X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Season 4 Will 'Do Better' than S3

Hi all -

With so many threads dedicated to discussing things we've been teased about, know very little about, or frankly just guess about, I wanted to stick my lemming head up and mention why I think the series will do better in season four.

This is not a Pro this, or Anti that thread. It's the gut feeling thread.

It's a gut feeling, modified a bit by reading the threads here - or reading Joe Mallozzi blog about his love of fine food, pugs, chocolate and behind the scenes tidbits. (Note: his reviews of local restaurants are damn fine)

It's a feeling that it's time as a series may have come.

New cast members. Substantive stories, and characterizations. New possibilities. Air dates that coincide roughly in all three markets (less time for illegal dl'd). No competition from it's sister program.

Heck, I've even convinced a few people to actually watch it by having them download the last episode (legally), and shared the episode at home on the DVR (yes, that's legal too). First Strike was awesome, and laid the groundwork for an exciting S4.

As for ratings - I will not attempt to understand how the PTB utilize ratings along with whatever druid-like examination of entrails to determine a shows success. That has been argued in other threads - but simply put - my goal is to get more people watching it.

It worked for Jericho (why isn't Jerciho getting it's own forum?). Yes, I sent nuts too. And the same blokes that have watched First Strike with me, have also caught the last few Jerichos. They're excited, and will watch the reruns this summer.

Anyways - Here's to believing in a successfull 4th season for Atlantis.

Tech Junkie

PS. There is a new series from the UK called 'Primeval'. It's played in Canada - and was quite good. Check it out on DVD - well worth it.

Now, upgraded with 1 forum demerit point for the use of sarcasm.
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."

Ambassador Koch, Believers, 1.10 B5

it will do better cause people like to watch a train wreck
    Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
    ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
    Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

I expect a rise in quality from past seasons, but I'm not sure how well (or if at all) the ratings will reflect this, as there seems to be a downward trend in ratings across the board. I suppose time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
        LOL. The negative ones always reply first.

Comment

I read somewhere that for 2008 TV Season or around there the ratings system are going to be changed with how they view ratings

Comment

I'm looking forward to it.

Don't get me wrong, Seasons 2 and 3 were good, but they weren't really...well, THAT good. There were certain episodes that I enjoyed greatly, but taken as a whole, those 2 seasons were basically just a conglomeration of random stories.

What's really pulling me into Season 4 is the hints of an organized arc that will run throughout the season, as well as the promise of more details about the Wraith and the Asurans, both of which were sorely lacking in the last 2 seasons besides a few high points (i.e. Common Ground). The addition of Carter and Keller, both portrayed by excellent actresses that have more than proven themselves in the past, as well as the changing of the guard behind the scenes, really adds a sense of unpredictability to this season. It won't be the same-old-same-old, as far as I can see.

So really, this is a season of changes, and I can't wait to see what's going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
              {Mod Snip}

I do think the new season will do better and be better, the producers are no longer trying desperatly to make 2 shows at once. From reading Joe Mallozzi's blog, I get the impression that this season seems more thought out and planned than previous seasons
              Last edited by TameFarrar; 25 June 2007, 06:50 PM. Reason: stick to debating the opinion not the member style of posting
              sigpic

Comment

I certainly hope it'll do much better. However, with all the fans they have angered with certain changes to the cast, it may already be too late to get the ratings up high enough to keep the show going strong into a fifth season. Which is what I would very much like to see.

I'll admit, I'm not happy about certain changes. But I resign myself to watch with optimism, hopefully it will be better.
                SHEPPARD: You, Elizabeth, Ronon, Carson, even Rodney, are the closest thing I have to a ...

TEYLA: A family?

SHEPPARD: I'd do anything ... for any one of you.

Stop breaking up our family!

Save Weir and Beckett

Comment

Originally posted by Starxgate View Post
                  I read somewhere that for 2008 TV Season or around there the ratings system are going to be changed with how they view ratings
                  As far as season 5 is concerned it won't matter, the decision will be made by how well the last few eps of season 3 have done and the first few of season 4 unfortunatly...

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                    As far as season 5 is concerned it won't matter
                    I wasnt talking about Season 5 I was talking about in general & in the end I think it will matter. Depending on how high the numbers go when the new system starts. If Season 5s fate depends on the last few of Season 3 then Sci-Fi is really ****ing stupid. But we knew that anyway about Sci-Fi.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonEagle View Post
                      I certainly hope it'll do much better. However, with all the fans they have angered with certain changes to the cast, it may already be too late to get the ratings up high enough to keep the show going strong into a fifth season. Which is what I would very much like to see.

I'll admit, I'm not happy about certain changes. But I resign myself to watch with optimism, hopefully it will be better.
                      Fan anger is always misjudged, and over-hyped. Remember the save Tascha Yar campain? No, although it was there. Ratings for TNG were up the next season.

The loss of Carson was a little unnecessary, but Weir's departure seemed right. At least she's not dead.

The mission keeps evolving, and with the focus now on the Atlantis mission, it's time for a leadership change. And a it's time that Atlantis produces more results for Earth, other than finding even more enemies.

Comment

Originally posted by techjunkie View Post
                        Fan anger is always misjudged, and over-hyped. Remember the save Tascha Yar campain? No, although it was there. Ratings for TNG were up the next season.

The loss of Carson was a little unnecessary, but Weir's departure seemed right. At least she's not dead.

The mission keeps evolving, and with the focus now on the Atlantis mission, it's time for a leadership change. And a it's time that Atlantis produces more results for Earth, other than finding even more enemies.
                        True, they are over-hyped. But there are several fans of both Carson and Weir that have said the series is essentially over for them and will not be watching s4. My point was that that may result in a ratings drop by the first half of the season and by the time some of the fans may come around it might be too little too late.
                        SHEPPARD: You, Elizabeth, Ronon, Carson, even Rodney, are the closest thing I have to a ...

Save Weir and Beckett

Comment

Originally posted by DragonEagle View Post
                          But there are several fans of both Carson and Weir that have said the series is essentially over for them and will not be watching s4
                          Please they may not admit it but you know they will tune in out of curiosity & if they do not tune in then will their lost they can find new shows. Stargate Atlantis is def being advertised alot better. Probably due to MGM & not Sci-Fi. I see Stargate Atlantis ads on a bunch of various sites all of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Starxgate View Post
                            Please they may not admit it but you know they will tune in out of curiosity & if they do not tune in then will their lost they can find new shows. Stargate Atlantis is def being advertised alot better. Probably due to MGM & not Sci-Fi. I see Stargate Atlantis ads on a bunch of various sites all of the time.
                            Some may, and some may not. Carson was a very well loved character, and there were many people that watched the show just for him.

Advertising is always something that I thought SciFi could have done more on, so that's good news at least.

Another thing I hope they get through their heads is to not take a six month break in the middle of the season. That was definitely the best way for them to have lost viewers for s3.

Save Weir and Beckett

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy
                              just saying how i feel, if you don't like it...to darn bad.
                              Your entitled to your opinion but your going to have to back that opinion up

Snarkly saying its going to be a trainwreck and then leaving isn't enough, give reason ie.
                              I think its going to be a train wreck because I think the cast changes will hurt the show or because I feel that people who don't like SG-1 will not watch
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X