PDA

View Full Version : How long will the movies be?

Eadres
June 24th, 2007, 08:49 PM
I have been searching and have not found any official info on the run time of the upcoming movies. Anybody have a solid idea?

Locutus_Of_Borg
June 24th, 2007, 08:54 PM
It all depends on their budget, but I think they said it's just over 2 episodes worth. I can't be a 100% sure though.

jenks
June 24th, 2007, 09:18 PM
All they have said basically, is that it makes a nice change not having to edit down to fit in a certain time slot like they do with TV, other than that I haven't heard anything, I'd imagine they'd be as long as the average movie...

June 25th, 2007, 03:03 AM
yeah i'd say they were probably written as approx a 2 part episode length, or maybe a little more, and then any scenes that run long etc are probably less likely to be cut down. so i would imagine the movies will be somewhere between 90 and 110 minutes long. thats what i think anyway.

B O Y S C O U T
July 5th, 2007, 04:08 PM
JM said in his blog that the movies are somewhere solidly between 90 and 120 minutes :)

the fifth man
July 5th, 2007, 06:21 PM
JM said in his blog that the movies are somewhere solidly between 90 and 120 minutes :)

That still makes me smile.:) I'm really relieved that they aren't going to be really short films.

Beckmen
July 5th, 2007, 06:23 PM
My prediction is AOT will be 87 minutes long. No idea about Continuum, probably around there. We'll see. I hope I am wrong, because if they are 'two episodes long' length it will kind of feel cheap. Somether closer to 120 minutes would make it feel more...real....

Adria
July 5th, 2007, 06:25 PM
i heared 2 hours each not count extra features

the fifth man
July 5th, 2007, 06:26 PM
i heared 2 hours each not count extra features

I hope we get quite a few extra features with each film. That would just make things that much sweeter IMO.:)

Adria
July 5th, 2007, 06:28 PM
I hope we get quite a few extra features with each film. That would just make things that much sweeter IMO.:)

well you know Continuum will going to the Arctic and all :S

Daniel Jackson
July 6th, 2007, 08:03 PM
The news articles have described the movies as being two hours, but ultimately being as long as the story dictates rather than as long as the TV network dictates.

Dutch_Razor
July 7th, 2007, 01:30 AM
420 minutes divided in parts of 42 minutes would be nice :P

SanctuarySarah
July 7th, 2007, 04:42 AM
anywhere between 1 1/2 and 2 hours would be great! (for each one ........obviously!)lol
and extras!..........loads of extras,love my Stargate extras :jack:

Daniel Jackson
July 7th, 2007, 06:16 AM
420 minutes divided in parts of 42 minutes would be nice :P
We're getting two movies, not ten episodes.

jenks
July 7th, 2007, 06:30 AM
That's the sound of Dutch_Razor's comment going straight over your head :p

Oreo
July 7th, 2007, 06:48 AM
I doubt they will be two hours long, at the most 105 minutes long, but I'll be amazed if they are longer than 90 minutes.

Daniel Jackson
July 7th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Why not two hours?

jenks
July 7th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Joe Mallozzi said they'll be 'filmly inbewteen 90 and 120 minutes'.

Daniel Jackson
July 7th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Link?

jenks
July 7th, 2007, 08:04 AM
http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2007/07/july-3-2007.html

Daniel Jackson
July 7th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Thanks. That seems to be the standard length for the direct-to-video movies... 90-120 minutes where as the theatrical movies seem to be 120+ these days.

Beckmen
July 7th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Theatrical films are widely diverse in their running times. Anything from like 80 minutes (Master of Disguise) to 201 minutes (LOTR: Return of the King).

Direct to video movies are usually 80-110 in my experiance.

Daniel Jackson
July 7th, 2007, 08:08 PM
I suspect direct-to-video movies are shorter due to the smaller budget. Still, so long as it's 90+ minutes, it should be long enough to allow them to a good SG-1 story. :jack:

the fifth man
July 7th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Still, so long as it's 90+ minutes, it should be long enough to allow them to a good SG-1 story. :jack:

Of that, I have no doubt.:)

Captain Chaap
July 8th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Well Lost City from season 7 was supposed to be a stargate movie so i think it'll be around as long as that.

Vala_M
July 8th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Well Lost City from season 7 was supposed to be a stargate movie so i think it'll be around as long as that.

I hope not. Because that would be the same as getting 4 episodes. I hope they're at least 2 hours long.

Vala,

Beckmen
July 8th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Lost City was never produced as a movie, though. They used the script that was supposed to be a movie, modified it, and then shot, edited, ect as a two-parter.

Ugly Pig
July 9th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Also, while I don't know this for a fact; it seems to me that 'Lost City' had a lot cut out of it to make it fit into the running time of two standard episodes. More than usual, there are dialogue scenes that appear edited, plus we already know there was supposed to be a scene where SG-1 parachute into the hole in the ice that didn't get shot.

paulschapman
July 13th, 2007, 05:11 AM
I have been searching and have not found any official info on the run time of the upcoming movies. Anybody have a solid idea?

88minutes?

That would be a '2 hour movie' with 16 minutes each hour given over to adverts. Most of the US DVD's in my collection tend towards 44 minutes per episode for the same reason.

Daniel Jackson
July 13th, 2007, 08:28 AM
The movies are being made for a video release, not for TV, though they will air on TV later on just like theatrical movies eventually get release to DVD and then air on TV.

If the movies were to be made for TV, they'd be two hours with 18 minutes of commercials per hour (SG-1 episodes are 42 minutes long) making each movie roughly 84 minutes long, the same length as "Lost City." However, the movies are being made for a DVD release, they will not be locked down to a specific run time. Each movie will probably be between 90 and 120 minutes long. Most movies I've seen that got released directly to video usually had a run time of about 100 minutes, but some of them have been as long and as high quallity as theatrical movies.

I'm sure both movies will be amazing. :D

JSPuddlejumper
July 15th, 2007, 05:54 AM
I like to have a 3 hour movie =)

Calhoun
July 16th, 2007, 12:40 PM
I like to have a 3 hour movie =)

Three hours would be too long; a good movie needs pacing, fast enough to maintain interest, but not so fast that you confuse everyone.

Perfect example: "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy were three of the most praised films of recent years... and yet, even with brilliant writing and beautiful special effects, they were too long and complicated for many people (if the number of people leaving halfway through or asking each other "So what's going on now?" in loud voices in the cinema is any indication :mad: ).

90 to 120 minutes sounds about right, and I'll trust TPTB to get the length right for the stories they're telling. Remember "Threads"? I can't think off the top of my head of another example of a TV show being allowed a non-standard length episode just because the producers wanted to tell the story right.

Beckmen
July 16th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I didn't think the LOTR movies were too long at all. Even the Extended Editions are pretty well-paced, IMO. People just don't have good enough attention spans, and don't like to have to concentrate.

What length the movies are would depend on the script. A 3-hour SG movie would work, if the script had enough going on it. Look at the BSG Miniseries, that was 3 hours long and paced pretty well, because the script was designed that way.

Ganthet Jr.
July 20th, 2007, 07:30 AM
I just hope they don't pull a George Lucas and take out important scenes just for the sake of maintaining a pre-determined time limit. Episode III had the potential for brilliance, but so much was taken out (including a plotline leading up to the formation of the Rebel Alliance).

If it's not very long, that's okay, as long as they didn't limit themselves for the sake of a specific time limit.

Beckmen
July 20th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Yeah, GL kind of got nuts with his pacing obsession. The prequels should have been longer, as long as they needed to be to tell the story. You can extened the movies by adding the deleted scenes back in, but there's still a lot of missing footage.