This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lack of Diversity

What is the deal with them not being more diverse. I can't remember one black person in any of the places they went to. There are no secondary black anything on this show. SG1 was great, they had returning characters every now and then. Since the first season they have gotten rid of everyone black and they have not added one since. They added a Tyr like character, but they didn't want the blackness of a Keith Hamilton Cobb. They got rid of Rainbow, what is the deal. did only the white ancients come to that galaxy. Which is funny, because the people in the beginning of the show were black.

O Rly?

Comment

Exec producer Joe Mallozzi has a blog. Try asking him. If he deigns to answer at all, the answer will probably be very creative.

Comment

I'd green you if I could Jenks

Back on topic, I don't really know how to respond to this topic. Other than to say diversity doesn't mean putting only black characters into the show, Jason Mamoa being hawaian isn't some sort of cop out. He was brought on because he was the actor who the producers best portrayed the character of Ronan
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodcold View Post
          What is the deal with them not being more diverse. I can't remember one black person in any of the places they went to. There are no secondary black anything on this show. SG1 was great, they had returning characters every now and then. Since the first season they have gotten rid of everyone black and they have not added one since. They added a Tyr like character, but they didn't want the blackness of a Keith Hamilton Cobb. They got rid of Rainbow, what is the deal. did only the white ancients come to that galaxy. Which is funny, because the people in the beginning of the show were black.

Ford, Ronon, Teyla?

And on the mention of DIVERSITY, Zalenka (though I don't know if David Nykl is actually from that country), Beckett?

Diverse does NOT equal skin color.

Comment

OH shut up. Thats all you get over here political correctness and crap like it. Every single advert or programme cant just have a group of friends of one race they all have to be mixed deliberatly one from each race chinese, asian, white, black you name it. So what if there are more white people in the show than black. I dont here you complaining bout no chinese or say pakistani people. Ive had bloody enough of it.

Comment

Don't forget several recurring Asian characters, Dr. Coleman (a senior scientist), the head nurse and the unnamed gate technician, Mellia the Atlantean councillor. Also Grodin of Indian descent.

And back to the Ancients for a second, in "Before I Sleep" the council that ran Atlantis had a black councillor
              sigpic

Comment

Would now be a bad time to complain about the lack of albino characters on Stargate? And television in general.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                  Would now be a bad time to complain about the lack of albino characters on Stargate? And television in general.
                  Lol and people with red hair.

Comment

Rising I&II, Sancutary, Condemned, I think Epiphany, Inferno, Aurora, Sateda, Phantoms, The Return II, Irresponsible (possibly Irresistable), First Strike. Get it together man, there were peoples of afro-descent on the show---some with lines some without. Check out the list below, more than 90% are off world missions with people of varying ethnicity.

Comment in red: Ellis is now secondary, and if you look on Zelenka's team on several eps, one being First Strike another being Critical Mass, you'll notice a lady of afro-descent with a TWA. There are actually two of them on the show always.

Oh please about the whole Keith Hamilton Cobb comment. Although, I won't deny that Ronon and Tyr remind me a lot of each other's character. I'd take them for brother's in arms if not just straight up cousins. Plus, I think if they did add Keith, he would over shadow all the men on the show, that's why I think they got rid of him off of Andromeda---he made Kevin Sorbo look bad. He was a wicked cool character. If they ever did bring him to SGA, I could believe he's from Sateda.

I think the writers have done a good job of diversity(it just screams tolerance when there should be a path for just existing)---which is not a word I like paticularly. I don't like "black" or "white"---ugh. Anyway, I'll just go on a rant of raciality/ethnicity if I continue on. The writers have done themselves very well for having a nice flavourful show of people as listed above in the show. I love The Return II because of the asuran of afro-descent, the guy was ruthless, not to mention his....umm...NC-17 related. I'm off!
                    Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Originally posted by marty2006 View Post
                      Lol and people with red hair.
                      Don't forget Sora of the Genii.

Comment

Oh I forgot to mention Before I Sleep, check out the line up of Ancients...lovely East Asian, ancient. Same could be said about No Man's Land---one of the head officers of the IOA.
                        Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Let's get some Aryans in there too.

Oh yeah...diversity roxors!

Comment

True! I DEMAND a token black!

Rofl, u realize half the main characters arent white right? Teyla and Ronin dont look like the guys in my carpool :-p

This is why diversity is never taken seriously. Its presence is always ignored or treated like its not enough. Why next someone might tell me that Obama isnt black XD

Comment

Miko Kusanagi anyone?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X