Daniel Jackson and Teal'c Friendship Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daniel Jackson and Teal'c Friendship Thread

Right. I don't know if anyone ever created a thread like this and it somehow got erased. I didn't see anything like it.

At any rate, I have always love the (platonic) relationship between Daniel and Teal'c. My favourite episode ("The Changeling"), and a number of other episodes I love ("Avatar", "Orpheus", just to name a couple) show their friendship beautifully. I know I can't be the only one who appreciates it.

Who else is a fan of the Daniel and Teal'c friendship? What episodes which reflect on it do you most enjoy? How do you feel their friendship has changed over the years?
    Last edited by 1DanielForMe; 11 June 2007, 05:21 AM.

In 10 years of Sg1 you'd think there would've been more T/D interaction really, being on the same team n'all. While I don't view this pairing in a slashy way (yeah I know, makes a change for me), there isn't all that much hard evidence to go on apart from bits and pieces and a few eps such as the ones you stated.

I suppose D's defence of T in the Cor'ai would be a classic example. My personal fave for their interaction is Avatar. Loved D coming to T's rescue.
    sigpic
    "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

I always thought Teal'c turned on the Goa'uld because of Jack but stayed with Tau'ri/SGC because of Daniel. Daniel represented every detestable act he 'd had to commit in the service of Apophis and Daniel's repeated gifts of forgiveness gave Teal'c something no fight could, peace of mind. Or at least that was how it seemed to me in regards to their friendship on the show.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by candylyn View Post
        I always thought Teal'c turned on the Goa'uld because of Jack but stayed with Tau'ri/SGC because of Daniel. Daniel represented every detestable act he 'd had to commit in the service of Apophis and Daniel's repeated gifts of forgiveness gave Teal'c something no fight could, peace of mind. Or at least that was how it seemed to me in regards to their friendship on the show.
        That's a really great point! Where Jack and Teal'c were very similar in a lot of ways, Daniel and Teal'c seem like polar opposites. But yet they always seemed to respect and learn from each other in a much less confrontational way than Daniel and Jack did. I think Daniel is the only one who meditated with Teal'c and he's the one we see come to visit Teal'c's apartment in Affinity (and is also part of Teal'c's cover story there as he's supposed to be doing research for/with Daniel). And Teal'c said that Daniel taught him how to play the little Egyptian game in Fire and Water so they must be spending a fair amount of time together outside of work interacting in perhaps deeper ways than Jack and Teal'c seem to do (Jello wrestling and horrible fishing trips).

Daniel was the one Teal'c told about what happened to his father (Fair Game). Teal'c was the one Daniel told about finally feeling like he fit in (Orpheus). Daniel had to give up a chance to save Shar'e to in order to help Teal'c (Thor's Hammer). They worried over Sam and Jack together (Solitudes). Teal'c helped Daniel work through his feelings about Share's pregnancy and stayed to protect Daniel when he wouldn't leave her (Secrets). Daniel knew Teal'c would get his reference in Icon. They worked together on battle strategy (Mobius...well, alternates of them did). Teal'c comes right back to the SGC when Daniel is sick (Avalon). And Teal'c is the first one to have faith in Daniel in The Shroud.

I think my favorite moment between them was when Teal'c called Daniel a woman in Threshold.

Actually, I'm particularly fond of the whole process of Daniel working towards forgiving Teal'c in Forever in a Day...not just for killing Shar'e, but also for making it so that Daniel would have to go on after her. I also love Teal'c's goodbye to Daniel in Meridian, as it's one of the most emotional scenes we ever see from Teal'c.

Ack! I just noticed the original post is from two years ago!! I'm glad it was brought back up.

Comment

Originally posted by candylyn View Post
          Well, I have to disagree here with both you and Callista. I've always viewed Jack/Teal'c relationship as the deepest on the series. They had a very special bond and they understood each other as no one else understood them. They were not only friends but brothers in every meaning of the word (to be clear, this is also how I see Sam nad Daniel: deep understanding and sister/brother bond). And while Teal'c's first loyalty was always to his people, his second was to Jack.

Of course I realise that Daniel fans will insist it was to Daniel, Sam fans - to Sam and Jack fans - look above

Having said this, I absolutely adore Teal'c/Daniel friendship and it was one of the most interesting aspects of the series for me. While I do believe that in the beginning they were spending time together more out of proffesional interest; Daniel is an archeologist/anthropologist after all, it would be weird if he didn't want to get to know another culture which Teal'c represented; it's also possible that it was Jack's doing in order to give them a chance to resolve their issues (Sha're) I also believe that with time they became great friends. I agree with all the examples given above and here are some Daniel/Teal'c moments in my favourite episodes:

POV - when Kowalsky attacks Teal'c Daniel's the first one to leap to his defence
          BtS - while Jack and Sam stay close together Daniel seeks out Teal'c to ask questions. Also IIRC it was Teal'c who held Daniel back during his fight with Jack.
          Abyss - Daniel gives his idea how to help Jack to Teal'c. He could have picked Sam, Janet, Jonas; heck, even Gen. Hammond himself, but he chose Teal'c. That says something about their trust and confidence in each other.

I'll be back later with more examples.
          There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
          sigpic
          awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by col aga View Post
            Well, I have to disagree here with both you and Callista. I've always viewed Jack/Teal'c relationship as the deepest on the series. They had a very special bond and they understood each other as no one else understood them. They were not only friends but brothers in every meaning of the word (to be clear, this is also how I see Sam nad Daniel: deep understanding and sister/brother bond). And while Teal'c's first loyalty was always to his people, his second was to Jack.

Of course I realise that Daniel fans will insist it was to Daniel, Sam fans - to Sam and Jack fans - look above

Having said this, I absolutely adore Teal'c/Daniel friendship and it was one of the most interesting aspects of the series for me. While I do believe that in the beginning they were spending time together more out of proffesional interest; Daniel is an archeologist/anthropologist after all, it would be weird if he didn't want to get to know another culture which Teal'c represented; it's also possible that it was Jack's doing in order to give them a chance to resolve their issues (Sha're) I also believe that with time they became great friends. I agree with all the examples given above and here are some Daniel/Teal'c moments in my favourite episodes:

POV - when Kowalsky attacks Teal'c Daniel's the first one to leap to his defence
            BtS - while Jack and Sam stay close together Daniel seeks out Teal'c to ask questions. Also IIRC it was Teal'c who held Daniel back during his fight with Jack.
            Abyss - Daniel gives his idea how to help Jack to Teal'c. He could have picked Sam, Janet, Jonas; heck, even Gen. Hammond himself, but he chose Teal'c. That says something about their trust and confidence in each other.

I'll be back later with more examples.
            I agree that Jack and Teal'c had a very deep friendship and understood each other very well mainly because they are similar in background (both having done things under orders that they would never have done on their own, they're both fathers and husbands/ex-husbands), and also because they are fairly similar in temperament...which sounds weird since Teal'c is so stoic and Jack likes to joke around, but underneath I think they both take things very much to heart and value honor, responsibility, integrity, and making restitution for their actions to similar degrees. I guess what I meant about not doing things together in as "deep" a way as Daniel and Teal'c is just because neither Jack nor Teal'c seem like the kind of guy that would sit around talking about their feelings or the things they've done in the past. They seem to have more of an instinctual or natural friendship to me. The kind where you do things together but you don't really have to talk much.

The thing about Teal'c and Daniel's friendship that is so strong to me is that it is remarkable that it was ever there in the first place. Daniel has every reason to hate Teal'c down to the very core, but he manages to see past Teal'c's actions to the caring person Teal'c really is. He goes way farther than forgiveness, he goes all the way to defending Teal'c and then past that to trusting him in every way. Teal'c has every reason to look down on Daniel (much like Bra'tac does at first meeting "I could break him in half like a twig" or something like that), but he manages to see past Daniel's seeming weakness (at the beginning of the series) to the strong person Daniel really is. There are many places where they disagree, I think even at the end of the series, but they always seem to respect each other's opinions, methods and perspectives anyway and are able to discuss their differences without actually fighting about them.

Of course, Teal'c seems to be the member of the team who is most likely to support any of the others while at the same time most likely to call them out when they are acting selfishly or arrogantly. Somehow, though, he manages to do it in a way that doesn't make them mad at him. That is truly a rare skill.

And then every once in a while he goes off and risks everyone's lives with his Jaffa revenge thing. Hmm.

Oh, another favorite moment between Daniel and Teal'c was when they were Kel-no-reeming and Teal'c told Daniel that the most important thing he had to do to reach Kel-no-reem was to stop talking. I can't remember which episode that was, but it was very cute.

I also like that the first person Daniel goes to when he starts to remember his past is Teal'c. Although, I suppose that might be because Sam and Jack went home for the night and Teal'c sleeps on the base. Ah well, it was a very nice scene anyway. (And one of the best examples of CJ's ability to convey tons of emotion without saying a word.)
            Last edited by Callista; 19 November 2009, 02:07 PM.

Comment

im suprised this thread has barely any posts on it i thought daniel and tealc had a good friendship for example their scenes in forever in a day were fantastic.
              sigpic
              The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

Originally posted by chrono trigger View Post
                im suprised this thread has barely any posts on it i thought daniel and tealc had a good friendship for example their scenes in forever in a day were fantastic.
                I know! I love those two together!

Comment

I agree. Daniel and Teal'c had a wonderful friendship. The scene in Meridian where Teal'c tells Daniel good-bye was touching. It seemed to me that Teal'c and Daniel enjoyed working together too. I think that Teal'c enjoyed helping Daniel with translations.
                  Maybe that was some of Teal'c's favorite memories.
                  "I choose freedom." Teal'c Threshold
                  "To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important." Teal'c Stronghold

Comment

I Agree

the interaction between them was amazing, and if I remember correctly, Daniel taught him how to drive ... I believe it was mentioned in the episode of "affinity" a true friend would do that
                    sigpic

Comment

I wondered how Teal'c learned to drive. I never heard that mentioned, so I just thought that Jack taught him.
                      Daniel and Teal'c make an excellent pair of friends.

Yes, that was funny when Teal'c was teaching Daniel Kelno'reem, and Daniel keeps talking. Teal'c tells him that the most important element of achieving Kelno'reem is silence.

Good one, Teal'c!
                      "To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important." Teal'c Stronghold

Comment

Time to bump this thread methinks...

I always liked Daniel and Teal'c together. Seems to me, they didn't show them together as much as they should have, particularly off duty. Daniel was good in showing Teal'c how to live off base, when he finally got the opportunity. Even if it seems to have been only temporary.
                        sigpic

Comment

Clearly Teal'c spends a little time helping Daniel in the gym after a few years together!

Comment

Teal'c has such a caring, big heart. Daniel is like that too. No wonder they are good friends.

Comment

Teal'c is certainly an interesting character. Just alien enough to be subtly different, yet I'm sure the most loyal friend you could imagine.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X