X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Atlantis Expedition should be dead.

Warning: Spoilers for season 2 premiere The Siege, Part 3

This might be a silly question, but when the Daedalus detonated the nuclear bomb over Atlantis to try and fool the Wraith into thinking Atlantis had been destroyed, wouldn't there have been extreme radiation all over the area afterwards? I don't think that they keep the shield up at all times; and when it's acting as a cloak, it isn't actually shielding the city from anything - let alone nuclear fallout.

What's that all about?

Originally posted by Zed.P.M. View Post
    Warning: Spoilers for season 2 premiere The Siege, Part 3

This might be a silly question, but when the Daedalus detonated the nuclear bomb over Atlantis to try and fool the Wraith into thinking Atlantis had been destroyed, wouldn't there have been extreme radiation all over the area afterwards? I don't think that they keep the shield up at all times; and when it's acting as a cloak, it isn't actually shielding the city from anything - let alone nuclear fallout.

What's that all about?
    The initial blast would have toasted them, but the shield was up. There wouldn't have been much fallout, since nothing was irradiated except the water around them, which wouldn't pose much of a threat, since that water would move on currents.
    Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Well, this is purely speculative, but I think that Atlantis, being a spacecraft, may have been built from materials able to withstand low to intermediate range radiation levels. This is why they only needed the shield long enough to block out the "hard radiation" as explained by Rodney McKay.... Just guessing, but sounds reasonable to me.

Also, I imagine the nuke they used wasn't as high yield as, say, a Mk. 9. It was probably a low-yield tactical nuke (hence why it would have been concievable to have "debris" left over to fool the wraith with in "Critical Mass", a Hiroshima-yield weapon would have enough power to vaporize the whole city, had it not had a shield...

Perhaps the shield can absorb energy, to include radioactive particles. We know that ancient technology is capable of converting such energy into other forms (EG - transmission of radiation through an active wormhole)

Of course, all this is purely speculative.

Creating worlds I know couldn't possibly exist. One little polygon at a time.

Comment

Atlantis was designed to operate in space with the sheild up, without it it's not even air-tight.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
          Atlantis was designed to operate in space with the sheild up, without it it's not even air-tight.
          Which seems silly when you think about it. I mean, shields are generally used for defensive purposes, and the hulls of ships are used to deal with radiation. Seems like Atlantis wasn't originally designed to be a ship, but was later adapted to become one.

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

I wondered that as well. The low-yield nuke explanation is probably the best.

Vala,

Comment

But wouldn't there still be significant radiation in the atmosphere, or the immediate area around the blast zone? Surely the members of the expedition couldn't stand outside on the balcony.

Comment

Radiation comes from particles, these particles are to heavy to stay in the air forever and will drop to the ground but they are also light enough that it will both take time and they get blown around by the wind.

I would say that the radiation from fallout at Atlantis is minimal, the shield protected against the initial radiation, the fallout gets mostly blown away by the winds and very very little lands on Atlantis itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
                  Which seems silly when you think about it. I mean, shields are generally used for defensive purposes, and the hulls of ships are used to deal with radiation. Seems like Atlantis wasn't originally designed to be a ship, but was later adapted to become one.

...and your conclusion is based on? You clearly say that shields are generally used for defensive purposes. Zelenka transforms a cloak into a shield. So the PJ "defends " the crew from water pressure. This shows how versatile ancient technology was. You are missing something. The shield gets energy from ZPMs. I think you have enough energy to do multi-tasking with that shield. Any solid proof that Atlantis wasnt initially a ship? McKay says it s primary function is to be an intergalactic vessel and then a city or a yoyo, depends what you want .
                  Last edited by Integrabyte; 19 June 2007, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Lets not forget that even before the nuclear explosion on the Siege Pt. 3 Sheppard detonated a nuclear explosion from a Naquadah generator, when the city had no operational shields in order to stop the nano-virus. They didn't seem too worried about the fallout or radiation either. I believe the explosion was far enough up they wouldn't have to worry about it. Or so said McKay.

So that is 2 nuclear detonations at high altitude right above Atlantis in just a short period of time. That planet is going to be glowing if they keep it up. LOL
                    sigpic

Comment

The gamma radiation should have killed them all.
                      sigpic
                      Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
                        ...and your conclusion is based on?
                        The fact that without the shield active the city cannot enter space?

You clearly say that shields are generally used for defensive purposes. Zelenka transforms a cloak into a shield. So the PJ "defends " the crew from water pressure. This shows how versatile ancient technology was.
                        Yeah, I suppose. The thing is, we're talking about field emitters, not specialized technology here. A general field emitter could be used for cloaking or to emit a deflection shield (or whatever other kind of field you wanted to emit).

Any solid proof that Atlantis wasnt initially a ship?
                        Have you looked closely at the superstructure? Between the piers it looks like it was built from the top down. Also, when the shield is active, it doesn't surround the entire vessel; it only covers the top of the superstructure, which is unlike any other ship we've seen in the franchise.

McKay says it s primary function is to be an intergalactic vessel and then a city or a yoyo, depends what you want .
                        Which episode did McKay say it's primary function was to be an intergalactic vessel? Cite your reference please.

Comment

Who says Atlantis doesn't have some gizmo te neutralize radiation

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
                            Which episode did McKay say it's primary function was to be an intergalactic vessel? Cite your reference please.
                            Actually, it was Dr. Zelenka who stated that, I believe it was in "The Siege, pt. 1" or whichever episode they were planning the self-destruct of the city during season 1.

Vala,

Comment

Actually, it was Dr. Zelenka who stated that, I believe it was in "The Siege, pt. 1" or whichever episode they were planning the self-destruct of the city during season 1.

Vala,
                              Maybe I am confusing. Exam stress . After my exams I will watch every episode again for that . Don't know why I am sure McKay says something about that too .

Have you looked closely at the superstructure? Between the piers it looks like it was built from the top down. Also, when the shield is active, it doesn't surround the entire vessel; it only covers the top of the superstructure, which is unlike any other ship we've seen in the franchise.
                              Yeah I have paid attention to it. You want the shield to cover the stardrive too? This is Atlantis the Lost City of the Ancients. The most advanced thing ever created in the SG Universe. Why would it be like any other ship in the franchise?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X