This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Effects of Gate travel in movie and first season

I did a search but couldn't find any discussion on this, so forgive me if it has already been asked.

In both the movie and early episodes of season one, SG1 and anyone from earth who traveled though the gate suffered from extreme cold and "turbulence" when exiting to the traveled world.

Why and how did that stop. We don't see SG1 getting thrown from the exiting gate covered in frost anymore. Why?

It was explained in one of the later episodes, I always forget which one...could be solitudes or red sky...I don't know :s

Anyway it was something about the SGC installing dampeners on the Stargate that stop it from shaking so much when it is activated and it also makes it a smoother ride for the travellers

And I think the actors would get fed up of being covered in ice every time they went through the Stargate...
    Last edited by Sam_o_Neill; 04 May 2004, 10:54 AM. Reason: Spelling Mistake

@->-4eva Sam and Jack!<3

^ My New Siggy!!! Made by SueKay! ^

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_o_Neill
      It was explained in one of the later episodes, I always forget which one...could be solitudes or red sky...I don't know :s

Anyway it was something about the SGC installing dampeners on the Stargate that stop it from shaking so much when it is activated and it also makes it a smoother ride for the travellers

And I think the actors would get fed up of being covered in ice every time they went through the Stargate...
      Right on the nose... I mean, who wants to be sprayed with wax everytime they come out of the gate?

Comment

Well I can see how dampeners stop the "shakey" exit, but not a good explination for the cold frost.

Guess I'm just over analyizing the cold thing.

Comment

Originally posted by GateGeak
          Well I can see how dampeners stop the "shakey" exit, but not a good explination for the cold frost.

They're not just seismic dampeners, that's where the connections to the gate are, the dialling computer, as of 48 Hours, disregarded 220 of the 400 or so feedback signals from the gate, back in season one they were still working on trial and error, they obviously fixed the connection to make the wormhole journey more smooth (No more flying out the other end.)

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c
            They're not just seismic dampeners, that's where the connections to the gate are, the dialling computer, as of 48 Hours, disregarded 220 of the 400 or so feedback signals from the gate, back in season one they were still working on trial and error, they obviously fixed the connection to make the wormhole journey more smooth (No more flying out the other end.)

So? It still doesn't explain why they don't get frosty!!!!!!
            sigpic
            Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
              So? It still doesn't explain why they don't get frosty!!!!!!
              True, that was the point of my second post.

Comment

True, that was the point of my second post.
                I know! I was pointing out Teal'c hadn't answered your question when he quoted it!
                sigpic
                Banner By JME2

Comment

Okay, there's probably a much better explanation out there than this, but I'm desperate to get off 'Larval Symbiote'...

Frosting sounds to me like a serious case of loss of heat energy from the transferred entity (in this case SG-1). As basic physics laws state that energy can't be destroyed (merely converted to another form), it is possible that SG-1's heat energy was being used to 'power' the shaking effect. So once the SGC fixed the shaking by using seismic dampeners they also coincidentally stopped the frosting.

Comment

i need a question answered....

in the film and the first couple of episodes in season 1, when people came out of the stargate, they wer frosty and knackard. how come they phazed that out, and is there an explanation for it?
                    or is it just a budget thing?
                    Zafrod

Comment

the freezing was aprt of the unstable connection as well as being responsible for the rough ride. when they got better at establishing a connection it got smoother and no more frost

Comment

This thread is too much of a coincidence.

check this out:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=446

Comment

Before entering the Stargate, every member of the SG-1 team eats a whole packet of Ready Brek. It's central heating for kids! (or, in this case, intergalactic medellers)

Comment

The wormholes are experiencing a drought and could not produce enough ice...

Just kidding...

Mira
                            "Now we wait for the Giaaant Alieens." - Nick Ballard

Comment

Hey folks!

I've merged two threads:

Effects of gate travel... and How come nobody gets frosty

because they both cover the same ground.

That's a funky new mod power we have here, which is nicer than closing threads... you just have to manage with the fact that messages are merged according to posting time... so read the title of the message if it's too confusing.

In future we'd appreciate it if you'd check to see that there isn't already a thread on the subject before you open a new one.

thanks

Major Clanger
                              GateWorld Moderator
                              In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X