This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The look of the SG1 movies...

Hello to all..... I really could not find any direct topic on this - considering there is mountains of topics on here, so if this is a repeat I apologize in advance.

What I wanted to discuss was the visual look of the new SG1 (DTV) movies. After watching the series for 10 years, and the saddened news of the series not getting renewed, I am wondering about how the movies will look. While I have been trying to keep up with all the talk on the movies, which there is not too much right now, I have not heard a lot about the visuals of these two movies.

I am curious to know if the movies will be similar to the style and look of the series? While I have no real issues with the series visually, I would think that this is an oppertunity to make the movies seem film-like (if you know what I mean). I think there is a better chance that these will do real well if the style does not resemble the series visually...and make it look like real films.

What do you all think?

It'll probably turn out something like 'Lost City' I'd imagine.

Comment

Well I herd they have a pretty big budget for the movie, one report saying six million dollars.

That pretty big to play with when you consider most of the sets are probably constructed and costumes and most of the cgi models already built.

And their the awsome submarine shots, which I am sure will probably turn out to be some of the most expensive shooting they have ever done.

I think both films will probably be better than even the lost city episode, after all I think their are scenes in Atlantis, the attack on asuras being one of them look better than any visual in lost city did.

Comment

The movies are gonna be B%$#&-in!

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
          Well I herd they have a pretty big budget for the movie, one report saying six million dollars.

That pretty big to play with when you consider most of the sets are probably constructed and costumes and most of the cgi models already built.

And their the awsome submarine shots, which I am sure will probably turn out to be some of the most expensive shooting they have ever done.

I think both films will probably be better than even the lost city episode, after all I think their are scenes in Atlantis, the attack on asuras being one of them look better than any visual in lost city did.
          I think you misunderstood by what I was meaning.

I wasn't talking about the VFX, it was referring to the 'look' of how it will end up on screen.

Not to mention 'Lost City' was in 2004, while 'First Strike' was in 2007. Over the space of 3 years, technology has gotten better but mainly the sfx people have gotten more experienced in how they do the stuff these days. So obviously the effects that they do will be much better compared to 3 years previously.

What the OP was meaning is how it will look on the DVD's. Will they try & give it a hollywood movie look, or will they shoot it more along the lines of what they did in the episodes.

That's why I suggested 'LC', because that was originally supposed to be a movie, but that idea was canned after it got renewed for another season & shown as the season finale instead.

I'm sure they know what they are doing though, although the 1st film seems far more appealing than the 2nd!

Comment

Originally posted by monkey_man132 View Post
            The movies are gonna be B%$#&-in!
            I will definitely second that.

I'm sure they'll have the same feel as the series, maybe just on a bit of a grander stage.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

i think they will try and make it a little more hollywood, but not comprimise on the style we are used to, as you say LC was written as a movie, but they still shot it more like a normal episode, they probably knew by then it was just going to be a 2 parter, but with these movies they always were and always will be considered as movies, not to mention the fact that the budget is so much higher than a normal ep because they are only making 2 movies in the place of 22 45 minute shows.
              Spoiler:
              Disclaimer:
              I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
              Quotes!
              - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
              - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
              - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
              sigpic

Comment

This is like asking whether a baby will look more like the mum or the dad, before it is even born. Wait and see, its useless to speculate.
                Xtremixt

All was shattered, and all but memory lost, and one memory above all others, of him who brought the shadow and the breaking of the world. And him they named Dragon.

Comment

it maybe useless to speculate but there's no harm in it
                  Spoiler:
                  Disclaimer:
                  I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                  Quotes!
                  - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                  - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                  - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                  sigpic

Comment

I still don't understand what you mean by "look"
                    are you talking about vfx? sets? camera work? staging?

Comment

He's on about when they touch up the filming afterwards, it's hard to explain. I used to think it was the types of cameras they use but I don't actually think that's the case. Just look a film and then look at Stargate, the picture just seems 'richer' when made for big films... bah, well I know what I mean anyway

Comment

On the lines of the 'X Files' movies? Or even the original Stargate movie. They have a less 'cramped' feel, sort of visually 'spread' out... hmm, it is difficult to explain but this is how I understand what you are saying.

Or I'm just odd and missed the point completely!!!

Comment

Yeah, the filters used on the television footage is different from the ones used on theatrical films. Then there are other some other standard practices used in television that are different from movies, such as camera work, soundtracks, although they have slowly been converging as TV networks have been trying to "sell" the 'home theater' concept.

Just watch the original Stargate movie and compare it to the SG-1 Pilot movie. You can see the differences there. Both movies owned, but the style of presentation is different.

Frankly I don't think it will matter much what 'style' the new SG-1 movies use. As long as the story and acting is good, and the graphics don't suck.

Comment

so you're talking about post processing

I think ever since they moved to HD it's been terrible
                            there is too much contrast and reflections in the image and the color filters really suck
                            I think they should try dim the lighting on the sets

I doubt they're gonna shoot it on film though as it's a direct-to-dvd movie.

Comment

I'm hoping it would NOT be the same look, but grander.

Like Sateda, but only BIGGER.

Comment

Working...
                              X