PDA

View Full Version : What I LIKE about Cameron and Vala joining the show

Truskawka
June 2nd, 2007, 10:05 AM
I'm totally sick of the "Did Vala and Cam kill the show" thread, so I think it's time for the opposite one. I truly think that Cam and Vala's characters contributed to the show's higher quality in seasons 9 and 10 very much and the actors actually made the show better.

Sg Gato
June 2nd, 2007, 10:34 AM
I'm totally sick of the "Did Vala and Cam kill the show" thread, so I think it's time for the opposite one. I truly think that Cam and Vala's characters contributed to the show's higher quality in seasons 9 and 10 very much and the actors actually made the show better.

Truskawka,

Are you inviting all types of opinions or just positive. If so, you might want to note it. :)

Jackie
June 2nd, 2007, 10:56 AM
Might want to make it the Pro Cam and Vala thread--ONLY.

ascendedancient42
June 2nd, 2007, 11:09 AM
The addition of Cam and Vala were just the right touch the show needed. Especially Vala. She's funnier than Jack ever was.

There is no way in heck Jack could ever have gotten under Woolsy's skin the way she did.

Skydiver
June 2nd, 2007, 11:52 AM
going by our history with truskawka and her strident and passionate preferences, i'm gonna presume that this is a pro only thread, thus i have changed the title to reflect that.

and a general warning, this thread is to discuss the characters and how you feel they made the show better. it is not a thread to slang off on your fellow fen.

Please keep it on topic and leave other fans preferences out of it

Trek_Girl42
June 2nd, 2007, 12:05 PM
I wouldn't say they made the show better, I'd say they kept the show from tanking after Jack left. :D

So yes, I'd say they made up for Jack's absence very well and added a very nice dynamic to the show; I've really come to love both characters.

the fifth man
June 2nd, 2007, 06:45 PM
I wouldn't say they made the show better, I'd say they kept the show from tanking after Jack left. :D

So yes, I'd say they made up for Jack's absence very well and added a very nice dynamic to the show; I've really come to love both characters.

I think both Mitchell and Vala made SG-1 better as well. They both did help add a new dynamic to the show, no doubt about that IMO. I wish we would have had more time to develop them both further, past Season 10.

jenks
June 3rd, 2007, 04:52 AM

The opposite of a neutral thread?

Avenger
June 3rd, 2007, 11:45 AM
I agree that they were a good boost to the show. After season six, the show's forumla beganto change as Jack became less prevalent and finaly ended up behind a desk. Season eight was far different than any of the other seasons. The team dynamic was lacking and the team spent far more time on Earth doing things as a group of three.

When Mitchell shwed up, the show went back to its early roots. The action picked up. Mitchell and Vala brought a different types of comedy to the show. as well. It was very refreshing.

the fifth man
June 4th, 2007, 07:03 PM
When Mitchell shwed up, the show went back to its early roots. The action picked up. Mitchell and Vala brought a different types of comedy to the show. as well. It was very refreshing.

Very refreshing, indeed!:) Both Ben and Claudia are excellent actors, and really breathed a lot of life into their respective SG-1 characters.

isabelqc
June 4th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Oh yeah! I love what Cam and Vala added to the show after RDA left/s8. Nothing against either, but these too added a new spark that I think the show needed after losing one of its main lead characters. I love the new team dynamic and the new sides they bring out in the other characters. Plus BB and CB are awesome actors and are blast to watch.

suse
June 5th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I fail to see how this thread is so different from the Pro-S10 thread to warrant a different thread...

suse

the fifth man
June 5th, 2007, 07:26 PM
I fail to see how this thread is so different from the Pro-S10 thread to warrant a different thread...

suse

Because we're not just discussing the impact they made on Season 10. We're discussing their cumulative impact, in both Seasons 9 and 10.

Mitchell82
June 5th, 2007, 09:11 PM

I'm not saying the show was bad before but it had the possibility of tanking when Jack left so I also agree that they did a great job in keeping the show fresh and making me want to tune in every week. I really loved the new characters as well and think they helped the show rather than hurt it.

Skydiver
June 6th, 2007, 04:46 AM
The title of this thread - and it's companion - has been changed to make it a bit clearer and less confusing.

However, this thread needs to remain solely about cameron and vala and not turn into a general pro or anti thread or it will be merged into the existing pro/anti thread - as in appropriate.

I will also warn folks that this is NOT the place to slang off on other fans. And if you want a real discussion, there's always the 'did cam and vala kill the show' thread, which is open to all points of view.

JackBauer2007
June 6th, 2007, 05:38 AM
I really believe they were a positive on the show. Browder fell into his own with his character abou4 3 or 4 eps beofre the end of season 9, and given more time would have been an excellent team commander. Claudia was just awesome from the word go.

There were issues that had to be worked out with those two actors and their characters. The creative team had to find ways to distinguish between Vala/Cam and John/Aeryn. For those that watched Farscape know what I mean. Doing that took some time and you could see near the end of season 10 they nearly got it right.

Seeing Sg1 get cancelled doesnt upset me as much as knowing that aside from a couple of movies, we will never see that version of the team together again.

ShardsofGlass
June 6th, 2007, 06:49 AM
I think these pro and anti threads are extremely silly and I don't understand the point of them.

sueKay
June 6th, 2007, 06:52 AM
I LOVE Mitchell, and he never got enough time on screen :(

Vala kinda grew on me, and she annoyed the crap outta Daniel, so yeah...like her too :D

ascendedancient42
June 6th, 2007, 07:32 AM
As much as I like Daniel, seeing someone drive him that nuts was awesome! Especially this sequence (paraphrasing):
:cameron: "If we can't get that thing off, you're just gonna have to marry that chick."
:vala: "Yeah! Let's make babies!"

I laughed my head off at that one. That's the thing I like about Vala; she's funny as heck!

Ruffles
June 6th, 2007, 10:34 AM
I was really worried when I heard Vala was going to be recurring (S9). I didn't care for her in Prometheus Unbound. But I was pleasantly surprised to be completely wrong. She is hilariously funny, and CB is a tremendous actress. She is believable doing comedy or drama. I found some her dramatic moments to be among the most powerful scenes in S9 and 10.

I've always like BB and wasn't concerned about him joining. Cam turned out to be a great character, a leader when he needed to be but also willing to let others step forward if necessary. I loved when Daniel called him "New Guy" and fussed at him for touching things without knowing what they were. I thought it added realism to a new team trying to adjust, and Cam's reaction showed he wasn't threatened.

I think Cam and Vala made the show different, not necessarily better or worse, just different.

prion
June 6th, 2007, 04:52 PM
I LOVE Mitchell, and he never got enough time on screen :(

Vala kinda grew on me, and she annoyed the crap outta Daniel, so yeah...like her too :D

I'll say 'ditto.' For me, Mitchell added some vitality to the show that was, alas, sadly lacking with RDA's last appearances (he seemed like he'd rahter be elsehwere and I got tired of all the lame jokes). Vala, yeah, she riled up Daniel. Takes a lot to do that!

Alas, even with new characters the writing wasn't always up to snuff.

the fifth man
June 6th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Seeing Sg1 get cancelled doesnt upset me as much as knowing that aside from a couple of movies, we will never see that version of the team together again.

That's not necessarily true. If the two SG-1 movies do well, we may very well see more of Mitchell, Vala, and the rest of the team. In future SG-1 movies. That's what I'm hoping for.

Trek_Girl42
June 6th, 2007, 10:27 PM
I thought I'd chime in and sing the praises of General Landry, who I have absolutely loved from the beginning. What's not to like about Beau Bridges?

poundpuppy29
June 6th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I thought I'd chime in and sing the praises of General Landry, who I have absolutely loved from the beginning. What's not to like about Beau Bridges?
Me too!!! I like how they have his character different then how Hammond was and I loved Hammond too but there is a difference they didn't make him into a clone. I love Cam and Vala too. Vala is a wild card and very unpredictable and Cam is someone who will take risks and has his own personality.

Mitchell82
June 7th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Me too!!! I like how they have his character different then how Hammond was and I loved Hammond too but there is a difference they didn't make him into a clone. I love Cam and Vala too. Vala is a wild card and very unpredictable and Cam is someone who will take risks and has his own personality.

Agreed. Cam and Vala along with Landry added alot to the show.

ChillinTheMost
June 7th, 2007, 08:19 AM
I was really worried when I heard Vala was going to be recurring (S9). I didn't care for her in Prometheus Unbound. But I was pleasantly surprised to be completely wrong. She is hilariously funny, and CB is a tremendous actress. She is believable doing comedy or drama. I found some her dramatic moments to be among the most powerful scenes in S9 and 10.

I've always like BB and wasn't concerned about him joining. Cam turned out to be a great character, a leader when he needed to be but also willing to let others step forward if necessary. I loved when Daniel called him "New Guy" and fussed at him for touching things without knowing what they were. I thought it added realism to a new team trying to adjust, and Cam's reaction showed he wasn't threatened.

I think Cam and Vala made the show different, not necessarily better or worse, just different.

I agree with the small exception that I did like Vala in PU, however, I was concerned about her joining full time. It has all worked out, though.

I also agree that the show is different, but, for my own personal enjoyment and because I adore Ben and his character, Mitchell, I prefer this incarnation of the show. And everyone seems so much more fun, and "happier", for lack of a better word.

As for Landry, I prefer him over Hammond. I know that's sacrilege, but I never was a Hammond fan. He was okay most of the time, but there were some times when he made me roll my eyes, and I prefer Landry. [I know I'm definitely in a minority on that one! :) ]

Trek_Girl42
June 7th, 2007, 09:31 AM
As for Landry, I prefer him over Hammond. I know that's sacrilege, but I never was a Hammond fan. He was okay most of the time, but there were some times when he made me roll my eyes, and I prefer Landry. [I know I'm definitely in a minority on that one! :) ]
I'm with you on that one- I too prefer him over Hammond. Really the only episode that I could care about Hammond as more than an exposition-provider was season four's "Chain Reaction". It's just too bad that we'll never get a Landry-centric ep. :(

I just feel like Beau Bridges makes his exposition scenes better through character, and I really like the personality that he's given Landry. :)

And Landry has a sense of humour.

ChillinTheMost
June 7th, 2007, 09:54 AM
I'm with you on that one- I too prefer him over Hammond. Really the only episode that I could care about Hammond as more than an exposition-provider was season four's "Chain Reaction". It's just too bad that we'll never get a Landry-centric ep. :(

I just feel like Beau Bridges makes his exposition scenes better through character, and I really like the personality that he's given Landry. :)

And Landry has a sense of humour.

I don't remember episode names, so I'm not sure which one "Chain Reaction" is, but my favorite Hammond scene was when Jack told him to press 1 [thinking it would be the President] on his speed dial and Hammond said, "Call my granddaughters?" I thought that was great. But most of the time, he seems to bluster just to show that he's the boss or something. Eh.

But I still like Landry a lot more. Nice to find a kindred spirit!

Trek_Girl42
June 7th, 2007, 10:01 AM
I don't remember episode names, so I'm not sure which one "Chain Reaction" is, but my favorite Hammond scene was when Jack told him to press 1 [thinking it would be the President] on his speed dial and Hammond said, "Call my granddaughters?" I thought that was great. But most of the time, he seems to bluster just to show that he's the boss or something. Eh.

But I still like Landry a lot more. Nice to find a kindred spirit!
Chain Reaction was the one where Kinsey was blackmailing Hammond into resigning. I love that speed dial quote as well. :D

Mitchell82
June 7th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Chain Reaction was the one where Kinsey was blackmailing Hammond into resigning. I love that speed dial quote as well. :D

Yeah me too that one was Small Victories. There were so many great quotes but my fav is "In the middle of my backswing!" IMO Cam, Vala and Landry kept the drama, action and comedy alive as well as the show as it could have fizzled out with the loss of Jack and they compensated very well.

Platschu
June 7th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Vala: Simply entertaining character. CB is a great actress, who had funny and sometimes dramatic scenes to show us her skills. Vala had good and bad sides and she became a very good 3D SG character with good backstories. I think Vala and McKay are the best written characters in the SG series, so they can be good examples for Teyla and Ronon. :o

Mitchell: I liked Ben Bowder in Farscape, but I felt he tried to so hard to show Mitchell as an other character next to Crichton and O'Neill. He is a great actor too and he became very good member of the SG-1. What I miss that he went to the SGC so quickly and we don't know enough about his time in the hospital. Was he there for one year (season8)? Heis so positive and he doesn't make enough mistakes. Sometimes I feel he is too percect to be a believable character. Lot of fans think Mitchell is only an O'Neill-Sheppard hybrid and a replacement, but BB made the character to be a very sensitive, intelligent soldier. He should have more connection to the Arthurian mythologies, but the TPTB tried it with the knights. I hope he and O'Neill will have more common scenes in Continuum to see what the differences between them. What will O'Neill do in a situation and what will Mitchell do in the same situation? etc. But I support Mitchell, because he brought a new colour into the SG universe.

Team SG-1*save the show*
June 7th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Yay! a pro cam and vala thread!!! At last.

I dont think cam/vala killed the show, it was those damn reality tv shows!!!!

I like cam and vala. Vala is just so funny and her plans, although sometimes stupid, usually work! ;)
As platschu has said there was not enough character development of cameron for us to see the real him. I also cant wait to see him in the movies.:) hopefully we will see how good he truly is. i enjoyed the sword fighting scenes in camelot!!!

Platschu
June 7th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Thanks. The gaters think that this two actor or the writers killed SG-1. No. SciFi Channel made. They risked ans sacreficed easily this show, because they hoped that other shows will have better rating. I think they know yet, what terrible decision they made with the cancellation. It is bit unlucky that the premieres were at summer, because if they could begin season 10 only at January, than they could see that the other new original shows are weaker than SG-1. But now, it is only the past and the DVD movies, Atlantis, the third SG series and the SG:Worlds game are the franchise's future. :cool:

JDB
June 7th, 2007, 03:34 PM
I definitely like the current cast for SG-1. Sure it might not be the same as the original cast, but they are still great characters who I think have brought a lot to the show. I don't think I really have a preference, because IMO both groups were good, and they were different enough that I don't mind saying I like them both about the same. I think SG-1 has been one of the few shows, ( like M*A*S*H and Law & Order) that have been able to survive almost complete cast change.

Avenger
June 9th, 2007, 11:09 PM
I'll say 'ditto.' For me, Mitchell added some vitality to the show that was, alas, sadly lacking with RDA's last appearances (he seemed like he'd rahter be elsehwere and I got tired of all the lame jokes). Vala, yeah, she riled up Daniel. Takes a lot to do that!

Completely agree. Mitchell in SG-1 has helped take the show back to the formula that got the show started so well. There's far more action in the show now that there was, especially compared to season 8.

poundpuppy29
June 10th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Completely agree. Mitchell in SG-1 has helped take the show back to the formula that got the show started so well. There's far more action in the show now that there was, especially compared to season 8.
ITA 100% When was watching the DVDs I felt season 8 lacked spark in certain spots PU is one of the few eps that had some emotion thanks to Vala. I like Cam because I relate to him more than I could Jonas.

SylvreWolfe
June 11th, 2007, 05:45 PM
I think they brought a breath of fresh air that was needed in a show that was growing stagnant. After watching Farscape for four seasons I find it refreshing to see Claudia in such a fun and light role.
Their addition made the show fun to watch for me.

Briangate78
June 11th, 2007, 05:49 PM
I think they brought a breath of fresh air that was needed in a show that was growing stagnant. After watching Farscape for four seasons I find it refreshing to see Claudia in such a fun and light role.
Their addition made the show fun to watch for me.

I posted this in the other thread...

Well I first did not like Mitchell and Vala come on, hated them, and the fact that RDA(O'neill) was gone. After watching them in action, by late Season 9 into 10, I felt like they were doing a better job. These characters have grown on me. I am happy that they came on because they got SG-1 to a record season. Still wish we had the old cast but hey things change. I am even watching Farscape for the first time.

Thanks Wolfe for the Farscape info! :)

poundpuppy29
June 11th, 2007, 05:49 PM
I really like how they interact with everyone. I like Cam but I love Vala she's a very complex character that some people can't or don't want to see. I loved Cam in Athur's Mantle I think that might have been my fav ep for him

Briangate78
June 11th, 2007, 05:53 PM
I really like how they interact with everyone. I like Cam but I love Vala she's a very complex character that some people can't or don't want to see. I loved Cam in Athur's Mantle I think that might have been my fav ep for him

I really wanted to see more scenes with O'neill and Mitchell or O'neill and Vala. Well we do have the 2nd movie! :)

MFA
June 11th, 2007, 06:23 PM
I definitely like the current cast for SG-1. Sure it might not be the same as the original cast, but they are still great characters who I think have brought a lot to the show. I don't think I really have a preference, because IMO both groups were good, and they were different enough that I don't mind saying I like them both about the same. I think SG-1 has been one of the few shows, ( like M*A*S*H and Law & Order) that have been able to survive almost complete cast change.

You said it! I believe TPTB got the best options available when they were forced to give up O'Neill. I miss O'Neill, but I like all the new guys as well.

Especially the fact that Vala bugs Daniel all the time. Vala and Sam are finally getting some "girl bonding", and it seems that TPTB are more comfortable with the Cam/Vala scenes and letting them have some "moments". Sure would have liked to see them continue in another season, and just see how far the team could go, I believe it would have only gotten better and better.

But am happy we at least got the movies!

The Farscape group knows this already - CB and BB's work in SG convinced me to give FS another shot. Yep, they are two incredible actors.

the fifth man
June 11th, 2007, 06:44 PM
But am happy we at least got the movies!

The Farscape group knows this already - CB and BB's work in SG convinced me to give FS another shot. Yep, they are two incredible actors.

The movies should be something special.:)

As the founder of the "Farscape group", I believe I speak for all the Scapers here on GW when I say that I'm glad you gave FS another shot.:)

SylvreWolfe
June 11th, 2007, 06:53 PM
A bit off topic, but interested to know, what is this Farscape group you speak of?

ChillinTheMost
June 12th, 2007, 04:03 AM
I really wanted to see more scenes with O'neill and Mitchell or O'neill and Vala. Well we do have the 2nd movie! :)
I was excited when I heard that Ben Browder was joining another show I enjoyed. My biggest regret? That RDA was leaving. I would have loved to see these two together. I think they would have been great fun. So... yeah! Hoping we see it in the 2nd movie!!!

Stef
June 12th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Yay, a thread that counteracts the anti one :)

Well, the obvious reason I like Cam and Vala joining Stargate is because it made me start watching the show to begin with. I watched the first 5 episodes of season 9 because of CB and BB and then tuned back in for season 10 because I heard Vala was coming back...and then became obsessed.

I've since gone back and watched some prevous seasons of SG-1 and the thing that I appreciate the most is the energy that both characters bring to the show. I pretty much love Vala's dynamic with everyone, and Cam has really grown on me. They're really just fun to watch. Plus, I am so happy to finally have a strong female friendship depicted on-screen :) Even if Vala and Sam aren't written any dialogue together, CB and AT manage to show that the two women care about each other (check out AT's reactions in "Dominion" this week).

As for Cameron, I really like how he seems like more a member of the team rather than a leader. I mean, he is the leader, but he just seems to be more on the level with everyone else...like nobody is that higher or more important than anyone else. I like that more egalitarian aspect to the show :)

-Stef

Mandysg1
June 12th, 2007, 07:49 AM
For those who want an open discussion thread, I just made one, The Cam and Vala discussion thread. All views are welcome.

Stef
June 12th, 2007, 07:52 AM
For those who want an open discussion thread, I just made one, The Cam and Vala discussion thread. All views are welcome.

Ooh, I believe I had that discussion before....and it did not go well :o

-Stef

JDB
June 12th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Yeah, but isn't Vala gonna be a bad guy in Contiuum?

Stef
June 12th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Yeah, I'd love to see some Jack/Vala scenes. That is my favorite fic couple. The way people write them makes me think they'd be great on-screen together :)

Continuum...
Yes, Vala will be Qetesh in the movie. I have no idea if Vala will be in there for any meaningful span of time though.

-Stef

valaareyn
June 13th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Favorite Cam and Vala Scene

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z147/valaareyn/quest.jpg

Jackie
June 13th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Yeah, I'd love to see some Jack/Vala scenes. That is my favorite fic couple. The way people write them makes me think they'd be great on-screen together :)

Continuum...
Yes, Vala will be Qetesh in the movie. I have no idea if Vala will be in there for any meaningful span of time though.

-Stef

Just wondering if any could gander an answer to this question:

If Vala is Quetesh in the movie continuum. And Teal'c is first prime. Then how would Jack, Daniel, Cam and Sam know that the timeline was changed at Ba'al's execution? According to what I read. Jack and gang are at Ba'al's execution. Ba'al goes back in time and makes it so the gate is never found. Jack, Sam and Cam go to 1939 to dig up gate in antartic and fight Nazi's. If Teal'c is first prime then one could guess that he would have no memory of the timeline.

Vala however, could have a memory of the timeline and that information could be used by Quetesh. There is no reason for the host not to remeber the timeline events if the rest of the team remembers.

So, why would Teal'c be first prime?

Mitchell82
June 13th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Ooh, I believe I had that discussion before....and it did not go well :o

-Stef

I remember it turned out to be a bash thread both the characters and posters.

the fifth man
June 13th, 2007, 10:21 PM
A bit off topic, but interested to know, what is this Farscape group you speak of?

It's not officially a group. It's just the Farscape Appreciation Thread I started in the General Sci-Fi Section.:)

Stef
June 14th, 2007, 04:14 AM
Just wondering if any could gander an answer to this question:

If Vala is Quetesh in the movie continuum. And Teal'c is first prime. Then how would Jack, Daniel, Cam and Sam know that the timeline was changed at Ba'al's execution? According to what I read. Jack and gang are at Ba'al's execution. Ba'al goes back in time and makes it so the gate is never found. Jack, Sam and Cam go to 1939 to dig up gate in antartic and fight Nazi's. If Teal'c is first prime then one could guess that he would have no memory of the timeline.

Vala however, could have a memory of the timeline and that information could be used by Quetesh. There is no reason for the host not to remeber the timeline events if the rest of the team remembers.

So, why would Teal'c be first prime?

Ah, the question of the day! I have no idea how it is going to work.
My question is more to how are Vala, Teal'c, and Ba'al going to have any kind of meaningful place in the movie if it focuses on the team traveling to the past. I want to see Qetesh and Teal'c interact with their team members...I'm presuming that that's why Ba'al chooses to marry Qetesh/Vala and have Teal'c as his first prime, as insurance policies in case SG-1 comes after him (or to just have some sort of perverse pleasure of sleeping with Vala and controlling Teal'c). And it's too much a coincidence for Ba'al to have BOTH of them in his camp. I can understand him remembering everything because he'll stay in the past and then change things up until the present.

So the only thing I could think of is that Cam, Sam, Daniel, and Jack somehow go after him and wind up stuck in 1939 trying to fix the error in the timeline (which would explain how they remember). There are supposed to be multiple timelines....so maybe they try to fix the problem then ffwd only to find that they didn't reset the present (as illustrated by Qetesh and Teal'c).

That's the best I could come up with. I really hope that Vala and Teal'c don't get pushed to the side in favor of the rest of the time. I'm really intrigued by Teal'c as first prime of Ba'al and Vala as Qetesh interacting with the rest of the team. That's the coolest part about this movie for me.

I remember it turned out to be a bash thread both the characters and posters.
Yes, I recall that as well :o Nobody is going to change anyone else's mind. The best you can get is agree to disagree and sometimes not even that is possible. I got so down on the show after trying to defend Vala/Cam in various threads that I eventually had to stop going. Only positive threads for me from now on! Curiosity be damned.

On that note, anyone else notice that the "Did Cam/Vala Kill Stargate Thread" has been changed to "The Cam/Vala Discussion Thread."

-Stef

valaareyn
June 14th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Wish they had more time together but I also like the interaction they have with the others.
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z147/valaareyn/sg1-10x11_2423.jpg

Mitchell82
June 14th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Ah, the question of the day! I have no idea how it is going to work.
My question is more to how are Vala, Teal'c, and Ba'al going to have any kind of meaningful place in the movie if it focuses on the team traveling to the past. I want to see Qetesh and Teal'c interact with their team members...I'm presuming that that's why Ba'al chooses to marry Qetesh/Vala and have Teal'c as his first prime, as insurance policies in case SG-1 comes after him (or to just have some sort of perverse pleasure of sleeping with Vala and controlling Teal'c). And it's too much a coincidence for Ba'al to have BOTH of them in his camp. I can understand him remembering everything because he'll stay in the past and then change things up until the present.

So the only thing I could think of is that Cam, Sam, Daniel, and Jack somehow go after him and wind up stuck in 1939 trying to fix the error in the timeline (which would explain how they remember). There are supposed to be multiple timelines....so maybe they try to fix the problem then ffwd only to find that they didn't reset the present (as illustrated by Qetesh and Teal'c).

That's the best I could come up with. I really hope that Vala and Teal'c don't get pushed to the side in favor of the rest of the time. I'm really intrigued by Teal'c as first prime of Ba'al and Vala as Qetesh interacting with the rest of the team. That's the coolest part about this movie for me.

Yes, I recall that as well :o Nobody is going to change anyone else's mind. The best you can get is agree to disagree and sometimes not even that is possible. I got so down on the show after trying to defend Vala/Cam in various threads that I eventually had to stop going. Only positive threads for me from now on! Curiosity be damned.

On that note, anyone else notice that the "Did Cam/Vala Kill Stargate Thread" has been changed to "The Cam/Vala Discussion Thread."

-Stef
I noticed it as well, I guess the mods felt they had too. I just wish everyone felt like you and I do, just agreeing to disagree. Most of the the time alot of the disagreers just neg you. I almost did for making that statement, thankfully they couldnt.

Mitchell82
June 14th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Wish they had more time together but I also like the interaction they have with the others.

I wish they did too. They have such great chemistry.

the fifth man
June 14th, 2007, 06:45 PM
I wish they did too. They have such great chemistry.

Indeed they do. With each other and now with the rest of the SG-1 team as well IMO.

poundpuppy29
June 14th, 2007, 06:57 PM
I agree but some get stuck on the past and can't let go of certain characters and can't appreciate the new ones and see them for gems that they are. I love their characters and they do interact with everyone else very well.

esoap524
June 14th, 2007, 08:37 PM

I don't know about "better", as in better than the preceding 8 seasons, but I sure like looking at the pretty that is Ben and Claudia.

And your banner is lovely as well ;)

In all seriousness, the second half of season 10 is superior, imho, than season 9 or the first half of season 10. I especially like the little bit of Vala and Sam interaction we've gotten, along with the Cam/Sam interaction. The characters seemed to have settled in (meaning the writers have) and there's been more depth from both Vala and Cameron, imho.

Vala's still comical, which is good, but she's had some really dramatic moments, in one particular in "Unending" that just ripped my heart out. Ouch!. But there were also some Tomin/Vala moments that were outstanding, as well as some Adria/Vala stuff that was a bit angsty.

It seems to me, regarding mitchell, that one of his most defining character moments is in "Unending" where he has his little breakdown and trashes his room. All that frustration of standing still, and probably some sexual frustration too, judging from his Love Boat comments, watching Vala walk out of Daniel's room looking like a well fed cat, and then going straight to Landry to say that they have to find a way off the ship--all of that is great character stuff for Mitchell. I just wish they hadn't waited so darned long to show us this flaw of his.

I'm really sad the show's going to be off now for awhile; I'm starting to like the team as is and am looking forward the movies.

JDB
June 15th, 2007, 08:15 AM
I'm in the US so I won't see Unending till next week, but I do have one question about it. Do you know if the events that occur during time dilation thing will have a lasting effect on the characters, or is everything reset at the end?

valaareyn
June 15th, 2007, 08:24 AM
I'm in the US so I won't see Unending till next week, but I do have one question about it. Do you know if the events that occur during time dilation thing will have a lasting effect on the characters, or is everything reset at the end?

Do you really want to be spoiled? If you can't wait, here is the answer.
80% reset, 20% lasting effect.

JDB
June 15th, 2007, 08:29 AM

Cool I'm glad they don't completely reset everything, because I hate it when scifi shows have all sorts of character development in an episode and then completely reset everything back to the way it was before.

Mitchell82
June 15th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Cool I'm glad they don't completely reset everything, because I hate it when scifi shows have all sorts of character development in an episode and then completely reset everything back to the way it was before.

Agreed they did it quite well but scifi isnt the only genre to do that. Ever see the horrible Roseanne finale?

the fifth man
June 15th, 2007, 06:37 PM
"Dominion" was yet another great showing for the talents of Ben Browder and Claudia Black IMO. Both Vala and Mitchell were great in this one.

poundpuppy29
June 15th, 2007, 07:21 PM
"Dominion" was yet another great showing for the talents of Ben Browder and Claudia Black IMO. Both Vala and Mitchell were great in this one.
ITA 100% both characters shined in this ep. What I love about Vala is how complex she is. This ep showed us how clever and brave she is. Cam was soo good he is a good leader he didn't miss a thing.

Stef
June 15th, 2007, 07:49 PM
ITA 100% both characters shined in this ep. What I love about Vala is how complex she is. This ep showed us how clever and brave she is. Cam was soo good he is a good leader he didn't miss a thing.
ITA. Mitchell has really been impressing me with his leadership skills as as of late. I was kind of hesitant about him at first but he's been proving himself this season. I think the writers and BB are finally confident in Mitchell now. I really like his little moment with Vala, I really like how he cares about his team...always looking after them :o

CB was of course brilliant again. I always find that the episodes with Adria seem to be the ones that allow Vala to show the most complexity (maybe because it opposes her normal playfulness). I would have loved it if this episode had been broken up into two episodes (one that could have aired instead of FT), expanding on the stuff Vala goes through in the first 20 minutes. It could have ended with...
...capturing Adria and finding out she's Ba'al. That way we would get more Ba'al as Adria and Vala angst. A win-win, I think.
-Stef

Mitchell82
June 16th, 2007, 12:30 PM

ITA. They both really shined in this one.

petemoretti
June 16th, 2007, 12:37 PM

Actually it's more like 83,33% reset, 16,67% lasting effect. :)
And I never thought I'd post here :cool:

the fifth man
June 16th, 2007, 08:21 PM
ITA. Mitchell has really been impressing me with his leadership skills as as of late. I was kind of hesitant about him at first but he's been proving himself this season. I think the writers and BB are finally confident in Mitchell now. I really like his little moment with Vala, I really like how he cares about his team...always looking after them :o

CB was of course brilliant again. I always find that the episodes with Adria seem to be the ones that allow Vala to show the most complexity (maybe because it opposes her normal playfulness). I would have loved it if this episode had been broken up into two episodes (one that could have aired instead of FT), expanding on the stuff Vala goes through in the first 20 minutes. It could have ended with...
...capturing Adria and finding out she's Ba'al. That way we would get more Ba'al as Adria and Vala angst. A win-win, I think.
-Stef

Mitchell has definitely become a very capable leader of SG-1. He's come a long way since Season 9 IMO. He certainly cares about the members of his team, no doubt about that.:)

I do agree about Vala. The episodes involving Adria do bring out a little more complexity in her character.

As for "Dominion" being a two-parter, that would have been a great idea IMO as well. But "Family Ties" did serve a purpose too. With the show ending, it helped get in some more personal story-time for certain characters that otherwise never would have had any resolution.

Rac80
June 17th, 2007, 07:42 AM
the laughs from Vala being so outrageous and Cam's references to his grandma. too darn funny.

Stef
June 17th, 2007, 10:42 AM
As for "Dominion" being a two-parter, that would have been a great idea IMO as well. But "Family Ties" did serve a purpose too. With the show ending, it helped get in some more personal story-time for certain characters that otherwise never would have had any resolution.

That's true....and we got Sam/Vala moments that I had so desperately hoped for :) Plus, we got a rare and wonderful Landry/Vala moment as well. That's probably the best part of FT, the team factor...how everyone was protective of Vala. I guess I shouldn't dismiss what this episode brought to the table in that regard.

-Stef

poundpuppy29
June 17th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Yes those parts of FT saved it for me too. Teal'c was protective of her also. The only thing that irked me was the D&V scene but that's a subject for another thread.

Stef
June 17th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Yes those parts of FT saved it for me too. Teal'c was protective of her also. The only thing that irked me was the D&V scene but that's a subject for another thread.

Indeed it is ;)

-Stef

Mitchell82
June 17th, 2007, 01:55 PM

Actually I loved that part, but that's for another thread. Dominion truly showed the best of this show and the characters IMO.

Trek_Girl42
June 17th, 2007, 05:31 PM
That's true....and we got Sam/Vala moments that I had so desperately hoped for :) Plus, we got a rare and wonderful Landry/Vala moment as well. That's probably the best part of FT, the team factor...how everyone was protective of Vala. I guess I shouldn't dismiss what this episode brought to the table in that regard.

I too desperately hoped for some more Sam/Vala moments and Family Ties delivered on that perfectly, same with that lovely Vala/Landry scene. As whole it wasn't particularly good, but that episode had some great scenes.

JDB
June 18th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Yeah, these last two episodes have deffinitely given us some great character moments for everyone I think, especially Vala.

MSHANKS35
June 18th, 2007, 05:24 PM
I like both Cam and Vala. There both great characters. I liked them on Farscape and I like them on Stargate SG 1.
:cameron::vala:

MFA
June 18th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Yes, it seems like the last half of Season 10 really out shines everything else in Season 9 and first half of Season 10. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but Mitchell and Vala seem to be more a part of the team than they were before. It seems before, they were the "outsiders" and were just stuck in the same 'ole-same 'ole, now finally they are more like one big family.

The character development this last half season has been great. Sort of wished it hadn't of taken them 1.5 years to get to this level, and now just when they reach it ... somebody goes and pulls the plug. Can't wait to see what they do in the movies.

In particular, I'm glad we're getting to see Vala's more serious side a lot more than just her silly mischievousness all the time. (Don't get me wrong, I like her silly mischievousness, but also like a character with some depth, and having an actress who can pull off a whole range of emotions is excellent!)

I'm also glad they got away from Mitchell's wreckless character he had in the episode where the team was captured by the guys working for the Lucian Alliance ... I watched it recently and Mitchell just came across as the type person trying to prove something, who would do whatever it takes to prove he's "good", regardless of the wellfare of his team. I don't know, maybe it was just me in that ep. But I'm glad the writers steered away from that direction, and Mitchell is a much better leader now.

Stef
June 19th, 2007, 03:57 AM
^^^^^
ITA. Like you said, I really feel like Vala and Cam were an actual part of the team in these last ten episodes rather than the "newbies" still being tested out. I loved how they gave CB so much to work with. We saw how much she cares about her team members in TQ2, her intelligence in LITS, (dare I say) wisdom in "The Shroud," even some of her thieving ways in "Bad Guys." Being a Vala fan, I was so pleased to see the strides they took with maturing and expanding upon her character.

And for the first time since I started watching, I actually began to like Mitchell. I liked that he had a flaw (recklessness....which he even admitted to in one episode) but it did often counteract his role as leader. I totally see your point about OTG, and I think a lot of anti-Mitchell fans use this episode as their primary ammunition against him. That was toned down in the first half of season 10 but he only really clicked as a character for me in TQ2. He's actually a favorite character now :)

It's strange how one episode can make the difference for me. I think TQ1 had one of the worst depictions of Vala to date and then we see a completely different side of her in TQ2. Not only that, but after that episode I felt like I was watching a TEAM rather than some people fighting evil together. All it took was...
...Daniel taking Merlin's memories and sacrificing himself to Adria :valaanime06:

Wow, I'm babbling, aren't I? Sorry, I just really loved these last 10 episodes.

-Stef

Caladria
June 19th, 2007, 01:55 PM
^^^^^
ITA. Like you said, I really feel like Vala and Cam were an actual part of the team in these last ten episodes rather than the "newbies" still being tested out. I loved how they gave CB so much to work with. We saw how much she cares about her team members in TQ2, her intelligence in LITS, (dare I say) wisdom in "The Shroud," even some of her thieving ways in "Bad Guys." Being a Vala fan, I was so pleased to see the strides they took with maturing and expanding upon her character.

And for the first time since I started watching, I actually began to like Mitchell. I liked that he had a flaw (recklessness....which he even admitted to in one episode) but it did often counteract his role as leader. I totally see your point about OTG, and I think a lot of anti-Mitchell fans use this episode as their primary ammunition against him. That was toned down in the first half of season 10 but he only really clicked as a character for me in TQ2. He's actually a favorite character now :)

It's strange how one episode can make the difference for me. I think TQ1 had one of the worst depictions of Vala to date and then we see a completely different side of her in TQ2. Not only that, but after that episode I felt like I was watching a TEAM rather than some people fighting evil together. All it took was...
...Daniel taking Merlin's memories and sacrificing himself to Adria :valaanime06:

Wow, I'm babbling, aren't I? Sorry, I just really loved these last 10 episodes.

-Stef

I have to say, I liked how they gave us these flawed characters at the start of S9 - Mitchell and his recklessness and his absolute desire to prove himself to his heroes (SG-1) and Vala and her layers and layers of defensiveness - the manipulative, the little-girl flirtatiousness, the I-don't-care, the let's-irritate-everyone-on-purpose - and they took these two new characters, put them next to the three we'd known for for eight years, and yes, they were imperfect. because they hadn't been doing it for eight years. Cam's greatest weakness was his naivitie and not knowing what was out there - which makes sense, and Vala's was not knowing how to work as a team, and trust people - which also makes sense.

And it also makes sense that as the two season's we've had them progresses, they grow. The only time I generally object to characters is if they grow in a direction that seems 'off' for the experiences they've had, or if they fail to grow at all. And I look at Cam's and Vala's growth, and it seems perfectly reasonable. I love, love how Cam's leadership skills have grown so that he can deal with an SG-1 that he only has authority over by their consent. How SG-1 (the original three) seem to have trained him up between them, and let him make his own mistakes. Because he's not making them now. And I've loved to see Vala generally relax and become herself around them - a process starting in early S9 and just gradually creeping up on me. And in particular, I love how there doesn't seem t obe a jump in growth, but they've done it gradually, so i couldn't tell you the moment whne I realised that Cam could cope with leading SG-1 at a time when the entire galaxy's threatened. There's just little moments that gradaully increase and merge until they're big moments.

And I love the conflict that Adria provides in Vala, because that's one of the few times that the mask seems to come down and we see actual caring, and indecisiveness, and fear. Because she fights against the bond whilst she acknowledges it - she views Adria as her daughter whilst she's trying to destroy her, and CB plays that so well.

JDB
June 19th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Agreed. IMO what you just said there sums up these two characters, and the growth they've gotten over the last two seasons perfectly.

MFA
June 19th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Agree as well.

Even though I prefer they didn't have the flaws (gave certain folks "amunition" to use for all the "I hate ..." posts and fan videos, etc.), it makes sense the way you put it that they had to have these flaws so they could grow. Looking back you see they had to fit in and grow on the fans as well as the rest of SG1, and over time they've done a good job of that.

Yes, it really would have been worse to have them come in and immediately "fit in" and be just the perfect solution to all the problems, because that doesn't happen in reality.

Hind-sight's always 20/20 ... but there are still scenes that just make me want to cringe at times :-)

Yep, I think Cam and Vala have finally made a place for themselves at the SGC and with the fans.

poundpuppy29
June 19th, 2007, 04:59 PM
I have to say, I liked how they gave us these flawed characters at the start of S9 - Mitchell and his recklessness and his absolute desire to prove himself to his heroes (SG-1) and Vala and her layers and layers of defensiveness - the manipulative, the little-girl flirtatiousness, the I-don't-care, the let's-irritate-everyone-on-purpose - and they took these two new characters, put them next to the three we'd known for for eight years, and yes, they were imperfect. because they hadn't been doing it for eight years. Cam's greatest weakness was his naivitie and not knowing what was out there - which makes sense, and Vala's was not knowing how to work as a team, and trust people - which also makes sense.

And it also makes sense that as the two season's we've had them progresses, they grow. The only time I generally object to characters is if they grow in a direction that seems 'off' for the experiences they've had, or if they fail to grow at all. And I look at Cam's and Vala's growth, and it seems perfectly reasonable. I love, love how Cam's leadership skills have grown so that he can deal with an SG-1 that he only has authority over by their consent. How SG-1 (the original three) seem to have trained him up between them, and let him make his own mistakes. Because he's not making them now. And I've loved to see Vala generally relax and become herself around them - a process starting in early S9 and just gradually creeping up on me. And in particular, I love how there doesn't seem t obe a jump in growth, but they've done it gradually, so i couldn't tell you the moment whne I realised that Cam could cope with leading SG-1 at a time when the entire galaxy's threatened. There's just little moments that gradaully increase and merge until they're big moments.

And I love the conflict that Adria provides in Vala, because that's one of the few times that the mask seems to come down and we see actual caring, and indecisiveness, and fear. Because she fights against the bond whilst she acknowledges it - she views Adria as her daughter whilst she's trying to destroy her, and CB plays that so well.

ITA 100% with all of this great post. Yours too Stef

the fifth man
June 19th, 2007, 06:51 PM
ITA 100% with all of this great post. Yours too Stef

Indeed! Both are very well thought out posts that describe Cam and Vala quite well.:)

Caladria
June 20th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Agree as well.

Even though I prefer they didn't have the flaws (gave certain folks "amunition" to use for all the "I hate ..." posts and fan videos, etc.), it makes sense the way you put it that they had to have these flaws so they could grow. Looking back you see they had to fit in and grow on the fans as well as the rest of SG1, and over time they've done a good job of that.

Yes, it really would have been worse to have them come in and immediately "fit in" and be just the perfect solution to all the problems, because that doesn't happen in reality.

Hind-sight's always 20/20 ... but there are still scenes that just make me want to cringe at times :-)

Yep, I think Cam and Vala have finally made a place for themselves at the SGC and with the fans.

Cam's not just anyone, he's us.

What would a fan of SG-1 be like if they were allowed to go on missions with Sam and Daniel and Teal'c? Would they be all calm and collected and performing to the best of their ability, or would they be over-desperate to be accepted?

S10 Cam is just that bit more seasoned, and he's stopped going "whee!" mentally every time he steps through the Stargate. He's calmed down and he's actually started thinknig of his teammates as teammates rather than the "OMG!!! its Daniel Jackson!!" he seems to be doing at the start of S9 (bless him, the poor lad is crushed when he realises he can't go play with his heroes).

But if they were perfect, they'd have a whole different set of fans saying that that wasn't right and hating them for being perfect (and some of the same, who were just gonig to not like it anyway).

Cam's imagination in 200 hows that he still wants to be the hero to a certain extent, but he's just learnt to restrain it now.

And, oh.. those scenes that make me cower behind a cushion yelling at the TV.. "Cam! Look at the Ten Things SG-1 Never Does! You're breaking about four!"

valaareyn
June 20th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Heads up. Here is the link for the Favorite Cameron Mitchell episode game.

Favorite Cameron Mitchell episode (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=44874)

and Vala Episode Game
Favorite Vala Episode
(http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=44726&page=5)

Stef
June 20th, 2007, 04:40 PM
ITA agreement about your comments guys :) One of the things that I really appreciate about both Vala and Cam is that they're flawed. I really enjoy all of the other characters, but they seem pretty perfect to me (I don't consider "caring too much" to be a legitimate flaw :o)...which isn't to say that they aren't good characters and fun to watch, because this marathon on SF has shown me that they are.

But Vala makes mistakes, says inappropriate things, and doesn't have a perfect history. The same with Cam...he has a legitimate flaw that we've seen since his entrance in season 9. While I may have been frustrated with him at first, it is such a pleasure to see him try to deal with that part of himself, to see him grow and learn. I guess that is one of the things I like the most about them. We've gotten the chance to see both characters grow and change over the past couple of years; to see them struggle to find their places, deal with their pasts, and overcome some of their worst impulses. It makes things interesting, and stirs up the stable and established characters already on the canvas.

-Stef

Trek_Girl42
June 22nd, 2007, 10:08 AM
ITA agreement about your comments guys :) One of the things that I really appreciate about both Vala and Cam is that they're flawed. I really enjoy all of the other characters, but they seem pretty perfect to me (I don't consider "caring too much" to be a legitimate flaw :o)...which isn't to say that they aren't good characters and fun to watch, because this marathon on SF has shown me that they are.

But Vala makes mistakes, says inappropriate things, and doesn't have a perfect history. The same with Cam...he has a legitimate flaw that we've seen since his entrance in season 9. While I may have been frustrated with him at first, it is such a pleasure to see him try to deal with that part of himself, to see him grow and learn. I guess that is one of the things I like the most about them. We've gotten the chance to see both characters grow and change over the past couple of years; to see them struggle to find their places, deal with their pasts, and overcome some of their worst impulses. It makes things interesting, and stirs up the stable and established characters already on the canvas.

It's a shame that this is the last season because, especially in the second half, the writers have taken those characters to another level and made them very much whole. Both of them have grown so much, and I felt that it was about at Quest Pt. II where the team became a whole entity rather than the "band" that Cam got back together- in what I thought was a great progression through seasons nine and ten.

Mitchell82
June 22nd, 2007, 12:29 PM
It's a shame that this is the last season because, especially in the second half, the writers have taken those characters to another level and made them very much whole. Both of them have grown so much, and I felt that it was about at Quest Pt. II where the team became a whole entity rather than the "band" that Cam got back together- in what I thought was a great progression through seasons nine and ten.

Agreed. That's a problem with new characters as it takes time for the actors to adjust to the roles and grow as actors as well as the characters. The actors all have a great chemistry and the characters really grew from season 9-10, both great seasons and they really needed more than 2 seasons not just for BB,CB,and Beau, but the characters and the Ori. At least the show got a proper ending and we will se SG-1 continue in two movies and hopefully many more to come.

poundpuppy29
June 22nd, 2007, 12:53 PM
I hope the we get more movies after the first 2 I really want them to explore these characters more.

Mitchell82
June 22nd, 2007, 01:19 PM
I hope the we get more movies after the first 2 I really want them to explore these characters more.

Lets hope.

1DanielForMe
June 23rd, 2007, 03:12 AM
Well, if the first two movies are well received, TPTB have expressed interest in making others. They just need to know there's a market.

Akin to that: I, too, look forward to seeing more of Cameron and Vala. We've only barely had a chance to get to know them.

Stef
June 23rd, 2007, 11:20 AM
Judging from what I've read about the first movie, it looks like we might be getting some meaty stuff for Vala....not sure about Cam though :o

-Stef

JDB
June 24th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Yeah, I deffinitely appreciate the fact that we will be getting to see more of Vala and Cam. I would have really hated to see the story end just as they were finally getting fully developed. It should be interesting to see them getting to interact more with Jack in Contiuum, because we never really got to see them interact very much.

poundpuppy29
June 24th, 2007, 01:37 PM
I am dying dying to see interactions between Jack & Vala and better ones between Cam & Jack than we got in season 9 and season 10. I want one maybe similar to the one between Rodney & Vala in PP.

Stef
June 24th, 2007, 01:46 PM
I am dying dying to see interactions between Jack & Vala and better ones between Cam & Jack than we got in season 9 and season 10. I want one maybe similar to the one between Rodney & Vala in PP.

Sounds good to me. I'm not a huge Jack fan (I enjoy him better in smaller doses), but I really like the idea of him and Vala interacting :)

Anyone know if Lexa is going to be in the movies? I'm still holding out hope for a Cam/Carolyn scene :o

-Stef

Mitchell82
June 25th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Sounds good to me. I'm not a huge Jack fan (I enjoy him better in smaller doses), but I really like the idea of him and Vala interacting :)

Anyone know if Lexa is going to be in the movies? I'm still holding out hope for a Cam/Carolyn scene :o

-Stef

Don't know about that I don't think so, but I do know we will have Morena back as Adria.

valaareyn
June 26th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Random Vala and Cam pic

RepliHawk
July 1st, 2007, 06:32 PM

I sure hope so too

Mitchell82
July 1st, 2007, 06:36 PM
I sure hope so too

Indeed I hope they sell very well so we can see many more great stories.

the fifth man
July 1st, 2007, 06:38 PM
Indeed I hope they sell very well so we can see many more great stories.

At the very least a few more.;) I'm just not ready to give up SG-1 yet. I feel that TPTB still have many great stories to tell where SG-1 is concerned.

Stef
July 1st, 2007, 07:21 PM
At the very least a few more.;) I'm just not ready to give up SG-1 yet. I feel that TPTB still have many great stories to tell where SG-1 is concerned.

I completely agree :) I think that there are so many possibilities TPTB could explore, and facets to both Vala and Cameron's characters that haven't been delved into yet. I never buy DVDs without seeing them but I will definitely be doing that with SG-1!

-Stef

Ehecatl
July 2nd, 2007, 02:38 PM
Liked Vala not so much Cameron.

the fifth man
July 2nd, 2007, 06:29 PM
Liked Vala not so much Cameron.

Vala, I pretty much loved right from the start. As for Mitchell, I liked him right away. It just took me a little more time with him to really come to appreciate his character fully.

poundpuppy29
July 2nd, 2007, 07:23 PM
Vala, I pretty much loved right from the start. As for Mitchell, I liked him right away. It just took me a little more time with him to really come to appreciate his character fully.
Me too!!! I had to watch some episodes again to really appreciate him. He's his own character I love him now.

Mitchell82
July 2nd, 2007, 07:48 PM

Agreed. Vala I liked from the time I saw her in "Prometheus Unbound" I couldn't wait to see more of her. As to Cam I wasnt sure but by the end of Avalon part 1 I was getting to like him, by the end of Part 2 I loved the character.

Stef
July 2nd, 2007, 07:59 PM
Agreed. Vala I liked from the time I saw her in "Prometheus Unbound" I couldn't wait to see more of her. As to Cam I wasnt sure but by the end of Avalon part 1 I was getting to like him, by the end of Part 2 I loved the character.

Same thing with me. I remember loving Vala from the first episode I saw her in (Avalon) but since I didn't watch episodes 6-20 from season 9 (:rolleyes:) before I watched season 10, Mitchell didn't really click with me until maybe "The Quest Pt.2." Don't get me wrong, I liked him well enough before that, but he never really stood out to me until that point. Now I love both characters, Vala being my favorite with Mitchell and Daniel fighting it out for second :)

-Stef

Mitchell82
July 2nd, 2007, 08:04 PM
Same thing with me. I remember loving Vala from the first episode I saw her in (Avalon) but since I didn't watch episodes 6-20 from season 9 (:rolleyes:) before I watched season 10, Mitchell didn't really click with me until maybe "The Quest Pt.2." Don't get me wrong, I liked him well enough before that, but he never really stood out to me until that point. Now I love both characters, Vala being my favorite with Mitchell and Daniel fighting it out for second :)

-Stef

Ooo that I'd love to see. A sparing match between Daniel and Mitch.

poundpuppy29
July 2nd, 2007, 10:44 PM
That was the ep for me too Quest 2 that made me really appreciate Cam and part of the reason I went back and watched certain eps to get better look at him.

ChillinTheMost
July 3rd, 2007, 04:59 AM

I'm just the opposite. I liked Mitchell from the beginning. Vala took a while. I think she started out a little over the top, but she's settled down nicely.

tomin
July 3rd, 2007, 09:30 AM
I'm just the opposite. I liked Mitchell from the beginning. Vala took a while. I think she started out a little over the top, but she's settled down nicely.

I agree. I did like Vala right away and just wish that they would let the Cameron character lighten up a little. Ben is very good at comedy but they seem to just give him serious macho situations.

Stef
July 3rd, 2007, 10:41 PM
I agree. I did like Vala right away and just wish that they would let the Cameron character lighten up a little. Ben is very good at comedy but they seem to just give him serious macho situations.

That's interesting because I thought that they made Mitchell waaay too comical in the first half of season 9...almost to the point of annoyance. Sorry, but I couldn't stand his catch-phrase and I think they tried too hard to make him stand out as distinctly southern with all of those analogies and grandma stories. I liked that they mellowed him out more...and I think that they've finally managed to balance the serious with his off-beat sense of humor. It's only until season 10 that I feel like the writers finally got a solid handle on his character.

-Stef

JDB
July 9th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Agreed. It deffinitely took the Mitchell character alot longer to develop, but once he did he became a great character. Vala on the other hand, was a great character from the moment she first appeared in the one where she tried to steal the ship.

isabelqc
July 9th, 2007, 12:25 PM
My first post here, and can I just say I already love this thread, I was getting so tired of the "Let's hate Cam and Vala" train, which some passengers are on without even giving the character a chance.

I thought they were great additions to the show. They both added a new element, but didn't take away from what we love about Stargate. When I first saw Vala in "PU" I totally fell for her. She was just soo awesome and I wanted to come back soo bad. When they added her to s9 I smiled like a two year old with a giant lollipop. And while I was on the fence about Cam at first, it took about 20 mins into "Avalon p.1" for me to love him too. They are just such great character, with so many interesting levels, that sadly were not all explored. I mean Vala was only in the show for a season and six episodes but man she owned! I love her character! So much! Totally my fav. And Cam, well I just wanna hug him! It took him a while to grow into the boots so to say, but I love him too. The mix of comedy and seriousness and sweetness he has is great. :D

Stef
July 11th, 2007, 01:28 PM
My first post here, and can I just say I already love this thread, I was getting so tired of the "Let's hate Cam and Vala" train, which some passengers are on without even giving the character a chance.

I thought they were great additions to the show. They both added a new element, but didn't take away from what we love about Stargate. When I first saw Vala in "PU" I totally fell for her. She was just soo awesome and I wanted to come back soo bad. When they added her to s9 I smiled like a two year old with a giant lollipop. And while I was on the fence about Cam at first, it took about 20 mins into "Avalon p.1" for me to love him too. They are just such great character, with so many interesting levels, that sadly were not all explored. I mean Vala was only in the show for a season and six episodes but man she owned! I love her character! So much! Totally my fav. And Cam, well I just wanna hug him! It took him a while to grow into the boots so to say, but I love him too. The mix of comedy and seriousness and sweetness he has is great. :D

ITA. I hadn't watched any of SG-1 until Ben and Claudia joined....but I've been going back and watching older episodes recently and I can see the difference in team dynamics. Not that one is better than the other, just different :) I love the energy Vala and Mitchell bring to the team. I'm so curious to see what we would have gotten in season 11 (if we had been allowed to have one :().

-Stef

esoap524
July 11th, 2007, 04:55 PM

-Stef

Since you mention that...I just finished the SG1 novel "Roswell" which includes the original 4, plus Cam and Vala. Since this is a "like Cam and Vala" thread, and you mention the Jack/Vala interaction, I thought I'd post here.

The novel has Vala/jack stuff, then veers off where Cam and Vala are in one place and the original 4 in another. the book isn't perfect but I think it's excellent for Cam/Vala fans, especially the C/V shippers--no, don't get too excited! ;)

I'm a relative novice to SG1, having started watching for Ben and Claudia, and I didn't have a lot of trouble following the book. There were parts that I'm sure were over my head but, certainly, not enough to kill my enjoyment of it.

Although the chemistry is definitely different in the show, I like the Cam/Vala vibe, especially the latter half of season 10 where it seemed like both characters had a better footing and were also allow to interact! I'm a John/Aeryn/Farscape fan--what was wonderful was that I never felt the J/A vibe from Ben and Claudia on SG1. That's pretty fantastic on their parts.

Trek_Girl42
July 11th, 2007, 05:20 PM

Funny how you mention Quest Pt. II- I loved Cam before that, but for me Quest Pt. II was where the team clicked. Before that they were the old guys+the new guys. In that ep I felt like that they had finally become a whole.

Stef
July 12th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Since you mention that...I just finished the SG1 novel "Roswell" which includes the original 4, plus Cam and Vala. Since this is a "like Cam and Vala" thread, and you mention the Jack/Vala interaction, I thought I'd post here.

The novel has Vala/jack stuff, then veers off where Cam and Vala are in one place and the original 4 in another. the book isn't perfect but I think it's excellent for Cam/Vala fans, especially the C/V shippers--no, don't get too excited! ;)

Although the chemistry is definitely different in the show, I like the Cam/Vala vibe, especially the latter half of season 10 where it seemed like both characters had a better footing and were also allow to interact! I'm a John/Aeryn/Farscape fan--what was wonderful was that I never felt the J/A vibe from Ben and Claudia on SG1. That's pretty fantastic on their parts.
I was thinking about picking that book up, so it's worth it then? How was the Jack/Vala stuff? Ooh, Cam/Vala interactions are always nice!!

I agree about the J/A versus C/V....definitely NOT the same vibe. I like both pairings for entirely different reasons...and I never feel like I'm watching an AU J/A. I've often seen shows/movies try to recreate the magic of a popular pairing and it usually falls flat. Fortunately, that didn't happen here. Part of that is probably because they didn't just throw them together and try to have Farscape v2...they let their relationship slowly develop ;)

Funny how you mention Quest Pt. II- I loved Cam before that, but for me Quest Pt. II was where the team clicked. Before that they were the old guys+the new guys. In that ep I felt like that they had finally become a whole.
Same here. I enjoyed all of season 10, but there was always this team separation in the back of my mind, like the team wasn't completely integrated yet. TQ2 changed all of that. Not only that, but we got to see some great moments for Cam and Vala that not only showed character depth but also strength (Cam was a great leader....and Vala's concern for Daniel touching). It still has one of my favorite moments of the season: when Cam tells Vala that she's part of the team. That's why this episode is battling it out for my favorite of the season.

-Stef

esoap524
July 12th, 2007, 04:08 PM
I was thinking about picking that book up, so it's worth it then? How was the Jack/Vala stuff? Ooh, Cam/Vala interactions are always nice!!

The Jack/Vala stuff was pretty humorous--not enough of it, though, but still fun, especially the early scene where it's pretty much just the two of them, interacting with their visitors.

I didn't expect the C/V stuff--it's not heavy, on the page stuff but there's certainly implications...(is that obtuse enough?).

I enjoyed the book--not great literature, no, and I was reading as a relatively new fan but I thought it sounded right.

I agree about the J/A versus C/V....definitely NOT the same vibe. I like both pairings for entirely different reasons...and I never feel like I'm watching an AU J/A. I've often seen shows/movies try to recreate the magic of a popular pairing and it usually falls flat. Fortunately, that didn't happen here. Part of that is probably because they didn't just throw them together and try to have Farscape v2...they let their relationship slowly develop ;)

Slowly is a key word ;) I think they were right to do that, actually--let the characters develop at whatever pace before you put them back together. It helped a lot that Vala was nothing like Aeryn--I believe Ben Browder said that because the character was so different, his reactions to Claudia were very different than when she played Aeryn...so, no chance of duplication.

I'm glad they didn't try to capitalize on the FS chemistry aspect.

Same here. I enjoyed all of season 10, but there was always this team separation in the back of my mind, like the team wasn't completely integrated yet. TQ2 changed all of that. Not only that, but we got to see some great moments for Cam and Vala that not only showed character depth but also strength (Cam was a great leader....and Vala's concern for Daniel touching). It still has one of my favorite moments of the season: when Cam tells Vala that she's part of the team. That's why this episode is battling it out for my favorite of the season.

This was the turning point for me, too. I'd liked "counterstrike" but that was more Vala-centric (ok by me, I love Vala). TQ2 had humor and some angst--I loved the Daniel/Vala moments, but I also loved the Cam/Vala moments, and the Sam stuff with Ba'al.

JDB
July 14th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I deffintely agree with you guys about the team really coming together in TQ2. It was great to see these characters really come together into one team.

Trek_Girl42
July 15th, 2007, 12:57 AM
I deffintely agree with you guys about the team really coming together in TQ2. It was great to see these characters really come together into one team.
Absolutely, especially as I felt that they weren't quite a "team" in TQ1, just a bunch of individuals.

the fifth man
July 16th, 2007, 08:23 PM

They definitely shined in "The Quest, Part 2". Everything was really coming together so well IMO where SG-1 was concerned. They really had the team chemistry going by season's end. That is why I am so happy we have these two movies to look forward to. To see more of that.:)

Stef
July 17th, 2007, 11:02 AM
They definitely shined in "The Quest, Part 2". Everything was really coming together so well IMO where SG-1 was concerned. They really had the team chemistry going by season's end. That is why I am so happy we have these two movies to look forward to. To see more of that.:)

ITA. I think that was the episode where the team really clicked as a whole for the first time. It's kind of strange because I'm not a big fan of TQ1 but TQ2 is one of my favorites. I'm thankful for the movies, but I'm still sad we didn't get to see the team in another season....especially since they had finally gotten the chemistry right at the end of the season. It would have been nice to see how that developed. Still....the series went out on a high note, that's more than most shows can say. I can't wait for AoT!!

-Stef

the fifth man
July 18th, 2007, 09:35 PM
It would have been nice to see how that developed. Still....the series went out on a high note, that's more than most shows can say. I can't wait for AoT!!

-Stef

Yes, it certainly would have been nice to see that chemistry develop even further over the course of another full season. But sadly, it just wasn't meant to be.:(

SG-1 definitely went out on a high note IMO as well. No doubt about it in my mind. Seasons 9 and 10 were two of my favorites from the entire show.

I can't wait for Ark of Truth and Continuum. I'm sure that they are both going to be great.:)

Trek_Girl42
July 18th, 2007, 10:46 PM
ITA. I think that was the episode where the team really clicked as a whole for the first time. It's kind of strange because I'm not a big fan of TQ1 but TQ2 is one of my favorites. I'm thankful for the movies, but I'm still sad we didn't get to see the team in another season....especially since they had finally gotten the chemistry right at the end of the season. It would have been nice to see how that developed. Still....the series went out on a high note, that's more than most shows can say. I can't wait for AoT!!

I agree- I'm not much of a fan of TQ1 either, looking back, it's probably one of the weakest eps of the season for me, very contrived, and extremely predictable. TQ2 however, was pitch-perfect. :D

Stef
July 19th, 2007, 12:03 AM
I agree- I'm not much of a fan of TQ1 either, looking back, it's probably one of the weakest eps of the season for me, very contrived, and extremely predictable. TQ2 however, was pitch-perfect. :D

Yeah, I kind of felt the same way. Although I liked the team working together, and the addition of Ba'al and Adria, it just didn't click with me as an episode. It's interesting, considering both episodes were written by the same people. Although, you wouldn't think that from watching them.

I remember my biggest gripe with TQ1 being the way Vala was written....kind of as this one-dimensional comedic relief (which has happened on occasion). I guess they figured after making her so competent in COT, they had to equal out the playing field by dumbing her down. Of course, then we got to see a completely different, complex, and vulnerable side of Vala in TQ2 which I loved....something that we saw continue throughout the majority of the rest of the season (the way she spoke to Tomin in LITS and then later, to Daniel in "The Shroud," defied everything these Vala-haters say about her lack of maturity!).

I actually think that TQ1 marks the only time when I really didn't like the way Vala was being written in an episode. It's so odd because JM & PM seem to write her so well in Morpheus, Counterstrike, MM, TQ2, and even FT. I mean, all of those episodes offered up strong character moments for her. I guess that everyone is allowed one misstep.

-Stef

Mitchell82
July 24th, 2007, 12:50 PM

The did that was really a beautiful scene. They really played off each other well in that scene but Cam and Vala, brought spice to seasons 9 and 10 when there was a huge chance it would be bland. Without them i doubt we would have even gotten season 10.

2ndgenerationalteran
July 31st, 2007, 03:06 PM
From the start Vala's sexual humor made me laugh. Cam was different from jack, him striving and preserverance really gave the show a noble feel. His attack of the Hatak, and how he interacted with his friend in Stronghold would be something i would never forget.

the fifth man
July 31st, 2007, 06:56 PM
The did that was really a beautiful scene. They really played off each other well in that scene but Cam and Vala, brought spice to seasons 9 and 10 when there was a huge chance it would be bland. Without them i doubt we would have even gotten season 10.

Yeah, there is no doubt in my mind that the characters of Vala and Mitchell injected something very vital into this show. They both mixed things up a bit initially, Vala more so than Cam. But in the end, they both really blended well with the rest of SG-1 IMO. I almost can't picture SG-1 without the two of them now.:)

Stef
July 31st, 2007, 07:30 PM
Yeah, there is no doubt in my mind that the characters of Vala and Mitchell injected something very vital into this show. They both mixed things up a bit initially, Vala more so than Cam. But in the end, they both really blended well with the rest of SG-1 IMO. I almost can't picture SG-1 without the two of them now.:)

Same here. I like Jack well enough, but sometimes it's hard for me to imagine a time when Cam and Vala weren't a part of SG-1. Like you said, I felt like they mixed things up and invigorated the show in new and interesting ways.

-Stef

Oranos
July 31st, 2007, 07:37 PM
Yeah, I kind of felt the same way. Although I liked the team working together, and the addition of Ba'al and Adria, it just didn't click with me as an episode. It's interesting, considering both episodes were written by the same people. Although, you wouldn't think that from watching them.

Actually, I'm not positive, but I don't think Joe and Paul write together, at least, not any more. Or not all the time. I know that they are credited together, but, yeah; I think Joe wrote Part I and Paul wrote Part II. Though, I believe both parts were pitched by Joe. *Shrugs* Not positive. I, however, thought both parts were quite good.

Yes, anyways, on to what I think of Cameron and Vala. Like the fifth man said, I believe that injected something vital into the show, infused it with new life. I love the way everything came together with the new cast, old cast, the Ori, etc.

Mitchell82
July 31st, 2007, 08:43 PM
Same here. I like Jack well enough, but sometimes it's hard for me to imagine a time when Cam and Vala weren't a part of SG-1. Like you said, I felt like they mixed things up and invigorated the show in new and interesting ways.

-Stef

Agreed. I love the old show and still treasure it but it is very hard for me to not see the show without Cam and Vala. They really revitalized the show IMHO.

the fifth man
August 1st, 2007, 06:34 PM
Agreed. I love the old show and still treasure it but it is very hard for me to not see the show without Cam and Vala. They really revitalized the show IMHO.

Oh, I still treasure Seasons 1-8 too. But Seasons 9 and 10 now hold a very special place as well. IMO, they were two of SG-1's finest seasons ever. And Vala and Mitchell played a big part in that.

Oranos
August 1st, 2007, 06:43 PM
Oh, I still treasure Seasons 1-8 too. But Seasons 9 and 10 now hold a very special place as well. IMO, they were two of SG-1's finest seasons ever. And Vala and Mitchell played a big part in that.

*Nods* I love all my seasons. And, the entire cast was great. I couldn't picture Stargate without them; Vala and Cameron included. At the start, I have to admit, I wasn't certain just exactly how the two of them would fit in, but it turned out better than I could have imagined.

the fifth man
August 1st, 2007, 07:01 PM
*Nods* I love all my seasons. And, the entire cast was great. I couldn't picture Stargate without them; Vala and Cameron included. At the start, I have to admit, I wasn't certain just exactly how the two of them would fit in, but it turned out better than I could have imagined.

Same here. I knew I had loved both Ben and Claudia on Farscape, but wasn't sure going in to Season 9 how they'd both fit into SG-1. TPTB, Ben, and Claudia all surpassed my expectations, and put my fears to rest.:)

Mitchell82
August 2nd, 2007, 07:38 PM
Same here. I knew I had loved both Ben and Claudia on Farscape, but wasn't sure going in to Season 9 how they'd both fit into SG-1. TPTB, Ben, and Claudia all surpassed my expectations, and put my fears to rest.:)

ITA I couldn't have said it better myself.