This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earth ship star map placings (spoilers)

This contains spoilers for the end of season 3 of Atlantis and "The Ark of Truth".

Did anyone ever wonder what is up with the placing of the star map on the bridge in the Earth ships? On some ships, the map is placed vertical and in some, horizontal.

The Promtheus had the vertical map
    http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s6/6...12%5F0005.html

The Daedalus, Odyssey and Apollo have the horizonal map
    http://www.stargatecaps.com/sga/s2/2...ml/016293.html
    http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s9/9...amelot527.html
    http://www.stargatecaps.com/sga/s3/3...trike0219.html

The Korolev had the vertical map
    http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s9/9...amelot580.html

Now it seems in "The Ark of Truth", that the Odyssey may be shifting towards the vertical map now.
    http://bp2.blogger.com/_bu0vVgPPyEs/...h/DSC04170.JPG

And yes, it is the Odyssey because it has the orange map. Or is it just a production goof?
    http://bp1.blogger.com/_bu0vVgPPyEs/...h/DSC04493.JPG

Vala,

Very nice observations.

Comment

I would think as long as it's visible, it's usable. It shouldn't matter which orientation it has.

Production wise, I'm guessing they've had to rebuild the sets a bit, so changing the way the star map was oriented was warranted.

Side note: Anybody else find it strange that they use a 2-dimensional plane to map 3-dimensional objects? Seems kind of silly considering that they have all those big computer displays all over the bridge. A 3-d map of the Milky Way and Pegasus would be extra cool eye candy for production reasons.
      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

They actually do have a 3-D map, sort of. The pics show that it's actually two planes intersecting each other at a 90 degrees angle. One plane is just longer than the other.

Comment

I think the map is movable in the show universe.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
            They actually do have a 3-D map, sort of. The pics show that it's actually two planes intersecting each other at a 90 degrees angle. One plane is just longer than the other.
            True, but every time they've used those maps to indicate a planet, they are 2-D star charts which don't represent depth.

Originally posted by mikeroq
            I think the map is movable in the show universe.
            What do you mean movable?

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

I mean where it can be turned.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeroq View Post
                I mean where it can be turned.
                Ah, like spun around so people sitting down don't have to get up? Seems like a bad idea to having something like that on a space ship, but for a studio set, seems like a good idea

Comment

Ok I feel kinda stupid, but all those maps look pretty vertical to me. Some of them are turned differently buy they still look vertical. Unless you're using those terms to mean something besides what they normally mean.
                  All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                    Ok I feel kinda stupid, but all those maps look pretty vertical to me. Some of them are turned differently buy they still look vertical. Unless you're using those terms to mean something besides what they normally mean.
                    If you were looking at the bridge from the top down, like a floorplan, the starmaps are shown like so:

| = horizontal (actually vertical)
                    _ = vertical (actually horizontal)

Comment

Originally posted by monkey_man132 View Post
                      Very nice observations.
                      Thanks!

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                      Yeah, I know I didn't phrase it properly but I couldn't think of a word to describe the Prometheus/Korolev map positioning. Personally, I find it more attractive to have the map the Daedalus/Odyssey/Apollo style.

Vala,

Comment

You'd think that now we have Holographic Technology we could just show it all in 3D now.... but anyway. Maybe the boys (and girls) down at Special effects had a hard time doing it, or maybe it's a Budget thing...

Comment

I`m pretty sure the star map is the same prop but just turned around.

This is one of the methods they use to differentiate the bridges of the respective ships, another method being the color scheme.

I too prefer it in the Daedalus position, it makes quite a nice backdrop for Caldwell.

Comment

What are you trying to say, exactly?
                            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Horizontal is better. Looks good to have a background and sets the mood of the crew.

Comment

Working...
                              X