Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creation of a 'Wargames' section of the forum: Yea or Nay?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creation of a 'Wargames' section of the forum: Yea or Nay?

Do you think the moderators should create a new section of the forum for the <blank> vs. <blank> scenarios that posters have been putting here in the science and technology forum?

Personally, I'd love to see a Wargames section, just so we have a place for the "Daedalus Vs. Borg Cube" threads, or the "Ori vs. Nazi" threads, which really aren't so much about science or technology, but more about the scenarios of those two forces doing battle.

So, yes or no (and why if applicable).
    Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Yes.

I don't see those threads stopping, so at least cleanse a bit the board and put all those vs in the same basket.
    There's ben like an infestation of them recently.
    I like a fair doe of vs, but it's a bit alarming that they spread like that.
    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

No... No one else really cares, and a lot of people enjoy them right here where they are. And it's not like those threads are in the overwhelming majority; in my opnion a whole sub-forum dedicated to them would be a waste of bandwith.
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Hmmm I think a section specifically for them may be a good idea, after all versus threads while having some technical discussion dont exactly fit in with the rest of this section plus they're a bit of a distraction especially when someone replies to them with volatile answers.
        "It's because you just cant spell manslaughter without the laughter..."

"If you move around the letters in "Ori Infantry" it spells Meatsheild."

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
          No... No one else really cares, and a lot of people enjoy them right here where they are. And it's not like those threads are in the overwhelming majority; in my opnion a whole sub-forum dedicated to them would be a waste of bandwith.
          How a subforum would be stealing bandwidth?

On the other, it may attract new forumers. <- and that's notstealing bandwidth.
          The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

A waste of bandwidth is a misnomer. A waste of disk space might be a bigger concern.

As for volatile answers, you're the one putting threads where they don't belong. If you don't like the responses you get, refrain from asking the silly questions.

Comment

It would clear this Science and Tech thread of the Vs. threads

so I say yes
              Come see Kingomon's Stargate stories about:
              Poseidon, the Ancient's King and
              new enemy of the Ori
              At: http://www.stargate-sg1.hu/fanfiction/

Comment

Agreed. These really have nothing to do with science and tech and it would simply be easier to seperate the various ideas behind the posts.

Also, and I'm sure Jarnin would agree, this is a poll of the members of this board, and obviously we respect whatever the moderators decision would be on a matter such as this.
                www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Yes, please god yes.

Comment

There's no great need for a new section of the forum if you ask me- but then, it doesn't bother me either way. If it means certain individuals stop complaining about such threads (even though they don't need to read them at all, let alone participate), then perhaps it would be a good idea.
                    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield- Tennyson
                    http://darthtimon.wix.com/meerkatmusings
                    http://meerkatmusings.co.uk/

Comment

YES!!!

I hate those threads. the odd one or two are fine every now and then but they show up EVERY WHERE!!!! I mean stuff like a Ori Waship vs Hive ship is fine cos it's within the stargate universe is fine but cross universe vs threads are just silly. It's never going to happen (I only ever argue if andromeda is in the list cos that ship is just invincible). The ships aren't scaled against eachother and we have no reference to go by. It's just pointless.

But i understand that people often like crossovers so if they want to let them........just PLEASE give them their own section to do it in.
                      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post
                        A waste of bandwidth is a misnomer. A waste of disk space might be a bigger concern.
                        Every thread and post is a waste of space by nature.

As for volatile answers, you're the one putting threads where they don't belong.
                        Yes, because I'm obviously the one who starts those threads. Really.
                        Waaaaaaiiiit!!...

If you don't like the responses you get, refrain from asking the silly questions.
                        You mean the hypocrit answers we get from the likes of you, insulting members because they're, oh my god, unfortunate to post in a versus thread, and yet the libelor happens to actively participate in such threads himself, using capslock like a pissed off child.
                        That's just rich.

What about growing some sense of tolerance?

I'm for this proposition precisely because the nonsensical behaviour of people like you.
                        Versus threads are derived from Science and Tech, but obviously this forum was not meant for that kind of subjects, so it seems rather fine to create a subforum.

As we see, many people do find an interest in those science and crossover related threads, but they tend to occupy a space which pisses off some other members who prefer to see it remain "pure", and frankly, having things a bit organized wouldn't hurt.

It would be a wise decision to make everybody happy and have that subsection created.
                        My 2c.

Comment

I wasn't replynig to you. I'm all for a wargames section to they can be happy creating their fanfic scenarios over there.

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post
                            I wasn't replynig to you. I'm all for a wargames section to they can be happy creating their fanfic scenarios over there.
                            Why over there and not here? Brown vs Board of Education (Very important America Sourt Case that helped to desegrate the south once and for all) seperate but equal is not right so why must you seperate us? I mean if this site was about real time scinece I could understand where you are coming from but come on this is sci fi scinence so its just everyones speculation and opinions and trying to convince someone else that you are right and they are wrong.

But I will admit there are a lot of these vs thread going around and I must say when I first came here I did a hell of a lot of them but now have learned to make smart educated ones and if you don't want to see a thread surive then don't post in it and it will go away or you just won't read it.

Also what is this pure thread you speak of? I mean what is there in here that is pure? vs thread is just as important as "OH MY GOD THOSE WEAPONS FROM UNENDING ARE POWERFUL"
                            Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                            A Face you Can Trust
                            sigpic
                            So whats the worst that could happen?
                            Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                            It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

To me, science and tech is about exploring the various components of scifi. Things like "why won't cloaks work with shields" is a great example (though I got annoyed because it's an issue we brought up over and over. and over. did I mention over?). Heck, I have no problems with comparisons cross series AS LONG AS WE CAN QUANTIFY AND USE SOMETHING COMMON IN EVERY SERIES so that the thread doesn't spin off into fanwank.

I mean, christ, there's 6 vs threads on the first page alone. And in each one, a majority of the posters aren't objective. YOu can't have a discussion when each side is baised and more interested in the sound effects that come out of their mouths as they play with their die-cast toys than they are in actually discussing something.

Comment

Working...
                              X