PDA

View Full Version : Stargate movies to DVD - BAD IDEA

revo1059
June 23rd, 2007, 12:01 PM
and here's why,

With how movies are downloaded on the web now, sales for the DVD are not going to reflect how well the movies do. A fair amount of people who watch this type of show are technologically profecient enough to download it from somewhere instead of paying for it. I think that for X # of people who pay for the DVD there will be a much bigger X who just download it, so when the decision makers look at the #'s to determine if they should make more, the #'s won't be accurate at all.

Just my .02

g.o.d
June 23rd, 2007, 12:26 PM
TV series can be downloaded as well. I believe many people won't miss a chance to have SG DVD in their library. I will buy AoT DVD.

jenks
June 23rd, 2007, 12:37 PM
TV series can be downloaded as well. I believe many people won't miss a chance to have SG DVD in their library. I will buy AoT DVD.

Exactly. Loads of people download the episodes, yet the series still sells really well on DVD, and according to TPTB, if the movies sell as well as the series MGM will definatly be eager to order more. I suppose we'll have to wait and see, but I think it's highly likely that the movie sales will be similar to the series ones, if not better.

and here's why,

With how movies are downloaded on the web now, sales for the DVD are not going to reflect how well the movies do. A fair amount of people who watch this type of show are technologically profecient enough to download it from somewhere instead of paying for it. I think that for X # of people who pay for the DVD there will be a much bigger X who just download it, so when the decision makers look at the #'s to determine if they should make more, the #'s won't be accurate at all.

Just my .02

They're a business, it really won't matter if more people download than buy, as long as they still make money.

revo1059
June 23rd, 2007, 01:10 PM

Yes, but most people don't have to specificly pay to see the series, just turn on the TV and there it is, but people will have to go and buy the DVD to see it.

sandyer
June 23rd, 2007, 01:21 PM
If you have something agaist internet piracy don't read

I have all of the the episodes downloaded but that doesn't stop me from still watching stargate on cable and I will be buying the DVDs so...

P-90_177
June 23rd, 2007, 01:27 PM
errrrm well i'll tell you a secret........I do download episodes. or at least get a mate to download them then i get them off him. but i'll still watch episodes when they're on tv even if i've seen the episode before cos it's better quality and a different experience on the whole.

I also buy all the dvd's cos i want a complete collection.

Platschu
June 23rd, 2007, 01:36 PM
I think they know that 90% of the fandom will download them at first. But the films can be successful, if the rest buy them or others change their mind after piracy watching. If we count with only 20 million SG fans around the globe at least, than try to imagine 2 million sold copies. If they earn only 3 dollar per a DVD from the 30 dollar price, than they gave back their 6 million dollar. I hope more fan will buy it and their profit is also bigger than 3 dollar. They will get money from the first airing from TV channels too. ;) So the SG movies are good idea. We get bigger, longer, more entertaining and spectacular stories. The staff will have job and MGM won't risk big money, because they have to invest "only" 6-6 million dollar. Don't forget that an average season cost around 40 million dollar! :cool:

Steve_the_Wraith
June 23rd, 2007, 03:49 PM
Your forgetting that the quality of most downloads is crap

Alot of people buy the discs because they want the episodes to look good (and it frees up disc space)

angelfire east
June 23rd, 2007, 04:07 PM
I think if htey put some really good wroth while excats on the dvds it could take care of the problem caused by people downloading.

The only time I've ever realy seen a huge problem with downloading is right now, but I blame the people at Sci Fi not really the downloaders. There was sucha huge wait and they showed both shows over seas so people just downloaded the episodes and now we have low rating. I know that isn'y the only reason the rating are low but it a part of it. And I hope that doesn't mean we won't get a season 5.:(

prion
June 23rd, 2007, 04:14 PM
and here's why,

Just my .02

I see it as a good idea, although I would have preferred it be on TV first. Yes, so many people will download, but a lot is made on DVD sales too.

Plus now that the movies are on DVD, the writers should be adding more depth, action, etc. to the stories as they're no longer dependent on being an episodic series, and have no censors per se. So if someone gets punched, they can actually get a bloody nose, rather than not (which isn't very realistic).

SG13-NightOps
June 23rd, 2007, 04:29 PM
and here's why,

Just my .02

I think you will find that the "Gaters" will do a "Browncoats" on this one.

They will buy it, because they want more. The only way to get more is to Pay for the ones currently available.

Serenity was made because Box sales of firefly were through the roof. Serenity II was reliant on box office takings and DVD sales. If another one is going ahead we dont know - but I dont think there is a browncoat out there without an original copy of Serenity, and an old serenity movie ticket (or ten).

I know I will buy them both - from the US as soon as they are released. I can download as easy as anyone else too.

There is also the case that some will download to see if its any good. If it is, then they will buy for the aforementioned reason.

Whether or not it works, remains to be seen.

Heffa
June 23rd, 2007, 05:26 PM
Im going to buy them for sure, although there will be various ways to download it etc.

In my opinion the writers,actors and the rest of the crew deserve that at least....in the end they gotta eat and live ...that's just my two cents.

Peace

jenks
June 23rd, 2007, 05:32 PM
Yes, but most people don't have to specificly pay to see the series, just turn on the TV and there it is, but people will have to go and buy the DVD to see it.

And yet they still sell a hell of a lot of season DVD's, especially in Europe, apparently.

saberhagen83
June 24th, 2007, 01:07 AM
TV shows and movies are always downloaded from the net. But if people really like it they will very likely buy it. There is a reason Stargate has done well on TV over the years despite the p2p, and it is still selling very well on DVD! So if people really like it they will buy it in the end, or most of them will anyway. The extras and stuff is harder to find on the net, and most people that bother buying a DVD set really want it cause 1, they like the show & 2, they want to watch the extras. :) I may have got every single SG ep from the net, but I still bought the boxes cause I loved the show and I love watching the extras. I even bother wathing it on TV here every day, despite I'm not counted in ratings...still my DVD discs get some time to recover. :D

Not even everyone that watch a show or movie on TV will go out and buy it on DVD. It's just the way of life, you can buy it or not, no one will force you to do anything.

FallenAngelII
June 24th, 2007, 01:14 AM
<snip> yet I own Stargate DVDs. The only reason I've stopped buying them is because I'm waiting for a possible series boxset.

P-90_177
June 24th, 2007, 01:18 AM
wouldn't expect that for a while.

Maltrancko
June 24th, 2007, 01:18 AM
if my purchase is the one that gets it over the mark and gets new movies or any form of renewed SG1 in any way i will be buying it, i dont care so long as i have it... its the only way to complete the collection

Falcon Horus
June 24th, 2007, 03:03 AM
I think you will find that the "Gaters" will do a "Browncoats" on this one.

This Gater won't do a Browncoat, certainly when the quality is only so-so.
Have to add I didn't care about SG-1's cancellation either.

There is also the case that some will download to see if its any good. If it is, then they will buy for the aforementioned reason.

Yes, exactly the way it will go down here. No intention of spending money on something that isn't worth it.

And yet they still sell a hell of a lot of season DVD's, especially in Europe, apparently.

Because most of us Europeans don't get to see the new seasons 2-3 years after they first premiered. Season 2 of Atlantis is about to start on TV here today. And the DVD's have been out since February I think.

PengYn
June 24th, 2007, 04:43 AM
As far as I am aware, and please feel free to correct me if the stats have changed, but the Stargate franchise is MGM's second most successful. The first being James Bond. Even where television ratings have dropped, dvd sales have increased. There will always be Internet downloading, no matter what show or movie it is. For me what makes the dvd's so special is the extras - the commentaries, the behind the scenes, the diaries. And I think that's something that make the dvd's special for a lot of people - it certainly reflects in the sales figures.

reiella
June 24th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Personally, I just hope to see it on one of the new higher-def disc formats myself :).

Vala_M
June 24th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Downloading to "keep" is stupid. I don't mind downloading the episodes to watch once, as in a crappy youtube copy (They don't let you upload them anymore so I'm not giving anyway anyone) just to see it once then I wait until it's on TV, record it then I buy the DVD's when they come out. I hate downloading those 400 MB downloads for many reasons, firstly, because it wastes your disk space, secondly, because it wears out your computer parts faster (We all know how long they last these days) and many other reasons.

Plus, I don't see how they're going to make the decision by this fall to make more movies when the first one won't even be out until the next year.

Vala,

jenks
June 24th, 2007, 10:22 AM
It does seem weird, but I suppose if they were confident enough to make two, what's a few more? I really don't think there's much chance of them not making money from them...

SG13-NightOps
June 24th, 2007, 09:34 PM
This Gater won't do a Browncoat, certainly when the quality is only so-so.
Have to add I didn't care about SG-1's cancellation either.
Well I guess we have to leave it up to the individual Gaters opinion about the quality.
Not sure where your opinion about SG-1's cancellation came from. I dont recall asking for it?

For the record, I know Browncoats who did Not like Serenity. Yet they all went to see it. It helped them form that opinion. I based my suggestion on that fact of knowing that there are those who dont like it. They do still have a copy and movie ticket tho, because they still want more.
You will find the Save Our Stargate people just as resourceful as any Browncoat. You may find that a lot of them are the same people at that! *raises hand*

Yes, exactly the way it will go down here. No intention of spending money on something that isn't worth it.
And so I was right about two people now with my possible scenarios! You and Me. :)

Because most of us Europeans don't get to see the new seasons 2-3 years after they first premiered. Season 2 of Atlantis is about to start on TV here today. And the DVD's have been out since February I think.

Not much better in Australia. I buy them because I want them. Box sets are not cheap enough to spend money on if they are "not worth watching".

For P-90_177. There is already a Season 1-9 Series Set (http://i12.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/a1/ab/ff2d_1.JPG) available. I would have got it, but that would have been a waste given they still have to release the Full Series set.

Locutus_Of_Borg
June 24th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Yeah Australia is different to the rest of the world.

But fact is, people don't just want to watch the movie on DVD...generally we want to see it bigger or something, MGM would be making a lot more money if it was a new feature film.

June 25th, 2007, 03:23 AM
personally, if they were shown on TV before being released on DVD i'd be more likely to download it, because in the UK i assume those in the US will get the showing on Tv long before we do, whereas a DVD release can be easier to synchronise, so noone is partuiculalrly ahead

ARMS
June 25th, 2007, 03:34 AM
I'd prefer to buy the DVD's but if there's an oppurtunity to download them for free, I'd take it, DVD's cost hundreds of times their actual worth, and I'm skint!!

Falcon Horus
June 25th, 2007, 04:03 AM
Not sure where your opinion about SG-1's cancellation came from. I dont recall asking for it?

Don't know why I put it there either, but I think I meant to point out I don't really care for the films all that much. The only woohoo-effect I had so far was when reading....

Spoiler for Continuum:

Nirrti would be back.

But fact is, people don't just want to watch the movie on DVD...generally we want to see it bigger or something, MGM would be making a lot more money if it was a new feature film.

I think a feature film would mean the end.

To go back to the Serenity example... It wasn't released in many European countries or it was but only available for a week or two. I saw it twice but I had to drive two hours out to catch it in the big city cinema. And I was spoiled rotten because Nathan Fillion assumed at the Serenity 2 convention everyone had seen it.

I just don't think there's audience, apart from the established Gaters. It wouldn't make much profit if it were a feature film.

P-90_177
June 25th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Don't know why I put it there either, but I think I meant to point out I don't really care for the films all that much. The only woohoo-effect I had so far was when reading....

Spoiler for Continuum:

Nirrti would be back.

I think a feature film would mean the end.

To go back to the Serenity example... It wasn't released in many European countries or it was but only available for a week or two. I saw it twice but I had to drive two hours out to catch it in the big city cinema. And I was spoiled rotten because Nathan Fillion assumed at the Serenity 2 convention everyone had seen it.

I just don't think there's audience, apart from the established Gaters. It wouldn't make much profit if it were a feature film.

It's certainly the same problem Star Trek Films keep having. and there are even more Star Trek fans then gate fans.

FallenAngelII
June 25th, 2007, 10:16 AM
It's certainly the same problem Star Trek Films keep having. and there are even more Star Trek fans then gate fans.
You mean besides the shoddy writing and the fact that the DVD boxsets costs approximately 133% as much as a Stargate DVD boxset?

editorguy
June 25th, 2007, 11:56 AM
This is why I feel my job is an important one:

See, as some of you know.. Im the editor of the Special Features on all the discs, and I feel like my job is to make it even that much better of a reason to buy the discs. I mean, yeah it's my job and I like to be paid for my job but onestly, I m not doing this for the paycheque.

I like making the Special Features. I like making the little title effects and all that stuff that makes it worthwhile for you guys to buy the discs, so that when you decide to put those shiny discs on your shelf.. theres more than just the episodes...

It just makes it worth it. :)

June 25th, 2007, 12:03 PM
special features do rock, thats for sure

P-90_177
June 25th, 2007, 12:30 PM
You mean besides the shoddy writing and the fact that the DVD boxsets costs approximately 133% as much as a Stargate DVD boxset?

to be fair you can currenhtly get entire seasons of ds9 and tng for £30.

IcyNeko
June 25th, 2007, 12:38 PM
I download episodes as well. Mainly because I make videos. I did it with SG-1 and Heroes.

if my purchase is the one that gets it over the mark and gets new movies or any form of renewed SG1 in any way i will be buying it, i dont care so long as i have it... its the only way to complete the collection

If my buying the video can inspire TPTB to shoot the writing staff and get a new one, then heck, I'm in.

SG13-NightOps
June 25th, 2007, 05:08 PM

See, as some of you know.. Im the editor of the Special Features on all the discs, and I feel like my job is to make it even that much better of a reason to buy the discs. I mean, yeah it's my job and I like to be paid for my job but onestly, I m not doing this for the paycheque.

I like making the Special Features. I like making the little title effects and all that stuff that makes it worthwhile for you guys to buy the discs, so that when you decide to put those shiny discs on your shelf.. theres more than just the episodes...

I am a Special Features nut. However, I am not shy to say that IMO, the absolute best extra on a disc is Outtakes. Outtakes and Deleted Scenes will always encourage me to spend extra on that "2 disc special edition".

clinker42
June 25th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Lots of people i know download it of the net, only because in Australia we are so far behind.

But as soon as the DVD is released we all still buy it.

SG13-NightOps
June 25th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Lots of people i know download it of the net, only because in Australia we are so far behind.

But as soon as the DVD is released we all still buy it.

Damn Straight we do!

FallenAngelII
June 26th, 2007, 04:52 AM
to be fair you can currenhtly get entire seasons of ds9 and tng for £30.
Not all of them. At least the Stargate boxes drop in price as time goes. The Star Trek ones take much longer (especially considering all of them have been canceled).

Yes, we love those little extra things you guys add. Just one thing:
Would it be too much work (and disc space) to have a feature where, upon loading a disc, you can choose whether or not to play the nifty little sequence before you get to the main menu.

They're nice and all but it can get tiring after watching them again and again and again. So let us choose to view it or go directly to the main menu. Some of these pre-main menu sequences are quite long (not talking about Stargate). I've seen DVDs with sequences longer than 2 minutes (like The Lion King Special Edition DVD).

gtcway
June 26th, 2007, 04:57 AM
I've downloaded episodes that I missed when they aired on Scifi and if the movies are available to download before the DVD release I will definately download it. However, as soon as it is out, I will order the DVD. $20-$40 is a small price to pay for the chance of more movies and I'll have all of the extras. I might even buy a couple more to give as gifts to help out;)
I haven't bought any seasons on DVD yet but plan to start soon:)

FallenAngelII
June 26th, 2007, 05:01 AM
I've downloaded episodes that I missed when they aired on Scifi and if the movies are available to download before the DVD release I will definately download it. However, as soon as it is out, I will order the DVD. $20-$40 is a small price to pay for the chance of more movies and I'll have all of the extras. I might even buy a couple more to give as gifts to help out;)
I haven't bought any seasons on DVD yet but plan to start soon:)
Unless someone leaks them, the first chance one will get to see the movies will be through the DVDs. They're getting release in late 2007 followed by possible television broadcasts.

jenks
June 26th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Unless someone leaks them, the first chance one will get to see the movies will be through the DVDs. They're getting release in late 2007 followed by possible television broadcasts.

2008 ;)

talyn2k1
June 26th, 2007, 06:26 AM
I personally download all of the episodes as soon as they are aired in the US, then watch them on Sky One when they first run here (before we overtake America and if the other half will let me :() then I will also buy the DVD boxsets when they come out.
I will also watch the endless repeats that Sky One shows (again, when the other half doesn't steal the remote) simply because I love watching Stargate. Episodes I found funny/exciting when they first came out, I still find funny/exciting even after watching them many, many times.

I like to own the DVDs, not just for the better quality and the DVD extras, but also cos my Stargate DVD collection looks really good on the shelving in my living room.

When the movies comes out I will no doubt download them as soon as rips from the US version begin appearing on the net but then I will buy them as soon as they appear on the shelves over here because I want to own them. That, and knowing that buying them increases the chance of more being made, there's no way I`m going to risk being one of the lost sales that prevents them from getting the green light to make more.

Only DVDs I don't have to date are SG-1 vol 37 which I am planning to get off ebay when I get back from holiday and have some more money, and the Atlantis S2 set which I had to forfeit buying when it came out so I could get my kitchen plastered! :( That one will be on my birthday list in September.

Home ownership really stands in the way of my developing DVD collection these days!

FallenAngelII
June 26th, 2007, 07:00 AM
2008 ;)
Yeah, just saw that the date's been changed. They were talking about a late 2007 release but now it's gonna be an early 2008 release.

flynn1959
June 26th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Yeah, just saw that the date's been changed. They were talking about a late 2007 release but now it's gonna be an early 2008 release.

That's a real shame, you would think that they would try to get them out in time for Christmas.:S

Falcon Horus
June 26th, 2007, 07:28 AM
That's a real shame, you would think that they would try to get them out in time for Christmas.:S

Their loss.

Briangate78
June 26th, 2007, 07:46 AM
and here's why,

Just my .02

Well Season 10 of SG-1 and Season 3 of Stargate Atlantis are both in the Top 10 DVD sales on Amazon.com. Season 10 in fact was at # 2. People buy the DVDs not for just the viewing but also for the collection. A downloaded movie is not something tangible, also it may not be available for download, well LEGALLY.

I think we will see many more movies, and in fact will help fuel the new series, which may very well end up on Scifi to run along Atlantis, like how Atlantis ran along SG-1.

The franchise is far from over and in fact has just gotten started. :p

Daniel Jackson
June 26th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Making SG-1 movies is a bad idea? Should they all just stop making movies then? If people are going to engage in illegal behavior, let the law handle it unless you personally know the person in which case you are ethically obligated to try to make them stop.

I think SG-1 movies are a fantastic idea. I've been waiting for an SG-1 movie ever since there were rumors of Stargate: The Lost City following the Season 6 finale "Full Circle." Now instead of one movie, we're getting two with talks of a third. Woo-hoo! :D

By the way... I have Seasons 1-8 of SG-1 on DVD with plans to buy Seasons 9 & 10. I also have Season 1 of Atlantis on DVD with plans to buy Seasons 2 & 3. Finally, I have the movie on DVD with plans to buy the two SG-1 movies. :)

Briangate78
June 26th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Making SG-1 movies is a bad idea? Should they all just stop making movies then? If people are going to engage in illegal behavior, let the law handle it unless you personally know the person in which case you are ethically obligated to try to make them stop.

I think SG-1 movies are a fantastic idea. I've been waiting for an SG-1 movie ever since there were rumors of Stargate: The Lost City following the Season 6 finale "Full Circle." Now instead of one movie, we're getting two with talks of a third. Woo-hoo! :D
The DVDs for Stargate always sell well. I think the movies will do well also. So we can very well see like 2 movies a year, that is so Freakin Sweet! :p

One movie has to be about the Asgard Legacy! That is a must! :)

Daniel Jackson
June 26th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Spoilers for SG-1's final episode!
The Asguard died out in the final episode of SG-1, so I don't think they can make an Asguard movie. :S

Briangate78
June 26th, 2007, 08:23 AM
The Asguard died out in the final episode of SG-1, so I don't think they can make an Asguard movie. :S

They have their knowledge and legacy in the Odyssey's computer. This is Scifi, I mean anything is possible. :)

Falcon Horus
June 26th, 2007, 08:24 AM

Half of what died over the years will be back in Continuum. I don't see the problem.

Briangate78
June 26th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Half of what died over the years will be back in Continuum. I don't see the problem.
Yes, good point like...

Nirriti :)

Akai
June 26th, 2007, 08:33 AM
I download episodes myself, but only because I don't like watching TV (commercials, etc), and I don't feel like waiting months to watch episodes that have aired in other parts of the world. I still buy the DVD's when they come out though, because the downloaded episodes are VERY poor quality compared to DVD. I store the downloaded episodes on my computer until I get the DVD's, at which point I delete them. I don't need downloaded episodes anymore once I have the DVD's.

FallenAngelII
June 26th, 2007, 09:14 AM
[B]Well Season 10 of SG-1 and Season 3 of Stargate Atlantis are both in the Top 10 DVD sales on Amazon.com. Season 10 in fact was at # 2. People buy the DVDs not for just the viewing but also for the collection. A downloaded movie is not something tangible, also it may not be available for download, well LEGALLY.
The fact that Season 10 of Stargate SG-1 is in the no. #2 spot speaks volumes since it's not even out yet (set for release in September).

This means that on pre-orders alone, it's in the no. #2 spot.

Briangate78
June 26th, 2007, 09:49 AM
The fact that Season 10 of Stargate SG-1 is in the no. #2 spot speaks volumes since it's not even out yet (set for release in September).

For it to be in the top 10 this early, is a good sign. Look what DVD movies or TV series they are up against. That has to mean something. :)

Vala_M
June 26th, 2007, 10:42 AM

That's great news! I wasn't aware of that but that's great.

Vala,

jenks
June 26th, 2007, 10:19 PM

That's what I was thinking, but if it means they're better quality, I'm all for it.

flynn1959
June 27th, 2007, 12:28 AM
That's what I was thinking, but if it means they're better quality, I'm all for it.

True. Still seems like a long time to wait though!

kymeric
June 30th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Not everyone is a THEIF

Exiled Master
June 30th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Your forgetting that the quality of most downloads is crap

Alot of people buy the discs because they want the episodes to look good (and it frees up disc space)

That's because avi is one of the the dominant media container formats. Matroska has great quality, but the files are bigger. By the way, I don't download Stargate stuff. I watch it on Scifi even though it's got a lot of s***wizards there.

saberhagen83
July 1st, 2007, 12:21 AM
Downloading to "keep" is stupid. I don't mind downloading the episodes to watch once, as in a crappy youtube copy (They don't let you upload them anymore so I'm not giving anyway anyone) just to see it once then I wait until it's on TV, record it then I buy the DVD's when they come out. I hate downloading those 400 MB downloads for many reasons, firstly, because it wastes your disk space, secondly, because it wears out your computer parts faster (We all know how long they last these days) and many other reasons.

I don't agree on that. 350MB avi files are good enough quality to watch on a 32" TV that I have. And why waste discspace? I have all episodes on DVD discs, 2 disc for each season and a disc costs next to nothing. I don't see it as stupid as I think many people use them to make vidoes, it's much easier than converting the actual DVDs. I still have them around, for videomaking and before I could afford the boxsets they could be used to view on TV whenever I felt like it. Now I have SG1 S1-8/SGA S1 on DVD, and 10 years late, they are finally shown on TV here too. And I watch them there too, even though I don't actually count in ratings. :)

Xeon_1
July 6th, 2007, 12:10 AM

they are almost never any stargate dvd's in the shop's here
afther they are put on the shelves it takes a week or two and they are all gone and the shop's have to waith a few months for new ones

ashman2
July 7th, 2007, 11:13 AM
I plan on buying every series on DVD, except I wait until the boxsets are as cheap as I think they'll ever get. Like amazon.co.uk put Atlantis Season 1 up as £14. It was a mistake, I got an e-mail stating that, but they didn't realise until after they had sent it, so I got it, but whenever the series are around £22, which is rare mind you, I'll pick one up. Eventually I will have the whole series. I understand the arguments for not buying the DVDs, but for me I like knowing that I have good quality proper versions of it that can be watched anywhere that has a DVD drive rather than just on my computer.

Lightbane
July 9th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Well if your talking about legal copies its so very easy to log onto the US Amazon website and get the boxset of whatever mailed to you especially when the box set is released before the season even starts.

petemoretti
July 9th, 2007, 06:30 AM

I won't buy something just because it's labelled "Stargate" - hence I din't buy S9-10 (though I've seen a couple of episodes). My buying of the movies is solely dependant on whether or not they properly solve the Sam and Jack ship... (So far based on the current spoilers I don't think I'll buy them...).

jenks
July 9th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Who's to say there's anything to 'solve'?

petemoretti
July 9th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Who's to say there's anything to 'solve'?

I am! In order for them to get my money they have to get Sam and Jack together! That's the only thing I care about in the current mess that is "Stargate" right now IMHO...

jenks
July 9th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Well Jack's not in the first one, and I think it's an AU Jack in the second one.

adria'shusband
July 12th, 2007, 06:26 AM
i download only cause im in aus and we r so alow down ere but once they r out i buy the season on dvd so if the movies come quicker then tv den i will 4 sure buy the dvd downloaded movies r always have poor backlight and r **** to watch so my opinion its good for the show i think will go for another 10 years easy

Sechemech-Ib
July 12th, 2007, 03:48 PM
I'll buy the movies for sure when they come out. I don't download stuff 'cos frankly I've better things to do with my disc space than fill it up with poor quality c**p. My son downloads movies (usally ones that he's already seen) but I can't watch them as they become "spoilers" for me. If I'm gong to watch something I'm going to watch it right...on a good TV with a big bar of chocolate and a glass or two of Mr. Smirnoff's best! :)

I've started collecting the DVDs of SG1 and its so nice to have a Stargate marathon now and then (commercial free). The movies will make a nice addition to that. I only hope that they can keep up a decent standard of story telling by continuing into movies. I'd hate to end up feeling the same way about Stargate as I did about the Star Trek Movies (kind of *yawn* ..oh no not another one!).

And really... talk about shooting a movie possibility in the foot...
Killing off the Asgard in season ten made no sense IMHO. I know they can bring them back if they want to... but playing the ressurection card too many times gets a bit repetitive

Annnywho... Stargate is about to start on "Space" in a few minutes so I'm off.

Cheers :)

TheReturnOfTheLantian
July 17th, 2007, 02:59 PM
and here's why,

Just my .02

well tbh if you think about it how many stargate fans are out there? millions? well less then half would be gay and download it. but its there choice but id rather have to original copy on my shelf with all my stargate season's they have a copy and id keep them till i die. and they shall be going with me in my grave tbh

PG15
July 17th, 2007, 03:08 PM
What does being homosexual have to do with downloading?! :confused:

-[SpArkY]-
July 18th, 2007, 09:53 AM
If the movies get released here in belgium on the same date as Usa, I'll go buy them immediatly!

Though if it's months later (which might be the case), I'll download first just to see it and when it's out here I'll buy them.

I do the same thing with the episodes, got season 10 (sg1) and season 3 (sga) on my hard drive untill the dvd's get released

OpTiKaL
July 19th, 2007, 02:38 PM
If it comes out in the US before UK, then im going to download it, then buy it when i can in the UK. These kinds of things are the main reasons for internet piracy

kymeric
July 19th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Not all of us are stinking theives. Pay for wut u take. They used to cut off your hand for that.

-PITBULL-
July 24th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Myself i'm buying the DVDs for my personal collection . But i do know what you mean . Yes there are people out there that do download the movies to a website for others to steal , Like torrent files and other files . Yes i have done this myself , yet i still by the DVDs few good reasons ...

1. the movie you download never has extras , even the small extras .

2. I don't enjoy watching all my movies on my laptop , yet there are a few times i use it at work to watch movies ...

As for STARGATE TV Series and the new movies , well i'm one of millions of fans that are going to buy that movie on DVD for my collection . Now i need to start buying the STARGATE ATLANTIS series on DVD ...

petemoretti
July 24th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Really bad idea releasing them next year...

jenks
July 24th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Myself i'm buying the DVDs for my personal collection . But i do know what you mean . Yes there are people out there that do download the movies to a website for others to steal , Like torrent files and other files . Yes i have done this myself , yet i still by the DVDs few good reasons ...

1. the movie you download never has extras , even the small extras .

2. I don't enjoy watching all my movies on my laptop , yet there are a few times i use it at work to watch movies ...

As for STARGATE TV Series and the new movies , well i'm one of millions of fans that are going to buy that movie on DVD for my collection . Now i need to start buying the STARGATE ATLANTIS series on DVD ...

If you download the DVD it does.

-PITBULL-
July 24th, 2007, 07:17 PM
If you download the DVD it does.

Alot of people that setup the DVD downloads take out the extras . as least the ones that i have seen ...

cavalierlwt
July 29th, 2007, 01:20 PM
A good DVD with a ton of extras, priced right, will fly off the shelves. Yeah, there will be some pirating, but most of those people are people who were never going to pay money in the first place. Also, some people will let a friend borrow it, etc.

But here's the upside: Every DVD sold puts money directly in the pocket of MGM. I'll buy a DVD, and I'll know it rewards MGM for making it in the first place.

When SG-1 is shown on TV, it does not matter whether or not I watch it: I'm am not part of the Nielson ratings system, I'm not a Nielson household.
I'm not saying that ratings are worthless, but I do think the process of true number of viewers, ratings systems, ad revenues, demographics-target market etc is a pretty upredictable and not necessarily fair. Getting properly paid from this system is even shakier.

While nothing is perfect, I honestly think the makers of SG-1 stand a better chance of reaping a reward from DVDs then they do via the SciFi channel.
I like the feeling of this simpler system, for this case anyway.

dec55
July 29th, 2007, 03:55 PM
and here's why,

Just my .02

They already do it with theatrical movies....so it doesn't matter in that point.

DVD buying fans are different....they actually want the product...they want DVDs, and
the box art work....and the little stuff written on it...

They want it as a collectors item..... So I will disagree with you here.

If they don't like the show...they won't buy anything of the show.

stewsith
August 5th, 2007, 11:19 AM
as long as they release the dvds in the uk at the same time as america there shouldnt be too many downloads.

Falcon Horus
August 5th, 2007, 11:33 AM
as long as they release the dvds in the uk at the same time as america there shouldnt be too many downloads.

And everywhere else in the world of course.