X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate movies to DVD - BAD IDEA

and here's why,

With how movies are downloaded on the web now, sales for the DVD are not going to reflect how well the movies do. A fair amount of people who watch this type of show are technologically profecient enough to download it from somewhere instead of paying for it. I think that for X # of people who pay for the DVD there will be a much bigger X who just download it, so when the decision makers look at the #'s to determine if they should make more, the #'s won't be accurate at all.

Just my .02

TV series can be downloaded as well. I believe many people won't miss a chance to have SG DVD in their library. I will buy AoT DVD.
    Stolen Kosovo
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
      TV series can be downloaded as well. I believe many people won't miss a chance to have SG DVD in their library. I will buy AoT DVD.
      Exactly. Loads of people download the episodes, yet the series still sells really well on DVD, and according to TPTB, if the movies sell as well as the series MGM will definatly be eager to order more. I suppose we'll have to wait and see, but I think it's highly likely that the movie sales will be similar to the series ones, if not better.

Originally posted by revo1059 View Post
      and here's why,

With how movies are downloaded on the web now, sales for the DVD are not going to reflect how well the movies do. A fair amount of people who watch this type of show are technologically profecient enough to download it from somewhere instead of paying for it. I think that for X # of people who pay for the DVD there will be a much bigger X who just download it, so when the decision makers look at the #'s to determine if they should make more, the #'s won't be accurate at all.

Just my .02
      They're a business, it really won't matter if more people download than buy, as long as they still make money.

Comment

Yes, but most people don't have to specificly pay to see the series, just turn on the TV and there it is, but people will have to go and buy the DVD to see it.

Comment

If you have something agaist internet piracy don't read

Spoiler:
          I have all of the the episodes downloaded but that doesn't stop me from still watching stargate on cable and I will be buying the DVDs so...
          I doubt my sanity; then again I doubt yours as well!

Comment

errrrm well i'll tell you a secret........I do download episodes. or at least get a mate to download them then i get them off him. but i'll still watch episodes when they're on tv even if i've seen the episode before cos it's better quality and a different experience on the whole.

I also buy all the dvd's cos i want a complete collection.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I think they know that 90% of the fandom will download them at first. But the films can be successful, if the rest buy them or others change their mind after piracy watching. If we count with only 20 million SG fans around the globe at least, than try to imagine 2 million sold copies. If they earn only 3 dollar per a DVD from the 30 dollar price, than they gave back their 6 million dollar. I hope more fan will buy it and their profit is also bigger than 3 dollar. They will get money from the first airing from TV channels too. So the SG movies are good idea. We get bigger, longer, more entertaining and spectacular stories. The staff will have job and MGM won't risk big money, because they have to invest "only" 6-6 million dollar. Don't forget that an average season cost around 40 million dollar!
              Last edited by Platschu; 23 June 2007, 02:16 PM.
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Your forgetting that the quality of most downloads is crap

Alot of people buy the discs because they want the episodes to look good (and it frees up disc space)
                sigpic

Comment

I think if htey put some really good wroth while excats on the dvds it could take care of the problem caused by people downloading.

The only time I've ever realy seen a huge problem with downloading is right now, but I blame the people at Sci Fi not really the downloaders. There was sucha huge wait and they showed both shows over seas so people just downloaded the episodes and now we have low rating. I know that isn'y the only reason the rating are low but it a part of it. And I hope that doesn't mean we won't get a season 5.
                  Ben Browder on who'd win a fight, Mitchell or Critchon..."Cameron would have the upper hand until Aeryn kicked his ass."

Comment

and here's why,

Just my .02
                    I see it as a good idea, although I would have preferred it be on TV first. Yes, so many people will download, but a lot is made on DVD sales too.

Plus now that the movies are on DVD, the writers should be adding more depth, action, etc. to the stories as they're no longer dependent on being an episodic series, and have no censors per se. So if someone gets punched, they can actually get a bloody nose, rather than not (which isn't very realistic).

Comment

and here's why,

Just my .02
                      I think you will find that the "Gaters" will do a "Browncoats" on this one.

They will buy it, because they want more. The only way to get more is to Pay for the ones currently available.

Serenity was made because Box sales of firefly were through the roof. Serenity II was reliant on box office takings and DVD sales. If another one is going ahead we dont know - but I dont think there is a browncoat out there without an original copy of Serenity, and an old serenity movie ticket (or ten).

I know I will buy them both - from the US as soon as they are released. I can download as easy as anyone else too.

There is also the case that some will download to see if its any good. If it is, then they will buy for the aforementioned reason.

Whether or not it works, remains to be seen.
                      : I would very much like to have a weapon such as this.
                      : Yeah, Get in line.

Comment

Im going to buy them for sure, although there will be various ways to download it etc.

In my opinion the writers,actors and the rest of the crew deserve that at least....in the end they gotta eat and live ...that's just my two cents.

Peace

Comment

Yes, but most people don't have to specificly pay to see the series, just turn on the TV and there it is, but people will have to go and buy the DVD to see it.
                          And yet they still sell a hell of a lot of season DVD's, especially in Europe, apparently.

Comment

TV shows and movies are always downloaded from the net. But if people really like it they will very likely buy it. There is a reason Stargate has done well on TV over the years despite the p2p, and it is still selling very well on DVD! So if people really like it they will buy it in the end, or most of them will anyway. The extras and stuff is harder to find on the net, and most people that bother buying a DVD set really want it cause 1, they like the show & 2, they want to watch the extras. I may have got every single SG ep from the net, but I still bought the boxes cause I loved the show and I love watching the extras. I even bother wathing it on TV here every day, despite I'm not counted in ratings...still my DVD discs get some time to recover.

Not even everyone that watch a show or movie on TV will go out and buy it on DVD. It's just the way of life, you can buy it or not, no one will force you to do anything.

Comment

<snip> yet I own Stargate DVDs. The only reason I've stopped buying them is because I'm waiting for a possible series boxset.
                              Last edited by Skydiver; 25 June 2007, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X