This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Movies

Question: how much will these extended episodes with episode budgets cost. They’re coming out on DVD but how much will each cost?

sigpic

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
    Question: how much will these extended episodes with episode budgets cost. They’re coming out on DVD but how much will each cost?
    Well, they're movies so probably about $30 per DVD.

Or did you mean the production cost?

Sets aren't an issue since they're all built.

CG might get a little bit of polish but since all (Or most) of the intended models have already been made again not a huge issue.

Probably about the same as three episodes of the series combined.

Comment

$6 million-$7 million according to Reuters.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
        $6 million-$7 million according to Reuters.
        I thought it would be less than that should ok quality
        sigpic
        Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
        Metal gear fan

Comment

The main point was how much will it cost us as consumers for in essence an extended episode...on an episode budget.

In the UK we pay £10 - £15 which works out at $20 - $30.

i think that would be very expensive for a single episode of stargate, as a whole season of episodes is about 65 pounds.

Sorry for any confusion
          MERLIN1701

sigpic

Comment

Well we've already established that it won't be made on an episode budget, and I expect it's likely to be over twice as long as a normal ep.

Comment

I hope the films will be at least 100-110 minutes long (=2,5-3 episode).
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

i think that would be very expensive for a single episode of stargate, as a whole season of episodes is about 65 pounds.
                Even if it was true that these movies are nothing but "normal episodes" - which it isn't - they'd still need to charge more for it than one regular episode on DVD. Remember, these are going straight to DVD - they won't make their money back through TV broadcasts.
                Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Do we know how long they are? It would be nice if they were about 1:30 to 2:00 hours long. Almost like a normal film.
                  Tappity-tap. Tappity-tap.
                  LOVE HIM-> DT
                  ~Proud Member of the Ship Ship Hooray Special Ops Team~

Comment

They are 'normal' films.

Comment

Actually they will have way bigger budgets than any episode. As for their price, they will cost the same as a movie. Not for me though, I get a discount at Wal-Mart 10% off.

Comment

We spoke about this earlier:

1,8-2,2 million dollar = 42 minutes long avarage episode
                        5 million dollar = 84 minutes long "Rising"
                        6-7 million dollar = at least two-parter long episode with lot of CGI effects
                        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                          We spoke about this earlier:

1,8-2,2 million dollar = 42 minutes long avarage episode
                          5 million dollar = 84 minutes long "Rising"
                          6-7 million dollar = at least two-parter long episode with lot of CGI effects
                          Those figures don't mean anything!

They could easily make a 2/3hr film for the price of a normal episode. It simply means they'd need to cut down the sets & locations as well as limiting the special effects.

Not to mention the regular budget is more like 1.4/1.5mil for a regular ep than over 2. The whole season has 'standard' a budget of something like 30 - 35 million dollars.

I can't see it continuing as a long trend anyhow. The DVD's will be like $30 each. It may have a bigger budget allowing for more effects etc. However it still comes down to that it'll only be the same length as around 6 eps per year. Yet they are asking the same money as previous seasons despite the fact that they had 20 episodes.

A simple comparison: They take your favourite drink, chocolate bar or whatever. Make it's packaging a little snazzier, maybe even improve the taste a little bit. However they reduce it by more than a third of the previous size, yet will charge the exact same money for them!

Do you think that's a wise choice on their part or could even be considered as value for money....I certainly don't!

A lot of their fans are kids, who can't afford something like 60 dollars to watch what only amounts to less than a third of a normal season. So I'm sure they'll try & get Sci-Fi, Sky One to purchase the rights to them as well. If they only hope to gain revenue solely from the dvd's alone, then they need all the luck that they can!

Comment

I hope they will make such sets and CGI ship, race modells for the two movies, what can they use for Atlantis season 4 and the third SG series, but they never allowed of making this. JM mentioned they will use the new Continuum set (sorry, I don't know the English word - like a moveable simulation machine) in the last Atlantis episodes. You can watch pictures about this set on his blog here:
                            http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2...y-22-2007.html

I asked him about how long will be the movies some days ago, but he hasn't answered. He said earlier that they won't make too much deleted scenes, so the movied can be longer as an avarage episode. The best would be the Farscape : Peacekeeper Wars, where one movie was 2*90 minutes long. The DVD SG stories are so big that they need more time to tell us everything. Try to imagine a 160-180 minutes long movie (= 4 episode)! Wow. That would be amazing. BUT! They got "only" 7 million dollar, which is enough for 2-3 episodes long movies with CGI battles. This is the reality. We don't have to be sad, because everything is better than nothing and the movies will be so great! I hope they will make 2-3-4 movie in 2008 too with same budget!

Comment

I doubt very much that these will just be longer episodes. These are movies so they will probably be alot more epic than our usual episodes, plus from what you what you guys said it sounds like they have bigger budgets, so we will probably get more and/or better effects. I think it would be kind crappy if they just treat these movies as more episodes, because they aren't, they're movies and IMO they should feel like movies.

Comment

Working...
                              X