X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weir's change in character?

SPOILERS - SG1 - 7X21 - 7X22 and 801- 802 and Atlantis 1-10

Ok I got hooked on Atlantis, but then went back and watched SG1 the Lost City and New Order...it seems like the character went through quite a bit of changes..

She started out as a blonde bombshell diplomat who really didn't have any interest in the Stargate program..then she ran it..then she left it to oversee the Antarctic Outpost as a diplomat..

Now she's a full blown scientist? I always assumed her PHD was in something other than science, but in the Rising she was excited as all the other braniacs about finding Atlantis. Then she said something like, "I never imagined I would find the Lost City in such perfect condition.." That didn't bother me when I first watched it, but after seeing the SG1 stuff, I'm thinking, "Since when? You're a glorified diplomat?"

Was my view towards her misleading at all?

Don't get me wrong I love the character, but it's weird..maybe I shouldn't have gone back and watched that stuff.

Perhaps she's excited because Atlantis is really cool? She says flat out in Home that she is not a scientist,
    Spoiler:
    Well, McKay's delusion says it, but still
    . And the actress has said in interviews that the PhD is in political science.

I'm a historian and I'd find it really cool. That doesn't make me a scientist.

As for the chance between Lost City and Rising one can only guess that the TPTB decided that when they changed the actor they wanted the character to go in a different direction. That's not really surprising.

Comment

hahaha yeah that's true. I'm a student working as a stock clerk part time and I'm excited about it too.

I guess I am glad that I watched those eps because they really show her diplomatic skills. Especially in New Order...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Seven
        SPOILERS - SG1 - 7X21 - 7X22 and 801- 802 and Atlantis 1-10

Ok I got hooked on Atlantis, but then went back and watched SG1 the Lost City and New Order...it seems like the character went through quite a bit of changes..

She started out as a blonde bombshell diplomat who really didn't have any interest in the Stargate program..then she ran it..then she left it to oversee the Antarctic Outpost as a diplomat..

Now she's a full blown scientist? I always assumed her PHD was in something other than science, but in the Rising she was excited as all the other braniacs about finding Atlantis. Then she said something like, "I never imagined I would find the Lost City in such perfect condition.." That didn't bother me when I first watched it, but after seeing the SG1 stuff, I'm thinking, "Since when? You're a glorified diplomat?"

Was my view towards her misleading at all?

Don't get me wrong I love the character, but it's weird..maybe I shouldn't have gone back and watched that stuff.
        There is nothing inconsistent about any of what you mention. 'The whole blond bombshell' (as you so eloquently put it) went out when they recast the character. Everything else has been fairly consistent.

When we first meet her she knows nothing of the Stargate and it takes her awhile to realize it's importance. Once she does she willingly takes over the SGC. Her background makes her a qualified administrator on a project of that nature, which is why the president picked her.

Then things change. O'Neill becomes a hero, is given command of the SGC and Weir is shuffled off to Antarctica and that leads to Atlantis. By now she understands perfectly what is at stake and is slowly becoming a more capable leader (as opposed to being an administrator which is not exactly the same thing).

When they go to Atlantis, they go to find 'the Lost City'. Of course she will have had some hopes and expectations as to it's conditions. And when they find it intact (even if batteries are not included) of course she is going to be happy and excited about that. Just makes sense.

So far the writers have hit a few bumps on her path to becoming a good leader. Partly this is because of conflicts between her and Sheppard (not between the characters, but between the roles the writers are molding for them).

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Seven
          hahaha yeah that's true. I'm a student working as a stock clerk part time and I'm excited about it too.

I guess I am glad that I watched those eps because they really show her diplomatic skills. Especially in New Order...
          Which is why its such a shame to see the other guys stuffing up all the trade negotiations. Weir should go through the gate on occasions, so what if Hammond never did, its situations like these where her expertise is needed.

Comment

I want Weir to be a martial arts champion. No kidding. That would be a full character, able to fight and mentally able to build peace. Wow!

I want here to begin right now, defeating kolya physically, and resuming peace with the Genii. That would rock.

Full of potentialities for the next episodes.
            No rep points, I'm out of the Karma now. No title would be perfect.
            I apologize for not having time to read everything, and missing relevant contributions.
            Please don't read my posts as important about real life issues, and don't reply as such.

Comment

Originally posted by Furling God
              I want here to begin right now, defeating kolya physically, and resuming peace with the Genii. That would rock.
              The Storm/The Eye cormment. Spoilerific.

I really am hoping that they let her save herself from the Genii. Give the action people a reason to like her. Make her not seem totally helpless. She doesn't need to be a martial arts champion, but just not a damsel in distress.

Comment

Originally posted by Otiman
                Which is why its such a shame to see the other guys stuffing up all the trade negotiations. Weir should go through the gate on occasions, so what if Hammond never did, its situations like these where her expertise is needed.
                No kidding. That would solve a LOT of the problems some people seem to have with her.

Comment

Working...
                X