S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

In the episode section of Gateworld, there's a section about the The Siege.
    It says that Earth has a new battleship called Deadalus.
    What do you think ?

Is this a new BC-303 or something else ?
    sigpic

SGU Continued....

Deadalus? Hmm..

And as for it being a 303 I'm not sure; personally I'd like to see another class of ship..
    Jackson: Hathor was the Egyptian goddess of fertility, inebriety, and music.
    O'Neill: Sex, drugs, and rock and roll?

Comment

Originally posted by hail_jack
      Deadalus? Hmm....
      Well, the name does match with Prometheus.
      I think Deadalus was also a figure from Greec myths.
      I'm not sure, but I think he was Icarus' dad.
      sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

I'd rather see the ships look more lik the interior of a submarine. I saw some clips from Space: Above and Beyond and that looked really col for the inside of a ship. The Prometheus' bridge is too much like Star Trek. Yep, definitely a submarine or something like an actual ship.

FOGHORN FILMS PRESENTS...

To watch Darkness, a non stargate related short film
        from the creators of The Bringer of War, Please Click here

Click here to join the Official "Bringer of War" MySpace

Comment

Originally posted by Indiana
          I'd rather see the ships look more lik the interior of a submarine. I saw some clips from Space: Above and Beyond and that looked really col for the inside of a ship. The Prometheus' bridge is too much like Star Trek. Yep, definitely a submarine or something like an actual ship.

maybe that is why Jack wanted to call the prometheus "Enterprise"

But back to the subject....

I think it will be a new type maybe the X-304 more streamlined. I would speculate that it has asguard tech on it (transporters, Shileds, weapons (or maybe it has the the Ancients Jellyfish's of doom) and an asguard hyperdrive) and wow its powered by a ZPM that is alot of power.... which that leads to think why was there a zpm at Giza and its just now found?

Comment

We know the Goa'uld loved to find and tinker with the technology of the Ancients. Perhaps Giza was originally another outpost on Earth. Assuming Earth was the capitol in the Milky Way, it would make sense to have multiple outposts. You could even go as far as to say that Ra landed at Giza because it already had signs of Ancient technology, and he simply built up from there. Hell, that may even be where the Giza stargate is from. Unless there is a quote I'm likely missing saying that Ra did, in fact, bring his own.
            Forum insight in 1 click!

Comment

Well no you do make some a good point... it is established that Ra like most of the Goa'uld have a thing for ancient tech and try to do their version of backwards engineering. Ra may have had a zpm at giza he did have the tablet on Abydos. now as for a second outpost I doubt it probably more like a gou'ald lab or something. Would we (the Tari) know how to use the ZPM if we had never seen jack make it work? (the one he created in Fifth Race and the one from ProclarusTaonos*) So I would think that like Camulus, Ra couldnt figure out how to use it.

Comment

Sorry to have to do this, but its spelled Daedalus.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHomegaMan
                  We know the Goa'uld loved to find and tinker with the technology of the Ancients. Perhaps Giza was originally another outpost on Earth. Assuming Earth was the capitol in the Milky Way, it would make sense to have multiple outposts. You could even go as far as to say that Ra landed at Giza because it already had signs of Ancient technology, and he simply built up from there. Hell, that may even be where the Giza stargate is from. Unless there is a quote I'm likely missing saying that Ra did, in fact, bring his own.

I think that the returning Ancients "helped" humans.Goa'uld have powerful ships.Why didn't they simply return with ships?
                  Stolen Kosovo
                  sigpic

Comment

hopefully it is a X-304

the X-303 was designed with Goa'uld technology but with the new Asgard technology and with the new technology from the Antartic outpost, it would have been a good idea to just build a new ship instead of just constantly upgrading an Prometheus because there would be no guarantee that mixing 4 different types of technology (human, goa'uld, asgard and ancient) will work correctly.

i am surprised that a new ZPM was discovered in Egypt. it may be possible that with things like the Eye or Ra (plus the others) and a ZPM, Ra was able to increase power which is what made him the most powerful system lord but who knows what could be at Egypt, after all Osiris had a ship hidden for thousands of years and it remained hidden

i would that thought that they could have used the sabotaged ZPM. if they found a way to repair it, it could have been used or maybe even found a new ZPM at the Antartic. it makes more sense that new stuff being found in Egypt

sigpic

Comment

I think it's most likely a BC-303 because it's unlikely that they would send an advanced prototype for a new vessel away from Earth and because I doubt they'll spend the money on new designs.

Comment

Originally posted by Indiana
                        The Prometheus' bridge is too much like Star Trek.
                        Almost every science fiction show has the same style of a bridge, its a design that makes sense. Submarines are small and cramped (I've been on a few).. we can do better!

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                          I think it's most likely a BC-303 because it's unlikely that they would send an advanced prototype for a new vessel away from Earth and because I doubt they'll spend the money on new designs.
                          Well, I think they would because of the severity of the situation and importance of Atlantis. If a BC-304's hyper-speed drive is working properly it is safer than trying to send the unstable Prometheus.

Comment

they also wouldn't need to spend money on a new design. the cloned goa'uld's ship could have been used instead. they have the blue prints so they could use it (and tie up a lose end)

sigpic

Comment

I think it will be a new type maybe the X-304 more streamlined. I would speculate that it has asguard tech on it (transporters, Shileds, weapons (or maybe it has the the Ancients Jellyfish's of doom) and an asguard hyperdrive) and wow its powered by a ZPM that is alot of power.... which that leads to think why was there a zpm at Giza and its just now found?
                              X-304? The BC-303 was only brought into service a year or so ago, they wouldn't be building it's replacement already.

The cost of a BC-303 has to be awesome. If a Nimitz class aircraft carrier costs $4.5 billion each, then the prototype BC-303 probably cost $4-5 billion to design and build. The second one would cost only maybe $2-3 billion to build, since they already had a working design. The longer they use the BC-303 design, the less they have to spend designing a new battlecruiser.

Also, the longer they keep the BC-303 in service, the less they have to spend building new battlecruisers. If a Nimitz class carrier is expected to stay in active service for 40 years, then I could see the Prometheus easily going for half that time. That doesn't mean retiring all 303's in 20 years, that means phasing them out beginning in 20 years. The 303 class design could easily be used for a hundred years.

If you think about it, there is no reason at all to replace the BC-303 at this point in the series. According to the show, it's firepower and defensive capabilities are on par with a Goa'uld Ha'tak cruiser, which is the Goa'uld main battlecruiser. We've never seen a BC-303 going against a Ha'tak, but they're supposed to be evenly matched. So we need alot of 303's to defend ourselves from the bunches of Ha'taks the Goa'uld have.

The Goa'uld capital ships are a different situation. Those things are gigantic. The one Apophis nabbed from Sokar back in season 4 was roughly 5 kilometers in diameter. Anubis' capital ship was even bigger. The 303 simply can't stand up against that sort of crazyness, but a fleet of them loaded with F-302's can.

So, to get back on topic, I'm betting Daedalus is a brand new BC-303. It's been a year since Prometheus entered service, two years since it's first test flight. A second one appearing by the end of this year would be right on schedule.
                              Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Working...
                              X