PDA

View Full Version : Is Heros a xmen rip?

Hypochondriac
May 28th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Just started watching the show. Love it so far because was able to see the whole season on nbc website. but isn't it basically xmen and mutant x?

P-90_177
May 28th, 2007, 02:56 PM
i've always thought so.

sueKay
May 28th, 2007, 02:57 PM
I don't care - it's better than X-Men :D

And I love X-Men too btw :)

Avenger
May 28th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Any show that deals with people and super powers is going to be similar to X-men or any other series of super hero comics.

sueKay
May 28th, 2007, 03:02 PM
And we live in the postmodern era - there is no original thought anymore

the fifth man
May 28th, 2007, 06:10 PM
It's X-Men without the costumes.;) Nothing wrong with that either.

marty2006
May 28th, 2007, 06:19 PM

Lol thats what i say x-men without the tight leather

Archaeis
May 28th, 2007, 07:41 PM
It's made to be a more realistic x-men. The powers are a lot more biologically based than energy based and the behavior is a lot more in tune with modern society without a lot of over-the-top behavior. Of course, that could all change next season.

Trek_Girl42
May 29th, 2007, 06:00 PM
I don't think it can be called a rip per se. And not an homage either. As Suekay said, there is no original thought anymore. ;)

And no one dare compare Heroes to that horrifying show that is Mutant X. Aside from Superpowers they differ greatly- due to the fact that Mutant X is extremely painful to watch. And Heroes is very fun.

Archaeis
May 29th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I agree, Mtuant X is one of the worst show in the genre, period.

Pharaoh Atem
May 29th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Just started watching the show. Love it so far because was able to see the whole season on nbc website. but isn't it basically xmen and mutant x?

it's x-men but more realistic. . :cool:

Buddhawasanancient
May 30th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Kinda...But it's too good a show for that to matter...

monkey_man132
May 30th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Its a great show, but the X-men animated series is the greatest animated show of all time IMO. Its not a rip there very different I have X-men animated series on DVD (unofficial release ;) ) and I can never get enough. Thats the only cartoon I watch. I'm talking about this one. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men_%28TV_series%29)

Exiled Master
May 30th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Heroes = X-Men - Marvel continuity + Dr. Surresh + Politics (not centered around mutants)

YodaMate
May 30th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Heroes owes a lot to X-Men, but X-Men should be grateful because it's a very classy show with its own vibe ;) :)

Heroes is supposed to be essentially a comic on the tv. I've recently been reading the heroes comics and this fact shines through. They've also taken care to try to reverse or avoid famous X-Men stereotypes (i'm only familiar with the movie versions) ;

Wolverine/Claire. Angry, rough and world-weary man, now innocent, sweet teenage girl with no claws.

Angel/Nathan. The wings are gone, Nathan is older, originally comfortable with his assertive personality and is already in a position of power and respect (rather than other way round). Unlike Angel, he has no real desire to fly. You could also contrast Nathan's flying issues with Superman's blase and cliched globe-trotting.

Rogue/Peter. Both share a great deal of angst and soul-searching, but not the same gender and different age brackets. Rogue has ditched her old family in search of a new, Peter relies upon and wants to see the good in his own family. Plus, Peter's ability to simply absorb and use powers later is much cooler, and he endangers entire cities rather than one person at a time.

Shadowcat/DL Hawkins. The power to phase now belongs to a cool black male ex-con, as opposed to a teenage girl, enough said.

rockerlad
June 2nd, 2007, 06:04 AM
I don't care - it's better than X-Men :D

And I love X-Men too btw :)

it is far better than x men

The Prophet
June 2nd, 2007, 06:48 AM
X-Men, 4400, Mutant X, Heroes... :P

Superpowers is a popular genre these days...

ToasterOnFire
June 2nd, 2007, 07:12 AM
Yeah, Heroes is extremely similar to X men. Ordinary people gaining great powers and deciding whether to use their powers to help others or for their own selfish causes. Heroes emphasizes the characters, drama, and their internal struggle while X men emphasizes more of the fights and nonstop enemies.

Doze
June 4th, 2007, 12:41 PM
I don't think it can be called a rip per se. And not an homage either. As Suekay said, there is no original thought anymore. ;)
Agreed!

IcyNeko
June 4th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I like it better than X-Men because it's not overpowered. Most comic series overdo it, and go from being "a few people with extra powers" to "ZOMG WE BE FIGHTING ALIENS AND ZOMG DARK PHOENIX ZOMGOZMGAG SAEV TEH WORLD FROM MONSTOORS".

classygirl
June 7th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I watched the x men (movies and the cartoon) and the mutant x (tv show). All of these are about mutants but I don't think the storyline of any of them is closely related. Shows that copy others usually get cancelled right away.

Kidwizz
June 10th, 2007, 10:51 PM
no. Heroes is good. X-men isnt.

IcyNeko
June 11th, 2007, 01:24 PM
I watched the x men (movies and the cartoon) and the mutant x (tv show). All of these are about mutants but I don't think the storyline of any of them is closely related. Shows that copy others usually get cancelled right away.

Shows that aren't popular and don't stay popular get canceled. Copies have nothing to do with that process. Thanks for paying attention to how things work in the real world.

Doze
June 12th, 2007, 07:47 AM
It's like Underdog with out the dog.

KRiZ
June 12th, 2007, 02:17 PM
no. Heroes is good. X-men isnt.

walking a fine line there buddy, Astonishing Xmen is a great comic book story line, ok some of the tv/film versions havent been much but xmen as a story is exceptionally good.

But more to the point. Heroes isn't an xmen rip, Claire doesnt have claws, no one can control the weather that we've seen, hiro has more powers than night crawler, matt isnt a patch on Xavier (also isnt the leader)

IcyNeko
June 12th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Well, comparing Xmen to Heroes is ridiculous. That's like saying "Flyboys" is a rip off of "Top Gun" just because there are planes being flown.

nekoi
June 15th, 2007, 01:39 AM
The whole people evolving with special powers thing seems to be the only thing relating it to X-Men, other than Hiro's direct reference to Kitty Pryde.

Personally, I find the theme of power and responsibility vs. personal ethics to be more like Spider-man than it would be X-Men. Every character seems to be doing what's right by themselves or for the ones they care about, rather than fighting for a cause and against persecution among humanity.

So basically, no, I don't think it's an X-Men rip off. Any reason I've seen that relates the two appears very closed minded and doesn't seem to take the themes and morals to heart and just focuses on it being in the "super power" genre.

If Paolini were writing Heroes, however... then I bet it'd be exactly like X-Men. :P

June 16th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Any show that deals with people and super powers is going to be similar to X-men or any other series of super hero comics.
Totally agree :)

Starbase
June 16th, 2007, 11:53 AM
I love Heroes, and yes, it shares similarities with X-Men, The 4400 and few other scifi shows. But isn't that the norm these days. Totally original idea's are getting rarer and rarer all the time. Most shows copy something or another.

Trek_Girl42
June 16th, 2007, 04:14 PM
walking a fine line there buddy, Astonishing Xmen is a great comic book story line, ok some of the tv/film versions havent been much but xmen as a story is exceptionally good.

Yes, have to chime in with praises for Astonishing X-Men- fantastic series, definitely recommend it. :D

If Paolini were writing Heroes, however... then I bet it'd be exactly like X-Men. :P
LMAO.....that comment was a little out of the blue, but it gave me a chuckle.

As Starbase said, there are other shows when broken down to their basics, have the similar idea, but beyond that these stories are very different. I initially thought Heroes was going to be too similar to The 4400- and was happily proven wrong, I really enjoy both shows.

Asgard4eva
June 20th, 2007, 12:42 AM
And no one dare compare Heroes to that horrifying show that is Mutant X.

That's because this series failed

Promethius30
June 20th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Is in a way but then if you have any new film or with a people with powers in it then must be a copy of a comic even if they are hardly any new ideas
But heros is better than x-men any day

nekoi
June 20th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Is in a way but then if you have any new film or with a people with powers in it then must be a copy of a comic even if they are hardly any new ideas
But heros is better than x-men any day

In your perspective.

As a comic book fan, I can name a few X-Men series which imho out do HEROES.

Promethius30
June 20th, 2007, 11:47 AM
In your perspective.

As a comic book fan, I can name a few X-Men series which imho out do HEROES.

Yes ok when i put heros is better than x-men any day i should have put IMHO soz
but i do like x-men a lot not that i am a big comic book fan

Elles
June 22nd, 2007, 02:13 PM
*cough* Rising Stars by J. Michael Straczynski *cough*

I suggest that you try to find this graphic novel... I found it at my library.

nekoi
June 23rd, 2007, 07:38 PM
I recomend Astonishing X-Men by Joss Wheadon(sp?)-- very imaginative, intense and enjoyable.

I'm sure that if you actually READ the X-Men comics, it'll come clear that heroes is very different.

Ehecatl
July 3rd, 2007, 07:43 PM
Except for the fact that the mutants gain their powers from a mutant gene where as the the Heroes get their powers from an advancement in their brains.

IcyNeko
July 4th, 2007, 10:25 AM
It's still genetics. :D

memnarch
July 8th, 2007, 01:38 AM
So far no one in Heroes has worn spandex...except maybe Niki...haha

IcyNeko
July 9th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Post Reply is an option, not a divine order from God. You don't need to post if you have nothing to add.

Exiled Master
July 9th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Now that I think about it, Heroes takes on a Civil War quality in 'Five Years Later'. Except that they replace registration with genocide.

jesserella
July 11th, 2007, 03:14 AM
i loved the x men catroons, but i think heroes is pretty different, there are similarities but with the mutant topic it couldn't be avoided

penguininablender
July 11th, 2007, 09:05 AM
heroes is a 4400 rip, not Xmen

jesserella
July 11th, 2007, 11:51 AM
i havn't seen the 4400 but i guess the premise could be serious, but i don't like to think that heroes is ripping off anything, i find it quite different from most hero type things, its just similar because of the theme

penguininablender
July 11th, 2007, 11:54 AM
The 4400 (which came out first), Is about a group of people who were wbducted through out time(I will admit, this part is different). They are sent back with powers given to them (all 4400 of them). The point is that in the future, the world is destroyed and it is up to these 4400 to stop that. And one character, much like Sylar, who is possibly on the bad side, sucks the power out of others. I dont like heroes because it is so similar

jesserella
July 11th, 2007, 12:40 PM
oh, i love heroes, but then ive never seen the 4400 :)

penguininablender
July 11th, 2007, 03:31 PM
yeah, I have tried both and the 4400 came out victorious :Dlol. I do see the appeal of heroes though

Easter Lily
July 16th, 2007, 05:09 PM
It is unlikely that Heroes would be able to strike a cord with the audience if it didn't draw on aspects of the superhero genre but I do think it is fundamentally different to X-Men in spite of all its obvious borrowing of the large ideas.
To me Heroes is about the drama of people trying to deal with their abilities... trying to understand if it's gift or a curse. I like the family aspect of the show.

tombombadil
July 20th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Well in the first few episodes Hiro directly mentions x-men and the basic idea is the same, evolved humans with super powers. But the show actually credited the comic watchmen at least once.

tombombadil
July 20th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Also in the episode "unexpected" Stan "The Man" Lee, The God Of Marvel Comics, actually makes a brief appearance, so yes it is a bit of an "X-ripoff"

Nuallain
August 8th, 2007, 03:02 AM
No more than X-Men is a rip off of Doom Patrol, no.

The Prophet
August 8th, 2007, 05:48 AM
X-Men has had so many Plot Lines and Story Arcs that it's obviously going to have some simularities to many Super-Power-Genred Shows.

4400 is rather different though, being that it's how they're persecuted by society, and how they fit into the world, now that they've had these powers thrust upon them (And how they delt with being displaced in time). Also, now that any Average Joe can (50% of the time) develop powers. Also, it shows the flip side, how the Government (NTAC) is dealing with them all.

Heroes, is more about how specific people are coping with their powers, and how they're coming to terms with it, as opposed to society on a whole (Although, they did show this in Five Years Gone). Also, the powers tend to be more Down-To-Earth than X-Men, and perhaps 4400 too (Although, to some extent the 4400 Powers are believable, Heroes Powers are more so, in my opinion). Also, Heroes is, obviously, a take/ based upon the Comic Book Genre, which the 4400 isn't.

Sp!der
August 26th, 2007, 09:49 AM
It is better than Mutant X (not that difficult ;) it is better than the 4400 and better than X-Men...but not better hatn Lost and Stargate :)

IcyNeko
August 27th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Thanks for your OH SO contributive post that you felt you had to revive a 20-day old thread to post.

Darkstar 2.0
August 31st, 2007, 03:39 AM

Not yet it isn't, the costumes will probably come later, any freak with a taste for lycra is going to don a suit, and besides, we can expect the costumes to look better than any before them because........well trends change :D

IcyNeko
August 31st, 2007, 06:52 AM
Well, realistically, it wouldn't be very advantageous to wear a costume. you don't really want people to know who you are, out of fear, or out of hate... but in all actuality, you just don't want them to even notice you're there. Try to blend in as much as possible.

If nothing else, the only thing I'd want to wear is comfortable clothes that move with me, so that I'm not obstructed by them. Maybe a pair of sunglasses. :D

Phenix
October 10th, 2007, 07:52 PM
The 4400 (which came out first), Is about a group of people who were wbducted through out time(I will admit, this part is different). They are sent back with powers given to them (all 4400 of them). The point is that in the future, the world is destroyed and it is up to these 4400 to stop that. And one character, much like Sylar, who is possibly on the bad side, sucks the power out of others. I dont like heroes because it is so similar

Wish I didn't read this. I'm in the process of getting 4400 :(

Cycrow
October 14th, 2007, 03:51 PM
4400 is a good show.

and althou some parts are the same, ie, its modern day earth where humans have special powers. The actual stories are quite different.

for one, the 4400 is public knowledge, and came about suddenly.

whereas heroes, these thigns have built up gradulaly, and is still fairly secret.

but then, u even get special powers in other shows like Stargate

Ehecatl
October 16th, 2007, 07:48 PM
In Heroes people believe the powers come from genetic advancement, but in X-Men they call it a mutation. Also in X-Men people are aware that people have powers where as in Heroes it is somewhat of a secret.

layla17
October 17th, 2007, 05:46 AM
IMO Heroes shares common elements with the 4400 and X-Men, but the writers take their own approach to the super powers and create new and original ideas in the episodes, so it's worth watching.

IcyNeko
October 17th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Well, Xmen's powers seem to manifest very early on, and as kids, the mutants are aware of their abilities.

In Heroes, the power manifests randomly, seemingly tied with the eclipse.

October 17th, 2007, 09:22 AM
i thought most people got thier powers about 6 months before the eclipse?

IcyNeko
October 17th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Solar eclipses must happen a lot. or they amplify their power growth?

Or signal to the heroes that an epic adventure is about the begin?

Mardius
November 6th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Heroes has alot of different elements, Xmen 4400 but probably the most Predominate "rip" if you will would be to the Watchman

also found it funny that Stan Lee made the cameo but the Heroes comic is getting published by DC hehe

Bey0nd
June 7th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I think Heroes is a much different show because of its overall story arc, the family interaction, the predictions in paintings, the company, the election, the Sylar story, the virus, the cheerleader....these all give the series its unquie flavor.

However I agree it shares many similarities with comic books that's because if you enter the comicbook genre and unless you have something completely fresh your going to be borrowing from Stan Lee, Frank Miller or people like JerrySiegel/JoeShuster

Dare to compare them ?
Or their superpowers at least

DL = Kitty Pride's walk through walls power
Hiro Nakamura teleporting = Nightcrawler teleporting
Claire Bennet's power = Wolverine's healing power
Candice Wilmer's shape shifting = Mystique's shape shifting
Ted Sprague = Nova ? Zzzax? Radioactive Man ? (Ok they are not Xmen and come from Avengers or Hulk comics)
Claude = Invisibleman or Invisible woman (fantastic 4)
Niki/Jessica = Two-Face/Harvey Dent (Batman comics) or Banner/Hulk
Peter Petrelli = Rouge
NathanPetrelli/Flyingman = ClarkKent/Superman
The Haitian & Matt Parkman = Powers of Professor X
Molly Walker = Cerebro (Xmen movies)

also found it funny that Stan Lee made the cameo but the Heroes comic is getting published by DC hehe

Stan Lee is not Marvel, although his best and most original ideas were Marvel Comics he also works for other companies. DC Comics also employed him where he remade the images of Aqua man, Catwoman, Batman, Flash, Green Lantern etc

stargatefanatic
July 2nd, 2008, 05:26 PM
x-men is based on a mutant gene.
heroes is based on just a different kind of genes, not mutant.

stargatefanatic
July 2nd, 2008, 05:29 PM
I think Heroes is a much different show because of its overall story arc, the family interaction, the predictions in paintings, the company, the election, the Sylar story, the virus, the cheerleader....these all give the series its unquie flavor.

However I agree it shares many similarities with comic books that's because if you enter the comicbook genre and unless you have something completely fresh your going to be borrowing from Stan Lee, Frank Miller or people like JerrySiegel/JoeShuster

Dare to compare them ?
Or their superpowers at least

DL = Kitty Pride's walk through walls power
Hiro Nakamura teleporting = Nightcrawler teleporting
Claire Bennet's power = Wolverine's healing power
Candice Wilmer's shape shifting = Mystique's shape shifting
Ted Sprague = Nova ? Zzzax? Radioactive Man ? (Ok they are not Xmen and come from Avengers or Hulk comics)
Claude = Invisibleman or Invisible woman (fantastic 4)
Niki/Jessica = Two-Face/Harvey Dent (Batman comics) or Banner/Hulk
Peter Petrelli = Rouge
NathanPetrelli/Flyingman = ClarkKent/Superman
The Haitian & Matt Parkman = Powers of Professor X
Molly Walker = Cerebro (Xmen movies)

Stan Lee is not Marvel, although his best and most original ideas were Marvel Comics he also works for other companies. DC Comics also employed him where he remade the images of Aqua man, Catwoman, Batman, Flash, Green Lantern etc

cerebro is a MACHINE made by Professor X. DUH