the decision lays with the performance of the back end of Season Three as opposed to Season Four.

Starrtom
September 4th, 2007, 10:35 PM
If Atlantis doesn't last at least 5 seasons then I think it's the writers and producers fault. I think the concept of Atlantis is fantastic, but I feel that the writers just haven't pushed it far enough. It could be not only entertaining, but more cutting edge, they just haven't pushed the bounderies far enough.

Our hero's always win, our hero's do stupid things, our hero's create moral and ethical issues that the writers just haven't addressed. IMO good sci fi can address all these issues and the fans will relate to them with open heart. I feel we get patranised too much, there has to be more depth. From what I've read season 4 appears to address some of this stuff, I hope so.

Admiral Mappalazarou
September 5th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Well, I haven't seen season 4 yet but I want it to be the last. Season 1 was good, Season 2 was okay, Season 3 had some awful storylines (Vengeance being the only one that springs to mind at the moment), so season 4 better be impressive enough for me to change my mind.

Alipeeps
September 5th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Well, I haven't seen season 4 yet but I want it to be the last. Season 1 was good, Season 2 was okay, Season 3 had some awful storylines (Vengeance being the only one that springs to mind at the moment), so season 4 better be impressive enough for me to change my mind.

With respect - this thread isn't about whether you want there to be a season 5 or think there should be, but rather whether you think there will be.

It's not about judging previous seasons (except perhaps by accepted standards such as ratings which are likely to affect the probability of the show continuing) or posting personal opinions on whether the show should continue.

There are other threads for that. Let's not have this thread descend into another pro/anti argument.. please?

Martin Ingham
September 5th, 2007, 02:35 AM
It would be horrible if Atlantis didn't run at least 5 seasons. If Sci-Fi doesn't want to pick it up for the 5th season, I would hope another network would see fit to pick it up.

the_dark_light
September 5th, 2007, 03:55 AM
Ratings will determine it. Given that a fall in rating was the reason cited by sci-fi for pulling the plug. I suspect that season 4 may not prove as popular (due to some pretty substantial changes) and such a fall in ratings may cause the plug to be pulled again. Also factor in that there is SG Universe - will working on 2 shows again result in a drop of quality?

But of course it's not certain. Why I have suspicions that S4 may be the last, it's too early to tell for sure.

Sirick
September 5th, 2007, 05:36 AM
If they cancel Atlantis I will do all I can to get it back as I’m sure most fans would. Oh, a big march comes to mind…

justhere1971
September 5th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Ratings will determine it. Given that a fall in rating was the reason cited by sci-fi for pulling the plug. I suspect that season 4 may not prove as popular (due to some pretty substantial changes) and such a fall in ratings may cause the plug to be pulled again. Also factor in that there is SG Universe - will working on 2 shows again result in a drop of quality?

But of course it's not certain. Why I have suspicions that S4 may be the last, it's too early to tell for sure.

I think curiosity will play a huge role in the ratings for the season premiere. Hopefully there's just enough controversy surrounding Season 4 to garner better ratings. I am hoping for a season 5, simply because w/o SGA - there isn't one good show on skiffy. I have lost interest in Eureka - all plots seems rehashed from some other show.

Ravroz
September 5th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Like those ****ers at SciFi cared the last time we did that. I just hope that MGM didn't sign the type of contract with those losers that ultimately doomed SG1. Showtime was considering picking the show back up but couldn't. I would rather see the show on another chanel and see SciFi go down in flames from losing such a huge viewer base.

Briangate78
September 5th, 2007, 07:09 AM

Yup, and when I see SGA's 3rd season begin with a 1.5 HH and end with a 1.5 HH I think it's a good sign. Remember all the shows are down even the network leader Eureka which went from a Season one average of 2.1 to a Season 2 average to date of 1.6-1.7! So in common sense SGA really ended with a 1.8 HH. I call it the ratings curve. :p

Mike1989
September 5th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Hopefully we'll see Season 5, and if that's the final one and it ends with a bang then that's great. But if they want to end with Season 4 and it hasn't actually ended properly pretty much like SG1 with Season 10, then it's stupid imo. For me it would have been best for there to have been a Season 11 or something which ended SG1 which wasn't a rush job. Sure the film will be cool but i mean they are finishing what could have been a full season or two in a two hour film...and if the same happened to Atlantis then would i be the only one to wonder whether there is a point in having a third different TV series of Stargate???

stclare
September 5th, 2007, 09:26 AM
How late can scifi leave there decision? i ask because i think its obvious there will be an increase at the outset, but will they wait to see if it settles high or fans wander off, join later on etc then take the average ratings to make there decision?

Briangate78
September 5th, 2007, 09:34 AM
How late can scifi leave there decision? i ask because i think its obvious there will be an increase at the outset, but will they wait to see if it settles high or fans wander off, join later on etc then take the average ratings to make there decision?

They say they will take the back half of Season 3 which I think is BS because of the long hiatus. It will include the finale however for S3 which pulled in really good numbers, so that's a plus. T

They may not make a decision until November according to Joe M. So that's about 4 or 5 eps into the next season right?

So it's safe to say that SGA ended well with a 1.5, but it needs to continue that trend for the first few eps of Season 4!

stclare
September 5th, 2007, 10:58 AM
They say they will take the back half of Season 3 which I think is BS because of the long hiatus. It will include the finale however for S3 which pulled in really good numbers, so that's a plus. T

They may not make a decision until November according to Joe M. So that's about 4 or 5 eps into the next season right?

So it's safe to say that SGA ended well with a 1.5, but it needs to continue that trend for the first few eps of Season 4!

i wonder if 4/5 eps is long enough for the ratings to settle down and for scfi to have made sure the advertising is sufficent to draw in the sometime viewer. they better be some of the best of the 20 to grab and keep them viewers ;)

Briangate78
September 5th, 2007, 11:01 AM
i wonder if 4/5 eps is long enough for the ratings to settle down and for scfi to have made sure the advertising is sufficent to draw in the sometime viewer. they better be some of the best of the 20 to grab and keep them viewers ;)

Well I think The first ep is also a cliffhanger, meaning it's part 2 of 3. So that will keep viewers for at least another week.

jenks
September 5th, 2007, 11:38 AM

Joe Mallozzi said that they could get the decision as late as November...

Steve_the_Wraith
September 5th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Signs are good for a 5th season atm

In the television industry, 100 episodes is considered the "magic number" for sindication (enough episodes to show all the time without people getting bored), convienently the final episode of season 5 is episode 100. So MGM will probably be pushing for a 5th season

Atlantis ratings haven't been great but considering the only other popular shows with new episodes on Sci Fi atm are Eureka and Battlestar Galactica (ending after the upcoming fourth season), and nether of them have done much better ratings wise, Sci Fi can't afford to loose the shows it has.

Briangate78
September 6th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Why should SGA get a 5th season?

Sci-fi's shows

Battlestar Galactica - Ending next year
Mind Control with Derren Brown - Falls below top 10
Destination Truth - 1.1 season average
The Dresden Files - Cancelled
Eureka - Season average of 1.6 to 1.7 best show on network
Flash Gordon - Rating fail to make top 10
Ghost Hunters - 1.3 season average
Painkiller Jane- Cancelled
Dr. who - Falls Below top 10
Stargate Atlantis - 1.4 prev. Season average, falls as # 2 show for network
Stargate SG-1- Cancelled
Who wants to be a Superhero - Falls below top 10

Do I need to say anymore? lol!

Ruined_puzzle
September 6th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Actually I heard BSG was going to get stretched out. 10 episodes in 2008 and the last 10 in 2009. So it has two more years.

Briangate78
September 6th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Actually I heard BSG was going to get stretched out. 10 episodes in 2008 and the last 10 in 2009. So it has two more years.

That was a rumor started by some of the castmembers at the last con.

ToasterOnFire
September 6th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Actually, splitting up BSG into 2008 and 2009 is indeed being considered by skiffy. They've made vague comments about how BSG scheduling hasn't been finalized yet and they didn't outright deny the rumor. It's not definite, but certainly a possibility. The BSG actors sounded less than pleased at that con.

Sigh. :(

If the 2008/2009 scheduling goes through, who knows what will happen with Atlantis's schedule if it gets renewed. Maybe season 5 in 2009 as well? Or 2010? :S

Ruffles
September 6th, 2007, 01:35 PM
If the 2008/2009 scheduling goes through, who knows what will happen with Atlantis's schedule if it gets renewed. Maybe season 5 in 2009 as well? Or 2010? :S

:eek: Bite your tongue! Don't give them any ideas.

Platschu
September 6th, 2007, 01:43 PM
I think Scifi became bankrupt or they are near that condition. :( I wouldn't be surprised if this is the reason to half the new BSG season. But if it is true, they won't order season 5 or the new SG series. :S I hope I am not right. :o

Briangate78
September 6th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Actually, splitting up BSG into 2008 and 2009 is indeed being considered by skiffy. They've made vague comments about how BSG scheduling hasn't been finalized yet and they didn't outright deny the rumor. It's not definite, but certainly a possibility. The BSG actors sounded less than pleased at that con.

Sigh. :(

Actually if Season 4 ends in March, and season 5 starts in September 2008, BSG's first part would air anytime between that time. So when SGA 5th season ends the 2nd half of BSG would finish up in early 2009. Now that I think about it, they might be planning to set up BSG between SGA seasons. Well SGA did pull ahead of BSG in ratings last season.

ToasterOnFire
September 6th, 2007, 03:27 PM
:eek: Bite your tongue! Don't give them any ideas.
:jonas16: :D

Well SGA did pull ahead of BSG in ratings last season.
The two shows differed by 0.1 of a ratings point or less overall, a trivial amount.

Briangate78
September 6th, 2007, 04:56 PM
:jonas16: :D

The two shows differed by 0.1 of a ratings point or less overall, a trivial amount.

Yes, and BSG is ending by the producer's choice not Sci-fi's. I think BSG ending is going to help a SGA renewal, imo

Briangate78
September 7th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Why will there be a season 5 of SGA?

Battlestar Galactica opened season 3, part 2 with (1.3)1.8 million viewers and ended its season with (1.2)1.5 million viewers.

vs.

Stargate Atlantis opened season 3, part 2 with (1.4)1.9 million viewers and ended its season with (1.5) 2.0 million viewers.

Since Sci-fi will be looking at the back half of Season 3.

the dancer of spaz
September 7th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Battlestar Galactica opened season 3, part 2 with (1.3)1.8 million viewers and ended its season with (1.2)1.5 million viewers.

Really? Wow, I didn't realize BSG's performance was so low for their season finale.

It's interesting that SciFi may consider dragging BSG out, though I don't blame them. NBCUniversal seems to want to establish themselves as the reinvigorators of SciFi, what with Heroes, Bionic Woman and Journeyman. BSG definitely fits the mold as well.

Still, if BSG and Atlantis remain close in ratings, assuming there's no hanky-panky going on behind closed doors between MGM and SciFi, and if everyone's on the same page, I would not be surprised if Atlantis was renewed for a fifth season. But there's probably so much more to this issue than I think we all know about, so at the same time I would not be surprised if Atlantis was cancelled. :S

Briangate78
September 7th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Really? Wow, I didn't realize BSG's performance was so low for their season finale.

It's interesting that SciFi may consider dragging BSG out, though I don't blame them. NBCUniversal seems to want to establish themselves as the reinvigorators of SciFi, what with Heroes, Bionic Woman and Journeyman. BSG definitely fits the mold as well.

Still, if BSG and Atlantis remain close in ratings, assuming there's no hanky-panky going on behind closed doors between MGM and SciFi, and if everyone's on the same page, I would not be surprised if Atlantis was renewed for a fifth season. But there's probably so much more to this issue than I think we all know about, so at the same time I would not be surprised if Atlantis was cancelled. :S

See, this is why I've been so crazy about this, you know I am only trying to keep a postive attitude, so it's not like I'm flaming or anything. BSG lost viewers because of the show's story arc and direction. SGA did not really lose any viewers, it had a 5 episode dip with a 1.2 and a 1.1 for 2 eps. 2 million viewers were there for the Season premiere, mid-season finale, Part 2 premiere, and season finale. The reason for those dips was the 8 month hiatus. You know how many times I heard "Oh I saw that ep already, downloaded it off the net" :mckay:

Also i think that BSG 1.3 should be a 1.4, i think it was a rounded up 1.3, my bad.

ToasterOnFire
September 7th, 2007, 11:38 AM
See, this is why I've been so crazy about this, you know I am only trying to keep a postive attitude, so it's not like I'm flaming or anything. BSG lost viewers because of the show's story arc and direction. SGA did not really lose any viewers, it had a 5 episode dip with a 1.2 and a 1.1 for 2 eps. 2 million viewers were there for the Season premiere, mid-season finale, Part 2 premiere, and season finale. The reason for those dips was the 8 month hiatus. You know how many times I heard "Oh I saw that ep already, downloaded it off the net" :mckay:
The problem with this statement is that it's full of assumptions, including:

-The drop in BSG viewership was due to its story/writing (as opposed to its Sunday airing time or other factors).

-SGA did not lose viewers because of its finale rating (which was paired with the SG1 finale, the series finale of a 10 year show that would no doubt draw back old fans who were likely to stick around for SGA and artificially inflate ratings).

-The drop in SGA ratings was due to downloading (a claim perpetuated by Joe M. with zero stats put forth to back it up).

Briangate78
September 7th, 2007, 01:29 PM

-The drop in BSG viewership was due to its story/writing (as opposed to its Sunday airing time or other factors).

-SGA did not lose viewers because of its finale rating (which was paired with the SG1 finale, the series finale of a 10 year show that would no doubt draw back old fans who were likely to stick around for SGA and artificially inflate ratings).

-The drop in SGA ratings was due to downloading (a claim perpetuated by Joe M. with zero stats put forth to back it up).

Couple of rebuttles here. The 1.5 that SGA got was mostly SGA fans who watch the show on a regular basis. The 0.2 difference were the viewers who don't really watch SGA. Also, SGA saw a Part 2 season premiere with a 1.4, and again had a little jump for the 13th ep at a 1.3 where SG-1 had a 1.1. Here is the source.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2007/05/iatlantisi_ratings_improve_sligh.shtml

SGA was averaging a 1.6 season average while SG-1 had a 1.5. Now if you say what you say is true why would a show that was averaging higher ratings only get good ratings for the other show finale? Did not help PKJ. lol. My point is, with or without the SG-1 finale, that numbers would of been around the same viewership, imo

Here is the best part, you will love this. That 0.2 difference? Most of the viewers plus more will be watching SGA next season. Why? Because SG-1 is gone, and people want their SG fix. They will hopefully be very pleased with season premiere and Season 4. If it lives up to what I have read. If the season is spetacular, then that should keep ratings pretty solid.

You also said, downloading, yup I mentioned that about the long haitus. Totally agree. This is what people said "Screw you Sci-fi I am not waiting 8 months while the UK already saw the entire season, so I am downloading the eps" Now with no Hiatus, the show should keep solid ratings and viewers will not stray away.

My prediction is that the premiere will hit around a 1.6 to 1.7 and the season should even out around a 1.4 to 1.5. That should be enough to get a 5th season.

If we see those 1.1's and 1.2's again for the first 3 or so eps, then I am jumping on your boat my friend. :)

Mitchell82
September 7th, 2007, 03:54 PM

So is yours. I know many people including me that stopped watcing BSG because of the story. I was one of the many. Sunday may have had something to do with it but it wasnt the main cause. Your second statmenent confuses me as I don't get your point. Yur final claim is half right. It lost viewers due to the hiatus in which many incuding myself found other ways to watch it. Scifi would be fools to cancel SGA when it's ratings were higher than BSG and remained in their top 5.

Mitchell82
September 7th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Couple of rebuttles here. The 1.5 that SGA got was mostly SGA fans who watch the show on a regular basis. The 0.2 difference were the viewers who don't really watch SGA. Also, SGA saw a Part 2 season premiere with a 1.4, and again had a little jump for the 13th ep at a 1.3 where SG-1 had a 1.1. Here is the source.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2007/05/iatlantisi_ratings_improve_sligh.shtml

SGA was averaging a 1.6 season average while SG-1 had a 1.5. Now if you say what you say is true why would a show that was averaging higher ratings only get good ratings for the other show finale? Did not help PKJ. lol. My point is, with or without the SG-1 finale, that numbers would of been around the same viewership, imo

Here is the best part, you will love this. That 0.2 difference? Most of the viewers plus more will be watching SGA next season. Why? Because SG-1 is gone, and people want their SG fix. They will hopefully be very pleased with season premiere and Season 4. If it lives up to what I have read. If the season is spetacular, then that should keep ratings pretty solid.

You also said, downloading, yup I mentioned that about the long haitus. Totally agree. This is what people said "Screw you Sci-fi I am not waiting 8 months while the UK already saw the entire season, so I am downloading the eps" Now with no Hiatus, the show should keep solid ratings and viewers will not stray away.

My prediction is that the premiere will hit around a 1.6 to 1.7 and the season should even out around a 1.4 to 1.5. That should be enough to get a 5th season.

If we see those 1.1's and 1.2's again for the first 3 or so eps, then I am jumping on your boat my friend. :)

Agree with everyhting you said and I'll jump too if that happens but I serioulsy doubt it.

Briangate78
September 7th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Agree with everyhting you said and I'll jump too if that happens but I serioulsy doubt it.

I strongly believe that SGA will get at least a 5th season. When I look at all the other shows dropping like flies or not doing well at all, it makes me even more passionate about this.

Mitchell82
September 7th, 2007, 04:33 PM
I strongly believe that SGA will get at least a 5th season. When I look at all the other shows dropping like flies or not doing well at all, it makes me even more passionate about this.

Same here. WE must stick together and quash al unbelievers!

Briangate78
September 7th, 2007, 06:33 PM

The unbelievers have a right to thier opinion. They shoot back statistics and their reasoning, and I debate it back. It's very hard to see what everyone thinks. I don't think even Sci-fi knows what they are going to do yet.

Agent_Dark
September 7th, 2007, 06:44 PM

go tier2 with triple vet panzerschrek'd grenadiers + mp40 volksgrenadiers with LHS terror tree for tiger ace on them :) they got no hope :)

Ruffles
September 7th, 2007, 07:29 PM
The unbelievers have a right to thier opinion. They shoot back statistics and their reasoning, and I debate it back. It's very hard to see what everyone thinks. I don't think even Sci-fi knows what they are going to do yet.

It is not a matter of unbelief. Wishing it to be so will not make it so. I want a 5th season as much as everyone else. I am enough of a realist to recognize that comparing the ratings of SGA to other shows is a waste of time. It's not important how it compares to PKJ, Flash, Dr Who, BSG or ECW. It matters that the ratings are high enough to garner good advertising dollars.

I agree that SciFi doesn't know what it's going to do yet. I think they too are waiting to see how the first few S4 eps go. They may be the most brilliant episodes ever, but it won't matter if people don't watch in sufficient numbers.

SGA could be the highest rated show on SciFi, but if it doesn't make money it will get canceled.

ToasterOnFire
September 7th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Couple of rebuttles here. The 1.5 that SGA got was mostly SGA fans who watch the show on a regular basis.
How did you determine that?

SGA was averaging a 1.6 season average while SG-1 had a 1.5. Now if you say what you say is true why would a show that was averaging higher ratings only get good ratings for the other show finale?
Perhaps because it was the last episode of SG1 ever on TV, the last episode of a 10 year run. It was plugged constantly by skiffy. Look at SG1's 200th episode for a comparison. It also was heavily advertised, was a "nostalgia episode" for the fans, and had higher than normal ratings. SGA also had higher than normal ratings for their corresponding episode - the highest rated episode in s3. I don't think that the 200 and finale ratings are a coincidence.

Here is the best part, you will love this. That 0.2 difference? Most of the viewers plus more will be watching SGA next season.
That remains to be seen.

You also said, downloading, yup I mentioned that about the long haitus. Totally agree. This is what people said "Screw you Sci-fi I am not waiting 8 months while the UK already saw the entire season, so I am downloading the eps"
There are still no hard numbers to verify these claims, only anecdotes.

Now with no Hiatus, the show should keep solid ratings and viewers will not stray away.
True, the lack of hiatus will mean that TPTB will have to find something else to blame if the ratings tank. Pirates perhaps?

I admire your optimism. :)

So is yours.
I'm not presenting my opinion as fact. I'm pointing out the lack of data in his statements and providing alternative possible explanations.

I know many people including me that stopped watcing BSG because of the story. I was one of the many.
This is anecdotal. The plural of anecdote is not data.

Sunday may have had something to do with it but it wasnt the main cause.
Proof?

Yur final claim is half right. It lost viewers due to the hiatus in which many incuding myself found other ways to watch it.
Again, that statement is anecdotal.

HD89
September 8th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Dude (ToasterOnFire)...

Your "realism" is a bit over-whelming..

I, for one, think that there will be atleast another season (as i've said before)