PDA

View Full Version : Will Niam ever return? spoilers for "First Strike"

Steve_the_Wraith
June 13th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Niam was a great, a really sympathetic character which is hard to accomplish, seeing as he was a robot. An Asuran who deseperately wanted to be a good person and to ascend. I think it would be great if he returned

We found in First Strike that Asurans don't die exactly, their conciousness is stored in the collective upon death. So the door is totally open for Niam to return, probably alittle worse for wear, heck the Asurans have probably been torturing him for the last year.

But as a character it would be great to see him again, part of the thing that sets the Asurans apart from the replicators was that they wan't to ascend, and Niam best represents that desire. Without the desire to ascend the Asurans become just like the MW human form replicators

marty2006
June 13th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Dont see why he couldnt come back, dont think he would be the same as when we first met him however.

prion
June 13th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Niam was a great, a really sympathetic character which is hard to accomplish, seeing as he was a robot. An Asuran who deseperately wanted to be a good person and to ascend. I think it would be great if he returned

We found in First Strike that Asurans don't die exactly, their conciousness is stored in the collective upon death. So the door is totally open for Niam to return, probably alittle worse for wear, heck the Asurans have probably been torturing him for the last year.

But as a character it would be great to see him again, part of the thing that sets the Asurans apart from the replicators was that they wan't to ascend, and Niam best represents that desire. Without the desire to ascend the Asurans become just like the MW human form replicators

I see no reason to bring him back. I'd like to think the Atlantis folk aren't stupid enough to just dust the replicators bits over the side. They'll dispose of them, preferably in a permanent manner like putting them in the gate's vortex. Poof. Gone. I know I would.

Mitchell82
June 13th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Dont see why he couldnt come back, dont think he would be the same as when we first met him however.

If Oberoth could come back so could Niam. I like the Asurans so I hope we see Niam again.

Vala_M
June 13th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Remember from SG-1, once the Replicator blocks are disabled with the disruptor, they are PERMANENTLY disconnected so it's safe to keep them and study them. That is unless you perposely reactivate them like Thor did in season 8.

Vala,

Mitchell82
June 13th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Remember from SG-1, once the Replicator blocks are disabled with the disruptor, they are PERMANENTLY disconnected so it's safe to keep them and study them. That is unless you perposely reactivate them like Thor did in season 8.

Vala,

Of that particular replicator yes but they can create a new version.

jenks
June 14th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Considering they're replicators, I've always wondered why they don't all look the same anyway...

vaberella
June 14th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Actually I figured in the "horrific reveal" that it's Niam back again and ready to kill a few people on the Atlantis team.

Mitchell82
June 14th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Actually I figured in the "horrific reveal" that it's Niam back again and ready to kill a few people on the Atlantis team.

Hmm didn't think of that it's possible.

garhkal
June 14th, 2007, 07:30 PM
That would syck... the one rep who was actually imo worth saving turned into a baddie..

scifi_lemon
June 15th, 2007, 05:38 AM

Huh. Great idea! Never thought of that.

prion
June 15th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Considering they're replicators, I've always wondered why they don't all look the same anyway...

Probably cost. Otherwise you'd have a massive amount of replicators all looking alike...... and then you wouldn't know who was who! ;)

JDB
June 15th, 2007, 09:21 AM
I don't know if I'd want them to turn him into a bad guy if he came back. IMO it's alwasy more fun if you have at least one ally against a group of baddies.

vaberella
June 15th, 2007, 09:32 AM
I don't know if I'd want them to turn him into a bad guy if he came back. IMO it's alwasy more fun if you have at least one ally against a group of baddies.

Actually they sort of did turn him into a bad guy in The Return II, but killed him before he could kill McKay.

Mitchell82
June 15th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Actually they sort of did turn him into a bad guy in The Return II, but killed him before he could kill McKay.

That and he was responsible for Weir's state in The Real World.

scifi_lemon
June 15th, 2007, 10:23 AM

That and he was responsible for Weir's state in The Weir World.

But that stuff was only because of modifyed program. Deep down inside his nanobots, there's good in him ;)

PG15
June 15th, 2007, 11:19 AM
That and he was responsible for Weir's state in The Weir World.

The Weir World?!

scifi_lemon
June 15th, 2007, 11:52 AM
The Weir World?!

LOL! I didn't catch that ;) Uh Mitchell82, you might want to edit to say, "The *real* World"

Mitchell82
June 15th, 2007, 05:46 PM
LOL! I didn't catch that ;) Uh Mitchell82, you might want to edit to say, "The *real* World"

LOL ooops.:danielanime05:Fixed it.

garhkal
June 15th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Na.. leave it as is... the Wier world if what it was anyway!

scifi_lemon
June 16th, 2007, 04:15 PM
LOL ooops.:danielanime05:Fixed it.

It's okay. It was all about Weir anyways. :P

Mitchell82
June 17th, 2007, 01:42 PM
It's okay. It was all about Weir anyways. :P

Good point.

Onebaseman
June 20th, 2007, 01:59 AM

So basically Replicator Michael?

I really hope the writers are more creative than that.

Mitchell82
June 20th, 2007, 03:49 PM
So basically Replicator Michael?

I really hope the writers are more creative than that.

How is Niam a replicator Michael? Personally I'd love to see him back.

Onebaseman
June 21st, 2007, 04:35 AM
How is Niam a replicator Michael? Personally I'd love to see him back.

The Atlantis Expedition's attempts to help a member of a hostile alien race lead to unforeseen circumstances and down the line lead to a return of that enemy and the team having to face the consequences of their actions!

That's what happened with Michael, Niam returning to the show as a villain would be exactly the same story, just with a replicator instead of a Wraith.

I'd have no problem seeing Niam return. The idea that he still would want to ascend is very interesting, but I have no desire to see Niam return to attack Atlantis.

scifi_lemon
June 21st, 2007, 11:18 AM
I'd have no problem seeing Niam return. The idea that he still would want to ascend is very interesting, but I have no desire to see Niam return to attack Atlantis.

I like going the ascension route more than coming back to attack Atlantis. I would like to think that Niam would understand that they had to kill or be killed. They didn't 'torture' him like Michael.

The ascension thing is very interesting; I mean *can* a Replicator/Asuran ascend? I'd like to find out ;)

ur uncle urgo
June 21st, 2007, 05:50 PM
what if we see rep koyla

Mitchell82
June 21st, 2007, 08:57 PM
what if we see rep koyla

Now that would be interesting.

scifi_lemon
June 21st, 2007, 09:23 PM
what if we see rep koyla

Neh, I don't like it. A big part of Kolya's appeal IMO, is the fact that he's just an evil dude; no scifi-ness at all. I like that but maybe that's just me. ;)

Mitchell82
June 22nd, 2007, 11:35 AM
Neh, I don't like it. A big part of Kolya's appeal IMO, is the fact that he's just an evil dude; no scifi-ness at all. I like that but maybe that's just me. ;)

No you're right. That's what made him an enemy you love to hate.