Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The more we know about the Ancients the less Powerful they seem?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The more we know about the Ancients the less Powerful they seem?

I remember when I first watched SG-1 the idea of the Ancients was very intriguing. The way they were explained early on gave the viewer a sense of wonder and power. Now as we have shifted focus to the Ancients in Atlantis we are getting a better look at what they were and while they were definitely powerful they seem less so the more information we get. I guess that is in part because the mystery is disappearing but in reality to the Ancients as they have been depicted really seem so above the Asgard or the Nox. Sure a case can be made but all that is speculation, when the Asgard said that information held in one of those head sucker brain changers was infinite that leaves an expectation that can’t really be met in Atlantis. I realize that this is only a show but at most the Ancients seem to be a couple thousand years ahead of us not a few million since we can’t perceive such a time frame as is depicted in the Stargate universe. It seems that something more like Taken where their evolution has lead to a loss of all other possibilities would be a more interesting long term story rather than some new tech, the ability to heal and a new bad guy. While there have been instances where the technology seems to be close to the standard of the mythos of the Ancients most of it doesn’t. Looking back I think it would have been better if the writers separated the Ancients from us by several hundred thousand years rather than a million it just seems more real. While saying millions adds a certain intangible mystery it really doesn’t seem to be that probable. For me Atlantis is about exploration and brings back a sense of wonder while at the same time taking it away and I and I know that all of us will enjoy the ride.

I can’t wait to see where the Stargate universe goes next it is sure to be one great ride.

you make a very interesting point. But I also have noticed that the tollan too are very advanced, very possibly many thousands of years. Not to mention how long it must have taken the ancients to build the stargates thorugh trial and error and even to the most basic of safty precautions the gate has. It seems it took a very long time to install a whole network and to make it last many hundreds of thousands to millions of years is incredible. Wouldn't you say that if the ancients did intend to lead their ancestors back to the city that they would at least put any weapons or dangerous ships/technologies hidden, so their less advanced ancestors (us) wouldn't use them improperly (i.e blow the city up or even accidently destroy a planet and so on) . I mean the show has yet to scratch the surface on what the ancients have and who they really are.

Comment

Writers, are only mortal afterall. There is a limit on what they can fabricate. They probably want to keep Atlantis at a level where it does not seem too far fetched. I suspect if we actually encounter a race that is million years ahead in technology, everything they do would seem like magic. Think about Nox, a wave of hand and something happens. An ultra light armor that cloaks, and levitate and with a point of a finger the enemy explodes into pieces.

Ok...maybe that'll be fun but it will be too easy.

"ARRRG! My dry cleaning bill this month is over $10,000!"

Comment

It's a pity, having our own technological development impede the imagination

Ah, so many things in society that stunt the growth of technology. <sigh>
        sigpic

Comment

There is the old line, "Any technology sufficiently advanced from a primative human will seem like magic." This is handled nicely with the Nox, which makes me think they are actually quite a bit more advanced than any of the other races we've encountered.

Comment

i think the problem is we dont know the time line of the ancients , i think they we advanced when they settled in atlantis, but learned to acsend after they returned from atlantis, when they became all powerful n all knowing.

Comment

Working...
            X