This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bioware's Sonic The Hedgehog

For all of those fans of Bioware, creators of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Neverwinter Nights. It's been announced that the company responsible for those excellent RPG video games, has just gotten ahold of the rights to develop Sonic RPG, for the Nintendo DS.

I kid you not. It's very true. Personally, I think it's great considering that the majority of the new Sonic games are crap (Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Battle, Sonic Adventure DX etc).

I know that Bioware will do an amazing job on it.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=6091&Itemid=2

Thoughts?
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

cool. most new sonic games are pretty crap hopefully this will be better. i love sonic adventure 2 though.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Well if it's the same team that made KotOR then the storyline is bound to be awesome. Just so long as they give Robotnik his name back because 'Eggman' sounds awful.

Did anyone read Sonic the Comic when they were younger? The storylines used to be awesome!!
      I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic

Comment

The last time I played a Sonic the Hedgehog game was on the Megadrive a decade ago, so I can't really comment on the later versions.

As for the new game, I was a bit surprised to read that the new Sonic would be an RPG. Role Playing Games are usually slower-paced that need a LOT of patience and time, while Sonic was all about speed, speed and more speed. I suppose I could see it working as a story-driven game. The developers would still have to keep an element of speed in there to make it feel like a Sonic game. Speed is his trademark, after all.

edit: Aye, I wondered why his name was changed to Eggman. It was Robotnik when I played the game.
        "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

If you want to play all the old Genesis/Mega Drive games, go here:

http://www.thesmartass.info

Look at the top right of the screen and you'll see some little symbols for both Genesis and SNES...clickety on those and you'll be able to play LOADS of games
          sigpic
          Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

The newer Sonic's are really made for kids, so storywise it's nothing special. I just hope that in this new one, they make it so that Sonic doesn't speak...because his voice is well annoying. And in the megadrive ones when he was silent, we could stick our own personality to him and stuff...back when he was cool lol

In the newer games, he's more of an annoying rebellious teen out to rid the world of Eggman and his flying death machines...I really hope the new one has a good story like the old Death Egg from Sonic 2 and 3...That would be fantastic.

EDIT: It would be nice to see a dramatic change in gameplay, speed is his trademark...but Mario RPG turned out magnificent. So this one should be amazing too. Although Bioware didn't make Mario RPG, they are responsible for some of the best storylining and gameplay in any computer games (KotOR is extraordinary)

Anyway, here's more information;

Mario RPG: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_rpg

Knights of the Old Republic (KotOR):
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KotOR

sigpic

Comment

as much as I love Sonic the Hedgehog I cant see him working as an RPG at all

Aye, I wondered why his name was changed to Eggman. It was Robotnik when I played the game.
              because Eggman WAS his original name America changed to Robotnik way back when the original Sonic game was released

you can even see ''eggman'' plastered on the side of the Egg fortress in Sonic 2

and if your wondering why he was orginally called eggman *points to the fact his body is the shape on an egg* plus he has a weird obsession with Eggs... *points to everything he has made with Egg in its name*

The newer Sonic's are really made for kids, so storywise it's nothing special. I just hope that in this new one, they make it so that Sonic doesn't speak...because his voice is well annoying. And in the megadrive ones when he was silent, we could stick our own personality to him and stuff...back when he was cool lol

In the newer games, he's more of an annoying rebellious teen out to rid the world of Eggman and his flying death machines...I really hope the new one has a good story like the old Death Egg from Sonic 2 and 3...That would be fantastic.
              I'm sorry but Sonic 2 and S3+K had a good story since when? as they hardly have a story especially Sonic 2 (S3+K did improve it a bit but it was mostly Knuckles showing up like the sneaky SoB he was back then and owning you with a trap untill Eggman betrays him)

as for Sonic has always been shown as the rebellious Teenager either in the Comics/Cartoons and even in the games with some of his idle animations

as for this game... I'll most likely skip it and wait for Sonic Rush Adventure
              Last edited by kharn the betrayer; 21 June 2007, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Every now 2D Sonic game has sucked, and even several of them did.

Comment

Originally posted by kharn the betrayer View Post
                  I'm sorry but Sonic 2 and S3+K had a good story since when? as they hardly have a story especially Sonic 2 (S3+K did improve it a bit but it was mostly Knuckles showing up like the sneaky SoB he was back then and owning you with a trap untill Eggman betrays him)
                  For the time of game it was, it portrayed the story great without having any of the characters say anything. The type of dialogue that's in the more modern games is awful, IMO.

I know, Sonic is aimed for kids but the stories I used to read in the comics were fantastic...Hell, they even dived into a massive ancient war between to Echinda's and a group of fish-like people (one of them had Chaos captive).

I have high hopes for Bioware's new one though, I mean I can just imagine roaming the floating island and uncovering ancient ruins and hidden Echinda Palace's (Like the ones where the chaos emeralds were stored in Sonic 3)...And hopefully it'll dive into an ancient echinda prophecy (like Chaos in Sonic Adventure, only it shouldn't have the crappy 'I'll be good now' ending). And maybe, they'll bring Metallix back into his cool form (from Sonic CD).

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Oreo View Post
                    Every now 2D Sonic game has sucked, and even several of them did.
                    I disagree. Sonic Rush and Sonic Advance aren't bad games (Yes, awful story I know) but still, gameplay-wise they're good.

I was always a big fan of the old retro sonic games, Sonic CD having a great soundtrack, gameplay and story.

For those who don't recall;

A small planet appears above Moebius once every year known as the Miracle Planet, and this year Robotnik see's his chance to create a world in his image. So he flies up to the Miracle Planet and steals the time gems (like chaos emeralds) and goes back to the when the small planet had just been born, and starts putting machines down.

Back in the present, Sonic see's the Miracle planet as a huge metal moon above the planet under Robotnik's control, and all of the animals and creatures there have been imprisoned in his evil robots. So Sonic goes up there and after a few levels in the the huge metallic fortress, he finds a time gem and uses it to go back into the past and destroys the machines in the parts of the planet he has aleady visited, changing the state of the planet in the future.

Robotnik see's his metal world changing and sends Metallix (or Metal Sonic as he's known in the modern games) back in time to stop him.

Such a great frakking game.

sigpic

Comment

as Much as I love Metal Sonic with what Sega did to him in sonic heroes I wouldent want him back unless done right (none of this ''I AM TEH REAL SONIC!!!!!!'' crap)

and he hasnt been called Mettalix since the english version of the Sonic Cd manual either(none of the English manuals where exactly accurate untill)... Sonic R, Sonic the Fighters and Sonic Jam both called him Metal Sonic and those games are older than Sonic Adventure is (so I wouldent exactly call them ''modern'')

and as for Sonic Cd's OST

the English/Japanese OST is downright Amazing... the American Sonic CD OST was horrid T_T why did they feel the need to change it? the OST was perfect as it was

I know, Sonic is aimed for kids but the stories I used to read in the comics were fantastic...Hell, they even dived into a massive ancient war between to Echinda's and a group of fish-like people (one of them had Chaos captive).
                      they have an online continuation of that comic actually and its rather decent(better than the horrid Archie Comics IMO...)

http://www.stconline.co.uk/

I do have to admit some of the things in StC where great (love their interpretation of Super Sonic) hell most of the things in StC where great till they started reprinting old storylines in new comics... and the Sonic Adventure adaption(god I hated that adaptation)
                      Last edited by kharn the betrayer; 22 June 2007, 07:49 AM.

Comment

as Much as I love Metal Sonic with what Sega did to him in sonic heroes I wouldent want him back unless done right (none of this ''I AM TEH REAL SONIC!!!!!!'' crap)

and he hasnt been called Mettalix since the english version of the Sonic Cd manual either(none of the English manuals where exactly accurate untill)... Sonic R, Sonic the Fighters and Sonic Jam both called him Metal Sonic and those games are older than Sonic Adventure is (so I wouldent exactly call them ''modern'')
                        He was called Metallix in StC...Well in the good old days, so I just sorta picked it up from that. I remember the bleak terminator-style future on the miracle planet (called Meridian in Stc) and when the Metallixes invaded from Robotnik's abandoned facility in the Special Zone.

and as for Sonic Cd's OST

the English/Japanese OST is downright Amazing... the American Sonic CD OST was horrid T_T why did they feel the need to change it? the OST was perfect as it was
                        I totally agree, the japanese soundtrack's on my comp and is just so awesome, especially the Wacky Workbench . The USA one is awful....so much it makes my ears bleed...

they have an online continuation of that comic actually and its rather decent(better than the horrid Archie Comics IMO...)

http://www.stconline.co.uk/

I do have to admit some of the things in StC where great (love their interpretation of Super Sonic) hell most of the things in StC where great till they started reprinting old storylines in new comics... and the Sonic Adventure adaption(god I hated that adaptation)
                        Thanks for the link. I used to love Sonic The Comic and yeah, the fact that Super Sonic wasn't just an enhanced version of normal sonic - he was a frakking phsycopath who wanted to kill everyone, that's fantastic storytelling.

I remember when they destroyed Chaos and because Sonic absorbed all of the power of the chaos emeralds, he was transformed into super sonic and the gang had to stop him from the destroying the planet. And also I felt that the way that the Special Zone was portayed in the comic was fantastic.

Ahhh good times. But you're right, as soon as Sonic Adventure was released - new writers were brought in to make Stc more in tune with the games and for kids, so they started repeating some of the stand alone stories and introduced Rouge the Bat and Shadow the Hedgehog...Then it became rather awful, so I called off my subscription, that was like 6 or 7 years ago lol....

And eventually I hear that the comic ended and so they moved it online; thus the link. I'll check out the site and see if they have any of the old comics uploaded...

sigpic

Comment

because Eggman WAS his original name America changed to Robotnik way back when the original Sonic game was released

you can even see ''eggman'' plastered on the side of the Egg fortress in Sonic 2

and if your wondering why he was orginally called eggman *points to the fact his body is the shape on an egg* plus he has a weird obsession with Eggs... *points to everything he has made with Egg in its name*
                          I already knew all that. His name is Ivo Robotnik also known as "Eggman." I was wondering why the developers decided to use his Eggman alias instead of his real name. Robotnik is a MUCH better name than Eggman anyway.

(DUH! This is silly arguing over something that only exists as a series of ones and zeros. *shrug*)
                          "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
                            I already knew all that. His name is Ivo Robotnik also known as "Eggman." I was wondering why the developers decided to use his Eggman alias instead of his real name. Robotnik is a MUCH better name than Eggman anyway.

(DUH! This is silly arguing over something that only exists as a series of ones and zeros. *shrug*)
                            lol I was tempted to answer in binary then.

But the history of Robotnik is explained with Sonic's in StC as this.

Originally a normal brown hedgehog and resident of the Emerald Hill Zone, Sonic accidentally discovered the lab of benevolent scientist Dr. Ovi Kintobor. The two became friends and Sonic assisted in his experiments to absorb Mobius' evil into the Chaos Emeralds by running errands for him. He was present for most of the doctor's pivotal experiments, but didn't really pay much attention to them.

Sonic's life took a bizarre turn when Kintobor directed his curiosity towards Sonic's running prowess (Sonic was fast even before gaining his blue colour) and attempted to measure what speed Sonic could reach under his own power. Kintobor gave him friction reducing "Power Sneakers" to help him run faster and put him in a "kinetic gyratosphere" to test Sonic's speed - Sonic ended up breaking the speed of sound, causing an accident that fused Sonic's quills together and turning them a distinctly different blue colour.

But the accident also effected Kintobor, changing him from the nice and peaceful scientist to the evil, egg shaped villian, Dr Robotnik.

sigpic

Comment

they used Eggman in Japan as his name because technically in the Japan the name Robotnik didn't come about till SA2B where it was made his official surname

switch Sonic Adventure to the Japanese track and you will not here Robotnik at all despite the fact the subtitle ''Robotnik'' at the bottom

and as the games are made in japan the developers would obviously stick with the name all of the fans in Japan are used to

speaking of which WHY have they stopped allowing us to switch the language options as of late the voise acting (excluding Eggman) is utter tripe

and mappalazarou the comics arnt exactly canon to the games >_> what maybe right in the comics isnt going to apply to the games and visa versa... unless Super Sonic is now a raging psychotic monster that shoots laser eye beams among other things

(and no Im not bashing StC but it cant exactly fit in with the games)
                              Last edited by kharn the betrayer; 22 June 2007, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X