X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Q about Zero Point Modules?

Q About ZPM's?!

Answer me this, I may of missed it but I doubt it.

"The ZPM". if it gets it energy form subspace. Then how come it runs out of charge. Subspace as we all know if meant to be a super realm of its own which I guess is as big as the universe anyway if it is taking energy from this how comes it runs out of power? does the appature into subspace get smaller the more power it uses until the hole is closed.

Also, is a ZPM more powerful (when fully charged) than a sun!?

Cliff
    Got computer problems? visit http://theportal.dyndns.org/tech

Living TV's Most Haunted, get the spooks, visit http://theportal.dyndns.org/mosthaunted.

The sun question, I have no idea. It's definetly a different kind of power. the ZPM just outputs electrcity.

In any case, a ZPM contains a self-contained region of subspace. So who knows what that means. Maybe that's how the writers got away with saying that it's limitted.
    sigpic

Comment

Considering that the ZPM is only a technology that is theory at best in the real world, make up your own answer. It's just as likely to be true!

Comment

it may be true that the subspace power is infinite, but after all the containment crystals could ware out after a few million years. I mean thats probably why it doesn't last for ever. But with a power source that lasts millions of years why complain.

Comment

In every chemical equation you have a limiting reactant, such as burning wood. You have unlimited oxygen but you have limited wood to burn. Thus, it works the same with the ZPM. You have Sub-space(unlinimited) then you have the crystal it self(limited). As i understand it, pure subspace is uselss unless reacted to release energy. Like in a nuclear power for instince, where you have only limited amount uranium but you have the those rods( that never run out) to make the uranium release heat to boil the water. (there in a tank) the steam turns a turbine and recycles over and over. So its most likely that the crystal losses its catylst over time.

Hope that helps.
          Watch out Mckay, Fonzavitch it takin over.

"Are you trying to tell me that you...built a time machine, out of a Delorean"- Marty Mcfly

Comment

wrote such a good answer and nobody replied.

"Are you trying to tell me that you...built a time machine, out of a Delorean"- Marty Mcfly

Comment

Good answer.

Comment

The Zed-PM is like a light bulb. Eventually it burns out.
                Liaison of F.O.R.D.
                Click here to help Save Ford!

Comment

Wait, why are you calling it a zed pm, i thought it was a zpm.

Comment

Maybe he's Canadian

Comment

Originally posted by Drewbert
                      Wait, why are you calling it a zed pm, i thought it was a zpm.
                      LOL, I was just poking fun at the way McKay says "ZPM."
                      Liaison of F.O.R.D.
                      Click here to help Save Ford!

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Aiden Ford
                        The Zed-PM is like a light bulb. Eventually it burns out.
                        If it was truely like a lightbulb, it should never start to loose power. Lightbulbs (at least the ones I've had) don't slowly loose power...they just burn out one day. So, according to the lightbulb theory, the ZPM should work (almost) as well on its last day as it does on its first day.
                        Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by cjp_24
                          Answer me this, I may of missed it but I doubt it.

"The ZPM". if it gets it energy form subspace.
                          First off don't get caught up in the misnomer that is subspace. A ZPM or rather zero point energy in general uses the fabric of space to generate power. Space has a very definite energy density that is currently understood through the spontaneous creation and annihilation of 'virtual particles.' A ZPM would house a singularity with a certain size (on the order of a few Planck length in diameter) but no mass. Inside this 'perfect vacuum' would be region of space isolated from the outside world. The singularity would either be slightly unstable or stable but manipulated by the ZPM into decaying. Either way, the singularity would constantly emit radiation and the ZPM uses this radiation to create energy.

Then how come it runs out of charge...does the appature into subspace get smaller the more power it uses until the hole is closed.
                          The singularity is said to evaporate over time. The radiation emitted would be releasing energy that was previously the actual space trapped in the singularity. Zero point energy would literally be using up space and turning it into energy.

Also, is a ZPM more powerful (when fully charged) than a sun!?
                          That is an ambiguous question. The sun has a 5-billion+ year lifespan. The total energy output by the sun in that time period would probably dwarf a ZPM of usable size. Whereas the instantaneous output (a ZPM gone rogue) could exceed the rather slow trickle of energy we receive from the sun daily.

Jon
                          "The Supreme Personality of Godhead said: Time I am, the great destroyer of the worlds, and I have come here to destroy all people. With the exception of you, all the soldiers here on both sides will be slain."
                          (Bagavad Gita 11.32)
                          "The Supreme Personality of Godhead said: Time I am, the great destroyer of the worlds, and I have come here to destroy all people. With the exception of you, all the soldiers here on both sides will be slain."
                          (Bagavad Gita 11.32)

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                            If it was truely like a lightbulb, it should never start to loose power. Lightbulbs (at least the ones I've had) don't slowly loose power...they just burn out one day. So, according to the lightbulb theory, the ZPM should work (almost) as well on its last day as it does on its first day.
                            Yes. But the more you use the lightbulb, the closer it gets to dying. So the output potential of the ZPM may be the same but if we use less of its power (for sheilds and other functions) then it will last us longer. I imagine if we had three almost dead ZPMs they would run the city as three full ZPMs, just for a short period of time before they die.

Comment

It would appear we have a couple McKay's of our own right here.

By the way, when you get the chance besure to pick up & read a book called "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene.

Comment

Working...
                              X