This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe Mallozzi + Paul Mullie Talk Season 4

It's the motherload people, the MOTHERLOAD!!

Ahem, I mean...take a look at this: Link (could take a while to load).

This is our first look at the episodes of Season 4 as they are meant to be seen. There are definately quite a few surprising scenes in here that...well, I'll let you figure out. I might update this post in a few minutes with the highlights though, so keep...refreshing, or something.

Special thanks to tsaxlady who brought it to my attention; green her lots people.

EDIT: Here is the transcript:

---

JM: Joe Mallozzi PM: Paul Mullie

STARGATEATLANTIS.COM PRESENTS: RAMPING UP TO SEASON 4 WITH JOSEPH MALLOZZI AND PAUL MULLIE

PM: I think the show hasn't completely sort of gelled as of yet by the end of Season 3. We just wanted to focus a little bit more on the characters. We felt like, in Season 4 it's time for the characters to really come into their own.

JM: We want to do 20 episodes, let's look at what we did in the past; what worked, what didn't work. If possible...I wouldn't say rectify mistakes, but obviously there were some elements that we didn't really have time to concentrate on.

PM: It felt like we had to do a fair number of character driven stories.

JM: In the first half of the season, every character pretty much have their focus episodes; we got one for Keller, we got one for Teyla, we got one for Ronon, for Sheppard, for McKay, even for Carter, who joins the show. More than any other year, I think I'm really really happy with the overall bunch of stories we have.

New Faces

JM: Ok well, Jewel [Staite] was the first new addition to the cast that we brought in late last year...

[As JM goes on, we see footage from Season 4 of Keller; the 1st shot is of her just talking; then it switches to her looking perplexed at something in a containment cylinder; and then it goes to her reacting to a throwing star hitting a tree right in front of her]

...her character is very likable; very charming. I'm not saying fans are going to forget Beckett, but I think they're really going to like the Jennifer Keller character.

PM: We're very excited to have her on the show; she's been great; very talented actress; and you know, she's been on the show before, of course she was covered in Wraith makeup, which seemed like a shame at the time. But in a way...

[More Keller footage; she is standing on what seems to be a rope-bridge or platform]

...it was good because we knew we could bring her back as a human, and no one would recognize her and say "oh, she's been on the show before, and now you're bringing her back as a whole new character."

JM: One of the nice things that the Carter character gives us is...

[Footage of Carter from Season 4: Carter is wearing a headset and is in the control room conversing with someone (her hair is different, that's for sure)]

...she's so multi-faceted; you know, she doesn't have to be stuck behind the desk, even though she is the leader of Atlantis; she has a military background, so she can go out on ops and...

[More footage: Carter in the briefing room talking to McKay (check out her uniform!)]

...on the other hand, she's got the science background, so, you know, when McKay and Zelenka are sort of trading gobbledy-gook, she can get right in there with them.

Continuing the Saga

PM: We start shooting usually February or March, so we started breaking stories for Season 4 in probably October, November; that's kinda when we knew there was going to be a Season 4. At that point we did make a conscious effort to focus a little bit more on Teyla, on Ronon; we knew that Amanda was coming in so we knew we would have to deal with her. So we had a deliberate plan to do specific episodes for those characters.

JM: And then we got a bunch of team episodes, which are really cool; and also, in terms of this year, more than any other year...

[Footage: Teyla hugs Shep...yep, you read that right. Looks like an emotional hug too]

...has a bunch of, not only character revelations; revelations regarding relationships and things like that; but also in terms of big story arcs. We finally get a chance to sort of explore a bit...

[Footage: An angry-looking Wraith walks out of an Lantian-designed corridor]

...you know, the inner-workings of the Wraith. We find out a little more about the Replicators. We shift things in, I would say, a surprising direction. Again, I don't want to give too much away, but I think this season will be full of surprises.

We created a race, we call them the "Travelers". One of the nice things about SG1 for instance is that we would get to go off-world and encounter technologically advanced people as well as low-tech people. But the problem with Atlantis and the Pegasus galaxy is we said that whenever a race would get technologically advanced, the Wraith would come in and wipe them out. So there was never an opportunity for a race to reach that level. So we decided, well, actually there is a way; we just put them in ships, and so they're sort of an armada...

[Footage: Shep is led into the Traveler's ship, very roughly ; then we switch to the scene where Shep meets Larrin after what seems to be a beating by one of her hunchmen; another scene where a Wraith pistol is jammed into Shep's abdomen as he and Larrin make out. Oh yeah]

...of ships that basically go from planet to planet, and they come down and scavenge the leftovers of the societies that have been culled by the Wraith. They're a kind of loose-cannon, or a...you know, kind of rogue-ish, and untrustworthy in some ways, but also potential allies in another way; and generally the type of characters that I personally like; not black or white, but kinda grey.

A Fresh Attitude

JM: Just the fact that we would be producing 20 episodes instead of the usual 40 was such a load off of our minds that, you know, having the luxury...I mean, when you go down on set this season, I find, just the atmosphere is a lot more relaxed and laid back.

PM: I think that things are going really well. Joe and I are really excited actually about how the show is looking; we're doing a slightly different look to the show this year; we have a different post-production process, which has changed things up a little bit. We changed the costumes a bit.

JM: The actors are having fun, and we've implenmented read-throughs, so if they have any questions about the script, we can go over them early. So, um, I mean, so far so good.

Season 4 and Beyond

PM The irony is that we're working very hard to produce what we think is a very good season in Season 4, but our fate, whether or not there is a Season 5 is being decided by the back-half of Season 3, which we can't do anything about.

JM: Well actually Paul [Mullie] brings up a good point, and what I might suggest is, if every fan out there, let's say we have a million fans; if you guys can get 5000 of your friends to tune in to watch the show, we'll definately have a Season 5.

Five or Ten thousand, just average it out.

---

THE END!
    Last edited by PG15; 08 June 2007, 02:37 PM.

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
    It's the motherload people, the MOTHERLOAD!!

Ahem, I mean...take a look at this: Link (could take a while to load).

This is our first look at the episodes of Season 4 as they are meant to be seen. There are definately quite a few surprising scenes in here that...well, I'll let you figure out. I might update this post in a few minutes with the highlights though, so keep...refreshing, or something.

Special thanks to tsaxlady who brought it to my attention; green her lots people.
    LOL - Glad you like the vid so much.
    My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

I loved it...and not only because of some JT. Great stuff. I'm so happy to get confirmation that each character gets their own ep in the first half, but mixed in with team storyline. It was interesting how they put the changes..."looking past at the other seasons and saw what worked and what didn't work".

I liked the fact that Jewel will get a bit of her own love in the eps, so we can get to know her. So if there is a season 5, 6 and beyond, she'll have more and more of a presence, because I really like her addition. She's used rather well, I hope she remains secondary but used secondary like Zelenka and Lorne are.

Carter looks fantastic.

I don't have to comment on JT and apparent revelations in relationships. But there's also the wraith stuff an Larrin. I like Larrin, raped John's mouth at gun point...classic really!!

If I wasn't excited before and over the moon, now I'm ready to go ninja and trek my way up to that tundra of hell known as Canada to ransack their tapes on S4. Or at least take JM hostage....who's with me?!
      Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Ummm... don't you mean motherlode?

Vaberella.. I'm packing my snowshoes - sign me up!
        sigpic

Comment

The transcript is up on the first post!

Comment

Although I blame Sci-Fi for stupid airing changes which left U.S. fans screwed for the second half of Season 3 and a lot of downloading of eps, TPTB should look in the mirror for most of the blame for season 3. Some good episodes with a lot of filler IMHO. They couldn't admit they couldn't handle 40 episodes with the number of writers they had for three years. They sort of even admit it when they said they were happy to be doing only 20 shows this upcoming year.
            Spoiler:
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Redhooks View Post
              Although I blame Sci-Fi for stupid airing changes which left U.S. fans screwed for the second half of Season 3 and a lot of downloading of eps, TPTB should look in the mirror for most of the blame for season 3. Some good episodes with a lot of filler IMHO. They couldn't admit they couldn't handle 40 episodes with the number of writers they had for three years. They sort of even admit it when they said they were happy to be doing only 20 shows this upcoming year.
              I see where you're coming from Red, but at least they're rectifying the situation as best they could and will make this season the best season yet. And this also brings up hope of even better stories with little if no filler's to really keep us around and them around for the long haul, I'm also hoping they make it to 10 seasons, if just for the hell of it.

* To the comment in red, they straight up admitted it.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay Ali, you take down the blueprints, and I'll get the tools and weaponry. We need someone who's in Canada to scout...are you up for it PG15?! You know you want to know... We need someone to take care of the food situation, I can't work on an empty stomach...shoot, we'll raid JM's stash, plus he already knows the best place to eat.

Comment

Wow.

I've had my reservations all along (obviously) but always intended to watch S4 anyway. I'm seriously starting to wonder if I should bother. Because, well - I'm sorry, but I see only things to discourage me. I didn't see one thing in this that would cause me to want to watch.

1) It doesn't seem like they're too intent on keeping Carter in the city. Rather they're playing up all the reasons she can go offworld as well as be leader, as well as get involved with the techobabble with McKay & Zelenka. So that throws cold water on my hopes that she would just be playing a command/support role. They make it sound like they want her doing a little of everything. Which is just exactly what I didn't want to see.

2) As someone who has been hoping against hope that they would keep ship out of the SGA main cast, I've never wanted J/T to be played up - it's been one of my biggest fears for S4, and now it looks like they're going that way after all. I know it's not definitive (it is just a hug after all) but the talk about relationships.... *sigh* I watched this happen with J/S on SG-1 and I just don't know if I can go through it again. I just don't know if I can respect John if he gets in a relationship with a member of his team - it certainly damaged my opinion of Jack in SG1.

3) Is anyone but me bothered by the shortage of Rodney spoilers? We have lots of Shep stuff, lots of Teyla stuff, lots of Ronon stuff, and lots of Carter. But there seems to be a lack of Rodney...except for MC. I'm afraid they'll give him his one episode, and then he'll be relegated to playing backup for everyone else.

Completely discouraged.
                Last edited by Killdeer; 08 June 2007, 03:28 PM.
                - Life after Stargate -
                Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                sigpic

Comment

Thank you PG15 for posting the transcript. I couldn't get it to work.

More focus on the characters! A bunch of team episodes! Perfect!

Comment

We have evidence from David Hewlett himself that he's still got reams of dialogue to go through. Screentime for McKay has most likely not decreased by any significant amount.

Besides, I thought a lot of people saw too much McKay (and Shep) in the past few seasons; I guess TPTB just can't win in this respect.

Killdeer, you know how I feel about this, but I strongly advice you to at least give it a chance. If after the first episode or 2 you don't like it, then feel free to drop it. I just don't feel it's right to give up this early considering how different and unpredictable this season is going to be with all of these changes, in cast and crew.

Originally posted by vaberella View Post

Okay Ali, you take down the blueprints, and I'll get the tools and weaponry. We need someone who's in Canada to scout...are you up for it PG15?! You know you want to know... We need someone to take care of the food situation, I can't work on an empty stomach...shoot, we'll raid JM's stash, plus he already knows the best place to eat.
                    Oh, I can scout alright. I've spent the last week driving around Bridge Studios to practice for a driving test, so I know the grounds very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                      Wow. Ok guys, I know you all don't like negativity, but I gotta say....

I've had my reservations all along (obviously) but always intended to watch S4 anyway. I'm seriously starting to wonder if I should bother. Because I see only things to discourage me. I didn't see one thing in this that would cause me to want to watch.
                      It's not really the negativity, but the whole, "I'm not gonna watch" which this is borderline and based on complaints from a 5 minute footage which actually has a part two to it. A part two that hasn't been posted up yet. But you're already upset and ready to toss in the towel over a few clips?

Not everyone is gonna like everything, but give them and it a chance.

1) It doesn't seem like they're too intent on keeping Carter in the city. Rather they're playing up all the reasons she can go offworld as well as be leader.
                      I don't get your point. Actually I believe it's in The Seer, there are statements made which makes Carter someone who's there for the long haul, maybe even there in S5 as well.

2) As someone who has been hoping against hope that they would keep ship out of the SGA main cast, I've never wanted J/T to be played up - it's been one of my biggest fears for S4, and now it looks like they're going that way after all. I watched this happen with the J/S on SG-1 and I just don't know if I can go through it again.
                      Ugh, all relationships are up for debate. As a shipper I see a scene, I will think ship. Another person who's not a shipper of the same ship, or just not a shipper sees friendship moment that is played out well. Did you then dislike John/Teyla in the Sateda moment? Did you hate it in Phantoms? Did you hate it in Sunday? Did it ruin the eps for you? While I maybe JT shipper and see ship moments of future romantic development, that doesn't mean the scene in the first part is actually romantic in nature.

Shoot after watching Sunday I think Ronon is gay, if not gay bisexual. Do I have a problem with it? No, because that means he has a chance with Zelenka. He needs love.

This is one other problem, 5 minute of footage and people are jumping to negaitve conclusions on nothing. I could jump to positive, but I also know it could fall short. You're ready to toss it all out on a few things you don't like. I don't see why one can't wait, until the show airs and sees what is actually in a scene to make a decision---albeit negative. I'm always willing to change my opinions, your claim of giving up on the show is saying otherwise. "I'm unhappy, I think I'm not going to bother, cause I'm bound to be really unhappy when I see it."<---Impression given, just sad.

3) Is anyone but me bothered by the shortage of Rodney spoilers? We have lots of Shep stuff, lots of Teyla stuff, lots of Ronon stuff, and lots of Carter. But there seems to be a lack of Rodney...except for MC. I'm afraid they'll give him his one episode, and then he'll be relegated to playing backup for everyone else.

Completely discouraged.
                      Not really, since I know there's a part two coming on the site. So I can wait for the Rodney stuff. Further more, I find your fears a bit unjustified since in the past the writers have said Rodney is easier to write for and really There's still 6 eps unaccounted for in which McKay has plenty of time to show up. In the first part of S4 everyone pretty much gets an ep and is given team factor. Second part of season 4 is probably much of the same. So I don't get why you're afraid.

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                      Oh, I can scout alright. I've spent the last week driving around Bridge Studios to practice for a driving test, so I know the grounds very well.
                      Greatness we're good to go. I can be out there in a week. I have food in the fridge that will rot if I don't eat it as soon as possible.
                      Last edited by vaberella; 08 June 2007, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Wow.

I've had my reservations all along (obviously) but always intended to watch S4 anyway. I'm seriously starting to wonder if I should bother. Because I see only things to discourage me. I didn't see one thing in this that would cause me to want to watch.
                        Well, I guess everything is open to interpretation and people will have their own way of assessing what they see in the clips... however:

1) It doesn't seem like they're too intent on keeping Carter in the city. Rather they're playing up all the reasons she can go offworld as well as be leader.
                        I didn't see them "playing up all the reasons" she can go offworld. They discussed the character joining the show and mentioned that her experience means she can both be behind a desk, go off-world and get involved in scientific issues. No one of those aspects was highlighted/played up more than any other. They weren't saying she will be going off-world all the time. And other spoilers have confirmed that Sheppard's team stays as a 4-man team and that Carter will not be part of a regular off-world team.

2) As someone who has been hoping against hope that they would keep ship out of the SGA main cast, I've never wanted J/T to be played up - it's been one of my biggest fears for S4, and now it looks like they're going that way after all. I watched this happen with the J/S on SG-1 and I just don't know if I can go through it again.
                        You get that from one hug? Out of context, we have no way of knowing what that scene is about. It looked to me very much like a friendship/comforting scene.. though I wasn't sure who was comforting who?! And Sheppard looked as awkward as ever when it comes to expressing emotions... hesitating a moment before hugging back, just as he did with Weir in Season 2.

Completely discouraged.
                        Are you talking about spoilers in general or the video clips? I'm usually quite up to date on spoilers, because I maintain the SGA_Spoilers LJ comm, and I've not been aware of any sort of deliberate dearth of spoilers for Rodney. Bear in mind that a lot of the detailed spoilers come from sides and those are very random... you only get sides for episodes where there are roles requiring them to audition guest actors. So, as it's turned out, Ronon's Reunion ep and Sheppard's Travelers ep, for example, have been some of those eps. Miller's Crossing has also turned out to be one of those eps... it's just taken us rather longer to get the spoilers because of where that ep lies in the production order.

I can't really see McKay being relegated somehow... maybe he will get a little less exposure overall as some more is hopefully spent on characters like Ronon and Teyla who have been admittedly under-developed? But McKay remains central to the show and I can't really see that changing much, based on the info we have so far...
                        sigpic

Comment

Wow.

Completely discouraged.
                          with you on this

rodney is now my only reason for watching.

this vid made my stomach sink...but only seeing season 4 will determine wether i pretend season 4 didn't happen 'shrugs shoulders' nothin to do but play the waitin game. although i sincerely hope that shep/traveller love fest doesnt become a dominating factor in that arc.

i would just like 1 spoiler i could get behind and get excited about, you know something to cling to
                          sigpic
                          banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

I call 'meh' on this.
                            sigpic
                            Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Look. I know what you guys are saying. I do. And if this had happened a year ago, I would have completely agreed with you. Normally I don't always assume the worst.

But ever since SG-1 was cancelled, it seems like the worst has happened. I read bad news (well, news that to me is bad) and I don't like it. But then I say OK, it probably won't be as bad as I think, and I try to put a positive spin on it. And then a week or a month or two later, another piece of news comes out that confirms that initial worst fear. So then... I am down, but then I try to put a positive spin on that! And then another piece of news comes out to dash those optimistic feelings.

So..... it's hard not to assume the worst will happen, when it's been a consistant pattern of having it confirmed. People said "Don't overreact, she'll probably only be in a few episodes" when the news came out that Carter was going to come to Atlantis. And then the news broke that she was going to be in 14 episodes. People said, "Well, don't overreact, she's probably just going to command a ship and be a recurring character like Caldwell." Lo and behold, she takes Weir's place as leader and becomes part of the main cast. People said just recently that Carter would probably just stay in a command/support role and not get involved in Rodney's technobabble or go offworld. Well, this disproves that. So... can you see how it might be hard not to fear the worst, after this track record?

- Life after Stargate -
                              Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                              Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X