Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Season 4 & Teyla Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season 4 & Teyla Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Let's face it, Teyla hasn't exactly played a huge role in Atlantis recently IMO she is mostly there as a guide for John's team since she is from the Pegasus Galaxy.

She's been taken over by a Wraith in The Gift and Submersion.

And now with her
    Spoiler:
    pregnancy
    in S4, I'm wondering how she's even going to be able to go on missions.

I think she coud be putting her team in jeopardy.

Please keep in mind that this is a *discussion* thread so both pro and con are welcome. But no bashing of fans, actresses or characters - okay?

So let's discuss Teyla in S4.

Unfortunately I think the latest 'development' will not help the character. I think it's fantastic that TPTB are supporting the actress this way however as a storyline I don't think it can work. It's been done to death in Sci-Fi - not the least in Stargate if my understanding of SG-1 Seasons 9 and 10 is correct - and frankly in every show I've ever watched it really doesn't work.

I am slightly more hopeful with regards to the early season 4 stuff regarding Teyla but in general I don't think the character has ever lived up to her early potential - or to the very talented actress playing her.

Comment

According to Joe Mallozzi, Teyla might be taking a less active role later in the season (as the actress gets closer to her due date). However I think that since 12 episodes have been filmed already Teyla won't be held back too much, especially early in the season.

The real question is will the writing be up to scratch
      sigpic

Comment

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah no, not another thread about teyla.

Comment

RL said this season has been by far her most physical, the upcoming season also seems to be a bit more character driven than previous ones, hopefully the pregnancy will help with this, because in this respect I don't think Teyla has 'earned her keep' in the series yet.

p.s I'm sure this thread is in no way a response to vaberella's comments about Weir

Comment

Originally posted by Arica12 View Post
            Unfortunately I think the latest 'development' will not help the character. I think it's fantastic that TPTB are supporting the actress this way however as a storyline I don't think it can work. It's been done to death in Sci-Fi - not the least in Stargate if my understanding of SG-1 Seasons 9 and 10 is correct - and frankly in every show I've ever watched it really doesn't work.

I am slightly more hopeful with regards to the early season 4 stuff regarding Teyla but in general I don't think the character has ever lived up to her early potential - or to the very talented actress playing her.
            I don't think it will help the character either. For me, Teyla has always been the weakest link. And I can't see this storyline changing that.

Comment

Spoiler:
              I think Sheppard will realize how he feels too late about Teyla and Teyla hooks up with another guy oblivious to how he feels, Sheppard gets jealous and spends most of the season pining after her without anyones knowledge but the viewers, she gets pregnant, then after awhile they have her lose the baby or something and he's there to help her get through it in the end
              Last edited by MrsB108; 20 June 2007, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzotchka View Post
                Let's face it, Teyla hasn't exactly played a huge role in Atlantis recently IMO she is mostly there as a guide for John's team since she is from the Pegasus Galaxy.
                She's been taken over by a Wraith in The Gift and Submersion.

And now with her
                Spoiler:
                pregnancy
                in S4, I'm wondering how she's even going to be able to go on missions.
                I think she coud be putting her team in jeopardy.

Please keep in mind that this is a *discussion* thread so both pro and con are welcome. But no bashing of fans, actresses or characters - okay?

So let's discuss Teyla in S4.
                Basically if you've read the interview of RL, as I'm assuming you have since in another thread you mentioned it. Then you would know they filmed most of her scenes in advance...and they'll cut it into the filming of the eps with the other characters. JM also made mention of this in his blog.

Further more, there is nothing to say that she's even going to have a kid on the show. It's just part of a story arc to fit in Ms. Luttrell's pregnancy...which we're aware of.

Comment for red...She's probably not going to put her team in jeopardy, unlike other characters, she can dial a gate and also knows how to use a P90 and stick-fighting. Plus she can if she wants kick Ronon's arse. They have already filmed the first 12 eps with Teyla in them, they just haven't done the last 8, but that doesn't mean they won't include her, considering as we go back to RL's comment they filmed her scenes early on, one after the other. Plus JM made mention to an ep they're adding to it. So there's plenty going on which will include her and probably and most likely not make her a liability.

Comment for blue...She was taken over in The Gift, because she was first introduced to having the bloody ability. Did you expect her to be able to use it on the first go?! I think that's rather unrealistic.

And if you look at The Siege III, you'd know there wouldn't be Atlantis left if Teyla didn't send the Wraith a message, which caused them to end the attack. So clearly her ability has SAVED the Atlantis Ex.

As for Submersion she's strengthened her ability from Michael and was able to defeat the Queen. I'm sure it was difficult for her, since let's again be realistic, it's not like she had live WRaith to practice on regularly. Wouldn't you say?! Again because she defeated a Queen, albeit said Queen was weakeend, she's getting stronger in her ability and tapping into it. So her ability is actually becoming more of added bonus than a problem. Remember if you go back to The Gift, it was stated quite clearly that people like her were rumored to be able to defeat the Wraith.

Give Teyla a little more practice and she'll be bloody invincible. Plus if you've read JM's blog or RL's interview, we'll learn about her ability and probably we'll get an expansion on her physiology touched on in Rising and The Gift, and probably how seh can use them. Probably meeting others of her own kind (ie, those who have the wraith gene, as mentioned in Lost Boys).

So she's going to be far from a liability and the RL's interviews and JM's blog has said as much. So I don't understand the concern here?!

For the comment in Indigo...She is a guide for Sheps Team. ie that's why she's the diplomatic voice of the Peggy on Atlantis and for Shep when he goes off world. They have touched on her other roles, the writers just have not extended on this until this season.

I'm not worried in the least, JM has mentioned this, Paul Mullie has mentioned this, Martin Gero has mentioned this, Brad Wright/Robert Cooper....this season is a focus on Teyla's arc!! Even RL has added to it. So if anything she'll be earning her keep.

Originally posted by marty2006 View Post
                Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah no, not another thread about teyla.
                I know what you mean.
                People, we need to learn how to use the search engine. There's always a thread like this:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=40974

But I'm sure if the mods don't close this thread like they did a few other, they'll merge it.

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                RL said this season has been by far her most physical, the upcoming season also seems to be a bit more character driven than previous ones, hopefully the pregnancy will help with this, because in this respect I don't think Teyla has 'earned her keep' in the series yet.

p.s I'm sure this thread is in no way a response to vaberella's comments about Weir
                You know it is... I'm that darn special.

In response to what you're saying. I agree to an extent. The writer's haven't used her to their potential. They started off alright in S1, if one watches the first season it's a dynamic use of Teyla in basically every episode, the people she knows as in The Underground and Letters from Pegasus, her ability as in The Gift and The Siege 3. So They tried, and then in S2, they dropped the ball on basically everyone and focused a great deal of time on the Wraith and Ancients...and basically the stupidity of the Atlantis ex (although it is definitely my fave season for Ford and the Wraith (<--I like those guys). Not only that in S2, there was also the fact they introduced the new character of Ronon who changes the dynamic of things considerably and they really had to build up on him, Sateda, and Runners (they really need to pick up on that (the Runners would be a great addition to the fight against the wraith and add a necessary militia within the Peggy that Weir never created)).

In S3, she was ridiculously underused for the push on Weir, as was mentioned in S2 when they were aiming to make Weir "darker", but really it pushed back everyone, well everyone except Ronon and McKay. Well that didn't pan out well throughout. So poor Teyla was thrown to the background.

I think this is a great move and there's talk of her arc moving into S5. As I've said before and what most people don't seem to realize is that there are only 2 characters, three if they bring him back. But two characters on the team who can create an unlimited storyline and really Teyla is the biggest and then we follow through with Ronon. These two characters are from the Peggy and they have connections that we have no idea about and histories we have no nothing about.

John, Weir, Beckett, McKay they are from Earth and there are so much storylines based on highjinx stupidity the Earth people get themselves into and bring in the Peggy people along for the ride.

But the real issue is the WRaith, the Ancients and their connection in the Peggy and the people affected by all this. Meaning storylines come from the Peggy people on Atlantis. We know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about Teyla's past.

She is the ultimate ENIGMA, with John coming in second. We havent' met with the hundreds of planets her people have traded with. We don't know about her mother, her father (his role), if she had brothers or sisters---family who might be else where. With Charin she said in Critical Mass, TEyla said Charin was all that was left. But we don't know that for sure. We don't know how she was leader, we don't know why simple farmers know stick fighting and knife play. We dont' know if she was betrothed or married. We don't know if she had kids before or even Athosian customs and rituals.

Basically we know NOTHING. That being said, there is much that can be learned about her and hence I can see why the sudden focus on her. There are three to four stories going on here in her arc. She has a possilbe love interst who could be from her past, we have a crush, we have a pregnancy that could be related to her physiology and really we have her people gone which will connect us with a whole slew of possibly new enemies and reasons and what not.

So this arc is needed and there's plenty here. Not to mention the writers have said basically that Teyla will be used and even as she gets closer in her pregnancy it doesn't seem that's deterred some of the writing, since they pre-filmed all the physical scenes which we'll see and also her majorly emotional scenes and I'm sure she'll be in quite a bit of S4 second half...I believe there is only 8 eps to film, so not much more to go. So I think she'll eventually earn her keep.

Basically her presence and Ronon's presence is enough to keep around if only for future storyline. Oh and that third person I was speaking of was Ford, because now he has a history that could endanger or help the Atlantis Ex.

Good stuff!

I don't think it will help the character either. For me, Teyla has always been the weakest link. And I can't see this storyline changing that.
                Not to be funny in respect to the recent changes...I'm sure the writers felt they got rid of the weakest links. That being said, I'll miss you Carson. RIP
                Last edited by vaberella; 20 June 2007, 07:00 PM.
                Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
                  Basically if you've read the interview of RL, as I'm assuming you have since in another thread you mentioned it. Then you would know they filmed most of her scenes in advance...and they'll cut it into the filming of the eps with the other characters. JM also made mention of this in his blog.

Further more, there is nothing to say that she's even going to have a kid on the show. It's just part of a story arc to fit in Ms. Luttrell's pregnancy...which we're aware of.
                  Yes, I did read the article as you well know. And I do know that she filmed most of her episodes in advance. What I'm trying to say is that if she (Teyla) knows she is pregnant and is going on missions, whether they are dangerous or not and whether she means it or not, she may, inadvertantly, put her team at risk. Would she try to stay out of the line of fire? Would she be more aware of her surroundings so she wouldn't fall and injure herself or the child? Would she be too careful on missions? That's sort of what I'm trying to say.

She's probably not going to put her team in jeopardy, unlike other characters, she can dial a gate and also knows how to use a P90 and stick-fighting. Plus she can if she wants kick Ronon's arse. They have already filmed the first 12 eps with Teyla in them, they just haven't done the last 8, but that doesn't mean they won't include her, considering as we go back to RL's comment they filmed her scenes early on, one after the other. Plus JM made mention to an ep they're adding to it. So there's plenty going on which will include her and probably and most likely not make her a liability.
                  I'm not saying they won't include her. It all depends on how they use the pregnancy in the story line and how far along she is.

She was taken over in The Gift, because she was first introduced to having the bloody ability. Did you expect her to be able to use it on the first go?! I think that's rather unrealistic.

And if you look at The Siege III, you'd know there wouldn't be Atlantis left if Teyla didn't send the Wraith a message, which caused them to end the attack. So clearly her ability has SAVED the Atlantis Ex.

As for Submersion she's strengthened her ability from Michael and was able to defeat the Queen. I'm sure it was difficult for her, since let's again be realistic, it's not like she had live WRaith to practice on regularly. Wouldn't you say?! Again because she defeated a Queen, albeit said Queen was weakeend, she's getting stronger in her ability and tapping into it. So her ability is actually becoming more of added bonus than a problem. Remember if you go back to The Gift, it was stated quite clearly that people like her were rumored to be able to defeat the Wraith.
                  The fact that she is able to communicate with the Wraith and possibly be taken over by one *is* a liability. I never said she had to learn how to control it right away. If her ability was discovered in S1, I would expect her to have better control of it by now. Let's hope that's the case.

I'm not worried in the least, JM has mentioned this, Paul Mullie has mentioned this, Martin Gero has mentioned this, Brad Wright/Robert Cooper....this season is a focus on Teyla's arc!! Even RL has added to it. So if anything she'll be earning her keep.
                  Finally she'll be earning her keep. It took Weir to be recurring and for Carter to come over for Teyla to get a story. She's really had nothing to do for the last 2 seasons. So I guess we'll see how her arc plays out. But lets face it, Teyla and her development has fallen short.

I know what you mean. People, we need to learn how to use the search engine.[/COLOR] There's always a thread like this:
                  http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=40974
                  But I'm sure if the mods don't close this thread like they did a few other, they'll merge it.[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
                  Actually, I can read, unlike some other fans. If the mods want to merge it then they will, I'll just continue the discussion elsewhere. But this is not a case of "There had better be more Teyla episodes". I'd be happy with *less* episodes. But I'd be happy to start a "There had better be less Teyla episodes" thread if you'd like???

I think this is a great move and there's talk of her arc moving into S5. As I've said before and what most people don't seem to realize is that there are only 2 characters, three if they bring him back. But two characters on the team who can create an unlimited storyline and really Teyla is the biggest and then we follow through with Ronon. These two characters are from the Peggy and they have connections that we have no idea about and histories we have no nothing about.
                  Ronon I agree with you about. I don't think that Teyla has anymore connections she could really use. We're going into season 4. The Athosians didn't have any advanced technology so how could they really lead us to any? Trading for food sources, yes. But I would think that all of that would have been explored back in the early seasons.

She is the ultimate ENIGMA, with John coming in second. We havent' met with the hundreds of planets her people have traded with. We don't know about her mother, her father (his role), if she had brothers or sisters---family who might be else where. With Charin she said in Critical Mass, TEyla said Charin was all that was left. But we don't know that for sure. We don't know how she was leader, we don't know why simple farmers know stick fighting and knife play. We dont' know if she was betrothed or married. We don't know if she had kids before or even Athosian customs and rituals.

Basically we know NOTHING. That being said, there is much that can be learned about her and hence I can see why the sudden focus on her. There are three to four stories going on here in her arc. She has a possilbe love interst who could be from her past, we have a crush, we have a pregnancy that could be related to her physiology and really we have her people gone which will connect us with a whole slew of possibly new enemies and reasons and what not.

So this arc is needed and there's plenty here. Not to mention the writers have said basically that Teyla will be used and even as she gets closer in her pregnancy it doesn't seem that's deterred some of the writing, since they pre-filmed all the physical scenes which we'll see and also her majorly emotional scenes and I'm sure she'll be in quite a bit of S4 second half...I believe there is only 8 eps to film, so not much more to go. So I think she'll eventually earn her keep.
                  Well I agree that she needed to be developed. It would've been interesting to see just where they would've taken Teyla if the pregnancy issue hadn't cropped up.
                  Last edited by Suzotchka; 20 June 2007, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Yes, I did read the article as you well know. And I do know that she filmed most of her episodes in advance. What I'm trying to say is that if she (Teyla) knows she is pregnant and is going on missions, whether they are dangerous or not and whether she means it or not, she may, inadvertantly, put her team at risk. Would she try to stay out of the line of fire? Would she be more aware of her surroundings so she wouldn't fall and injure herself or the child? Would she be too careful on missions? That's sort of what I'm trying to say.
                    She seems very proactive to me. We'll have to wait and see on that. I'm sure John and Carter wouldn't put Teyla on a mission if they thought she was a liability. Sure she could keep it a secret, but then Teyla would be willing to put the parasite at risk, more so than a team member. That being said, she wouldn't want the parasite---which I find unlikely.

I'm not saying they won't include her. It all depends on how they use the pregnancy in the story line and how far along she is.
                    From what I can see she's aware of her pregnancy in The Seer, it takes a normal human birth around 9 months right? Teyla would be flat, since RL would ahve filmed her scenes earlier on and later added. That being said, for the first hmmm....12 or 13 eps maybe longer, she won't be showing so her pregnancy won't be liability. Or they could get rid of it in Be All My Sins Remember'd.

The fact that she is able to communicate with the Wraith and possibly be taken over by one *is* a liability. I never said she had to learn how to control it right away. If her ability was discovered in S1, I would expect her to have better control of it by now. Let's hope that's the case.
                    To the comment in red...Okay you've got to be kidding me. You said you "never said she had to learn how to control it right away" but she should have better control of it by now, right? I have to ask you, do the Atlantis Ex have a pet Wraith in hiding that Teyla can do mental sparring with? Because otherwise, I don't expect her to have better control. In the past 3 seasons she's used her mental ability against a wraith about 5 times, and 2 of them without mental battle.

The Gift, The Siege III, Instinct, Michael, and Submersion. Definitely not enough practice to have better control of it by now. Especially considering we and she doesn't know the extent of it. It's not like she was given a manual. This actually opens the door for the writers to bring an experienced person with Teyla's ability to train her if possible...that would be a great added dynamic to her arc.

Finally she'll be earning her keep. It took Weir to be recurring and for Carter to come over for Teyla to get a story. She's really had nothing to do for the last 2 seasons. So I guess we'll see how her arc plays out.
                    Actually it took the writers getting rid of what they felt was dead weight and taking the show to another avenue with the changes and the change in showrunners for Teyla to get an arc.

Actually, I can read, unlike some other fans. If the mods want to merge it then they will, I'll just continue the discussion elsewhere. But this is not a case of "There had better be more Teyla episodes". I'd be happy with *less* episodes. But I'd be happy to start a "There had better be less Teyla episodes" thread if you'd like???
                    Actually if you read the direction of the thread it is of the same elk. Teyla's arc, her episodes and direction, and what people hope for and what some people have disliked. Hence the reason.

Sure you can start that thread, what ever floats your boat.

Ronon I agree with you about. I don't think that Teyla has anymore connections she could really use. We're going into season 4. The Athosians didn't have any advanced technology so how could they really lead us to any? Trading for food sources, yes. But I would think that all of that would have been explored back in the early seasons.
                    To the comment in red...How do you know? We don't really know anything about Teyla. What do you know of her? Besides her wraith ability, she's leader of the Athosian, and what you basically learned in S1. She's basically an empty canvas. Saying what you just said, can also be wholeheartedly applied to Shep.

To the comment in blue...That's technically incorrect. The Wraith destroyed all nations that posed a threat and had advancement, if you look at Rising, the ruined buildings looked similar to a sister ship to me. And you saw she mastered the art of fire. At one point the Athosians were fairly advanced, and we have no idea what secret they may hold. Again keep in mind that Paul Mullie said there maybe a soft reset. But agin from S1, they left plenty open to be interpreted and built on in regards to Teyla and the Athosians. We again have little to nothing on Teyla.

To the comment in Indigo...They could have explored that in S1, but again they were introducing all the characters and trying to develop around 7 cast members, a few enemies like Kolya and of course the Wraith, and introducing the people to the dangers and exploration of the City. When do you think they'd have time to address all things related to the Athosians? or even Teyla?! They haven't even addressed everything to John yet. We know nothing on John.

Well I agree that she needed to be developed. It would've been interesting to see just where they would've taken Teyla if the pregnancy issue hadn't cropped up.
                    Sure thing, but we won't since again the actresses personal life had to deter that. We go with what they could work with.

Comment

Totally agree about the reasons the show jumping the shark.

Originally posted by alyssa
                      Teyla pregnant (I mean really... please.. what's she going to be doing? Taking the sprog on missions? Leaving it for Zelenka to babysit??)
                      And we know how much Zelenka loves the kids. LOL

I don't really have that much to say about Teyla, the character never seemed important to me, hasn't impressed me in any way, she's just... there...and that's all there is from her, apart from the occasional fight scenes. It's like she's in the show but I don't notice her much. It's the writers, I know. The actress does the best of what she can do. I won't say that I hate her because I don't really, she's too bland for me to have any strong feelings about her.

And now to finally give her a real story and it involves pregnancy, bad luck for the character. But happiness for the actress of course.
                      Torri Higginson: "Elizabeth had a mad crush on Sheppard."
                      at Halfway Con - Sparktastic weekend with Joe and Torri, on October 30, 2011

R.I.P. Stargate Atlantis (S1-S3)

Comment

How is her pregnancy bad luck? I mean you have no clue in which direction the writers are taking her and how it's done. I personally have no problems with the pregnancy. I want to see the actress emotionally driven, I want to see her action driven, I want to see her physically driven, I want to see her mentally driven and so far nothing the writers have said is leading me to believe they won't be doing that. She's getting an entire seasonal arc. That's a serious move and we'll have to see how that goes.

A story is only really as good as it's executed. I've seen similar stories on similar places, some fall short, other's aren't so bad. Other's have been done very well. Plus, from what I can gather her pregnancy does not dominate the form of the character or her presence on the show.

At this moment I'm getting the feeling that many of you just want to harp on it. Like, she gets a love interest (oh she's defined by a man rather than on her own)---Weir got a love interest for a day. When Weir got one, she wasn't defined by a man. Oh, Teyla has a kid, she must have been sleeping with someone...the writers haven't even defined if the baby is human or if it's some sort of entity. Really what is so inherently wrong if the character is pregnant if no one knows where the writers are taking the story?

I think people are whinging, and really it's by majority of the same anti's from the anti thread in this section. So I guess no matter what's done, without even seeing the episode/s, you're willing to condemn it. Whenever I do my complaints on Weir it's on episodes past----not on those not even aired or on rumors that have been yet to be confirmed by the showrunner (this in regards to possible love interest).

We know absolutely nothing really on Teyla to build a idea on her. I think the character has a lot of potential and hence the reason I actually like her, based on the fact that I know she opens doors to some interesting stories. Sure some of what I've heard has given me room for doubt or pause, but again I'm not about to knock anything until I really see it in action.

Unlike some of the other characters they've given the forefront too who just bore the daylights out of an ep. Teyla is a character so underused, you can't really be bored, since besides in S1 and maybe Submersion (which got decent ratings), we haven't seen her really getting out there.

Anyway the writers are doing what they can under the circumstances and the fact there is such mystery around her role in S4, because if you sit there and think about it, no one knows a damn thing about what's going on with Teyla in S4, but she's getting seasonal arc. All you know is Athosians are missing, wraith ability tested (using warrior skills), a crush, a pregnancy, and a possible love interest. <-----Besides these 5 things no one knows a darned thing to even elaborate on what to expect on Teyla.

Her character is the mystery of S4, and it might lead into a continued extention into S5. I'm guessing, the writers are banking on her past and self to bring in a lot of storylines which make sense. Between Ronon and Teyla---they could bring in storylines and highjinxes for several seasons to come.

Comment

i don't think its a bad idea about another thread about Teyla it might just get her some more fans and if you notice it says her role in season 4 and this is the season 4 thread
                          Sig Bye Me and Avi bye Luciana

Comment

ok guys, this is a DISCUSSSION thread.

which means that all points of view are welcome.

which also means...in the spirit of discussion, is it really wise to be making derogatory and inflammatory comments that you yourself wouldn't tolerate about your favorite character???

How about a little adult behavior, adult sensibilities and consideration for others??

Unless of course you're just in the mood to have this thread descend into a slanging match, further proving the opinoin many fans have of atlantis fans and giving us a really good and easy excuse to shut down this thread since i really don't see ANYTHING in there that hasn't already been 'discussed' in numerous other threads
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
                              How is her pregnancy bad luck? I mean you have no clue in which direction the writers are taking her and how it's done. I personally have no problems with the pregnancy.
                              Good for you. I wouldn't wish my favorite character such a development on a scifi show with the genius writers like you know who.

Teyla is a character so underused, you can't really be bored, since besides in S1 and maybe Submersion (which got decent ratings), we haven't seen her really getting out there.
                              That's why you get bored (if you actually pay attention to the character) because she's not doing anything.
                              Torri Higginson: "Elizabeth had a mad crush on Sheppard."
                              at Halfway Con - Sparktastic weekend with Joe and Torri, on October 30, 2011

R.I.P. Stargate Atlantis (S1-S3)

Comment

Working...
                              X