X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puddle Jumpers and Weaponry

Ok foks,

We no the puddle jumpers are equip with cloaking tech ( which can be switch to a shield ) and drones. McKay was working on a hyperdrive system for the puddle jumper in the ep ( TAO McKay )

My question is what if we could mount an energy type wepon given to us by the azgard to the front of a jumper and found away to power it?

Any thoughts?
    This is Colonel Steven Caldwell
    Commander of the Earth ship Daedalus
    we are ready to assist you!

" open up those bays all batteries "

sigpic

Waste of resources. Drones are the epitome of weapons technology, with the possible exception of an Ori Battlecruiser's main cannon. As long as you have drones available, why go with something less?
    sigpic
    http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Drones are like bullets, they will run out. Would be nice to have a back up weapon, just in case

Comment

Sounds like a decent idea dont see them doing it however.

Comment

I think C. Holmes is right it's a waste of resources to further arm something so fragile combat-wise. They'd be better off making a fully combat-capable version of the 'jumper from scratch instead.
          "It's because you just cant spell manslaughter without the laughter..."

"If you move around the letters in "Ori Infantry" it spells Meatsheild."

Comment

I would like to see it happen but asgard stuff mixed with ancient technology is kind of not worth it because mixing alien technology is bad and too predictable.
            sigpic
            i know this is an overstatement and untrue to the show, but i still think its funny kinda

Comment

A Rain Gun would look nice, and even better why not put some beaming tech in there, that would be sooo useful!

Comment

Well, the puddlejumper can only hold 6 or so drones, wouldn't be a good idea to add something that can be used when they run out. Rail guns would work well against the Wraith since they have no shields. I guess the real question is with a rail gun mounted on a PJ, would the rail gun cloak when the PJ cloaks?

: Green is Good.
                sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

It won't fit through a gate then.

Comment

Ok foks,

We no the puddle jumpers are equip with cloaking tech ( which can be switch to a shield ) and drones. McKay was working on a hyperdrive system for the puddle jumper in the ep ( TAO McKay )

My question is what if we could mount an energy type wepon given to us by the azgard to the front of a jumper and found away to power it?

Any thoughts?
                    Why haven't they installed any warheads on them or whatever up until this point. We saw what a 302's arsenal could cripple a Hive in 'No Man's Land' with a well placed shot. Therefore they can do that already but they haven't. If they did, a PJ could sneak up undetected to a Hive or Cruiser then attack it without anyone being able to stop them. Yet that have ignored this, even though it could be done without any problems. They could also install beaming technology on them, then sneak up on Hives who may not have their jamming technology activated, allowing them to blow the crap out of it by beaming a nuke on board. What are the chances we'll see them installing energy weapons on them or anything else for that matter. Not only is it a fanboys idea of a wet-dream (that probably will never happen anyhow), but there is nothing to even suggest that they can duplicate the weapons at all as of yet. At the very least wait until they have them on another 304 other than Odyssey before even thinking of such stuff!

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
                    Waste of resources. Drones are the epitome of weapons technology, with the possible exception of an Ori Battlecruiser's main cannon. As long as you have drones available, why go with something less?
                    Two reasons!

1. They are finite. Meaning they will eventually run out because only so many can be carried at any one time.

2. Firing them in large quantities means you need to have a lot of power in reserve.

The perfect example of this was in 'The Road Not Taken'. They fought off a single Ori ship by firing their drones. Which run down the zpm to a low level.

Yet in 'Unending', they destroyed 2 Ori ships in the space of a few shots, only taking a few seconds for each ship.

Energy weapons are esentially infinite as long as you have the power to keep them going. Therefore, they are by far a better thing to have than drones & if anything drones are a waste of resources. They'd probably be best kept as a last backup alternative incase the primary energy weapons were damaged or weren't effective against the particular enemy.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                      They could be installed in the weapons pods in place of some/all of the drones, not sure if a rail gun would be small enough to fit though.
                      @Cap116 - They would cloak with the jumper as the cloak is essentially a bubble, same as the shields. Anything within that bubble will become cloaked.

Beaming tech: We have no idea how big the actual unit that does the beaming is and whether or not it requires extra emitters/receivers placed on positions on the hull in order to function. Might be that it wouldn't fit in a Jumper.

@Athosian Death Facilitator - There is an inherent problem when you start mixing technologies of different origins. While a built from scratch version would be preferrable, in the short term I think we would have enough experience with Ancient and Asgard technology to be able to merge them aboard a Jumper with relatively few problems. But, like you say, even if it works there could be unexpected problems along the way and their interaction would be unpredictable in certain circumstances.
                      Nice name by the way

Comment

Beaming tech: We have no idea how big the actual unit that does the beaming is and whether or not it requires extra emitters/receivers placed on positions on the hull in order to function. Might be that it wouldn't fit in a Jumper.
                        In 'Revelations', it was fitted on a Goa'uld cargo ship by the Asgard if I remember correctly.

Even if it wasn't by default feasible to install on a PJ, they simply scale it back, meaning they get a smaller size but less range on it etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
                          In 'Revelations', it was fitted on a Goa'uld cargo ship by the Asgard if I remember correctly.

Even if it wasn't by default feasible to install on a PJ, they simply scale it back, meaning they get a smaller size but less range on it etc.

I'm not sure of the size, but I thought Cargo ships were actually quite large compared to Puddle Jumpers
                          Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
                          Check out my Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Matarrese View Post
                            I'm not sure of the size, but I thought Cargo ships were actually quite large compared to Puddle Jumpers
                            I know that, but the point I'm trying to make is that they can be scaled down from something massive like that of an Asgard mothership, to something minute by comparison.

They don't need the full version. All they would need to improve the PJ immensly would be to give it beaming capabilities from a couple hundred m's away. This way they can either cloak in on a target/location, then beam what they want on or off. Even if cloak was damaged or they decided to use shields for whatever reason. They simply swoop over the target, beam, then get back outta there asap.

I simply put it forth that they had the technology already, along with warheads or rail guns etc. Yet have never ever bought it up before. So if they don't bother with technology that they have, then I seriously doubt that they'll bother with trying to integrate energy weapons in, especially since we don't even know if the writers will plan on giving them in Atlantis!

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post

Ever hear of theworld war II bomber called the mitchell? They mounted a tank cannon through the nose in a variant so it wouldn't stand out against the profile as well as allowing phenominal firepower. they could do something close with the jumper.
                              "It's because you just cant spell manslaughter without the laughter..."

"If you move around the letters in "Ori Infantry" it spells Meatsheild."

Comment

Working...
                              X