PDA

View Full Version : Not Interested

knowsfords
June 3rd, 2007, 01:48 AM
Usually I'm pumped during the hiatus between seasons and really look forward to the new episodes... but so far, I'm pretty indifferent to it. Does anyone else feel the same?

Nikki
June 3rd, 2007, 02:22 AM
Oh no, I'm way more pumped than I've ever been for a season of Atlantis to start! :D

Meg-Ann
June 3rd, 2007, 03:30 AM
Well, I'm pretty upset about the cast changes being made and whatnot, so my excitement is much lower than usual...Still looking forward to it though.

VSHARMA
June 3rd, 2007, 03:48 AM
Well, I'm pretty upset about the cast changes being made and whatnot, so my excitement is much lower than usual...Still looking forward to it though.

Same.

SGFerrit
June 3rd, 2007, 03:56 AM
I have never been so excited about a season of a show since seeing what is to come in season 4. Never.

jenks
June 3rd, 2007, 04:19 AM
^^ Agreed, even though I'm more of an SG-1 fan so far, I really am looking for to this season, more so than I can ever remember.

rarocks24
June 3rd, 2007, 04:21 AM
Season 4 has me pining for September to come already.

Pharaoh Atem
June 3rd, 2007, 04:24 AM
Oh no, I'm way more pumped than I've ever been for a season of Atlantis to start! :D

:cool: word

Falcon Horus
June 3rd, 2007, 04:41 AM
Usually I can't wait for a new season to start, no matter the show really.

But I really couldn't care less if season 4 would start tomorrow, next week or in october. I'm indifferent to it. I'd like to know what will happen to the city but I'm not excited about it.
Just as I couldn't care about the SG1 movies.

It seems I'm rapidly loosing interest in the whole Stargate-franchise. TPTB will have to rock my socks off to keep me interested.

And dare nobody answer that they will, because we don't know that. :teyla30:
You have been warned.

SmallTimePerson
June 3rd, 2007, 04:46 AM
Well I found a way to respark my interest in stargate... through Unofficial Stargate mods for already-half-decent-games-that-I-lost-interest-in!
Right now I am killing time until the Stargate:Empire At war v0.7 final is released for Starwars: Empire at war

Professor Chaos
June 3rd, 2007, 04:58 AM
I'm not excited about the season premier so much. Mostly i'm just excited about them bringing a ship decked out with Asgard tech and the mid season 2 parter.

vaberella
June 3rd, 2007, 05:41 AM
I have never been so excited about a season of a show since seeing what is to come in season 4. Never.

This is also the first tv show fandom I've been so fully involved in, not even X-Files or JAG was able to that. I was the silent lurker. This season is just gonna be amazing. And all the talk about some of the eps has me on the edge of my seat.

DONNA BOOTH
June 3rd, 2007, 05:51 AM
This is also the first tv show fandom I've been so fully involved in, not even X-Files or JAG was able to that. I was the silent lurker. This season is just gonna be amazing. And all the talk about some of the eps has me on the edge of my seat.
i definatley have to agree with you as there is not many shows i am interested in but the spoilers about some of the episodes sound great and i am bursting to see them now that is why i can't wait for it soon to be september:sheppard: :teyla:

Killdeer
June 3rd, 2007, 06:13 AM
Usually I'm pumped during the hiatus between seasons and really look forward to the new episodes... but so far, I'm pretty indifferent to it. Does anyone else feel the same?

I don't know if indifferent is the word for how I feel. But it's not exactly excitement. Maybe dread is a better word, or fear, mixed with anticipation. Kind of like when you're waiting for bad news and you just want to get it over with so you can know if it's going to be really bad, or not as bad as you feared. I guess I'm on the fence - just waiting to see.

mcbarr
June 3rd, 2007, 06:59 AM
Season 11 of SG-1? Hmm, not interested... :mckay:

Falcon Horus
June 3rd, 2007, 07:00 AM

LOL :D

petemoretti
June 3rd, 2007, 07:14 AM

Pretty much since after S8 I only watched Atlantis !

Major Tyler
June 3rd, 2007, 07:21 AM
Oh no, I'm way more pumped than I've ever been for a season of Atlantis to start! :DMe too! To me Atlantis has been going downhill ever since the end of season one. The familial feeling of the showed declined rapidly once they contacted Earth. I mean, they got rid of Peter, Aiden, Markham, Stackhouse, Bates, Corrigan, etc. and now they seem to just bring in random extras.

I know the show is supposed to focus on the main characters, but I liked knowing the extras and actually caring about them. Sure we have Lorne, Radek, and Chuck, but where did Stackhouse go? Why can't Bates even be mentioned?

Ugh, after season one the show felt empty, so I'm really hopeful that the soft-reset will bring about changes to bring the show back to that familial core.

Commander Ivanova
June 3rd, 2007, 07:25 AM
"innerested"?, 'course I'm "innerested".
With SG1 gone (not sure I'm counting the films) SGA is my sole remaining beacon of hope and light in the sci fi universe (OK not counting Dr Who and Torchwood).

Pharaoh Atem
June 3rd, 2007, 07:27 AM
"innerested"?, 'course I'm "innerested".
With SG1 gone (not sure I'm counting the films) SGA is my sole remaining beacon of hope and light in the sci fi universe (OK not counting Dr Who and Torchwood).

still have stargate universe

monkey_man132
June 3rd, 2007, 07:34 AM
I have never been so excited about a season of a show since seeing what is to come in season 4. Never. Ditto. Why wouldn't you be looking forward to season 4? :confused:

mcbarr
June 3rd, 2007, 07:58 AM
Me too! To me Atlantis has been going downhill ever since the end of season one. The familial feeling of the showed declined rapidly once they contacted Earth. I mean, they got rid of Peter, Aiden, Markham, Stackhouse, Bates, Corrigan, etc. and now they seem to just bring in random extras.

I know the show is supposed to focus on the main characters, but I liked knowing the extras and actually caring about them. Sure we have Lorne, Radek, and Chuck, but where did Stackhouse go? Why can't Bates even be mentioned?

Ugh, after season one the show felt empty, so I'm really hopeful that the soft-reset will bring about changes to bring the show back to that familial core.

Contact with Earth so early in the series was the worst thing that could've happened to SGA. That's exactly where the series lost that sense of wonder and danger, and the ditching of SGA characters started. Heck, I can think off the top of my head of so many SGA characters that have unjustly disappeared since then. Oh, well... I don't see how the "soft reset" (Atlantis stranded from Earth?) will work out tho with two geniuses in Atlantis, and Lantean and Asgard tech available. Will the writers dumb down Carter and McKay? Hmm...

Celcool
June 3rd, 2007, 08:04 AM
I would add "not interested" in my location beside "disillusioned" if I could. The reason are the cast changes of course! I don't even care enough to read the spoilers and I'm a spoiler freak for the shows I love. That tells a lot about my interest in the show.

bluealien
June 3rd, 2007, 08:35 AM
I have never looked forward to a season as much as I am looking foward to season four.. from the spoilers so far I am pretty excited to see what the tpb have planned for our characters. Can't wait for september..

maxbo
June 3rd, 2007, 08:59 AM
After being disappointed with the overall feel of Season 2 and about the cast changes after Season 3, I'm surprised to find that the spoilers have peaked my interest so much that I'm looking forward to Season 4.

That's a big change from the way I felt at the start of Season 3 where I had planned to watch the season opener and then fade away if it didn't hold my interest.

Now, let's see how I feel after I've watched a few Season 4 episodes. At this point, TPTB have my interest so it's up to them to either hold it, or kill it.

GateTMM
June 3rd, 2007, 09:19 AM
I can't wait. :D Sure, I'm a little nervous...The cast changes have upset me...But I'm confident that TPTB will still make a great show. It's still SGA and many of my favourites are still gonna be running around and fighting the wraith, as per usual. Looking forward to it!

nowvoyager908
June 3rd, 2007, 10:02 AM
I was really looking forward to the second half of season 3 after just loving part one of the Return. Unfortunately, many of the episodes I've seen since that high point have left me underwhelmed. Of all the episodes to date in the second half of season 3, the only two that came close to hitting the mark (IMHO) were Echoes and Tao. So, this general feeling of "meh", combined with my just hating the cast changes, leads to a definite "not interested" in season 4.

Cautious Explorer
June 3rd, 2007, 10:40 AM
Overall I'm looking forward to season 4. I have my ups and downs though.

I was very excited that they would be cut off from Earth. Now I'm a little disappointed that it won't be for long --I was hoping for the first half of the season.

I was very excited over Teyla's story arc, then disappointed when that got scrapped. But even with the changes, there will still be more focus on Teyla than in the past, so I'm hoping it will be good.

I'm not sure about Carter coming over. That concerns me.

I still think season 4 has the potential to be the best yet.

parisindy
June 3rd, 2007, 10:59 AM

not going to watch it

i love seasons 1-3! (minus sunday and first strike)
but now i've got a new fav show

:lol: yup!

I don't know if indifferent is the word for how I feel. But it's not exactly excitement. Maybe dread is a better word, or fear, mixed with anticipation.

i really wish i had that anticipation but i just don't..hope it works out for the better for you killdeer ((hugs))

I would add "not interested" in my location beside "disillusioned" if I could. The reason are the cast changes of course!

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d142/mercurys_winter/borg_assimilation_faces.gif

It seems I'm rapidly loosing interest in the whole Stargate-franchise.

gotta agree there

Heaven
June 3rd, 2007, 11:53 AM
not interested, I know how you feel, I'll try to explain why.
this isn't the same show we started watching in season 1
it feels like season 2 took the show on a very different path and by now they are so far gone they aren't even aiming at the same target anymore.

the writers couldn't keep the story arcs they started in season 1 and they keep trying to introduce new ones just to scrap them at the end of a season.
I think the first season had the most solid story arcs, but they've been completely destroyed by now.
it feels like the only thing people have to expect from atlantis nowadays is seeing the next ship come out, and the score of the next space battle.
and for those of us who aren't particularly hot on ships, and more interested in story telling, there isn't much to look forward to.

I outlined my reasons below, and I know it seems like a lot of complaining but if you really look into it you can see how much the show has changed and why some people are losing interest, it's always easy to blame it on cast changes, but the truth is there is much more to it than that.
----------

1. The wraith aren't as interesting and scary as they once were, this race had incredible potential but the lack of proper story arc turned them into very two-dimensional villans.
no more chills to the sound of a wraith dart, no big deal going up against a wraith or getting captured, even strolling on a hiveship is a walk in the park just like hosting wraith on atlantis.
the only ones we care to see now are eccentrics like Micheal and that other one, but what happened to the Steves and Keepers? they were poorly replaced by queens and scientists who couldn't scare a ten year old.
they used to feed for pleasure, now it's only for survival, it's really not attractive anymore.

2. I don't care for the expedition like I used to, every day is a new day with different faces and new redshirts. these people aren't explorers on an exciting journey anymore, they are just paid to do their jobs and atlantis is just a workplace.

3. Exploring the secrets of atlantis isn't as appealing anymore either, I don't know why but there is no way they can pull another Hot Zone feeling episode again. today it's just another ancient console in another ancient lab/outpost with another ancient screen. there aren't enough interesting features in atlantis to keep it interesting.
whatever happened to the mind-controlled tech? AI? cool artifacts?
instead of having the technology revolve around the plot, they're having the plot revolve around the technology, which is all the more frustrating when it's obviously going to be discarded in the end.

4. The latest story arc - the replicators, ignoring the fact it's already been done in SG1, there is nothing appealing about a race that is copycat to the ancients with pointless ambitions.
they have no interesting social structure, no personality traits, no dark secrets or old scores, they haven't even left their planet for 10 thousand years. there isn't even the appeal of finding out what sort of technologies they have since it's all Lantian tech.

Uber
June 3rd, 2007, 11:55 AM
After being disappointed with the overall feel of Season 2 and about the cast changes after Season 3, I'm surprised to find that the spoilers have peaked my interest so much that I'm looking forward to Season 4.

That's a big change from the way I felt at the start of Season 3 where I had planned to watch the season opener and then fade away if it didn't hold my interest.

Now, let's see how I feel after I've watched a few Season 4 episodes. At this point, TPTB have my interest so it's up to them to either hold it, or kill it.That's pretty much how I feel...except I wouldn't have faded away per se, just become more casual in my viewing. I would have watched the episodes, but not with any real sense of anticipation.

With the advent of Season 4 however, there are a lot of changes on the horizon, most of which I think sound brilliant and a few that could end up badly...but it's all in the execution.

So yes...I am anticipating Season 4 with an excitement I haven't felt for Stargate since the weeks leading up to New Order and Rise. :)

Rootortoise
June 3rd, 2007, 12:27 PM
have to disagree im afraid, everytime i hear new spoilers i get more excited, in fact i dont think ive ever looked forward to a season as much as i have season 4....i just cant wait to see what happens.....just wish it was on now the wait is killing me!!!!!

:D

Linzi
June 3rd, 2007, 12:44 PM
I'm really excited about season 4. I loved season 1, was a little disappointed by season 2, though I still liked it, and felt much happier about season 3. I really like the fact that there's a soft reset. The viewing figures show that a shake up is needed, IMO, though I loved season 3 personally.

I'm looking forward to see how the cast changes and new story arcs pan out, and I'm pretty excited about some of the spoilers I've read.

So, for me, I'm very interested and probably more excited than I have been before any other season. I really hope things turn out as well as I think they will. :)

PG15
June 3rd, 2007, 01:20 PM
I can't wait for Season 4 to start!! :D

That's not to say I think it'll be awesome; nobody can make that kind of prediction. However, things will be different, and I can't wait to see how that's going to work itself out.

ussrelativity
June 3rd, 2007, 01:38 PM
I'm looking forward to the state of Atlantis with all its damage from the end of last season.

ToasterOnFire
June 3rd, 2007, 05:11 PM
I must admit, my interest in the show has been waning ever since (IMO) the poorly executed season 2. Fortunately, season 3 was a great improvement, but now with all the changes in cast and PTB I'm more nervous than excited about s4. It doesn't help that most of the spoilers released so far are not all that interesting to me.

I'll still be tuning in in the fall, but I'm not on the edge of my seat. More like leaning back deep into the couch cushions. ;)

Willow'sCat
June 3rd, 2007, 05:14 PM
not interested, I know how you feel, I'll try to explain why.
this isn't the same show we started watching in season 1
it feels like season 2 took the show on a very different path and by now they are so far gone they aren't even aiming at the same target anymore.

the writers couldn't keep the story arcs they started in season 1 and they keep trying to introduce new ones just to scrap them at the end of a season.
I think the first season had the most solid story arcs, but they've been completely destroyed by now.
it feels like the only thing people have to expect from atlantis nowadays is seeing the next ship come out, and the score of the next space battle.
and for those of us who aren't particularly hot on ships, and more interested in story telling, there isn't much to look forward to.

I outlined my reasons below, and I know it seems like a lot of complaining but if you really look into it you can see how much the show has changed and why some people are losing interest, it's always easy to blame it on cast changes, but the truth is there is much more to it than that.
----------

1. The wraith aren't as interesting and scary as they once were, this race had incredible potential but the lack of proper story arc turned them into very two-dimensional villans.
no more chills to the sound of a wraith dart, no big deal going up against a wraith or getting captured, even strolling on a hiveship is a walk in the park just like hosting wraith on atlantis.
the only ones we care to see now are eccentrics like Micheal and that other one, but what happened to the Steves and Keepers? they were poorly replaced by queens and scientists who couldn't scare a ten year old.
they used to feed for pleasure, now it's only for survival, it's really not attractive anymore.

2. I don't care for the expedition like I used to, every day is a new day with different faces and new redshirts. these people aren't explorers on an exciting journey anymore, they are just paid to do their jobs and atlantis is just a workplace.

3. Exploring the secrets of atlantis isn't as appealing anymore either, I don't know why but there is no way they can pull another Hot Zone feeling episode again. today it's just another ancient console in another ancient lab/outpost with another ancient screen. there aren't enough interesting features in atlantis to keep it interesting.
whatever happened to the mind-controlled tech? AI? cool artifacts?
instead of having the technology revolve around the plot, they're having the plot revolve around the technology, which is all the more frustrating when it's obviously going to be discarded in the end.

4. The latest story arc - the replicators, ignoring the fact it's already been done in SG1, there is nothing appealing about a race that is copycat to the ancients with pointless ambitions.
they have no interesting social structure, no personality traits, no dark secrets or old scores, they haven't even left their planet for 10 thousand years. there isn't even the appeal of finding out what sort of technologies they have since it's all Lantian tech.
Couldn't have put it better myself, so I won't. Agree 100%. :)

EdenSG
June 4th, 2007, 04:59 AM
At this point I am very interested in season 4.

However since I am currently watching and enjoying season 3 episodes for the first time as they air on Sci Fi it has been hard to get really excited or hyped up about season 4. I just want to enjoy season 3 at the moment, but with that said I will add that....

I am very glad there is a season 4 and I am looking forward to it.
The cast changes have me apprehensive. Will they be good for the show or bad? - time will tell.
Most of the spoilers have sparked my interest. Though I have, for the most part, stayed away from the speculation threads. I been in only one or two that have been of particular interest to me.
Other things have me feeling good about the possibilities for season 4 come mostly from comments on JM's blog. I think having a core group of writers and directors working on just Atlantis may be an improvement - I am thinking/hoping this should be better for continuity; JM said there would be bigger arcs and more "connections" between episodes - I like that idea; and I also think the script read throughs that he has talked about will be good for the show. I see the read throughs as an opportunity for cast, writers and producers to discuss/debate character and story direction; having all (or most) of the big players in one room and discuss the pros and cons of a plot, character direction, dialogue will hopefully strengthen the episodes.

Once I have seen all the season 3 eps I expect my excitment for season 4 will increase. The only good thing is that since I will be seeing the last "new" episode of season 3 towards the end of June, my wait for season 4 will hopefully be only 3-4 months. My long wait, 6 months between the first and second halves of season 3 is over, and this is what I will say about that; been there, done that, didn't like it.

Diesel Vanilla
June 4th, 2007, 05:10 AM

Yep. Me.

I've never felt so low about an upcoming atlantis season - it's really disappointing for me to feel that way, but it's a truthful answer. Perhaps it's the best way for me to be - if I have no expectations, then maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. :S

However, as I'm in the UK and I don't have Sky, or whatever channel is going to air it, I probably won't see much of it anyway. My lack of enthusiam will atleast give some comfort to MGM and Sci-Fi because I doubt that I will be routing out other 'unofficial' sources of season 4 eps as I may have done with previous seasons, during times when I couldn't wait to view! :o

stclare
June 4th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Yep. Me.

I've never felt so low about an upcoming atlantis season - it's really disappointing for me to feel that way, but it's a truthful answer. Perhaps it's the best way for me to be - if I have no expectations, then maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. :S

However, as I'm in the UK and I don't have Sky, or whatever channel is going to air it, I probably won't see much of it anyway. My lack of enthusiam will atleast give some comfort to MGM and Sci-Fi because I doubt that I will be routing out other 'unofficial' sources of season 4 eps as I may have done with previous seasons, during times when I couldn't wait to view! :o

i 2nd that emotion

prion
June 4th, 2007, 08:36 AM
I'm waiting, but am a little ambivalent. The changes being made are, well, blech. carson's toast, Weir's basically gone, they're sticking Carter on the show. That in itself will probably change some dynamics (god, please let McKay grow up and forget about Sam). Some of the spoilers for storylines sound quite interesting, and what makes me come no matter how sucky an episode is how well the actors portray the characters. The trouble is that the show could definitely be better. I don't know why the writers don't push for more character development, more emotional depth. Are they scared of it or incapable of writing it? And will they please just ditch SG1 plots/villains and concentrate on the Pegasus galaxy, not dragging over replicators or gou'ald or whatever.

Although, I'm much more interested in season 4 SGA than the SG1 movies.

Mar9645
June 4th, 2007, 03:15 PM
The simple phrase 'not interested' is far too tame to describe my anger and disgust with what I know Season 4 is going to be.

My list of episodes to watch as of now is very short:
4 with Weir :weir:
2 with Beckett :beckett:
Reunion - Ronon's character-centric ep :ronan:
Travelers - Sheppard-centric and I'm curious about the new aliens :sheppard:

I'm hoping that there will be little-to-none of the SG-1 carpetbagger in any of these episodes.

As for the rest, as long as Carter is there and Weir isn't, the episodes are worthless.

Falcon Horus
June 4th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I'm hoping that there will be little-to-none of the SG-1 carpetbagger in any of these episodes.

Curious question...

What does "carpetbagger" mean?

Mar9645
June 4th, 2007, 03:35 PM
It's an American Civil War term used to describe Northern opportunists who went to the defeated South to take advantage of the situation. They carried their belongings in bags made of carpet remnants.

I feel the description is quite appropriate in this situation.

Falcon Horus
June 4th, 2007, 03:36 PM
It's an American Civil War term used to describe Northern opportunists who went to the defeated South to take advantage of the situation. They carried their belongings in bags made of carpet remnants.

I feel the description is quite appropriate in this situation.

Ah, thanks for the explanation. And yes, quite appropriate I have to agree.

the fifth man
June 4th, 2007, 07:47 PM
While I don't love all of the changes that have and will occur on SGA, I still look forward to this coming season. Afterall, I can't really judge it until I've seen it.

jenks
June 5th, 2007, 03:24 AM
The simple phrase 'not interested' is far too tame to describe my anger and disgust with what I know Season 4 is going to be.

You must be a millionaire!

stclare
June 5th, 2007, 10:13 AM
I don't know if indifferent is the word for how I feel. But it's not exactly excitement. Maybe dread is a better word, or fear, mixed with anticipation. Kind of like when you're waiting for bad news and you just want to get it over with so you can know if it's going to be really bad, or not as bad as you feared. I guess I'm on the fence - just waiting to see.

im with you on this. i will watch to see - its like driving past a car crash you just cant help looking! ;)

i hope though that TPTB will shock the hell out of me and make this all work. i would be beyond pleased if they did :)

Mitchell82
June 5th, 2007, 08:34 PM
After reading what is to come in season four I am as excited to see it as I am the SG-1 movies. I can't wait.

Nadji
June 6th, 2007, 01:28 AM
I can't wait for season 4, the lack of Stargate is killing me.

Mitchell82
June 6th, 2007, 02:07 PM
I can't wait for season 4, the lack of Stargate is killing me.

I know exactly how you feel.

Aussie_Fan
June 6th, 2007, 03:54 PM
I'm pretty indifferent. I'm waiting ever so patiently for the show to air before I make any kind of judgement about how good or bad it is.

Though I dislike most of the changes being made to Atlantis, I'm really excited 'cause TPTB are finally really thinking about the direction of the show instead of just pumping out miscellaneous episodes.

I would love it if Weir came back later on though :weir:

prion
June 6th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I'm pretty indifferent. I'm waiting ever so patiently for the show to air before I make any kind of judgement about how good or bad it is.

Though I dislike most of the changes being made to Atlantis, I'm really excited 'cause TPTB are finally really thinking about the direction of the show instead of just pumping out miscellaneous episodes.

I would love it if Weir came back later on though :weir:

I hope you're right that the writers are actually pro-active on SGA's direction this year. Working on two shows for three years benefited neither show in the long run and might have helped precipitate SG1's demise.

I'm not fond of Beckett being killed (and I wasn't happy with Janet being killed in SG1 - in fact, it's the same thing isn't it?) or Weir being 'downsized, displaced, whatever terminology they're fond of these days, nor Carter coming on board (unless the writers grow up and let Rodney grow up and stop being an idiot around Carter and she is supporting only).

I'd like to see the existing SGA characters developed. THe thing is that you've had three years of SGA fans devoted to the show, only to have characters yanked out from under them, and an SG1 character added (inpart, confirmed by producer) simply to draw SG1 fans to the show.

Major Tyler
June 7th, 2007, 03:44 AM
I'm hoping that there will be little-to-none of the SG-1 carpetbagger in any of these episodes.You make it sound as if Sam forces her way onto Atlantis and shoots Weir in the head herself to take command. :rolleyes:
As for the rest, as long as Carter is there and Weir isn't, the episodes are worthless.I wish I could see the future just like you! That would be so cool...although I would use my power for more important things than a TV show.

Cameron Mitchel
June 7th, 2007, 03:45 AM
You make it sound as if Sam forces her way onto Atlantis and shoots Weir in the head herself to take command. :rolleyes:I wish I could see the future just like you! That would be so cool...although I would use my power for more important things than a TV show.
Well, that's what it seems like TPTB is doing. But, I won't go there.

Major Tyler
June 7th, 2007, 04:02 AM
Well, that's what it seems like TPTB is doing. But, I won't go there.Even if that is the case, why is Sam catching the flak when it should be TPTB?

We have no idea about the circumstances surrounding Carter joining the expedition. For all we know Weir could have a nervous break-down and beg Sam to come over. If that happened would the Weir fans suddenly hate Weir for being weak and love Sam for helping her out, or would they blame TPTB for writing Weir badly?

You can't have it both ways...if you're going to blame the character for what the character does, you have to be consistent. You can't blame Sam the character when she does something you don't like, and then turn around and blame TPTB whenever your favorite character does something bad.

DONNA BOOTH
June 7th, 2007, 06:05 AM
When it comes to season 4 the episodes imlooking most forward to so far are
Missing
Doppleganger
The Seer
This Mortal Coil

Cameron Mitchel
June 7th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Even if that is the case, why is Sam catching the flak when it should be TPTB?

We have no idea about the circumstances surrounding Carter joining the expedition. For all we know Weir could have a nervous break-down and beg Sam to come over. If that happened would the Weir fans suddenly hate Weir for being weak and love Sam for helping her out, or would they blame TPTB for writing Weir badly?

You can't have it both ways...if you're going to blame the character for what the character does, you have to be consistent. You can't blame Sam the character when she does something you don't like, and then turn around and blame TPTB whenever your favorite character does something bad.
The "flak" isn't about Sam in general. It's about TPTB's decision to move Carter over, while booting Weir that's the problem. GTG.

Mitchell82
June 7th, 2007, 07:57 AM
The "flak" isn't about Sam in general. It's about TPTB's decision to move Carter over, while booting Weir that's the problem. GTG.

But you need to remember that the two things are not realated. The reducing of weir's role was decided before the decision to move Carter over.

Major Tyler
June 7th, 2007, 07:57 AM
The "flak" isn't about Sam in general. It's about TPTB's decision to move Carter over, while booting Weir that's the problem.Tell that to the Sam-bashers...:S

prion
June 7th, 2007, 08:19 AM

And killing Beckett, don't forget. There are even fans, like myself, who like Carter, but we don't want to see her on SGA because we happen to like SGA the way it is, cast-wise. And we like Weir, but oh well, she's basically toast.

mcbarr
June 7th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Personally, I've always liked Carter. The problem is not Carter per se, it's the preferential treatment SG-1 and its characters inevitably receive from the writers. Is it worth having a brief SG-1 afterlife, or an SGA that can stand on its own two feet for many more seasons? Anyway, I think the damage is already done, and I find it really difficult to see these ratings bouncing back. :(

Diesel Vanilla
June 7th, 2007, 09:15 AM
But you need to remember that the two things are not realated. The reducing of weir's role was decided before the decision to move Carter over.

I don't doubt that they have said that somewhere but I wish I could believe it! It's a teeeency weeeency bit of a coincidence me thinks! ;) Ah well... still not interested in S4 anyway... :(

Mitchell82
June 7th, 2007, 11:15 AM
I don't doubt that they have said that somewhere but I wish I could believe it! It's a teeeency weeeency bit of a coincidence me thinks! ;) Ah well... still not interested in S4 anyway... :(

It was on the news page awhile back. The two decisions are seperate.

Mitchell82
June 7th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Personally, I've always liked Carter. The problem is not Carter per se, it's the preferential treatment SG-1 and its characters inevitably receive from the writers. Is it worth having a brief SG-1 afterlife, or an SGA that can stand on its own two feet for many more seasons? Anyway, I think the damage is already done, and I find it really difficult to see these ratings bouncing back. :(

I don't think SG-1 receives preferential treatment at all. I think both shows get the same ammount. I don't see that the "damage" is already done. Personally I don't see any damage at all so I can see the show still doing just fine.

Schuey
June 8th, 2007, 06:55 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing if the show improves now that they can concentrate all their efforts on one show.

Mitchell82
June 8th, 2007, 03:58 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing if the show improves now that they can concentrate all their efforts on one show.

The quality would likely increase and since I feel the quality was fine it means the show will be even better.

pisces27
June 9th, 2007, 01:38 PM
I can't wait for S4. I think it's gonna rock!

Mitchell82
June 9th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I can't wait for S4. I think it's gonna rock!

Same here!

prion
June 10th, 2007, 09:52 AM

I do feel the writers give SG1 folk preferential treatment. Heck. Skiffy seems to. SGA is sorta like the stepchild of the Stargate franchise, or at least not the favored child, but now that SG1 is out of Skiffy's hands, it behooves them to promote the hell out of SGA. As for ratings, Skiffy needs to promote outside of its own channel - why not an ad on NBC? Heck, I saw ads for BSG on other channels but not for the 'gates.

Alas, TV ratings are crumbling left and right everywhere as TiVo and downloading are changing the way people watch. If Skiffy had any brains, they'd make episodes available for download with embedded ads you can't delete - then they could make money and ratings. SGA is one of the top (cough) illegally downloaded shows. That indicates a pretty determined fanbase.

mcbarr
June 10th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Alas, TV ratings are crumbling left and right everywhere as TiVo and downloading are changing the way people watch. If Skiffy had any brains, they'd make episodes available for download with embedded ads you can't delete - then they could make money and ratings. SGA is one of the top (cough) illegally downloaded shows. That indicates a pretty determined fanbase.

Yeah, they really should adapt to the new technologies and so forth, or science fiction fans like us will suffer deeply from now on.

Mitchell82
June 10th, 2007, 11:35 AM
I do feel the writers give SG1 folk preferential treatment. Heck. Skiffy seems to. SGA is sorta like the stepchild of the Stargate franchise, or at least not the favored child, but now that SG1 is out of Skiffy's hands, it behooves them to promote the hell out of SGA. As for ratings, Skiffy needs to promote outside of its own channel - why not an ad on NBC? Heck, I saw ads for BSG on other channels but not for the 'gates.
I don't see how the writers give SG-1 preferential treatment or Skiffy. Neither show is advertised off of the network it's aired on. I have only seen BSG promos on the Universal HD network or NBC but that has been declining as the ratings plummet. The gates are rarely advertised.

Yes tv ratings are falling across the board due to Tivo and DVR but it is also due to networks screwing with the top shows. Crossing Jordan, was canned because of schedule change and Law and Order is in the same boat nearly beeing cancelled. Each network is mucking with the schedules causing ratings to plummet and I don't know how but those blasted reality shows are becoming a plague as their ratings climb. Illegal downloading doesnt have as big of an imapct as you claim. i was onw that downloaded both SG-1 and SGA because I was fed up with the outragous wait, but I still am watching. I have seen nothing to make me loose interest in season 4.

Wormhole
June 10th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I think I’ve lost track how many times we’ve warned them the cast changes will have a big impact on the ratings. And guess what season four hasn’t yet started and it’s already happening:weiranime22:. I don’t think it’s anything to do with what time its on etc. People will watch it when they want to watch.

I to would like to see SGA survive on it’s own two feet like it did back in season one:wraithanime11:.

jenks
June 10th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I think I’ve lost track how many times we’ve warned them the cast changes will have a big impact on the ratings. And guess what season four hasn’t yet started and it’s already happening:weiranime22:. I don’t think it’s anything to do with what time its on etc. People will watch it when they want to watch.

I to would like to see SGA survive on it’s own two feet like it did back in season one:wraithanime11:.

As if the ratings drop in season 3 has anything to do with season 4 cast changes! The VAST majority of viewers won't even be aware of the changes...

Falcon Horus
June 10th, 2007, 02:47 PM
As if the ratings drop in season 3 has anything to do with season 4 cast changes! The VAST majority of viewers won't even be aware of the changes...

Most likely the drop has to be contributed to the 6-month hiatus and the lack of advertising.
Cast-changes are a mere blip on that radar, but they do exist.

Mitchell82
June 10th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Most likely the drop has to be contributed to the 6-month hiatus and the lack of advertising.
Cast-changes are a mere blip on that radar, but they do exist.

Thats what I think but ratings are dropping on every network so who knows what the cause is, but it's not the cast changes IMO.

Lorr
June 10th, 2007, 08:38 PM
As much as I would have liked all of the cast members to remain, it is not practical in the situation. One of the issues many people have with TV shows that include danger in the storytelling is that those characters never die. It's always the red shirts.

TPTB of SGA have shown us, even if we don't like it, that sometimes the major characters are vulnerable. If Atlantis was never attacked or there were no lingering hazards because of the research necessary in the war with the Wraith, or with the Azurans, it might be okay to have major and recurring characters live on forever. But, the city has been attacked, there was weapons research and there are off-world expeditions. People get injured and die.

It would also be nice if there was mention of characters that are no longer there. I thought it sad that Beckett, at least, was not discussed. However, I can understand that the discussion would be difficult to fit in so that it made sense and was appropriate. Taking time out of the very brief 43 minutes alloted and still tell the story is not an easy thing to do.

Personally, I keep looking at the calendar and counting the days, even though we don't have a start date, yet. How long until S4???

parisindy
June 10th, 2007, 11:14 PM
As much as I would have liked all of the cast members to remain, it is not practical in the situation. One of the issues many people have with TV shows that include danger in the storytelling is that those characters never die. It's always the red shirts.

i honestly have never had this dissatisfaction. There are alot of shows out there that do a great job of inserting 'peril' without actually killing main characters off.

Do people really want main characters to die on shows? :S

oh man so glad i'm not watching season 4. I don't even want to see commercials for it...

I like my little dream land or reruns only

Falcon Horus
June 11th, 2007, 05:09 AM

No, not really.

I like my little dream land or reruns only

Or being in the land where season 2 and 3 haven't aired yet.

jenks
June 11th, 2007, 05:11 AM

Yes.

SGFerrit
June 11th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Yes.

Agreed. Though it's a shame about how Carson went:(

But...

Luckily he will be coming back:)

Heaven
June 11th, 2007, 07:29 AM
i honestly have never had this dissatisfaction. There are alot of shows out there that do a great job of inserting 'peril' without actually killing main characters off.

yep. I think that's the only way it can really work.
I think the best examples are The Storm/Eye or Common Ground, it was obvious to anyone that the major characters weren't going to die there, but what really made the peril was the possibility of losing atlantis/sheppard being old

No, not really. they just hope to get a peril kick out of it when the writing gets dull.

parisindy
June 11th, 2007, 09:18 AM
well it boggles my mind... its all about implied peril... i never wanted anyone to die

no wonder i dislike whats happened

Mitchell82
June 11th, 2007, 12:34 PM

TPTB of SGA have shown us, even if we don't like it, that sometimes the major characters are vulnerable. If Atlantis was never attacked or there were no lingering hazards because of the research necessary in the war with the Wraith, or with the Azurans, it might be okay to have major and recurring characters live on forever. But, the city has been attacked, there was weapons research and there are off-world expeditions. People get injured and die.

It would also be nice if there was mention of characters that are no longer there. I thought it sad that Beckett, at least, was not discussed. However, I can understand that the discussion would be difficult to fit in so that it made sense and was appropriate. Taking time out of the very brief 43 minutes alloted and still tell the story is not an easy thing to do.

Personally, I keep looking at the calendar and counting the days, even though we don't have a start date, yet. How long until S4???

You have made excellent points and I agree. The thing that always bothers me about several tv shows is that the main characters are never vulnerable. True they can show vulnerability without killing which they have done but to make it realistic you can't just have random unimportant people die. Once in a while someone major has to die to make it seem more real. IMO it's a necessary evil, and I'd have been upset if it didnt translate well on screen. As much as I'd love for everyone to remain the main cast is realitively still intact and I can't wait for season 4.

Cautious Explorer
June 11th, 2007, 02:26 PM
You have made excellent points and I agree. The thing that always bothers me about several tv shows is that the main characters are never vulnerable. True they can show vulnerability without killing which they have done but to make it realistic you can't just have random unimportant people die. Once in a while someone major has to die to make it seem more real. IMO it's a necessary evil, and I'd have been upset if it didnt translate well on screen. As much as I'd love for everyone to remain the main cast is realitively still intact and I can't wait for season 4.

It's a fine line. Kill off too many characters and who's going to invest in any of them. Don't get attached, they'll just kill him/her off. Personally, I'm willing to sacrifice a little sense of peril in order to know my favorite character will be back next week.

Aussie_Fan
June 11th, 2007, 05:25 PM
I finally figured out what it is that's erked me about season 3! There's no direction! (It all came to me after watching a highly recommended episode of Dr Who.. don't ask :P)

Season 1 was about exploring/finding ZPMs/finding a way to defend themselves and contact Earth. I love season 1! Then somewhere during season 2 - though the majority of the eps were great! - the direction was lost and season 3 was just anything goes.

From season 1-8 (I think) Stargate was about finding advanced technology/applying the technology/defeating the goa'uld/replacators/the whole government conspiracy stuff (which I loved) and then season 9 onwards was defeating the Ori and saving a galaxy. Plus the characters had a reason for being there. It kinda felt like Teyla, Ronan and Weir (to different degrees) were there because they had to be.

No, not really. they just hope to get a peril kick out of it when the writing gets dull.

Sorry, there was no kick for me when Carson was killed. I just rolled my eyes and waited for the next ep. Now when Groden (sp?) was killed in the end of S1, I was really upset about it!

Probably 'cause his death actually had some meaning to it.

Quinn Mallory
June 11th, 2007, 05:31 PM
I'm pretty psyched about season 4...it's going to be just a short hiatus, right?

Mitchell82
June 11th, 2007, 07:21 PM
It's a fine line. Kill off too many characters and who's going to invest in any of them. Don't get attached, they'll just kill him/her off. Personally, I'm willing to sacrifice a little sense of peril in order to know my favorite character will be back next week.

True it is a fine line but they havent crossed it yet. If Ronon,Teyla,Rod or Shep is killed then they have crossed it.

Mitchell82
June 11th, 2007, 07:24 PM
I finally figured out what it is that's erked me about season 3! There's no direction! (It all came to me after watching a highly recommended episode of Dr Who.. don't ask :P)

Season 1 was about exploring/finding ZPMs/finding a way to defend themselves and contact Earth. I love season 1! Then somewhere during season 2 - though the majority of the eps were great! - the direction was lost and season 3 was just anything goes.

From season 1-8 (I think) Stargate was about finding advanced technology/applying the technology/defeating the goa'uld/replacators/the whole government conspiracy stuff (which I loved) and then season 9 onwards was defeating the Ori and saving a galaxy. Plus the characters had a reason for being there. It kinda felt like Teyla, Ronan and Weir (to different degrees) were there because they had to be.

Sorry, there was no kick for me when Carson was killed. I just rolled my eyes and waited for the next ep. Now when Groden (sp?) was killed in the end of S1, I was really upset about it!

Probably 'cause his death actually had some meaning to it.
I'm not sure I follow. I didnt feel the direction was lost in season 3. It wasnt about one thing, seasrching for ZPMs like season one it was about diverting the Wraith from getting to Earth, getting backstory on ronon,Shep,Teyla and Weir oh and Rodney, finding a new enemy, saving Atlantis, and ending up in peril. It did have many stories but it was done extremly well.

scifi_lemon
June 11th, 2007, 08:01 PM

ITA. Personally, I'm bummed about Carson but if I were to be honest, I don't mind Weir leaving. I don't think that TPTB had to 'make her leave' or whatever the situation was, but I think that a reduced role for her would have been great. IMO it would open a lot more story telling oppertunities.

Think about it. Like in SUbmersion for example. The whole episode I kept thinking, "Um, why is the leader of the expidition here? Who's running Atlantis?" and it tarnished the epi a bit for me.

Mitchell82
June 11th, 2007, 08:09 PM
ITA. Personally, I'm bummed about Carson but if I were to be honest, I don't mind Weir leaving. I don't think that TPTB had to 'make her leave' or whatever the situation was, but I think that a reduced role for her would have been great. IMO it would open a lot more story telling oppertunities.

Think about it. Like in SUbmersion for example. The whole episode I kept thinking, "Um, why is the leader of the expidition here? Who's running Atlantis?" and it tarnished the epi a bit for me.

I'm bummed about Carson too but I will be open minded about Keller. As to Submersion it actually made sense that she would be there to me anyway.

scifi_lemon
June 11th, 2007, 08:11 PM
I'm bummed about Carson too but I will be open minded about Keller. As to Submersion it actually made sense that she would be there to me anyway.

Don't anyone proverbally cruxify me for this but...

I'm acutally kind of glad Carson's dead. Because if he wasn't, we wouldn't have spent all of this fun time trying to figure out how he'll come back! It's going to be one of the highlights of S4 IMO. :P

Mitchell82
June 11th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Don't anyone proverbally cruxify me for this but...

I'm acutally kind of glad Carson's dead. Because if he wasn't, we wouldn't have spent all of this fun time trying to figure out how he'll come back! It's going to be one of the highlights of S4 IMO. :P

*starts praying and hiring bodyguards for you* I actually agree..wait mabey I need some of those bodyguards too.:S

scifi_lemon
June 11th, 2007, 08:25 PM
*starts praying and hiring bodyguards for you* I actually agree..wait mabey I need some of those bodyguards too.:S

But you're in the military! You don't need bodyguards! :P

I should be hiring *you* to protect *me*. And to build that darn time machine! ;)

Mitchell82
June 11th, 2007, 08:32 PM
But you're in the military! You don't need bodyguards! :P

I should be hiring *you* to protect *me*. And to build that darn time machine! ;)

Yeah I am but me against hundreds of Angry Carson fans? I guess as long as I have my M16 we're pretty safe. As to the second part I'm WORKING ON IT! Now where did I put that hydrospanner?;)

scifi_lemon
June 11th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Yeah I am but me against hundreds of Angry Carson fans? I guess as long as I have my M16 we're pretty safe. As to the second part I'm WORKING ON IT! Now where did I put that hydrospanner?;)

No, you have to use a P90 against ACFs (Angry Carson Fans). It's the only thing that works against them :P

Mitchell82
June 11th, 2007, 08:41 PM
No, you have to use a P90 against ACFs (Angry Carson Fans). It's the only thing that works against them :P

Crap! *runs to armory to get one *

Atlantis1
June 11th, 2007, 08:42 PM

Same here. I love the characters of SGA and learn something new about them every episode.

scifi_lemon
June 11th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Crap! *runs to armory to get one *

Don't worry, they haven't attacked...yet. ;)

Aussie_Fan
June 12th, 2007, 12:06 AM
I'm not sure I follow. I didnt feel the direction was lost in season 3. It wasnt about one thing, seasrching for ZPMs like season one it was about diverting the Wraith from getting to Earth, getting backstory on ronon,Shep,Teyla and Weir oh and Rodney, finding a new enemy, saving Atlantis, and ending up in peril. It did have many stories but it was done extremly well.

It just doesn't feel that way. Season 1 had these stories that were great, solid episodes that moved the season on and eventually led to the huge, AMAZING season final. Exploring the city (Hide & Seek, Hot Zone), finding ZPMs (Childhood's End, Before I Sleep, The Brotherhood), contacting Earth (Letters From Pegasus, Home) and the wraith (which I can't be bothered to list :P). They felt like they had meaning to them.

Season 3, even though it had episodes like Progeny and The Return P1 & 2, didn't have the same strength. The big fat reset button being pressed at the end of most episodes didn't help at all. It stopped the stories from really continuing on in other eps. Nothing surprised me or really amazed me.

I dunno.. I hope that makes some sense. I suck at explaining things :P

Diesel Vanilla
June 12th, 2007, 01:55 AM
True it is a fine line but they havent crossed it yet. If Ronon,Teyla,Rod or Shep is killed then they have crossed it.

Crossed it for me - hence a significant contribution to my waning interest. They would have crossed it by killing any of the above too. :S All depends on your pov I suppose...

from an 'ACF' (sporting the latest in P90 protective pants!) ;) hehehe

Cautious Explorer
June 12th, 2007, 02:37 AM

But that's a little different than simply killing off random characters to create a sense of realism. Reducing someone's role because you don't have a compelling reason to fit them into every episode is quite different from killing off characters because someone's got to go this week. I would rather see the writing and production used to create a feeling of suspense within the story rather than the suspense being based on will a supporting character be sacrificed this time.

Celcool
June 12th, 2007, 03:11 AM
That's in your opinion, it's not a fact like you present it to be. They sure have crossed it imo.

And Carter as the leader going on missions won't do the same to you?

But that's a little different than simply killing off random characters to create a sense of realism. Reducing someone's role because you don't have a compelling reason to fit them into every episode is quite different from killing off characters because someone's got to go this week. I would rather see the writing and production used to create a feeling of suspense within the story rather than the suspense being based on will a supporting character be sacrificed this time.
Exactly. :) This isn't Lost, stop trying to copy it when you run out of ideas for smart scripts. Those deaths on Lost had a purpose while Carson's had none. And making Elizabeth recurring has no purpose either, except for bringing Carter but that's not something that could justify what they're doing, not by a long shot.

Heaven
June 12th, 2007, 04:57 AM
I dunno.. I hope that makes some sense. I suck at explaining things :P
makes a lot of sense actually :cool:

Mitchell82
June 12th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Crossed it for me - hence a significant contribution to my waning interest. They would have crossed it by killing any of the above too. :S All depends on your pov I suppose...

from an 'ACF' (sporting the latest in P90 protective pants!) ;) hehehe

Thats what makes these discussions all the more intersting. Seeing how many different views there are. As to the last statement glad you took it the way it was intended, a joke.

Mitchell82
June 12th, 2007, 07:29 AM
That's in your opinion, it's not a fact like you present it to be. They sure have crossed it imo.
I never said it was just my view on the matter.

Exactly. :) This isn't Lost, stop trying to copy it when you run out of ideas for smart scripts. Those deaths on Lost had a purpose while Carson's had none. And making Elizabeth recurring has no purpose either, except for bringing Carter but that's not something that could justify what they're doing, not by a long shot.
I think Carsons had meaning. He knew that that scientist would die if he didnt help, so he made a choice, risk his life or let someone die. Pretty heroic IMO. As to Elizabeth it makes sense to the point that whwile I liked the character she isnt as developed as she should be and as a character has little support nowadays. I think carter is a prime choice.